Type keyword(s) to search

The Cast: A Million Little Roles

• Start Topic

Since I was looking on IMDB to see exactly who was in this, I thought this would be a fun place to discuss where we've seen the cast before. 

James Roday will always be Shawn Spencer from Psych.  I really loved that show.  

I saw Christine Ochoa was in Valor, which I watched for completely unknown reasons, and recently in Animal Kingdom. 

Grace Park is obviously from Battlestar Galatica and Hawaii 5-0

And then, the one I didn't even recognize at first- I've seen Allison Miller in Selfie.  She looked completely different with short, black hair but she was so funny! 

• Love 3

From the anticipation thread:

Anyway, I am in for the following actors, in this order: 

1. James Corday

2. Ron Livingston

3. Allison Miller (took me a minute to place her from Selfie- RIP)

4. David Giuntoli (I only watched about 3 episodes of Grimm but he is nice to look at)

I am not here for, and wish they weren't in this: 

1. Grace Park

2. Christine Ochoa

I've seen them in enough things to recognize they are weak actors, so it bums me out a little. 

Yeah, I'm all here for David Giuntoli.  To be honest, I might not even have this show on my radar if it weren't for him (it seems like a show I would like, but it also seems like TUI 2.0).

As for Grace Park and Christine Ochoa...I've never actually seen them in anything else, but I also wish they weren't here.  I've seen enough press on this show with Ochoa for her to annoy the hell out of me.  And, Grace Park, well some of her off-screen is definitely problematic.  She has gone quiet on her NXIVM involvement once the sex trafficking broke, she hasn't actually condemned it (as far as I know), and--fair or not--that makes it seem as though she was complicit.

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

Yeah, I'm all here for David Giuntoli.  To be honest, I might not even have this show on my radar if it weren't for him (it seems like a show I would like, but it also seems like TUI 2.0).

As for Grace Park and Christine Ochoa...I've never actually seen them in anything else, but I also wish they weren't here.  I've seen enough press on this show with Ochoa for her to annoy the hell out of me.  And, Grace Park, well some of her off-screen is definitely problematic.  She has gone quiet on her NXIVM involvement once the sex trafficking broke, she hasn't actually condemned it (as far as I know), and--fair or not--that makes it seem as though she was complicit.

I am not really following NXIVM, so I didn't realize Grace Park was involved.  Wow!

• Love 2
On 8/13/2018 at 11:20 AM, Whimsy said:

I am not really following NXIVM, so I didn't realize Grace Park was involved.  Wow!

I'm not either, but she is one of the few involved names I recognized and it all came up again when it was announced she'd be in this show.  If she were a stellar actress, I guess I could see TPTB taking the PR risk on her, but--from what you say--it doesn't sound like she is.  Maybe she has a following (of the non-cult variety) that they hope to attract?

I forgot this was the show that decided to roll the dice on recasting someone affiliated (formerly?) with a sex cult around the time the leaders are on trial.

Kind of odd choice from of ABC/Disney considering Roseanne and James Gunn.

It is odd, isn't it?  As I said, I'm not following the NXIVM thing too closely (I didn't even know the trial was happening), but I do know that Park has not spoken out against the sex crimes alleged with the cult.

I don't quite see the rationale here.  From what I've heard, Park is, at best, an average actress.  Shows face such embarrassment when something of a sex scandal touches one of their actors, that I wonder about a show that hires an actress who is already somewhat involved in one.  Plus, as you said, ABC/Disney is already dealing with at least 2 cases of bad behavior from their people.

As much as I liked David Giuntoli on Grimm, it still cracks me up that he was on Road Rules.

Fun fact: Romany Malco wrote the MC Skat Kat rap for Paula Abdul's "Opposites Attract" (he is sometimes credited as the one rapping but he confirmed that he wrote it but did not perform it).

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 7
On 8/13/2018 at 1:54 PM, HazelEyes4325 said:

Ditto. I haven't watched the first episode yet, but I loved David G in Grimm, so I will give this a shot. 

