Type keyword(s) to search

Finals, Training Camp and Social Media

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, GBPackersfan said:

I highly doubt CMT has a say on who makes the team. But I do FIRMLY believe that they "suggest" certain girls be brought in for drama or storyline. If I remember correctly (and I may be way wrong, please correct me), back in the day before CMT, it was finals and then the team was announced. There wasn't a training camp of 45-ish, broken down to the magic 36. I mean, there would be no series if that were the case, right? And there have been other things I think that have been done for ratings: fan pick being one of them. I think K/J/C can say "look, these are definite no's, they aren't at all what we want in camp" and CMT will agree but will "suggest" some to be brought in. I think the ones that Kelli says "we brought you into camp to see how you would do" are definite CMT choices. Let's be real: "reality" TV is not true life, there is always some scripting and some adjustments for ratings. And it definitely benefits the organization to have such a high profile show being so long running on TV. 

Also, I am just now rewatching season 12. Can we please have more ettiquette with Colleen?? I LOVE her, and she isn't shown very often. 

I'm not sure if the team was announced immediately after finals, but I do remember reading an article with Kelli years ago where she basically said that prior to the show, they would take at most one or two extra girls and that as often as not, the girls they took a chance on would make the squad. Basically, cuts between finals and the first game were few and far between.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, lizzi6692 said:

I'm not sure if the team was announced immediately after finals, but I do remember reading an article with Kelli years ago where she basically said that prior to the show, they would take at most one or two extra girls and that as often as not, the girls they took a chance on would make the squad. Basically, cuts between finals and the first game were few and far between.

Now I'm trying to remember how many cuts there were during the original 2 hour special.  Does anyone remember?  I can think of Elizabeth.

5 hours ago, GBPackersfan said:

Can someone explain to me all the Brennan love? I'm just not seeing it. She doesn't have much personality, she isn't fun to watch dance, and so what if it's her THIRD time trying out? That's HER decision. I always think her face looks like she is smelling a fart. She is one I absolutely cannot root for. I did root hard for Megan Flaherty (RIP) but I still laugh at her final time in the office. That was beautiful, 

I completely agree. Particularly if the clip they used of her solo in the trailer is indicative of her whole audition. That move is a popular one in solo routines and it was probably one of the worst ones I've seen. As Kitty says "don't do trick you can't do". Ironically, VK did a similar move in her solo(which was the next clip shown) and hers was miles above Brennan's. 

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, scorpio1031 said:

Well, you know they don't have lives outside of this show:/  In the heat Dallas is having, I would be wanting to get home, get the 2 inch layer of makeup off my face, take a long cool shower, eat something and go to bed.  The Instagram story I saw Molly was already asleep in her locker:)

This heat we are having is no joke it’s brutal 

• Love 5

I agree that CMT had a big say in bringing Brennan back to make her a story line for ratings. But what I wonder, is if Brennan came back on her own merit, OR was she approached by CMT and asked to comeback so they could use her as a story? I know people change their minds, but she just seemed over it and blatantly said she wouldn't try out again, so I'm having a hard time believing she decided to give it one more go and magically made TC again. I doubt Kelli reached out and encouraged her to try out again; she and Judy seemed like Brennan was a solid "no" (hence cutting her twice).

I just have a hard time believing her return isn't manufactured. If CMT did approach her to essentially use her as a storyline, I hope they are atleast compensating her accordingly. 

• Love 3

I finally watched the promo clip for the next season:

1.  I know Dayton is moving on to bigger and better things, but that clip was hard to watch.  I don't know her personally but I wish her lots of luck and hope she has the time of her life working on the cruise ship

2.  I would rather watch the interaction between Meredith Oden and her mom again then watch Tina and Victoria

3.  Brennan looks better.  Sometimes I think they do a Sunni Cranfill and get tired/stressed and don't do well.  I hope she comes back like Sunni and kicks you know what.

