Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Speculations

Klapaucius
  • Start Topic

Season 2 Synopsis

Season two finds star resident Dr. Conrad Hawkins continuing to make difficult calls in the best interests of his patients. But, having rekindled a romantic relationship with nurse Nicolette “Nic” Nevins, the two now must face unresolved issues from their past. Conrad’s father, Marshall Winthrop (Glenn Morshower), has taken over as head of Chastain, and comes into direct conflict with the hospital’s newly minted CEO, Dr. Randolph Bell. Meanwhile, De. Mina Okafor continues to work with her larger-than-life mentor, Dr. AJ Austin (Malcolm-Jamal Warner). However, the skills of new ortho surgeon Dr. Kitt Voss (Jane Leeves) could lead Mina on a different path. First-year resident Dr. Devon Pravesh becomes intrigued by new medical device rep Julian Booth (guest star Jenna Dewan), whose presence at the hospital will upend business as usual for everyone there

https://www.tvwise.co.uk/2018/08/universal-tv-sets-uk-premiere-date-for-the-resident-season-2/

About Jenna Dewan's character

If you’re worried that the new character played by Jenna Dewan will rock Conrad and Nic’s rekindled relationship, don’t be. According to exec producer Todd Harthan, Fox’s hospital drama is “actually going in a different direction” with Dewan’s medical device rep, who will recur throughout Season 2. “She does have a strong soap storyline, and she has a strong professional storyline,” Harthan shares. “But it is not going to be the wrench thrown into our Conrad and Nic relationship.”

https://tvline.com/2018/08/29/empire-season-5-spoilers-time-jump/

About Conrad and Nic

The Resident RecapQuestion: Got any spoilers you can share about The Resident‘s Conrad and Nic? —Jennifer
Ausiello: Season 2 picks up one full week into the former lovers’ rekindled romance “and we get to see the good and bad,” star Matt Czuchry previews. “We’ll find out what broke them up [initially], and that reveals certain things about Conrad and about Nic. They’re giving it a go, but it’s a bit of a rocky road because of their past.”

https://tvline.com/2018/08/07/greys-anatomy-teddy-owen-baby-spoilers-season-15/

With so many incoming faces you might wonder where that leaves some of the show’s romantic entanglements in season two, and in particular the blossoming relationship between Hawkins and Nic Nevin (Emily VanCamp). Not to worry, says Czuchry, who has experience teasing fandoms on his particular love storylines. When things pick up we’ll see the pair “in a new light” given their rekindled relationship, and that includes flashbacks to when they first met and how they deal with balancing work and love in the present day

https://www.ctv.ca/The-Resident/Articles/News/Matt-Czuchry

About Conrad, his dad and Dr. Bell

“Conrad and his father, along with Dr. Bell, those three character right there influence each other in terms of a power struggle,” Czuchry tells CTV.ca. “And also in terms of money over patients or patients over money, which is kind of a theme in this show. That’s definitely highlighted by those three characters over the season.”....
“What’s nice about this is you’re going to see more of that father-son relationship and see what makes each one tick and how it’s connected to the hospital,” Czuchry teases. “Like the power versus the patients, and the money and the corruption money can have in hospitals, which again is a theme of the show. That relationship highlights that in season two.”

https://www.ctv.ca/The-Resident/Articles/News/Matt-Czuchry

About Dr. Lane

Question: Have we seen the last of Melina Kanakaredes’ evil MD on The Resident? I hope not. I hate her but I kinda like her, too. —Kevin
Ausiello: The now-disgraced and incarcerated oncologist will, in fact, appear in the Sept. 18 premiere — presumably rotting away in prison. “I don’t know if she’s rotting,” EP Todd Harthan hedges. “But I can say that [Bruce Greenwood’s Dr. Bell] has a moment with her. You definitely have not seen the last of her.”

https://tvline.com/2018/08/07/greys-anatomy-teddy-owen-baby-spoilers-season-15/

Apparently someone is going to die in Season 2

I’d love a Season 2 scoop on The Resident, preferably Conrad/Nic-related. —Colleen
Well, this major spoiler could be about one of them — but I really hope it’s not, seeing as the Fox sophomore is gearing up to kill off what sounds like a major character. “We really want people to get attached to all of these characters this season,” EP Todd Harthan tells TVLine, before cryptically adding, “because… not everyone survives Season 2.”

https://tvline.com/2018/08/14/ncis-los-angeles-season-10-spoilers-deeks-dead-or-alive/

Harthan first alluded to the death earlier this month, when he cryptically hoped for viewers “to get attached to all of these characters this season, because… not everyone survives Season 2.”

