Type keyword(s) to search

Catelynn (and Tyler)

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, poopchute said:

I guess it's odd that she would say that Tootie's birthday is at midnight if she wasn't waking her up at midnight.  Why not just say "Tootie's birthday is tomorrow!!"?  Oh well Catelyn is just a silly sausage.

Catelynn would EAT the sausage.

4 hours ago, poopchute said:

Oh okay. Again I don't know because my baby is only 7 months but why would you need to be at home the night before your child's birthday?

Because everyone else is out partying at Boogietown. Butch is in jail. There is no one around to dump NonCarly on. Cate has no choice but to be home instead of going out.

• Love 8

As someone who's struggled with eating disorders on both ends of the spectrum due to  depression and PTSD, I will say that sometimes that "easy 30 minute walk" is like climbing a mountain. It really can be impossible. And comfort food can be an addiction (as can losing weight). I've been there, on both sides.

I don't like Catelynn at all and I understand that things are different when you're a parent, but unfortunately mental illnesses don't just disappear when you become a parent and that "tiny effort" is exactly what you may not be able to do when you are that mentally ill. It's only tiny and easy if you're not in that position. Not getting help is literally an aspect of mental illness. You can't just pull yourself up by your bootstraps or think "I'd feel better if I did this". It's not a rational disorder. Not being able to do small things to improve your daily life *is* exactly what mental illness often looks like. 

As someone who's experienced a lot of trauma, I feel for Cate because she obviously has too and that will always affect her. But I waited to have kids until I had found my way out of the woods, which meant waiting until my late 20s. I will always have a mental illness but it is now manageable. What I do fault her for most is bringing a child into that. It's not her fault she has a currently untreated mental illness but it's also not her daughter's fault and that sucks for their child. A third of our population has a mental illness and I don't think it's wrong to have a child if you are mentally ill, but you do need to be at a basic level of functioning, which she is not. And I fault Tyler for agreeing to it, honestly even more than I fault her, while being the non mentally ill person in the situation. 

Edited by Lm2162
  • Love 17

I commend you, Lm2162. That's exactly what I wish Cate had done. I believe her mental illness is as real as her horrible childhood. But, as an adult, I just wish she would have made more of an effort to get herself sorted out before jumping into motherhood and passing these problems onto someone else.

• Love 12

I believe Cate has a true mental illness and needs help.  She is very fortunate that she has the financial means to get professional help ranging from mental health help/dieting options/exercise programs etc.  She doesn't want help...Her excuses for being lazy would become invalid.  If she thinks she's depressed now... Just wait and check back in 5 yrs.

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, GreatKazu said:

According to Cate, she no longer suffers from depression.

Not sure what the status is of her other claims. Or her addictions. 

Oh yay! Where did she proclaim this? Twitter?

I took Cate's Instagram post as one of those holier than thou posts that a lot of people use to throw shade on other parents to prove that THEY are great parents because THEY aren't going out on New Years' Eve and are, instead, staying home with their children because they are the Best.Parents.Ever. 

It's usually the people that you wouldn't let babysit your roaches that post such things. Because, you know, irony. 

• Love 17
18 hours ago, Caracoa1 said:

I believe Cate has a true mental illness and needs help.  She is very fortunate that she has the financial means to get professional help ranging from mental health help/dieting options/exercise programs etc.  She doesn't want help...Her excuses for being lazy would become invalid.  If she thinks she's depressed now... Just wait and check back in 5 yrs.

I think Cate holds fast to her mental illness as an excuse for everything, so I don't think she's likely to try and get real help any time soon. It's kind of a vicious circle. Because I do realize that severely depressed people can get in such a rut that they really cannot take care of themselves. But I think Catelynn was a caretaker way too young - for her brother and addict mother. So I think she likes that people have to help HER out a lot now, and is afraid of losing that. 