5 minutes ago, NMDD43 said:

I agree that CMT had a big say in bringing Brennan back to make her a story line for ratings. But what I wonder, is if Brennan came back on her own merit, OR was she approached by CMT and asked to comeback so they could use her as a story? I know people change their minds, but she just seemed over it and blatantly said she wouldn't try out again, so I'm having a hard time believing she decided to give it one more go and magically made TC again. I doubt Kelli reached out and encouraged her to try out again; she and Judy seemed like Brennan was a solid "no" (hence cutting her twice).

I just have a hard time believing her return isn't manufactured. If CMT did approach her to essentially use her as a storyline, I hope they are atleast compensating her accordingly. 

I honestly hate the idea of any girl being used as a "storyline."  I realize that some love the attention, but this isn't a fictional plot line.  There are real feelings involved.  But hey, if they want to do that - yeah, pay them well:)

• Love 6
13 hours ago, nittanyvolleyball said:

Interesting how they're prominently featuring Victoria, probably because Dayton ended up getting cut.

Does Victoria’s hair always look like that?

• Love 1
15 hours ago, PrincessLeia said:

HOW DO YOU NOT KNOW WHAT FBI STANDS FOR????? Omg if my daughters are ever this dumb, I swear. ?‍♀️

Nerves.  Definitely nerves.  I have actually forgotten my own name out of sheer anxiety while being questioned in group discussions.

Also, my cold dead heart may or may not have cracked in half just now seeing Malena and Dayton in the preview ? 

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Stephieg84 said:

Pretty sure it was Kendall..

I just rewatched the uniform fittings for both season 6 and 11

season 6:

Courtney- Lisa says: “She’s back in the uniform, maybe you’ll get to keep it this one.” It looks like the “shell” she’s wearing is already tailored. 

Britney S- She comments on: it’s the exact same as last year. 

Cali- Cali says: “I was worried that they were going to ask me to put on my uniform from 5 years ago... and they did.” But, her shorts were too tight. 

Season 11- 

Kyndal gets her old uniform (it has fringe), but Lisa doesn’t say anything about her keeping it. Her uniform doesn’t have stars- just fringe sewed on. 

• Love 3

Regarding the video promo for this season. If I were Shelley and Dayton, I would be a little bit upset by this. They show Dayton crying, and Victoria in all these glamorous 

shots. Seems like there is definitely some favoritism. Just my thought.

• Love 7

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with them showing Dayton crying and not Victoria. They’re not the same person, nor under the same circumstances. Obviously, Dayton has been cut. Victoria hasn’t. That’s just reality. 

I do however think it’s odd that they didn’t mention Dayton in the part of the promo that talks about legacies. Perhaps they feel like they covered that angle with Dayton last year though. 

Speaking of weight issues, the show has never shied away from calling out girls for weight problems. I am curious if the current events surrounding pro cheerleading may cause them to hold back on airing those complaints as much, just for publicity issues.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, Jess14 said:

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with them showing Dayton crying and not Victoria. They’re not the same person, nor under the same circumstances. Obviously, Dayton has been cut. Victoria hasn’t. That’s just reality. 

I do however think it’s odd that they didn’t mention Dayton in the part of the promo that talks about legacies. Perhaps they feel like they covered that angle with Dayton last year though. 

I get what you are saying, but I would have been nice if they would have showed Dayton in a more positive way for the promo. Everyone will see she got cut when the show airs, but

for her being so close to K&J, you would think they would make sure she looked better in the promo. Just my opinion. I find it a little degrading.

• Love 9
1 minute ago, DBAAT said:

I get what you are saying, but I would have been nice if they would have showed Dayton in a more positive way for the promo. Everyone will see she got cut when the show airs, but

for her being so close to K&J, you would think they would make sure she looked better in the promo. Just my opinion. I find it a little degrading.

I agree, just in a more general sense. I don’t like seeing the clips of the girls crying, Dayton or Malena (?). They all know what they’re getting into signing up for the show, but still....i would hate for some of my lowest and most heartbreaking moments to be not just aired on tv but also used in a promo. I just don’t see it as Dayton v Victoria thing. If they also showed a clip of Victoria in tears and not Dayton, I would also cringe at it. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Gham said:

Cianna Levi is one of the 5% of girls this year that has no connection! She danced from the Portland Trailblazers. She is one of the nicest and most genuine girls with the biggest heart. She also is very talented when it comes to dance. I would love to see her make the team!

