Type keyword(s) to search

Live With Kelly And Mark - General Discussion

• Start Topic

It was Kelly's 15th anniversary show. It was ok. They showed clips with Regis but she never mentioned him by names. All her male BFf's Neil Patrick Harris, Anderson Cooper, Andy Cohen & David Muir. Cher called in. I've been watching the show since it was Regis & Kathie Lee but i really liked the Regis & Kelly years the most. The show was on fire. Now, when I watch now (which is rare) I think she's all about money & the Hamptons. LOL!!

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 2

Hardly. Did you watch her Sweet 15 show? Seeing the assorted clip montages, there's been all sorts of stuff going on in the past 15 years.

To me, Regis was a cranky old man who only liked talking about football in his shouty voice. Michael is a breath of fresh air, and it's clear that he and Kelly like each other and have a natural friendship and chemistry for this type of show. With Regis, it was more like an old TV has-been tolerating the bubbly young up-and-comer. It's so much more fun to watch now.

The 15 show was fun, and Kelly was clearly touched by the tribute. That was a nice, heartfelt thank you at the end.

For all the naysayers claiming her marriage is over, her kids hate her, she's unpleasant to work with, TPTB want to get rid of her.... yeah, sure. Unless all her coworkers, family and friends are all really good actors, which begs the question - why? Of course, maybe she's just well-liked by her coworkers, family and other people in the entertainment industry.

• Love 2

I watched his morning, too. There has to be something to the stories of bad blood between Regis and Kelly/the show. Even if he couldn't show up in person, you would think he would have at least called in. I really kept thinking he was going to pop in as one of the surprise guests. David Muir?? I did enjoy going down memory lane with the show and especially seeing Kelly's kids grow up on TV. Kelly seemed to be genuinely touched and humbled. Having said all that, it is evident that Kelly has not aged as well as she could have. She was adorable - of course it's been 15 years - but if she hadn't gone down the excessive exercise and diet path I think she would look 10 years younger. That whole aspect of her persona - the obvious issues she has with weight and body image and the constant need to portray herself as the life of every party - is the one thing that I dislike about her as a host. I like that she is funny and very quick, but her fixation on being the thinnest and fittest is a big turn-off.

• Love 4

I enjoyed the show very much.  It was a nice walk down memory lane.

Shermie said: "For all the naysayers claiming her marriage is over, her kids hate her, she's unpleasant to work with, TPTB want to get rid of her.... yeah, sure. Unless all her coworkers, family and friends are all really good actors, which begs the question - why? Of course, maybe she's just well-liked by her coworkers, family and other people in the entertainment industry."

She may have her personal issues inside her own head, but people seem to like/love her.  I find her very entertaining.

• Love 2

I only caught part of the show.  It made me wonder if she was getting fired, because it seemed like that kind of show.  But then when Eiger said she's really been with Disney corp for 25 years, that made more sense.  I really like Michael, and he is great with Kelly. I also liked Regis and Kelly.

Did they explain why he wasn't there?  I completely expected him to be there as a special guest and he could have talked about her early days.

For all the naysayers claiming her marriage is over, her kids hate her, she's unpleasant to work with, TPTB want to get rid of her.... yeah, sure. Unless all her coworkers, family and friends are all really good actors, which begs the question - why? Of course, maybe she's just well-liked by her coworkers, family and other people in the entertainment industry.

If after 26 years in the biz and 15 years on Live! the only person we've ever heard Kelly has bad blood with is Rosie O'Donnell, then she must be doing something right.  And no, I don't buy she has bad blood with Regis, and the only reason why it's even speculated she does is because Kelly doesn't thank Regis at least five times each and every episode.

• Love 3

If after 26 years in the biz and 15 years on Live! the only person we've ever heard Kelly has bad blood with is Rosie O'Donnell, then she must be doing something right.  And no, I don't buy she has bad blood with Regis, and the only reason why it's even speculated she does is because Kelly doesn't thank Regis at least five times each and every episode.