• Love 3
On 1/3/2017 at 10:42 AM, Lm2162 said:

You don't "overcome" major depression, you manage it. If it's for a time, it's situational depression, not major clinical depression. She's in denial or was never depressed. And I think it's the former. 

It is questionable.

I think Cate does a lot of self-diagnosing and gets help from WebMD.

Cate is resistant to seeking help, so I imagine if she is directed to a professional who tells her something she does not want to hear, she avoids seeing them. 

I have a relative on my husband's side who was quick to listen to a doctor who told her she needed Xanax for her issues, but when another doctor advised her to change her diet to help with her high blood pressure and to lose wight, she wasn't having it. Very resistant. So many excuses she gives. 

Edited by GreatKazu
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, GreatKazu said:

It is questionable.

Cate is resistant to seeking help, so I imagine if she is directed to a professional who tells her something she does not want to hear, she avoids seeing them. 

I have a relative on my husband's side who was quick to listen to a doctor who told her she needed Xanax for her issues, but when another doctor advised her to change her diet to help with her high blood pressure and to lose wight, she wasn't having it. Very resistant. So many excuses she gives. 

Due to her history I can easily see her having a real mental issue. It's hard to tell under all the bravado, though. And if she does, it would be really good to stay off TV. All this constant exposure and managing of one's image would make anybody a little crazy. If you don't have good coping skills or do have a severe mental health issue I can't imagine the insanity it would cause. She wants to throw things at the problem (horses, pigs, TV shows, weddings) to cover it up, and I have some sympathy for that but at some point it gets really, really old and tiresome watching it. 

• Love 5

To me when someone says they no longer suffer from depression....what it most often means is that they are not currently symptomatic.  I don't expect everyone to speak with clinical language.   If Cate is saying she is no longer experiencing the symptoms of depression and that is true....good for her.  

But I forgot mention she's fat.  Bad Shelley.  Bad.  

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, GreatKazu said:

No doubt years of smoking pot and drinking alcohol since she was 12 years old, has caused some mental impairment and damage to her brain. She comes off mentally stunted. 

The fact that she allows her mother -- a woman who never protected her daughter from physical abuse and neglected every single need -- become the primary caregiver of her child shows the degree to which she is stunted: SEVERE.

• Love 20
21 minutes ago, CofCinci said:

The fact that she allows her mother -- a woman who never protected her daughter from physical abuse and neglected every single need -- become the primary caregiver of her child shows the degree to which she is stunted: SEVERE.

And April herself is also mentally stunted due to the same reasons - drugs and alcohol. 

• Love 12
28 minutes ago, CofCinci said:

This has always bothered me. No way would I use April or anyone in her house to watch my child. OF course my child is grown and a mother herself. But STILL!

• Love 11
8 minutes ago, FairyDusted said:

This has always bothered me. No way would I use April or anyone in her house to watch my child. OF course my child is grown and a mother herself. But STILL!

I think Catelynn sees her mother in a different way than when she was at her worst. April is also her Boogietown buddy. Cate is no different than April. 

• Love 6
On 1/3/2017 at 1:42 PM, Lm2162 said:

You don't "overcome" major depression, you manage it. If it's for a time, it's situational depression, not major clinical depression. She's in denial or was never depressed. And I think it's the former. 

I wrote about this on Jenelle's board so I won't go into the details again but, basically, I a\have 2 rare medical disorders. (One caused the other.) We don't currently have a celebrity spokesperson with either condition and since so few of us have them, they don't get a lot of attention. There isn't a cure for either, although brain surgery (I've had 2) can help alleviate the symptoms of the Chiari. A few years ago a popular country singer was diagnosed with it. She had the brain surgery and within our support groups we were all kind of like, whoo hoo! FINALLY. Maybe it will get some attention at last. A few months later she was in interviews claiming to be "cured." Damn, that pissed us off. There is no cure. Even the surgery doesn't always help, and it must be repeated throughout your life. She  later apologized, saying that she "felt better" and just chose to use the word "cured" because it made her kids feel better. Well, then say that to your kids. But don't say it to the media. We already suffer from wide misconceptions and misinformation about the condition to begin with. I've been friends with many people who are permanently disabled, and a few who  have passed away, because they didn't get adequate treatment soon enough from doctors who weren't educated on it and therefore didn't think it was a big deal. 

