Type keyword(s) to search

The Time Traveler's Wife In The Media

• Start Topic

On 9/6/2018 at 6:56 AM, AngelKitty said:

I loved the book and actually loved the movie. I don't have HBO so I'll have to wait till it comes to Netflix.

HBO shows typically don’t go to Netflix. But you can get the HBO channel through Prime - or they may eventually it stream it on Prime. I may be the only one but I don’t have high hopes with Moffatt. Sherlock went down hill real fast and rather spectacularly and DW has been uneven for ages. 

• Love 2

From Steven Moffat on adapting the book;

A TV series based on Audrey Niffenegger’s “The Time Traveler’s Wife” has been ordered to series at HBO.

Steven Moffat (“Doctor Who”) will adapt and executive produce the small-screen take which tells the story of Clare and Henry, and a marriage with a problem… time travel.

Says Moffat, “I read Audrey Niffenegger’s The Time Traveler’s Wife many years ago, and I fell in love with it. In fact, I wrote a Doctor Who episode called The Girl In The Fireplace as a direct response to it. When, in her next novel, Audrey had a character watching that very episode, I realised she was probably on to me. All these years later, the chance to adapt the novel itself, is a dream come true. The brave new world of long form television is now ready for this kind of depth and complexity. It’s a story of happy ever after? – ?but not necessarily in that order.”

• Love 1

'Steven Moffat teases his approach to The Time Traveler's Wife'

The time travel functions very differently from Doctor Who. How did you work out the parameters for the series?

It bears no resemblance to anything I've done in terms of time travel before. Doctor Who loves time traveling, and mainly it's just the bus seat they get on to arrive at their next adventure. Here, Audrey is saying to her reader, "Keep up. This is the story of a man living his life in the wrong order, and I'm not necessarily going to tell it in the right order." What I admired as I read it is the fact you have to lean forward into the book and keep up. Make an audience pay attention and they will be rewarded. So, I went with the Audrey principles of it, really. We're not going to make it easy for you. You are going to pay attention.

On 4/22/2022 at 10:20 AM, DanaK said:

Just an update to say HBO's schedule on their website now shows the premiere at 9pm ET on May 15

I had no idea this was a thing and I’m excited!

Theo James is so handsome. 

• Love 1
On 4/21/2022 at 3:02 PM, Trini said:

James looks really different with the older, longer haired look; I almost thought it was a different actor!

I like the use of hairstyles to signify which “Henry” we are talking to, Theo James is 🥰🥰🥰 but the long hair makes him look so different. 

Random question- is there a reason you guys know of why we have to wait until 9pm Eastern to see the next episode?

I recall with And Just Like That the episode was available at midnight the day of. 

• Useful 1

I think with the "prestige dramas" HBO wants to make it an event and not have it available on the stream before it airs on TV on the east coast. They've done that with all their prestige dramas, I think. GoT, Mare of Easttown, Sharp Objects, The Undoing all come immediately to mind as ones that were released only when the TV airing began on the east coast. I'm sure there were others but those were the ones I watched week by week instead of binging the whole thing afterwards.

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

I think with the "prestige dramas" HBO wants to make it an event and not have it available on the stream before it airs on TV on the east coast. They've done that with all their prestige dramas, I think. GoT, Mare of Easttown, Sharp Objects, The Undoing all come immediately to mind as ones that were released only when the TV airing began on the east coast. I'm sure there were others but those were the ones I watched week by week instead of binging the whole thing afterwards.

Thank you!

I saw that. So we got half a story. They should have just done the limited series. I mean the movie told the whole story in 2 hours surely they could have done it in 6. They shot themselves in the foot with this one. Ugh. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, dbklmt said:

It's official, the Time Traveller's Wife on HBO MAX has been canceled.

https://tvline.com/2022/07/01/the-time-travelers-wife-cancelled-season-2-hbo/#more-1234844415

2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Holy crap!  That's a major shock.

