Type keyword(s) to search

Arrow Stars in Other Roles

• Start Topic

When it comes to EBR's movie, Funny Story, we can only wait right now.  I don't think it's anywhere.  They are probably looking for some kind of distribution

Edited by BkWurm1

TwoOhSix  is a site for movie reviews as well as festival and convention coverage...

Funny Story (Slamdance 2018) - Movie Review
THURSDAY, JANUARY 25, 2018
http://www.twoohsix.com/2018/01/funny-story-slamdance-2018-movie-review.html

For his latest feature film, Michael J. Gallagher takes a look at how our culture is turning a corner from outdated ways of thinking to new, more progressive beliefs and he uses his main character, an aging actor played by Matthew Glave, as the tipping point of this transition. His somewhat estranged daughter reveals early on that she is gay and is about to get married but this revelation is nothing compared to a couple secrets he is in turn preparing to reveal.

There wasn't as much comedy as I thought there might be considering the title although, in its place, is a very emotional and engaging story that Gallagher expertly pieces together. The laughs we do get are very genuine and provide a nice balance for all of the heavy stuff we get to dig in to. Each of the three primary characters deal with a lot of loss and this common struggle is most noticeable in how it comes from different angles and affects people in different ways.

The strength of the movie for me was the work put in by the primary cast members and especially Matthew Glave who was just perfect for this role. His character's claim to fame was having the lead role in a cult classic fantasy TV show that gave him an unending supply of fame and adoration which is quite appropriate since Glave himself has appeared on so many shows over the years including Stargate SG-1, ER, and Agents of Shield. You may actually recognize him as Drew Barrymore's fiance in The Wedding Singer, Mr. Glenn Gulia.

Emily Bett Rickards, who plays Walter's daughter's girlfriend. is also no stranger to television as she has played a large role in the success of the WB's DC slate of shows over the last several years. The work she does in this film is really impressive and her honesty with this character gave me a sense that it was a very important role for her to play. I would say her character has the most to deal with emotionally from beginning to end and she handles it all quite beautifully.
Funny Story is a very solid effort from a director who has the world in front of him. Definitely a must see film thanks to a couple stellar performances and a story that crashes through stereotypes, deals with some pretty heavy family issues, and turns a dysfunctional mess into something we can all use to gain a little perspective on our own perceptions.

Edited by tv echo

Podcast interview with the Funny Story cast (starting at around the 18:55 mark)...

By The Daily Buzz 
The Daily Buzz From Sundance (Day 4)

Posted Wednesday, January 24th, 2018 
http://moviecitynews.com/2018/01/the-daily-buzz-from-sundance-day-4/

Monday, January 22, 2018

Day Four offers great insight for listeners furthering film careers. We speak with Carrie Lozano and Simon Kilmurry of the International Documentary Association. Pascal Plante, director of Fake Tattoos drops by, as well as the director and cast of Funny Story, Michael Gallagher, Matthew Glave, Jana Wintimitz and Emily Bett Rickards.  

-- Michael Gallagher (director/writer): "Funny Story is a dramatic comedy about a TV star who has an estranged relationship with his adult daughter. And so he sort of invites himself to go visit with her and accidentally ends up ruining her life. ... So we were mixing that [Walter's story], then, with also the story of Kim, um, who's played by Emily. And, you know, Kim is going through some real tragedies in her life and she's really trying to figure them out. And so, her storyline, I think, is more somber. So you have these two characters who kind of crash into each other. And, uh, it's an interesting mix... I think the credit really goes in the tone to the actors because they grounded everything in reality."

-- Interviewer: "Emily, one thing is I love seeing the films that you do, aside from the Felicity character on Arrow, is that, like in this one, they're so wildly different... The character that you played in Brooklyn. Uh, then you pair that up against - now this one, um, which is bad-assery personified when we meet her... And then we really get to dig under the surface." He then asked EBR why that's great to do as an actor from her perspective. 