Pressed for details in a subsequent interview — tied to our forthcoming Fall TV Preview — Harthan tells TVLine it will be “a bit of a guessing game” as to which sophomore-year character could potentially leave the show — and there will be more than one possibility.

“What you’ll find in the first six episodes are several characters on the board that legitimately could exit our world, one way or another. That’s both returning and new,” he teases.

The Resident has already set a precedent for major character exits: In addition to the death of cancer patient Lily, the show has written out Dr. Lane Hunter (played by Melina Kanakaredes) and Chastain Park’s ex-CEO Claire Thorpe (Merrin Dungey).

But in Season 2, according to Harthan, “there are more characters on the board that you’re going to be invested in, that you’re going to care about, that you’re going to be rooting for, who are either in medical or physical danger.”

https://tvline.com/2018/08/23/the-resident-season-2-spoilers-character-death-fox/

Details about Tanc Sade's character and Daniela Alonso's character

Sade — who played Logan’s Yale pal Finn on the aforementioned CW/Netflix series — will guest-star in a Season 2 episode as Josh Robinson, a professional extreme adventure guide whose story takes a highly unexpected turn when he is treated by Dr. Conrad Hawkins (Czuchry) at Chastain Park Memorial Hospital, TVLine has learned.

https://tvline.com/2018/08/14/the-resident-cast-tanc-sade-season-2-gilmore-girls-reunion/

The actress will appear in multiple Season 2 episodes as Zoey Barlow, a strong single mother whose two adopted children both have chronic illnesses. With a firecracker attitude and a warm heart, Zoey is described as the kind of mom who gets down on the floor to play with her kids, and the Chastain Park Memorial team will root for her small, loving family as they battle the unimaginable.

https://tvline.com/2018/08/27/the-resident-daniella-alonso-season-2-cast-fox/

• Love 1

If Mina's S2 main storyline is about her medical skills and two great doctors (probably three, with Bell) wooing for her talents, I'll be a very happy camper. This is the kind of triangle I can get behind.

Talking of triangles, there is seemingly none between Conrad, Nic, and Jenna Dewan's character, which is good, but I worry that she's going to come between Dev and Priya -who was MIA at the end of last season IIRC. As for Conrad and Nic, it's very smart imo to have them navigate the waters of their relationship and balance it with their work rather than creating non-stop artificial drama. Let's see if the writers stick to it.

A Melina Kanakaredes encore, yay. I can't help but hope she'll be back at one point during the season. She and Bruce Greenwood played off each other so well. 

Not sure I'm too fond of the "one character is going to die" schtick. If S2 is successful, I'm afraid the writers are going to chicken out like the Revenge ones did in S1. The cast does seems a bit bloated, nevertheless I won't complain since they added more female characters instead of overly sausaging the show. Not loving the last blurb either, it sounds too sappy and if I wanted sappy, I'd watch The Good Doctor. It could only be the PR people using a melodramatic tone, so I'll wait and see.

• Love 2

“The Resident” is introducing Glenn Morshower as Marshall Winthrop, Conrad’s (Matt Czuchry) estranged father, to not only offer new personal relationship complications but also professional ones.

“A resident can’t overrule a CEO or a chief of surgery. But the Chairman of the Board can,” says showrunner Todd Harthan. “That means it’s ‘Game of Thrones’ in the power centers of the hospital and [Dr. Randolph] Bell has a serious adversary in Marshall.”