In general, Grace doesn't do a lot of press or fan conventions and isn't on social media--I follow the BSG cast and she's the one you never hear anything about--so I'm not surprised she hasn't "spoken out" about NXIVM at all. She seems very private. I think her involvement was fairly minor and at the very beginning when it truly was supposed to be a leadership conference for women and before most of the craziness began, but that's just my speculation. I was actually more surprised that Kristin Kreuk, who seemed far more involved, got the lead on Burden of Truth, which aired on Canadian TV this summer and then the CW here. But...I'm not sure the NXIVM coverage has been big enough to really impact their reputations, and Hollywood lets lots of people get away with terrible things for a very long time (though usually they aren't women) until they're really called on the carpet and need to save face.

That's so interesting about Romany Malco writing the MC Skat Cat rap --but how the heck was he old enough in the 80s...? (Wow he's turning 50, I thought he was a lot younger.)

I'm still surprised they got Constance Zimmer to do one line at the funeral. I assume she must be returning, maybe as someone David G's character also slept with?

Edited by taragel
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Grace Park was in the pilot.

She wasn't,, at least not in the pilot that was made to sell the show (and my understanding is that they didn't re-film the pilot to air.  Instead, they just refilmed Katherine's scenes).  If you watch the original trailer (linked in the Anticipation thread, I think), you can see that where we saw Grace Park in the episode, we see Anne Son in the trailer.

23 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

She wasn't,, at least not in the pilot that was made to sell the show (and my understanding is that they didn't re-film the pilot to air.  Instead, they just refilmed Katherine's scenes).  If you watch the original trailer (linked in the Anticipation thread, I think), you can see that where we saw Grace Park in the episode, we see Anne Son in the trailer.

My comment was that Grace was in the pilot that aired as the premiere, based on what everyone else posted in that thread. I didn’t watch or see any of the trailers.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

My comment was that Grace was in the pilot that aired as the premiere, based on what everyone else posted in that thread. I didn’t watch or see any of the trailers.

I think that the confusion is that there are 2 pilots here.  There is the pilot that was filmed in order to sell the show and the pilot that was aired.  The two are probably 90% the same thing, except for the scenes with Katherine.

• Love 1

Ron Livingston will forever be Lewis Nixon from Band of Brothers.

I spent the majority of the pilot wondering why Abby (I think that's the character's name) looked so familiar, and finally realized she was the daughter from NBC's short-lived Kings.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, topanga said:

I like that James Roday’s characrer is Gary Mendez. James’s last name is really Rodriguez, but he Anglicized it for Hollywood—which he has talked about openly and non-defensively. 

Yeah he said someone else was already using “James Rodriguez” so he had to change it.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Yeah he said someone else was already using “James Rodriguez” so he had to change it.

He's said in recent interviews that this is one of the first roles he's had where he is playing an Hispanic character. 

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I am wondering about James Roday's real life ex and his Million Little Things girlfriend sharing the same first name.

Awww. Are he and Maggi Lawson(?) still dating?

On 10/4/2018 at 7:01 PM, dargosmydaddy said:

Ron Livingston will forever be Lewis Nixon from Band of Brothers.

Wasn't he in Office Space? That's where I mostly remember him from. 

I think I first saw Allison Miller in Terra Nova. Seven years ago. 

They describe katherine's character as "used to be the fun one" in this link: https://deadline.com/2018/05/a-million-little-things-abc-drama-series-recast-anne-son-1202386968/

• Love 1
On 13/10/2018 at 8:54 AM, Anela said:

I think I first saw Allison Miller in Terra Nova. Seven years ago. 

Yeah, I first got introduced to Allison in Terra Nova, an underrated show, in my personal opinion. She was also quite good in the short lived comedy Go On in 2012.

I decided to skim through the zombie arc on Grimm again and really forgot how much I adored the show in its first three seasons. David Giuntoli was a huge part of that. I wasn't sure if he'd be a capable actor after first hearing about him on Road Rules, but he quickly proved me wrong. Even when I had to stop watching Grimm sometime during season 4 because I couldn't stand the writing or most of the arcs anymore, I knew Giuntoli wasn't the reason for that. 

Also, Grimm, if anything, had fantastic lore and a very capable protagonist with actually decent powers. If anything, they were somewhat consistent with Grimm abilities. It feels like Grimm ended forever ago, even though it was only last year.

I didn't realize that Stephanie Szostak was in The Devil Wears Prada. 

