Type keyword(s) to search

Iris West

Lisin
  • Start Topic

I'm pretty sure that Martin could've been cast as detective Joe Blow and still been a father figure to Barry. The reason why Iris is black is because the new Wally West in the comics is black so they're matching everything up.

I warned people, Iris isn't special effects, so they don't give a damn about her. She's the only main character in the flarrow universe to not appear in a crossover on the other show. That should tell you all you need to know about their opinion of her. Let CP and the flash writers lie to you and get your hopes up on her future storylines if you want to.

Oh, trust me; after the Iris' mother arc went nowhere, my expectations have been lowered massively.

• Love 3

So, despite 99.7% of the 2nd half of the crossover being in CC [outskirts or no (hello Kent Farm!, btw)], neither Iris or Joe could make a quick fly-through 'hi & bye'; even with a scene at CCPD.  But after last night, stupid to expect anything but the normal from Flarrow and CW at this point.

Ho hum.  Carry on. 

Exactly why I didn't bother watching.

Considering what happened - should have considered just putting this 'Arrow' episode off for later, with all the rest.

Have to say, with all that was done in this 'mega' crossover to set up LoT... I could care less for any of the players except for Ray Palmer, Sara Lance, Dr Stein, and Captain Cold.  I'll check it out (initially), just because its 'in universe' with TF & A - and hopefully Darvill can bring something as Rip Hunter - but after the last couple of nights, expectations and hopes for LoT are pretty low at the moment.

• Love 2

Interestingly enough Ciara who plays Kendra took to Twitter in the past couple of days to make it explicitly clear she's white.

And yet she also auditioned for the role of Iris - who was specifically being cast as black. Seeing her comments gave me a serious case of cognitive dissonance.

Edited by phoenics
  • Love 3

Honest to god they actively exclude Iris from this stuff and the 'we need to research VS scene in LoT p2 makes it glaringly obvious. Oh if only they knew someone who researches things for a living.

It would have been so easy for her to come in with Barry and Cisco, and with her a file she's put together on Savage (non verbally explaining why she wasn't in part 1), a little exposition fairy-ing and the show carries on. 

I am very close to giving up on this show altogether because while female characters don't have to be my favourites I do need to feel that the writing isn't shafting them and The Flash is doing nothing but that. And it's not just Iris, although she is the biggest victim of it.     

• Love 3

Interestingly enough Ciara who plays Kendra took to Twitter in the past couple of days to make it explicitly clear she's white.

So over three shows that are supposedly linked, Iris is the only woman of colour.

Being biracial myself, I understand her later comments about not wanting to be categorized or being forced to pick a "side". However, it comes across as really disingenuous when she responds to someone asking what her ethnicity is with the single word answer " white". She didn't say she didn't decline to answer or say multiracial or reject racial categories. She just said white. And when pressed, she doubled down with "Why are you hurt? I am white." And then finally she said she's mostly white, like 70% and then mentioned black, Indian, and Native American.

Whatever. She can identify however she wants to, but in Hollyood (and much of society) you will end up being treated as whatever you appear to be. In her case that's not white. She does look ethnically ambiguous enough to pass for a few things though.

• Love 5

I have no idea why Iris is even on the show.  At this point, I have zero interest in having Wally be her brother and even less in watching her work as a reporter.  I think they would have been better off making her a psychologist of some sort...and maybe having the crazy people visit her, like Arkham or something, where she was still interacting with the metahumans, or maybe working as a profiler.  

Edited by catrice2
  • Love 2

The new promos for next week look good - I hope they don't cut them out. But I also hope that what we see in the promos aren't the entirety of the "Iris" we'll get.

I will say though that GG and CP show more chemistry in a still shot than I've seen from Batty all season long.

Edited by phoenics
  • Love 2

Something I just thought about-- which I'm sure has been brought up before at some point: Iris spent something like 6 to 9 months (I can't remember how long Barry was in a coma) visiting Barry at StarLabs, so she probably should have gotten to know the people there somewhat. It was clear that Caitlin wasn't exactly fond of her (from her snooty complaint about Iris talking a lot), but shouldn't she have at least talked to Cisco and Dr. Wells during that time? I can get that maybe Dr. Wells/Eobard might not have wanted to bond with her, so he might have kept his distance, but at least Iris could have talked to Cisco during that time. You'd think that Iris would be more familiar with him and that maybe at some point they talked-- since he was probably around at least some of the time that she was visiting. So, it seems odd to me that she seemed so distant from him when Barry finally woke up. I can get distance from Caitlin and Wells-- although, it would have been nice to know how she felt about them. I would like to see a flashback at some point of Iris remembering something about conversations or things that happened while Barry was in a coma. I wouldn't be surprised if Dr. Wells assured her that Barry was going to be ok and to not give up hope. If she ever interacts with E2 Wells again, it would be interesting for her to mention that.