Jenna Dewan’s recurring role of Julian Lynn, a medical device rep who blows into the hospital, is going to push the show into “thriller” territory, adds Harthan. She will not only threaten Devon’s (Manish Dayal) future marriage but also his career as a doctor.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/features/fall-2018-tv-recasting-lethal-weapon-911-ncis-crazy-ex-girlfriend-this-is-us-1202924130/

What to Expect: Season two begins roughly a week after the season one finale with the team at Chastain Memorial dealing with a major storm and blackout. Jenna Dewanguest stars in a key role. Look for her character, a medical device rep named Julian, to be central to the story. Hot in Cleveland and Frasier star Jane Leeves joins the cast as a new ortho surgeon.

https://www.eonline.com/photos/25258/2018-fall-tv-preview-all-the-scoop-on-your-favorite-returning-shows/865694

• Love 2

She will not only threaten Devon’s (Manish Dayal) future marriage but also his career as a doctor.

I knew it! Nevertheless, it sounds as if they're going to choose the Lane Junior angle, which is actually an interesting and more original one; the zillion shows that tried to make their audiences love interlopers always failed miserably, you wonder why writers still try. It could also be interesting to see less squeaky-clean sides to Devon, yet careful not to ruin him in the process.

If she's a villain, she'll be a serious contender as the Big Victim. 

• Love 1

I sensed something was going on with Devon and JD's character since she has worked mostly with Manish Dayal in the last few weeks...

THE RESIDENT

The arrival of Conrad’s father to Chastain Park Memorial will make way for “a season-long arc between father and son… that’s going to be uncomfortable at times and emotionally powerful at times,” executive producer Todd Harthan reveals. “Can they figure out a way to move forward and have a meaningful relationship? It’s a tremendous roller coaster ride.” But at least one person will be highly irked by Marshall’s presence: Dr. Bell, who will engage in “an interesting game of chess” with Conrad’s old man in order to maintain power at the hospital. Elsewhere in Season 2, Conrad and Nic’s rekindled romance will get plenty of screen time, including their relationship’s origin story. “We’re going to give the audience a nice snapshot into what it was like during the honeymoon phase of their relationship, all the way up until things imploded and why,” Harthan teases. Also getting some time in the romantic spotlight will be Mina and Micah, as the early Season 2 episodes explore “the trials and tribulations of their relationship, his health issues and her career desires.”

BONUS SPOILER!: Episode 6, which serves as the drama’s Halloween installment, will feature a “fun, crazy, wildly entertaining” medical case. “It’s a condition that none of us were aware of, which is tied to nightmares,” Harthan offers.

https://tvline.com/gallery/fall-tv-2018-season-premiere-spoilers/#!32/the-resident-fall-tv-preview-2018/

Edited by Klapaucius
  • Love 1

Official synopsis of Season 2 premiere

A BLACKOUT AT CHASTAIN CAUSES TENSIONS THROUGHOUT THE HOSPITAL ON THE ALL-NEW SEASON TWO PREMIERE OF "THE RESIDENT" MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 24, ON FOX

A blackout at Chastain Memorial Hospital requires the staff to treat their patients without the help of any technology. Bell orders the staff to stop accepting new patients and transfer those on life support, but when a child in need is rushed to the ER, Conrad and Devon go against the mandate. Meanwhile, Mina and Austin are tasked with performing heart surgery on a premature baby, despite the lack of power, and Nic works tirelessly to organize the staff and patients who stay during the blackout in the all-new "00:42:30" Season Two premiere episode of THE RESIDENT airing Monday, Sept. 24 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (RES-201) (TV-14 D, L, S, V)

Spoilers from Variety about what's in store for Season 2

The Resident (Fox) – Season 2 premieres Sept. 24

“The show is bigger, bolder and more emotional than ever. We have dynamic new characters including Jenna Dewan and Jane Leeves. Nic and Conrad are now together and fighting to make the relationship work. We deepen our understanding of their past and what obstacles are before them. Bell is up against a powerhouse and has to answer to Conrad’s father, Marshall. The two powerful men form a triangle with Conrad in the struggle to improve patient care at Chastain, with Conrad often in the middle. It’s always profits versus patients on ‘The Resident.’ Finally we have a giant new thriller arc and new patients put in jeopardy. The white coats have to take on some terrifying black hats It will be rollercoaster ride to the end of the season.”

https://variety.com/gallery/fall-2018-returning-tv-shows-preview-gallery/

The Resident (Fox)

