Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: Backwards-Like

• Start Topic

Issa needs to run, not walk to The Beat Crew and see about getting a job. She’s reached her limit, and now she’s totally checked out.  Five years at WGY just to get demoted?  Time to go, girl.

I feel bad for Molly.  You don’t learn some of those small details until you’re fully immersed in the new place.  

I think it’s only gonna get worse with Tiffany, because she’s embarking on this huge change that the other girls don’t understand yet.  She was annoying and extra before she was pregnant.

This episode felt really short.

• Love 6

Daniel's proud, competitive and got a little chip on his shoulder.

Issa is trying to get him to play the game and to smooth out his edges -- maybe Daniel would have made a scene at the restaurant if she didn't try to divert him from his annoyance with the waiter.

Then he made the pointed remark about taking career advice from her.  

I couldn't believe they were going to hook up after that, but Issa stopped it.

Now that Issa is going to move out, are they going to drop Daniel's arc?

Molly may not yet have embraced her new job -- she didn't realize how often she talked about her "old firm" until her co-workers snickered at her talking about it so much.  Maybe it's a thing that black people are harder on each other but I don't exactly remember why she left her old job, other than finding out she was being paid less than some male and white colleagues.

I couldn't keep up with all of the convo when the girls got together.  It was funny but I probably need to turn on CC, which wasn't available on HBO Go when I watched.

• Love 2

Shea butter dispensers in the bathrooms.

Countdown until Molly quits her new job. It's almost a crabs in a bucket situation. However, Molly probably should've waited until she got the lay of the land before she started criticizing,

Hmm, Daniel might be trying to hold a sista back. Glad Issa went ahead and took the apartment manager job.

Though I think that was a classic Sade song that didn't need covering it was quite apt for the scene. This show does such an amazing job of using just the right music at just the right moment.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 5

Hoo, a study in contrasts. Issa's girlfriends drag each other for filth, but they can accept the advice is meant well and move on. But every time Issa tells the truth to These Men, they lash out and tear her to pieces. I am so done with Daniel's out-sized ego. He wants to write supporting tracks, which means the beat is supposed to SUPPORT the artist it's written for. Khalil told him explicitly that the artist prefers heavy bass and for the track not to outshine his mumble rap lyrical prowess. He didn't even make that many adjustments to Daniel's track! Khalil really extended a hand out to a friend and Daniel spit in his face, and then has the nerve to be mad when called out on it.  That track was all about how clever Daniel is about mixing instrumentation, where an artist supposed to fit in between all of that? Rolling eyes at the idea of apologizing too *steam comes out ears*.

Molly, just because professional looks a little different than before doesn't mean you can be casual. If she had started a new job at struggle white firm, she would have 100% zipped her mouth and made none of those unnecessary 'at my old job' comments. She said she was aggressive in negotiations and they caved on everything she asked for, so she could at least try to come in without her nose stuck in the air. 

Issa better take that job, apply to the music program, and drop Daniel immediately. He clearly has no respect for her or for boundaries generally. Throwing a snit fit at your girl for not wanting to be one argument away from being homeless is some toxic and controlling bullshit. 

• Love 13

Molly definitely did the right thing leaving her old firm. They knew she was unhappy and they tried to placate her with a bullshit certificate. She'd have been having the same money compensation with her old firm every six months. She'd gone as far as she could go. Same with Issa and We Got Y'all. She's doing LESS of the work she wants to be doing after five years, and the interview clearly caused her to realize she'd just been stagnating.

Molly with "my old firm" reminded me of one of my least favorite former bosses, who left a place where she had a lot more resources to come where we worked. The team was smaller, she didn't have an assistant, etc. She was CONSTANTLY on the "At [Old Employer], we did x" thing and nobody liked it or her. She only lasted a year; one of the more plain-spoken people at the company said "Good riddance" once she was gone. I think people will forgive a little of that in your first days, and saying "At my old company we did this in that situation, could we try that here?" is a little different, but people will get very tired of Molly if she keeps it up. It seems like she got the message. (Those boxes in her office were wack though.)

