Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: The Game Of Your Life

• Start Topic

Gary attempts to plan a romantic date with Maggie with the intentions of getting her to open up about a secret she has been hiding; Eddie begins to understand the sacrifices Katherine has made and attempts to stall Theo’s play as a grand gesture to win her back; and Rome takes steps to consult with a doctor.

Ok, so despite a LOT of issues I still have, this was still the best episode so far. Why? Minimal Delilah and we had more focus on characters like Maggie, Katherine, and Eddie without it being about Delilah. 

Well....ok, yeah, I didn't think that the three guys would be buddy-buddy so quickly. I thought that people would be a little more pissed off, but look at the beginning of the episode, where all three are chatting and...joking about the affair. FFS, show. I really gave you the benefit of the doubt here but apparently I was wrong. 

Did they randomly skip ahead a few months or something? Because, from the way people are acting, it's like a bunch of time has passed, even though I think it's only been two weeks. Rome's talking about how he quit his job and doesn't feel happy. Um...ok, because you JUST quit your job and it takes time. 

I'm seriously all in for Katherine and Eddie working things out since I like Giuntoli and Park together. Eddie has a lot of shit to atone for, that's for sure, but after loathing Delilah and Eddie together with a passion, I'll take Katherine/Eddie, even though Katherine deserves way better. I guess, if I forget about the whole affair thing and how sucky Eddie is, I can see how Katherine and Eddie might work out their stuff. With Eddie not having his entire storyline around Delilah, I could see how he may not be a total loser. He's actually pretty smart with how he stalled so Katherine could get there in time for the play....which is why I'm surprised now that he was so stupid to start an affair with Delilah in the first place and expect to get away with it. 

I don't blame Katherine for kicking him out and I am glad that she got to be honest with him. It just sucks because she's right; they finally worked together but his affair ruined whatever chance they had to work things out. 

Speaking of Katherine, I did chuckle at how she got out of court to get to Theo's play. 

...did we know about Sophie and Danny going to Catholic school? What? I must have missed that revelation.

So...Maggie tells Gary that she's not doing any more treatment after discovering that Gary knew about her cancer. Well, I guess they got that secret out of the way. I did actually like Maggie telling Gary about why she decided to not go through with chemo. 

Which is why I LOATHE that they had Gary actually play basketball with her to get her to try to fight cancer. God, I hate when shows do this, where characters feel like they know better for their own selfish reasons. Gary's doing this for him more than he's doing it for Maggie. Instead of respecting her wishes, he decides that HE doesn't like it and he'll convince her to fight. Bruh, I was just starting to like you, too. 

Also, that was a horrific basketball game. I'm pretty sure they weren't playing right. 

I knew Maggie would win the game, so no surprise there, just like I knew she'd decide to fight. 

It was nice to see Rome's parents. Although Rome didn't get a lot of scenes here, it was nice to get more insight into him as a person. 

I knew the ending was going to happen like that, though. So many hints about Delilah being pregnant. I was just hoping that it wasn't true. Here comes the revelation that Jon and Delilah did sleep together before his suicide and now we'll play Who's The Daddy with Eddie and dead Jon. Oh look, Eddie has another purpose in life and now him and Katherine have NO chance of getting back together. Also, Sophie will be mad when she finds out it's likely not her dad's baby but she can't be too mad because her mom's pregnant! 

Blehhhhhhhhh. I might legitimately be out on this one. I'm not here for an Eddie/Delilah endgame.

• Love 16
27 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

I will say this-they do move their stories along. Just wish the ending wasn’t mostly spoilered in the promos last week. It made me sad for Rome, knowing Regina wasn’t pregnant.

I am very interested in Rome and Gina discussing their decision to remain childless and maybe revisit it; even if they come to the same conclusion. Actually, ESPECIALLY if they come to the same conclusion. TV has far too few couples who are childless by choice.  I really like both actors and also want to see Rome working with a therapist to learn more about himself and his depression as well as Regina finding out and being supportive.

On the other hand, Delilah’s pregnancy and the ‘Who’s the Daddy?’ storyline, which seems inevitable, sounds excruciating.

• Love 24
12 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

on the other hand, Delilah’s pregnancy and the ‘Who’s the Daddy Storyline?’ which seems inevitable, sounds excruciating.

This was such a soap opera twist. Too bad it spoiled the realistic Eddie and Katherine storyline.

• Love 12

Oh, I am not excited about Delilah baby daddy drama. I like her better when she is interacting with her kids than when she is crying over not being able to hook up with her side piece and not be seen as a total asshole, but I am still not a fan, and I dont care at all about who her baby daddy is. 

I hope we can follow up more about Rome and Gina deciding on not having children. So often on television, a couple deciding not to have kids is basically a complete oddity,or a sign that they have issues, and secretly really do want kids or something. Even people without a partner who reach a certain age seem to all get baby fever a few seasons in. I think it would be cool to explore that choice. 

Its crazy how fast people move from plot to plot. Last week, people were yelling and crying about the affair and acting like this would fracture the group beyond repair, and this week, everyone is all cool, and we`re just moving along to the next thing. I get that they weren't going to stay mad forever, but its super weird that they all got past this so fast now after all the drama. I appreciate them moving quickly, but give us a second! Are we really moving on so fast, or did they realize that this made Delilah and Eddie look super awful, and no one liked them?

Its really kind of sad to see how Eddie and Katherine probably did work really well at some point, before everything went down the drain. I especially thought that Eddie siccing the helicopter parents on the teacher to hold off on the show was really clever and funny. However, I dont blame her for kicking him out. I would be open to them reconciling after he really showed that he was willing to work on things with her and tried anything to make it up to her, but I would also be alright if Katherine ditched him permanently. Katherine is awesome and can do much better.

• Love 11

I love Katherine.

Delilah's son has been missing since the pilot, hasn't he? I liked him. I hope they haven't forgotten he exists.

I hope Regina and Rome stay childless and happy about it. I don't think the show needs more kids. Whoever is pregnant should have an abortion, but I doubt ABC will go for that.