I'm sorry, the absence of any appearance, call, or even mention of Regis today indicates that there is something going on. If it's not with Kelly, then it's with someone else connected with the show. Or maybe it's no one in particular, but he doesn't have fond feelings about his departure. "He who must not be mentioned" has taken on a new meaning!

I certainly never felt Kelly owed it to Regis to thank him every day, much less 5 times a day. But on a show like today, a trip down memory lane, a mention of his name at the very least would seem appropriate. It was just strange IMO.

• Love 4

I'm sorry, the absence of any appearance, call, or even mention of Regis today indicates that there is something going on. If it's not with Kelly, then it's with someone else connected with the show. ......

I strongly believe this is the case.  The bad blood is between ABC and Regis.  And I suspect it is mutual.  Disney's syndication unit purposely lowballed Regis and will likely lowball Kelly in her next contract negotiations.  While the show is a propped as a "legacy", it's been pretty clear since the moment that Regis departed that TPTB have no interest in dwelling on his role.

We won't see a tribute to Regis until the day after his death.

Like any good employee, Kelly knows not to rock the boat. She also knows that she will be traded in for something new at some point. 

.....surprise guests. David Muir?? I did enjoy going down memory lane with the show and especially seeing Kelly's kids grow up on TV. Kelly seemed to be genuinely touched and humbled. Having said all that, it is evident that Kelly has not aged as well as she could have.

David Muir works for ABC and has something very very very much in common with NPH and the Andys.

Most 45 year old women would kill for anything close to Mrs Consuelos' looks.

Edited by SanDiegoInExile
  • Love 4

I strongly believe this is the case. The bad blood is between ABC and Regis. And I suspect it is mutual. Disney's syndication unit purposely lowballed Regis and will likely lowball Kelly in her next contract negotiations. While the show is a propped as a "legacy", it's been pretty clear since the moment that Regis departed that TPTB have no interest in dwelling on his role.

Like any good employee, Kelly knows not to rock the boat. She also knows that she will be traded in for something new at some point.

David Muir works for ABC and has something very very very much in common with NPH and the Andys.

I know who David Muir is......I just didn't think he had the long-standing connection with Kelly that Anderson, Josh, Andy, and NPH do. I stand corrected if he does!

I'd like to look the way Kelly COULD look, but not the way she DOES look. Not saying she isn't pretty, but I would not give up the pleasures of life to look like a stick. Just my opinion.

Edited by MzTori77
  • Love 1

Regis and Kelly don't even communicate at all, since he left the show.  He has said this.  So it is not just the show. I liked Regis and I like Michael, but I think it is odd that he was not there.

Also missing, was Judge Judy.  And Madonna, although I am pretty sure the latter is busy right now.

• Love 2

I watched his morning, too. There has to be something to the stories of bad blood between Regis and Kelly/the show. Even if he couldn't show up in person, you would think he would have at least called in. I really kept thinking he was going to pop in as one of the surprise guests. David Muir?? I did enjoy going down memory lane with the show and especially seeing Kelly's kids grow up on TV. Kelly seemed to be genuinely touched and humbled. Having said all that, it is evident that Kelly has not aged as well as she could have. She was adorable - of course it's been 15 years - but if she hadn't gone down the excessive exercise and diet path I think she would look 10 years younger. That whole aspect of her persona - the obvious issues she has with weight and body image and the constant need to portray herself as the life of every party - is the one thing that I dislike about her as a host. I like that she is funny and very quick, but her fixation on being the thinnest and fittest is a big turn-off.

I agree, she has very nice parts of her personality , but her need to be a stick figure, and her need to be part of the rich NYC credo is a turn off for me.

I strongly believe this is the case. The bad blood is between ABC and Regis. And I suspect it is mutual. Disney's syndication unit purposely lowballed Regis and will likely lowball Kelly in her next contract negotiations. While the show is a propped as a "legacy", it's been pretty clear since the moment that Regis departed that TPTB have no interest in dwelling on his role.

