Type keyword(s) to search

Arrow Stars in Other Roles

• Start Topic

I am sorry but that ET interview was like ... This is Megan Fox and Will Arnett and also some dude who is someone's dad.

Heh, that's kind of true. I think ET assumes that Stephen is a household name while forgetting that despite appearing in various TV projects over the years his movie resume is pretty nonexistent. Still, at least they didn't gloss over him completely.

• Love 1

Jamey Sheridan (Robert Queen) has a supporting role in Spotlight, which is a great, important movie. Sheridan is perfect in his key role in the film and he has comfortable acting chemistry with Michael Keaton. The whole movie is an understated master class in storytelling and subtle acting.

• Love 1

Colin Salmon is great, well, he's always great, in Ep 5 of Aziz Ansari's Master of None on Netflix. 

I'll always remember Colin Salmon from "Keen Eddie" which also introduced me to the hotness of Sienna Miller.

• Love 1

The advance previews look not very promising, but I'm definitely going to check it out, because I'm such a fantasy nerd. Don't really expect anything from it (well, except Manu being hot, which is a given).

• Love 1

I've never really watched an MTV show so I didn't quite know what to expect. And I had no idea going in what The Shannara Chronicles were about. Looks like a poor man's LOTR/Star Wars/fantasy epic. Everybody was generic pretty. Like, seriously, for the first 20 minutes I couldn't tell most characters apart. DJ Chase is still annoying. Bad, considering he's one of the leads. The female leads are slightly better. Manu brings a nice level of intensity. Don't think I'll continue watching.

• Love 1

So I watched The Shannara Chronicles debut (largely nonspoilery review)...

It was like watching a high school production of LotR, with one notable exception.  The weakest acting link by far was Austin Butler as the half-human, half-elf Wil. Some of his scenes and line readings were laughably bad.  Marginally better was Ivana Baquero as human rover Eretria. However, I thought that Poppy Drayton as elf princess Amberle had promise.  I've never read the books, but the show

seems headed towards a love triangle with these three (of course)

.  The other young elves could've come from the extras pool at Teen Wolf, just with pointy ears.

John Rhys-Davies played the same role he's played for the past 10 years, a British-accented king in some fantasy kingdom where everyone else sounds American. I was curious as to why his elf princess granddaughter Amberle was made to speak like an American, even though Poppy Drayton is a British actress.

The notable standout was Manu Bennett as Allanon, the last Druid on earth.  He gave a commanding performance.  But he was like a grownup playing in the sandbox with a bunch of kids - it was that jarring.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Teen Wolf is my guilty pleasure, so I debating on watching The Shannara Chronicles. But every promo they showed made me less and less interested. It does look like a high school production of LOTR. Manu was not enough to get me to watch. 

Teen Wolf is also my guilty pleasure (though "pleasure" is stretching it right now), so I know what I'm probably getting into with another MTV show. I loved the Sword of Shannara when I was in high school, though I haven't read any of the other Shannara books. With Manu in it, I'm going to give it a try. I watch way too much TV as it is, so it's going to start on thin ice in terms of how long I'll give it. 

I was curious as to why his elf princess granddaughter Amberle was made to speak like an American, even though Poppy Drayton is a British actress.

I don't know if this was brought up in the show at all, but in the book, Amberle has been living in exile away from her grandfather for several months. Not long enough to lose her accent, I would think, but possibly the show wanted to emphasize that difference?

Maybe they thought they would be better able to sell it to Americans if she sounded American. It's the sort of show that would think that America accents are more impressive than British ones.

It was like watching a high school production of LotR,

You've nailed it perfectly with that line.  It was cringe-worthy bad for something on TV.  I was wondering if it was the writing for Chase the DJ that ruined that arc or the actor.  I now have my answer, it's the actor.  (Also he should cut his hair because the leftover John Lennon look was better on Lennon.)  The guy who played Amberle original love interest was much better so I couldn't understand why they killed him and not Pendleton, or rather why they gave Pendleton the starring role.  Even the guy playing her brother (the younger one, not the one with the man-bun who is obviously evil) was a better actor.

Not even Manu Bennett could save it, and he certainly tried with all his might.  The name Allanon (Al Anon) is unfortunate since I almost burst out laughing every time I heard it.

John Rhys-Davies looks exactly like he did in the original Indiana Jones movies.  I wish I knew how to make time stand still like that.

• Love 2

EBR mention in Canadian article about Brooklyn...

