Type keyword(s) to search

Finals, Training Camp and Social Media

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Who is Travis Wall?

I have no problem if praying and having a relationship with God leaves people with peace and happiness. My problem is when people use religion to shove their views on everyone. I worked for a place who ran group homes for the developmentally disabled. One group home manager was religious and would go on and on about religion and trying to get staff to see her religious ways to the point where people were quitting right and left, and some went over her head to her boss asking something be done about it. The day she left  was a happy day, and I am surprise there was not a big party to celebrate.

Edited by bigskygirl
(edited)
2 hours ago, LaurenBrook said:

I guess it depends on your view of God.  Personally, I believe He cares about the desires of our hearts, no matter how silly they may seem to others.  I also don't believe that these girls (at least the ones who have a real relationship with God) actually believe that His number 1 priority is them getting onto a cheerleading squad or that it SHOULD be His number 1 priority.  When you believe that God has a purpose for your life and you feel like part of it could be who you get to inspire/meet/impact/etc. *through* a certain opportunity...well, I don't see anything wrong with praying for his guidance and for strength to get through some mentally and physically difficult situations. 

This is MY personal thought process on this.   I realize I am the odd person out, which I'm fine with lol  We are all entitled to our opinions. :) 

Getting back on track, SO excited about Travis Wall!! I absolutely LOVE his choreography!! I always enjoy seeing who they bring in to teach combos! 

Awww. I’m not religious anymore, but I do think your sentiment is perfectly stated.  IMO there’s a big difference between thoughtful prayer and hope for one’s dreams to line up with God’s path and some of the mess that makes me yell “OMG GIRL GOD IS IN THE TUB AND TOO BUSY FOR YOUR BULLSHIT.” 

Ahem.  

I thought Shelly’s post was both a little cheesy and sweet, which is kind of perfect for a mom whose daughter and BFF are going through a crazy experience together.

And yaaaaaaay Travis Wall! I gotta check listings for SYTYCD.  Loved him back early days. I’m so tickled when I actually know of the guest choreographers. 

Edited by kalibean
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, LaurenBrook said:

I guess it depends on your view of God.  Personally, I believe He cares about the desires of our hearts, no matter how silly they may seem to others.  I also don't believe that these girls (at least the ones who have a real relationship with God) actually believe that His number 1 priority is them getting onto a cheerleading squad or that it SHOULD be His number 1 priority.  When you believe that God has a purpose for your life and you feel like part of it could be who you get to inspire/meet/impact/etc. *through* a certain opportunity...well, I don't see anything wrong with praying for his guidance and for strength to get through some mentally and physically difficult situations. 

This is MY personal thought process on this.   I realize I am the odd person out, which I'm fine with lol  We are all entitled to our opinions. :) 

Getting back on track, SO excited about Travis Wall!! I absolutely LOVE his choreography!! I always enjoy seeing who they bring in to teach combos! 

You are not. 

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, dccfan37 said:

Oh man I must have been mistaken then. I LOVE Travis and would love to have a choreo class with him

Show group auditions are happening! 

I feel bad that everyone has to try out for show group whether they can do it or want to do it.  Didn't someone say that Nicole B wanted to do it, but couldn't get the time off from work?  I'm sure other gals wanted to do it, but their job/school took priority.  It's like - hey, we know there is no chance of you doing this, but just try out anyway for the show.

I do, however, think it was nice of them to include Nicole in the trip to London.  Or when they took Malia and Kristen to Shanghai even though they weren't on show group.

• Love 1
(edited)
6 minutes ago, RedDelicious said:

I pray.  A lot.  For others and for animals who are in need.  I feel praying to god to make a cheerleading squad is foremost self-serving and frivolous. 

That reminds me of one of the Mannings (I don't remember which).  He said he always prays before games...not to win, he feels God doesn't really care about that, but so that no one gets injured.

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 14
8 minutes ago, scorpio1031 said:

I feel bad that everyone has to try out for show group whether they can do it or want to do it.  

It is like another audition for just the girls in TC.  It gives K&J another opportunity to see their talent and how they perform.  Everything they do is for a reason.  

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, ByTor said:

I am so glad I'm not the only one who thought this!  Nope, no clue who that is.

