Type keyword(s) to search

The Flash in the Media

Lisin
  • Start Topic

The icy mother reminds me of an episode of the old Flash where they had Dr. McGee's mother show up and it turned out she was rather icy and had trouble showing affection/approval, so the relationship was strained.

19 hours ago, Trini said:

It'd be the perfect time to bring back Andy Mientus, AKA, Pied Piper!

I've also seen suggestions that Neil Patrick Harris should reprise his Music Meister role from Batman: The Brave and the Bold.  (Plus, I believe Pied Piper was reformed last season.)

• Love 1

He hadn't been mentioned in that context, but I had zero doubt Cavanagh could sing. 

Once again I urge every single person on the planet to sit down and listen to his podcast with Michael Ian Black, by the way. Has nothing to do with singing, or anything we've been overtly been discussing here, but man is it 100 episodes (so far) of some of the funniest stuff you will ever hear. 

• Love 1

That would take me forever to load. LOL. I'll have to find a way to download the podcasts during my "free" bandwidth period. I think I have one or two downloaded already. I really wish there had been a video of the guacamole episode.

I hope there will be more behind-the-scenes things and maybe an update to the chronicles of cisco soon.

2 hours ago, zannej said:

That would take me forever to load. LOL. I'll have to find a way to download the podcasts during my "free" bandwidth period. I think I have one or two downloaded already. I really wish there had been a video of the guacamole episode.

Soundcloud is probably not the best source to actually download them vs. streaming them. 

Try here instead: http://mates.libsyn.com/ (each episode has a "direct download" option below the streaming link there)

I'd advise listening from Ep 1, mostly because there are a lot of running jokes (like the whole ongoing bit where they endlessly argue over whether they can call podcast listeners "viewers", and the other bit that went on literally for years where Michael would intentionally mess up introducing Tom).

Oh. It's not a video of the Guac episode, but Tom talks about it here, on The Talk:

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Kromm said:

Soundcloud is probably not the best source to actually download them vs. streaming them. 

Try here instead: http://mates.libsyn.com/ (each episode has a "direct download" option below the streaming link there)

I'd advise listening from Ep 1, mostly because there are a lot of running jokes (like the whole ongoing bit where they endlessly argue over whether they can call podcast listeners "viewers", and the other bit that went on literally for years where Michael would intentionally mess up introducing Tom).

Oh. It's not a video of the Guac episode, but Tom talks about it here, on The Talk:

Thanks! The Talk episode was actually where I first heard about the guacamole episode and someone was kind enough to tell me which episode it was so I could load it. I only have a few hours of unrestricted bandwidth and then I only have 10Gb per month and just looking at facebook can use 30Mb or more per hour. So, I have to be careful with what I load during regular hours.

Tom is very entertaining in his storytelling.

I find it highly amusing that

Eobard is somewhat of a sociopathic villain who was fine with letting people die or killing them if they got in the way yet his influence was what made Cisco a good guy and prompted Cisco to want to help people-- and that if not for his influence, Cisco would not really care about helping.

Candice reunited with Teddy, Rick, and Robbie at the Heroes & Villains Fan Fest:

Aw!

Comparison of other musical episodes: 'What 'The Flash' and 'Supergirl' Can Learn From TV's Unlikely Musical Episodes':

The bottom line: If The Flash and Supergirl make the premise of why the comic book characters are breaking out into song and dance believable, if they only give songs to actors who can actually sing, have legitimate stakes and reasons for the songs while staying true to each of the shows' core DNA and propel the plot forward, then viewers are in for a great two episode musical crossover. But bringing in Joss Whedon couldn't hurt.

But there were a bunch of other musical episodes they didn't mention; I wished they had talked about the ones from Fringe, Daria, and Xena.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Trini said:

On his AMC show, Geeking Out, Kevin Smith shared some BTS video and inteviews with Grant and Candice from when he directed episode 2.21. Someone uploaded just the part about The Flash here on youtube.

That was HILARIOUS! Who knew Kevin Smith could string more than five words together?