Well, no , most women I know of all ages think she looks gross.. I'm not saying gross because she isn't pretty. She's very pretty, but her body is gross . Sorry, but she has starved and overdone the exercise and turned herself into a bag of bones. Camera weight still can't make her look close to a healthy weight, her legs look like my 90 year old aunt's legs. And when she's in tight clothes or a bathing suit, it's scary. Ribs showing all over. If she only went to maybe 105 lbs, instead of 90 something, she'd be gorgeous! She still has a very pretty face, but she looks older and wrinkled because of the Botox and being under weight.

Gelman still hangs out with Regis and Joy, so obviously poor Kelly isn't trying to be a "Good employee" by being a bitch to Regis. She's just being a bitch. Regis didn't say much, but he has said that she hasn't wanted to talk him since he left, but he is obviously close to the rest of the staff. Schully went to NBC to see him cohost with Kathie Lee on Today, and was on camera.

I think there were rumors that Kelly was upset that Regis did not tell her ahead of time that he was retiring, so she got pissed. She actually was quite a snippy , insulting bitch to him on the air when he was getting close to retiring . She mocked him and acted like a smart ass until she had to go solo, and sucked so badly that the show hit the lowest ratings in 20 years!

I do think that kharma will come back to bite Kelly with Disney. She is now the "old" one, not in age, but she's the senior one with experience . And it's obvious Michael is the rising star at ABC. She'll probably get the shitty treatment soon enough. And sorry, but after seeing her rude behavior to Regis, who carried her inexperienced butt for years, so she could be in the upper crust of NYC society, I won't feel sorry for her.

She has a bratty, spoiled side to her. I see it with her family. She never miss a chance to mock her mom, who looks frail and ill.

Kelly seems kind, but she does seem to feel above her past and also seem to carry a grudge of she doesn't get her way.

Edited by orangekit

Judge Judy did a video tribute, so she was sort of there.

As was Regis, who appeared in many clips. The tribute was to Kelly, not to Kelly and Regis. If he wanted to say something nice for her 15th party, he could, especially if he's still in the good books with Gelman as some claim. But maybe he's a pouty pissant, who can't be gracious to his protege for her celebration. Why is their lack of communication all Kelly's fault? It takes two.

I don't maintain relationships with my former coworkers when I moved on after 10 years. I liked them and we all got along, but we were colleagues, not friends. I have my own friends, I don't need to get together with 30-something single guys or new moms or whatever. Just like Kelly - a middle aged mom who likes to party - has little in common socially with an 80-something man obsessed with football.

I've been quite critical of the fake Kelly in here and I take none of that back.  

This was an exceedingly well done show - perhaps the best I've seen on this show.  The thing that made it truly great is seeing some of the authentic Kelly.  That lady loves her children.  She adores her husband.  Truly.  She also possesses more than a little talent.  She was darn good on AMC and especially when she was first with Regis.  The clips don't lie.

What also does not lie was the absence of Regis.  He despises Iger.  What I loved and appreciated, though, was that just as Iger stiffed Regis by giving him a lousy plaque on the Amsterdam Ave. entrance, all Kelly got on her big day was a standard Tinkerbell statue.  All that mattered was that the big boss, Iger the God of Disney, managed to show up downstairs from the ABC NY boardroom for few minutes and speak empty words.  Perfect.

Let's see if she reverts to type now, or if this was somehow transformative and we get the real, and aging woman - who is as loving as any Mom and wife can be.  TV does not like that, and Disney fights genuine joy and emotion with all it has.  I know which way I will bet.

• Love 3

The anniversary show was well done. Kelly's real side is nice. I think Mark is a genuinely nice person too. I met him at a soap event when he was on All My Children. Women were all flirting with him,knowing he was married. But Mark seemed to see through the women and appeared turned off. He totally focused on he "normal" women who would not usually have been noticed. It was a luncheon event. He talked about Kelly and his one child-Micahel it was a long time ago. He was sincere and not impressed by women with their model bodies and their flirting. I think he and Kelly really do have a strong sense of family , and good marriage.