I get Gary having trouble with Maggie's decision, even though I think it's her right to make that decision. It's a lot to handle, and being freaked out about it at first is kind of okay with me. I think it's her right to make that decision, but I also get why it would upset people when they first hear about it. And she asked him not only to accept it, but to also keep it a secret. I can't imagine having a dying partner and not being able to tell anyone about it. To me, that's the part that's too much to ask. It also makes it way harder for him to process it and be there, if he has to not tell anyone. I see why she wouldn't want people to know, because they will surely act weird around her, and try to change her mind, and generally interfere with her ability to enjoy her time. So both of them are kind of understandable, it's just a really shitty situation any way you look at it.

Regina and Rome continue to be the most interesting and least developed characters and marriage. I really hope the show remedies that, and soon. It's starting to really piss me off how marginalized they are.

• Love 13

Aside from the ending and Delliah being pregnant with a who’s the father thing, I kind of enjoyed this episode and I’m growing to enjoy this show?

Its not this is us.. which is working in this shows favour. This is us is struggling for me this season as last season they seemed to bury the lead and now seem to be relying on schommezy things and it’s not working, at least after the pilot this show hasn’t tried to act like it’s super feel good and sentimental and I have to say.. that makes me happy. These people are kind of terrible a lot of the time and yet they show is acknowledging it.

• Love 3

This show has quickly turned into every single soap opera/drama cliche thrown into one and honestly, the writers should be embarrassed.

I love the character of Katherine and am interested in the Maggie/Gary storyline but I don’t think I’ll be able to continue with this one. I was enjoying the episode until the pregnancy test twist was revealed and then second hand embarrassment just took over. I can’t. They are insistent on forcing Delilah down everyone’s throats when she’s the worst actor and character on the show. No thanks.

Edited by doLLish
  • Love 15

Most of the episode was really good and then the ending ruined it. That is the most predictable and least interesting direction the show could have gone. How could the writers think making Delilah pregnant was a good decision. 

There are so many good things about this show and I want to love it but the writing is making it impossible. Katherine is amazing. I am thrilled that she ended things with Eddie but at the same time I think it is a mistake for the show if they are going to pair him with Delilah.

Rome and Regina are really good and the show is wasting them. I like Gary and Maggie individually but I do not like them as a couple.

The fallout from the affair was mostly well done and then everything is back to normal among the friends two episodes later. This one in particular makes me doubt the direction the show is going in  

I think this might be my last episode. 

5 hours ago, possibilities said:

Delilah's son has been missing since the pilot, hasn't he? I liked him. I hope they haven't forgotten he exists.

He has a storyline in the second episode we find out that he is gay and that Gary is the only one who knows. He was also in the beginning of the last episode playing with Gary. 

Edited by Guest

I'm giving this show some time to work out the kinks, pregnancy episodes are never good especially if "soap opera". They usually aren't the married couples child, they come early, have something wrong with them or are absent after birth. Also miscarriage, which still might happen here, she isn't young and it happens more as you get older.

Real couples don't follow a script so I give some leeway to how people act when under stress. Knowing someone with cancer is difficult,not like if they had it, but wanting to "save them" to be the rock, the support and if they don't want it, what do you do?  If Gary was the perfect person, did what we all would like, he wouldn't be real. I didn't like the cliche part of it but do see people I know doing similar things. I'll wait and see how the year goes, I hate soap operas and this show seemed to have promise, so I'll let them work it out and hopefully listen to viewers concerns and it will be on a few years. We need good TV.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, debraran said:

I'm giving this show some time to work out the kinks, pregnancy episodes are never good especially if "soap opera". They usually aren't the married couples child, they come early, have something wrong with them or are absent after birth. Also miscarriage, which still might happen here, she isn't young and it happens more as you get older.

Real couples don't follow a script so I give some leeway to how people act when under stress. Knowing someone with cancer is difficult,not like if they had it, but wanting to "save them" to be the rock, the support and if they don't want it, what do you do?  If Gary was the perfect person, did what we all would like, he wouldn't be real. I didn't like the cliche part of it but do see people I know doing similar things. I'll wait and see how the year goes, I hate soap operas and this show seemed to have promise, so I'll let them work it out and hopefully listen to viewers concerns and it will be on a few years. We need good TV.

I think the situation for Gary is even more fraught.  He’s had breast cancer, he has gone through major surgery and chemotherapy.  He knows what Maggie is facing better than anyone else could and I am sure there’s a part of him who understands exactly why she doesn’t  want to do it again.  It’s also a reminder that his future isn’t promised, either, and he might be facing the same decisions himself at some point.  He wants her to fight not only because he wants her to live, but also because he hopes he never has to make that decision for himself and, if he does, he hopes he’ll still want to fight.

• Love 15
7 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I hope we can follow up more about Rome and Gina deciding on not having children. So often on television, a couple deciding not to have kids is basically a complete oddity,or a sign that they have issues, and secretly really do want kids or something. Even people without a partner who reach a certain age seem to all get baby fever a few seasons in. I think it would be cool to explore that choice. 

This would be a fascinating angle to explore. I know two married couples who have decided not to have kids and it would be nice to see more couples like that on tv w/o it being depicted as some weird anomaly. And I agree with those who think Rome and Regina are being underutilized on this show.

Eddie's distract and delay tactic was too funny. Katherine broke my heart; as much as I'd like to see her and Eddie try to work things out I totally understand where she was coming from.

Chloe's online post...OUCH! I get that there isn't anything that could be done but did the school even talk to Chloe about how upsetting her post was?

Delilah is pregnant. Meh.

I now have 'Rainbow Connection' stuck in my head.

• Love 11
9 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

So...Maggie tells Gary that she's not doing any more treatment after discovering that Gary knew about her cancer. Well, I guess they got that secret out of the way. I did actually like Maggie telling Gary about why she decided to not go through with chemo. 

Which is why I LOATHE that they had Gary actually play basketball with her to get her to try to fight cancer. God, I hate when shows do this, where characters feel like they know better for their own selfish reasons. Gary's doing this for him more than he's doing it for Maggie. Instead of respecting her wishes, he decides that HE doesn't like it and he'll convince her to fight. Bruh, I was just starting to like you, too. 

Also, that was a horrific basketball game. I'm pretty sure they weren't playing right. 

I knew Maggie would win the game, so no surprise there, just like I knew she'd decide to fight. 

I hated this part. It was even worse once I remembered that they have only known each other for two weeks. 

32 minutes ago, Dani said:

I hated this part. It was even worse once I remembered that they have only known each other for two weeks. 

