Type keyword(s) to search

Live With Kelly And Mark - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I stopped watching about 3 months ago because I couldn't take Kelly talking over Michael anymore.  It made me nuts.  I don't know how he could stand it (apparently he couldn't).

• Love 5

I am hoping Anderson Cooper gets it. I don't like Jerry O'connell. Maybe Regis will try out haha

Yes, I really like Anderson Cooper too, but I think he already has a full plate.  He works well with Kelly, because they're friends, but I don't think he'd fair well with another female host, especially one waaaaay smarter than Kelly.  Just sayin'.

• Love 1

I'm pretty shocked. He's only been on 3 or so years. The good bet would be Anderson Cooper but he also does a lot of reporting in the fields for CNN. That's not a dependable schedule for LIVE.

I am hoping Anderson Cooper gets it. I don't like Jerry O'connell. Maybe Regis will try out haha

I'm listening to Anderson Cooper's 90-minute interview with Howard Stern from Monday, and it's clear this guy's a workaholic.

And while doing  Live full-time will enable him to keep one of his 2 jobs (probably 60 minutes), I think he likes being in the news business. And isn't ready to give that up.

I wonder if Strahan hated Kelly. He seemed like a perfect fit for that show.

I wonder if Strahan hated Kelly. He seemed like a perfect fit for that show.

That or if he reaaally likes the GMA crew enough to say "I'm more than willing to wake up a lot earlier for more than twice a week for this gig."  His interview skills are not the best, but clearly he's looking for more outside of football analysis (I wonder if he gets to keep that gig?) and celeb interviews.

Michael had a easy and high paying gig. I'm surprised that he is giving it up after 4 years. Apparently, he is still keeping his FOX gig along with working full time on GMA. I guess he was happier during his two day week gig at GMA compared to doing LIVE 5 days a week. Whether it was Kelly, Gelman, Host Chat or just plain ole money he wants to bolt.

TMZ is saying that GMA made a very lucrative offer to Strahan that he couldn't refuse and claims their sources are saying Michael, George and Robin are the glue that keeps GMA together.  Hopefully that means Lara Spencer is on her way out.

Despite hopes and fantasies, I think money trumped any like or dislike he may have had for Kelly.  (Which I don't believe he disliked her, the Post would have been all over it if that was the case.  It's funny how the tabloids miss all this animus everyone, besides Rosie O'Donnell, has for Kelly.)

• Love 3

I bet Jessie Palmer (ex-Bachelor, ex-NFL & current GMA stud) ain't too happy about Strahan getting the full time gig. I do wonder if they will go through a fake on audition for potential new host and then just hire Anderson Coooper anyway.

Edited by ByaNose

I bet Jessie Palmer (ex-Bachelor, ex-NFL & current GMA stud) ain't too happy about Strahan getting the full time gig. I do wonder if they will go through a fake on audition for potential new host and then just hire Anderson Coooper anyway.

Jesse Palmer is lucky to have gone as far as he has.

Palmer also does Thursday Night Football on ESPN. (I'm pretty sure he still does that.) He also works on Saturday doing college football. That's about 4 days a week of work during the football season. (He has to fly in and interview coaches on Wednesday, fly out Friday to ESPN HQ.) So he couldn't do the full-time gig.

Strahan's football gig is mainly on Sundays. And he could fly home on the red eye and work on GMA Monday morning.

• Love 1

I also think Strahan is much closer to Robin Roberts then Kelly, too. I don't think he hates Kelly. I think he considers it a move up with a huge salary. Having multiple homes and alimony cost a lot of money. LOL!!

• Love 4

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in Live's office. I'm sure Kelly and Gelman are fuming. Strahan did seem to be phoning it in for the past several weeks.

Hope the new cohost isn't Jerry O'Connell. Way too peppy and fake for my taste. Would like to see Anderson but would he give up his other commitments?

• Love 1

Safe to say it wouldn't be Andy Cohen. He & Kelly vacation to much together and this gig would get in the way. LOL!!! I think in the end it will be Anderson Cooper. I know the both of them wanted to do it but the timing was off. Of course, I'm not sure if that's what Gelman & TPTB want. It would also be up to Anderson if he thinks he could do LIVE and Breaking News stuff for CNN. That said, LIVE will milk it all next season with a slew of men sitting in the chair. Fred Savage co-hosted last week and he was hysterical. He's been in LA all his life so I doubt he'd give that up. I'm sure NPH would love the gig but I can only take him in small doses. I think that he thinks that everybody else thinks he's great. LOL!!!

