Type keyword(s) to search

Arrow Stars in Other Roles

• Start Topic

Wil Traval will be returning to Once Upon a Time this season...

TVLine Items: Casey Wilson Visits Mindy, Once Sheriff Returns and More
By Vlada Gelman / October 21 2016, 4:30 PM PDT
http://tvline.com/2016/10/21/the-mindy-project-casts-casey-wilson-mindys-friend-season-5/

* TVLine has confirmed that Wil Traval will reprise his Once Upon a Time role as the Sheriff of Nottingham, in an episode pegged to the return of Sean Maguire as Robin Hood.

In case you missed it, here's Wil Traval (guy on left) as Sheriff of Nottingham in OUaT:
2015-09-11-1441933200-6493792-WilTravalN

Edited by tv echo

Watched Sidekick and it was really heartwarming. Plot was cliche at points, but still managed to feel genuine because of the characterization & acting. Felt all the actors really brought a lot to their roles. And I enjoyed how the scenes were shot. I definitely got Princess Bride vibes from it. It was also not as sad as I thought it was going to be. I really wish they had used the word Cancer at one point. Perhaps that will be in the sequel.

Also I think the kid actor is really talented. Which is why I was never against having quality kid actors in projects. It is just historically large amounts of writers do not know how to write for children. The children's story gets over dramatized. The children are only used for plot purposes. Or in the case of Arrow, they simply cast a dud (sorry William). But when you have decent writing and decent acting children on projects are not necessarily a disaster. That being said, I don't think Arrow needs to get any full time children any time soon. They can barely handle the "kids" they have in the lair now and let's not forget the completely offensive way they handled their 1 full-time child character they did create.

However, back to Sidekick. I thought it was good. I wish it was a little bit longer to tell more of the story. It was a sweet story that was well directed, acted, scored and stunted. That was a refreshing project to see. Glad for everyone who participated. I really hope it gets them positive attention.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Primal Slayer said:

I'd advise going directly to the article, since the HMTL tag here is a bit misleading. Cover Versions was picked up by Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions, a Sony subdivision that generally releases straight to video and/or streaming, or what that division cheerfully calls "non theatrical markets," although they've occasionally released films through Sony Pictures Classics as limited theatrical releases, generally as art house films, and their Stage 6 division occasionally partners with other distributors for a limited number of wider releases. Even then, Stage 6 primarily focuses on non theatrical markets, usually letting its distribution partners handle wider North American releases, or handling some of the international distribution for films from other studios.

This year, for instance, Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisition released one film through Sony Pictures Classics, and other films through Amazon video, Netflix and/or DVD/Blu-Ray. Stage 6 is also handling some of the international distribution for Paramount Pictures' Arrival.  None of the Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisition Films got a wide theatrical release in the U.S. market in 2015 or 2016. It seems likely that Cover Versions is headed direct to video and/or streaming.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, kismet said:

. I really wish they had used the word Cancer at one point. Perhaps that will be in the sequel.

I understand what you mean but I'm glad they didn't use it.  If one was watching, you knew because it said 'medical oncology' on the door.  But this way, it can apply to a number of illnesses, not just cancer, and I think it's more powerful then.

7 hours ago, bijoux said:

Are they talking about a sequel?

No, but I thought perhaps

7 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

Well they were at an office labeled "oncologist" at the end.

True, but sometimes the word becomes demystified and families regain some control if they actually use the word. It's a hard word to say and sometimes that gives it more power. And that goes for medical professionals as well. There are a lot of diseases that people do not want to say the actual word. Cancer has enough power, it doesn't need any help.

5 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I understand what you mean but I'm glad they didn't use it.  If one was watching, you knew because it said 'medical oncology' on the door.  But this way, it can apply to a number of illnesses, not just cancer, and I think it's more powerful then.

I get your point. It is nice that it can be used for other diseases. I'm looking at it from more of analytical perspective than a viewing perspective.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, quarks said:

I'd advise going directly to the article, since the HMTL tag here is a bit misleading. Cover Versions was picked up by Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions, a Sony subdivision that generally releases straight to video and/or streaming, or what that division cheerfully calls "non theatrical markets," although they've occasionally released films through Sony Pictures Classics as limited theatrical releases, generally as art house films, and their Stage 6 division occasionally partners with other distributors for a limited number of wider releases. Even then, Stage 6 primarily focuses on non theatrical markets, usually letting its distribution partners handle wider North American releases, or handling some of the international distribution for films from other studios.

This year, for instance, Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisition released one film through Sony Pictures Classics, and other films through Amazon video, Netflix and/or DVD/Blu-Ray. Stage 6 is also handling some of the international distribution for Paramount Pictures' Arrival.  None of the Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisition Films got a wide theatrical release in the U.S. market in 2015 or 2016. It seems likely that Cover Versions is headed direct to video and/or streaming.

Great post. I always love to learn about how the Industry works. I did a Case Study on Disney for my MBA class a few years back and, IIRC they pretty much have the same setup, Buena Vista for Home Video and International and Miramax for R Rated films.  

