Type keyword(s) to search

Arrow Stars in Other Roles

• Start Topic

Media reports on SA's appearance last night (ScreenRant article includes video of his complete run)...

Arrow’s Stephen Amell Crushes Celebrity Ninja Warrior Course [VIDEO]
By Emily Donn  May 26, 2017
http://screenrant.com/arrow-stephen-amell-celebrity-ninja-warrior-course/

American Ninja Warrior Celeb Edition: Amell's Amazing Run and More
By Vlada Gelman / May 25 2017, 6:41 PM PDT
http://tvline.com/2017/05/25/stephen-amell-american-ninja-warrior-recap-celebrity-edition/

Here’s what happened on Celebrity American Ninja Warrior
by Nikki Lee@anwnation  May 25, 2017, 9:03pm PDT
http://www.americanninjawarriornation.com/2017/5/25/15695270/heres-what-happened-on-celebrity-american-ninja-warrior

• Love 2
2 hours ago, dmmetler said:

Can we get Caity Lotz, too? Canary and Green Arrow would make a pretty awesome ninja team!

I love CL but the real get would be EBR.  

• Love 2

While watching my baseball game I was looking through my twitter and saw someone comment on SA being on Celebrity Ninja Warriors. They said that searching for his name trended on Google for about an hour. Maybe he got some more viewers for the show.  

• Love 1

So SA's TMNT movie came up recently on Amazon Prime, and I just watched it.  Lol.  It's not a good movie by any stretch of the imagination, but there was a lot more SA in it than I thought there was going to be.  He actually got quite a bit of screentime - I was surprised.  

• Love 3

The over the air channel GetTV is showing a movie from 1996 called Secrets of the Bermuda Triangle. Susanna Thompson is playing a mom trapped on an island.

(edited)
1 hour ago, ketose said:

The over the air channel GetTV is showing a movie from 1996 called Secrets of the Bermuda Triangle. Susanna Thompson is playing a mom trapped on an island.

How many times does she say "my son"? ?

Edited by leopardprint
  • Love 4

June 4, 2017 - Day 3 of Code 8 filming - they emphasized that SA is in the movie...

SA: "I'm filming until literally, uh, I have to wrap because I'm going right back to Season 6 of Arrow. Um, and I'm the only cast member now."

Since Code 8's filming goes beyond 601's start filming date (and that's not even including pre-production stuff like the table read, stunt practice, not to mention him likely shaving his beard), I wonder how much SA's going to be in the movie, since he's in the general logline for it.

Side note, I do laugh at the jokes of "I'm dead" he had from 309 and "I'm the only cast member" for right now, but really hoping that that's not the go-to joke going into SDCC.

(edited)

Variety article on Code 8...

Robbie Amell, Stephen Amell Producing, Starring in ‘Code 8’ Sci-Fi Movie
Dave McNary  JUNE 8, 2017 | 12:01PM PT
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/robbie-amell-stephen-amell-code-8-movie-2-1202458781/

Principal photography has begun in Toronto on the crowdfunded sci-fi thriller “Code 8,” starring cousins Robbie Amell and Stephen Amell with Jeff Chan directing.

The Amells raised $1,722,409 from 20,201 backers last year on crowdfunding site Indiegogo for “Code 8” and are executive producing. The 30-day campaign had an original goal of $200,000. The campaign included the release of a ten-minute short film, directed by Chan from a script he co-wrote with Chris Pare.

The film also stars Sung Kang of the “Fast and the Furious” franchise, Kari Matchett (“Maudie”), Greg Bryk (“Frontier”) and Aaron Abrams (“Hannibal”).

“Code 8” is set in a world where 4% of the population is born with varying supernatural abilities, but instead of being billionaires or superheroes, most “specials” face discrimination and live in poverty, often resorting to crime in a world now carefully monitored by drones, guardians, and the police. Robbie Amell’s character is struggling to pay for his ailing mother’s health treatment and lured into a lucrative criminal world by Stephen Amell’s character, who works for a drug lord (played by Bryk).

