Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: You Also Have A Pizza

• Start Topic

Are we supposed to hate Larry? Because I do.  I can't remember what he was like in the book....but I'm pretty sure he wasn't so douchey, right?

I think Larry in the book was the exact opposite of Larry on the show.  

(edited)

We were told in S1 that Poussay's father was military and that's how she got her name (something about him being stationed in France). So her Euro background did not surprise me or feel left-fielded. She obviously has a talent for language, and that can include mimicking any vernacular.

Eta reading some of Jason Biggs' tweets made me retroactively hate the character.

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 3
Are we supposed to hate Larry? Because I do.  I can't remember what he was like in the book....but I'm pretty sure he wasn't so douchey, right?

Nah, he seemed like a pretty great guy in the book, actually.  I almost kind of feel bad for real Larry, but I think he's gonna be alright.  heh.  It did amuse me when I read an interview with Kerman where she said she and Larry sat down with his parents to prep them for the show and how much it would diverge from their own lives and how they really shouldn't think of the fictional characters as representing them.  

This Poussey and Taystee stuff is breaking my heart.  Friends, more than friends, whatever - I just want them together, and Vee was free to go DIAF as soon as she started stirring up trouble between them.

I thought Poussey's backstory was pretty good.  I thought the core of it - that she has incredibly strong feelings that she tries to play off as nothing - was true to what we know about her, and I loved her dad telling her girlfriend's dad that there was nothing wrong with her. 

As far as language usage goes, it's definitely vernacular, and it's no indication of how educated they are.  Look at Taystee; she often speaks the same way, but she's obviously very grammar-savvy.  I love the bit in last season's finale where she and Piper are looking at Tucky's note.  "See, they meant 'you're (apostrophe R-E) gonna die' - this some ignorant bitch-ass shit."  Black vernacular English might SEEM less "proper" than standard American English - double negatives, nonstandard verb conjugation, and so forth - but really, it's just different.  It has its own norms and unspoken rules that aren't the same as those for standard American English.

God help me, I think I ship Suzanne and Morello a little bit.  Puts a whole new meaning to "I hope those two crazy kids get together."  Their scene together was great, and I've loved seeing Suzanne get a little more involved in the Litchfield community this season.

Also, I think there are some unhidden spoilers cropping up on this thread.  I don't remember anything about

Poussey selling pot

in this episode.

• Love 6

I could be mistaken, although I don't remember it being mentioned in season one.  I guess I'm just wary about spoilers right now, and I kind of go into defense-mode whenever I read something that doesn't seem familiar to me (so glad Previously has a good spoiler policy for Netflix shows like OitNB!)  Sorry if I'm jumping at shadows.

Forgot to mention a few more bits I loved.  Soso's ramblings about Ferris Bueller were terrific.  It was fun to watch Sister gradually reach her breaking point, and Sophia's skeptical "Bitch, please" face was priceless.  Also, I adored Suzanne's explanation of what love means to her, really lovely.

This episode was very well done.  They were all seeking relationships they could not have or that just don't work at the moment.  It showed them all pursuing what they can't have or what they know is not right for the time being.  I thought this was one off the better episodes so far (havent finished the whole season)

Are we supposed to hate Larry? Because I do.  I can't remember what he was like in the book....but I'm pretty sure he wasn't so douchey, right?

I have always found him kind of douchey.  He is like the moon.  He seems to have had little purpose or direction in his life except for Piper, now without her he doesn't know what to do.  He kind of tries to be a writer, but not too hard.  Seems like a 20 something who is smart and well educated but where his parents have always supported him and never forced him to make it on his own.  Piper had the upper hand in the relationship because he likely acted like he was just lucky to be with her.  Douchey is a good word for it. 

And I mean Larry on the show.  I have not read the book

I find myself liking Suzanne more and more each episode.  Sure, she's unstable and maybe unsettling and perhaps a couple sandwiches short of a picnic, but she really does seem to have a good heart.  And to be confused.  I hate seeing Vee manipulate her the way she is.  The actress playing Suzanne is doing an amazing job.

Poussey made me sad.  In my head, I figured her mom was already gone in one way or another, and that her dad died not too long after the Germany incident, and then  she really went off the rails, ending up in Litchfield.  Not based on anything, just what went through my head while watching.  