He is one of the most high demand choreographers in the dance world .  He has done a ton of choreography for So You Think You Can Dance.  His mother owns a fantastic studio in Colorado as well.  

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, ByTor said:

That reminds me of one of the Mannings (I don't remember which).  He said he always prays before games...not to win, he feels God doesn't really care about that, but so that no one gets injured.

I pray like crazy when I see horse races on tv.  I'm still not over Barbaro. 

• Love 3

Jen Ambrum ( who brought back the junior dcc) posted that show group auditions are tonight. And the next thing I saw in the insta stories was Jasmin Marie posted a photo at home so I think she got cut 

Screenshot_2018-06-19-18-24-34.png

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Angie said:

Jen Ambrum ( who brought back the junior dcc) posted that show group auditions are tonight. And the next thing I saw in the insta stories was Jasmin Marie posted a photo at home so I think she got cut 

Screenshot_2018-06-19-18-24-34.png

Jasmin possibly got cut? NOOOOO

Kristin Dodd has been posting some things on Instagram that make me think she could have been cut as well so maybe there's been two cuts and we just haven't found out about the second?  Hmmm . . . questions, questions.

• Love 3

Does anyone know around what page of the thread the pictures of al the TCCs with names would be or have a quick link to it? I'm not sure who Jasmin and Kristin are.  

14 minutes ago, EricaShadows said:

Kristin Dodd has been posting some things on Instagram that make me think she could have been cut as well so maybe there's been two cuts and we just haven't found out about the second?  Hmmm . . . questions, questions.

I was thinking the same thing... If there's been two cuts then there will be 7 more to get to the magical 36. 

1 hour ago, EricaShadows said:

Kristen Dodd tho said something on Kelli q s Ig saying my beautiful boot buddy 

2 hours ago, scorpio1031 said:

I feel bad that everyone has to try out for show group whether they can do it or want to do it.  Didn't someone say that Nicole B wanted to do it, but couldn't get the time off from work?  I'm sure other gals wanted to do it, but their job/school took priority.  It's like - hey, we know there is no chance of you doing this, but just try out anyway for the show.

I do, however, think it was nice of them to include Nicole in the trip to London.  Or when they took Malia and Kristen to Shanghai even though they weren't on show group.

I think they took all the group leaders to London. And I thought Kristen made Show Group in her last year.

10 minutes ago, dccfan37 said:

Ugh if Jasmin was seriously cut, I’m so sad. She was such a spunky little dancer UGH

I really have a feeling she was cut because Jen Amburn insta story with show group auditions was 3 hours ago and Jasmin's insta story with the picture of her friend Britney was also posted 3 hours ago. I loved Jasmin dancing and thought she would be selected for the team

(edited)
3 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

I pray.  A lot.  For others and for animals who are in need.  I feel praying to god to make a cheerleading squad is foremost self-serving and frivolous. 

I mean to do it right now, in Texas, in vapid. And kind of gives you a bad look character-wise. I know all sorts of things that fly in the places some of these women come from are apparently fine (like drinking shitty beer on a tractor, apparently). But people outside of the DCC bubble are going to look at someone, in Texas, praying about a cheerleading position at this moment and think they are at the very best horrificly uneducated about current event and at worst, ok with current events.

like you could just not post anything. I am not sure Jesus keeps a tally of instagram likes.

But given Dayotn’s crappy interview last season and lack of interest in something as basic as voting in a presidential election, again not surprised.

Edited by Lolfordays
  • Love 9
7 hours ago, EricaShadows said:

Things like what?

(edited)
6 hours ago, PrincessLeia said:
13 hours ago, ByTor said:

Really?  LOL I thought they were SO selective!  Unless it's about looks rather than talent.

Why do you think that? Most of the girls aren’t even that pretty. 

Don't they have something like 1,000 people auditioning?  I just assumed they'd have to be selective to whittle it down.  I also assumed it could be looks, I don't know what most of them look like. 

ETA: I went to the website, I guess it's subjective, I don't see one in the squad I wouldn't call pretty.

Edited by ByTor
40 minutes ago, ByTor said:

Don't they have something like 1,000 people auditioning?  I just assumed they'd have to be selective to whittle it down.  I also assumed it could be looks, I don't know what most of them look like. 