Yeah, it's not great. What I meant to delete from my original post was the part about her deciding to fight...although I assume that's coming later. I wrote that before I finished the episode, when I was raging about the basketball game. Gary came around in the end, which was nice, but not going to last, as I do still think Maggie will decide that her life is worth fighting for now that she has Gary in it...or something. This show is nothing short of predictable.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

I will say this-they do move their stories along. Just wish the ending wasn’t mostly spoilered in the promos last week. It made me sad for Rome, knowing Regina wasn’t pregnant.

It made me very happy. They're both in precarious places, financially, and with Rome, emotionally, adding a baby to the mix is not great. Besides, as others have posted, I think it would be good to have a couple who were in complete accord about not wanting children. That choice is underrepresented, and I'm all for it. I tell my daughters that I care if I become a grandmother - they should do what is right for them. Either way is good.

8 hours ago, possibilities said:

I get Gary having trouble with Maggie's decision, even though I think it's her right to make that decision. It's a lot to handle, and being freaked out about it at first is kind of okay with me. I think it's her right to make that decision, but I also get why it would upset people when they first hear about it. And she asked him not only to accept it, but to also keep it a secret. I can't imagine having a dying partner and not being able to tell anyone about it. To me, that's the part that's too much to ask. It also makes it way harder for him to process it and be there, if he has to not tell anyone. I see why she wouldn't want people to know, because they will surely act weird around her, and try to change her mind, and generally interfere with her ability to enjoy her time. So both of them are kind of understandable, it's just a really shitty situation any way you look at it.

I get it too - and I like that they showed that complexity (though the "game" was lame).

1 hour ago, woodstock said:

I now have 'Rainbow Connection' stuck in my head.

Me too. And I didn't even remember how the song went until the girl sang it.

This is the first time I noticed Delilah's accent. Maybe she had more dialogue?

I liked Eddie being shown as a competent at home parent, and Katherine as a caring mom.

@Lady Calypso, you must be looking over my shoulder. I was just going to make a comment about the "deciding to fight" part of your post. I thought maybe I'd missed something. :)

• Love 4

Fingers crossed for a false positive. No one wants a baby story. Didn't she meant to her daughter that she is 43. Not that you can't get pregnant in your 40s I just don't want a baby daddy story. 

It was heartbreaking  hearing Katharine say she felt like a tree in her own family. I think Eddie is seeing how much he really fucked up and took his marriage for granted. And Katharine's resentment to not being the primary parent and missing so much of There's life.

No Gary Maggie didn't hustle you with her basketball skills you tried to railroad someone that you had no knowledge of knowing how to play the game. And are we supposed to believe in Gary's instalove or whatever for Maggie after 2 weeks or thing maybe his attachment to her had something to do with the fact that she was with him during a difficult time of Jon's death. 

It seemed a little weird that Rome asked his dad if he ever felt down for a long time but didn't ask his mom. Like she couldn't be depressed. Secrets are coming out left and right but Gina still doesn't know about Rome's depression. I want Gina to be in a storyline that doesn't involve Delilah. I want to see them dealing with this as a couple. She is basically the last to know how will she react to that. 

• Love 8

Ugh. I was sure just from the commercials that it was Delilah who'd wind up pregnant. Gross. So gross. To borrow a line from "Splitting up Together"'s last episode: how does somebody that age accidentally get/get someone pregnant? Were they not only cheating shitheads, but stupid cheating shitheads who didn't use birth control? (yeah, I know accidents happen even when you're careful. whatever). And now a who's the daddy storyline. I want the daughter to find out and punch her mom in the face like she did her prayer circle friend. I really kind of loathe Delilah.

Eddie is such a douchebag. An unemployed, unfaithful alcoholic, but somehow his buds blame the wife trying to keep things afloat. When Katherine said to Gary that she knew they had their 'history'...do we know exactly what that's about? Just Gary blaming her for Eddie's problems and weaknesses?

I also hope Rome and Regina don't wind up with a baby. NOT having a baby is a perfectly viable life choice, and with their current situation, they couldn't be in a worse position to add a baby to the mix. Plus, there are enuf kids on this show already, and they all bore me.

I wanted this to not be a show I began to hate watch, but I think I am, much like This is Us. I might have to cut the cord on both, tho I'm still vaguely interested in just why Ron Livingston killed himself. Maybe just having to hang out with these folks was a compelling reason.

• Love 11
14 minutes ago, notcreative enough said:

It seemed a little weird that Rome asked his dad if he ever felt down for a long time but didn't ask his mom. Like she couldn't be depressed. Secrets are coming out left and right but Gina still doesn't know about Rome's depression. I want Gina to be in a storyline that doesn't involve Delilah. I want to see them dealing with this as a couple. She is basically the last to know how will she react to that. 

True. All we’ve seen Regina do is cook and be friends with Delilah. At this point, I know more about Maggi than I do Regina. She and Rome are the only solid couple on the show, but they’ve only had one real couple scene—when he talked to her about wanting to quit his job.

And it’s a common misconception that black women don’t—or shouldn’t—get depressed  It’s the Strong Black Woman syndrome. Rome even said, “she’s solid” to his therapist. But that doesn’t mean she can’t be depressed.

10 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Oh, I am not excited about Delilah baby daddy drama. I like her better when she is interacting with her kids than when she is crying over not being able to hook up with her side piece and not be seen as a total asshole, but I am still not a fan, and I dont care at all about who her baby daddy is. 

Exactly. I liked her scenes with Sophie. And I especially liked their discussion about religion. Delilah was honest by saying she didn’t believe in what Sophie was learning at church and in school, but it didn’t seem like she treated Jon or the kids like idiots for believing in God. 

• Love 4

I get the Working Mother Guilt Complex, but I don't really understand the Katherine love.  She is like every other working parent that has a stay-at-home partner - the one parent that feels as though she is missing out on everything, while the other one gets to go to all of the school plays, brings kids to doctors appointments and play dates, does all the household stuff, helps with homework, and is often the parent that the kids run to even though you, the working parent, haven't seen them all day.  Yeah, he gives guitar lessons, but that isn't the same as two full-time working parents.  Would she rather a nanny step in for Eddie and help with Theo?  At least there is one parent to take part in all of Theo's activities instead of no one showing up to his school plays.  She's an attorney - when you sign up for that and work for a law firm, you know you are required to have a certain amount of billable hours.  She's acting like he forced into that career and she has always wanted to do something else.  I don't blame her for kicking him out over the affair, but I just don't have any sympathy for her regarding her throwing her career at Eddie as if she had no control over it.  Would she rather the opposite?  Where she gets to stay at home and he works and never sees Theo?