• Love 2

Well, we know that Seth Myers is out. Although, he was really good which is pretty obvi. I'm waiting to hear the leaks of how much he was making with LIVE and how much GMA offered him. I'm still pretty shocked that he is leaving just after 4 years. I guess he wants to do more human interest stories and he doesn't have to be in NYC to the reporting either. I like Jerry O'Connell in really, really, really small doses. He's hysterical but i don't think we could handle him 5 days a week. I know Jeff Probst wanted the gig originally but he's tied to Survivor and the LA life. Who knew that Kelly would have two men leave her? LOL!!!!

• Love 1

Please not NPH or Anderson Cooper. They're both too silly when they're around Kelly.

I'd love the smart Seth Meyers or Chris Harrison who seems to be very sharp, self-deprecating, game for anything.

It will be hard for anyone to be Kelly's co-host. She talks over everyone, draws the attention to herself at every turn, and gives her co-host very little time to speak. That would be tough for anyone with a brain.

• Love 4

Please not NPH or Anderson Cooper. They're both too silly when they're around Kelly.

I'd love the smart Seth Meyers or Chris Harrison who seems to be very sharp, self-deprecating, game for anything.

It will be hard for anyone to be Kelly's co-host. She talks over everyone, draws the attention to herself at every turn, and gives her co-host very little time to speak. That would be tough for anyone with a brain.

MerBearHou...you forgot the most important thing. She makes millions and millions and millions doing that. LOL!!!!!

• Love 1

So did Michael announce his decision on today's show or did the news break during the day?  Curious as to how Kellmee handled it in front of the cameras if and when he mentioned it.

Well, according to the NY Daily News, there was a meeting right after today's show. ABC upper management broke the news to Kelly and Gelman and they were shocked. Michael didn't have to attend the meeting but did out of respect for the two of them. Will be interesting to see how it's handled on tomorrow's show -- yikes and awkward.

• Love 2
Well, according to the NY Daily News, there was a meeting right after today's show. ABC upper management broke the news to Kelly and Gelman and they were shocked. Michael didn't have to attend the meeting but did out of respect for the two of them. Will be interesting to see how it's handled on tomorrow's show -- yikes and awkward.

Oh, this is rich!  I may just have to tune in to see Kellmee give an Emmy winning performance exuding happiness for Michael and his decision.  Would love to be a fly on the wall of Casa Ripsuelos tonight, lol.

• Love 2

So did Michael announce his decision on today's show or did the news break during the day?  Curious as to how Kellmee handled it in front of the cameras if and when he mentioned it.

According to TMZ Michael sat both Kelly and Gelman down after today's show and told them he was leaving. Both were very upset/shocked. I'll definitely be tuning in tomorrow to see how Kelly acts towards Michael.

• Love 2

It's not complete, but I rounded up a list of over 60 people who have guest co-hosted with Kelly Ripa:

Alec Baldwin
Anderson Cooper
Andy Samberg
Apolo Ohno
Ben Mulroney
Boomer Esiason
Bryant Gumbel
Carl Edwards
Carrie Ann Inaba
Carson Kressley
Cat Deeley
Chris Harrison
D.L. Hughley
Dan Abrams
Dana Carvey
Daniel Dae Kim
Daniel Radcliffe
David Duchovny
David Muir
Derek Hough
Ed Robertson
Fred Savage
Howie Mandel
Jeff Probst
Jerry O’Connell
Jerry Seinfeld
Jesse Palmer
Jim Parsons
Jimmy Kimmel
Joel McHale
Jonah Hill
Josh Groban
Kevin Jonas
Kevin Jonas
Kim Kardashian
Kristen Chenoweth
Kyle MacLachlan
L.A. Reid
Lucy Liu
Mario Lopez
Mark Conseulos
Mark Cuban
Mark Feuerstein
Martin Short
Mary J Blige
Mathew Broderick
Matthew Morrison
Michael Buble
Michael Buckley
Michael Strahan
Mike Greenberg
Neil Patrick Harris
Nick Lachey
Pat Kiernan
Peter Facinelli
Randy Jackson
Reggie Bush
Rob Lowe
Sam Champion
Seth Meyers
Taye Diggs
Tony Potts
Tyler Perry

After Regis the three finalists to replace him were Seth Meyers, Josh Groban and Michael Strahan.  

