Type keyword(s) to search

The Flash in the Media

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Another Candice interview, mild spoilers:

When you were doing these episodes, did it feel like you were doing an alternate reality of the show, since that’s kind of what it is? Did you have any particularly funny moments, watching everybody playing such different versions of their character?

PATTON: Oh, yeah! When you’re watching Earth-1 Barry do a scene with Earth-2 Barry, it’s very tedious to shoot, but it’s fun to watch him flip in and out of two versions of Barry. It’s also cool to walk into these sets that you spend a lot of time in, like Jitters being Jitterbug or the police precinct, and everything is the same but different.

Is The Flash Finally Going There With Barry and Iris?! -- mild spoilers.

Poster for Zoom:

zoom-poster-cf5b0.jpg

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1
(edited)

Blake Neely talks a little about making the theme music of some of the various DCTV shows:

https://youtu.be/QxYJmuFvqQI?t=2m29s

And this article about actors working in Vancouver has quotes from several of The Flash cast:

And Gustin, previously featured in a supporting role on Glee, likes what he sees. “[Vancouver is] kind of separated from whatever success the show has or popularity the show has,” he said. The Virginia native said he never fell in love with Los Angeles and prefers the pace of Vancouver, which allows him to focus on his work without the distractions of being in Hollywood. “It’s got this nice, different appeal.”

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1

So...did he get SLIMED????

Selfishly, I really wanted to know his thoughts about keeping Barry and Iris apart, and if the show was EVER going to give the fans that WANT to see that happen.

But he's just so ADORKABLE! I just want to squeeze him. You know?

What?

• Love 1

Batman, obviously.

I wish I could be excited for this movie and WW but I can't because of Gal. But it's good to see Keiynan doing promotion with the main cast. 

Edited by driedfruit
  • Love 2

Batman vs Superman would depend upon the playing field and how much time there was to prepare. If it was straight up unprepared head to head, Superman would win. If Batman had time to prepare, he would develop a red sun lamp to negate Superman's powers (it worked on Daxamites who, like Kryptonians, derived their powers from the yellow sun). Or he would get his hands on some Kryptonite to take him down. He would use strategy, illusions, and psychological warfare to turn Superman's world upside down and defeat him. Without his powers, Superman is ineffective. Lois is better at hand-to-hand combat and fighting strategy than Superman.

EW article about the Supergirl/Flash crossover; with new photos. Also talks a bit about how the different universes connect.

While the trip will amount to a hot 
second on the April 5 episode of Flash, it results in Barry spending a day in National City (and on CBS for the March 28 episode of Supergirl), where he’s shocked to discover another hero. “Supergirl has never heard of The Flash and Flash has never heard of Supergirl, so there’s a lot of like, ‘Wait, you’re the who, now?’ ” says Kreisberg.

• Love 1

Keiynan Lonsdale at C2E2:

For his first day on set, he said everyone kept telling him how excited they were to meet him, and he thought, “This is super weird.” His first scene was with the entire cast at a Christmas party. “I met the majority of the people that day, and it was crazy. I just said, ‘Yeah, this is my new job.’”

As for the character himself, Lonsdale reiterated how much he related to the idea of meeting his long lost father, and he said that Joe West actor Jesse Martin has been great to play the part with. “The family dynamic is my favorite part of the show. Aside from the whole superhero dynamic, it’s all about this family story. It’s cool to play a character that’s growing in every episode, and he’s hopefully growing into becoming Kid Flash one day.”

Edited by Trini
  • Love 2

Variety article about the crossover -- and the gallery shows how much of a dork Grant is. :-P

While Barry’s visit to “Supergirl” won’t have direct narrative repercussions on “The Flash,” Gustin says filming the crossover had an unintended effect on the Scarlet Speedster. “My favorite thing about it was we were shooting our Episode 18 of ‘Flash’ when I was simultaneously popping back and forth and doing ‘Supergirl’s’ Episode 18, and it’s the episode where

Barry does disappear and go to this other Earth, so it coincided perfectly,” he recalls. “Barry’s kind of going through it, as he does towards the end of the season, and it’s heavy and he’s been kind of down

and this event — which doesn’t read at all in ‘The Flash’ script as affecting Barry — because he’s gone and he’s on ‘Supergirl,’ when he comes back, it really ended up affecting my mood on that episode of ‘Flash’ and kind of changed the arc for Barry for the next couple episodes. It helped give him some confidence knowing he had this other ally out there. He just came back with a more positive outlook than I would’ve expected him to after breaking the dimensional barrier and disappearing for a full day.”

Not sure how much of a spoiler that is, but I tagged it just in case.

What I'm got from this (and the promos) is: prepare for adorkableness overload!

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1

They seem to be putting all their eggs in this crossover basket, given the amount of promotion it's gotten. Are they waiting to see if the episode gets a big ratings bump and then they can justify renewing it? That seems kinda silly though, because who knows if that bump would last after the one episode?