I heard she was recruited.  So she is connected.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Taralightner said:

I just rewatched the uniform fittings for both season 6 and 11

season 6:

Courtney- Lisa says: “She’s back in the uniform, maybe you’ll get to keep it this one.” It looks like the “shell” she’s wearing is already tailored. 

Britney S- She comments on: it’s the exact same as last year. 

Cali- Cali says: “I was worried that they were going to ask me to put on my uniform from 5 years ago... and they did.” But, her shorts were too tight. 

Season 11- 

Kyndal gets her old uniform (it has fringe), but Lisa doesn’t say anything about her keeping it. Her uniform doesn’t have stars- just fringe sewed on. 

I thought Kyndall's uniform was complete (what I could remember ) from the previous season's TC's cameo shoot.  I remember Natalie Woods fit into the same uniform from season 1 when she came back in season 2. Both girls did the cameo shoots their 1st time in TC. I wonder if they remove the stars when it's put in storage.

(edited)

Dayton got the last laugh. She has moved on to something, in my opinion, is much better than being a DCC. I see a bright future ahead for her. #teamShelly #teamDayton

Edited by bigskygirl
10 hours ago, Gham said:

Cianna Levi is one of the 5% of girls this year that has no connection! She danced from the Portland Trailblazers. She is one of the nicest and most genuine girls with the biggest heart. She also is very talented when it comes to dance. I would love to see her make the team!

I wondered if she knows Royesha (finalist 2 years ago) and auditioned because of her.

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, MrsEVH said:

I thought Kyndall's uniform was complete (what I could remember ) from the previous season's TC's cameo shoot.  I remember Natalie Woods fit into the same uniform from season 1 when she came back in season 2. Both girls did the cameo shoots their 1st time in TC. I wonder if they remove the stars when it's put in storage.

When we see DCC putting on uniforms for team photos, game days, we see them putting on the stars. We’ve seen the stars come attached to some kind of folded board. I think this is to protect them, but they aren’t permanently fixed on the uniforms. 

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

Dayton got the last laugh. She has moved on to something, in my opinion, is much better than being a DCC. I see a bright future ahead for her. #teamShelly #teamDayton

I agree!!! Kind of makes me sad that Victoria's mom has groomed her to have DCC as her ultimate goal. Would be curious to know what kind of grades she received in HS or

if she is planning on college.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, MrsEVH said:

I think Kalli had to get a larger size in season 6. Kyndall's uniform from the previous season still had all the stars on it when she tried in on the 2nd time in TC.  I wonder if there was ever a TCC who came back to TC after being cut and did not fit into her uniform from the pervious season..

Yeah, now that you mention it, you are right... I know they had still kept it and she tried it on, but she had put a little bit of weight on..

I am not sure if there was or not.... If they didn't fit their outfit in the next year (especially if they are too large for the uniform), i could imagine that would be a pretty quick way to be cut...

4 hours ago, lfedncr said:

After watching the trailer for the new season, you definitely know who’s favored as a vet.  You also know who’s in and who’s out for some of the TCC.  

It seems to me that they just used footage mainly from last season, where Kashara was the point. 

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, mayelynn said:

Yeah, now that you mention it, you are right... I know they had still kept it and she tried it on, but she had put a little bit of weight on..

I am not sure if there was or not.... If they didn't fit their outfit in the next year (especially if they are too large for the uniform), i could imagine that would be a pretty quick way to be cut...

Megan Sharp had to get a larger size pair of shorts for cameos during her 4th year. She was one of 5 who got called in for weight issues. She then retired after that season.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, 5678Pixie said:

I heard she was recruited.  So she is connected.

Does anyone know if Jalyn has any connections?? I got the feeling she was an outsider. I'm rooting for her.