Comments about others on the list:

Most on the list were fine for a one-day fill-in, but would never be in consideration for the permanent job.  Many others very capable (Mario Lopez) already have regular jobs in place.

Mark Conseulos will only be an occasional guest host and never the permanent host.

Anderson Cooper and Kelly consistently deliver fantastic host chats for those opening 15-20 minutes.  If AC is interested it could be a short and easy search.

Jeff Probst and Kelly have perfect chemistry and he should be on the short list this time as his talk show kept him out of the mix the previous go-around.  Survivor tapes back-to-back for both seasons in the summer, so some cooperation with CBS & ABC would be needed.

Howie Mandel, Jerry O'Connell, Jimmy Kimmel &  Joel McHale are great as a guest co-host, but too much to take for the daily gig.

Martin Short is plain too much to consider for more than 1 day.

Neil Patrick Harris is probably too polarizing for the regular gig, but he is quite good with all of the skills needed for the job.

Boomer Esiason was the worst I have ever seen.

I do not think the show would try to copy Kathie Lee & Hoda with a 2-woman show.

Michael Buckley was the winner of a coast-to-coast search, so I'm sure that stunt will be repeated to cover a week's worth of shows.

Most importantly: Producer Michael Gelman and his staff know the show well and will make the correct decision.

• Love 4

Oh, this is rich!  I may just have to tune in to see Kellmee give an Emmy winning performance exuding happiness for Michael and his decision.  Would love to be a fly on the wall of Casa Ripsuelos tonight, lol.

According to TMZ Michael sat both Kelly and Gelman down after today's show and told them he was leaving. Both were very upset/shocked. I'll definitely be tuning in tomorrow to see how Kelly acts towards Michael.

Absolutely guys!!!  Tomorrow is a MUST SEE!!!  I know Kelly will "play it to the hilt".

• Love 1

I'm sure Kelly's training as a soap actress will come in handy. She will be all sunshine & unicorns. She will say how proud she is of him and how lucky GMA is to have him. The will walk out hand & hand like they always do. Of course, she will probably take all of her vacation time from now until August. She won't have time to do it next year with the host hunt. She was probably hoping to have an easy & fun summer getting her son Michael ready for college. Yes, Kelly will be the professional tomorrow and never let on that she loathes him. LOL!!!!!

• Love 2

I'm shocked, then again, not really.  I suppose what shocks me is the way that ABC handled it.  After all, the syndication division is part of ABC.  It's not as if they hired him away from a competitor network.  I suppose Strahan was in contract negotiations (?) or had some type of opt-out (?).  Seems really really odd that the syndication arm would be truly blindsided.

Kelly has a couple years left on her contract and I have always believed that she will be "Regis'd" when her contract comes up (ie offered a huge salary reduction) and she would leave the show

I still think that will happen and her departure will coincide with GMA taking that 9AM hour from its affiliates for GMA Hour Three.  The "Live" franchise will be pushed back to 10AM (or later) on the ABC stations.

I also wonder how this affects the contracts with affiliate stations.  Their contracts are for Kelly and Michael, not Kelly and Mr X.  The TV industry has changed in maor ways in just  the 5 years since Regis was low-balled.  Syndicated chat shows crash and burn regularly.

I am not looking forward to a lengthy co-host search.  I think NPH has the best shot, especially if he is wanting to stay in NYC fulltime and be a "dad" rather than pursue his career.  Yet he might be too pricey.  I could see him agreeing to a contract that coincides with Kelly's remaining tenure. I  think Chris Harrison has a good shot as well, as he is part of ABC already and would likely be dirt cheap. 

• Love 1

Kelly hates the whole concept of The Bachelor and couldn't pretend that she likes it. Who will ultimately decide who gets the job? ABC is the one who hid and dealt the GMA deal. So will they decide who the next host is? Do Gelman or Kelly have any say? You have to think that Kelly feels a little duped by Strahan & ABC. Of course, that's why it's called Show Business, right? She gets paid millions of dollars and probably will just stay quiet so she can enjoy her time in The Hamptons and hanging with her BFF's Cohen, NPH, Anderson Cooper & David Muir. She will keep smiling. It's been a awesome gig for the past 15 years and I doubt she would just quit. I was a huge fan of her for years but in the last few years she got too rich for my taste. I know that's odd to say but I think it changed her. How could it not, right?

