Type keyword(s) to search

LSSC: Season Four Episode Talk

• Start Topic

Definitely. It's tough when he's away and all this big news breaks, 'cause I want to hear his take on it all and I can't!

I liked the "Meanwhile" segment tonight. And I got a really good laugh out of the whole thing from last night's show where he was poking a bit of fun at Bernie Sanders for sounding all "Back in my day...!". 

Also, I've never seen "Game of Thrones", but this interview with Kit Harrington is quite entertaining. 

• Love 5

Exactly. The point is to further mock what a jackass he is.

I can't watch Alec Baldwin's impression because it's too close to the real person, and I hate the real person. I also hate Alec Baldwin, so there's that.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
On 3/6/2019 at 12:12 AM, Annber03 said:

this interview with Kit Harrington is quite entertaining.

I found it so also. Plus I loved how Colbert predicted that his character will have a son Tony who becomes Iron Man.🤣

• Love 5

Gosh, between Gayle King promoting her interview of R. Kelly, and Pamela Adlon, tonight's show is like A Very Special Episode of The Late Show: Men Who Behave Badly and the Women Who Are There for the Fallout 😝

• Love 3
(edited)

Wait just a damn minute - R. Kelly lives in Trump Tower in Chicago? I hear this isn’t news, especially to people who live in Chicago, but it’s news to me. Just... lmao. I’ve got nothing. 🤦🏽‍♀️😂 Anyway...

I’m glad Gayle was able to laugh off the fact that one of the Fox News anchors mistook her for Robin Roberts, but this isn’t the first time they’ve made such a gaffe. 

Edited by Alexis2291
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, Alexis2291 said:

I’m glad Gayle was able to laugh off the fact that one of the Fox News anchors mistook her for Robin Roberts, but this isn’t the first time they’ve made such a gaffe. 

They have completely different body types and hairstyles! And, you know, faces.

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

If I am LOLing at 9 word play jokes about massage parlors, does that make me a terrible person?

If it does, then I guess I'm equally as terrible :D. 

I loved the "deflated balls" joke. 

(On a different note, Tucker Carlson can go fuck himself.)

Edited by Annber03
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9

Stephen and Jimmy Kimmel made a nearly identical joke about Mitt Romney blowing out the candles on his twinkie bday cake one by one - he's white on the inside, lol.

No biggie though. I know a lot of the late night hosts share writers, it's just something I noticed as I was flipping back and forth between the two. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Alexis2291 said:

Stephen and Jimmy Kimmel made a nearly identical joke about Mitt Romney blowing out the candles on his twinkie bday cake one by one - he's white on the inside, lol.

No biggie though. I know a lot of the late night hosts share writers, it's just something I noticed as I was flipping back and forth between the two. 

Trevor Noah had that exact joke as well. I guess it was irresistible.

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, opus said:

I don’t see it as sharing writers, but that as sometimes there’s a very obvious joke.

Maybe. Aren't all 3 shows NYC based? Maybe the writers hang out at the same places. Maybe some unknown stand up comedian dropped the joke earlier that day. Or maybe they drink together. Or maybe they all read the same online blogs.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Maybe. Aren't all 3 shows NYC based? Maybe the writers hang out at the same places. Maybe some unknown stand up comedian dropped the joke earlier that day. Or maybe they drink together. Or maybe they all read the same online blogs.

Kimmel is LA.

While we’re on the topic, here’s a Vulture piece on how five late night shows told basically the same joke on the same night (Colbert was one of them)

https://www.vulture.com/2018/03/5-late-night-hosts-told-the-same-stormy-daniels-trump-joke.html

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Alexis2291 said:

I don't think they share writers but some jokes are obvious.  Jay Leno on the View today talked about how white Mit is etc.  

My mother was a comedy writer for Phyllis Diller and she could work for others and did but she could not sell a joke Phyllis bought.  

Edited by Bucket
  • Useful 3
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, opus said:

I don’t see it as sharing writers, but that as sometimes there’s a very obvious joke.

I read in an article somewhere that they sometimes share writers/ideas/jokes. It’s an obvious joke, true, but like I said it’s not a big deal and as far as I know, rarely if ever happens. It was just something I noticed while flipping channels. 

Edited by Alexis2291
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, AnimeMania said:

Wasn't Idris Elba supposed to be on Monday's show, anyone know what happened?