I don't find her in-prison speaking style to seem out of character, given her backstory.  She was an army kid, and she said she moved around a lot - kids like that often develop an ability to blend in to whatever environment they find themselves in, like chameleons.  If Poussey was a real person, it would be likely that it wasn't even something she did consciously.  So while in prison, she is going to communicate in the same style as the people around her; had she ended up in a prison in the deep south, we would probably be seeing a completely different style of speaking.  But, in her conversations with Taystee in the library, the two of them sometimes adopt a different communication style, one they don't seem to use with others in the prison.  I may have over-thought it, but I find it all fascinating.  

• Love 3

I'm glad they finally revealed Vee's 'plan', but I think they six episodes was too long. I was getting bored and she was coming off as one-note.

I'm glad to finally see some background with Poussey. This season has been great with getting into everyone's stories. 

And I spoke too soon in the last episode thread about how they weren't focusing too much on Daya and Bennett so far, but at least he's getting blackmailed. 

They bore me too because they're both kind of dumb, but now Bennett is getting the screws put to him, so I'm interested in how he's going to deal with it. Also, "I'd like a phone with a camera." ha ha ha.

"We're wasting the best years or our lives in here." This cracked me up because it's not like they were talking about being trapped in a crappy town working a shit job. You're in jail! It's not like you don't belong there!

I don't miss the Alex/Piper relationship because it's so toxic and lopsided. They are both so much better off without each other.

I don't miss this one bit. I'm way more interested in everyone else, and how Piper is going to work this investigation.

Fun Fact - "You Slay Me" is actually sung by Nick Sandow who plays Joe Caputo.

The band was a great side plot, and that was a good song! I felt bad for Caputo because you know you got no shot if the girl you invited out brings everyone from work. Though I don't know why she was flirting with the electrician guy. He's a moron.

I loved her dad telling her girlfriend's dad that there was nothing wrong with her.

It would have been cheesy on another show, but that was a great moment because, as others have said, Poussey seems to have a good relationship with the dad, so I wonder what the hell happened. 

I have always found him kind of douchey.  He is like the moon.  He seems to have had little purpose or direction in his life except for Piper, now without her he doesn't know what to do. 

He didn't really know what to do when he was with Piper. I'm actually interested where this plot is going because Polly wasn't pulling away from him and getting all freaked out. 

If Poussey was a real person, it would be likely that it wasn't even something she did consciously.  So while in prison, she is going to communicate in the same style as the people around her; had she ended up in a prison in the deep south, we would probably be seeing a completely different style of speaking.

The simplest or most direct answer is probably correct. If she was involved with criminals or a gang as a result of going to jail she probably hid her education to fit in. This would include talking like everyone else. And certainly in jail she's going to hide that because she'd be sure to get beat up. 

I was rewatching this episode and noticed that they included dialogue to illustrate Poussey's use of language.  Her first flashback scene she and gf are speaking German when the dude shows up speaking English.  She says "We're part of a community.  Respect the language."

• Love 13

I find myself liking Suzanne more and more each episode. Sure, she's unstable and maybe unsettling and perhaps a couple sandwiches short of a picnic, but she really does seem to have a good heart. And to be confused. I hate seeing Vee manipulate her the way she is. The actress playing Suzanne is doing an amazing job.

Poussey made me sad. In my head, I figured her mom was already gone in one way or another, and that her dad died not too long after the Germany incident, and then she really went off the rails, ending up in Litchfield. Not based on anything, just what went through my head while watching.

I don't find her in-prison speaking style to seem out of character, given her backstory. She was an army kid, and she said she moved around a lot - kids like that often develop an ability to blend in to whatever environment they find themselves in, like chameleons. If Poussey was a real person, it would be likely that it wasn't even something she did consciously. So while in prison, she is going to communicate in the same style as the people around her; had she ended up in a prison in the deep south, we would probably be seeing a completely different style of speaking. But, in her conversations with Taystee in the library, the two of them sometimes adopt a different communication style, one they don't seem to use with others in the prison. I may have over-thought it, but I find it all fascinating.

I'm with you. More than really ignorant, Poussey has always struck me as being institutionalized. She would have moments of another life slipping in, but I always got the impression that she was serving a pretty long sentence and had adjusted to her enviroment. She's one if the characters that never seems to talk about when she gets out so I thought her release date might be so far away she doesn't even bother to try and remember life outside of prison. Nicky can be the same way. You get hints of her uber privileged childhood, but a lot of the time she could have just been another trashy girl destined for prison. I always feel like Nicky's been in for a long time and she's going to be in for a long time and remembering how fancy she used to be is pointless so she doesn't do it a lot.

