Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E02: Please

Well, that solider played by Wilson Bethel certainly knows his way around a gun.  He always can find his target.  He just can't miss.  A true marksman, it seems.  Now, if only they could find him a catchy nickname....

Good to see you again, Blake!

Matt seems to be shaky off some of the cobwebs, at least.  Even if he's going full-throttle with the self-pitying "Screw God!" motto.

Foggy's family was exactly how I imagined they would be.

I love Karen, but anytime her boss/Mitchell (or really, the show itself) goes on about how brilliant of a reporter she is, it just feels like they are trying way too hard and it becomes more tell than show.

Really loving Sister Maggie.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

Love that they brought Skylar in for a callback as young Matt. Watching him on Ozark always made me hope for one.

That said, having just re-watched previous seasons, the history with Fr. Lantom feels retconned. In season one, there was really no hint of a prior relationship of the type that was shown.

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, greekmom said:

Stupid question. Why would the FBI care if their agent has financial troubles to bump him up?

It makes them targets for bribery and payoffs. (And the higher up they go, the bigger a target they become)

Government officials can be denied security clearances for having those types of financial difficulties.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

So, I guess Matt's gone straight into "I am Daredevil" which....is really so Matt. His self loathing has been taken to a whole new level now, accompanied with a crisis of faith! I did chuckle at Lantom trying to convince Matt to stop being Daredevil and have it have the opposite effect.

Foggy's family is great. I'm always happy for more Foggy.

Oh, Karen. I do really like her and feel bad that she doesn't have any proof that Matt is alive, yet still believes it. 

Not a whole lot happened here, but it was still a solid episode. Wilson Fisk meets Wilson Bethel's character, who I wonder about. 

Sister Maggie is fantastic and I can't wait for Foggy and Karen to meet her. 

• Love 4
34 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

So, I guess Matt's gone straight into "I am Daredevil" which....is really so Matt. His self loathing has been taken to a whole new level now, accompanied with a crisis of faith! I did chuckle at Lantom trying to convince Matt to stop being Daredevil and have it have the opposite effect.

Foggy's family is great. I'm always happy for more Foggy.

Oh, Karen. I do really like her and feel bad that she doesn't have any proof that Matt is alive, yet still believes it. 

Not a whole lot happened here, but it was still a solid episode. Wilson Fisk meets Wilson Bethel's character, who I wonder about. 

Sister Maggie is fantastic and I can't wait for Foggy and Karen to meet her. 

Another bit retconning, w/ Foggy's family. 

His mother may have wanted him to become a butcher, but that wasn't the family business.

His father owned a hardware store. 

Liked his family, but that business about his mother still wanting him to give up the law and come help at the butcher shop was really stupid. They seem to like Marcy, so I had too lol at the idea she would stay w/ Foggy of he became a butcher.

Sister Maggie is awesome.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, greekmom said:

Stupid question. Why would the FBI care if their agent has financial troubles to bump him up?

5 hours ago, moonshine71 said:

It makes them targets for bribery and payoffs. (And the higher up they go, the bigger a target they become)

Government officials can be denied security clearances for having those types of financial difficulties.

See, that didn’t make any sense to me, because wouldn’t refusing to give them a raise or promotion lead to the same thing? If they know they won’t be able to rise up until they solve money issues, but can’t solve their money issues because they aren’t being given raises, what’s stopping them taking bribes or payoffs so they can take care of their money troubles and be able to advance again?

• Love 4
58 minutes ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

See, that didn’t make any sense to me, because wouldn’t refusing to give them a raise or promotion lead to the same thing? If they know they won’t be able to rise up until they solve money issues, but can’t solve their money issues because they aren’t being given raises, what’s stopping them taking bribes or payoffs so they can take care of their money troubles and be able to advance again?

But the lower you are on the org chart the less information you are going to have on cases and the less authority you are going to have to direct  (or even stop) an investigation. That is the kind of things that bad guys are going to be interestes in when bribing or blackmailing someone.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, mxc90 said:

Where was the hot shot FBI agent when his fellow agents were getting gunned down?

It wasn't clear, but he had some superficial injuries so I assumed his vehicle was flipped in the explosion and he was momentarily trapped or unconscious.

7 hours ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

That’s exactly what I said in the episode one thread!!!

I continue to ?????whenever anyone treats Karen like someone who earned the title of investigative journalist.  And I still don’t like her.

• Love 3

I like seeing Foggy's family and knowing more about Karen's past.  I want to know more about them as characters separate from Matt.  There was some nice costuming showing the clear difference in wealth between Foggy and his family.

Matt's taking the masochism a bit far.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

But the lower you are on the org chart the less information you are going to have on cases and the less authority you are going to have to direct  (or even stop) an investigation. That is the kind of things that bad guys are going to be interestes in when bribing or blackmailing someone.

But wouldn't/couldn't a smart criminal get their hooks into a low level fed, help them resolve their financial issues, and have an in when they finally get the bump up the ladder because they have resolved their financial issues? And I'm sorry, promotion or not, not getting a raise in three years is bullshit. Had he gotten regular raises, even just to keep up with the cost of living, might have made his financial situation a little better.