-- EBR (plays Kim): "Um, something I've sort of adopted by saying is, I became an actor because I wanted to do everything... There's a certain part about me when I was a kid and I was like, 'I don't know what profession I want to do, but I will choose one different one a day.' Um, and I think just being able to tell stories from a different perspective because, at the end of the day, I think the actor always has to come from a place of compassion, um, and grounding and, you know, putting on - I don't want to say, putting on her skin, it sounds a little dark (laughs) - like, stepping into her shoes is a better way to say it. I mean, she's quite brutal so maybe it was like putting on her skin. I'm looking at Michael, he just giggles away. (Michael interjects, "This is a very nice movie, it's not a horror film." Everyone laughs.) ...  Um, but she - you know, Kim was interesting to me because she - you know, every character wakes up wanting to have a good day. And throughout this film, Kim doesn't have one. And I really hope that in the future, she does. Once again, I'm laughing. It's not funny... I mean, that's life. And I think that we're all given chances to sort of figure things out and hopefully make choices and drive our own lives and hopefully, you know, do the good thing - not necessarily the right thing, but do the good thing. And for some reason, Kim just got into my little heartstrings and I wanted to play her." 

-- Matthew Glave (plays Walter): "You know, it's funny, but when Michael was talking earlier, um, about our characters and who they are, it was the first time it kinda hit me, that we're almost all in our own movie and then we end up infecting each other's movie... Kim is definitely in her own movie. I'm in my own movie. And, uh, Nic is having part of both of our movies, and she's the victim of our movies."

-- Jana Wintimitz (plays Nic): "Matt and Emily are both so talented. It's so much fun being on set and playing with them."

-- Michael Gallagher: "The big takeaway for me is the movie is really about forgiveness. And if you can forgive yourself, if you can forgive people around you who do you wrong, I think you'll ultimately be happier and live a better life.... If there's any takeaway of the movie, it's that forgiveness ultimately is a healthy thing to have in your life."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

The producers have presumably launched Funny Story at Slamdance in hopes of picking up a distributor. Which could happen - Amazon, Fox Searchlight and Sony Pictures Classics have all picked up films from the film festival circuit.

11 minutes ago, quarks said:

The producers have presumably launched Funny Story at Slamdance in hopes of picking up a distributor. Which could happen - Amazon, Fox Searchlight and Sony Pictures Classics have all picked up films from the film festival circuit.

Fingers crossed. It would be nice to actually see this movie since it's getting such good reviews.

• Love 1

About Emily:

A number of the performers deserve shoutouts, particularly actress Emily Bett Rickards. Her portrayal of Kimberly sees her exploring a broad spectrum of emotions. Rickards seems to hone in on the inherent conflict within Kimberly. She’s a young woman who hasn’t had an easy run of things. She manages to be craving, but at the same time petrified of a deeply personal connection. Audiences are perhaps most familiar with Rickards work as Felicity on the popular television series Arrow. However, the actress has been spreading her wings in challenging dramatic roles and gives a career performance as Kimberly. Fans of Rickards work should definitely keep an eye out for this movie. 

• Love 8

Something to keep an eye out for this year - EBR plays a character named Stevens in an upcoming film called The Clinic (this film was previously titled Slumber, according to this 2016 Variety article; directed by Darrell Wheat)...

The Clinic (2018)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4865022/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_1

When a woman wakes up unexpectedly from a coma after an experimental procedure, she must piece together her past while searching for her missing daughter in a sinister hospital that won't let her go.
MV5BMWI3MjU4MmMtOWI5Ny00ZWRmLTlkNzItOTJl

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Article on Sydelle Noel preparing for the Black Panther premiere...