ETA: I went to the website, I guess it's subjective, I don't see one in the squad I wouldn't call pretty.

I’m honestly not sure. For years we frequently go to games because family has season tickets. They’re just not as big of a part of the game day action as DCC and no one really pays them much attention. To be fair, last year I skipped most of the games, so I don’t know what that squad looks like. In the past, a lot of the girls haven’t been my cup of tea. Many of them have been on the rougher side. My comment wasn’t very nice... none of them are ugly. I didn’t mean that. I’ve just found in prior years they lack the freshness of the DCC. 

(edited)
9 hours ago, ByTor said:

Thanks @lfedncr!

If not mistaken I do believe he was one of the top finalists back in Season 2 of the show.  His strength is definitely the contemporary style.  If they had show group auditions and he has been shown there, I would not be suprised even if he assisted with judging show group to add validity to who they chose.  Definitely interested in seeing what he did :)

Edited by lfedncr
Spelling
  • Love 5
(edited)

I'm not sure what people are seeing to think Jasmin may have gotten cut.  All she posted was her IG story about the AAIA ROTY and the wedding books her friends got her.  Where else would she post this from, if not from home? Maybe I'm not seeing what others are ??

Edited by Kayce
4 minutes ago, Kayce said:

I'm not sure what people are seeing to think Jasmin may have gotten cut.  All she posted was her IG story about the AAIA ROTY and the wedding books her friends got her.  Where else would she post this from, if not from home? 

I think it's the fact that she posted it at the same time that show group auditions were going on, implying she was not there.

• Love 2
(edited)
2 minutes ago, doglover0814 said:

I think it's the fact that she posted it at the same time that show group auditions were going on, implying she was not there.

I saw the IG story that Jasmin posted but just this morning and i don't follow Jenn because honestly I've never been a fan of hers.  Guess that's why I was curious.  Thanks :) 

1 hour ago, lfedncr said:

If not mistaken I do believe he was one of the top finalists back in Season 2 of the show.  His strength is definitely the contemporary style.  If they had show group auditions and he has been shown there, I would not be suprised even if he assisted with judging show group to add validity to who they chose.  Definitely interested in seeing what he did :)

I'd rather see his choreo any day as opposed to same old stuff that the girls come up with.  Jenn/Michelle/Stephanie....all of their stuff looks alike. 

Edited by Kayce
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, lfedncr said:

Travis was the S2 SYTYCD runner up.  He proved so popular, he became a resident choreographer and has won two Emmy's for his work, most notably in contemporary style.  He's also choreographed for DWTS, Step Up 4, Florence and the Machine and the Los Angeles Ballet among others.  He's a dancer's choreographer.  They love working with him.

• Love 8
10 hours ago, Lolfordays said:

I mean to do it right now, in Texas, in vapid. And kind of gives you a bad look character-wise. I know all sorts of things that fly in the places some of these women come from are apparently fine (like drinking shitty beer on a tractor, apparently). But people outside of the DCC bubble are going to look at someone, in Texas, praying about a cheerleading position at this moment and think they are at the very best horrificly uneducated about current event and at worst, ok with current events.

like you could just not post anything. I am not sure Jesus keeps a tally of instagram likes.

But given Dayotn’s crappy interview last season and lack of interest in something as basic as voting in a presidential election, again not surprised.

It is possible to have two thoughts at once.  I am going to assume you are not God, so you are not sure what they are actually asking for in their prayers. They could  be asking to be safe from injury. They can be asking the Lord for guidance through TC. They could quite literally be praying about anything.  However, because praying about DCC and caring about what is happening on the border are not mutually exclusive, they can also be doing both.  They can have two completely different thoughts/opinions that are not at all comparable in depth, and yet, can still be true. Social media has created a culture where people THINK they know so much about some based off of a 10 second IG story, or a 1x1 inch photo and caption. We are all free to judge these ladies how we want, however, don't get it confused. Very very few of us actually KNOW them. To think otherwise and assume they are uneducated is silly at best, and ignorant at worst.  Half of the current Presidential administration don't know current events based on what I see when Sarah Sanders speaks at the podium everyday, and yet people want cheerleaders to debate the merits of illegal immigration on their IG posts. Oh, ok.