• Love 1

I can get that maybe Dr. Wells/Eobard might not have wanted to bond with her, so he might have kept his distance, but at least Iris could have talked to Cisco during that time. You'd think that Iris would be more familiar with him and that maybe at some point they talked-- since he was probably around at least some of the time that she was visiting. So, it seems odd to me that she seemed so distant from him when Barry finally woke up.

This falls back to an overall issue with this show in terms of character development of the supporting cast. Of course Iris should be near besties with Cisco (mostly because Cisco by nature has a warm and friendly personality and a weak spot for pretty women) and at the very least quite comfortable with Caitlin due to the sheer amount of time she would have spent around her and likely discussing Barry's condition when he was in the coma. But you've probably noticed that the show has a glaring lack of female-to-female relationships. Barry, Cisco and Joe are thick as thieves. Hell Barry and Oliver are pretty tight. But outside of one near throw away scene with Iris and Linda sharing a beer and discussing the woes of keeping a huge secret, when have we truly seen two women on this show bond and show a great and deep friendship? There is no, ZERO reason that Caitlin and Iris shouldn't at least be good friends, if not best friends. How could they not have somewhat bonded over losing their fiances/husbands? Both are smart and independent women. Caitlin may not completely love Iris' personality but I can't see her not respecting how strong and smart Iris is and vice versa. But again, that's what this show and Arrow are lacking. It's like the writing team and/or producers work at keeping the women folk separated from everyone but the men they're dating/chasing. I mean seriously - how have Patty and Iris not had a few scenes together? Barry's "best" friend and his new girlfriend not even having a coffee together or chatting yet? Total ball drop by the writers.

Edited by rogueprinzess
  • Love 5
Total ball drop by the writers.

Unfortunately, I don't think they see it that way. They go overboard catering to demos that consider "girl stories" stupid and unnecessary, and so far it's been working for them in the ratings game. 

Actually, I can see reasons for Iris and Caitlin to not be good friends. I think Caitlin has never exactly been a people person. She is closed off and I think she pushes people away. Even when you have a common experience with someone, it doesn't mean you will end up as friends. Some people don't hit it off. But I do agree that there is a lack of friendships among female characters-- but then, there are more male characters than female.

I would hope that they will bring back Linda eventually so Iris can have a friend-- or maybe even have Iris bond with some female informants- or hell, give her some female friends from college so we know she's not some kind of social recluse.

I'd like to see Iris take on more in terms of working on "human interest" stories where she advocates for people who are getting stomped on or having problems that everyone else is ignoring-- the sort of things that Laurel would take on as legal cases, only what Iris would be raising awareness and maybe trying to help them get legal assistance-- or to lobby against something she sees as wrong. I don't want them to necessarily put her in danger by making some stories public, but it would be nice for her to create a stir and maybe turn up some info that is useful to Barry. It was nice when she was still the one getting the reports about metahumans. As a reporter, she can do things and go places the police can't (since the police have rules about search and seizure and chain of evidence). The issues she takes on could even have absolutely nothing to do with Barry or Team Flash. It would be nice to know she's actually doing *something*.

As BkWrum1 pointed out elsewhere, it would have been nice if Kendra could have been introduced via Iris, as a friend who Iris seems short of  and they could have bonded over Iris earlier days in Kendra's job and the crazy customers they had to deal with. Instead, they chose to have Kendra be Cisco's crush instead.

It would also have given Iris a reason to be in Star City since she was the one who was Kendra's friend.

Honest to god they actively exclude Iris from this stuff and the 'we need to research VS scene in LoT p2 makes it glaringly obvious. Oh if only they knew someone who researches things for a living.

It would have been so easy for her to come in with Barry and Cisco, and with her a file she's put together on Savage (non verbally explaining why she wasn't in part 1), a little exposition fairy-ing and the show carries on.

The problem is that the research scene in pt 2 (I assume it's when Thea and Laurel google) didn't make sense there either.  Vandal Savage wouldn't have been google-worthy because he would have kept off the radar.  There wasn't any information to be got on him.  Even the League of Assassins, who had been trying to find out information on him, came up with nothing other than that he's an immortal. That research scene was only there to give Thea and Laurel something to do while Cisco, Caitlin and Felicity did the science stuff that saved the Hawks and Oliver and Barry did whatever they did away from the farmhouse like find out about Oliver's kid.