BLACK PANTHER’S STAR “ALWAYS WANTED TO BE A BADASS”
By: Jodi Taylor   Jan. 30, 2018
http://coveteur.com/2018/01/30/sydelle-noel-getting-ready-black-panther-movie-premiere/

Naturally, we wanted to get in on the frenzy and celebrations, and so around 5:00 PM yesterday evening, we pulled up to The Jeremy West Hollywood Hotel and practically ran with excitement up to the room where none other than Sydelle Noel herself was getting ready for the big night, with the help of one of our faves, stylist and image architect Law Roach. While it was the first time they had worked together, you never would have guessed it; the two got along like old friends, and we happily watched from the sidelines, snapping photos of the process as Noel had her makeup and hair done and finally put on her beautiful gold gown that made her look like an actual queen. Roach could not have done a better job at pulling the perfect dress, and before Noel got swept off to the red carpet, we chatted with them both about the movie, how they ended up working together, and what it was like for Noel to audition for the role.
Sydelle Noel: “I’m a comic book junkie, and when I was auditioning, I had no clue what role I was auditioning for. When I found out I would be playing a Dora—it was a childhood dream of mine. Doras are a team of women who serve as special forces, bodyguards for Black Panther. They are warriors, fierce, and can take on anyone without blinking an eye. I’ve always wanted to play a badass, and I will continue to strive for roles like that.”
SN: “I embraced every task that was thrown at me and took [my role] head-on. To be a Dora was a dream, and was also physically demanding. I didn’t mind shaving my head for the role either. I ended up embracing and loving my bald head while shooting.”

• Love 2

So that's why ME is currently in Europe...

Michael Emerson Joins ‘The Name Of The Rose’; Go-Betweens Doc Deal; Amazon India Original – Global Briefs
by Peter White  February 7, 2018  
http://deadline.com/2018/02/michael-emerson-joins-the-name-of-the-rose-go-betweens-doc-deal-amazon-india-original-global-briefs-1202280049/

Lost star Michael Emerson will star in the Italian TV adaptation of Umberto Eco’s crime novel The Name of the Rose. Emerson, who is currently starring in the CW’s superhero series Arrow and Amazon’s Mozart In The Jungle, will play The Abbot, an ambiguous, greedy, oversensitive and irritable prince of the Abbey, alongside My Best Friend’s Wedding star Rupert Everett and The Night Of’s John Turturro’s in the eight-part drama, which was commissioned by Italian broadcaster Rai. The €26m ($30 million) series is produced by Germany’s Tele Munchen Group, Italian production company Palomar, the firm behind Young Montalbano and 11 Marzo. Turturro will star as William of Baskerville with Everett playing Gui. The series is written by Andrea Porporati (La Piovra), Nigel Williams (The Sea Wolf) and Giacomo Battiato (Karol: A Man Who Becomes Pope), with Battiato directing and Luther and Penny Dreadful’s John Conroy as director of photography. Principal photography started last month in the Cinecitta Studios in Rome and on location around Lazio and Abruzzo. It is expected to air in the first quarter of 2019.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

I hope it plays on this side of the Atlantic too.  I remember it was a pretty good book. l

Tahmoh Penikett, who played Nick Salvati, the Bertinelli enforcer in s1, is one of the contenders for this year's Canada Reads, which is Survivor but with books.  Penikett will be defending American War by Omar El Akkid. Other panelists are singer Jully Black, fashion leader Jeannie Beker, storm chaser Greg Johnson, and singer and television presenter Mozhdah Jamalzadah.

I bought the book for my sister-in-law for Christmas so I'm excited to see what happens.  A few years ago Margaret Atwood's A Handmaid's Tale was defended by former prime minister Kim Campbell and was one of the books that lost.

• Love 2
On 2/7/2018 at 9:47 PM, statsgirl said:

I hope it plays on this side of the Atlantic too.  I remember it was a pretty good book. l

Tahmoh Penikett, who played Nick Salvati, the Bertinelli enforcer in s1, is one of the contenders for this year's Canada Reads, which is Survivor but with books.  Penikett will be defending American War by Omar El Akkid. Other panelists are singer Jully Black, fashion leader Jeannie Beker, storm chaser Greg Johnson, and singer and television presenter Mozhdah Jamalzadah.