The overnight ratings were pretty low, under 300k and dropping after that. The longer term ratings must have been underwhelming as well. I’ve read streaming numbers were good but I haven’t seen actual numbers

I’ve only seen the first episode so far but I plan to watch the full season since it’s only 6 episodes

• Love 2
23 hours ago, MzLiz said:

I saw that. So we got half a story. They should have just done the limited series. I mean the movie told the whole story in 2 hours surely they could have done it in 6. They shot themselves in the foot with this one. Ugh. 

Exactly.  There was absolutely no reason why they needed to try and turn the book into two seasons, and now we'll never have the rest of the story.

• Love 5
(edited)

Came here to say the same thing. I think the pacing was quite bad and I don't see how they could have just kept coming out with seasons long term without getting even sillier than they already had been. I like the story, the basic concept but I do agree with what is said here by the critic. I think Claire should have been cast better as well as a tighter script and plot line, no bloody Gomez and antics. 

A mini series would have worked perfectly. 

https://ew.com/tv/the-time-travelers-wife-canceled-hbo/#:~:text=James and Leslie starred as,and his wife%2C Clare Abshire.

EW's television critic Darren Franich gave the HBO series a D, citing an awkward meet-weird and a lack of chemistry between Leslie and James, alongside "bad wigs, limp characterization, indifferent plotting." Though he also noted, "Come for the ass," referring to James' many nude scenes.

Edited by LadyIrony
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

Damn, they canceled this and renewed And Just Like That, which is at least as bad if not worse. There really wasn't any reason to try to drag this out over 2 seasons, though. Moffett shot himself in the foot.

Oh well, we'll always have Season 1 and Theo James' butt, which is more than I can say for AJLT.

Edited by NeenerNeener
  • Love 2
On 7/4/2022 at 4:34 PM, NeenerNeener said:

There really wasn't any reason to try to drag this out over 2 seasons, though. Moffett shot himself in the foot.

My sneaking suspicion is that Moffett wanted to have it play out differently from the book and that's why he didn't just do the full book and have the series be a one and done. I think there would have been some sort of "mission" in S2 to prevent 42-year-old Theo from dying when he does.

On 7/4/2022 at 4:34 PM, NeenerNeener said:

Damn, they canceled this and renewed And Just Like That, which is at least as bad if not worse. There really wasn't any reason to try to drag this out over 2 seasons, though. Moffett shot himself in the foot.

Oh well, we'll always have Season 1 and Theo James' butt, which is more than I can say for AJLT.

I couldn't even finish the first episode of "And Just Like That." Shocked it was renewed.

'"The Time Traveler's Wife: The Complete Series" on Disc October 18'

HBO’s genre-bending drama series that captivated audiences all around the world travels to your homes as Warner Bros. Home Entertainment releases The Time Traveler’s Wife: The Complete Series on DVD October 18, 2022. Follow all 6, one-hour episodes from the series, plus almost 30 minutes of bonus content that goes behind the scenes of the series for the ultimate fan! The Time Traveler’s Wife: The Complete Series is priced to own at $19.99 SRP for the DVD ($24.99 in Canada). The series is also available to own on Digital via purchase from digital retailers and to stream on HBO Max.

SPECIAL FEATURES

• Chapters of a Relationship
  • Anatomy of a Scene
  • Time Traveler’s Wife: A Love for All Time

Dang it, I was looking forward to a second season of Theo's butt...er I mean finding out how the story would continue to unfold and end. Guess it's time to go watch the movie, which I had put on hold until after the tv show concluded, and watch the story unfold in what will probably feel like the screenwriter pressed fast forward on the plot.

• Love 1
On 10/15/2022 at 1:35 AM, Bill1978 said:

Dang it, I was looking forward to a second season of Theo's butt...er I mean finding out how the story would continue to unfold and end.

😄 I second that. The story, of course, the story! 

• Applause 1