• Love 1

See, if Americans had a better healthcare system he wouldn't have so much debt from trying to help a sick sister -in-law and would be less vulnerable to outside influence. It's all the government's fault. 

• Love 7

Hey, Dina Shihabi! I guess she's probably only in this one episode, but she was the best thing about Jack Ryan. I'm pleased to see her pop up in more things. I did a double take when Karen said "people said I killed my brother."  I don't think we even knew she'd had a brother. But I like getting more backstory on her.

And, of course, this is how Karen learns that Daredevil might be back. Something tells me she's not going to be cautious in chasing the truth, there.

I enjoyed seeing Foggy's family too, although it felt a little odd, to see this large, rich family life for him in New York, when we've never really heard about it before. Foggy being disillusioned with his job, now he's a big, corporate lawyer, is understandable. Does he still work for Hogarth?

I'm not really into young Matt flashbacks. The fewer of those, the better. And I don't think I really need them, to understand how he became the man he was... and then became the man he thinks he is now. It's funny, that he was telling Karen he didn't need to be Daredevil, yet now he can't be, he's wallowing more deeply in depression and self-loathing than ever.

Yeah, Nadeem is already screwed. Not sure how many insiders Fisk already has, but he's going to have Nadeem over a barrel before too long. Interesting that the fear of Fisk was apparently shallow enough in the prison that one guy tried to shank him. But I guess selling out other mobsters is a good way to make enemies. And it certainly played out very well for Fisk... in the end.

That mysterious FBI agent who saved him was certainly noticeable. I won't make any cracks about how he seemed to hit every attacker as though they had a bullseye on them, it seems like that ground has already been well covered.

3 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Hey, Dina Shihabi! I guess she's probably only in this one episode, but she was the best thing about Jack Ryan. I'm pleased to see her pop up in more things. I did a double take when Karen said "people said I killed my brother."  I don't think we even knew she'd had a brother. But I like getting more backstory on her.

Karen's brother actually gets mentioned multiple times in season two, including a quick shot of a newspaper article about him dying in a car accident when Karen looks at the file Ben had compiled on her.

• Love 2
On 10/20/2018 at 8:56 AM, moonshine71 said:

Another bit retconning, w/ Foggy's family. 

His mother may have wanted him to become a butcher, but that wasn't the family business.

His father owned a hardware store. 

As a former DD reader, I was also surprised by the changes they made to his mother's character. I'm kind of curious if we aren't getting the whole story with his family, and all this might be leading up to some revelations (to Foggy and the viewers), but probably not.

On 10/21/2018 at 5:43 PM, Cthulhudrew said:

As a former DD reader, I was also surprised by the changes they made to his mother's character. I'm kind of curious if we aren't getting the whole story with his family, and all this might be leading up to some revelations (to Foggy and the viewers), but probably not.

Yeah in the comic she's Rosalind Sharp, a high powered lawyer who divorced Foggy's dad and is cold-hearted and ruthless.

I love how you ask Fisk the simplest question and he'll give a long monologue not even on the subject!
After a minute people feel like passengers sitting next to Ted Styker in Airplane!

airplane-09.jpg

On 10/20/2018 at 8:01 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

That’s exactly what I said in the episode one thread!!!

I continue to ?????whenever anyone treats Karen like someone who earned the title of investigative journalist.  And I still don’t like her.

I want to like her but her actions and attitude most of the time is infuriating. "I will judge you for being reckless even though you save lives while my being reckless has cost other people their lives!"

Edited by VCRTracking
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 12/23/2018 at 5:33 PM, VCRTracking said:

I love how you ask Fisk the simplest question and he'll give a long monologue not even on the subject!

That kind of cracked me up. The feds ask Fisk a basic question about whether or not he understands the rules they just laid out, and he turns it into a gigantic monologue about his love for Vanessa. At the end of which I just said to my TV, "Uh... a yes or no would have sufficed, dude." LOL.

• LOL 3

I really, really miss the Nelson and Murdock friendship. It's killing me to watch Matt push Foggy away like this. It pisses me off and makes me really sad. I mean, I get why he thinks it's the safer choice, to separate from anyone he cared about, but for crying out loud, is anything going to snap him out of that? I'll find out when I get to the end of this season, I suppose, but I do have to wonder, does this season (and thus the series) end with them still not friends? Because that will suck, if that's the case. It will be a huge disappointment. The heart of the show for me was their friendship in season 1.

• Love 2
On 10/20/2018 at 12:50 PM, MadyGirl1987 said:

That reminds me of the argument that I once made with my company commander over one of my command tank gunner in  my platoon when his wife wrote bad checks. He was in a Sergeant's billet and besides the medals we were able to give him for performance my goal was to get him promoted and his stripes before I was reassigned.

On 10/20/2018 at 9:18 PM, Enigma X said:

I (unfortunately) work for the government. If you have financial troubles that they feel will compromise you, they will fire you. If they keep you employed, you will receive your raise.

I see it a lot on cop shows were fans react if police departments acting like the US Army were you either get promoted or put out to make room for the next academy class of officers . Where as many if not most send entire careers without moving up in rank. I agree as an Agent he would continue to get seniority bumps in pay to whatever year he max'd out along with cost of living increases in order for the agent to live beyond a shelter in the local area.