Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: How To Get Away With Off-Topic Stuff

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

Not sure if this qualifies but, after watching the first three episodes in a binge, this series confirms every negative thought I've ever had about the law profession.  Yes, I know it is fiction.  I may have missed it, but I haven't seen one admirable character in the whole thing.  I don't think I'm going to last with this series.  After three hours with morally bankrupt characters, I honestly don't care what happens to the lot of them. 

• Love 1

I saw the first 20 minutes of the first episode and couldn't stand it--the timeline confusion, the utterly ridiculous premise that law students are running around in the dark with a body, etc.  But I like both Viola Davis and Shonda Rhimes.  So what's the word on this show?  Do you love it?

Am I walking away from a meaningful ten-year relationship like the one I've had with Grey's Anatomy?

I saw the first 20 minutes of the first episode and couldn't stand it--the timeline confusion, the utterly ridiculous premise that law students are running around in the dark with a body, etc.  But I like both Viola Davis and Shonda Rhimes.  So what's the word on this show?  Do you love it?

Am I walking away from a meaningful ten-year relationship like the one I've had with Grey's Anatomy?

I recommend you keep walking. It doesn't get any less ridiculous. I'm not sure why I'm still watching - I guess it's to see how the two murders are resolved and because it's a short (15-episode) season. And for Viola Davis. But I kind of hate myself.

• Love 1

I recommend you keep walking. It doesn't get any less ridiculous. I'm not sure why I'm still watching - I guess it's to see how the two murders are resolved and because it's a short (15-episode) season. And for Viola Davis. But I kind of hate myself.

Thanks, Babalu.  I deleted the whole eight-hour queue and it feels right--like I netted a bonus chunk of life.  Let's hope I convert that into reading a profoundly meaningful book instead of four short naps.  : )

Thanks, Babalu.  I deleted the whole eight-hour queue and it feels right--like I netted a bonus chunk of life.  Let's hope I convert that into reading a profoundly meaningful book instead of four short naps.  : )

Hey, naps are good too! :D

Just one more episode, Show, and then I will quit you.

I love it, ridiculous and all. I find you have to be able to suspend disbelief for most TV shows these days. My husband & I are both in the medical profession and Grey's Anatomy drives him crazy, he won't watch 5 minutes of it. I just laugh off that type of stuff and enjoy the rest. I find this show quite intriguing!

• Love 3

I love it, ridiculous and all. I find you have to be able to suspend disbelief for most TV shows these days. My husband & I are both in the medical profession and Grey's Anatomy drives him crazy, he won't watch 5 minutes of it. I just laugh off that type of stuff and enjoy the rest. I find this show quite intriguing!

I agree with you.  There are quite a few shows I enjoy watching that require I disregard the absurdity of the story.   Scandal is one.  Scorpion is another.  I watch them because they're entertaining and not because they're factually accurate or mentally stimulating.  

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 1

It has nothing to do with the show but I'm French and just learned that 3 terrorist attacks were lead, there are more than 60 deaths, and a hostage situation going on. I am not in Paris but such scenes really make me doubt of human nature. Sorry to kill the mood but I had to leave a word and a thought for all these people that died while they just wanted to enjoy a nice Friday night.

I'm doing my Season 2 rewatch in preparation of next month's premiere and I remain amazed that with all the horrid things she has done, Annalise remains the only person in the cast who has not intentionally committed murder (Frank, Bonnie, Asher), unintentional murder (The Keating Four) or attempted murder (Wes), yet somehow Annalise is held accountable sometimes even by the criminals themselves for the wrong they have done.  Heck, even when she framed Nate, none of te self-righteous blamers stood up to clear Nate's name.  So I guess my take away from the show is that Annalise picks her students not for their potential as lawyers but rather because the morally despicable clearly recognize their brethren.

• Love 5

Matt McGorry's name pops up every so often in alumni publications (he went to Emerson College, where I went for grad school). Just got notice of this event, which is open to the public (and free!): An Evening with Matt McGorry & Tyler Kingkade  The event description: 

Matt McGorry, actor/director and Emerson alum '08, will be here at Emerson in a conversation with Tyler Kingkade, Buzzfeed and Huffington Post journalist. They will discuss their efforts to dismantle power-based violence and shape the community they want to be a part of. What role will you play?