He was listed as a guest on The View this week too and ended up not being on.

• Love 1

I am certainly no comedy writer, and wonder how stressful it must be to be FUNNY on command, but I swear to Avis that when I saw that Mitt clip the first time, I was slack-jawed for a moment, and then thought - and it's even whiter on the inside! I have to think that sometimes the low-hanging fruit is just so damn ripe.

I kind of want to see Cory Booker and Ian McShane have a conversation. Between the former's breathless earnestness and the latter's slurry but adorable accent, it would be spectacularly impossible to understand.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Laura Benanti is always great as Melania, but the addition of Christine Baranski was genius.

It was, but why did they have to spoil their own surprise, first by announcing them both as special guests, and then putting "The Two Melania Trumps" in the bump to commercial???

The show also made painfully obvious for anyone who didn't already know, that Friday shows are taped earlier in the week.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, ABay said:

They ran a screen announcing that the show was recorded before the events in Christchurch, New Zealand. Is that what you mean?

Yes, and the fact that Christine Baranski had been a guest on Thursday.  She wouldn't have come back on Friday to do the bit.

And the monologue is always generic on Friday, not reflecting the events of the day, and sometimes out of sync with the events of the day.  I'd almost rather they run some other regular programming if Stephen doesn't want to work on Friday.  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, meowmommy said:

And the monologue is always generic on Friday, not reflecting the events of the day, and sometimes out of sync with the events of the day.  I'd almost rather they run some other regular

I kind of agree with this. I mean I understand, he’s only human and needs a break, too but I typically just catch the Friday clips on YouTube instead of watching it at 11:35 like I do on the other days of the week. 

• Love 2

I don't remember such a time when news happens daily like this making vacationing talk show repeats a dumb idea.  Play an old classic rather than a recent show. 

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, Bucket said:

I don't remember such a time when news happens daily like this making vacationing talk show repeats a dumb idea.  Play an old classic rather than a recent show. 

Hey, how about Letterman repeats?  😃

• Love 2

When I first read the headlines about Devin Nunes suing Twitter for allowing accounts like @DevinCow and @DevinNunesMom to insult him, I really thought it was a joke. I feel bad for The Onion because how can they compete with the level of crazy we see in the headlines these days?

When Colbert read how ridiculous those Twitter handles sound in the official lawsuit, I was cracking up. The cow account now has 400k plus followers last time I checked, which is more than Devin Nunes' account - hilarious!

• LOL 2
  • Love 7

I haven't watched all of Monday night's show, though I saw the monologue, nor have I yet seen last night's show, but it doesn't seem that Stephen is going to address the college admissions scandal. Maybe because Felicity Huffman and William H. Macy (who wasn't charged, for some unknown reason) are "friends of the show"...?

5 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

I haven't watched all of Monday night's show, though I saw the monologue, nor have I yet seen last night's show, but it doesn't seem that Stephen is going to address the college admissions scandal. Maybe because Felicity Huffman and William H. Macy (who wasn't charged, for some unknown reason) are "friends of the show"...?

He did address it last week.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

Well, damn. Now I remember it. I have egg on my face.

No worries! The news cycle changes so much from day to day, sometimes it’s hard to keep up. I can’t imagine what it’s like for Colbert to cram everything into an hour-ish long show.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Arcey said:

Why wasn't there a show last night (Thursday?)

Due to the college basketball games lasting so long I'm guessing. New episodes will be Monday through Wednesday next week too for the same reason it looks like.

Edited by Jaded
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Thank you, Stephen (and Stephen's writers), for giving me an analogy (the dissatisfaction with the ending of Lost) for the event of the day. I'd been trying in vain to think of a workable analogy myself. The Lost analogy rang true for me as intended and in another way because, unlike most, I kind of liked the Lost finale's final shot, because I could see more being revealed in the afterlife of the characters.

The cookie dough analogy was a good fit too, but not as appetizing. Heh.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

Agreed. I've never seen "Lost", but from what I know about the show and the controversy over the finale and everything, it's very apt indeed. 

12 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

The Lost analogy rang true for me as intended and in another way because, unlike most, I kind of liked the Lost finale's final shot, because I could see more being revealed in the afterlife of the characters.

I loved when Stephen pulled up that board listing all the other investigations still ongoing. Yeah. We're not even close to being done with all this craziness yet, so I hope people keep that in mind going forward, too. 

• Love 5