5 hours ago, rozen said:

Hoo, a study in contrasts. Issa's girlfriends drag each other for filth, but they can accept the advice is meant well and move on. But every time Issa tells the truth to These Men, they lash out and tear her to pieces. I am so done with Daniel's out-sized ego. He wants to write supporting tracks, which means the beat is supposed to SUPPORT the artist it's written for. Khalil told him explicitly that the artist prefers heavy bass and for the track not to outshine his mumble rap lyrical prowess. He didn't even make that many adjustments to Daniel's track! Khalil really extended a hand out to a friend and Daniel spit in his face, and then has the nerve to be mad when called out on it.  That track was all about how clever Daniel is about mixing instrumentation, where an artist supposed to fit in between all of that? Rolling eyes at the idea of apologizing too *steam comes out ears*.

Molly, just because professional looks a little different than before doesn't mean you can be casual. If she had started a new job at struggle white firm, she would have 100% zipped her mouth and made none of those unnecessary 'at my old job' comments. She said she was aggressive in negotiations and they caved on everything she asked for, so she could at least try to come in without her nose stuck in the air. 

Issa better take that job, apply to the music program, and drop Daniel immediately. He clearly has no respect for her or for boundaries generally. Throwing a snit fit at your girl for not wanting to be one argument away from being homeless is some toxic and controlling bullshit. 

Agreed. That argument was a big red flag. Not wanting her to leave in and of itself was a huge red flag. Daniel seems to do what he wants to do and doesn't feel like anyone can question him.

"Trina got problems." I'm guessing Trina is going to be this complex's answer to the Crip who wouldn't use words that started with B.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Molly definitely did the right thing leaving her old firm. They knew she was unhappy and they tried to placate her with a bullshit certificate. She'd have been having the same money compensation with her old firm every six months. She'd gone as far as she could go. Same with Issa and We Got Y'all. She's doing LESS of the work she wants to be doing after five years, and the interview clearly caused her to realize she'd just been stagnating.

Molly with "my old firm" reminded me of one of my least favorite former bosses, who left a place where she had a lot more resources to come where we worked. The team was smaller, she didn't have an assistant, etc. She was CONSTANTLY on the "At [Old Employer], we did x" thing and nobody liked it or her. She only lasted a year; one of the more plain-spoken people at the company said "Good riddance" once she was gone. I think people will forgive a little of that in your first days, and saying "At my old company we did this in that situation, could we try that here?" is a little different, but people will get very tired of Molly if she keeps it up. It seems like she got the message. (Those boxes in her office were wack though.)

Agreed. That argument was a big red flag. Not wanting her to leave in and of itself was a huge red flag. Daniel seems to do what he wants to do and doesn't feel like anyone can question him.

"Trina got problems." I'm guessing Trina is going to be this complex's answer to the Crip who wouldn't use words that started with B.

Lol! I think he was a blood that didn’t use C words! Anyway I miss him, he used to crack me up!!

• Love 2

My two favorite funny moments this week: Issa eating a doggie dessert and then sputtering about how it had frosting on it and Spyder getting mad at one of his guys for watching This Is Us instead of paying attention to him.

While I understand that it takes time to adjust to a new job, Molly really needs to learn how to fly under the radar. Those first few weeks when you're the new person, people ARE watching and listening. Do you really want to come off as the spoiled brat who needs to do everything the same way her old firm used to? The way she kept talking about what they used to do at her old firm reminded me of people who go on first dates and then spend half the time talking about their exes. If you ex was so great, feel free to go back to them! Otherwise, focus on what's in front of you.

Just because her new firm does things differently doesn't mean that her old firm was better. She's just used to doing things a certain way but she needs to accept that her new firm has different people, different procedures, and different quirks. And look at the trade off - would you like to trade electronic signatures for being passed over for a promotion in favor of some douchebro who does half the work you do?

Having storage boxes in her office is the only legit complaint I think she has right now, but as someone who has had to store other people's crap in my office in the past, sometimes that's what happens when your company grows and starts running low on office space. There's just that time when the people in charge have to figure out whether they're going to look for an entirely new space, reconfigure the existing space, or come up with another solution.