I guess there's money to be made or at least recovered in multiple ways.

I looked at the Writer/Directors history and he basically makes small budget movies that don't do much. His first movie earned $60K at the box office and his 2nd movie went straight to streaming. It makes sense that this movie would follow suit and go the straight to streaming/DVD way.

Edited by Morrigan2575

Another positive review of Sidekick...

SIDEKICK IS A SUPERHERO BEDTIME STORY COME TO LIFE
POSTED BY SCOTT BEGGS ON OCTOBER 31, 2016
http://nerdist.com/sidekick-is-a-superhero-bedtime-story-come-to-life/

Written and directed by Jeff Cassidy — a camera tech on Flash and a ton of other series and blockbuster films — the simple story is given larger life by realistic dialogue, a playfulness toward plastic genre tropes, a structural nod toward The Princess Bride, and the dire consequences at its heart. It’s a reminder that tales of oversized powers don’t always have happy endings, and if they do, those endings don’t always extend beyond the borders of your imagination. The real world sometimes involves visits to sterile offices where bad news is delivered in hushed tones while you wait in the hallway.

1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Great post. I always love to learn about how the Industry works. I did a Case Study on Disney for my MBA class a few years back and, IIRC they pretty much have the same setup, Buena Vista for Home Video and International and Miramax for R Rated films.  

I guess there's money to be made or at least recovered in multiple ways.

I looked at the Writer/Directors history and he basically makes small budget movies that don't do much. His first movie earned $60K at the box office and his 2nd movie went straight to streaming. It makes sense that this movie would follow suit and go the straight to streaming/DVD way.

Yeah. Since then, Disney sold off Miramax and rebranded Buena Vista, but otherwise, yes - they use Touchstone for their more adult films, Walt Disney Studio for the general films, and Walt Disney Home Entertainment for DVD/Blu-Ray.  For international distribution, they occasionally partner up with other studios and/or independent distributors, and for some of their films, they've also partnered up with some so-called "independent" studios (for example, Mandeville, which is headquartered on the Disney lot) and some genuinely independent studios. 

A number of indy films have done quite well going straight to streaming. I'd imagine, given Katie Cassidy's work on Arrow, one of Netflix's more popular shows for streaming, that Cover Versions could be very attractive to Netflix, for instance. 

For those Nashville fans, Joseph David-Jones the actor who played Connor Diggle/GA got a new recurring part on Nashville.

http://deadline.com/2016/09/nashville-joseph-david-jones-cameron-scoggins-recurring-season-5-cast-1201828586/

I hope this puts a major kink in whatever plans they may or may not have had to bring Connor into future episodes of Flarrowverse. Which is a shame because I liked the actor and the idea of Diggle having a son. I just can't accept the way they decided to make Connor happen. Seriously, that was such a poor decision.

• Love 7

Just saw this on Deadline:

Tate Donovan, Katie Cassidy, Matthew Lillard & More Round Cast Of Indie Film ‘Grace’

Tate Donovan (Manchester By The Sea), Katie Cassidy (Arrow), and Matthew Lillard (Scooby-Doo) will topline the dark romantic comedy Grace, written and directed by Devin Adair. The trio is joined by Mircea Monroe, Debby Ryan, Missi Pyle, Michael Madson, Gail Bean, Annie Ilonzeh, and Hugo Armstrong in the indie film that marks first project from Ouroboros Entertainment.

The pic follows Charlie Ellison (Donovan), a formally famous writer living in a world of faded glory and writers block whose best friend and agent, Bernie (Lillard) has spent the advance on Elliston’s upcoming novel and is being stalked by his publisher, the IRS, loan sharks and his wife. In an effort to get a first draft, Bernie sends a belligerent young woman, Dawn (Cassidy) to inspire and check on Charlie… but she has ideas of her own.

Maybe it's the limitations of 3D animation, but I was looking at the poster for MG's new series Troll Hunters and thinking 'now why do these characters and their slightly smirky facial expressions look so familiar?' Then it hit me...

Cz-7DWgVQAAqOFJ.jpg

HTTYD_2_last_poster.jpg

Edited by tv echo
15 minutes ago, tv echo said:

Hope it's not Colin Donnell...

Mega Buzz: Who's Leaving Chicago Med?
by Liz Raftery | Dec 20, 2016 5:02 PM EST
http://www.tvguide.com/news/chicago-med-spoilers-season-2-death/?ftag=TVG_Twitter

It can't be - the person dying is recurring. He's a series regular. (I will admit I had the same fear when I first saw the headline because of CD on Arrow and then The Affair.) But no, big sigh of relief there. 

• Love 1

I don't watch Chicago Med anymore, but something tells me it is either Oliver Platt's or S. Epatha Merkerson's characters. I think they are regular cast, but with special billing. It seems like the person will be one of the more higher admin people. That would leave a void for promotion that one of the current cast can fill and provide drama next season with formally even power-ranked staff adjusting to one of their own now having more power. Plus ER did that power move/grab every few seasons so it's time for Chicago Med to do it.