I bought the book for my sister-in-law for Christmas so I'm excited to see what happens.  A few years ago Margaret Atwood's A Handmaid's Tale was defended by former prime minister Kim Campbell and was one of the books that lost.

Survivor with books?!?!?!  My people!!  

I went to a SPN con and did a photo op with Tahmoh (and JP).  Super nice guy (and smells so good).

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

When I was a kid, white lipstick was in fashion. Yeah, not a good look either.

Unless anyone is going to be hanging at a club that is doused in black lights, that's a terrible look as well.  

Cover Versions
Alan Ng  January 12, 2018
http://filmthreat.com/reviews/cover-versions/

Finally, a film loaded with our favorite Disney Channel and Nickelodeon actors swearing, doing coke, and wearing low-cut swimsuits. About time…am I right?

In Todd Berger’s Cover Versions, the band, Starfoxy, is on the cusp of greatness as long as they can make their appearance at an unnamed music festival just outside Palm Springs. After a late-night house party, the band members find themselves in trouble when they discover a fan face down in their swimming pool and two more overdosed in a fatal car accident just outside the city.

The film uncovers the mystery of the dead fans through a series of interrogations involving each of the band members. The band member includes lead singer Jackie (Katie Cassidy), Kirk (Austin Swift), Travis (Jerry Trainor) and Byron (Drake Bell). Each one tells their side of the story, and we see the deadly event replayed from their unique perspective.
Start with lead singer, Jackie, who lays a strong foundation for the other stories to build upon. Kirk is the underappreciated inspirational member of the group, who is or is not a team player. Travis is the pothead, and Byron is the conflicted bandmate.

Rather than bore us with a shot for shot replay of the same events, writer/director Berger wisely allows each retelling to reveal major plot points, such as the firing/quitting of Kirk over creative differences and the true motives of the dead groupies Maple (Debby Ryan), Amber (Ashley Argota), and Lucy (Jenn An). Each revelation is significant and keeps the story intriguing.

Todd Berger also screws around with even the most minor details to make the repeats interesting. The obvious thing to do is film each retelling from different camera angles, but Berger changes up the set dressing, the costuming, and in some cases the actors.

TV sitcoms love using the device of one event and multiple witnesses for comedic fodder. Cover Versions is clever in its use of the characters’ recollections and revelations. The ending has a nice twist that ties everything up perfectly. The acting is a little stiff at times, but good overall. It’s light on the sex, but heavy on the drugs and rock n’ roll.
3.5 out of 5 stars

Funny Story
Anthony Ray Bench   February 15, 2018
http://filmthreat.com/reviews/funny-story/

Directed by Michael J. Gallagher, Funny Story is the story of a conceited actor on a road trip with his semi-estranged daughter’s special friend up to Big Sur. I’m keeping it vague here because there are some twists and turns I don’t want to give away that authentically had me surprised. The movie takes some really unexpected turns and keeps things interesting. Funny Story has an incredibly dry sense of humor that the actors execute perfectly. I was really sucked in by everything that was happening on screen between the characters, they all play off each other quite nicely. Unfortunately, the film falls apart at a certain point and delivers an incredibly dissatisfying climax that sours the experience overall.
Matthew Glave is wonderful as Walter. Walter is a bit of a selfish tool and that is established during the very first scene. We see his desire to be a better person, and the script really plays with the question of whether or not he’s making decisions based on actually trying to help his daughter or bring everyone down to his level of misery and personal failure. I like to think it’s the former, but thankfully it’s all very ambiguous and it works. Emily Bett Rickards as Kim is introduced as a cold and distant asshole with a massive chip on her shoulder. As the movie advances, we learn more about who she is, and she becomes a more nuanced and layered character. The movie really centers on these two characters, their similarities, and their conflict. The rest of the cast is fine, but these two make the film. Jana Winternitz plays Walter’s daughter, Nic. She has some of the most dramatic moments of the film and she handles them well enough. I felt her character came off a little pompous and unlikable, and I think the story should have explored her relationship with Walter a little more. I feel like they hardly interacted, and I was very interested in what kind of a relationship they had. Lilly Holleman as Moon is definitely the funniest character in the movie, and somehow she’s at her best when she’s in the background not speaking any lines.
Funny Story is a comedy with a terribly tragic edge. I’m not speaking of the plot exclusively. There’s plenty of tragedy involved for the characters, I’m more so speaking in terms of how sad it is that the film kind of falls apart during its climax. Funny Story is one of those movies I found myself really getting into, the characters and the plot was really engaging and I was enjoying the way everything was unfolding and then it ends in an incredibly unsatisfying way complete with an out of nowhere cameo from Carl Winslow himself, actor Reginald VelJohnson. The ending set itself up for so much potential drama, so much potential comedy of errors, or maybe a mixture of the two and instead it all just sort of peters out. Finale aside, the movie is definitely worth checking out for its strong performances and surprising story.
8 out of 10