10 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I totally agree with this. I was a bit disappointed (although he was so adorable about it) with Rome's reaction, because it does appear that they were doing the whole "secret desire for kids" thing with him when they found the positive test. 

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, TheGreenWave said:

I get the Working Mother Guilt Complex, but I don't really understand the Katherine love.  She is like every other working parent that has a stay-at-home partner - the one parent that feels as though she is missing out on everything, while the other one gets to go to all of the school plays, brings kids to doctors appointments and play dates, does all the household stuff, helps with homework, and is often the parent that the kids run to even though you, the working parent, haven't seen them all day.  Yeah, he gives guitar lessons, but that isn't the same as two full-time working parents.  Would she rather a nanny step in for Eddie and help with Theo?  At least there is one parent to take part in all of Theo's activities instead of no one showing up to his school plays.  She's an attorney - when you sign up for that and work for a law firm, you know you are required to have a certain amount of billable hours.  She's acting like he forced into that career and she has always wanted to do something else.  I don't blame her for kicking him out over the affair, but I just don't have any sympathy for her regarding her throwing her career at Eddie as if she had no control over it.  Would she rather the opposite?  Where she gets to stay at home and he works and never sees Theo?

True. Katherine did imply that she used to work less till Eddie’s band ‘imploded,’ and she had to step up to become the primary breadwinner. All so Eddie could stay home and diddle with his friend’s wife. BTW, do local bands really make that much money?

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, topanga said:

True. Katherine did imply that she used to work less till Eddie’s band ‘imploded,’ and she had to step up to become the primary breadwinner. All so Eddie could stay home and diddle with his friend’s wife. BTW, do local bands really make that much money?

Maybe if he toured all the time?  I don't know much about the music industry, but I feel like bands would have to tour to make money, since all of the record sale profits would probably go to the label that signed them.

• Love 3
53 minutes ago, notcreative enough said:

Fingers crossed for a false positive. No one wants a baby story. Didn't she meant to her daughter that she is 43. Not that you can't get pregnant in your 40s I just don't want a baby daddy story. 

It was heartbreaking  hearing Katharine say she felt like a tree in her own family. I think Eddie is seeing how much he really fucked up and took his marriage for granted. And Katharine's resentment to not being the primary parent and missi

I noticed a hesitation from his mom as she was walking by door. She heard him and I predict either she was depressed or she knows the dad was. Depression was usually hidden years ago and other cultures did it often even more often. I think it will be an education for many over time. I know my mom suffered and hid it, not wanting to seem weak

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2

While I know that it's still possible for Delilah to get pregnant, it seems unlikely given her age (she mentioned in this episode that she's 43) and the fact that you'd think a married woman who's having an affair would make sure to use birth control when having sex with the other guy. I know you can still get pregnant while using birth control and in your 40s but it just seems a little too convenient for the plot and what we know will be the requisite draaaaaama (and probably how/why Sophie will find out about the affair and then hate Delilah).

I had to laugh when Eddie's argument for not giving up on his marriage with Katherine was that they "worked so well together" that day. You didn't actually work together at all. Katherine hauled ass from court and you found a way to stall the play by shit stirring.

When Eddie initially called Gary and Rome for stalling tactics, I thought it was really selfish of him to want to delay the play for three hours for Katherine when there were probably other working parents who had taken the morning off to be at the play, so I was glad that when Eddie asked if they could delay the play by 20 minutes, the principal said no because other moms had to get back to work. Not everything is about your family, Eddie!

I hated Gary insisting that Maggie has to fight her cancer. No, she doesn't. It's her choice and some guy who's known her for a few weeks shouldn't be making life and death choices for her. As far as I'm concerned, no one gets to make that choice for you - not your spouse, not your parents, not your siblings, not your best friend, and especially not some guy you've been casually sleeping with for less than a month. I also hated that Gary accused Maggie of hustling him at the basketball game. Dude, you're just mad because you were trying to hustle her!

I liked that Rome and Regina chose not to have kids so I hope this doesn't turn into Rome deciding that he really does want kids. As someone else said upthread, it's so rare that we get to see married couples who choose not to have kids, so let's keep this ONE couple. I'm glad his mom told him that his dad has had bouts of depression too. And I'm REALLY glad that he followed through on his promise to go to another therapist. I hated that he even asked Maggie to be his therapist because it was really inappropriate and it put her in an awkward position when he kept begging and guilt tripping her.

I'm glad that Katherine realized she deserves better. Sure, Eddie is a great father to Theo but he hasn't been a great husband to her. Aside from the affair, he was clearly resentful of her and complaining about her to the guys a lot. Everyone deserves to be with someone who loves them and makes them happy, not someone who is bitching behind their back.

10 hours ago, possibilities said:

No, he's definitely been around since then. In the second episode, he offered to take Jon's place at Sophie's father daughter dance. He also got a fair amount of screen time in that episode because of his crush on someone at school and then his confession to Gary that he was afraid Jon committed suicide because he knew that he was gay. Last week, he was also seen play fighting with Gary in the kitchen and talking about Friday night dinner. He hasn't been in every episode, but he's definitely been seen regularly which is nice because I don't like Disappearing Kid Syndrome on tv shows.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, TheGreenWave said:

When Theo was born Eddie was an out of control alcoholic who got kicked out of his own band. She really didn’t have a choice about being the only working parent.

I don’t think she has ever criticized Eddie for being a stay at home dad. I think what she objected to is her being a workaholic  was used as justification for him to bitch about her to his friends and cheat on her. 

Edited by Guest

Wow!  Delilah's pregnant?  I never, ever, ever saw that twist coming!

giphy.gif

This episode was so infuriating because it showed, simultaneously, what this show could be and what this show is.  

So, can we PLEASE just have a show with Rome and Regina?  If not, can we at least give Regina something to do?  I think she could be a fantastic character and I think Moses is probably a fabulous actress, but she's always just the sidekick.  Ugh!  And why isn't the Rome/Regina story the focus?  I mean it, it is the plot that *should* be central considering the premise of the show.