And I got a wee bit verklempt when I saw that Grant was wearing a Supes T-Shirt: of Christopher Reeves' SUPERMAN! *sniff*

• Love 2

My apologies if this is the wrong thread but....

I met Carlos Valdes at Dragon Con in Atlanta this past weekend! He was super nice and I got a pic with him. He was doing an autograph session in one of the halls, there were a bunch of others in the same room signing autographs and taking pics. Violett Beane was sitting at the table next to him, next to her was Teddy Sears. On the other side was Ciara Renee and Caity Lotz (though at the time I was there, Caity wasn't actually sitting there, she may have gone on a break) Arthur Darville was at another booth. I was pretty much geeking out like crazy.

• Love 6

Carlos Valdes interview; some mild, and non-specific *spoilers*:

“This is the biggest year for crossovers that there ever has been.” Carlos noted when asked about The Flash, Arrow, Legends of Tomorrow, and Supergirl crossing over. “There is a LOT of stuff planned. It’s going to be a busy year.”

• Love 1

That gag reel is funny, but poor Teddy Sears! They really did haze him. And LOL at Grant pointing out Barry's poor decisions.

----

In other news, a new interview with Greg Berlanti. Flash related bits:

Is that part of what makes superhero stories unique?

They’re aspirational stories that are a fusion of different elements. But in a particular moment they can be anything. Some days on The Flash, we’re making a family show, and there are other days where we’re making a crime show. Then, in the next hour, the whole cast might have to turn around and do a huge visual-effects sequence, and then in the next hour, they’ll have to turn around and do something comedic. At the same time, they’re really grounded in basic truths of, Can you overcome? What does it take?

What comic books did you read growing up?

I read some Marvel, but I was more of a DC guy. Particularly the Flash, Barry Allen. I latched on to him because I felt like him. You thought to yourself, Well, you can’t really be Superman. You couldn’t really be Batman — Batman was a really dark figure. I identified with Barry Allen’s hopefulness.

Your first superhero property is one most people have forgotten, No Ordinary Family on ABC. You’ve called it a learning experience.

The lesson was not to change the DNA of what you promise to the audience, even if the network goes, “We don’t want that.” [ABC] didn’t want superpowered villains. They wanted Bewitched with powers, if you can imagine. And I wanted to make a superhero show! Another lesson was: Visual effects in a superhero show on a TV budget executed on TV production time was not a threshold we were ready to cross. We just didn’t have the science. It wasn’t until Flash that enough advancements in technology for TV had happened. Not that we are at a cinematic level, necessarily, but with Flash, his powers are a big part of why you enjoy him. Twenty-five percent of the show is animated. Sometimes it takes from that moment we start writing the story to two days before it airs to complete a given visual-effects sequence. I didn’t know how to do that when we were doing No Ordinary Family.

To what extent are the comics R&D for the TV and movie properties? Does DC Comics president Geoff Johns come to you and say, “Hey, here’s something we tried out in a comic. Let’s try it here”?

Sometimes, or he has other executives mention that to us. They said to us a year and a half before they started developing Suicide Squad, “Will you guys put [a version of] the Suicide Squad in your show? Because we want to have it as a film at some point.” It also happened with Geoff when Geoff and Andrew [Kreisberg] and I were creating Flash. They were both really huge fans of Cisco Ramon, [also known as] Vibe, and had written a Vibe comic [in 2013] to try and bring him back. They said, “Could we please have Vibe on the show?”

Do you pay much attention to what Marvel’s doing?

We talk about how they show a superpower. For instance, we were in the middle of postproduction on Flash when Bryan Singer did that sequence with Quicksilver. We were talking about that in terms of our version of Flash.

• Love 1

Short video of the cast photo shoot at Comic Con:

1) It's Season 3, how about some updated cast photos, CW? Please?

2) I like all the guys in the cast, but this show needs more women. Tina McGee as a regular -- make it happen show!

• Love 2

New interview with Berlanti -- talks about the crossovers, as well as his other non-superhero shows.