• Love 1

As a reporter, she can do things and go places the police can't (since the police have rules about search and seizure and chain of evidence). The issues she takes on could even have absolutely nothing to do with Barry or Team Flash. It would be nice to know she's actually doing *something*.

Agreed, and this is what most Iris West/Candice Patton fans have been lamenting since season 1. Iris of S1 had little to do or care about outside of the men in her life (Barry, Eddie and her dad) and now in S2, she's in the ether when she's not standing silently in the background of STAR labs. Iris is supposed to be an ace reporter yet we never see her doing her journalism, unless you count her blogging on her work computer here and there. I get that this show is about Barry, but there are so many ways they could tie Iris' job into Barry's Flash life. As you mentioned, how hard would it be to have her investigating a story that ends up hitting the radar of the CCPD and eventually team Flash? That should happen more often then not. Using that type of episodic writing would allow for character development for ALL the show's characters, not just Barry. But, there I go talking sense again which a language the showrunners seem allergic to...

• Love 5

Finally an episode this season where I'm actually reminded that Iris really does have an important part in the show, mythos, and the recognition of her overall relationship with Barry.  Best episode, in terms of Iris' part in the season, to date - by far, hands down.

• Love 1

Finally an episode this season where I'm actually reminded that Iris really does have an important part in the show, mythos, and the recognition of her overall relationship with Barry. Best episode, in terms of Iris' part in the season, to date - by far, hands down.

I totally agree. My one problem is that it seems like Iris was prepare to keep Wally West a secret indefinitely, until Joe started talking about having a son and making her feel guilty. I didn't like that at all.

I would have liked it better if she had been searching for him and didn't want to tell Joe about him until she find him and made sure that he was Joe's son. That would have worked better for me.

I totally agree. My one problem is that it seems like Iris was prepare to keep Wally West a secret indefinitely, until Joe started talking about having a son and making her feel guilty. I didn't like that at all.

I would have liked it better if she had been searching for him and didn't want to tell Joe about him until she find him and made sure that he was Joe's son. That would have worked better for me.

But you know, unlike Joe and Barry who looked her in the face and lied for months, Iris couldn't do that to someone she loves. Iris had to find out on her own on a cold bridge after Eddie was abducted, but Joe got his news broken gently by his two kids. Big difference between Joe and Iris.

• Love 3

That's the problem with Iris being horribly-underused until tonight...  was the secret crushing her the whole time?  Was she ready to break and spill longer than when she did??   Did she really just have a 'change of heart' like was shown, or more???

We don't know; won't know.  Thanks to the writers/showrunners pushing her to offscreensville for most of the first 8 episodes - especially between after meeting mom/learning about Wally to the most recently aired episode - we're left to interpret as we want, or just take what was shown at face value.

Hard to lay a lot of blame at her feet when the only times I've seen her this season (before tonight) was angsting with mama, having a talk with Joe about mama, or giving Barry her unconditional support of Batty.  Who knows what all she was doing, or not doing, in all that free time she had when not with J/B/or the Flash team.  Just my take.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 2

But you know, unlike Joe and Barry who looked her in the face and lied for months, Iris couldn't do that to someone she loves. Iris had to find out on her own on a cold bridge after Eddie was abducted, but Joe got his news broken gently by his two kids. Big difference between Joe and Iris.

I wasn't trying to compare her keeping Wally West a secret with Joe keeping the Flash a secret. I was just saying that I didn't like the way the writers set it up like she didn't care about meeting and getting to know her little brother or letting Joe know about his son until his talk made her feel guilty. Because this means that even thought she knew she had a little brother out there, who was about to lose his only family member when her mother die, she still wasn't interested or cared enough to go look for him and bring him into the West family. So that he would have family around him when her mother dies.

So, I would've liked it better if she had been looking for him.

Edited by SevenStars

I wasn't trying to compare her keeping Wally West a secret with Joe keeping the Flash a secret. I was just saying that I didn'the like the way the writers set it up like she didn't care about meeting and getting to know her little brother or letting Joe know about his son until his talk made her feel guilty. Because this means that even thought she knew she had a little brother out there, who was about to lose his only family member when her mother die, she still wasn't interested or care enough to go look for him and bring him into the West family. So that he would have family around him when her mother dies.

So, I would've liked it better if she had been looking for him.