As much as I am enjoying Gary and I think that the Gary/Maggie story is interesting, I had a real problem with it in this episode.  One of the things I hate on TV shows is when some decision--usually will person A go on a date with person B--is left up to some game.  Now, if I hate it over a date, guess what I think about it when it is over WHETHER OR NOT SOMEONE WILL DIE!  First of all, this deserves more care than that.  Secondly, it is stupid and it sort of brought me out of a story that I actually found interesting.

I thought the Katherine and Eddie stuff was fairly well done, even if I am starting to think Katherine is a little too go to be true (although I'd much rather have that than anything involving Delilah).  I am glad that we got very little of "the talk" with Theo because that is just downright depressing no matter how you do it.  I'll say it again: I don't care if Eddie and Katherine reconcile or not, but I do want to see the process.  It would have to force Eddie's character to develop and I do think they could tie it into the central themes of the show.  Of course, there are other ways to develop Eddie's character, but playing Who's Your Daddy is not one of them.

Here is one of my major frustrations: this show has, basically, 4 plots going:  We have Rome's story, we have Gary and Maggie's story, we have Eddie and Katherine's story, and then we have all that is Delilah.  That is at least one too many plots.  Honestly, just having Rome and Gary/Maggie would be enough, but I'm willing to watch Eddie and Katherine because my eyes like David Giuntoli (and despite being stuck with a crap role, he really is playing it extremely well).  But we are kind of stuck with the life-sucker that is Delilah.  I don't care about her pregnancy, I don't care who the Daddy is, and I don't even really care about the affair beyond the fact that it plays into Katherine and Eddie's story.  Yet, she seems to be getting all this real estate that really needs to be given to other storylines.  If the role was better written and if someone who has more than minimal acting chops was playing it, maybe I'd be a little more generous towards her.  But that isn't the case and I'm not feeling generous.

Also, did you notice...no flashbacks in this episode!  You can actually tell a good story with no (or even just minimal, but well placed) flashbacks!  Now, if we could just get this show to dump Delilah...

13 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Did they randomly skip ahead a few months or something? Because, from the way people are acting, it's like a bunch of time has passed, even though I think it's only been two weeks. Rome's talking about how he quit his job and doesn't feel happy. Um...ok, because you JUST quit your job and it takes time. 

According to an interview with DG I posted in the media thread, we are now *4 days* past Jon's funeral--each episode is one consecutive day.  Which means we are 13 days past Jon's death.  Yup...wrap your brain around that one...

...did we know about Sophie and Danny going to Catholic school? What? I must have missed that revelation.

In the 2nd episode (the Daddy/Daughter dance) they said they went to Holy Cross school, which is a dead giveaway that it is a Catholic school.  Also, this show has enough shit going on without bringing faith and religion into things (and, if they are going to bring it in, Delilah is the last character who should do it).

2 hours ago, notcreative enough said:

Even though Stozsak is 43, I am having a hard time buying that Delilah is 43.  Sorry, but it's true.  It is easier for me to buy that Gary is 35 (even though the actor is 42).  And that wasn't easy for me to buy.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, topanga said:

I think they said once that his band opened for a big time band. Though maybe local bands might do that, they wouldn't be small time local bands. The backstage scene had them wearing passes, as I recall. That's definitely not typical for small time local bands. Though of course that could have been the aforementioned opening for the big time band. And then there's the probability that the definition of "local" in a large urban area might not mean small time. 

• Love 1

That was a Grade A douche move by Gary. But thankfully, the show only had Maggie agree to it because she knew she could win. You could almost see her thinking, "basketball? That's my game! Let's do this."

13 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I am very interested in Rome and Gina discussing their decision to remain childless and maybe revisit it; even if they come to the same conclusion. Actually, ESPECIALLY if they come to the same conclusion. TV has far too few couples who are childless by choice.  I really like both actors and also want to see Rome working with a therapist to learn more about himself and his depression as well as Regina finding out and being supportive.

I would also like to see them continue to choose to be child-free. That's definitely an underrepresented experience on TV and in movies. Also, personally, I wish more people would use the term child-free instead of childless. I feel like childless is a negative term and child-free is a more positive one. I'm not trying to call anyone out on that though. Or single you out. I know that's how it's usually referred to.

This was a pretty good episode in terms of Eddie/Katherine, Rome and his depression and Gary/Maggie but I could do with far less of Sophie. Sophie plus Delilah is just too much for me. Let's add a little more Regina in the mix. She cracked me up with how happy she was eating that ice cream (?) at the end of the episode.

I am thrilled that Katherine cut Eddie loose. She deserves so much better. I don't want him with Delilah either, but at least those two deserve each other. 

I would have liked a couple more episodes of Jon's friends freezing out or punishing Eddie and Delilah at little more. They forgave them way too quickly.

This is horrible but I hope Delilah has a miscarriage. I don't want her to have Jon's or Eddie's baby.

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

This was a pretty good episode in terms of Eddie/Katherine, Rome and his depression and Gary/Maggie but I could do with far less of Sophie. Sophie plus Delilah is just too much for me. Let's add a little more Regina in the mix. She cracked me up with how happy she was eating that ice cream (?) at the end of the episode.

This is horrible but I hope Delilah has a miscarriage. I don't want her to have Jon's or Eddie's baby.

I'm not a fan of Sophie either.  The actress is fine, although not remarkable, but I can do without yet another sulky teenager.  Plus, you can't have Sophie without Delilah and I hate Delilah more and more with every episode.

Edited by HazelEyes4325
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

According to an interview with DG I posted in the media thread, we are now *4 days* past Jon's funeral--each episode is one consecutive day.  Which means we are 13 days past Jon's death.  Yup...wrap your brain around that one..

I am a little confused about the 4days vs 13, if each episode is a consecutive day. Even so, that is wierd storytelling given the subject. 

Though I like that Katherine kicked Eddie out, it bugged that they told Theo just before he went to school. They couldn't wait until the weekend?

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 8
5 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I am a little confused about the 4days vs 13, if each episode is a consecutive day. Even so, that is wierd storytelling given the subject. 

Though I like that Katherine kicked Eddie out, it bugged that they told Them just before he went to school. They couldn't wait until the weekend?