(edited)

What is the title referring to?  I just watched the episode, and I must have missed it

I agree that Piper and Nicky have some of the best lines/scenes this season; I like them more than Piper and Alex.  In fact, I don't want to see Piper and Alex together ever again.  I think they suck.

Edited by Billina

What is the title referring to?  I just watched the episode, and I must have missed it

One of the girls, when asked what love is, talks about blue skies and good feelings bubbling up inside or some similar Hallmark card things, then says "and you also have a pizza".

I agree that Piper and Nicky have some of the best lines/scenes this season; I like them more than Piper and Alex. In fact, I don't want to see Piper and Alex together ever again. I think they suck.

Ha! Well, I wouldn't go that far (I only feel the need to clarify because you were agreeing with me.) I really love Nicky and Piper's banter. However Piper and Alex may be the hottest thing I've ever seen on tv. So more of that, too, please.

Poussey made me sad.  In my head, I figured her mom was already gone in one way or another, and that her dad died not too long after the Germany incident, and then  she really went off the rails, ending up in Litchfield.  Not based on anything, just what went through my head while watching

I'm pretty sure her dad is still alive and kicking.  I was doing a re-watch of S1, and one of the episodes (forgot which) has a scene where Piper is in the visiting room with someone (again, forgot who lol) and in the background you get a brief glimpse of Poussey sitting down with a man in military fatigues who I'm pretty sure was the same actor who plays her dad in season2.

who I'm pretty sure was the same actor who plays her dad in season2.

If so that is some really great planning ahead/continuity!! I wonder what happened though that set her on the path to going to jail. I hope we get even more backstory! 

And of course, in season one, we also hear that her name is from "a place in France where [her] daddy served, and kings was born and shit," so they definitely had the army brat thing planned

• Love 1

Nice episode.  I was wondering when they'd finally have Bennett smuggle something in his leg.  Did he already do that with the vitamins for Daya and she told her mom who then got him to smuggle in more stuff?

And the culmination of both Vee and Red's plans.  Going to be interesting to see how it all works out.  Red's stuff is relatively harmless and Caputo was right, keeps the women happy, nothing really illegal, so its all good.  But then Mendez had to go a fuck it all up.  Vee's business looks like it will start with tobacco or pot, but then could easily lead to other stuff. 

I like that Poussay isn't buying what Vee is selling.  I too wonder what she did that warranted such a long sentence and its too bad she couldn't help Taystee more on the outside.

Poor Caputo is just losing all the way around.

Like Piper Mars, investigator.  Larry is a major douche alright.

I'm with you. More than really ignorant, Poussey has always struck me as being institutionalized. She would have moments of another life slipping in, but I always got the impression that she was serving a pretty long sentence and had adjusted to her enviroment. She's one if the characters that never seems to talk about when she gets out so I thought her release date might be so far away she doesn't even bother to try and remember life outside of prison. Nicky can be the same way. You get hints of her uber privileged childhood, but a lot of the time she could have just been another trashy girl destined for prison. I always feel like Nicky's been in for a long time and she's going to be in for a long time and remembering how fancy she used to be is pointless so she doesn't do it a lot.

I remember Poussey telling Taystee in season one that she had a six year sentence (she has already served two years). It was the episode after Taystee comes back to Litchfield and Poussey was telling her about her mother's death in the library.

I also recall Nicky telling Alex, in the fourth episode of the first season, that she had two years remaining on her five year sentence.

This episode was a good one, and against by better judgment, the scene at the end with Penntaucky and Healy got to me a little bit.

I have to wonder how Red's son was able to find the other end of the drainpipe (outside the prison). Did he just look in the woods and stumble upon it?

Edited by jsm1125

I finally rewatched this episode and Ep 5 on my computer, which showed the subtitles.  Makes a huge difference to actually know what they're saying!

I didn't see subtitles for the German, which is weird because I saw them for other episodes that had Spanish (but i'lm watching downloaded episodes, so quality probably varies). I thought they left out the German ones intentionally but evidently not. So I think I got the gist of the story- Poussey is in Germany where her dad is stationed, hooked up with a blond girl, her dad caught them and he engineered a transfer of Poussey's dad back to the U.S. Was anything else important said in the subtitles that i missed?