I see what you mean. I would have like that too.

That's the problem with Iris being horribly-underused until tonight... was the secret crushing her the whole time? Was she ready to break and spill longer than when she did?? Did she really just have a 'change of heart' like was shown, or more???

We don't know; won't know. Thanks to the writers/showrunners pushing her to offscreensville for most of the first 8 episodes - especially between after meeting mom/learning about Wally to the most recently aired episode - we're left to interpret as we want, or just take what was shown at face value.

Hard to lay a lot of blame at her feet when the only times I've seen her this season (before tonight) was angsting with mama, having a talk with Joe about mama, or giving Barry her unconditional support of Batty. Who knows what all she was doing, or not doing, in all that free time she had when not with J/B/or the Flash team. Just my take.

I agree and the only time I saw a glimpse of her feelings in regard to keeping Wally West a secret before this episode was in the episode where she called Henry for Barry. In the scene towards the end of the episode when Joe started talking about how everytime Henry entered the picture, it reminded him that Barry had another Dad. She had a look of sadness and conflict on her face and that was the only time I saw a glimpse of her emotions in regard to knowing about Wally.

I hate that we have to keep guessing about everything that affect Iris.

• Love 3

Once again, Iris got shafted in terms of the storyline. This should have been a  big one for her, with a brother she didn't know she had and the complex relationship with her parents but it was all Joe, Joe/Barry, Joe/Wally.

It's not because of race because they write so much for Joe/Barry, it's not because Felicity is on the episode, they really don't care about Iris or her feelings at all.,

Once again, Iris got shafted in terms of the storyline. This should have been a  big one for her, with a brother she didn't know she had and the complex relationship with her parents but it was all Joe, Joe/Barry, Joe/Wally.

It's not because of race because they write so much for Joe/Barry, it's not because Felicity is on the episode, they really don't care about Iris or her feelings at all.,

Taking my response to the Lighting Rods thread... Here is my post: http://forums.previously.tv/topic/24018-lightning-rods-gender-race-homosexuality-and-other-sensitive-topics/page-9#entry1787664

Edited by phoenics
  • Love 3

Some casting related to Iris I brought over from the media thread...

I so want Iris to have a LI and a story line which hopefully will tie into the main story lines so she isn't stand alone at the bus stop. But does that mean more of Patty annoying ass in future episodes and more of her on the screen than the leading lady?

I think SvS got a new show as the lead (some show with Ryan Phillippe), plus she apparently only signed on for 10 episodes, so this might be her last one (the next one). I think she's been in every episode this season... so next episode might be the last one for Patty.

I don't remember her in the premiere and the 2nd episode's description is as follows:

Jay Garrick, a mysterious man from Earth-2, appears at S.T.A.R. Labs with a dire warning about an evil speedster named Zoom, who is set on destroying The Flash. Barry and the team must decide if they can trust this stranger even as they face yet another powerful meta-human. Meanwhile, Joe must deal with a determined officer named Patty Spivot who wants to join his meta-human task force.

IMDB also doesn't have her listed in the premiere.

I'm not so sure Patty's departure will mean more time for Iris, so I'm not holding my breath on that one.

I so want Iris to have a LI and a story line which hopefully will tie into the main story lines so she isn't stand alone at the bus stop. But does that mean more of Patty annoying ass in future episodes and more of her on the screen than the leading lady?

Iris having a LI will likely be about as important as her relationship with Eddie was, except this time it will be even less important because Barry won't be pining over his feelings for her. So the showrunners will likely have less reason to show her with anyone but Barry. Honestly, Iris doesn't need another LI that isn't Barry, just like Barry doesn't need one (and didn't need Patty). Linda served a purpose in that Barry needed to stop obsessing over Iris and Eddie for a minute. But at this point (the retcon of this first half-season aside) both Barry and Iris know that they love each other, and that there's more to their love than friendship. Iris had the "barrier" of Eddie last season, but now that's out of the way and she's had a sufficient grieving period. Hell, if Caitlin can start making out with new people now, Iris should be ready too. 

If the show was doing it's job, now should be the time for Iris to be continuing her journalism career in conjunction with helping Team Flash, and beyond that, exploring her feelings for Barry and figuring out how to date (and eventually marry) a superhero. But my faith in that happening is about as strong as all of Canada becoming a tropical destination at this point.