“We’re thrilled to be starting production with such an extraordinary cast and creative team led by Jeff, and excited to bring a full-length ‘Code 8’ to the world,” said Robbie and Stephen Amell.
In addition to the Indiegogo funds raised, “Code 8” is financed by Telefilm Canada and the Fyzz Facility. Elevation Pictures will distribute in Canada in 2019 with XYZ Films handling foreign sales.

Edited by tv echo
2 hours ago, leopardprint said:

If they secured traditional funding why do they need another indiegogo campaign?

I could understand companies coming in after the indiegogo ended and offering to cover any additional costs - wanting to get in on some profit since there's some interest in the film - but...with the initial campaign AND additional traditional financing, I don't really understand why they reopened the campaign. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, apinknightmare said:

I feel like if you get $1.5 million over your initial campaign goal and also score traditional funding, you probably shouldn't need to ask for additional money, but maybe that's just me, haha.

Not just you

(edited)
6 hours ago, leopardprint said:

It seems kind of shady to me but I have mixed feelings about using crowdfunding for these types of film projects. 

I don't have mixed feelings,  I feel negative towards them.   I'm not trying to be mean but... these people,  most of them have money.   Money money.  I still struggle to pay my bills because I don't make 60 thousand dollars an episode.  On top of making whatever they make for conventions that fans seem to spend ludicrous amounts of money on.   These people can fund their own projects and I'm not giving you $75 bucks for socks. 

Edited by Delphi
  • Love 9

I do understand not investing your own money in something like this - it's generally not a gamble that pays off a lot of the time, and if people are interested enough to pick up the tab in smaller, easy-to-swallow increments in exchange for ~perks or some other kind of "reward" and they willingly do it, then...fine, I guess? I mean, I wouldn't give them any money, but there are plenty of people in their @s and comments that were super excited to be a part of it, so more power to them. I donated to the Veronica Mars campaign and was perfectly happy to do it (and pleased enough with my perks and the outcome that I felt like it was a worthwhile investment). 

But they had a very small initial goal and surpassed that by $1.5 million dollars, secured other financing, and are for whatever reason asking for money again? Apart from finding it shady, it pisses me off that Stephen or Robbie - I can't remember who - said they were "unselfishly" opening the campaign back up because people had asked them to make socks and hoodies available. Mmmmmm, nothing unselfish about this, my guys. 

• Love 9
(edited)

@Delphi, It does seem very grasping. I understand the initial campaign as sort of proof of audience/customer but the second round after securing other financing seems weird to me. 

@apinknightmare, ugh, well my feelings are no longer mixed. What kind men, to take time out from their thriving movie careers, to allow the downtrodden to gift their hard earned dollars for their totally not a vanity project. So devoted. 

Edited by leopardprint

I've been put off kick-starters for movies.  I gave my daughter a share in Jesse Martin's/Carlos Valdes film The Letter Carrier when they were raising funding for it.  She still gets updates but no DVD in spite of the fact that the film was finished and entered into the 2016 festival circuit.  So I'm put off by the whole thing now.

1 hour ago, apinknightmare said:

Apart from finding it shady, it pisses me off that Stephen or Robbie - I can't remember who - said they were "unselfishly" opening the campaign back up because people had asked them to make socks and hoodies available. Mmmmmm, nothing unselfish about this, my guys. 

They better be ready to wait a long time, because I still see comments from people who haven't received their perks from the first campaign. It's sloppy and shady.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, apinknightmare said:

I do understand not investing your own money in something like this - it's generally not a gamble that pays off a lot of the time, and if people are interested enough to pick up the tab in smaller, easy-to-swallow increments in exchange for ~perks or some other kind of "reward" and they willingly do it, then...fine, I guess? I mean, I wouldn't give them any money, but there are plenty of people in their @s and comments that were super excited to be a part of it, so more power to them. I donated to the Veronica Mars campaign and was perfectly happy to do it (and pleased enough with my perks and the outcome that I felt like it was a worthwhile investment). 