Even though that apartment manager job is probably going to be a nightmare, I'm glad Issa is finally getting out of Daniel's apartment. She convinced herself that because they were finally getting along, this could turn into more (and what about that girl he was sleeping with in the last episode? Did they break up?). If that's ever going to happen, she needs to get out of there and have her own space so that she isn't dependent on him so early in their relationship (well, the newest iteration of their relationship). I loved that Molly, Kelli, and Tiffany were 100% against it and had no qualms about telling her flat out that she shouldn't even be thinking about getting into a relationship with Daniel. If anything, she needs to focus on getting the rest of her life together first. She needs to get her own place and get a different job.

I'm really glad that the job fair thing ended up bringing her a new opportunity. The one thing she liked about her job was helping kids and now she doesn't get to do that, so what's the point in staying? Aside from the paycheck, of course. The music program sounds awesome!

Daniel needs to get over himself. He's not some musical genius who is releasing solo masterpieces. He's laying down tracks for other people to rap over, so of course he should listen to someone who has worked with Spyder before about what he wants in his music. It's not at all surprising that Spyder would want his rapping to take center stage. Khalil was kind enough to bring Daniel into the studio and give him the opportunity to work on a track for Spyder and instead of trying to create something that his client wants, Daniel had to let his ego get in the way again. The other week, Daniel complained, "I got good and Khalil got famous." Maybe that's because Khalil knows how to collaborate and give people what they want. If Daniel wants to rap over Nordic flutes, more power to him but if he is going to present music to other artists to use, then he needs to give them what THEY want to use, not what Daniel wants to create. It seems like Daniel is the one constantly getting in his own way of success.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 17
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

My two favorite funny moments this week: Issa eating a doggie dessert and then sputtering about how it had frosting on it and Spyder getting mad at one of his guys for watching This Is Us instead of paying attention to him.

While I understand that it takes time to adjust to a new job, Molly really needs to learn how to fly under the radar. Those first few weeks when you're the new person, people ARE watching and listening. Do you really want to come off as the spoiled brat who needs to do everything the same way her old firm used to? The way she kept talking about what they used to do at her old firm reminded me of people who go on first dates and then spend half the time talking about their exes. If you ex was so great, feel free to go back to them! Otherwise, focus on what's in front of you.

Just because her new firm does things differently doesn't mean that her old firm was better. She's just used to doing things a certain way but she needs to accept that her new firm has different people, different procedures, and different quirks. And look at the trade off - would you like to trade electronic signatures for being passed over for a promotion in favor of some douchebro who does half the work you do?

Having storage boxes in her office is the only legit complaint I think she has right now, but as someone who has had to store other people's crap in my office in the past, sometimes that's what happens when your company grows and starts running low on office space. There's just that time when the people in charge have to figure out whether they're going to look for an entirely new space, reconfigure the existing space, or come up with another solution.

Even though that apartment manager job is probably going to be a nightmare, I'm glad Issa is finally getting out of Daniel's apartment. She convinced herself that because they were finally getting along, this could turn into more (and what about that girl he was sleeping with in the last episode? Did they break up?). If that's ever going to happen, she needs to get out of there and have her own space so that she isn't dependent on him so early in their relationship (well, the newest iteration of their relationship). I loved that Molly, Kelli, and Tiffany were 100% against it and had no qualms about telling her flat out that she shouldn't even be thinking about getting into a relationship with Daniel. If anything, she needs to focus on getting the rest of her life together first. She needs to get her own place and get a different job.

I'm really glad that the job fair thing ended up bringing her a new opportunity. The one thing she liked about her job was helping kids and now she doesn't get to do that, so what's the point in staying? Aside from the paycheck, of course. The music program sounds awesome!

Daniel needs to get over himself. He's not some musical genius who is releasing solo masterpieces. He's laying down tracks for other people to rap over, so of course he should listen to someone who has worked with Spyder before about what he wants in his music. It's not at all surprising that Spyder would want his rapping to take center stage. Khalil was kind enough to bring Daniel into the studio and give him the opportunity to work on a track for Spyder and instead of trying to create something that his client wants, Daniel had to let his ego get in the way again. The other week, Daniel complained, "I got good and Khalil got famous." Maybe that's because Khalil knows how to collaborate and give people what they want. If Daniel wants to rap over Nordic flutes, more power to him but if he is going to present music to other artists to use, then he needs to give them what THEY want to use, not what Daniel wants to create. It seems like Daniel is the one constantly getting in his own way of success.

