Type keyword(s) to search

Magnum P.I. (2018) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

50 minutes ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Agreed.

Instead of only having to do it because Higgins wasn't around to handle it.

She was busy beating a Special Air Service veteran and making him run away from her.

• LOL 3

I enjoyed this episode.  It was nice that Magnum was on his own (old school) and was able to show his charm and skills.  It seems like with Magnum and Higgins are together, she shows off and he is just waiting. Liked that Rick, TC, and Shammy had a bit more focus on their stories. 

I'm all for the MI6 plot as long as it keeps Higgins in a separate sphere (I don't hate her or anything, but, the show is called Magnum after all and I like how Jay plays Magnum).

• Love 4
On 11/17/2021 at 11:07 AM, seacliffsal said:

I enjoyed this episode.  It was nice that Magnum was on his own (old school) and was able to show his charm and skills.  It seems like with Magnum and Higgins are together, she shows off and he is just waiting. Liked that Rick, TC, and Shammy had a bit more focus on their stories. 

This. This is what I want to watch weekly. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, preeya said:

WOW! That ending was really explosive.

Richard Masur: unfortunately he didn't age well. He's only 74; looked as if he was well into his eighties.

I thought he looked familiar.

The Albanians again. They seem to be this year's TV enemy ethnic group of choice.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, preeya said:

WOW! That ending was really explosive.

Richard Masur: unfortunately he didn't age well. He's only 74; looked as if he was well into his eighties.

I was confused at the end that it looked like the storyline was over with Magnum just hanging out, Rick having his own solution with his friend.  I knew something would happen but I wonder why they didn’t show more about Magnum and the agent, etc.

45 minutes ago, alexa said:

I was confused at the end that it looked like the storyline was over with Magnum just hanging out, Rick having his own solution with his friend.  I knew something would happen but I wonder why they didn’t show more about Magnum and the agent, etc.

Yeah, they left that hanging, although I'm leaning toward the agent being the "real" bad guy.

• Love 2

The minute Rick gave him that fake passport, I thought we'd be in for another round of, "Rick might go to jail," with the FB! breathing down his neck.

I was almost relieved when the guy's car blew up.

Edited by Sweet Tooth
  • Love 1

Yeah, blowing up the Porsche was the only way to keep Rick out of prison. Why were the words 'witness protection' never even mentioned in this episode. Sure, his buddy had no proof that he had killed the Fed in self-defense but the fact that the Albanian mafia was after him means that he's got pretty valuable info and therefore some leverage 🤷‍♂️

As much as I enjoyed Higgins and Katsumoto's reactions to Kumu's knowledge about E.D. meds I think there were more than enough jokes about geriatric sex in this episode.

Guess the days of Higgins secretly moonlighting for the MI6 are coming to an end.

• Love 1

S04 E07 • A New Lease on Death

OMG Rick, that’s so close and it’s too bad your Porsche had to go too‼️ Yupp, Agent Sloane is beyond shady. Thomas is damn right, TC is the best friend anyone could’ve asked for.

It’s enjoyable seeing Juliet and Kumu working together on a case. Great COTW with some emotional bits. Murdered by boner pills huh! We got to know some backstories re the ladies and their dads. And Kumu got herself a new boyfriend, yay! Whoever in charge of Juliet’s wardrobe must be fired. No improvement at all! 🤦🏻‍♀️

It’s funny to see Gordy cheerfully gloated to Lia because Thomas was coming to her for favors, only to have Juliet call him for a favor.

Between agent Helmet Hair and Thomas, apparently Lia has a type! 😂

Now I have to wait until Dec 3 to find out what the Albanian mobs gonna do to Rick. They must have assumed that Robbie told him everything. And Thomas is getting closer in finding out Juliet’s side business.

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
4 hours ago, MountaineerBro10 said:

Haha same here. Once he got into the  ice & expensive Ferrari I thought to myself “…it’s gonna blow up, isn’t it?” 😂

In retrospect, it also seems to be why Rick is driving a Ferrari, of all things, right? Dude has a barely surviving bar and he's driving a FERRARI? I know Rick is a bit...off in a lot of ways, but that's still really weird! But when you're recreating the famous Ferrari blowing up scene...well, you need a Ferrari for it. 😆

Edited by Brian Cronin

For the second week in a row we see Magnum blitzing any opposition. I guess with McGarrett retired Thomas is the baddest special operator on the island.

The plot of Rick taking the shortest sniper rifle in the world to get someone before he boarded a plane reminded me of legacy Magnum preparing to go rogue a kill a Vietnamese Colonel and stopping a prisoner exchange for a MIA aviator.

If Hawaii had Juliet's nemesis for murder and life imprisonment why extradite him to the UK?

1 hour ago, Raja said:

If Hawaii had Juliet's nemesis for murder and life imprisonment why extradite him to the UK?

