Type keyword(s) to search

Roswell, New Mexico: In the Media

• Start Topic

(edited)

Is 'the perfect bisexual' actually represented anywhere on tv? Perfect anything is boring on tv, but I don't think that's where a lot of people's issues are with the storyline. But she's always liked to stir up controversy.

With the "our show is about islamophobia" commect, well that gets more chatter (good and bad) than just saying "our show is about lots of unrepresented/discriminated motifs and people".

Edited by Featherhat
On 6/7/2019 at 9:34 AM, KittenPokerCheater said:

Wait, what??  The whole show?  

What about undocumented immigrants?  And pro-non-binary and gay characters?  And minority characters?

#perplexed

I really thought it was about xenophobia and general bigotry more than anything. I didn’t see islamaphobia coming. It’s one of the social issues the show never touched on or felt like a clumsy metaphor for.

The Muslim quote is just weird. There’s pressure to show the good Muslim because the media representation of Muslims is usually negative. You have to actually do the good Muslim consistently before moving on... and I don’t think she could write the perfect bisexual because she’s bad at her job. And I want to know who’s deciding it’s time to move beyond the good Muslim.

• Love 3

We’re very excited that Jason will be joining us for a multi-episode arc,” executive producer Carina Adly MacKenzie said in a statement. “It’s only fitting that he’s playing a (currently top secret) character with deep ties to Roswell, New Mexico’s history. Working with him has already been such a special experience for all of us, particularly when [Roswell co-star] Shiri Appleby was on set to direct him. I was such a huge fan of Roswell as a kid, so having their stamp of approval –– not to mention their expertise and advice –– has really meant the world to me, the cast and the crew.”

: Gaius Charles, best known for playing Smash Williams on Friday Night Lights, will also recur in Season 2 as Bronson, “a local farmer with a strong moral compass that leads him to see the good in people — and aliens — in a time of great prejudice. Ultimately, his quest to protect those he loves pits him against forces far more powerful than he is.”

Added executive producer Chris Hollier, “When we were looking at a way to instantly have our audience be invested in a 1947 storyline, we couldn’t think of a better actor than Gaius Charles to create a character to hook into. We feel so lucky that he agreed to come help us tell this lyrical story within a story.”

https://tvline.com/2019/10/06/roswell-new-mexico-season-2-cast-jason-behr-gaius-charles/

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

Well that is definitely one way to get me interested. I'm sure he wont be an alien but I want him to be!

Darn. I'd taken RNM off my DVR. Now I have to put it back on.

• LOL 2
13 hours ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

I would guess after Arrow ends its run?

I figured Legends of Tomorrow would probably get the Arrow slot. I was wondering if maybe Nancy Drew is a shortened series that Roswell would replace. Guess we'll find out soon!

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Jenniferbug said:

I figured Legends of Tomorrow would probably get the Arrow slot. I was wondering if maybe Nancy Drew is a shortened series that Roswell would replace. Guess we'll find out soon!

Roswell did ok after The Flash last season so that's why I think they'll probably just do that again. 

The only other timeslot I could see it taking is one of the Monday timeslots, if they do end up putting Legends after The Flash.

• Love 2

Well that Jason Behr tidbit might actually make me watch.  Might.  I love JB.  I only wish they could give him some scenes with Shiri.  I would literally give anything to see them onscreen together again.

• LOL 1
On 12/4/2019 at 8:01 PM, phoenics said:

Well that Jason Behr tidbit might actually make me watch.  Might.  I love JB.  I only wish they could give him some scenes with Shiri.  I would literally give anything to see them onscreen together again.

It's unfortunately forcing me trudge through season 2, because dammit, I miss that beautiful face on my screen.  But if I can know ahead of time which 5 of the 13 episodes he's in, I might just go with those.  I would do anything to see him and Shiri onscreen together again, even if it's them just staring longingly at each other.  I miss that kind of chemistry.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, ellieart said:

I miss that kind of chemistry.