How far along is the “Supergirl”/”The Flash” musical crossover?

We just finished writing the fall crossovers. And now we’re trying to figure out how to produce them. That’s probably the most challenging thing we do all year. And now we’re doing it across three shows! But next week we’ll have to start talking about clearing music. I have a few ideas for tone and style in my head but we’re just starting to talk about what that can be. I do want to try and get an original piece of music written. As we make a deal on that we’ll probably make some announcements on the original songs.

• Love 1

At EW PopFest, a sponsored festival, Grant and Berlanti will part of a panel:

SAT. OCT. 29

Watch out, villains, metahumans, and time-traveling bad guys! Heroes collide in this epic panel of DC Comics' stars, featuring Stephen Amell (Arrow), Grant Gustin (The Flash), Melissa Benoist (Supergirl), and Caity Lotz (Legends of Tomorrow), along with their four series’ mastermind, uber producer Greg Berlanti. The fivesome will join forces at PopFest to talk superhero TV and answer fan questions in a special Q&A.

An interview with producers the Helbings at FlashTVNews; (some *spoilers* for the premiere)
A few non-spoilery excerpts:

... [Flashpoint] is also a way to tell stories about people that, while their appearance may be slightly different, at the core, it’s hard to completely strip what is true to that person away. I think ultimately, whatever differences there are, you’ll find that there are as many similarities.

... When we broke Season 2, we always knew the end point was Flashpoint.

... Will Barry’s costume get any more upgrades this year?

TH: If Grant has anything to say about it, yes.
AH: That’s not the plan at the moment.
TH: We’ll see. I think there’s a natural evolution.
AH: Just like the Flash universe, anything is possible.

... We always try to challenge ourselves, and a musical is no different.

... Was there anything that worked so well in Season 2 that it made you change your plans for Season 3?

I guess the one thing I would say is that with Zoom, it got really dark in the last 5, 6 episodes; and I think maybe it went a little bit too dark, so I think this year we want to make it more tonally similar to Season 1.

Someone on another forum pointed out that maybe the promo dept. was trying to emulate this Alex Ross portrait:

CP1388-Mythology-Flash.gif

Yes, this has a lot of red too, but it doesn't overpower. They should have kept more of the yellow, and had more shades and tones of red.

• Love 1

It's official: the Media thread will remain a spoiler friendly zone.  If you want to talk Media but not spoilers, head over to Unspoiled Speculation.  If you only want to talk spoilers, keep it to the Spoiler thread.  Otherwise, Media+Spoilers is good to go for discussion. 

• Love 1
On 9/20/2016 at 9:16 PM, phoenics said:

That is blindingly red.

And I LOVE it! So very sick of super-heroes wearing black faux-minatrix leather outfits (cough XMEN cough) or shit-dinge versions of their original vibrantly-colored costumes. It's time to have FUN with comic book characters again, long overdue in fact. If Flash is fighting talking sharks and telepathic apes, why even bother trying to make it look serious emo-gritty?

• Love 2

Early reviews of the premiere; somewhat *spoilery*:

Five Things You Want To Know About The Flash's Season 3 Premiere,

The Flash Season 3 Sprints Out of the Gate

It's not a perfect episode, but it certainly addresses a concern that plagued some of last season: a monolithic fixation with a single big bad and plodding pacing meant to keep that story moving along. In the season premiere, there are three speedsters, but it's really the story that you're running to keep up with.

... As was often the case in the second season of The Flash, it's the fantastic cast that elevates the material, delivering an eminently watchable show. There's a lot going on in the plot of the premiere -- necessary, as you might expect, to set up the whole of the Flashpoint timeline, Wally as Kid Flash, and the mystery of The Rival -- but ultimately the thing that feels the most urgent is the relationship between Barry and Iris. ...

• Love 4

(checks list)

The main thing that jumps out at me there is that by the numbers they have below the pictures, Flash should be #2, or at the very least ahead of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., even if Agents returned this week and Flash didn't.  Flash has a higher comic book composite and user rating. 

• Love 1