Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E11: Philadelphia City Finals

• Start Topic

We start with Michelle Warnky falling on the eighth obstacle, with a split screen of Akbar trying to will her through it. And we're not even past the ten-minute mark!

Tonight: James "The Beast" McGrath! Najee "The Phoenix" Richardson! Jamie "Why Can't We Call Him 'Captain Ninja?'" Rann!

ETA: "Rahn"with an "H." Also, his wedding had 47 ninjas. Awesome.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 3

And Jamie Rahn's story had an identified sightings of Geoff Britten in Denver at the new Ninja studio where Jamie is working. 

In the ANW book, there was a mention that Britten was working with the franchise designing and testing obstacles. 

• Love 2

I was surprised they didn't change up the first half of the course beyond the Arrow steps. And equally surprised to see one of the women go out on the first obstacle. *ouch* I suspect her head was already thinking of the next obstacles and she didn't quite set her landing on the 'trivial' first obstacle. 

The lightning bolts were a surprising killer still; I didn't remember them being that bad the first time but this time they took out more than half the competition; the 14th or 15th that got in went out on the lightning bolts.

The Captain's wheel felt like a great new challenge, and in the right spot. I probably wouldn't have put the knob grabber obstacle after it; that's a lot of hand strength for 2-3 obstacles in a row. 

Gratz on the two women making it through, and doing better than at least 5+ other guys IIRC. (Sorry, the Wiki isn't updated yet with the standings). They did a great showing on the Captains Wheel too. Considering the 3rd women went out on the Lightning bolts, we damn near had 3 women make it in the Top 15 this time; I hope they have the fire hoses ready to hose off Matt and Ackbar when that eventually happens. :) 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Taeolas said:

I was surprised they didn't change up the first half of the course beyond the Arrow steps.....

The lightning bolts were a surprising killer still....

Same. I thought that, since so many went out on lightning bolts the first time around, they’d change that obstacle out for city finals. But maybe that wasn’t feasible with the tight filming schedule. 

• Love 1

The reason women can't finish city finals courses is because the designers have a hard-on for putting several ridiculous upper body and grip obstacles in a row. There are probably 10 women who could easily complete the same course Kacy did.

Michelle Warnky is so RIPPED. And I'm happy for Alyssa that she finally got shorts that didn't require constant wedgie-fixing.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Taeolas said:

And equally surprised to see one of the women go out on the first obstacle.

Two women actually, Casey R and Ninja Babe. Poor Casey R, if she had duplicated her performance from qualifiers she would have been in the Top 15. I guess Philly is the weak field this year, like St. Louis last year, where people actually made it to Vegas that went out on the fifth obstacle.

Glad the Beast & Michelle are headed back to Vegas this year after missing out last year.

• Love 1

Alyssa Beird and Michelle Warnky rocked it!  I loved the segment with the whining kids who were fighting over who got to play Alyssa in their "Let's Pretend" game.  LOL.

Nice runs from Jamie Rahn, James McGrath, and Najee Richardson.  In general, I'm finding the Finals courses to be much less frustrating this year, although I'm wondering how some of the smaller, petite women ninjas like Barclay or Alyssa would have coped with the doors on the Spider Climb.  A hundred pounds is a lot to lift with your upper body anyway, and to do it while wedged in that space seems super-hard.

• Love 2

Gotta suck when you do well in the prelims, then proceed to wipe out on the first obstacle.

I think Chris is the only person wearing team gear from Ninja vs. Ninja. Then again, I think “Lab Rats” stuff can be gotten easily, since it would come from the run by Chris, brother Brian, and Michelle.

14 hours ago, LadyNebula said:

I'm starting to think that Matt and Akbar are contractually obligated to mention Kacy at least once every episode. Perhaps there's a producer off-screen pointing a gun at them. 

That’s not on her though, right? I dunno . . . maybe when baseball was being integrated, people would alwYs bring up Jackie Robinson. I know, not the best parallel.

If they’re gonna do footage during commercials, I’d rather have slow-motion footage, like in NvN.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, LadyNebula said:

I'm starting to think that Matt and Akbar are contractually obligated to mention Kacy at least once every episode. Perhaps there's a producer off-screen pointing a gun at them. 

Which is why we NEED a woman to beat the finals course next years.   Then she won’t be the only one to do it.  Regardless of the fact the course was a lot easier she still is the only female to do it.  Once she isn’t her name will be mentioned ALOT less.  

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

Which is why we NEED a woman to beat the finals course next years.   Then she won’t be the only one to do it.  Regardless of the fact the course was a lot easier she still is the only female to do it.  Once she isn’t her name will be mentioned ALOT less.  

I don't even think the course was easy, it was just hard in a different way from their current "destroy their forearms at all cost" method of course design. They've made the back halves of city finals into mini Stage 3s!