ME TOO!

That's what nuMax & nuLiz were SUPPOSED to give us, but I'm sorry - it's a pale imitation of the OGs.  That was lightning in a bottle. 

I'm still mad that we never got to see the OG Max & Liz lovescene.  It was edited from the series finale.  I'm STILL mad.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, phoenics said:

ME TOO!

That's what nuMax & nuLiz were SUPPOSED to give us, but I'm sorry - it's a pale imitation of the OGs.  That was lightning in a bottle. 

I'm still mad that we never got to see the OG Max & Liz lovescene.  It was edited from the series finale.  I'm STILL mad.

I've never gotten over the fact that we had to see Max & Tess and never got Max & Liz.  I WILL NEVER BE OK WITH THAT!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, CabotCove said:

Well awesome news about renewal, but I hate waiting for Roswell NM to start second season in March!. First we dont get a fall premiere, then they dont even get a January date.

March!😤😤

March premiere date may prove to be the show’s wisest decision WRT capturing a TV audience. Roswell will still be airing after a lot have wrapped for the season. 

• Love 1

March premiere date may prove to be the show’s wisest decision WRT capturing a TV audience. Roswell will still be airing after a lot have wrapped for the season. 

Most Broadcast networks TV shows wrap up in May. I just think the late premiere has ruined this show's chances of getting a much bigger audience. I dont know why CW wont give its new shows a better chances to succeed like they used to do in the past. Shows like The Vampire Diaries, Supernatural,The Flash, Riverdale etc, always used to get fall premieres and at 8. And they became the networks biggest shows. 

(edited)

Interesting thread from Carina's twitter. Guess she has been getting called out on the regular regarding misogynoir + anti-Black racism onscreen and behind the scenes 

Edited by Chick2Chic
fixed something.
  • Love 3
(edited)

She SHOULD be getting called out about it on the regular.  But I don't know, it seems too late for her to now consult experts on how to write her show and her only black main character.  The one she purposely racebent, gave away her canon importance and relationships, and then threw under the bus with a very controversial decision.  Parts of the fandom are really damn disgusting with their behavior and consulting experts won't change that.  The people who hate Maria will still hate her.  She's always consulting experts and she's still making questionable decisions.  It's just hard for me to believe anything she says.

Edited by ellieart
  • Love 1

Why does she need to consult experts? Doesn't she have any POC on her writing team? Unless she writes everything herself which would be stupid and no wonder she seems to fall into tropes when writing Maria, Michael and Alex. I just feel it's a little arrogant to think as a white woman she thinks she can write an African-American woman, bisexual and gay characters authentically. I wonder if she gets flack for how most of her characters are at least biracial (Kyle, Alex, Maria) but that doesn't seem to inform anything about their characters. Maybe she does, I just have no interest in following her on Twitter since I think it would make me too rage-y.

• Love 2

Guessing this is the best place to post this:

This board's Annual Awards Show, "The Primetimers," is still accepting nominations for the category of:
"Not You Again: Least Entertaining Villain" here: forums.primetimer.com/topic/109403-not-you-again-least-entertaining-villain 

It seems that there are plenty of annoying or "least entertaining villains" on this show, but I do not feel qualified to nominate any because I don't seem to be even staying awake through most episodes, never mind re-watching like I used to do with the OG Roswell.
I was thinking of nominating Helena, but now I'm not so sure she's a villain anymore. IDK. Maybe Alex's dad? (What's his name?)

Comic Con is going to be free online this year due to COVID-19. This panel hasn't been assigned an official timeslot yet so be sure to check the Comic Con website in the next week or so!