He knows a lot of their secrets.   Would you want someone who knows where your bodies are buried halfway around the world in someone else's custody or tucked away in blacksite you control.  

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Maverick said:

He knows a lot of their secrets.   Would you want someone who knows where your bodies are buried halfway around the world in someone else's custody or tucked away in blacksite you control.  

Plus, I think treason trumps murder. 

On 12/5/2021 at 9:55 PM, SnazzyDaisy said:

S04•E08 - A Fire in the Ashes

Unspoken words…

Unexpressed feelings…

Ugh, this will they/won’t they nonsense has gotta stop!!! 😣🙄🤦🏻‍♀️

E2518FA9-397B-42AD-AE60-556BB5E8E093.jpeg

Oh come on. You know deep down, this is what you want to see 😜

image.thumb.jpeg.0bcdfeaf56e3b7a5d9a93d71ce953c76.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b846ddf527a4022d32cb4ed508bddce2.jpeg

• LOL 1
3 hours ago, MountaineerBro10 said:

Oh come on. You know deep down, this is what you want to see 😜

Nope. I’d prefer my two favorite characters (Thomas and TC) stay single, forever! And more shirtless scenes please… 😝

Btw, where did you get that first two pics?  They’re so cheesy! 😂

10 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Nope. I’d prefer my two favorite characters (Thomas and TC) stay single, forever! And more shirtless scenes please… 😝

Btw, where did you get that first two pics?  They’re so cheesy! 😂

Haha that’s right, I forgot TC & Magnum were officially your men. My bad 😂

Haha I found those two pics from Pinterest. Simply entered “Magnum kissing Higgins” and voila! 

Oh, and here ya go. These will do while CBS are working on those shirtless scenes lol

004F5DBD-0605-4004-A4B8-6EB30440D14D.jpeg

DF7A2F99-EBFB-4C17-A986-C27F1D61E47B.jpeg

And these lol

38AEFFC1-CE8B-4B54-9A9F-784D425BC941.jpeg

6C874905-FF44-4573-ABAC-94E508EC694A.png

• LOL 1

Episode was an ok Xmas episode, but let's call it what it was... yet more blatant Miggy anvils.

The main thrust of the episode was driving the necessary wedge between Magnum & Det. Kaleo.  I mean, in so many words, he told Higgins "I can't trust her, so she's gotta go.".  As if they needed to make it even more obvious, the ending of the episode had not just one, but two Miggy heart-eyes moments.   And then you add in the press relesase of the synopsis for the new episode on 1/7 ........

Can we just stop the stalling already?  Please??   We've all been Wile E Coyote'd to death with dodging the damned anvils out here in front of our TVs.

Kumu should look into expanding her social circle for better friends. Having to babysit a criminal - albeit a harmless petty one - on Christmas Eve, as your trying to prepare a big family meal, is just straight up doing a friend dirty.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Episode was an ok Xmas episode, but let's call it what it was... yet more blatant Miggy anvils.

The main thrust of the episode was driving the necessary wedge between Magnum & Det. Kaleo.  I mean, in so many words, he told Higgins "I can't trust her, so she's gotta go.".  As if they needed to make it even more obvious, the ending of the episode had not just one, but two Miggy heart-eyes moments.   And then you add in the press relesase of the synopsis for the new episode on 1/7 ........

Can we just stop the stalling already?  Please??   We've all been Wile E Coyote'd to death with dodging the damned anvils out here in front of our TVs.

Kumu should look into expanding her social circle for better friends. Having to babysit a criminal - albeit a harmless petty one - on Christmas Eve, as your trying to prepare a big family meal, is just straight up doing a friend dirty.

I haven’t watched it yet (I work 2nd shift Tues-Sat so I watch later on Paramount+), but it sounds like CBS is using the push-pull theory.

For example, Magnum & Higgins have their moment at the end of Season 2, yet she later falls for Ethan in Season 3 & Magnum doesn’t like it w/o realizing it. Then they start Season 4 with EXACTLY what we want (Magnum & Higgins getting it on 😍🙏…in a dream lol) & breaks up with Ethan yet Magnum is currently dating Kaleo (who I think is way more attractive than Higgy) yet they still have their moments together.

IMO, Magnum & Higgins will finally have their scene in Season finale. I guarantee it

• Love 1
21 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

I have good news for you.

They seem to be following the familiar pattern of the wt/wt playbook.

1. The show makes it obvious there's some attraction there.

2. The show flirts with it. Other people notice. Encourage it. 

3. The characters themselves come just shy of admitting it.

4. Just when you think it's about to happen, they find a significant other. 

5. That relationship lasts until they either realize their feelings for each other are stronger than for the one they're with, the one they're with realizes they can't compete, or the show finds a way for the couples to break up.