Returns: Monday, Sept. 24 at 8/7c

Where We Left Off: Lane (Melina Kanakaredes) was finally arrested for insurance fraud after overdosing multiple patients with chemotherapy, allowing Nic (Emily Van Camp) to be freed from prison and continue her maybe-relationship with Conrad (Matt Czuchry). Although Chastain Park dodged another potentially hospital-ending publicity disaster, there's a new boss in town after the recent board shake-ups. Conrad's dad stepped in at the last minute to take over as chairman, and both Randolph (Bruce Greenwood) and Conrad are pretty shook about it.

What's Next: We'll get to dig deeper into Conrad's rift with his father and whether these two can work in the same hospital without burning the place down. Jenna Dewan also joins the cast in Season 2, and we already know she's shooting some serious flirty eyes at Devon (Manish Dayal) -- could that lead to more? The thing we need most, though, is for Conrad and Nic to stop flirting and making out in private rooms and just make a firm decision about whether or not they are back together.

https://www.tvguide.com/news/fall-tv-2018-returning-shows-walking-dead-greys-anatomy-supernatural-spoilers/

And a new promotional photo

And press release for episode 2.2 "The Prince and The Pauper"

TWO NEW KEY PLAYERS ASSERT THEMSELVES AT CHASTAIN ON AN ALL-NEW "THE RESIDENT" MONDAY, OCTOBER 1, ON FOX

Jenna Dewan ("World of Dance") Guest-Stars

Bell grows frustrated when Marshall Winthrop, Conrad's dad and new chairman of the board, requests Conrad's input in his discussions about the hospital's expenses. As Conrad and Nic work to cut costs for their patients in need, Julian Lynn (guest star Jenna Dewan), a sharp and sophisticated medical device rep, meets the staff at Chastain and inserts herself into the ongoing work of the doctors to promote her costly products. Meanwhile, Mina's relationship with Micah struggles in the wake of his healing process, and Devon is tasked with showing the eager new interns around the hospital in the all-new "The Prince & The Pauper" episode of THE RESIDENT airing Monday, Oct. 1 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (RES-202) (TV-14 D, L, S, V)

• Love 1
4 hours ago, SuzieQ said:

Just rewatched the whole season in the last month!  Wonder if Hunter is just gone now or if they will reference her outcome?

So ready!

We'll see her again in the season premiere

Question: Have we seen the last of Melina Kanakaredes’ evil MD on The Resident? I hope not. I hate her but I kinda like her, too. —Kevin
Ausiello: The now-disgraced and incarcerated oncologist will, in fact, appear in the Sept. 18 premiere — presumably rotting away in prison. “I don’t know if she’s rotting,” EP Todd Harthan hedges. “But I can say that [Bruce Greenwood’s Dr. Bell] has a moment with her. You definitely have not seen the last of her.”

• Love 1

From TV Line:

Question: I’d love a Resident scoop on Conrad/Nic. —Holly
Ausiello: I hope you enjoyed the couple’s honeymoon phase while it lasted, because the back half of Season 2 will be “nothing but obstacles” for the pair, according to executive producer Todd Harthan. “In just about every episode, there’s a new one for them to overcome… and they just start stacking up,” Harthan says, adding that the couple will be especially preoccupied with the health of Conrad’s father and Nic’s sister. “It’s going to be a ‘hold on and hope that they make it’ kind of ride,” he teases.

UGH. Yes, I did appreciate the non-drama and good writing for a couple, even if they aren't "my" couple, but I guess we can't have nice things, can we? The tiny-tiny hope I have is how they use "the health of Conrad's father" and not "the death of Conrad's father" and it means that Jenna Dewan's character hits the dust instead of Marshall. Of course, they wouldn't say Marshall dies if he dies because it's actual tea, which one won't find on TV Line anymore. So maybe it's a lose/lose anyway.