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

I just watched this on mute and oh my god, you wouldnt know the difference in this character and who she is as Black Siren,...the outfits, the hair, the makeup, the actingb. It's an exact copy. 

Also thats not her voice...why would they have her lipsync when she's not even known as a singer?

Edited by Cleanqueen
  • Love 2
52 minutes ago, Cleanqueen said:

Also thats not her voice...why would they have her lipsync when she's not even known as a singer?

I think that may be her voice - singing voices are often slightly to very different from speaking voices. And she can sing.  At one point, she was even contemplating a singing/music career. Given the example of her father, I can't blame her at all for deciding to stay with acting -  plus, she's said in interviews that she finds acting more fun - but I'd bet hands down that her singing ability was one reason she got this role. 

Here's KC singing "I Think I Love You" (covering her dad's song)...

(Katie Cassidy Brasil)

Btw, there's a really good Irish singer/songwriter named Katie Cassidy, who you can see performing here and here. I wonder if there are rules prohibiting two musical artists from using the same name.

Edited by tv echo

‘Playing Dead’: Tyler Ritter To Star In the CW Drama Pilot
by Denise Petski  February 20, 2018 4:58pm
http://deadline.com/2018/02/playing-dead-tyler-ritter-star-the-cw-drama-pilot-1202297049/

The McCarthys alum Tyler Ritter has been tapped to star in the CW drama pilot Playing Dead, from writers Rina Mimoun and Josh Reims and Intrigue Entertainment.

Written by Mimoun and Reims and directed by Rachel Lee Goldenberg, Playing Dead is a dysfunctional family dramedy about a mortician and his son whose lives are turned upside down when the woman who abandoned them 15 years ago returns and asks them to fake her death.
Ritter will play Joe, the single dad who is director of the Rice Funeral Home. He has a wry sense of humor even though his life didn’t turn out as planned.

Edited by tv echo
2 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

I really wonder if Arrow was Tyler Ritter's audition process for the CW.  

He wasn't bad in the actual role but his chemistry (or lack of chemistry) with EBR was very obvious.

EBR to her credit seemed to actually try but Billy looked like a limp fish! It was terrible! 

• Love 2

This sounds shallow, but I'm just going to say it-- Ritter simply wasn't attractive enough to play a love interest on Arrow. And Billy didn't have enough screentime to try to make up for it with an exceptional personality, so in the end, he's just this normal looking background guy that we had no idea why Felicity dated because we don't even know how they met or what common interests they had or, well, anything about him aside from the fact he was a cop.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, insomniadreams88 said:

I liked Tyler Ritter on NCIS as Abby's brother. It's why I was looking forward to him being on Arrow ... until we met Billy. They didn't really give him much to do because Billy didn't really matter as a character. 

Arrow excels at taking fine actors and giving them less than nothing to work with and turning them into background bores. I honestly don't think we give EBR enough credit for making her scenes golden.  

• Love 16

It probably is a case of the CW already knowing the actor ala KC being used on several different shows before it was basically her turn to be a leading lady. SA was also on TVD and something else. Did Rappaport cast this?

