Type keyword(s) to search

Lodge 49 - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Yes, Ernie and Dud have bonded over Lamar's books - specifically the audio book that Ernie has in the Cadillac.

I always feel that Liz is in her own Lodge.  She's been shown to be like a Knight (winning the shopping cart joust) and a Sovereign Protector.  But she has the worst luck at picking jobs.  Is the toilet supply place a third lodge?

• Love 4
2 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

Curse my failing memory!  Have Dud or Ernie mentioned Lamar before?  I don't recall them talking about the authors they enjoy, but they must have. 

Love that they're all hitting the road, and Ernie's rationale makes sense to me: When you've been losing all your life, what you do doesn't matter, so do what makes you feel good.  (Or something like that.)

Love that Ernie's boss supports them too. 

Didn't they listen to his audio tapes in the caddy?

• Love 2
21 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

Curse my failing memory!  Have Dud or Ernie mentioned Lamar before?  I don't recall them talking about the authors they enjoy, but they must have.

There was the episode where they went to his book signing but learned he'd jumped headfirst through the glass.  Also, I believe Dud and El Confidente had a conversation about the author when El Confidente suspected he was a lodge member. 

I still have all the episodes recorded and tried to confirm this, but I couldn't figure out which episodes to search.  I only remember this much because I recently watched them all.  My memory's not so hot either.

Edited by alrightythen
  • Love 2

So now everyone is off to Mexico looking for the scrolls! We are basically one talking dog away from Wacky Races! Or possibly The Amazing Race: Lynx edition. 

Paul Giamatti is a great addition to the cast, he really brings a manic, swaggering energy to the series, and its a great way to tie a bunch of plots all together. I remember Ernie and Dud bonding over mutual love of his books, they sound like they sure are...something. Plus he publishes erotic romance novels under a pen name, he just cant stop writing brilliant work! 

So I am guessing that it is Janet's plane that was going down in the flash-forward at the start of the season, and that she was the one in the suit jumping out with the parachute. But maybe not, I have no idea what is going to happen next, I am just loving the ride! 

Even if the dont find anything on this quest, thats really not what actually matters, its the belief in something greater than one person or time, its about all of these people and times and places all being brought together! Blaise needs something to discover and to search for, and this trip will hopefully bring him back from the brink. I dont think that the true lodge has anything to do with the hallow earth idea...but what do I know? 

"I think he would feel better if he just ejaculated." "He is even more handsome than I imagined!" Lots of great lines this week, it was nice to get a more comedic episode after last weeks heaviness. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

I really think this show has run its course, and the season finale should be the series finale.

It does seem like everyone is in a good place, but I'd miss this show. 

There's still the question of Dud and Liz's father -- is he really dead?  There was no body. 

I'd like to know what's in the scrolls, but I'd also be okay if they couldn't be translated. 

Gotta laugh at Lamar hauling that typewriter around.  Those bitches are heavy. 

• Love 4
On 10/8/2019 at 9:39 AM, Ohwell said:

I really think this show has run its course, and the season finale should be the series finale.

Couldn’t agree less. I love the world they’ve created and want to explore it more. What was Orbis' really doing? Is their dad dead? What is Liz's destiny? So many wonderful characters. I want to know them all even better. 

• Love 8

Auctions: Places filled with spies, oligarchs, and guys with eye patches. And then low and behold a guy with an eye patch!

So we finally get to the start of the season, AND we get the scrolls! At long last! It seems like everyone is in a good place now, so where do we go from here? Really, I just love these characters and this world, and I love exploring it. So much went down this week! The paintings get more specific, Dud and Liz are finally on a quest together, Lamar finally ejaculates then ditches Ernie and Dud because, as it turns out, he cant actually fly a plane just because his character can, his French muse sang an amazing song and made the eye patch man cry, Paul F. Thompkins showed up, Ernie is a superstar stealing bowling bags, while he and Scott make peace and he has Ernie's back with some sweet football moves, and apparently Lodge 49 is about to get attacked by dragons. 