Sometimes, I think using words like "cured" or "overcome" can minimalism something that is highly-complicated. It can also set unrealistic expectations. Words matter, for sure. 

• Love 7

I agree, but did she actually say "cured"? I'm not doubting it's true but I just want to be sure that's what was said before I lay into her and get myself blocked on twitter.

im sorry but anyone who has truly dealt with depression knows it doesn't just go away... sure you have good and bad days, but it seems it's always there waiting to slip up. 

It surprises me that not only does she allow her mom around NotCarly, but she spends the majority of her time with her. Sparing the details of my childhood I grew up severely neglected (like almost never had food because my dad would by alcohol instead, and mom would hoard for herself what we did have) over the years as an adult I thought a lot about how much involvement I would allow my mom to have if I had kids (I hadn't had any contact with my dad for the last 15 yrs of his life and he died 3 yrs ago so that wasn't an issue) in a weirdly thankful way I never had to decide because my mom passed away before it ever became an issue, although I do still wonder what I will tell future kids, but for now that's a non issue because I don't have kids. If I did though they would not be spending days/weeks at a tim with my mother... when I say I was considering how much involvement, I mean would I have let the see her period, would I allow an unsupervised afternoon? But nothing beyond that, at least not until the children were old enough to report what happened to me. I know that might sound extreme, but I just can't imagine sending a child who cannot communicate into a situation that I know to be difficult, and I sure as hell would want my child to be able to tell me if something wasn't right.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, leighroda said:

I agree, but did she actually say "cured"? I'm not doubting it's true but I just want to be sure that's what was said before I lay into her and get myself blocked on twitter.

I know that might sound extreme, but I just can't imagine sending a child who cannot communicate into a situation that I know to be difficult, and I sure as hell would want my child to be able to tell me if something wasn't right.

To be fair, I was just going off of what folks were saying here. She might not have used the words "cured" or "overcome." I can't remember. 

I grew up in a similar type of household. It's difficult for me to fathom as well. 

Sometimes, I think using words like "cured" or "overcome" can minimalism something that is highly-complicated. It can also set unrealistic expectations. Words matter, for sure. 

If she said under control, I might go along with It. Who knows what is really going on? I don't think Cate or Tyler even know.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, GreatKazu said:

It is questionable.

I have no opinion on whether or not Cate is clinically depressed. Maybe she is, maybe she isn't. I DEFINITELY believe though, she would avoid speaking to any medical professional who told her something she did not want to hear, regardless of her mental state. And there are plenty of licensed therapists who will enable their patients, either intentionally or unintentionally. If Cate was serious about therapy, she'd probably shop around until she found one who would tell her what she wants to hear.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, ginger90 said:

If she said under control, I might go along with It. Who knows what is really going on? I don't think Cate or Tyler even know.

Especially since in our recent discussion, I never saw what Cate had to actually say....just what another poster said she said in an instagram post a while ago (unless I missed it...which is totally within the realm of possibility).   

• Love 1

To clarify, I am remembering someone here posting a comment along with a link about Cate's depression being under control. I think it was over a month ago. I don't remember who posted it. I did a quick search on Cate's Twitter to see if she had posted anything about the status of her depression. I don't see anything unless I missed it. There are so many tweets and retweets to go through. I am wondering if it could be the members who post links here regularly?

• Love 2

I went down the rabbit hole and read a bunch of her twitter and instagram.   She posts about depression a lot, but never say her say she's over it or anything like that.  She posts a lot though, so it could be in there.  

