Type keyword(s) to search

S37: Gabby Pascuzzi

Netta Leven
  • Start Topic

Hi.  I'm into cooking shows despite not cooking at all and probably think too much before doing things.

Overthinking might prove her undoing in this game, though if she's like Aubry (of whom she's a fan), she might get a ways into the game.  But predicting the nerdy girls' game longevity is a lot iffier than predicting the nerdy guys' game longevity.

• Love 1

I'm cautiously optimistic about her.  I was/am afraid she might be a tad wishy-washy and let her emotions run the game, but it's still so early.  I hope going to a TC, having the vote go in her favor, and getting that out of the way will boost her confidence.  I think she's got a gamer in there!  I do like how she recognized if Lyrsa left that might put a target on her for being weak.

Two favorite moments from episode 2:

Elizabeth going to talk to her about the vote, saying she didn't want to vote Lyrsa, and Gabby automatically assuming it was her that Elizabeth wanted gone.  This is where I hope she can get a confidence boost and prove why she deserves to stay.

The other moment was her and Christian on the beach.  "Do you want to play with me?"

"In the sand?"

Have we ever had an awkward nerd showmance on any of these shows?  I'd love something different than the hot guy and hot girl hooking up.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

Have we ever had an awkward nerd showmance on any of these shows?  I'd love something different than the hot guy and hot girl hooking up.

Coach and Jerri in HvV!! One of my favorite things about that season!! Not sure if it counts as a full-blow showmance, but Coach was definitely smitten, and it made me love him a little that season.

• Love 3

I hope she turns her personality around from her last episode cuz I hate widdle girls who look up while looking down with big eyes and ask the big strong wolf to take care of widdle them. 

Even on a lesser scale, I hate women who get carried along just because they are likeable and need someone to carry them and being liked people do.  Its a competition.  I can see where I might like her as a friend.  And as a friend I wouldn't hesitate to carry her when necessary.  But its a competition, its survivor.  Being helpless has got to be my least favorite "strategy".

• Love 2
On 10/4/2018 at 2:21 AM, RescueMom said:

Coach and Jerri in HvV!! One of my favorite things about that season!! Not sure if it counts as a full-blow showmance, but Coach was definitely smitten, and it made me love him a little that season.

I would like to see Coach's reaction to being called a nerd. He is Alpha Male Prime! He is the Dragonslayer! Something something about his ass and cannibals along the Amazon!

• Love 6

She really does remind of Aubry. She is so smart. I thought it was a good mid season interview. It's more in real time (after the fact) and, not revisionist history like when they do their exit press.

• Love 2

The interview helped me understand Gabby - and Gabby's crying a bit better. I do like how she compared herself and Carl by saying they are both emotional players but showed it differently.  I agree with that.

Still, while letting emotions out is healthy, crying is at best a physical outlet and does little to help resolve the emotional conflict that led to it in the first place. All it does is make one feel better during the moment.   

And, constant crying and bottling are both off-putting.  They just end up pushing others away because they don't know how to deal with it or don't want to spend their time dealing with it.  I would not want to spend my time consoling Gabby as often as Christian did.    It seems a little selfish of Gabby...as if it's her indirect way of getting support and empathy - which I would argue is not a healthy way to get either most times.

It also hurt her gameplay.  It sealed Gabby's low position on the David's.  I don't think it had anything to do with her being a woman or a young person.  They just didn't know what to think of her or how to communicate with her.

I do, however, respect her other gameplay a TON.  She was there to play and she did.  I think her logic was sound in getting out Carl. Not everyone in life clicks and I'm not sure how much she could have made her position stronger on the Davids for this reason.  But she also did herself no favors by crying and whining.  

At the end of the day, I feel Gabby is responsible for Gabby's low-man position on the David tribe to a large degree.  This may be an unpopular opinion, but I'm sticking to it.

On the plus side, I was really impressed by how Gabby was cognizant of perception in her gameplay...at least where blindsides were concerned (she clearly missed the memo where crying is concerned, unfortunately).  She got people out at times that she knew she would get credit for the move.  She really is playing the game and I do think she played it well - other than the crying.  I think she did a disservice to herself with that because it didn't work in her favor at all other than to get Christian as her protector.  I guess that's a big thing, but it won't get her to the end.  And if it did, she'd never win against her protector.

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, ByaNose said:

She really does remind of Aubry. She is so smart.

That was a really interesting interview. I wish we were seeing that kind of clarity and cogent explanation from her on the show. That's where she either differs from Aubry or is getting a worse edit than Aubry, we haven't gotten any confessionals from Gabby where she really lays any of this out in the way she did in the interview. 

Most of the footage we've gotten of Gabby so far is fairly negative, it's either the crying, the whining about being left out/on the bottom, or sudden bursts of anger that seem like they will overwhelm her sense of reason. It was so interesting to read her take on why they waited on the Carl vote, because her response to Carl on the show seemed so emotional that I figured she'd gun for him no matter what. 