I really liked having so many characters together, seeing so many characters from so many disparate story-lines all together and interacting was really fun, I kept wishing that Liz's work buddies would show up next.

Its a quest AND a vacation! Its a questcation!

• Love 10
7 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Auctions: Places filled with spies, oligarchs, and guys with eye patches. And then low and behold a guy with an eye patch!

So we finally get to the start of the season, AND we get the scrolls! At long last! It seems like everyone is in a good place now, so where do we go from here? Really, I just love these characters and this world, and I love exploring it. So much went down this week! The paintings get more specific, Dud and Liz are finally on a quest together, Lamar finally ejaculates then ditches Ernie and Dud because, as it turns out, he cant actually fly a plane just because his character can, his French muse sang an amazing song and made the eye patch man cry, Paul F. Thompkins showed up, Ernie is a superstar stealing bowling bags, while he and Scott make peace and he has Ernie's back with some sweet football moves, and apparently Lodge 49 is about to get attacked by dragons. 

I really liked having so many characters together, seeing so many characters from so many disparate story-lines all together and interacting was really fun, I kept wishing that Liz's work buddies would show up next.

Its a quest AND a vacation! Its a questcation!

I love this post with all my heart. 😍 And, I wish I was a Lynx. 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, MJS said:

Couldn’t agree less. I love the world they’ve created and want to explore it more. What was Orbis' really doing? Is their dad dead? What is Liz's destiny? So many wonderful characters. I want to know them all even better. 

Yeah, differing opinions.

• Love 1

The show is amusing because we have some very flawed and somewhat boring people caught up in a fantasy story behind the lodge. The problem we have is that the lodge story is getting so deep into BS that it can't be answered until the show is over or there is nothing left for the characters.

• Love 1

I'm so happy that Liz finally met up with the gang from the Lodge!  I really think that will be beneficial to her and to them.  

Re the hollow-Earth theory:  Do you supposed the head of Janet's costume figures into that in any way?  (Did it survive being on fire and parachuting out of the plane?)

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

Well, never mind.  I didn't realize until after reading a review that what looked like a bundle of laundry falling out of that second story door was actually Dud.  I thought they were leaving Dud buried in the mud.

• Love 2

I am so sad this season is over. I love spending time with these kind, loyal, and loving people. 

Plus I love the mystery!

I'd give anything to join the Long Beach lodge...

• Love 6
11 hours ago, MJS said:

I am so sad this season is over. I love spending time with these kind, loyal, and loving people. 

Plus I love the mystery!

I'd give anything to join the Long Beach lodge...

I agree wholeheartedly with your post!

I watched the last 2 episodes together last night. The next to last episode that ended in Mexico with almost everyone on the beach would have been a fine season finale. Or so I thought. The season finale was great! 

And finally Liz stopped annoying me. She has been my least favorite character with her sad sack ways since the beginning but she was finally allowed to have fun in the past 2 episodes.

• Love 2

So if it's Dud falling out of the door at the end of the episode wouldn't he sustain a lot of damage falling flat onto his back from a height like that?  Or maybe that's his deal - he can never be without some sort of disabling injury?

Edited by bigmag
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, bigmag said:

So if it's Dud falling out of the door at the end of the episode wouldn't he sustain a lot of damage falling flat onto his back from a height like that?  Or maybe that's his deal - he can never be without some sort of disabling injury?

He's pretty lucky he didn't suffocate/drown, so . . . .

1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

So Dud was dreaming that he was digging the pool?

Not sure, when he fell out of the 2nd story door to nowhere there was a bunch of dirt that fell before him cushioning the fall. Plus he was knocked out which could be explained by the lightning strike if it was real.

Well, I got through this season but this show just too whimsical and "out there" for my taste.  Plus, I'm tired of Dud being a dud and being injured all the time.

I guess it's an interesting show for non-traditional looking character actors who like being quirky, and it's nice these actors are getting work, but the acting isn't that great. 