And so, I agree this will be in the season finale:

15 hours ago, MountaineerBro10 said:

IMO, Magnum & Higgins will finally have their scene in Season finale. I guarantee it

• Love 1

S04•E09 - Better Watch Out

I like this episode except for Miggy’s numerous eye f*ck.🙄

Interesting COTW with nice backstory and character development for Lia. It is quite hypocrite and self-righteous of Thomas to be saying this about Lia; “You think you know somebody but then you find out it’s not the case”. From what we know, their relationship is more sexual and transactional. Have they shared all their skeletons with each other yet? Don’t think so. Is Thomas trying to get out of their relationship so soon? Thomas/Lia’s first crack ☑️

Wow, can Juliet be any louder? 🤦🏻‍♀️

“She doesn’t know what she’s missing, Magnum.”

“Reality’s just too complicated.”

Either the inevitable Miggy is coming sooner than I expected (yuck!) or TPTB craves for weekly #Miggy trending.

When Cade was introduced, I thought he’s gonna be an obnoxious, problematic young man but he isn’t (yet). I like him, a nice addition to their Ohana.

And I like Barry too. He’s not as annoying as Jin. It’s so sweet of Kumu to help Barry getting the PS5 that he wants for his kid.

TC looks so huggable in that robe! 😍

Gordie is terrified of Higgy pudding! 🤣

63490C21-6BC3-4685-A278-74196447976D.jpeg

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, Sweet Tooth said:

I have good news for you.

They seem to be following the familiar pattern of the wt/wt playbook.

1. The show makes it obvious there's some attraction there.

2. The show flirts with it. Other people notice. Encourage it. 

3. The characters themselves come just shy of admitting it.

4. Just when you think it's about to happen, they find a significant other. 

5. That relationship lasts until they either realize their feelings for each other are stronger than for the one they're with, the one they're with realizes they can't compete, or the show finds a way for the couples to break up.

And so, I agree this will be in the season finale:

God, I frigging hope so. 

They've only went out of their way to highlight the eventual 'ship since all the way back in the middle of S1.

• LOL 1

Okay, I just LOVED that after Magnum nailed Barry he turned to little miss "there's no such thing as a naughty list" and told her "see, I told you there was a naughty list..."  Made my day quite frankly.  Oh, and I really liked Higgins and Magnum in their holiday get-ups (and when Magnum changed clothes, I really like the Christmas colored tropical shirt).

Overall, really enjoyed the episode.  I think there will be fallout for Lia within the department as that was a pretty big secret to keep (about her father).  Glad the Magnum "family: unit is growing, but like an above poster, think they should have had Shammy there.

• Love 1

Get ready for the March episode of Magnum P.I. where Levy Tran will guest star. As a star of the hit series MacGyver, she played Desi Nguyen, an U.S. Army Ranger tasked as a bodyguard who dated The Phoenix Foundation's handyman.

LEVY-TRAN.jpg

Levy Tran will play Tia Min, the formidable bodyguard of a powerful crime lord. While loyal to her boss, she has her own code of ethics. Tia Min is willing to work with Magnum so long as his interests align with her employer. 

Levy Tran is trained in eskrima, muay thai, boxing, silat and jiu jitsu.

Magnum P.I. resumes its fourth season on Friday, Jan. 7 with the episode “Dream Lover,” in which a woman hires Magnum and Higgins to locate a man she met briefly at a coffee shop and felt a spark with. Oh, and Higgins keeps a secret after she has a romantic dream about Magnum.

So a bodyguard from a teased shared fictional universe show will play a bodyguard? While JAG, to NCIS, to Hawaii 5-0, to McGyver, to Magnum didn't protect their connection like the MCU it makes you wonder. The ethics of the bodyguard might just be an undercover agent being only able to go so far.

Don't you just love it when the main thrust of an episode is completely centered around the Miggy WT/WT?  I mean, I sure as hell don't mean to make light of cancer and its sufferers, but when you focus on the endgame subplot early on and then a few minutes later have the client double-down on that exact same point, in an indirect way, to enforce the message??  I about fractured my skull because I facepalmed so hard.  And they didn't take long to sideline Lia completely [not listed in the cast list for next episode, either].

The synopsis for next week's episode says Jin will be back, but why do they need a character like Jin when Rick is virtually the same character (at least) a few times per season already?  IE, a character who provides slapstick-like comedy while tackling the episode's B-plot.  The B-plot in this episode is a prime example of what I'm talking about.

And we all know that even though Magnum was on his way to pay off his tab at La Mariana, they'll be bagging on him in the next episode or two about how his tab has started to pile up again - or how he owes money to TC or someone else - or some other way about how he's just a mooch.