Cate posted this on Instagram a week ago about mental illness:

Edited by shelley1005
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, GreatKazu said:

To clarify, I am remembering someone here posting a comment along with a link about Cate's depression being under control. I think it was over a month ago. I don't remember who posted it. I did a quick search on Cate's Twitter to see if she had posted anything about the status of her depression. I don't see anything unless I missed it. There are so many tweets and retweets to go through. I am wondering if it could be the members who post links here regularly?

I didn't see the actual tweet but I have no doubt that, even if she DIDN'T use those words in an actual post, she's used them somewhere. :-)

• Love 1
10 hours ago, CofCinci said:

Tyler hasn't boasted about the ratings -- so they must have been terrible!

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-monday-cable-originals-network-finals-12-5-2016.html

15th highest rated cable show on Monday, Dec. 5, 2016.

I've never followed Neilson ratings, etc, but is 15th place good? I mean, for a new show? I asked Santa for the show to tank and he usually gets me what I want. ?

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, Calm81 said:

I've never followed Neilson ratings, etc, but is 15th place good? I mean, for a new show? I asked Santa for the show to tank and he usually gets me what I want. ?

No, it's not good. 15th place for cable shows on 12/5.   Almost beat by a rerun of American Pickers.  They lost half of the audience from the TM reunion. 

Edited by CofCinci
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, CofCinci said:

No, it's not good. 15th place for cable shows on 12/5.   Almost beat by a rerun of American Pickers. 

Santa didn't let me down, again! Thx!! STFU Tyler.

• Love 8

I never ended up watching the reunited episode except two minutes. 

What about the ratings for the Weekend at Cory's special? I know, wrong thread. If someone can post the info on that thread I'd appreciate it.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, GreatKazu said:

I never ended up watching the reunited episode except two minutes. 

What about the ratings for the Weekend at Cory's special? I know, wrong thread. If someone can post the info on that thread I'd appreciate it.  

Looking for you, Kazu....  Both #15 for cable that night.  Comparable ratings.  Scored higher with men.  Also kept more of the 9:00 lead-in.

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-monday-cable-originals-network-finals-12-12-2016.html

• Love 1
15 hours ago, ginger90 said:

If I am reading that chart correctly, the reunion had double the viewers of Reunited. Considering they stuck it in as a Teen Mom show, that really sucks.

Was it always meant to be a Teen Mom episode or was that kind of a last minute thing? I was under the impression that they were getting a spinoff, more or less. Or at least a 2-part special series. The fact that it basically ran as an episode of TM that my DVR couldn't even differentiate from the regular episodes was weird. The way Tyler was carrying on about being so proud of his passion, I expected more hoopla. 

• Love 6
22 hours ago, CofCinci said:

Looking for you, Kazu....  Both #15 for cable that night.  Comparable ratings.  Scored higher with men.  Also kept more of the 9:00 lead-in.

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-monday-cable-originals-network-finals-12-12-2016.html

Thanks!

7 hours ago, CofCinci said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/TylerBaltierra/status/806711863329357824

https://mobile.twitter.com/TylerBaltierra/status/804530284549079041

I'd pull up more tweets but I can only take so much Tyler.  He's used terms like series, premiere, first episode, etc. Tyler has soliticied for others to contact them.  

The thought this was a spinoff. 

MTV was testing the waters. 

• Love 2

Guess there were no fish. They won't try that lake again. Hope they do another Corey/Dad's episode  

While Weekend at Corey's ranked around the same, that episode had a smaller lead-in and kept most of the audience -- especially the men.  Tyler lost half the male audience.  Given the explosive finale lead-in, MTV expected Tyler's passion project to perform. It didn't. 

• Love 9

Pretty funny since I saw more commercials and promotions by MTV on their channel for the Reunited "special" than the Weekend at Cory's special.

@CofCinci MTV used the wrong bait.

There are plenty of C&T sympathizers and minions, but I just don't think a show like this will bring in viewers simply because C&T are in it.  C&T, Maci, and Amber as a group couldn't keep TM afloat. The PTB had to bring in Farrah.

Edited by SPLAIN
  • Love 3