Having said that, I do think the whole rich and famous thing, along with pressure to be "young", and hip has had a not so good effect on Kelly at times. At times the fake thing is too much, but this anniversary show showed her real side that I used to like, and it was nice.

I think that the Regis controversy is probably both about Kelly and Disney.

I loved Regis's stories, I think he changed daytime tv with his ability to talk off the cuff. Now live can be so boring during host chat with the clippings .

I think both Regia and Kelly have rich and famous egos, and both probably are very stubborn. I don't think either is faultless in their obvious rift .

Regis was great, but he could be obnoxious and now he seems a bit strange. He showed up on the Today show and made out with Hoda. He showed up on another show and made out with Karhie Lee. Both women were not expecting his full on mouth gross kiss, and they looked grossed out. Seems like he is losing it a bit.

Kelly seems to have quote the ability to hold a grudge. She did it with Clay. I didn't blame her for being pissed at him, or Rosie, but she had to whine about Clay the next day, which seemed weird. I don't blame her for holding a grudge against Rosie. Rosie accused her of homophobia, which is so off base!

As far as age goes, I didn't think that is the issue with Regis. He still sees Gelman, and the other staff still sees him.

Edited by goldenpuppy
  • Love 2

Saw a clip of the anniversary show and thought what I saw was awful, just like Kellmee's acting on AMC, awful, lol.  Her tears of joy, imo, were just that, bad acting............I don't think she show's the audience any sincerity, everything is fake and phony.  And she still cant string a few words together to make a cohesive sentence without 'ahh, and umming' her way through the whole thing.

• Love 1

Kelly really does have (has, had) a bad habit of stammering. First off, she is handed articles of newspapers for her morning briefing which she never actually reads. Maybe, if Gelman didn't do this during hair, makeup & wardrobe he would have her full attention but hey it's worked for 15 years why change now?! Then when she reads the article and Micahel will ask the who, what, when & where she's is like a deer in the headlights trying to find the information thus the stammering. Unfrotunaly, she gets paid millions of dollars to talk which she does poorly. That said, she has beautiful homes in NYC, The Hamptons & Tulleride Colorado so maybe I'm the dumb one. LOL!!! Given all that, her kids do seem sort of normal with all of the enormous wealth.

• Love 2

Allison Williams looked awful today she used to be pretty. Looks like she's starving herself too. Why do these women think looking like a skeleton is attractive?

I think she isn't well.  Her hair wasn't "right" & she definitely looked really skinny.  Maybe her Dad's woes are impacting her negatively.  (I never, ever heard her refer to her family as the "Core Four", nor did I ever hear it from Brian Williams.  Wonder what's up with that?)

Maybe her Dad's woes are impacting her negatively.  (I never, ever heard her refer to her family as the "Core Four", nor did I ever hear it from Brian Williams.  Wonder what's up with that

What??  What's going on with her Dad?  

And what's up with the Core Four??  Have never heard that before--is she referring to Linda, her mom and Dad and Kellmee?

Not a watcher anymore so I'm way out of the loop.

Saw a clip of the anniversary show and thought what I saw was awful, just like Kellmee's acting on AMC, awful, lol. Her tears of joy, imo, were just that, bad acting............I don't think she show's the audience any sincerity, everything is fake and phony. And she still cant string a few words together to make a cohesive sentence without 'ahh, and umming' her way through the whole thing.

ITA! Michael seems genuine, but Kelly seems so so fake . And she can't really talk - which is her job!

She is very lucky Regis carried her for years, and she still was horrible after working as a cohost for a decade!

Now Michael had to come in and save her from ruining the show after her solo cohost stint!

I think she was a sweet normal person I the past, but she is now an out of touch rich celebrity.

How many "favorite" primetime shows does Kelly have?   She needs to expand her vocabulary to include new adjectives when she likes something.