13 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

The synopsis for next week's episode says Jin will be back, but why do they need a character like Jin when Rick is virtually the same character (at least) a few times per season already?

I absolutely despise the Jin character. I know he's supposed to bring a comedic view to an episode, but I personally can do without his idiotic hi-jinks.  

• Love 3

Instead of Miggy (ughh), I’d rather have Brooke Nevin as Magnum’s next love interest, they’ll make a cute couple.

Not looking forward to next episode, Jin is F annoying, just kill him please! Ugh. I wish we could see more Cade than Jin.

Levy Tran? Ughhh 😣

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Levy Tran? Ughhh 😣

Get your extreme heat retardant suits ready, because if they have her stick around for more episodes than just the one hinted at - and have her be a PLI for Magnum - I am going nuclear.  The very last thing this show needs is another meaningless Miggy endgame roadbump in the form of another directionless LI for one of them.

(sorry, but the way that MacGyver's writers portrayed the constantly on-then off-then on-then off Mac/Desi relationship is still making me gag in annoyance to think about)

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

Those morons didn't have a laptop in the car to check the SD card?

The Tommyverse NCIS: Hawai'i just had an episode where their tech guy was surprised that he was brought any physical storage media. But he was prepared even if she showed up with a Betamax tape.

My point of "irkness" for this episode is that they just took Emily's word for everything that happened when she met Mikal and didn't check her out at all.  What if she was an assassin or a kidnapper (etc.) and that they would be helping her commit a crime?  What happened to one's right to privacy in that if he had wanted to see her again he would have asked for her contact?  What if she was a stalker?  Nope.  They just took her word for everything and were going to help her find him.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

My point of "irkness" for this episode is that they just took Emily's word for everything that happened when she met Mikal and didn't check her out at all.  What if she was an assassin or a kidnapper (etc.) and that they would be helping her commit a crime?  What happened to one's right to privacy in that if he had wanted to see her again he would have asked for her contact?  What if she was a stalker?  Nope.  They just took her word for everything and were going to help her find him.

I didn't really stop to think about this, but you're totally right.

Especially after how Higgins ended up being shot because of the events started by she and Magnum buying the story their 'client' gave them about looking for her long lost brother, when in reality she was part of a 2-person hit team looking to whack the guy they had Magnum and Higgins track down for them - referring to last season's premiere, of course.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

This makes me think of the Woman Who Never Died (S1E3) where a guy hired Magnum to figure out why his comatose fiancée had had extensive plastic surgery. Of course, everything turned out ok in the end but the client had no right to any of the information unless the woman chose to explain. And I can think of several reasons she would have wanted that kept secret (one of which played out in the episode but no one pointed out it was Magnum and the guy's fault).

I really enjoyed this episode (except for the ending-we do NOT need an infant on this show as it would totally change all of the dynamics).  I also understood why Jin was in this episode (to get someone into the vet office) and thought he wasn't as irritating as I normally find him.  

• Love 2

S04•E11 - If I Should Die Before I Wake

TC: “Question?”

Jin: “Yes, the good-looking investor in the front row.”

For the first time, I agree with Jin! 😘

—————————————————————
Rick: "I want her to be happy."

TC: "I‘m sure you do and that‘s great. But it‘s ok to let her know where you stand instead of just waiting to see where she does."

TC should give the same advice to Thomas… 😆

Err how long has it been since Suzy left? Why is she telling Rick now? I guess they will have a baby boy, Rick will name him Robbie. And Miggy will be his godparents! 🙄

Not a bad episode - surprising since it involved Jin - but mostly because most of the run time wasn't yet another heavy-handed advertisement of the Miggy endgame.

Bit too convenient how the people Magnum & Higgins were after were at the same vet clinic that Jin took the lads to, but hey, its a TV show.

And classic Jin, starting a dog walking business to fleece money from suckers, but doesn't know dogs shouldn't have chocolate.  And seriously Higgy, you trust Jin with the lads?  I thought you loved them??  

Also, Jin told Kumu he got the energy bars from Magnum's fridge... so does that mean that Jin has free unfettered access to anywhere he pleases at Robin's Nest?   That's asking for trouble.

@SnazzyDaisy, you said Miggy will be named the godparents of Rick and Suzy's baby, but don't forget about TC.  He'll be the other godfather.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 1

I loved Katsumoto tricking Magnum and Higgins!

Bit convenient that nobody ever asked about the money and the cops on site just ignored Magnum who wasn't exactly doing a stellar job hiding *handwaving*

I don't mind Jing and he was useful - as for the coincidence of him being at the vet clinic the perps showed up *more handwaving*

Rick becoming a father would be a nice change of pace for this show that likes to keep everyone single and/or in an endless loop of will they/won't they. But I'm not holding my breath. Rick's been the writer's room punching bag for emotional drama for quite a while now.

• Love 1