• Love 2

NY Times article about the crossover:

The audience demographics for CBS (generally older) and the CW (generally younger) mean that both shows stand to gain from a crossover. “Supergirl” soared upon its premiere last fall with almost 13 million viewers but has been in steady decline. Its most recent episode had just under six million viewers — fewer than many of its neighbors on CBS. On the other hand, the first season of “The Flash” was the CW’s highest-rated show in 2014, averaging close to four million viewers. The episode may bring new viewers to each show.

The groundwork for Monday’s meeting can be traced back to the CW series “Arrow,” which began in 2012. That series follows the adventures of Oliver Queen, an urban vigilante known as Green Arrow in the comics, and its success helped open the door to more DC heroes on television. “I don’t think my partners at DC knew five years ago that it would grow,” Mr. Berlanti said. “If the interest had not been there on the part of fans, if people hadn’t been as supportive as they’ve been, none of this would happen.”

They seem to be putting all their eggs in this crossover basket, given the amount of promotion it's gotten. Are they waiting to see if the episode gets a big ratings bump and then they can justify renewing it? That seems kinda silly though, because who knows if that bump would last after the one episode?

Maybe they should have kept Supergirl in the CW family, so to speak. You know, air it on the CW?

• Love 2
Maybe they should have kept Supergirl in the CW family, so to speak. You know, air it on the CW?

Maybe as a CW summer show, short season.

The groundwork for Monday’s meeting can be traced back to the CW series “Arrow,” which began in 2012. That series follows the adventures of Oliver Queen, an urban vigilante known as Green Arrow in the comics, and its success helped open the door to more DC heroes on television.

No, it can be traced back to 2001

Edited by WildcardC
  • Love 3

The thing is, since Supergirl started on CBS, they would want a piece of the pie even if it moved to another network. So, they would probably still want to have some level of control-- sort of like how the show Criminal Minds airs on CBS but is still co-owned by ABC so it makes the contract negotiations and renewals more complicated. I doubt CBS would relinquish control entirely and that network can be a bag of dicks when it comes to contract negotiations and such. So, it probably wouldn't be good for the Supergirl show.

Honestly I don't think the Supergirl show is worth saving. They ran the same tired "Team Supergirl!" formula there too and it just continues to infantilize powerful superheroes. The "Team" dynamic really only works for non-powered heroes like Batman and Arrow. For superheroes like Flash and Supergirl or Superman it's just unnecessary and tends to take away from the isolation they can feel due to being superpowered amongst non-powered people (or even aliens among humans)...

It only worked on Smallville because they didn't overrun the show with the "team dynamic" until it was Clark working with other superheroes - in a justice league sense. And then once Clark got really powerful, they switched to the Lois & Clark dynamic that always works. But this whole "support team" thing just doesn't work for me... especially not with powerful super heroes.

• Love 2

10 Best Things About the Supergirl-Flash Crossover (with gifs!):

While Batman and Superman are trying to blow each other up at the box office, over on the small screen Supergirl and the Flash are engaging in one of my all-time favorite comics tropes: the Superhero Team Up! I don’t like seeing superheroes fight. In fact, I don’t even like the classic “who would win in a fight” question. I much prefer the “if you combined these two characters and their powers, what awesome thing could they do” question. ...

... Superfriendship is magic.

The love of 'Kara's ice cream face' is near universal!

• Love 2

Andy Mientus interview about Pied Piper:

This was the first time that I've had to do that thing that you hear about as an actor, where you're doing a scene with an "X" on a stick, a tennis ball on a stick. You're working with something that's not actually there. I was actually surprised when I shot the Season One episodes and how much the effects were practical and real. A lot of those cars blowing up and flipping over in that bridge scene was really happening in front of me. I was shocked by that. I thought for sure it was all going to be CGI. This time I had to do some acting with literally a tennis ball on a stick. It's one of those actor challenges that you have to chuckle at and then commit to fully. It felt like some milestone in my personal career, to finally get to that point.

Danielle Panabaker, Robbie Amell, and Keiynan Lonsdale were at Emerald City Comicon; quotes from the panel:

"It was an amazing experience," Lonsdale added. "To have a director [Kevin Smith] who's so excited to be involved with what we were doing -- it brought such amazing energy to the set. He was just as eager as we were, and as eager as the fans, to create and to honor something people love."

Teddy Sears discusses Zoom *spoilers*:

What’s really exciting about going and looking at Hunter Zolomon’s origin story is that it very closely mirrors

the Barry Allen origin story

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1

So, Robbie wants back on the show. I guess he shouldn't have said he wanted out in the first place. I mean, I can understand why he wouldn't want to commit to a series, but I think it might be a little too late to go back now that they replaced Ronnie with Jax.

• Love 1

So, Robbie wants back on the show. I guess he shouldn't have said he wanted out in the first place. I mean, I can understand why he wouldn't want to commit to a series, but I think it might be a little too late to go back now that they replaced Ronnie with Jax.

Yeah - the only way this would work is to kill off Jax - or do some weird thing where both can exist? I dunno. I don't know how they can bring him back as Firestorm. Maybe he can come back as Ronnie? But that would be boring.

Robbie messed up. I mean - way to go for your dreams - but he should have asked for an opening for coming back when he did leave. And honestly - I don't think he should have leaped at films that fast.

Edited by phoenics
  • Love 2