I can not believe Joaquin is 13!  He's very cute.  But wow, I think it's weird that he still wanted to sleep in his mom's  a month ago if he is a teenager.  And Kelly holds him on her lap when they are at his wrestling matches?  She seems to have issues with letting him grow up.. I get it's emotional to see your youngest grow up, but that's a bit much.  Maybe it's making her feel old? 

• Love 1
And Kelly holds him on her lap when they are at his wrestling matches?  She seems to have issues....

Did Kellmee say that on the air?  Oh my!  If that's true it is just a bit odd, imo.

Saw a clip on my AOL homepage with Kellmee talking about dressing herself for her burial.  How many times have we heard the story of the green leotard, the tear-aways and the stilettos?!  

The bigger question for me and always has been whenever she brings that tired old story out is what were they doing just before she passed out?  IMO, there always seemed to be a piece of the story missing for me.

I see I'm missing nothing by not watching Live! anymore...........she's still riveting as ever, lol.

Edited by finnzup
  • Love 1

Oh Michael, the car (a Renault) was not a "Renolt", it's pronounced "Renowe". He probably says foy-er instead of foy-ay.

And please don't tell me both pronunciations are acceptable; just because people are too dim to learn a proper pronunciation so that the wrong way becomes mainstream doesn't make it right,

• Love 1
(edited)

Or Canada. Or any true design firm.

Actually, sometimes Michael is woefully ill-informed about basic pop culture. Which isn't life and death for a regular person, but since pop culture commentary is part of his job on this show, I'd expect him to be a little more knowledgable.

Edited by Shermie
  • Love 1

I like Michael.  I even like Kelly...sometimes.

Hey, what happened with Kelly's hair today?  During host chat it was quite curly, and then after the break it was completely straight.

I like Michael.  I even like Kelly...sometimes.

Hey, what happened with Kelly's hair today?  During host chat it was quite curly, and then after the break it was completely straight.

I know, right! I was semi-watching, and thought I noticed that her hair had changed over the commercial break. (I backed it up to make sure) I know it was a "previously recorded" show, and sometimes it's a taped host chat and reruns of interviews. They'll be wearing different clothing during each segment. But today she had the same dress on but a different hairstyle after host chat. Not sure what that was about!

• Love 1

Or Canada. Or any true design firm.

Actually, sometimes Michael is woefully ill-informed about basic pop culture. Which isn't life and death for a regular person, but since pop culture commentary is part of his job on this show, I'd expect him to be a little more knowledgable.

Agreed. Michael seemed completely lost earlier this week when Kelly mentioned it was "Pi" day.
  • Love 2

If my epitaph one day reads "She knew little about pop culture, but could easily read a piece of paper that was right in front of her face", I'll rest in peace.

Let's face it, there are a number of skills (and I use that word loosely) that come into play to host this show, and neither host has all of them.

• Love 4

On pronunciation...I shall never forget sitting in the backseat as we drove my Dad to Logan Airport in 1969.  The radio ad spiel went on and on as to how cheap (ha ha) their furniture suites were.  He pronounced it as suits - like a gentleman wears.  My Dad, who had a nice radio career in a major market, went off.  It was the first time he had heard that one.  He then made an instant prediction that in my lifetime, "suits" would become the preferred pronunciation.  He was wrong.  It happened well before he died 20 years ago.

I, too, was taken aback at Strahan's utter ignorance as to pi day.  It was no biggie to me that he had never heard of it.  That he insisted on rejecting it completely out of hand throughout the entirety of chat displayed something else to me:  The arrogance of ignorance.  It was a fantastic reminder that neither of these folks should be looked to for guidance/leadership.  Kelly playing the, "I'm so sick of politics and arguing." canard in another ep this past week was a branch off this same tree.  I was actually shocked - truly shocked - that the audience pretty much sat mute with no applause when she busted that one out.  I took great satisfaction in that.