ETA:  It's as if Paul Giamatti rounded up a bunch of his unemployed actor friends.  

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Ohwell said:

So Dud was dreaming that he was digging the pool?

I think Dud was digging outside his camper, but he mistakenly dug into one of the secret tunnels that connected to the Lodge.  We were primed for this by Scott's earlier emergence from just such a tunnel in someone's backyard.

What I don't understand is why no one had ever forced open that 2nd story door to see where it led.  I bet Liz would have if she had been a member.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, bigmag said:

What I don't understand is why the door that leads to nowhere wasn't kept LOCKED!  But that would make too much sense, I guess......

So digging a hole in the dirt and falling down it only to come out of a second story door made sense to you?

Even if the door was unlocked you still need to twist the handle to open it.

• Love 1

The lightning strike reminded me of the gimmick in the movie "Yesterday". Some sort of big strike erased certain things from existence and memory: Beatles, cigarettes, Coke, etc. Something was playing hobbs with Liz's memory - she had strong feelings of deja vu. Then the lightning struck, and I think that changed or restored the course of events and memories in some way. (These writers feel free to borrow from other movies/TV. And this is a good thing here.) 

So, maybe if there is a new season, Liz will be the established squire and Dud will have little interest in and no memories of the Lodge.

Edited by Pike Ludwell
  • Love 1

I love this show, its quirky and whimsical and but grounded in an often tough reality. Its about the struggles of decent normal people trying to find meaning and fulfillment in life while also paying the bills in a society which often makes that difficult. Its about finding some mystery left in a world that seems thoroughly explored. I really hope we get another season, there are still so many mysteries left unsolved! 

Great to see Dud and Liz finally make their peace with the ocean...without a shark showing up! So will Dud have new knowledge now that he was struck by lighting?! The Lodge works in mysteries ways!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

I love this show, its quirky and whimsical and but grounded in an often tough reality. Its about the struggles of decent normal people trying to find meaning and fulfillment in life while also paying the bills in a society which often makes that difficult. Its about finding some mystery left in a world that seems thoroughly explored. I really hope we get another season, there are still so many mysteries left unsolved! 

Great to see Dud and Liz finally make their peace with the ocean...without a shark showing up! So will Dud have new knowledge now that he was struck by lighting?! The Lodge works in mysteries ways!

I love your take on it. It is how I feel about this wonderful show.

• Love 3

"It's all just a zig zag to nowhere". Great line! And "I'm going down the chute". I know she's a bit of a drag but, man, I'm feeling her.

On epi 2 of season 2. Diggin it!

Edited by Lamima
  • Love 1

So I am now through season 2 epi 7. But there is no epi 8 on demand, 7 and 9 and 10. I hate cable these days. I think it's intentional. 

Anyway, the show...it is getting a bit tedious. Not a fan of the constant 'down on your luck' bit that everyone has. Just bottom of the pit of despair. It is getting old. EVERY single character...all the time. Life is really not THAT bad.

And nobody bettering their situation. Like why are all those folks still going into High Steaks if their paychecks bounced. Cold day in hell that I'd go back to work after that. Well, no, I would go back to demand my earned money and then if no money, I'd walk out. But the show showed them all there for work a couple times after no paychecks. Strange.

Just not reality. How does Dud, who is NOT working more than he IS working, eat? How does Blaize eat when he hasn't had his shop (or another job) in a long long time. Connie hasn't worked in a long time either, what was she doing? Maybe living off savings. 

I liked the show early on because it was more up than down and the down always led to an up. But season 2 is all down down down (at least episodes 6 and 7). And another part that was lame was the Jackie Loomis stuff. BORING and dumb. I guess, though, we needed some backstory. Just wish it weren't such trope like. Or not trope but forced to fit some, um, agenda. I don't know how to say it. But I didn't like the Jackie Loomis bit.

Also feel bad that Dud is so attached to Ernie while Ernie doesn't seem to really care about Dud. Sad. 