I don't know if she gets to the end or not, but I'd say she's gotten FAR from a winner's edit and based solely on what we've seen so far, I question her ability to make a case for herself at a final tribal. 

I thought it was a good mid season interview. It's more in real time (after the fact) and, not revisionist history like when they do their exit press.

I don't know about that, she's already had the chance to watch herself on the episodes that have aired, see the response to those episodes on social media, and she's had months to reflect on her time, so revisionist history is certainly possible, and probable in this case. She seems to have a rebuttal/rationale for everything that she's been criticized for thus far.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

That was a really interesting interview. I wish we were seeing that kind of clarity and cogent explanation from her on the show. That's where she either differs from Aubry or is getting a worse edit than Aubry, we haven't gotten any confessionals from Gabby where she really lays any of this out in the way she did in the interview. 

Most of the footage we've gotten of Gabby so far is fairly negative, it's either the crying, the whining about being left out/on the bottom, or sudden bursts of anger that seem like they will overwhelm her sense of reason. It was so interesting to read her take on why they waited on the Carl vote, because her response to Carl on the show seemed so emotional that I figured she'd gun for him no matter what. 

I don't know if she gets to the end or not, but I'd say she's gotten FAR from a winner's edit and based solely on what we've seen so far, I question her ability to make a case for herself at a final tribal. 

I don't know about that, she's already had the chance to watch herself on the episodes that have aired, see the response to those episodes on social media, and she's had months to reflect on her time, so revisionist history is certainly possible, and probable in this case. She seems to have a rebuttal/rationale for everything that she's been criticized for thus far.

Point well taken. I guess anything after the fact can be revisionist history. 

17 hours ago, cherrypj said:

I love this quote: "When you point your finger, there are three fingers pointing back at you." 

Thank you for posting that interview. It was great. I keep feeling mystified how so many people here find all these great forums and I never do.

Could you please tell us how you found that interview? More to the point, can you advise me how I can find those kinds of interviews. I asked someone else who told me to check the CBS site. I will add the Hollywood Reporter site now. But adding one site at a time seems like such a slow process.

There are really only a handful of people to follow if you want Survivor journalism. Josh Wigler at The Hollywood Reporter, Mike Bloom at Parade, Dalton Ross at Entertainment Weekly, and.... at least one more I'm blanking on.  But those guys should give you plenty to read.

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, phlebas said:

There are really only a handful of people to follow if you want Survivor journalism. Josh Wigler at The Hollywood Reporter, Mike Bloom at Parade, Dalton Ross at Entertainment Weekly, and.... at least one more I'm blanking on.  But those guys should give you plenty to read.

Gordon Holmes.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, phlebas said:

I know not everyone enjoyed Gabby's play but I thought she was cute AF head to toe and I'm gonna miss her :(

Then you'll probably like her in sunglasses:

Gabby Sunglasses.jpg

• Love 1

Dalton at EW on Gabby, page two*:

The same Gabby who almost forced the contestants to be evacuated for a second time this season because of camp flooding due to all her excessive crying. 

and also this:

And because Mike then came out with the deliciously dastardly plan to put votes on Gabby in case Christian played his idol, Gabby ended up going home.

On one hand, that sucks for her. On the other, can you think of a better way to go? She did not sit back and wait to be betrayed by others, which no doubt would have led to more tears. Instead, she did the betraying. Rather than be a passenger, she became the driver. Now, make no mistake, she drove the car off the road, causing it to explode, become engulfed in flames, and fly off a cliff where it exploded again upon impact below. BUT AT LEAST SHE WAS DRIVING THE DAMN CAR! 

*His reviews are starting to read like Jacob's on the old TWoP, though, especially this page. WTH!

• Love 2

Now, make no mistake, she drove the car off the road, causing it to explode, become engulfed in flames, and fly off a cliff where it exploded again upon impact below. BUT AT LEAST SHE WAS DRIVING THE DAMN CAR! 

I know what he means, but this the most in-apt metaphor ever.  She should be proud for being the cause a massive accident that took herself out rather than being a passenger and getting somewhere safely? 

21 minutes ago, Special K said:

She should be proud for being the cause a massive accident that took herself out rather than being a passenger and getting somewhere safely? 

To be fair, the driver gets a head start when they arrive safely at their destination.  But it's kind of foolish to think that going down in flames is preferable to having a fighting chance at the end.

• Love 1
On 12/6/2018 at 10:02 PM, violet and green said:

Dalton at EW on Gabby, page two*:

and also this:

*His reviews are starting to read like Jacob's on the old TWoP, though, especially this page. WTH!

I want to make it real clear that I know Violet and Green did not write those wise ass comments about Gabby. They were written by Dalton at EW.

I was going to chastise Dalton at EW for making an unprofessional and unfair review about Gabby. 

But then I realized the truth was that I am just crying "Sour Grapes" cuz she's gone. I haven't posted anything about the way she was voted off anywhere and after I have gushed and fawned over Gabby all season long, I think it's only fair for me to show my face and admit the truth - which is that I am stuffing myself full of sour grapes.