Edited by rogueprinzess
  • Love 4

I think it depends on individual writers. I watch Criminal Minds and my favorite character is underutilized because the writers who knew how to write for him are no longer there. Maybe one or two of the current writers can do ok with him, but not on the same level. Only one of them really enjoys writing for him. Meanwhile, there are others who are so terrible at writing for him, that he's been known to get less than 5 minutes of screentime in their episodes-- hell, in one he literally had less than two minutes of screen time.

It may be that some of the writers don't now how to write for Iris or don't find her interesting while others do. I will say that while the writer for last episode did well for Iris, they did not do well for Barry. He was back to being selfish and reckless.

I think it depends on individual writers. I watch Criminal Minds and my favorite character is underutilized because the writers who knew how to write for him are no longer there. Maybe one or two of the current writers can do ok with him, but not on the same level. Only one of them really enjoys writing for him. Meanwhile, there are others who are so terrible at writing for him, that he's been known to get less than 5 minutes of screentime in their episodes-- hell, in one he literally had less than two minutes of screen time.

It may be that some of the writers don't now how to write for Iris or don't find her interesting while others do. I will say that while the writer for last episode did well for Iris, they did not do well for Barry. He was back to being selfish and reckless.

I find it hard to believe that someone's screen time would be reduced because the staff writers don't know how to write for a character. It would seem that if the EP of the show wanted story for a character it would happen whether the writers like writing for that character or not.

That said, I watched Flash for the first time in months Tuesday night and was very pleased with what they did with Earth2 Iris. If the show was going to turn into Earth2 I'd return to this it in a heartbeat. But since Earth2 is only for a couple of episodes I'm certain that once Barry settles back into Earth1 it'll be back to the status quo with Iris senselessly absent from important scenes and what stories she does have lacking investment and thus depth.

One more thing I'll say is that Candace was fantastic as Earth2 Iris. She's truly a gem on this show.

• Love 4

Candice is truly amazing. Effortlessly sexy, tough without losing her vulnerability, and the way her love for Barry/Joe comes so naturally and feels fierce and realistic. They're crazy to waste her talents as much as they do.

I totally agree. In a show full of talented actors, Candice truly stands out for me.

• Love 4

I find it hard to believe that someone's screen time would be reduced because the staff writers don't know how to write for a character. It would seem that if the EP of the show wanted story for a character it would happen whether the writers like writing for that character or not.

I should have specified that the EP on Criminal Minds was one of the writers and that she was one of the ones who didn't know how to write for the character (and also didn't seem to even like the character- which became evident during the verbal diarrhea she spewed in interviews). I think if an EP really wants a character to be in, they find a way to make it happen. I know that while they will have one or two writers assigned an episode, the writers all dissect the scripts and give suggestions for changes and such. What I think some shows do (and what others need to do) is have the writer who is strongest for a specific character (or characters) do the dialog and such if the episode writer is weak. Unfortunately, it seems that lately the producers are more interested in "cool" action sequences than in the writing being solid. This show suffers from that quite a bit-- where they make illogical leaps or dumb plot devices to have action scenes (like having Barry supersonic punch Grodd into the breach rather than having Caitlin explain to him that if he went through he would find others like him).

Back to Iris, I really hope they continue to use her more like they did in the last episode. Candice really does well when they give her something to work with. It's a pity so much time was wasted on Patty (even though the actress was good) and Candice was given so little to work with. I was relieved that we finally got Iris expressing how she felt about something. I know the show is about The Flash/Barry, but we get more insight into the other male characters than in to the female characters.

(edited)

The producers and writers really got lucky with candice. This actress had everything stacked against her character. She is a black woman playing a traditional white character (i know we would all love for racism to be a thing of the past, alas its not so); she was the outsider with no knowledge that barry was the flash; she is not a scientist, a superhero or the tech girl ( yeah, audience generally hate female characters that are not one of these in superhero shows), she is the love interest of the hero that dosen't love him back (burn her at the stake! Lol, seriously fanboys hate this and others will look for the next available female or expect the show to prove why she deserves love), she got angry at the hero and other men in her life (fanboys hate this too); a new love interest in season two for the hero (giving an alternative to people who would take anybody else for the hero) and finally little or no point of view. Its very impressive that despite all this, candice was able to get people to love and care about her character. I have seen people on this board and other sites that do not ship westallen, but still wants her to get screen time and pov. This speaks of candice strength as an actress and her charisma. I will also add that her fans really tried their best to promote her and fight for her, and i'm sure that helped also. Its just a shame that the writers are not giving her more screen time, they are just wasting her potentials. I hope it gets better for this character, it can't get worse.