2 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Watching an old episode of New Girl, looked up and caught a partial view of (I think) SA. Did he play Cici's jerk boyfriend that she dumps at Schmidt's office Christmas party?

He played a CC love interest of a dumb jerky hot guy she was "dating" or hooking up with. I don't recall how or when she dumped him. It was around the time he was in Hung - just before he booked Arrow. At one point I think he gets high on mushrooms in the series. It was entertaining.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, kismet said:

I don't watch Chicago Med anymore, but something tells me it is either Oliver Platt's or S. Epatha Merkerson's characters. I think they are regular cast, but with special billing. It seems like the person will be one of the more higher admin people. That would leave a void for promotion that one of the current cast can fill and provide drama next season with formally even power-ranked staff adjusting to one of their own now having more power.

The article says "There is one silver lining amid the grief: The sudden departure causes a huge shake-up at the hospital, leaving a vacancy that may create a new, much-needed career opportunity for one of the remaining staffers."  The only two people who are high enough in admin are Dr. Charles and Merkerson's Sharon because everyone else is either a fellow, resident, or student or nurse..  I think it's the latter because Charles is a staff psychiatrist and he's certainly not going to be replaced by an intern who is the only other person on the show working in psychiatry.  Sharon is the hospital's administrator and her death would open up a slot for Maggie to move up (hopefully taking some admin courses over the summer break).

Lots of repeats on TV right now and as I was watching Stargate SG1's Bounty episode (10x15), I noticed Mike Dopud, who was one of the Bratva in the early episodes this year, as the bounty hunter who pursues Cameron Mitchell to his high school reunion.  (He was also in an episode of Love It or List It Vancouver getting his house made over.)

• Love 1

I knew that Tatsu/Katana looked familiar! She was Yukio in The Wolverine! And Bronze Tiger was played by the awesome Michael Jai White, who played Mobster Gambol, whose henchman got "penciled" by Heath Ledger's Joker! Yeah, I've seen a lot of Psych, Spartacus and Prison Break alumni on this show alone. Make that two alumni from The Dark Knight. Chin Han, who played Frank, the one who colluded with Moira to kill Malcolm in Season One.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
Because getting facts right is important!
  • Love 3

SQUEE!!!

First, I didn't know Paul Blackthorne was a Brit until I heard him in the interviews in the first season extras. And I know he's been in other shows, but my brain! I knew his name sounded familiar but it wasn't until I sat down to re-re-re-re-re-watch Justice League: DOOM and saw the opening credits that he plays Metallo!?

All's anyone have to do is see my avatar to know why I rewatch these movies. ???

And yes, I'm now on a DCAU Batman, Justice League kick right now. 

• Love 1

Tis the season to be binging Holiday Movies on the Hallmark channel. And I came across David Nykl (Anatoly) playing a doctor in "Hat's off to Christmas" helping a child with a spinal cord injury. Pretty weird to start recognizing Russian Mobsters as Small Town Doctors.

Also I think the actress that played Carly was also Jaime Kings friend in "Mistletoe Promise"

I know I want greater things for EBRs career than just Hallmark movies but I have to admit I think she would be amazing in one of their Holiday Movies. I really just want to see her be able to be charming & have a happy ending. 

• Love 4
On 12/19/2016 at 9:44 AM, calliope1975 said:

DreamWorks Face is it's own trope - http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DreamworksFace. Heh.

I was looking forward to this because of Guillermo Del Toro until I found out MG was involved. Now, I'm way more 'eh' on the project. See, MG? When you're an ass to people, it makes me not want to support your work. Ass. 

Moved to Small Talk.

Edited by Starfish35
4 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Janina Gavankar (McKenna Hall) begins her stint as Crane's new partner on Sleepy Hollow tomorrow.

She was my favorite of all Oliver's s1 girls, and she was gorgeous when she was stalking Stefan in TVD.

• Love 3

Is Emily Kinney uniformly a bad actress or does it depend on the role? Because I didn't like her on Arrow, but I thought maybe it was the role. I've just seen her in a Hallmark movie, Love on the Sidelines, and she is bad. The entire way she comports herself is weird, it's like she doesn't know what to do with her limbs, her speech rhythm is off, it's always the same and with unnatural pauses, and she plays her character so twee that you get a toothache.

Ryan Robbins, who played Conklin in the island flashbacks last season, dons a low German accent to play a Mennonite pastor who gets caught up with drug running in 'Pure'.  The series starts on the CBC Monday, I don't know how people out of Canada can access it. 

On 1/6/2017 at 11:02 AM, bijoux said:

Is Emily Kinney uniformly a bad actress or does it depend on the role? Because I didn't like her on Arrow, but I thought maybe it was the role. I've just seen her in a Hallmark movie, Love on the Sidelines, and she is bad. The entire way she comports herself is weird, it's like she doesn't know what to do with her limbs, her speech rhythm is off, it's always the same and with unnatural pauses, and she plays her character so twee that you get a toothache.

I don't mind her in Conviction, but then again I don't expect much from her.

More importantly, is that a good Hallmark movie? I need a new fluffy movie to satisfy my cheesy sweet tooth.