So you all can feel free to have a laugh at my expense with all my fawning and gushing and silly predictions.

Edited by MisterBluxom

I think that goes to show how great the editing has been this season.  If I were Gabby, I would have every reason to expect I'm getting the Purple Chelsea kind of edit.  Totally invisible until the episode where I make my move and go home for it and everyone on the internet is super snotty about how I was playing too hard and it was too little too late and maybe I should have done something for the first thirty days of the season and I was a waste of a spot blah blah blah.  Instead we got a full, rounded picture of Gabby, so much that she seemed like a very credible winner pick for a long time.  More like this, editors!

• Love 5

I like Gabby (and Gabby and Christian together), but I really did not care for the constant crying and emotional outbursts.  Her social media posts tell a different story.  She's super funny, high energy, and doesn't appear to take criticisms personally.

I think here crying and emotional outbursts are ways to get attention and manipulate others and that she needs to explore that, but I really do appreciate the other side of her that we didn't always see.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

It's ridiculous to criticize Gabby's move even though it got her voted out?  

I personally think it's utterly ridiculous to think Gabby should have stayed in an alliance that blatantly showed her she was not really part of it over and over again. This place usually hates people who do that.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I personally think it's utterly ridiculous to think Gabby should have stayed in an alliance that blatantly showed her she was not really part of it over and over again. This place usually hates people who do that.

I don't think anyone thinks she should have just been content to stay at the bottom of a 6 person alliance until she got voted of at 6.  But, she had a lot of better options than her suicide pact with Christian.   

As you get closer to the end of the game, players almost always change their ideas of who they want to take to FTC with them.  Christian was ostensibly ahead of her in the alliance, but nobody would want to take him to FTC.  I think, Nick, Carl and Davie would also prefer not to take either of the other 2 with them.   The most logical move for all the remaining players would be to try to go to FTC with some combination of Gabby, Angelina and Kara.  Gabby's best chance would probably be to have a Final 4 of those 3 plus one stronger player and have the stronger player lose the immunity challenge and fire building.  I think Gabby could have beaten Kara and Angelina, and they were probably the ONLY two she could beat.  

Going after Carl when she did, was just foolish.  It was the point that would bring the maximum backlash, as the Davids had just worked so hard to get the edge in numbers.  Plus, Carl would likely have worn out his welcome as "Godfather", very soon, making it possible to build a consensus among the Davids to vote him off.   Even if she blindsided Carl the next week, the backlash would have been much less, as the Davids would still have the numbers.   That might have actually been a resume building "big move" that players would respect.   

• Love 5
22 hours ago, phlebas said:

Gabby and I are going to be at the same conference in May.  If anyone has any questions, I might have an opportunity to talk to her.

I'd love to know who she is closest to  post-show.  

If you get to visit with her, I hope you drop us a bone and share your experiences when done!

I'm also curious what conference it is.  Is it for technical writers?

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, Jextella said:

I'd love to know who she is closest to  post-show.  

If you get to visit with her, I hope you drop us a bone and share your experiences when done!

I'm also curious what conference it is.  Is it for technical writers?

Yeah, the Society for Technical Communication annual conference. In Denver this year.

https://summit.stc.org/conference/honors-event/

If I actually get a chance to talk to her for a bit, I'll remember your questions and report back on what I can. If I talk to her for more than 10 seconds, she will have beaten my previous record with a Survivor (sorry Yau-Man)

Edited by phlebas
typo
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, phlebas said:

Yeah, the Society for Technical Communication annual conference. In Denver this year.

If I actually get a chance to talk to her for a bit, I'll remember your questions and report back on what I can. If I talk to her for more than 10 seconds, she will have beaten my previous record with a Survivor (sorry Yau-Man)

What did Yau-Man say in those 10 seconds?  "I found a lemon tree!" :)

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

What did Yau-Man say in those 10 seconds?  "I found a lemon tree!" :)

"Have you seen my car?" :)

It was very quick with the Y-Mizzle. I turned to see him standing behind me.  Quickly shook his hand, told him I enjoyed both his seasons, asked him if he enjoyed being out there, andtold him I hope he went back out there someday.  But this was like 10 years ago.

He was very friendly :)

• Love 2
On 3/21/2019 at 1:15 PM, LadyChatts said:

So now along with the Sia prize castaways can battle for free ice cream.

For unlimited chocolate ice cream?

Hell, I’d kill for that.

Edited by Nashville
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 11:15 AM, LadyChatts said:

So now along with the Sia prize castaways can battle for free ice cream.

I think the Reunion could only be improved by devoting it entirely to giving out silly awards to all the non-winners, like "Cried the Most", "Kind to Animals", "Least Likely to Find an Idol", etc.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
On 1/11/2019 at 12:30 PM, phlebas said:

This happened last night. Gabby talked on stage about her Survivor experience and the ways her tech comm background helped. 

Got to talk briefly with her after. She's really friendly and very funny. And since my real name is Christian, we got some mileage out of that. 

She didn't cry even once!

• LOL 3
  • Love 2