Type keyword(s) to search

S01E04: Unclaimed Baggage

CooperTV
  • Start Topic

Could anyone please do a brief overview of the important plot twists (the kind that would impact on our knowledge of what happened to the plane)? I had my DVR set, but we had a 2-hour power outage, so nothing was recorded.  TIA

On 10/18/2018 at 4:26 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I recently saw Aaron Tveit in concert so I was reminiscing about the Graceland days too!

I saw him in Moulin Rouge in July...be still my heart!  Maybe we could have a Tveit-Sunjata reunion, since surely there are plenty of potential characters for future episodes!

I agree with everyone about the insurance.  I would not pay it back, and I would totally make the insurance company take my happy self to court to try to get it from me.

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, Leia1021 said:

Could anyone please do a brief overview of the important plot twists (the kind that would impact on our knowledge of what happened to the plane)? I had my DVR set, but we had a 2-hour power outage, so nothing was recorded.  TIA

The episode should be on the NBC website, if you want to watch.  

We didn't learn anything that gives us a clue about what happened to the plane.

Things that might impact future episodes:
- Flight attendant smuggled a stowaway (her cousin's boyfriend) on plane because they were persecuted for their sexuality in Jamaica - he sneaked away after Flight 828 landed, started living on the streets, and was brought to the hospital and diagnosed with schizophrenia.  Saanvi's brain scan is similar to his, and voices/signs tell her to save him.
- NSA tries to arrest stowaway but before they grab him, Saanvi and flight attendant (aided by Michaela and later Ben) hide stowaway in a basement boiler room
- Michaela misinterprets voices, and almost gets her ex-boyfriend fired 
- Insurance company wants their money back, Ben's wife has no savings and Ben comes up with a plan to make money with a loan
- Ben accidentally meets his wife's ex-boyfriend Danny when Olive is caught shoplifting and she calls Danny instead of Ben

I might have forgotten something...

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 3
On 10/16/2018 at 6:19 AM, shapeshifter said:

Yes, the whole time Ben was yelling into his phone not to tell anyone anything, I kept expecting a cut away to NSA agents listening to the conversation.

Even 5 and a half years ago there were burner phones. If you're paranoid, justifiably or not, wouldn't you just use those?

• Love 2

I really like the idea of borrowing money to repay debt. Surprised no one has thought of it before! Imma try it and will treat you all to yachts in a few months. Or what? Okay maybe balloon rides. Hey don't blame me I just do whatever the voices say.

Edited by fauntleroy
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, SpiritSong said:
On October 16, 2018 at 8:19 AM, shapeshifter said:

Yes, the whole time Ben was yelling into his phone not to tell anyone anything, I kept expecting a cut away to NSA agents listening to the conversation.

Even 5 and a half years ago there were burner phones. If you're paranoid, justifiably or not, wouldn't you just use those?

Now that you mention it, they might have just bought cheap pay-as-you go phones at Walmart since their old phones weren't working, which would be untraceable "burners." I guess it would depend upon whether or not their 5½-year-old phones (which could have been a lot older than that) were obsolete or not. Someone upthread(s) suggested the NSA could've/should've orchestrated all of the passengers being gifted with new phones and service that would have secretly been bugged.

ON OCTOBER 18, 2018 AT 4:05 PM, STEALINGHOME SAID:

If the characters (by which I mean writers) were smarter, they'd have one of the 828ers appear to go collaborate with the government but really be a double agent. You could develop a great cat-and-mouse game there

I I got the impression that Michaela's ex was doing that (initally going along with being a spy for the NSA, but then covering for Michaela).

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, SpiritSong said:

17 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Now that you mention it, they might have just bought cheap pay-as-you go phones at Walmart since their old phones weren't working, which would be untraceable "burners." I guess it would depend upon whether or not their 5½-year-old phones (which could have been a lot older than that) were obsolete or not.

Everything I know about burner phones I learned from The Wire!

• Love 2

Don't leave, stay for the snark! As they used to say. Does anyone remember The Event, another grand stupid show from NBC. Just nonsense, written by 8-yr-olds if that. 'Murmansk in my pansk.'

This show is like that show. Wonder if any of the child writers are the same. Part of the appeal is imagining them spitballing scenarios. As it becomes more evident with each episode that no way will they be able to tie it into something coherent. Channeling inner 8-yr-old my money is on parallel universes and their counterparts aged five years but only a couple of hours passed outside. Season 2?