The first episode started with Jon's suicide and had his funeral.  According to the dates on Eddie's voice mail, the funeral was 9 days after his death (which is about right for an unexpected death).  Since then, each episode is supposedly the next day.  

Personally, I'm waiting for the episode where everyone does their laundry because they've been too busy quitting their jobs, ending their marriages, and playing basketball to decide whether someone lives and dies.  They have to do laundry SOMETIME, right?

But, seriously, if that is really the plan--each episode is the next day--I don't know how they are going to keep it up.

Another random detail that I find perplexing:  Gary must come from money, because that apartment and that car are far too expensive for a cube-dwelling actuary to afford.  Just sayin'.

Edited by HazelEyes4325
  • Love 7
11 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

According to an interview with DG I posted in the media thread, we are now *4 days* past Jon's funeral--each episode is one consecutive day.  Which means we are 13 days past Jon's death.  Yup...wrap your brain around that one...

In the beginning of the 4th episode Gary mentions that it has been a week since the affair was revealed. It’s probably one day per episode with an occasional time jump in between episodes to make it slightly less ludicrous.  So less than 2 weeks since the funeral. 

Gary and Maggie also didn’t talk during that week. Which means that this was approximately the 6th day they have been together. Well, with a long term commitment like that why shouldn’t he be able to force her to undergo cancer treatment. ?

1 hour ago, Dani said:

When Theo was born Eddie was an out of control alcoholic who got kicked out of his own band. She really didn’t have a choice about being the only working parent.

I don’t think she has ever criticized Eddie for being a stay at home dad. I think what she objected to is her being a workaholic  was used as justification for him to bitch about her to his friends and cheat on her. 

Oh, I don't disagree that he was out of control at the time (the fact that Gary had to get him out of the bar when she was in labor is proof enough of that).  I guess my point is: what is her alternative? I mean, if she wasn't the only working parent, does that mean she wants a different career, etc.?  She's not the only woman to be a sole breadwinner (again, not an excuse for him to cheat).  It's not clear to me.

I didn't mean to imply that she criticized him for being a SAHD - my point was more focused on her - what would she have him do otherwise?  I assume when they met and married that he was in a band.  What does she want?  Maybe that is what she is figuring out.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

While I know that it's still possible for Delilah to get pregnant, it seems unlikely given her age (she mentioned in this episode that she's 43) and the fact that you'd think a married woman who's having an affair would make sure to use birth control when having sex with the other guy. I know you can still get pregnant while using birth control and in your 40s but it just seems a little too convenient for the plot and what we know will be the requisite draaaaaama (and probably how/why Sophie will find out about the affair and then hate Delilah).

I have a lot of problems with Delilah being pregnant, but this is one of them,  I am so frickin' tired of writers thinking that women are morons who have no control over their bodies.  Of course, Delilah was on birth control...she was married and didn't have eleventy million kids.  She was also having an affair (which I would hope would mean she would be looking not only at birth control but disease prevention as well.  So, even if she had an IUD or the like, I would hope they were still using condoms).  I would also have this problem (not the affair part) if it were Regina. 

This whole pregnancy thing may just be the thing that brings this show to a premature death.

Edited by HazelEyes4325
  • Love 7
12 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

And we got confirmation in S1.E4 that the episode took place on the third Friday after Jon's death because Sophie said, "For the past two Fridays, there's been some excuse not to do pizza night."

In the same episode, Gary and Delilah were discussing the fallout from everyone learning about Katherine and Eddie's affair. Gary said it had been a week since the hockey game aka the previous episode.

12 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I think they said once that his band opened for a big time band. Though maybe local bands might do that, they wouldn't be small time local bands. The backstage scene had them wearing passes, as I recall. That's definitely not typical for small time local bands. Though of course that could have been the aforementioned opening for the big time band. And then there's the probability that the definition of "local" in a large urban area might not mean small time. 

Eddie's band opened for Kings of Leon which is what we saw in the flashback where everyone had backstage passes. Gary said that happened over a decade ago and according to the internet, Kings of Leon played six American dates in 2008 (none in Boston but one date in New Jersey). They also played twenty-nine American dates in 2006   but since we saw that Katherine was pregnant with Theo in the flashback, it's most likely that Gary was just exaggerating when he said that it was  over a decade ago.

• Love 2

Yeah, I want to know more about Katherine. It is a hard turn though that she has now done to the family though, Eddie moving out and into Gary’s,  her I guess essentially becoming the primary care giver. At least that’s what it sounded like, when Eddie was assuring his son that they would face time every night. It made me think Katherine was now taking over the main role.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

And we got confirmation in S1.E4 that the episode took place on the third Friday after Jon's death because Sophie said, "For the past two Fridays, there's been some excuse not to do pizza night."

In the same episode, Gary and Delilah were discussing the fallout from everyone learning about Katherine and Eddie's affair. Gary said it had been a week since the hockey game aka the previous episode.

I'm not debating that is what the show said, but I think it doesn't mathematically work out. 

Please excuse me while I geek out for a second...

Jon dies on 10/12/2018, which is a Friday.  I'm guessing pizza didn't happen that night.  9 days later is 10/21 (a Sunday...which doesn't make sense as churches tend not to have funerals on Sundays) so we can also assume that pizza didn't happen on 10/19.  That puts the last episode at 10/26, which is 14 days after Jon's death, but 4 days after the hockey game/revelation of the affair.  So, maybe an extra day or two was there, but either Gary was wrong about it being a week or DJ Nash doesn't know how to use a calendar.  In either case, this is a pretty stupid mistake for a show to make so early in its run.

Now, a couple of days had to have passed since the last episode, unless Theo goes to some wacko school that has classes on Saturdays or Sundays.  It's possible, I guess, or else Gary doesn't actually work during the week (nor does Maggie).  Again, these are mistakes that shouldn't happen.

Don’t shoot the messenger! I’m just quoting what the characters have said on the show.

Continuity mistakes always drive me crazy and it’s really inexcusable when we’re only on the fifth episode. They shouldn’t need a big whiteboard with a timeline to keep their dates straight at this point! 

2 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I'm not debating that is what the show said, but I think it doesn't mathematically work out. 