9 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Yeah, I first got introduced to Allison in Terra Nova, an underrated show, in my personal opinion. She was also quite good in the short lived comedy Go On in 2012.

I decided to skim through the zombie arc on Grimm again and really forgot how much I adored the show in its first three seasons. David Giuntoli was a huge part of that. I wasn't sure if he'd be a capable actor after first hearing about him on Road Rules, but he quickly proved me wrong. Even when I had to stop watching Grimm sometime during season 4 because I couldn't stand the writing or most of the arcs anymore, I knew Giuntoli wasn't the reason for that. 

Also, Grimm, if anything, had fantastic lore and a very capable protagonist with actually decent powers. If anything, they were somewhat consistent with Grimm abilities. It feels like Grimm ended forever ago, even though it was only last year.

I didn't realize that Stephanie Szostak was in The Devil Wears Prada. 

Grimm was a show that had a fantastic premise--all they needed to do was not fuck it up (so they did everything they could to fuck it up).  I quit in season 5 and I miss the early seasons, especially now since I actually visited a site from the show yesterday (not really intentionally, but still...).  But the other thing about Grimm is that nearly all of the performers came off looking far less capable in that show than they actually were because the writing and directing were so awful.  I think Giuntoli was always a better actor than we saw in that show, but I also think that he developed a lot as an actor in it...if only for the fact that he played one role for a long period of time.  I am really enjoying watching him in AMLT, even though his character is so disappointing right now.  But, he is actually playing Eddie so well here that, as much as the character drives me crazy, I still want to see what happens with him.

I didn't know that Szostak was in The Devil Wears Prada either...but as soon as you mentioned it, I knew exactly who she was.  And I'm now even more in shock that she's only 43 because I remember thinking when I first saw that movie that the actress who played that character had to have only been a few years younger than Meryl Streep's character.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I guess I'm the only one who loved Grimm throughout its entire run, lol. It definitely changed as the show went on, but I found most of the characters and actors so engaging that I went along for the ride, wherever it took me. I did miss the fairy-tale like aspect of the first couple of seasons though, as well as the original spooky opening title.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

Grimm was a show that had a fantastic premise--all they needed to do was not fuck it up (so they did everything they could to fuck it up).  I quit in season 5 and I miss the early seasons, . . .

The Grimm writers sure did screw up a great premise. Starting with about the 3rd episode of the first season, IMO--so you might want to watch the pilot, @HazelEyes4325.
I don't know why I watched at least 3 seasons. Probably because Giuntoli's good looks, Bree Turner's arresting face, and Silas Weir Mitchell's (poorly utilized) comic delivery.
Reggie Lee and Russell Hornsby were fun too, but I hated what they did with Sasha Roiz, and just plain hated the rest of the cast of characters.
The late Reg E. Cathey was a wonderful guest star at the end of season 2/beginning of season 3 when the show was really starting to annoy me.

And so here I am now watching Giuntoli's good looks again on another Hot Mess of Plots show with another collection of actors of whom I have fond memories (Romany Malco, Grace Park, James Roday, and Ron Livingston).
So, please, A Million Little Things, do something irredeemable in the next episode so I can quit you.
And, please, show, do not add fantastic guest stars that keep me glued.

• Love 2
On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 10:45 AM, shapeshifter said:

The Grimm writers sure did screw up a great premise. Starting with about the 3rd episode of the first season, IMO--so you might want to watch the pilot, @HazelEyes4325.
I don't know why I watched at least 3 seasons. Probably because Giuntoli's good looks, Bree Turner's arresting face, and Silas Weir Mitchell's (poorly utilized) comic delivery.
Reggie Lee and Russell Hornsby were fun too, but I hated what they did with Sasha Roiz, and just plain hated the rest of the cast of characters.
The late Reg E. Cathey was a wonderful guest star at the end of season 2/beginning of season 3 when the show was really starting to annoy me.

And so here I am now watching Giuntoli's good looks again on another Hot Mess of Plots show with another collection of actors of whom I have fond memories (Romany Malco, Grace Park, James Roday, and Ron Livingston).
So, please, A Million Little Things, do something irredeemable in the next episode so I can quit you.
And, please, show, do not add fantastic guest stars that keep me glued.