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, fauntleroy said:

Don't leave, stay for the snark! As they used to say. Does anyone remember The Event, another grand stupid show from NBC. Just nonsense, written by 8-yr-olds if that. 'Murmansk in my pansk.'

This show is like that show. Wonder if any of the child writers are the same. Part of the appeal is imagining them spitballing scenarios. As it becomes more evident with each episode that no way will they be able to tie it into something coherent. Channeling inner 8-yr-old my money is on parallel universes and their counterparts aged five years but only a couple of hours passed outside. Season 2?

Oddly, 'The Event' also involved a plane disappearing in the very first episode.  Coincidence ?

• Love 2

I guess it would depend upon whether or not their 5½-year-old phones (which could have been a lot older than that) were obsolete or not.

I had an iPhone 4S, which Google tells me was introduced in 2011, I bought it in 2013 and used it until the beginning of this year.  I'd probably still be using it, but getting the plug to seat properly became something of an art form, and it was a challenge to recharge it.  I replaced it with an iPhone 5S, which was introduced in 2013, so a 5+ year old phone should still work today.

• Love 1
On 10/21/2018 at 10:41 AM, OpalNightstream said:

I can’t watch this stupid show anymore. I’m deleting it from my DVR. it’s just too stupid.

Why do you think I watch it?  Because it is stupid and I can come here and make fun of it.  If I liked it I wouldn't be posting here, heh.

As for the 5+ year old phones bit if this was a real problem and not an endless loophole in bad writing ... they wouldn't work because no one around was there to pay their phone bill so their phone service would have been disconnected years ago.  In the case of Ben's wife, she would have told them to cancel out his phone because she didn't want to pay his phone bills any more.  So they would have had to have had to at least buy new sims (numbers) before they could work again which if you do that then just buy a new updated phone at the same time.

It would have been funny though in episode 1 if we saw someone trying to use their cell and not understanding why they didn't have phone service anymore.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, green said:

Why do you think I watch it?  Because it is stupid and I can come here and make fun of it.  If I liked it I wouldn't be posting here, heh.

As for the 5+ year old phones bit if this was a real problem and not an endless loophole in bad writing ... they wouldn't work because no one around was there to pay their phone bill so their phone service would have been disconnected years ago.  In the case of Ben's wife, she would have told them to cancel out his phone because she didn't want to pay his phone bills any more.  So they would have had to have had to at least buy new sims (numbers) before they could work again which if you do that then just buy a new updated phone at the same time.

It would have been funny though in episode 1 if we saw someone trying to use their cell and not understanding why they didn't have phone service anymore.

Excellent points all around! I get it...come for the bad storyline, stay for the snark. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Moose135 said:

I guess it would depend upon whether or not their 5½-year-old phones (which could have been a lot older than that) were obsolete or not.

I had an iPhone 4S, which Google tells me was introduced in 2011, I bought it in 2013 and used it until the beginning of this year.  I'd probably still be using it, but getting the plug to seat properly became something of an art form, and it was a challenge to recharge it.  I replaced it with an iPhone 5S, which was introduced in 2013, so a 5+ year old phone should still work today.

Sure.
But, for instance, right now I too have an iPhone 5. If I go through a wormhole tonight (yes, please), there's a good chance that it won't work in 2024, since, as it is, it can't update to the latest OS.
But, it really:

2 hours ago, green said:

As for the 5+ year old phones bit . . . endless loophole in bad writing

Although, regarding:

8 minutes ago, OpalNightstream said:

they wouldn't work because no one around was there to pay their phone bill so their phone service would have been disconnected years ago.

I recently sent my iPhone 4 (that I hadn't used in several years) to a daughter, who was able to use it with a service plan. So the wormholers could have used their old phones with new plans.

Edited by shapeshifter

I thought Ben missed some good opportunities to understand Olive. She said she's a screw up, doesn't deserve a second chance etc. I felt like in his rush to be all "no you're wonderful and I'm totally a cool dad" he missed opportunities to ask follow up questions and learn why she's being so squirrely. He just papered over her concerns with positivity. Not good active listening, Dad!

My BF and I have a hard time finding mutual TV shows but from what stacks up in the Tivo he keeps choosing this one...so we're in for now.