Edited by Lamima
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, Lamima said:

So I am now through season 2 epi 7. But there is no epi 8 on demand, 7 and 9 and 10. I hate cable these days. I think it's intentional. 

Have you checked directly on the AMC website?  Sometimes they make you log in with cable/satellite credentials but since you mentioned on-demand and cable, I assume you have those.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

Have you checked directly on the AMC website?  Sometimes they make you log in with cable/satellite credentials but since you mentioned on-demand and cable, I assume you have those.

I watched today. Just paid $1.99 for prime video.

9 minutes ago, Lamima said:

I watched today. Just paid $1.99 for prime video.

Ok cool. It just seems like if you have a cable or satellite plan that already includes AMC, you should be able to watch old episodes without having to pay again. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Ok cool. It just seems like if you have a cable or satellite plan that already includes AMC, you should be able to watch old episodes without having to pay again. 

I have Spectrum cable with AMC and on demand. But it seems every show I watch has 1 episode missing on demand. I like to binge watch things and it's a pain when you get to that missing epi. I usually have to find it as a re-run later and set to record it. So then it stalls my binge watching. ANd just now I went to watch epi 9, on demand, and it's not working. Ugghh....effin cable.

Edited by Lamima
11 hours ago, Lamima said:

I have Spectrum cable with AMC and on demand. But it seems every show I watch has 1 episode missing on demand. I like to binge watch things and it's a pain when you get to that missing epi. I usually have to find it as a re-run later and set to record it. So then it stalls my binge watching. ANd just now I went to watch epi 9, on demand, and it's not working. Ugghh....effin cable.

What I was trying to say is, you can go straight to the AMC.com website on your computer (or the AMC app on a smart tv, etc.) and watch episodes of shows.  It may ask you to sign in with your cable id/password, but you obviously have that.  At least that works for me.  I have cable but no on-demand, and I've done that on several networks this season (AMC, POP, HGTV, CBS...)

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

What I was trying to say is, you can go straight to the AMC.com website on your computer (or the AMC app on a smart tv, etc.) and watch episodes of shows.  It may ask you to sign in with your cable id/password, but you obviously have that.  At least that works for me.  I have cable but no on-demand, and I've done that on several networks this season (AMC, POP, HGTV, CBS...)

Ah, okay. Good to know since there is always an epi missing. Thanks!

Edited by Lamima

All watched. Epis 8-10 were good...9 was really good. 

Are there only 10? I thought I read some posts that went beyond what I saw on 10? Like what happened after Dud fell into the mud in the hole he dug. And who fell out the mysterious 2nd story door at the Lodge? I need to go back and read all the posts. I tried to avoid until I was done watching. Yep, still love the show. 

Edit to add: read posts and I get it now. Dud fell into tunnel and through door at the Lodge. I think this is about the hollow earth thing. Same with post below about Liz and Dud. 

Edited by Lamima
  • Love 1
On 10/17/2019 at 3:18 PM, Pike Ludwell said:

The lightning strike reminded me of the gimmick in the movie "Yesterday". Some sort of big strike erased certain things from existence and memory: Beatles, cigarettes, Coke, etc. Something was playing hobbs with Liz's memory - she had strong feelings of deja vu. Then the lightning struck, and I think that changed or restored the course of events and memories in some way. (These writers feel free to borrow from other movies/TV. And this is a good thing here.) 

So, maybe if there is a new season, Liz will be the established squire and Dud will have little interest in and no memories of the Lodge.

I think you're right. Wasn't Liz told that twins are supposed to be opposite places but one twin stays with other as protector and gives up their own destiny??? Or something like that. So now they've flipped and Dud is the one not where he's supposed to be and is Liz's protector.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Lamima said:

Awwwww. Still get season 3 or no?

Nope, unless they shop it around and get a buyer. I think sesaon 2 had something like 130K viewers down 40% from season 1 which wasn't widely watched either.