Shot-in-Canada films 'Brooklyn,' 'Room' in best picture race
Cassandra Szklarski  Thursday, January 14, 2016 
http://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/shot-in-canada-films-brooklyn-room-in-best-picture-race-1.2737154

Canadian talent looms large at the Oscars this year, with the acclaimed shot-in-Canada co-productions "Brooklyn" and "Room" both going up against high-profile giants in the best picture battle.
Co-producer Pierre Even said he's thrilled to see Canadian talent compete head-to-head with bigger features, touting a cast and crew peppered with Montreal talent, including actresses Jessica Pare and Emily Bett Rickards.
Edited by tv echo

Chicago Med Star Colin Donnell Talks Connor's Sad Past, Mulls Arrow Return

TVLINE | Might we see you as Arrow‘s Tommy on Legends of Tomorrow since it’s time traveling into the past?
I’m all down for it. I would be so happy to be back on Arrow or on Legends of Tomorrow, in whatever capacity. There’s got to be something where an evil Tommy pops up. I want him to be totally different than what he was before.

TVLINE | So Earth-Two Tommy on The Flash?
Yes! That would be amazing! We need to talk to [executive producers] Marc [Guggenheim] and Andrew [Kreisberg]. How do we make this happen? I need a day off from Med first… I love those guys. I’ve always said, any time they’ve got stuff for me, if it works out with the schedule, I would love to come back, and even more so now. I haven’t felt like I’ve left the family in any way.
  • Love 3

He's sweet wanting to come back. But if there's an evil Tommy, I want him to be from Earth 2. It would feel like such a loss for the Tommy we knew, just turning back on everything he believed in.

• Love 2

I could only accept an Evil Tommy, if he was brainwashed and part of him coming back is that TA will help to break the hold over him. Thus returning him to the Tommy we knew and loved.

But I just get stuck on thinking how much Tommy would hate himself and what he has done while brainwashed, which makes me legitimately sad.

Circling back to topic, I caught the ending of some movie with The Rock the other night in which Neal McDonough obviously played some crazy villain, seeing as he was smiling while The Rock was pummeling him.

Arrow and Teen Wolf star Colton Haynes to guest on The Grinder
BY DAN SNIERSON January 20 2016 — 4:41 PM EST
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/01/20/arrow-teen-wolf-colton-haynes-grinder-rob-lowe-son

Colton Haynes, of Arrow and Teen Wolf fame, will play the spawn of Mitch Grinder on Fox comedy The Grinder, EW has learned exclusively.

He guest-stars in the Feb. 2 episode as Luke, who was brought onto the hit legal drama The Grinder (that is, the show within the show) to help “ground” our hot hotshot attorney Mitch (who is played by Dean Sanderson, who is played by Rob Lowe). Luke tries to steer his father toward becoming a family man again rather than going down an unsavory path.

• Love 3

What's Reign like, good, bad, somewhere in between?

It's got some really good acting. The story is kind of meh. But I'm a casual viewer, and have only watched 1 or 2 episodes this season. Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

But I just get stuck on thinking how much Tommy would hate himself and what he has done while brainwashed, which makes me legitimately sad.

Circling back to topic, I caught the ending of some movie with The Rock the other night in which Neal McDonough obviously played some crazy villain, seeing as he was smiling while The Rock was pummeling him.

Walking Tall! Love that movie! And that fight scene is awesome, in that it's ridiculous. The Rock is this ginormous man, Neal McD is normal-sized, and he lasts more than eight seconds against The Rock. It's just like the final fight scene in Commando in which the guy with the chainmail and flabby arms isn't pretty much dead from one of Arnie's (in his prime) punches. (Love both movies with a passion, but I have a particular soft spot for Commando, for all Arnie's ridiculous quips.)

So Barrowman gets to travel back to England to film this? Lucky. 

I would be extremely surprised if they actually filmed it in England. Just because it is set there does not mean it is filmed there.

Indeed, per IMDB: Filming Locations: Parkwood Estate, Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

Edited by AyChihuahua
  • Love 1
Indeed, per IMDB: Filming Locations: Parkwood Estate, Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

Also Emmanuel College on the University of Toronto campus. It was very exciting.

I went to history to see if Barrowman's character, who kills Francis on the show, survives.  Apparently Francis actually died of an ear infection that led to an abscess on his brain so no help there.

What's Reign like, good, bad, somewhere in between?

I would say somewhere in between, but I enjoy it. It's very soapy. It's not quite guilty pleasure level of cheese, but its definitely not winning any awards anytime soon, except maybe costumes.

But the acting is pretty good. They do push some boundaries. They had a rape storyline last season that was well done and not just a plot afterthought or gimmick. However, overall the general plot lines and stories are your typical soapy drama blended with some period pizzazz.

So Barrowman gets to travel back to England to film this? Lucky. 

They are one of the Toronto based CW shows. But their pilot was filmed in Europe, I think it was in the UK, but can't remember now.

Also Emmanuel College on the University of Toronto campus. It was very exciting.