Considering that they've ordered 3 more scripts, not shows, scripts only, its a good sign that it's cancelled.  Maybe that's enough for you to quit it.

9 hours ago, TWP said:

Considering that they've ordered 3 more scripts, not shows, scripts only, its a good sign that it's cancelled.  Maybe that's enough for you to quit it.

Yeah, that was not a good sign...I read that it is ABC hedging its bets, but I have a feeling it is more of a "wrap this up, please" sort of thing.

• Love 1

I like the show just OK.  My biggest problem is that I don’t care for the actress playing Delilah.  So that colors my enjoyment of the series overall.  The Maggie character is annoying for me as well.  I’m just so-so on the show which is too bad because I root for James Roday due to my Psych love.

• Love 2

I didn't realize until I watched the pilot that Lizzy Greene from Nickelodeon's NIcky, Ricky, Dicky and Dawn was in this show. I really like her but I just can't seem to stay interested in this show. I've found the only thing I care about is why Jon killed himself. In the flashbacks Jon seems like the most ineresting character in the entire show. 

11 minutes ago, Aryanna said:

I didn't realize until I watched the pilot that Lizzy Greene from Nickelodeon's NIcky, Ricky, Dicky and Dawn was in this show.

Really?  My kids just discovered that show and I haven't been paying attention to it.  Maybe I should actually check out what they are watching!

51 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

Really?  My kids just discovered that show and I haven't been paying attention to it.  Maybe I should actually check out what they are watching!

It's a really cute show. It's ended now but you can often find reruns on the Nick channels. The focus is on being funny which is refreshing since a lot of kids shows these days are too preachy. I think it's funny for both kids and adults. I miss not having new episodes to watch.

Okay, I may be really cynical, but I'm calling BS on Stephanie Szostak being 43.  

I was going through my bookshelves and decided to get out my college yearbooks.  Szostak and I were at William and Mary at the same time.  She attended 1990-1994 (and, yes, she's in the yearbooks, as Stephanie Frankel) and I was there 1991-1995.  Here's the thing.  I went to W&M right after high school and graduated in 4 years...and I'm 45.  I'm not sure how Szostak (who graduated from high school in France, and people are usually 19, as opposed to 17 or 18 in the US, when they do that) was able to arrive at W&M a year older than I was, stay there for the same amount of time, and be 2 years younger than I am.  

Yeah, there could be some weird circumstance...but I really doubt it.  As far as I can tell, someone subtracted a few years from their age.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Just think, in 5 more years when you're 50, she'll be 40. Szostak is either lying or that's a hard 43.

All the women in Hollywood are not as young as they say they are and all the men are shorter than they say. I see actresses that I think are older than me and then when I look them up on imdb or wikipedia, they're my age or younger and I'm like No Way.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, Aryanna said:

Just think, in 5 more years when you're 50, she'll be 40. Szostak is either lying or that's a hard 43.

All the women in Hollywood are not as young as they say they are and all the men are shorter than they say. I see actresses that I think are older than me and then when I look them up on imdb or wikipedia, they're my age or younger and I'm like No Way.

I'm not so naive to believe that people don't lie about their ages in Hollywood and I understand why they have to do it sometimes.  The thing is, those that do it look the age that they say they are, by whatever means necessary.  There is no way Szostak can pass as 43.  Heck, if she is in fact 47, that's a hard 47.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I am mostly watching this show because James Roday is in it, but to me, he will always be Shawn Spencer (Psych), even though he's acting way out of character from that here. Oh, and I have seen Allison Miller in a few episodes of Go On, of course I didn't know it was her until I looked on IMDB. But the others I am not really familiar with.

18 hours ago, Shorty2007 said:

I am mostly watching this show because James Roday is in it, but to me, he will always be Shawn Spencer (Psych), even though he's acting way out of character from that here. 

I started watching for the same reason and I'm not quite certain why I'm continuing to watch it.  James Roday was born to play Shawn Spencer, such great casting for that role (and Dule Hill's as well).  I am now worried that after this series shows will not consider him for anything other than a Shawn Spencer type and those are few and far between. 

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, snarkylady said:

I started watching for the same reason and I'm not quite certain why I'm continuing to watch it.  James Roday was born to play Shawn Spencer, such great casting for that role (and Dule Hill's as well).  I am now worried that after this series shows will not consider him for anything other than a Shawn Spencer type and those are few and far between. 