• Love 3

In the first few seasons of this show, they didn't make as big a deal about the numbers...the whole countdown of, "We started with 44 and we want a squad of 36 so there are X number of cuts left."  I seem to remember that occasionally TCCs would disappear and we would never see their cuts.  

Thanks to a lovely stomach flu I watched a couple old seasons last weekend and there was one year (maybe Season 7) where a total mystery TCC (to me at least) showed up!  She was in the early shots of Training Camp, in the "pink and blue" scenes where everyone's on the floor.  She had medium skin, looked maybe biracial, with long curly hair.  I have no memory of this girl whatsoever, and after the first couple eps she was just GONE.  

• Love 1
(edited)
13 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

Just saw a FB post (not on the DCC official page) that there was a cut last night.

Did they say who it was or who it might have been 

Edited by Holly85
(edited)
13 minutes ago, Nancybeth said:

In the first few seasons of this show, they didn't make as big a deal about the numbers...the whole countdown of, "We started with 44 and we want a squad of 36 so there are X number of cuts left."  I seem to remember that occasionally TCCs would disappear and we would never see their cuts.  

Thanks to a lovely stomach flu I watched a couple old seasons last weekend and there was one year (maybe Season 7) where a total mystery TCC (to me at least) showed up!  She was in the early shots of Training Camp, in the "pink and blue" scenes where everyone's on the floor.  She had medium skin, looked maybe biracial, with long curly hair.  I have no memory of this girl whatsoever, and after the first couple eps she was just GONE.  

I think she was released from training camp after a legal issue. They never (rightfully IMO) discussed it on the show. I don’t remember her name, but she looked like a strong dancer in several of the clips.

Edited by Jess14
10 minutes ago, Jess14 said:

I think she was released from training camp after a legal issue. They never (rightfully IMO) discussed it on the show. I don’t remember her name, but she looked like a strong dancer in several of the clips.

I think that was Sinita and they did not show her cut on the show. I do think she had some legal difficulties. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, MrsEVH said:

Megan Sharp had to get a larger size pair of shorts for cameos during her 4th year. She was one of 5 who got called in for weight issues. She then retired after that season.

If it's true she gained weight from a thyroid issue, then she has all my sympathy cause until you get that diagnosed and under control, your body goes haywire.  She got married after she retired, so that may have been the reason.

She was one of my faves from day 1.  She got called in once I think, dialed it up and was on show group and a second group leader.

• Love 4
(edited)
18 minutes ago, scorpio1031 said:

If it's true she gained weight from a thyroid issue, then she has all my sympathy cause until you get that diagnosed and under control, your body goes haywire.  She got married after she retired, so that may have been the reason.

She was one of my faves from day 1.  She got called in once I think, dialed it up and was on show group and a second group leader.

So true! I had a radiation treatment after my Graves Disease came back in 2012. After I started the one thyroid hormone replacement medication in late January 2013, I have been sick and miserable with multiple health issues related to my thyroid disorder for five and a half years. I have sympathy for any of the girls who have thyroid disorders while being on the team. I think Jordan Ketchum wrote an article on the DCC website page stating she had hypothyroidism while she was on the squad.

Edited by bigskygirl

Re: FBI.  Nerves can wreak havoc on the brain.  I have always thought that Kelsey’s 50 yards comment was just a quick mistake because in her head, she sees the 50 yard line.  I know I would probably make a similar mistake if I was extremely nervous....and panel interviews are as intimidating as heck!

• Love 7
On 7/13/2018 at 9:29 PM, EricaShadows said:

In a way, I think it's sad that there are girls who are talented dancers and are stunning looks-wise (or can get that way with some minor tweaks) but won't get the chance to make the squad because they aren't connected in some way with the DCC.  It would be a refreshing change if they went entirely with girls who WEREN'T connected in any way with the organization for at least one year and, if that was a success, keep going.   As much as I don't like it, I know that, in a lot of places, it's now what you know (or what you can do), but who you know and that sad but true.  

I do know dance & cheer was huge in Texas when I was living there...so everyone knows someone, even for the big boat auditions.  