Arrow does have a habit of getting good actors and giving them Crap. No amount of good acting was going to make me like Samantha but Anna Hopkins was good in Defiance and I'm really pleased she seems to be getting a lot of work recently. Carly Pope is another one who has done much better elsewhere. Then again EBR took a bland if not actively annoying, offensive or stupid scene and turned it into gold so it can and visa versa as we've also seen.

Edited by Featherhat
  • Love 4

S1 Laurel did benefit from her own support cast to bounce off of, although  I mostly remember her as being the sensible one in the "CNRI will close if Tommy doesn't throw us its benefit and he wants to impress you not demand favors/be an evil asshole" argument. AI left to do that Charlie's Angels reboot that lasted about 5 minutes. She also came back in S2 to tell drunk Laurel no one would hire her.

• Love 1

Sadly the "CNRI will close if Tommy doesn't throw us its benefit and he wants to impress you not demand favors/be an evil asshole" argument just made Laurel look worse. First because the CNRI problem never occurred to her and second because assuming that she's so special a guy will put out that kind of money to get into her pants again made her look narcissistic.  The writing was not kind to Laurel.

• Love 3
(edited)

Janina Gavankar is 37 and Don Johnson is 68. Erin Foster's father, 68-year-old David Foster has been dating 33-year-old Katharine McPhee..

Sleepy Hollow's Janina Gavankar to Date Don Johnson in Fox Comedy Pilot
By Dave Nemetz / February 28 2018, 3:45 PM PST
http://tvline.com/2018/02/28/janina-gavankar-cast-fox-comedy-pilot-erin-foster-don-johnson/

Well, she was Ichabod Crane’s partner, so we already know she likes older men.

Sleepy Hollow veteran Janina Gavankar has joined the cast of Fox’s untitled comedy pilot starring Erin Foster and Don Johnson as a series regular, TVLine has learned. She’ll play Sasha, the best friend of Andi (Foster), and the two of them have always told each other everything… until Sasha starts dating Andi’s much older playboy dad (Johnson).

Foster will pen the untitled pilot, loosely based on her own life as the daughter of famed music producer David Foster, with New Girl creator Liz Meriwether serving as an executive producer. Fox gave the single-camera comedy, formerly known as Daddy Issues, an official pilot order last month.

Edited by tv echo

Guess what's coming to CW Seed?...

Catch Jim Beaver and Katie Cassidy in Harper’s Island right now!
by Alexandria Ingham   March 5, 2018
https://spnhunters.com/2018/03/05/catch-jim-beaver-katie-cassidy-harpers-island-right-now/

Harper’s Island is coming to The CW Seed, and you can stream all the episodes in full for free. It won’t take you too long to watch either, giving you the perfect show while you wait for the Winchesters to return. (This week is a new episode but there’s a mini-Hellatus afterwards).

(edited)

Remember JR Ramirez, who played Ted "Wildcat" Grant in S3 of Arrow?..

Who Plays Oscar On 'Jessica Jones'? J.R. Ramirez Portrays An Interesting New Character
By Zakiya Jamal  March 8, 2018
https://www.romper.com/p/who-plays-oscar-on-jessica-jones-jr-ramirez-portrays-interesting-new-character-8223885

So far there isn't much known about his character, Oscar, on Jessica Jones. Besides being Jessica's landlord, he's a single dad to an adorable son and when he realized that Jessica has a super power, he didn't seem all that happy about it. After she lifted his fridge to help him move in (and because it was in her way), he gave her a side eye that seemed to indicate this will become a problem later. It also didn't help that when another person with abilities was killed by scaffolding, Jessica was there when it happened and Oscar, along with his son, saw it all.

That being said, I still think there's a chance for a romance, or at least a brief fling, to blossom between these two. Oscar seems like a good guy, and though Jessica is a bit rough around the edges, she's a good person too. Whether or not these two actually hook up, hopefully they'll at least become friends. Jessica could always use more of those in her life.

Edited by tv echo