But they had a very small initial goal and surpassed that by $1.5 million dollars, secured other financing, and are for whatever reason asking for money again? Apart from finding it shady, it pisses me off that Stephen or Robbie - I can't remember who - said they were "unselfishly" opening the campaign back up because people had asked them to make socks and hoodies available. Mmmmmm, nothing unselfish about this, my guys. 

I get them looking for more money.  $1.5 mil for an action flick is a piddly budget but they seemed to think they could make their movie just with $200K and that's the disconnect.  They were probably deluded in picking that number but that's on them.  

I guess as long as people are getting what they are promised from them, it's fine.  I donated enough for a couple t-shirts for Veronica Mars and was happy to have been a part of it so I imagine those contributing to Code 8 might be getting a warm feeling as well, (even if I feel like the Veronica Mars movie funding was something far more special) but you can only go back to the same fans so many times.  Hope this project is worth using up that fan capital.  

• Love 1
5 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

I get them looking for more money.  $1.5 mil for an action flick is a piddly budget but they seemed to think they could make their movie just with $200K and that's the disconnect.  They were probably deluded in picking that number but that's on them.  

But their budget isn't just the money they raised from fans. The Variety article stated that there are two additional companies financing the movie, which is why it seems shady that they've got their hands out again.

• Love 2
(edited)

More Info on ‘Code 8’ From Robbie Amell & Stephen Amell!
by Nerds and Beyond Staff on June 9, 2017
http://www.nerdsandbeyond.com/2017/06/09/more-info-on-code-8-from-robbie-amell-stephen-amell/

We’ve got some more information on Code 8 to bring you – the film from Robbie Amell and Stephen Amell! Just a few days ago we told you that they relaunched their Indiegogo campaign and they’re already at $1,912,740. They’re close to $2,000,000!

The original campaign’s goal was set to $200,000 and the original campaign ended over $1,720,000. They’ve added some cool new perks, like a collectible signed postcard, which you can get signed by Robbie and Stephen. The postcards are limited, so make sure to grab it here before it sells out!

Code 8 was created and will be directed by Jeff Chan, and will star Robbie and Stephen. They started filming June 1, and will continue through mid-July, with hopes of a release date in 2019.
“Code 8” is set in a world where 4% of the population is born with varying supernatural abilities, but instead of being billionaires or superheroes, most “specials” face discrimination and live in poverty, often resorting to crime. In a world now carefully monitored by drones, guardians and the police, Connor Reed (Robbie Amell), a power-enabled young man, is struggling to pay for his ailing mother’s (Kari Matchett) health treatment. Fighting to earn enough money as a day labourer, Connor is lured into a lucrative criminal world by Garrett (Stephen Amell) who works for Lincoln City’s reigning drug lord, Marcus Sutcliffe (Greg Bryk). Garrett helps Connor sharpen his powers in order to execute a series of crimes on behalf of Sutcliffe, while a militarized police unit, lead by Agent Park (Sung Kang) and Agent Davis (Aaron Abrams), hunts them down.

Robbie and Stephen will be executive producers along with Lee Kim, and Mary Anne Waterhouse. Code 8 will also be financed by financed by Telefilm Canada and the Fyzz Facility. Elevation Pictures will distribute the film in Canada in 2019, with XYZ Films handling foreign sales.

I side-eye celebrity kickstarter campaigns in the same way that I side-eye celebrity charity telethons. I see rich celebrities being praised for donating time (like, an hour, and sometimes only a few minutes) to appear on TV to raise money for a charity, which is good PR for them. They ask regular people with much less money to give money, but we never know if the celebrities themselves give any money to the charity (except when it's announced). To be clear, I'm all for donating money to charities. But I question the motives of the celebrities who participate in celebrity telethons.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

I wish them luck.  And while I like Kari Matchett and Greg Bryk as actors, the writing for the clip SA showed last year was cringe-worthy bad.

Trivia:  Kari Matchett is only 18 years older than Robbie Amell.  Her real-life son is 4.