2 hours ago, Nancybeth said:

I've seen her too! I have no idea who she is, where she went, or what happened to her. I thought I was losing my mind, I had to rewatch to see. 

18 minutes ago, GBPackersfan said:

I've seen her too! I have no idea who she is, where she went, or what happened to her. I thought I was losing my mind, I had to rewatch to see. 

She was on the 2015-16 Capital City Dancers for the Austin Spurs. I saw 1or 2 videos on youtube with her in it.

The girl you're referring to is Sintia.  She made it to Training Camp, was considered an amazing dancer, and made it quite far into the season, but had a run-in with the law (some said her run-in happened during Training Camp, in early August).  From what I gather, Sintia was charged with assault and battery, but I'm not able to confirm that for myself.

• Love 4

There seem to be a lot of opinions and observations about Brennan on this forum.  Well, I personally don't know Brennan.   Probably will never meat her.  But, I do personally know someone who was on the squad for 4 years and went through the first TC with her.  I even had the privilege of attending a few "Meet the Team" nights.  That said, I'm definitely rooting for Brennan and hope she makes it.  Here's why!  The first TC she was cut, I didn't disagree with the reasons.  She needed more time.  Last year, however....a different story.  If you recall, they did a short feature on her prior to her being cut from training camp. They went to her home, interviewed her, which all certainly seemed to give us the impression - no drama - no nonsense!  Just a young lady who displayed complete dedication, hard work, respect for the organization and a clear passion to succeed. And then...during her exit...Kelli basically says "you look awkward, you're not the right fit, we're done...."   She and Judy both came across as "We could not possibly cared less. We're bored, so let's just get this over with and move on".  It was about as absent of appreciation and compassion for her time and hard work as you could possibly get.  My point...why didn't Brennan deserve the same heartfelt empathy that Amy got a few seasons back (who tried out several times, was one of the last cuts, but simply wasn't the right fit), or the girl (can't remember her name) who's kicks were a deal breaker but had everything else going for her.  She was clearly broken, and in return shown nothing but true appreciation from Kelli and Judy.  In all 12 seasons of watching the show, last year's exit interview with Brennan was the without a doubt the worst one I've seen for someone who in every way appeared to be "giving their all."  There have been others of course, but I think I've made my point. 

Whatever your opinions are about her appearance/looks...you're entitled to them.  After reading so many unkind comments (and I hope she hasn't seen them)  if I were in her shoes...after last year...not sure I would have returned.  But...good for her for not letting anyone  or anything stand in the way of trying again.  

All that to say...now they've featured her in a promo commercial.  If (as speculated in this Forum) they are using her this season just for "ratings"....then, SHAME ON THEM!   If they keep her up to the end of TC, and then cut her again... I will not watch this season or any other.  No one should be humiliated for putting themselves through such a hard process; being kept for practically the entire duration of training, and then treated so coldly.   Instead, if they have followed the rules, caused no problems or shown disrespect to the Cowboys organization, then they should absolutely have every reason to hold their heads high.   This we know....the public can and will be cruel.  Whether it's Brennan or any other vet or training camp candidate, they ALL deserve to be respected and shown appreciation for simply having the guts to try.  

Anxiously waiting to see how this turns out...

• Love 19
3 hours ago, English Teacher said:

Re: FBI.  Nerves can wreak havoc on the brain.  I have always thought that Kelsey’s 50 yards comment was just a quick mistake because in her head, she sees the 50 yard line.  I know I would probably make a similar mistake if I was extremely nervous....and panel interviews are as intimidating as heck!

Remember when we did spelling bees in school and they would always start with the easiest words?  Those were the worst cause they seemed easy but your mouth would jump ahead of your brain.  Nerves.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Nancybeth said:

They've harped on the 36 number since the very first season. I remember after one of the last cuts were made Brooke saying something like, "They've been saying the number 36 all summer and now we're at 36 but they haven't said we're the team yet".

And the girl from season 7 is Sintia. From what I understand she was arrested for assault and they did their best to just edit her out completely.