• Love 3

Anyone else wincing when James (I think it was him) pinched his fingers on the doors on the spider climb? Yeouch! Looked like the panels are just wide enough for the hands normally, but it did look like it hurt. While it is a great 9th Obstacle, it'll probably be changed again next year. Even if it comes back it'll probably get some tweeks to make it safer. 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Taeolas said:

Anyone else wincing when James (I think it was him) pinched his fingers on the doors on the spider climb? Yeouch! Looked like the panels are just wide enough for the hands normally, but it did look like it hurt. While it is a great 9th Obstacle, it'll probably be changed again next year. Even if it comes back it'll probably get some tweeks to make it safer. 

Yes! They should change the name from Spider Trap to Death Trap. Between this and Kevin Bull almost decapitating himself, I think this was one of the most poorly-conceived obstacles in ANW history.

• Love 2

Random thought while watching...

Dave Cavanaugh.  Matt said "getting a wave from his wife", I heard getting away from his wife.  Had to rewind to hear that one.  He's one of the elites and STILL has to spend 22 days in a walk on line?  Damn, give the man an invite next year.

I guess if you don't live with Dreschel anymore you don't get a full time run, poor McGrath.  And that hand pinch looked painful.

Sassy recovery?  Come on Akbar.

Rahn went natural for his wedding.  Interesting.  He didn't look like himself, at least not how we, the viewers see him.  Glad he hit the buzzer.

Casey Rothchild. Sorry, not sorry.  Didn't really like her earlier.  Was it nerves or confidence that did her in?

Lucas Reale.  That guy is only 19?  Looks at least 10 years older.  He can buy the beer for The Kid.

Surprised the knee guy (Kreglow) is not wearing some kind of brace. 

Bernardo just pisses me off.  Too much BRO for my taste.  Still, it's hard to see a vet not make it to the wall.  Although, when he is being real, he does seem like a good guy.  I wish he'd drop the sceaming and grunting.

Najee is still one of my favorites.  I like everything about him.  He's easy on the eyes and seems like such a nice, compassionate, humble guy.

Edited by Destiny74
  • Love 2
On 8/13/2018 at 7:26 PM, LadyNebula said:

During the episode, I said they would use any connection they possibly could: "This next competitor is from Kansas City, and the initials for the city are KC. Speaking of KC - how about that Kacy Catanzaro?"

Edited by BTBAM310
  • Love 3

I may now have enjoyed it or laughed as much as when Isaac fell last week, but I was happy to see the firefighter eat it on the Wingnuts.

He's one of the elites and STILL has to spend 22 days in a walk on line?  Damn, give the man an invite next year.

I'm SO with you and thought that during his run.  Sorry, but he made the finals in a previous year and he's still relegated to the walk-on line.  Why?  Because he's not simultaneously running the course and on dialysis?  

• Love 4
37 minutes ago, VartanFan said:

He's one of the elites and STILL has to spend 22 days in a walk on line?  Damn, give the man an invite next year.

I'm SO with you and thought that during his run.  Sorry, but he made the finals in a previous year and he's still relegated to the walk-on line.  Why?  Because he's not simultaneously running the course and on dialysis? 

Who under the age of forty has 22 consecutive days of vacation as well as how many days it takes to compete?  

And walk on after finals the previous year doesn't really fit some of the descriptions in the book where most slots go to past personalities, people with interesting stories, and the fill in is line sitters.  

Also how do the line sitters stay in shape working out or whatever on cement sidewalks?

• Love 3

Who under the age of forty has 22 consecutive days of vacation as well as how many days it takes to compete?  

I've wondered that myself.  I was hoping the book would explain where these people waiting are exactly and where they sleep and get food and use bathrooms..................but it didn't.

I usually don't like the sob stories but I was impressed by the woman who sustained horrendous, life-threatening burns and not only is doing well now but had the guts to appear on TV with all that scar tissue.  She seemed like someone I'd like and admire if I knew her personally.  I also liked the guy with the traumatic knee injury.

• Love 2

I just posted an article on one walk-on's experience this season in the Media thread.  It's a check-in/check-out at a certain time type of line, then you're free the rest of the day to keep busy/in shape. 

• Love 1

I was filled with glee when the Nap Ninja fell - I am so over every single person getting a fill-in-the-blank ninja title and a logo t-shirt! Seriously, if your most interesting quality is that you like to nap, you should just use your name and wear an UnderArmour tank....

Also can’t stand the fireman who fell - he needs to dial back the intensity and screaming. Also hate that he shows up with all his fireman gear Every.Single.Time. We get it. You’re a fireman. I have more respect for the ones who just show up in appropriate attire and kick ass on the course like Drew, Joe, and Daniel Gill (my one exception is Jamie Rahn).

There must be something wrong with me because I asked my husband who was the better ninja couple: Chris and Flex or James and Alyssa? He looked at me like I had two heads. I think I am waaay too into this show.....

• Love 4