Jon dies on 10/12/2018, which is a Friday.  I'm guessing pizza didn't happen that night.  9 days later is 10/21 (a Sunday...which doesn't make sense as churches tend not to have funerals on Sundays) so we can also assume that pizza didn't happen on 10/19.  That puts the last episode at 10/26, which is 14 days after Jon's death, but 4 days after the hockey game/revelation of the affair.  So, maybe an extra day or two was there, but either Gary was wrong about it being a week or DJ Nash doesn't know how to use a calendar.  In either case, this is a pretty stupid mistake for a show to make so early in its run.

Now, a couple of days had to have passed since the last episode, unless Theo goes to some wacko school that has classes on Saturdays or Sundays.  It's possible, I guess, or else Gary doesn't actually work during the week (nor does Maggie).  Again, these are mistakes that shouldn't happen.

It makes no sense but the funeral was definitely on the 10/21. We see the calendar in band of dads and the father daughter dance was on 10/22. The timeline is such a mess they need to stop using specific dates. 

15 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I checked the script for the pilot and actually, Jon died on a Monday. When Eddie went into his extensive lie about what he was doing when Jon called him that wasn't about boning his now dead best friend's wife:

Uh, yeah Mondays, noon, I teach this kid, Talbot, guitar during his lunch break.

So, he died on a Monday, the funeral was, I assume now the following Wednesday (so the first pizza night was missed due to the family still grieving). The third episode took place a day after, and then a week passed between that and the fourth episode for pizza night. So the timeline DOES line up.

I have no idea how much time has passed between last episode and this one, though. We know it's definitely during the week, so at least two full days have passed. I'd say they even skipped ahead another week, since Katherine/Eddie seemed to be communicating a little better, Gary had waited for Maggie to tell him about her cancer, and for Delilah to figure out that she might be pregnant. 

It makes no sense but the funeral was definitely on the 10/21. We see the calendar in band of dads and the father daughter dance was on 10/22. The timeline is such a mess they need to stop using specific dates. 

Huh. Well, yeah, the prop department probably should have consolidated with the writers or the showrunners on this one.

5 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I checked the script for the pilot and actually, Jon died on a Monday. When Eddie went into his extensive lie about what he was doing when Jon called him that wasn't about boning his now dead best friend's wife:

So, he died on a Monday, the funeral was, I assume now the following Wednesday (so the first pizza night was missed due to the family still grieving). The third episode took place a day after, and then a week passed between that and the fourth episode for pizza night. So the timeline DOES line up.

I have no idea how much time has passed between last episode and this one, though. We know it's definitely during the week, so at least two full days have passed. I'd say they even skipped ahead another week, since Katherine/Eddie seemed to be communicating a little better, Gary had waited for Maggie to tell him about her cancer, and for Delilah to figure out that she might be pregnant. 

Huh. Well, yeah, the prop department probably should have consolidated with the writers or the showrunners on this one.

There is article posted in the media thread where the shows creator said that Jon died on October 12. Just goes to show how little thought was given to consistency. 

Edited by Guest
3 minutes ago, Dani said:

There is article posted in the media thread where the shows creator said that Jon died on October 12. Just goes to show how little thought was given to consistency. 

....well, that's stupid. Does DJ KNOW how things work in the real world? Funerals on Sundays? Dances on Mondays? 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Dani said:

He has a storyline in the second episode we find out that he is gay and that Gary is the only one who knows. He was also in the beginning of the last episode playing with Gary. 

Thanks for the clarification. I somehow thought the gay story was in the pilot and I forgot about the other one.

4 hours ago, woodstock said:

Chloe's online post...OUCH! I get that there isn't anything that could be done but did the school even talk to Chloe about how upsetting her post was?

I think it was pointed that the school actually did promote the belief that Chloe subscribed to, though. If they are teaching that sinning  leads to hell and that suicide is sinful, they can't really complain about Chloe, because she's actually acting exactly as they would want someone to act, i.e. pray for him. That's why Sophie was so upset. It looked like the school principal understood why Sophie was upset, and he went lightly on her by making an exception to the zero tolerance policy about violence. But at the same time, what can he do about Chloe, really? Tell her not to "show compassion" by praying for John, after what they taught her?

59 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

This episode was so infuriating because it showed, simultaneously, what this show could be and what this show is.  

So, can we PLEASE just have a show with Rome and Regina?  If not, can we at least give Regina something to do?  I think she could be a fantastic character and I think Moses is probably a fabulous actress, but she's always just the sidekick.  Ugh!  And why isn't the Rome/Regina story the focus?  I mean it, it is the plot that *should* be central considering the premise of the show.

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

59 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

As much as I am enjoying Gary and I think that the Gary/Maggie story is interesting, I had a real problem with it in this episode.  One of the things I hate on TV shows is when some decision--usually will person A go on a date with person B--is left up to some game

I didn't think they were really going to stick with the agreement that whoever wins gets to decide. I think she was kind of humoring him, and he was kind of pleading with her, but that it wasn't really going to play out that the game determined what she would do.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Don’t shoot the messenger! I’m just quoting what the characters have said on the show.

Continuity mistakes always drive me crazy and it’s really inexcusable when we’re only on the fifth episode. They shouldn’t need a big whiteboard with a timeline to keep their dates straight at this point! 

Sorry!  My frustration was not aimed at you, but at the show.  And, yeah, continuity issues drive me crazy as well (as you can probably tell!)

I was sure I saw 10/12 as a date in the pilot (yeah, I'm scanning through it now, looking for it--there it is!  At the end of the memorial film thingie Rome makes!) and DJ Nash confirms it, as if it was something important, in this article, which concerns spoilers--most of which have already happened--so in case you don't want to read it, here's the bit about the dates:

Nash also confirmed that Jon killed himself on Oct. 12, which makes it two years and two days after he updated his life insurance policy.

“You may ask this question: Why is the date later than when the series started? It’s because of when hockey season starts,” he said. “We brought it to the future a little bit, and also because our show does not take place over a ton of time. Like, sometimes episodes are a day later.”

(This also clears up that only SOME episodes are on consecutive days, but not all).  So, Jon may very well have killed himself on a Monday...but that means this show takes place in some alternate universe with a completely different time continuum.  

Or...maybe someone decided that a guy who can't read a fucking calendar should have his own show.

1 minute ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

(This also clears up that only SOME episodes are on consecutive days, but not all).  So, Jon may very well have killed himself on a Monday...but that means this show takes place in some alternate universe with a completely different time continuum.  