I went to history to see if Barrowman's character, who kills Francis on the show, survives.  Apparently Francis actually died of an ear infection that led to an abscess on his brain so no help there.

The show has a loose relationship with history at times. They did the ear infection almost killing him, and then their big dramatic twist was that it did not kill him. Overall, it was far more emotional traumatic the way they actual did it.

• Love 1

Kevin Alejandro was on Lucifer tonight, playing the ex-husband of Lucifer's love interest.  I like the show, the lead is charming but Laurel Germain is terribly miscast. The kid playing her daughter does a better job.

I would say somewhere in between, but I enjoy it. It's very soapy. It's not quite guilty pleasure level of cheese, but its definitely not winning any awards anytime soon, except maybe costumes.

But the acting is pretty good. They do push some boundaries. They had a rape storyline last season that was well done and not just a plot afterthought or gimmick. However, overall the general plot lines and stories are your typical soapy drama blended with some period pizzazz.

That sounds like a great fit for Barrowman.

This list includes theatrical movies, tv movies, and straight-to-dvd movies...

20 Movies Starring Arrow Actors In 2016

Andrew Pollard   27 JAN 2016
http://whatculture.com/tv/20-movies-starring-arrow-actors-in-2016.php

MN - In Cold Light, Hacksaw Ridge, Jasper Jones
KH - Maximum Impact
CS - London Has Fallen
NM - They Might Be Kennedys
JDG - These Final Hours
JA, RR - Spectral
KL - Zeroes
RF - Terra Formars
CAR - The Accountant
CD - Love Is a Four-Letter Word
BR - Lost In the Pacific
PB - Dark Ascension
MB - Beta Test
DR - Illicit
AG - The Binding
KC - The Wolves at the Door
CH - Triumph
SA - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows

I just saw Jamie Sheridan (Robert Queen) in Spotlight where plays a lawyer for the Church

who sees the light at the end and helps the good guys.  Very much like Robert

If you haven't seen Spotlight, I highly recommend it.  I can't remember when I've seen a movie that kept me so involved.  No action sequences, just lots of smart people doing the right thing.

I just saw Jamie Sheridan (Robert Queen) in Spotlight where plays a lawyer for the Church

who sees the light at the end and helps the good guys. Very much like Robert

If you haven't seen Spotlight, I highly recommend it. I can't remember when I've seen a movie that kept me so involved. No action sequences, just lots of smart people doing the right thing.

It's on my list of must see movies.

I'll second the Spotlight recommendation.

What I appreciated about the movie is they didn't sensational, the facts are the facts and story let everything unfold in a way that felt incredibly respectful and honest.

• Love 1

I know SA was on Private Practice because I hate-watched it but I don't remember him at all   Violet briefly dates a hunky guy in a scenario that never would have happened in real life (just as Bailey would not be attracting guys that attractive on Grey's Anatomy) but I remember nothing about the character at all.

I think casting SA and GG as Oliver and Barry respectively really made the two shows.  They both are perfect for anchoring them.

I stopped watching PP somewhere in s3... Is it worth it to go back and watch the last 3 seasons or at least the SA arc?

Totally agree that they nailed the casting of OQ & BA, with both actors anchoring their characters.

I stopped watching PP somewhere in s3... Is it worth it to go back and watch the last 3 seasons or at least the SA arc?

PP was the first time I found SA attractive. I'd seen him on The Vampire Diaries, Hung and New Girl, and even in person a few times on the Fox lot, but he was just another generically bland good-looking actor to me before his stint on PP. I was pretty much hate-watching the show at that point but his "Hot Scott" definitely piqued my interest even though he was involved with the most annoying character on PP. His arc is pretty self-contained so I don't think it's necessary to watch the last three seasons.

PP was the first time I found SA attractive. I'd seen him on The Vampire Diaries, Hung and New Girl, and even in person a few times on the Fox lot, but he was just another generically bland good-looking actor to me before his stint on PP. I was pretty much hate-watching the show at that point but his "Hot Scott" definitely piqued my interest even though he was involved with the most annoying character on PP. His arc is pretty self-contained so I don't think it's necessary to watch the last three seasons.

Thanks! What episodes & season is he in? I don't know if I could watch all the seasons... The show fell off the rails and really messed with so many of the characters. I very rarely stop watching shows after I invested a few seasons, but when I do I have valid reasons in my head. So to return to a show for the sake of an actor would be a lot. 

Do yourself a favor and don't watch the last seasons of PP. It got too self-indulgent, IMO, and too many of the main cast acted like they should be in kindergarten.

The only arcs I remember being impressed with were Sam trying to help his sister and how they handled Amelia carrying a baby that didn't have a brain.

But it's worth watching SA's episodes for the pretty.