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
  • Love 2

I, too, was taken aback at Strahan's utter ignorance as to pi day.  It was no biggie to me that he had never heard of it.  That he insisted on rejecting it completely out of hand throughout the entirety of chat displayed something else to me:  The arrogance of ignorance.

I was curious as to how one would "reject Pi day throughout the entirety of chat" so I watched online, and I've got to say, I don't get it.

Kelly comes out, says "Happy Pi day!", and Michael says "Pi day?" No, he never heard of it. Kelly then says, "It's also, coincidentally, Albert Einstein's birthday!" (They both look offstage for guidance from Gelman.) Kelly: "I wonder if they planned Pi day around Einstein's birthday?" Really? Kelly then reads the rest of what's on her paper, a little light bulb turns on over her head (it's Pi, not pie), then she starts rambling about Oreo pie crusts while Michael listens.

So Michael's knowledge of Pi day was probably nil, and Kelly knew it involved baking pies for her kids to take to school and learned the rest by reading the paper in front of her. Honestly, I have no problem with any of this, and remain confused about the level of respect, discussion, and enthusiasm one should accord a fringe celebratory day. I'll save being aghast should they ever come out as I've seen news anchors -- NEWS ANCHORS! -- do, and wish everyone a happy Memorial Day.

Edited by designing1
  • Love 2

I don't expect either of them to be informed on all topics, but when they are doing the "real" part of the show, which is host chat, I just like them to not be totally fake.   Michael, though he is not perfect, is way more real, and does not come off as a total fake.  Kelly, on the other hand, comes across mostly fake, with some real moments.

Also, Michael did save the show from the toilet, Kelly was awful, painful and so ridiculous as a solo cohost, it was embarassing.  I am sure Disney remembers that the show hit a 20 year low in ratings with Kelly alone, and Michael brought them out of the mess.

• Love 1

Wow, I never saw Erin Andrews host anything before. She is very pretty, but she is quite annoying.

She is shrill, and come off as an airhead .

I'm wondering if she'd have a career in sports broadcasting if she wasn't pretty .

Agree the play off each other well, just curious why it's bad timing?

I think he was her original choice for cohost but when Regis left, Anderson just signed on to do his own show - which didn't last that long. I like Michael Strahan but think Anderson is a better fit.

• Love 4

I only watch the Host Chat -- have taped that first 15 minutes since Time Magazine called it one of the Top Ten things on TV way back in the late 1980s when Regis and Kathie Lee mastered it.  Have maybe only seen a full episode a half dozen times in all those years. This week's host chats have been great and shows how much better Kelly can be when she has a co-host she cares about vs just "the talent".  I'm glad they corralled Anderson for two days and I though Kelly-and-Mark really did great as well.  Not a Duchovny fan, and it seems clear he isn't much of a morning fan, but there was at least some host chemistry.  I suspect Friday with Fred Savage is a pre-tape. No way he can match the others.

And Monday we will be back to Ambitious Michael and Settled Kelly reading newsclips, whining about how cheap Gelman can be, and phoning it in.

• Love 1
(edited)

This week was ok if the cohost was good . I think Mark was probably one of the better , and Anderson Cooper was the best .

I see a lot of talk all over social media about how incredible Fred Savage was . He was ok, better than Duchovny for sure, but I didn't think he as amazing.

Is there a fan girl base for Fred? I am reading bout how "sexy" he is on one page, and I just don't get it/ he look like an average guy to me. I think Anderson is way better, but there is not this crazy over the top love for him.

Also, I thought the story of guys hanging out and showing ring was just odd. I asked my husband who is about Fred's age of guys did that, and he really never heard of it.

Edited by orangekit

When did Michael get his own clothing line?  I saw the credits today and his wardrobe is from The Michael Strahan Collection.  

Has he ever mentioned it on the show?  

Actually, he was on a few late night shows talking about it.  I think it happened after he did Magic Mike 2 & couldn't get suits to fit his bulked-up frame.

• Love 1