My feeling is that Giuntoli misspoke and he meant that each episode takes place within a day, rather than all the episodes taking place a day apart. Since a lot of shows tend to have episodes take place over several days, this show seems to confine it to one day an episode, which lines up better with what Giuntoli said in his interview.

That being said, Jon couldn't have died on October 12th and had Eddie making an excuse that he couldn't answer his phone because he was teaching a kid that he has every Monday. 

I'd like to know what day this episode falls under. Not that it really matters but I'm curious to see how far along Delilah is in her pregnancy. Imagine if the baby was conceived on the day Jon committed suicide. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

That being said, Jon couldn't have died on October 12th and had Eddie making an excuse that he couldn't answer his phone because he was teaching a kid that he has every Monday. 

The worst part is both these statements were made in the pilot. I keep forgetting that I need to stop trying to make sense of this show. It is a lot more enjoyable if you throw logic and continuity out the window. 

7 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I'd like to know what day this episode falls under. Not that it really matters but I'm curious to see how far along Delilah is in her pregnancy. Imagine if the baby was conceived on the day Jon committed suicide. 

Anything is possible but I would be surprised if Gary would have waited very long to try and get Maggie to confide in him. My guess would be there is no more than a week gap before this episode. 

5 minutes ago, Dani said:

Anything is possible but I would be surprised if Gary would have waited very long to try and get Maggie to confide in him. My guess would be there is no more than a week gap before this episode. 

I also don't think that Eddie and Katherine were living together but separately for that long after the big revelation.  It was pretty clear that they were doing all they could to make things seem "normal" for Theo (and they actually co-parent quite well), but that is hard to keep up for very long.  I'm going to stick with your less than a week guess here. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I also don't think that Eddie and Katherine were living together but separately for that long after the big revelation.  It was pretty clear that they were doing all they could to make things seem "normal" for Theo (and they actually co-parent quite well), but that is hard to keep up for very long.  I'm going to stick with your less than a week guess here. 

I believe it. I have a friend who was getting a divorce, but she and her husband didn’t think their kids were ready to handle the news (they ranged in age from 4-8). So for months, “Kevin” would sit in the house till the kids fell asleep, then drive to his apartment for the night, then turn around and drive back to the family home in the morning before the kids woke up. It sounds exhausting. Not to mention emotionally draining—the reason Kevin and “Emily” were getting a divorce in the first place is because they didn’t want to be around each other anymore. 

1 hour ago, Dani said:

The worst part is both these statements were made in the pilot. I keep forgetting that I need to stop trying to make sense of this show. It is a lot more enjoyable if you throw logic and continuity out the window. 

That’s where I am, too. LOL. But the adult woman having an accidental pregnancy? Sure, this happens in real life, but it has become an overused trope on TV. Delilah has managed to have only two children during her marriage. Unless she’s had miscarriages and/or voluntary terminations through these years. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, topanga said:

That’s where I am, too. LOL. But the adult woman having an accidental pregnancy? Sure, this happens in real life, but it has become an overused trope on TV. Delilah has managed to have only two children during her marriage. Unless she’s had miscarriages and/or voluntary terminations through these years. 

This episode also established the fact that Jon was Catholic, and apparently devout as he was the one who took the kids to church, and Delilah is at least agnostic.  So, I'm guessing that she was the one responsible for birth control in their marriage--and I'll assume that meant no vasectomy for Jon.  Setting us up for a nice little game of Who's Your Daddy.

Yeah, I'm over the oopsie pregnancies happening to women who really, really should not (logically) be in such a position.  It seems to happen far too often, and especially when men are in charge of the stories.

....well, that's stupid. Does DJ KNOW how things work in the real world? Funerals on Sundays? Dances on Mondays? 

Also, funerals on Sundays in churches cloaked for Lent...in October.

Edited by HazelEyes4325
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, TheGreenWave said:

stI get the Working Mother Guilt Complex, but I don't really understand the Katherine love.  She is like every other working parent that has a stay-at-home partner - the one parent that feels as though she is missing out on everything, while the other one gets to go to all of the school plays, brings kids to doctors appointments and play dates, does all the household stuff, helps with homework, and is often the parent that the kids run to even though you, the working parent, haven't seen them all day.  Yeah, he gives guitar lessons, but that isn't the same as two full-time working parents.  Would she rather a nanny step in for Eddie and help with Theo?  At least there is one parent to take part in all of Theo's activities instead of no one showing up to his school plays.  She's an attorney - when you sign up for that and work for a law firm, you know you are required to have a certain amount of billable hours.  She's acting like he forced into that career and she has always wanted to do something else.  I don't blame her for kicking him out over the affair, but I just don't have any sympathy for her regarding her throwing her career at Eddie as if she had no control over it.  Would she rather the opposite?  Where she gets to stay at home and he works and never sees Theo?

I totally agree with this. I was a bit disappointed (although he was so adorable about it) with Rome's reaction, because it does appear that they were doing the whole "secret desire for kids" thing with him when they found the positive test. 

Rome's reaction to the possible pregnancy doesn't necessarily mean he's had a change of heart about kids, IMO.  Remember, he's been seriously depressed to the point of attempting suicide.  He quit his job in hopes that doing something more creative would help but it hasn't, yet.  He just started seeing a psychiatrist and taking meds, but there's no way he's feeling better yet.  Meanwhile, he's got Eddie telling him how much he loves his son, how he's the center of his life, how much happiness Theo gives him.  I can see him thinking, in the first moments, that maybe a child is what he needs to turn his life around; but I can also see him taking a step back from it now he knows Regina isn't pregnant and realistically assessing his own feelings and realizing that he is not Eddie and that having a child is just not high on his list of priorities.

As for Katherine, I get the idea that while she wants to be an attorney, she doesn't necessarily want the partner track, high pressure job she's got but she feels she has no choice because Eddie isn't bringing in much income.  Maybe she'd rather be working part time and not be gunning for a partnership, maybe she'd rather be working for a non-profit or legal aid; but it wouldn't be enough to pay the bills.  Of course, both she and Eddie could make some tough financial decisions and pare down their lifestyle, but maybe she feels she owes it to Theo to live in a nice neighborhood with excellent schools and feels she cannot slow down because Eddie either cannot or will not pick up the slack.

• Love 3