The show's ratings would make it a lock on ABC and CBS but with new FOX and probably less scripted programming, it isn't a shoe-in at all. Time to make your audience happy, and shippers as well as non shippers would probably agree on not wanting some new Devon/Priya garbage kind of storyliine. I said something along those "don't piss off you audience" lines about Lucifer, at about the same time last season. And the Resident doesn't have the same economics or the same worldwide/genre following.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 2

Facepalm

I'll only be frustrated if they go there with Mina and AJ. I do not like them as a potential romance. And another love triangle, oh joy.

Also, how can Devon be caught between two love interests? Priya dropped his sorry ass, thankfully.

And another showrunner talking about "frustrating the audience". Sigh.

Edited by Happy Harpy

I think Julian is alive, hiding somewhere or in witness protection...

And hate, hater, hate Okafor and the Raptor as a couple. Ugh. I actually hate the Raptor, wish he found a job somewhere else and just left. I like Mina a lot, please don't ruin her.

• Love 1

Just read on TV Line where they're adding a new cast member for S3 - Morris Chestnut who'll play a Dr. Barrett Cain.   I like MC as an actor and enjoyed him in Rosewood and TEW (The Enemy Within) but this seems like a silly move by the writers/showrunner.   

IMO, it appears he's a cross between MJW's Raptor character (brilliant, charming surgeon) and a combination of Lane/Quo Vadis guy (ruthless, greedy and vengeful).  I'm not sure why they couldn't have just returned HODAD to this "original" role and/or bring back Marshall (Conrad's dad) to get the hospital solvent again after HODAD's debacle.   

Doesn't say how long Dr. Cain (Cain & Abel scenario, lol) will last but so far, all the villains have died pretty much after one season.   Here's hoping it's intelligent writing and storylines and not the usual trope with these hospital dramas.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, sempervivum said:

Wait, what? Is The Raptor gone?

Morris Chestnut is aptly named, as he is wooden as hell. Also, I just found out here that The Enemy Within was cancelled (not sorry).

Isn't the Raptor at 11 seconds in, putting gloves on? Or is that Mina?

Matts Inside Line

Any updates on The Resident? –Marylouise

Yes, but be warned — it’s pretty dire stuff. I am hearing that although Nic and Conrad are currently in parents-to-be bliss (and soon will reveal the news to colleagues in a fun way), the shiny-happy times won’t last long. Rather, both Nic’s life and the baby’s will be put into danger due to a random, violent incident. And the fallout from this event will bring back to Chastain one of Nic’s best friends, Billie Sutton (played by Jessica Lucas).

https://tvline.com/2021/01/26/the-resident-spoilers-season-4-nic-conrad-baby/

I found this Nic storyline so random. I’ve felt like Emily Van Camp has been sidelined since the end of season two. (I think Van Camp requests a lighter workload). She’s become more of a background character when she has previously been up front and center with Devon. 

My speculation is for this season stabbing is:

Emily Van Camp has asked for a lighter workload - the stabbing puts her on bed rest for the rest of the season. 

Emily Van Camp is leaving at the end of the season. Possible pregnancy complications lead to her eventual death after baby is born which sets up Conrad’s storyline for next season of grieving dad..

• Useful 1

I think Emily Van Camp needed some time off to co-star in "The Falcon and the Winter Soldier", also filming in Atlanta at the same time as this show.  When she's not healing patients at Chastain Hospital, she's fighting super-villains in the Marvel Universe.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

Ok, so a lot of interviews have come out about this time jump and have essentially spoiled a good chunk of the plots being set up, such as Bell and AJ fighting to become Chief of Surgery, AJ writing a book, and Conrad getting back into the dating scene relatively early into this time jump. Not to mention Trevor becoming an intern despite him definitely being too young to already be finished med school.

And all the spoilers I've read about do not really make me want to watch. It just sounds not just like a lot of change, but a lot of weird choices made by the show to encapture this "new chapter" for the show. It feels like more TV-filled drama, more than anything, and I'm not seeing a whole lot to be excited for with this new chapter. I know I should be giving it a "wait and see" response because it could turn out to be just fine....but I think this show became relegated to the PVR, instead of me watching live. I'll watch the next couple of episodes, but it won't be live.

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Not to mention Trevor becoming an intern despite him definitely being too young to already be finished med school.

Oh shit.  Trevor's going to become a regular?  I am not looking forward to seeing him.  

• Love 1