I'm continuing watching this show because I love it, I actually love his role in this show and the fact that hes straying some what from comedy. It takes a really great actor to go from comedy to a more serious role, and I think that I actually love him more for that, if that's possible. I'm not worried about him, I think other people will look past his role in Psych and see him as 'the actor who can do any type of genre they need him to do.' That's my firm belief anyways.

• Love 1

Yesterday, I was watching a youtube video my husband sent to me that ranked all the Marvel villains from worst to best (because we have the kind of marriage where we argue about whether Loki is actually a villain and who is a more nuanced villain, Killmonger or Thanos--KILLMONGER, PEOPLE!!!!).  Anyway, I was surprised to see Stephanie Szostak show up in it because I had no idea she had a Marvel turn.  Now, she showed up as like the second or third worst villain and she was paired with someone else (so not surprising) and she was in one of the later Iron Man movies (I think the 3rd one), and I've tried to wipe my memory clear of everything in Iron Man 2 and 3 except what was essential for future movies, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that she was there...  But I guess adding the fact that she is one of the worst Marvel villains kind of fits.

In case anyone is interested, here is the video (Szostak shows up at 1:39)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

Yesterday, I was watching a youtube video my husband sent to me that ranked all the Marvel villains from worst to best (because we have the kind of marriage where we argue about whether Loki is actually a villain and who is a more nuanced villain, Killmonger or Thanos--KILLMONGER, PEOPLE!!!!).  Anyway, I was surprised to see Stephanie Szostak show up in it because I had no idea she had a Marvel turn.  Now, she showed up as like the second or third worst villain and she was paired with someone else (so not surprising) and she was in one of the later Iron Man movies (I think the 3rd one), and I've tried to wipe my memory clear of everything in Iron Man 2 and 3 except what was essential for future movies, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that she was there...  But I guess adding the fact that she is one of the worst Marvel villains kind of fits.

In case anyone is interested, here is the video (Szostak shows up at 1:39)

Absolutely Killmonger.

I hadn’t realized that was her in Iron Man 3. That movie is mostly a blur but she was one of the few memorable parts. She was so bad that I kept trying to figure out how she got the role. 

On 12/4/2018 at 12:55 PM, Shorty2007 said:

I'm continuing watching this show because I love it, I actually love his role in this show and the fact that hes straying some what from comedy. It takes a really great actor to go from comedy to a more serious role, and I think that I actually love him more for that, if that's possible. I'm not worried about him, I think other people will look past his role in Psych and see him as 'the actor who can do any type of genre they need him to do.' That's my firm belief anyways.

I'm a big Psych fan and started watching this only because of Roday. I'm impressed with him on here, even kind of proud (our little Shawn Spencer handling grown up drama!) I think he has great chemistry with everyone, especially the kids. If this show doesn't last I hope it opens more doors for him.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, desertflower said:

I'm a big Psych fan and started watching this only because of Roday. I'm impressed with him on here, even kind of proud (our little Shawn Spencer handling grown up drama!) I think he has great chemistry with everyone, especially the kids. If this show doesn't last I hope it opens more doors for him.

I'm also a big Psych fan, and looking forward to them finally being able to work on the sequel. Anyways, I was also impressed that he could do other things besides comedy. I still think of Shawn every time I see him. I am sure that even if this show doesn't make it (which I hope it does!), I am sure that he's going to be alright. He will probably land more roles in future tv productions since they probably think of him as more than a comedy actor now thanks to this show. We might actually get to see him in future horror films. (Besides Fear Itself of course and Gravy.) But your right, he does show great chemistry towards everyone, and I love his relationship to the kids. Can't wait to Jan. 17th when it comes back on.

There have been so many comments about Stephanie Szostak’s hair, I googled to see what the fuss was about - turns out she’s had a bunch of different styles...

stephanie-szostak-and-nervous-featured-i

dinnerforschmucks-pm-6.jpg

stephanie-szostak-18642-24-03-2017-17-29

_315x420_8bcd4e4a1eacb7332e381823dae2afe

imo she looks great, no matter how she wears her hair - and I’ll admit to loving her French accent after listening to a couple of interviews. Ooh-la-la!