7 hours ago, rozen said:

Khalil was just trying to do Daniel a favor and the only suggestion he made was to bring the drums up. No wonder Daniel has not really reached any level of success in all these years...the man refuses to budge an inch. He is the type of creative that is so in love with his own "genius" that he refuses to even consider being a team player.

Daniel considers himself so superior to Khalil, who he probably considers a "sell out"...but the truth is that he needs Khalil's help. The music game is harsh and you do not get a lot of first, let alone second chances.

I like Issa's girls. I really like that even though they are tight, not any of them offered for Issa to live with them. We all know Molly and Issa had a vase situation and the other girls are smart enough to know that rooming with couch surfing Issa would probably end their relationship. I hated when Lyn would totally sponge off Joan for years on Girlfriendsand the show would act like it was cute.

• Love 5
17 minutes ago, qtpye said:

Khalil was just trying to do Daniel a favor and the only suggestion he made was to bring the drums up. No wonder Daniel has not really reached any level of success in all these years...the man refuses to budge an inch. He is the type of creative that is so in love with his own "genius" that he refuses to even consider being a team player.

Daniel considers himself so superior to Khalil, who he probably considers a "sell out"...but the truth is that he needs Khalil's help. The music game is harsh and you do not get a lot of first, let alone second chances.

I like Issa's girls. I really like that even though they are tight, not any of them offered for Issa to live with them. We all know Molly and Issa had a vase situation and the other girls are smart enough to know that rooming with couch surfing Issa would probably end their relationship. I hated when Lyn would totally sponge off Joan for years on Girlfriendsand the show would act like it was cute.

Don't get me started. I hated Lyn - I'd never have been friends with her in the first place. Lazy-ass mooch. I loved when Maya, who has had none of the opportunities that Lyn had but was still out here trying to make something of herself, told Lyn straight up that Lyn was lazy and Maya didn't respect her.

I loved that last episode, Kelli was like, don't even fix your mouth to ask me to co-sign your shit. I wouldn't cosign anything for someone with a 425 credit score. Tiffany is pregnant and doesn't need the stress of a houseguest when she's trying to get ready for a baby. I WOULD kind of like to see Kelli's apartment though.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The other week, Daniel complained, "I got good and Khalil got famous." Maybe that's because Khalil knows how to collaborate and give people what they want. If Daniel wants to rap over Nordic flutes, more power to him but if he is going to present music to other artists to use, then he needs to give them what THEY want to use, not what Daniel wants to create. It seems like Daniel is the one constantly getting in his own way of success.

3 hours ago, qtpye said:

Daniel's interactions with people in the business over the past 2 episodes tells me everything I need to know about why he hasn't made it yet as a producer.  He is stubborn and spiteful as hell.  Khalil is willing to help him out and he just ignores him and then has the nerve to be pissed.  And last episode, he showed that he wasn't willing to humble himself enough to do the networking that is necessary to get through the door (not just in the music business, but in a lot of jobs/career sectors nowadays), until Issa pushed him to it.  If he's not willing to learn, then what's the point, especially when everything he's been doing up to this point has not been working.

I don't think Issa is passionless about her job.  Non-profit work is so hard and taxing for so little pay.  It's easy to get burned out and lose excitement, especially when it feels like you're not valued.  And you tend to go through the stages of being gung-ho and all in to being like "I'm just here to do what I gotta do until 5:00/the weekend hits and I don't care".  (I'm currently in the latter mood at my non-profit job right now....).  At this point, she definitely should be exploring other options like the Beat network, especially if it more closely aligns with what she wants to do.  

• Love 8

I feel like Issa probably started out really enjoying her job, but is having serious burn out, both because non-profit work is tough (which is why a lot of people who work in those go from job to job), and because the job itself is kinds of...problematic. She clearly has one foot out the door, looking at that other job, but I am sure that, like with Molly, she will realize when she gets there that every job has its pros and cons. She really should think about leaving her job though. She really seems unhappy there, and its clear she isnt going anywhere upward while there.