This is clearly not a fan event, but if you're interested in the subject and want to see McGorry, here's your chance.  

• Love 1
On 8/31/2016 at 9:09 PM, Happytobehere said:

I'm doing my Season 2 rewatch in preparation of next month's premiere and I remain amazed that with all the horrid things she has done, Annalise remains the only person in the cast who has not intentionally committed murder (Frank, Bonnie, Asher), unintentional murder (The Keating Four) or attempted murder (Wes)

Whoops -- hired a guy she thought was a hitman  -- if he was quicker and Frank was slower, Annalise would have a body on her count.

On 10/23/2016 at 0:12 AM, possibilities said:

Actually, she hired him to find Frank, but he had to call her to ask what she wanted him to do once having found him. And while she was deciding, Frank killed the hit man. So it's at least possible she would not have ordered the kill.

Whom they have decided to make like 007 or something. I don't like it. What happened to my guy in his 3 piece suit? Well, he's off shooting people in the head from distances unknown and probably without a scope, killing a hit man with his bare hands, and ramming a tree with a car before setting it on fire and walking away. I really miss my adorable jerk from the old days. :(

My DVR is messing me up. Most episodes, only about 20 minutes are recorded. Other times I get a different show recorded instead, and HTGAWM is recorded under a different header, or not at all. 

The end result, it's too much work to find the episodes and watch them in order, and I'm losing interest.

I also understand that folks have a different perspective, but when that seems to end at "well, you just aren't seeing what you are doing wrong", I don't see how a proper discussion is being had on the broader issues that aren't granular to an episode and I'm not sure the episode thread is where they should be had when they are not really relevant to the episode at hand. 

I think on a show like this it sometimes become difficult to figure out what goes in an episode thread, a character thread, or any other non-episode thread simply because there is a lot of overlapping. For example, I made a comment about the Asher/Gustav scene. It could have gone in the Asher thread as a way to highlight his growth beyond his CIS male privilege, it could go in the romance thread, and it belongs in the episode thread as an interaction that occurred in this recent episode.

I think most of us try to keep these lines as unblurred as possible, but it's not always easy. On the old TWoP forums a lot of this would have been considered "boards on boards" or talking about the forums instead of the show. Social media has changed and so I think this site is a little more flexible about that sort of thing.

Edited by Milaxx
  • Love 2

I think you are right and I think the looser rules are absolutely for the better.  As always, I have the option of zipping through lots of posts that are irrelevant to what I find interesting about the show (and I often do), but generally like that we can all see tons of different perspectives on (or tangentially related to) the same episodes (and mostly I learn a lot from these different perspectives that I wouldn't have thought of).

Sometimes, though, I think it goes a bit off the rails or gets bogged down.  I was just frustrated in the last episode thread that there was a rather high level of definitively diagnosing other peoples intentions in their speculations on a show that invites speculation that really bothered me, so I expressed that.  It's all good and that thread has continued moving along, so all is well:)

Edited by pennben
  • Love 3

@Keepitmoving

Oh yeah, Brad and Angelina in that Mr. and Mrs. Smith, but we all see how that love story turned out, damn.  Angelina is a piece of shit for lying about child abuse she went there and that was a huge mistake. He should sue her.

Every account I've seen of the child abuse allegations has said that it was likely a third party at the airport in Minnesota or LA who called child protective services. I've seen nothing that indicated that Angelina lied. Even in Brad's recounting of the incident, he was completely drunk. He got into an argument with Angelina. Maddox stepped between them to try to stop it and Brad shoved Maddox out of the way. Some people may or may not view his behavior as abusive, but I definitely think it's problematic enough to be investigated. There were witnesses to his actions and honestly, nothing for him to sue over. Even if he wanted to, those two were together for a long time, but only married for a short while. Only a dipshit would sue over something he did and open himself up for all of his dirt to see the light. If my client wanted to do that, I would drop them.

Short question: I am a real HTGAWM addict and between the seasons always desperately looking for alternatives. Anybody has a tip which series is (at least a bit) as intriguing as HTGAWM?

THANK YOU!:)

@Aleks, have you ever seen Damages? It's on Netflix and is very similar to this show, now that I think about it. Morally ambiguous lawyers, murdered significant other, flashback/flashforward format. It's really really good. The first season is perfection. The rest, not so much, but you should definitely try season 1.

• Love 2