• Love 1

I have to say? I like her...I like her WAY more than Wendy Williams who cannot even pronounce a second grade word....to this day I am still shocked to find Wendy Williams being nominated for a daytime Emmy. Kelly isn't perfect..but the fact that she goes to her kid' sports games and gets up in the morning and cooks breakfast...that works for me. My parents were neighbors with Joe & Essie in Berlin, NJ...she really is down to earth...yes, she makes a ton of money but well...she's been in the business for a long time...cripes...if I could make that living I would too! her dad Joe is the nicest guy ever!  Good for her...she's worked and paid her dues.  Her parents still see my parents at the local gatherings from the Berlin, NJ neighborhood get togethers...Granted, they are all senior citizens...but all of us kids grew up to be decent hard working people. I have a 28 year old...he is great..but he is spoiled lol...he could've used some of the tough love us kids got back then lol

• Love 5

Kelly hates the whole concept of The Bachelor and couldn't pretend that she likes it. Who will ultimately decide who gets the job? ABC is the one who hid and dealt the GMA deal. So will they decide who the next host is? Do Gelman or Kelly have any say? You have to think that Kelly feels a little duped by Strahan & ABC. Of course, that's why it's called Show Business, right? She gets paid millions of dollars and probably will just stay quiet so she can enjoy her time in The Hamptons and hanging with her BFF's Cohen, NPH, Anderson Cooper & David Muir. She will keep smiling. It's been a awesome gig for the past 15 years and I doubt she would just quit. I was a huge fan of her for years but in the last few years she got too rich for my taste. I know that's odd to say but I think it changed her. How could it not, right?

Who cares? if you could could make that kind of living are you going to say I wouldnt? Celebrities make money...it's always been that way. Good for her.  Criticizing her for making a lot of money for doing what she does best is odd to me. Should she just quit and not make the living she makes now? Hell...i'd love to be too rich for others people taste.....she is good what she does...good for her.

We got an inadvertent hint from Michael on the Tuesday show:  He menitoned he had 4 margaritas MOnday night.  That would have been when the final details were agreed to on the move.

I completely agree that he has been largely phoning it in.  This has been true for sure since he started his arrangement with GMA.

The fight between ABC News and Buena Vista distribution within Disney will be epic.  My money is on ABC News - ultimate control over content for the 9 o' clock hour.  Yes, LIVE is dirt cheap to actually produce, but the distribution market is becoming more and more dry.  Methinks Gelman is not long for his gig.

The tears we will see from Kelly?  Won't be sadness.  They will come from fear.  This is can't miss TV fer sure.

The next person who best watch his back?  Stephanopoulus.

• Love 4

There are those who contend that Kelly is not good at her job & is highly over-paid for her juvenile contribution.  Just sayin'.

I too don't mind Kelly.  I see her as playing a role.  I think all the morning people do to some extent.  But regarding her high paycheck - the powers that be could "just say no".  they are not required to pay her - there must be something in it for them, ratings, sponsors, profit, etc.  Even without Regis the show continues.  

• Love 4

I know Anna G was scheduled as a guest. I guess she got a call right after the meeting to co-host. Yup! Kelly ain't happy. It will be very telling tomorrow, if she isn't on again.

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 1

I'm also getting the impression that GMA is setting up to take over the 9am slot. Thus the hiring of Michael Strahan. The 9am viewer would be pretty comfortable if he was there....in theory. I guess the question is whether this is ABC's plan and if Buena Vista has any power to stop it.

• Love 1

I know Anna G was scheduled as a guest. I guess she got a call right after the meeting to co-host. Yup! Kelly ain't happy. It will be very telling tomorrow, if she isn't on again.

Really? She's not listed as a guest on my cable company's guide (which doesn't mean much, though they're usually correct) OR on Live's website.

Edited by designing1
  • Love 1

Wait, what? Strahan is leaving! (yes, I'm behind on my entertainment news...) Always knew he wanted to do more serious stuff, but not sure GMA is it. Full time on GMA, the host for @100,000 Pyramid AND I think he's still doing Sunday's FOX NFL Sunday show (he's better keep doing that one)!!

This guy must not sleep. Ever.

TVLine - Strahan leaving for Full Time GMA Gig

Kelly Ripa MIA on Live in Wake of Michael Strahan's Surprise Exit News