Daniel really needs to check his damn ego if he wants to get any further in the industry. He seems to be spiteful towards the whole industry and everyone who made it, even people who are trying to help him. And, of course, he gets defensive and pissed off when someone, especially Issa, gives him legit advice. 

I could watch a whole side show of Issa, Molly, Tiffany, and Kelli just chatting about their lives. 

• Love 7

I'm not sure why I'm not really feeling this season so far.  I find myself multitasking while it's on--it held my full attention in previous seasons.

Molly got ony last nerve with that, “At my old firm...". Uhhhh...if it was so great there, why did you leave?  

15 hours ago, scrb said:

I couldn't keep up with all of the convo when the girls got together.  It was funny but I probably need to turn on CC, which wasn't available on HBO Go when I watched.

This!!  When they're being especially "quippy," I really have to concentrate on the dialog.  Issa & Molly's Black Valley Girl accents are a lil' much  too.  Hoping the season picks up.

• Love 2

Daniel really needs to check his damn ego if he wants to get any further in the industry. He seems to be spiteful towards the whole industry and everyone who made it, even people who are trying to help him. And, of course, he gets defensive and pissed off when someone, especially Issa, gives him legit advice. 

This. Look, I get that ego is a motherfucker. He worked hard on his Nordic track, and Khalil tweaked it. Khalil didn't do that to shit on him. He was trying to give him pointers as to what Spyder, his client, wanted. But in Daniel's mind, getting his track changed up meant that Khalil was trying to step on him and lowkey call his work trash.

Molly, sis, I'm going to need for you to be strategic. I completely understand the bafflement at the firm being in the dark ages, technology-wise. But you juuuust got there. Go with the flow until you can speak to the senior partners about upgrading things.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, Empress1 said:

You're right - he said "Brauliflower," I think. My bad!

His daughter said her favorite her favorite food was bauliflower soup (which Issa said was sad). I fell out when he said "Bleenex" and "Blorox."

12 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Don't get me started. I hated Lyn - I'd never have been friends with her in the first place. Lazy-ass mooch. I loved when Maya, who has had none of the opportunities that Lyn had but was still out here trying to make something of herself, told Lyn straight up that Lyn was lazy and Maya didn't respect her.

I loved that last episode, Kelli was like, don't even fix your mouth to ask me to co-sign your shit. I wouldn't cosign anything for someone with a 425 credit score. Tiffany is pregnant and doesn't need the stress of a houseguest when she's trying to get ready for a baby. I WOULD kind of like to see Kelli's apartment though.

Add me to the We Hate Lynn Club. And Lynn started to rub off on Maya later. I hated them both when they only went to Joan's restaurant for free food even though she was struggling to keep they doors open. They had horrible attitudes when it was suggested that they should pay for their frequent meals.

I love Kelli and the actress that plays her since it was revealed that she improvises a lot of her lines. Tiffany is annoying and the actress that plays her irritates me as well. I love that the other 3 have a group chat without her.

Initially, I was rooting for Daniel and Issa but it's a no for me after hearing the jab he took at her regarding her career. She offered him some very sound advice and has been very supportive of him. I guess he forgot that she was the reason he even had the opportunity to work with Spyder and Khalil in the first place. Hopefully, Issa makes the jump The Beat Crew. It may end up having its issues but anything is better than We Got Y'all. 

Molly's "my old firm" comments wore thin pretty quickly, especially coming to a black firm from a white one. Her jokes were also unprofessional and I cringed when she mentioned CP time. I get that working with people who look like her provides a sense of comfort, but damn, don't get too comfortable.

I have to watch this show on CC...got tired of rewinding.

Edited by Jodie Landon
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, healthnut said:

This is a comedy, right?

My thoughts exactly. This show does really short seasons and I feel like we've been trodding the same "Issa is unhappy at work and needs to find a more creative profession" ground for all three seasons. Enough already, it's a bummer. If she's not in a new job by the end of the season I will be fed up. And more Kelli, she's the only funny one on the show!