Edited by Grace19
  • Love 7

The producers and writers really got lucky with candice. This actress had everything stacked against her character. She is a black woman playing a traditional white character (i know we would all love for racism to be a thing of the past, alas its not so); she was the outsider with no knowledge that barry was the flash; she is not a scientist, a superhero or the tech girl ( yeah, audience generally hate female characters that are not one of these in superhero shows), she is the love interest of the hero that dosen't love him back (burn her at the stake! Lol, seriously fanboys hate this and others will look for the next available female or expect the show to prove why she deserves love), she got angry at the hero and other men in her life (fanboys hate this too); a new love interest in season two for the hero (giving an alternative to people who would take anybody else for the hero) and finally little or no point of view. Its very impressive that despite all this, candice was able to get people to love and care about her character. I have seen people on this board and other sites that do not ship westallen, but still wants her to get screen time and pov. This speaks of candice strength as an actress and her charisma. I will also add that her fans really tried their best to promote her and fight for her, and i'm sure that helped also. Its just a shame that the writers are not giving her more screen time, they are just wasting her potentials. I hope it gets better for this character, it can't get worse.

I totally agree with this!

I think that the showrunners in general have so many other irons in their fire -- using Flash to launch other shows (LOT), referring to comic book story arcs and characters that the first characters to be sacrificed are always the female characters. They try to make it up but when they do it's almost like they're cramming something in and it doesn't feel as natural as the other male characters' development and character arcs. Her scenes mourning Eddie should have been something they included much earlier in the season. They felt really crammed into this past episode. I think Candice's natural likability though is something that comes across even with the lack of screen time and her connection with Grant (when they allow them to have scenes) is palpable. So that helps a little bit.

She's been filming quite a bit in the episodes leading up to the finale so hopefully they are making up for lost time by giving her more character development and integration into the overall story arc. Things are already much better than last season in that she's at least a part of the group scenes at Star Labs and she's included in the episode lead-ins where Barry talks about being helped by his friends at Star Labs and they've selected a clip with Iris working with Caitlyn and Cisco. And even in the Trajectory episode, she was at the crime scene in the morning before Barry and Joe get there and share with them some intel - so she's definitely a part of the Flash's investigative team. That's a step in a positive direction!

• Love 2

When I first started watching the show, I didn't like Iris because of how she was written. Then I saw Candice in an interview and really liked her. She comes off as more intelligent than the character she plays-- which is rare. Often I find that the actors are not as smart as their characters (unless they are playing a real dumbo character), so it was nice to see that she wasn't an airhead the way her character came off. Then I started to notice more of the nuances in her performance and liked her better.

It is just such a shame that they give her so little to work with because she does so well even with the small amount they give her. Not to make it a competition or a thing of putting one character/actress down to bring another one up, but I would much rather they have given more material to Candice than to Danielle because I just don't buy the performance from Danielle most of the time-- although she has made improvements. Her acting choices leave me cringing sometimes, and I keep thinking how much better Candice would have done with that same material.

But then, the writers have done a disservice to both of those characters because they lack their own agency in some regard. Caitlin is always pining after someone and Iris is often defined by her relationships with Joe, Barry, Eddie, and now her boss. But, this is a problem that has long existed in the comic book industry. The male writers have a hard time thinking of women as whole entities that can get along fine without being dependent on a male in some way.

Back to Iris, I really would love to see them do something with her character that doesn't involve flirting with her boss or having a love interest. Something that shows what it is about her that makes her the one Barry wants to be with forever. It's fine for her to be mourning her almost fiance, but it would be nicer to see her using her reporter skills more to help the team out. Now that Cisco can vibe and has the metahuman alert app thing, they don't need to go to her blog to get info on sightings and such.

• Love 6
(edited)

Back to Iris, I really would love to see them do something with her character that doesn't involve flirting with her boss or having a love interest.

There was promise with Iris digging into Wally's illegal racing world. It had Iris looking at something due to her family connection to the story, which is fair as she is a journalist.  It was like in the season opener, when Iris was trapped in the unfinished skyscraper; she had been uncovering corruption and gotten "too close" for someone's taste. ( Actually, come to think of it, has anything else been mentioned about that story? Like Barry and Co. shutting that down or CCPD? )

If tptb wanted, a minion/Medium Bad could have been behind the illegal racing in several areas/territories/cities and the guy Iris went up against could have led to the Medium Bad, making bank off the races to fund whatever other nefarious plot(s) they were hatching while in service to A Big Bad. But that might be too easy to write.

Edited by Actionmage
  • Love 1