• Love 2
On 10/15/2018 at 9:12 PM, djinn said:

I wonder if there's any significance to the fact that Saanvi saw wet feet while Michaela saw the wings, in their respective visions, other than the fact the they needed to work together to solve the mystery.

Maybe that Saanvi wants to get to the bottom of things and Michaela flits around. lol

On 10/16/2018 at 6:18 AM, LilaFowler said:

I'm puzzled about where the show is trying to go with this. The maid confessed to killing Kelly Taylor, so there was no actual shadow killer in that episode. However, Cal drew one in his picture of the family. Unless a shadow killer isn't a specific entity following survivors around, it's just someone or something in their life that is an imminent threat.

I just thought it was Danny.

On 10/16/2018 at 7:11 AM, TVForever said:

Dang it, its Daniel Sunjata. How can I root for Ben now when his competition is my Dreamboat Daniel Sunjata?

The moment I heard Sunjata was playing Danny, I was team Danny. And team Ben and Saanvi.

On 10/16/2018 at 9:26 AM, sempervivum said:

Yeah, really, show? You couldn't find a non-Hispanic, non-bearded actor to play one of those parts? Stupid (unless their similarity ends up being a plot point)

I recognized Sunjata immediately, and don't really think they look that much alike. But since I'm very familiar with Sunjata (Rescue Me), maybe I just didn't notice.

On 10/16/2018 at 4:57 PM, Arnella said:

Am I the only one who thinks Ben had more chemistry with Saanvi in their short scenes than with Grace these 4 whole episodes?  I don't want anymore soap opera angsty trianges (quadrangles?) - I'm just sayin'...

Absolutely. I just want them to pair off Grace/Danny Saanvi/Ben. Something for everyone - even the kids. The girl is closer to Danny, and the boy is closer to Saanvi (albeit a more recent development)

• Love 2

Lourdas feel like the consolation prize, when they all were together Jared wanted Michaela once she was out of the picture he hooked up with Lourdas.  But now that Michaela is back ......

Grace was in a stressful marriage with Ben with twins one healthy child - Olive and one sick one Cal

Grace is in a stress free relationship with Danny and one child Olive.  Do either Grace or Olive really want Ben and sick boy Cal back? I think not, they can stop pretending.  

• Love 3
On 10/26/2018 at 9:43 PM, terxav said:

Grace is in a stress free relationship with Danny and one child Olive.  Do either Grace or Olive really want Ben and sick boy Cal back? I think not, they can stop pretending.  

The show hasn't touched on that aspect much after Cal's miraculous cure.  Maybe it was never an issue, but I would expect with both Ben and Grace focused on Cal's cancer, that Olive might have felt like she was an afterthought to her parents at times.  Maybe a part of her was glad Cal was gone, and maybe she didn't miss Ben so much because he was less interested in her than Cal, so maybe she'd feel really guilty now for having those thoughts and feelings. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, izabella said:
On October 26, 2018 at 9:43 PM, terxav said:

The show hasn't touched on that aspect much after Cal's miraculous cure.  Maybe it was never an issue, but I would expect with both Ben and Grace focused on Cal's cancer, that Olive might have felt like she was an afterthought to her parents at times.  Maybe a part of her was glad Cal was gone, and maybe she didn't miss Ben so much because he was less interested in her than Cal, so maybe she'd feel really guilty now for having those thoughts and feelings. 

In real life, I'm pretty sure most family members would react and feel as both of you have described, but I haven't seen any of these realistic reactions in the show — or am I forgetting?

• Love 2

The story of a passenger without a ticket is very sad. Indeed, our heroes supported each other at the moment when they learned the truth, but he was all alone. Now he will have to live in this terrible place ... But I think the special services will find him, follow the heroes and everything will end.

And the story with the family of the main character is already beginning to bother. I want to know more about the plane and what happened, and not to look at ordinary life.

Edited by Friendly kitty

1) Michaela and her voices continue to make me keep thinking of Wonderfalls (which I loved and have the boxed set of).

2) The insurance thing piqued me enough to expend the effort to do some googling. In the real world it looks like when someone is missing and declared dead the insurance company will pay out but you will have to pay it back plus interest if the “dead” person turns up alive. Alternatively, instead of taking the death benefit you can try to negotiate a settlement with the insurance company for less than face value in return for finality (part of the settlement agreement is that you don’t have to pay it back if the person shows up, which is why you’ll get less than face value).