LGBTQ Representation on TV
Featuring Jamie Chung (Once Upon A Time), Jamie Clayton (Roswell: New Mexico), Wilson Cruz (Star Trek: Discovery), Tatiana Maslany (Perry Mason), Anthony Rapp (Star Trek: Discovery), J. August Richards (Council of Dads, Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.), Harry Shum, Jr. (Shadowhunters) and Brian Michael Smith (9-1-1: Lone Star), moderated by TV Guide's Jim Halterman.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 12/5/2019 at 9:26 PM, ellieart said:

It's unfortunately forcing me trudge through season 2, because dammit, I miss that beautiful face on my screen.  But if I can know ahead of time which 5 of the 13 episodes he's in, I might just go with those.  I would do anything to see him and Shiri onscreen together again, even if it's them just staring longingly at each other.  I miss that kind of chemistry.

If you're looking for that kind of chemistry - I just watched both seasons of Charmed and I won't say which couple has it (it happens in S2 though), but I am HOOKED forever and I finally have a ship that rivals M/L.  Finally.  So excited for their S3, but I am done with RNM - haven't watched since the spoilers about the threesome and it looks like I was absolutely right to bolt from this fake woke trainwreck.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, phoenics said:

If you're looking for that kind of chemistry - I just watched both seasons of Charmed and I won't say which couple has it (it happens in S2 though), but I am HOOKED forever and I finally have a ship that rivals M/L.  

Who is it? Maybe I'll check out Charmed lol.

• Love 1
On 6/3/2020 at 12:41 AM, Chick2Chic said:

Interesting thread from Carina's twitter. Guess she has been getting called out on the regular regarding misogynoir + anti-Black racism onscreen and behind the scenes 

I can't stand Carina.  I actively HATE her now.  Her writing was RACIAL VIOLENCE to black women who have suffered seeing black women characters erased in narratives for so long.  She created a triangle where no matter what, one under represented group was going to suffer.  And worse, she's turned Maria into a plot device with no interior life or love just like Bonnie Bennett.

I'm so mad this fake woke bish proved me right.  I wanted to be wrong.  I HATE that she's tainted Roswell with her BS.  Eff her.

2 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Who is it? Maybe I'll check out Charmed lol.

I don't wanna ruin it - but it's Hacy (Harry and Macy).

I recommend only watching the last 3 episodes of S1 and then watching S2.  The show switched showrunners between season and the tone shifts (imo for the better).  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I wanna allow her to makes changes and be better and I believe it's possible but honestly I don't think it's probable lol.

I wish you good luck - I really do!  I've decided to just watch once the series ends if I ever watch again.

It makes me sad because - it's Roswell - but I just can't do this to myself.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 6/23/2020 at 9:58 PM, Chick2Chic said:

This article on Maria and the writing is good. Also briefly mentions Liz being failed as the lead when it comes to writing. 

https://www.tvfanatic.com/2020/06/character-convo-dissecting-roswell-new-mexicos-maria-problem/

OMG this sums up EVERYTHING I have been feeling and saying with regards to Maria and is why I will NEVER come back to this racist (yes RACIST) show.

God I'm so angry.  I'm so SICK of this mess happening to the black women characters over and over again.  I'm so over it.

This snippet from one of the comments sums up my thoughts perfectly and why I can no longer watch this show:

Fine. That's valid. But we're upset that another black female character on another series has once again slipped into a clusterf**k of pitfalls and tropes that KEEP happening to black female characters. We're upset that the only black main character -- the black female character has no real storyline, limited development, no real individual character arc, limited exploration of other relationships, no real focus, is exclusively used as a plot device, AND her only romantic relationship was diminished by the end. And since that took up the majority of her storyline this season it's especially a slap in the face.

And since this is the only romantic relationship for her that they have given us, and they not only used it to center another relationship and reinforced the strong black woman who doesn't need a man trope, it's a sticking point for discussion. Whether she was with Michael or Max or Kyle or Gregory or Chad or Bert or whomever doesn't matter, if it played out like this in some capacity, it would still be about that narrative choice and the frustrations of that for Maria.

Perfectly said.

Edited by phoenics
  • Love 2