• Love 10
11 hours ago, Tootie said:

18-19 dcc tcc - Copy.png

Thanks for posting! I somehow missed that Erin made it to training camp again. I hope she’s improved a lot. Unless I’m confusing her with someone else, while she was a lovely lyrical dancer, she didn’t even come close to having the DCC style. People can improve, so hopefully, she has, and that’s not just a wasted space.

I hope that the speculation about Jasmin is wrong. 

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, dccfan321 said:

It is possible to have two thoughts at once.  I am going to assume you are not God, so you are not sure what they are actually asking for in their prayers. They could  be asking to be safe from injury. They can be asking the Lord for guidance through TC. They could quite literally be praying about anything.  However, because praying about DCC and caring about what is happening on the border are not mutually exclusive, they can also be doing both.  They can have two completely different thoughts/opinions that are not at all comparable in depth, and yet, can still be true. Social media has created a culture where people THINK they know so much about some based off of a 10 second IG story, or a 1x1 inch photo and caption. We are all free to judge these ladies how we want, however, don't get it confused. Very very few of us actually KNOW them. To think otherwise and assume they are uneducated is silly at best, and ignorant at worst.  Half of the current Presidential administration don't know current events based on what I see when Sarah Sanders speaks at the podium everyday, and yet people want cheerleaders to debate the merits of illegal immigration on their IG posts. Oh, ok.

I am basing Dayton’s lack of education based on her televised interview.  A great way to avoid people thinking you are valid or stupid is to not be on a reality show. Or if you chose to be, to know simple facts.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Lolfordays said:

I am basing Dayton’s lack of education based on her televised interview.  A great way to avoid people thinking you are valid or stupid is to not be on a reality show. Or if you chose to be, to know simple facts.

I think we can all agree that Dayton's interview and response was less than stellar. However in your original post, you did not only reference Dayton.  You referenced DCC as a whole and painted with a very broad and and ignorant brush that implied you can't be a DCC, pray for guidance through your time as a DCC and care about current human right's violations all at the same time. I was merely pointing out that regardless of your religious beliefs, you actually can do that all, and not be uneducated, vapid, and/or stupid. Take it as you will.

• Love 6
(edited)

I didn't interpret it as referencing DCC as a whole at all.  @Lolfordays used the terms those outside the bubble looking at the actions of a hypothetical one within the bubble, of the DCC world.

The thing that resonated most with me is I am not sure Jesus keeps a tally of instagram likes.  Pray for peace.  Pray for those in need.  Praying on social media for the strength and resilience to withstand nightly cheerleading practices, weigh-ins and no pony tails! with the end goal of short shorts?  A bit tone deaf, imo.

Edited by RedDelicious
We talkin bout practice!
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, cgloss said:

Things like what?

Two of the pictures looked like she was out with friends on a Thursday afternoon in Dallas, a third looked to be from a wedding in New Orleans on the 15th, and the last looked like she was back in Allen Texas with Stephanie DiBiase-Wheat but can't tell the time of day.  If it during the day, not a big deal, but if it was late afternoon/early evening. . .

Anything posted in the afternoon, it's not as concerning because she could still make it to practice, but, unless they didn't have practice on Friday (or I'm miscounting the days as listed on Instagram and she left on Saturday for the wedding instead of Friday), she was in NOLA then and not at practice.

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, Jess14 said:

Thanks for posting! I somehow missed that Erin made it to training camp again. I hope she’s improved a lot. Unless I’m confusing her with someone else, while she was a lovely lyrical dancer, she didn’t even come close to having the DCC style. People can improve, so hopefully, she has, and that’s not just a wasted space.

I hope that the speculation about Jasmin is wrong. 

it looks like Erin did a completely different type of solo this year - not lyrical, but more powerful! i'm hoping it means she showed some improvement because i really like her.  she seems so mature and hard working. 

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, LaurenBrook said:

it looks like Erin did a completely different type of solo this year - not lyrical, but more powerful! i'm hoping it means she showed some improvement because i really like her.  she seems so mature and hard working. 

There is something about Erin I really don't care for.  How can you say she is hard working?  Because she takes a few dance classes?  All the girls take classes all year long even girls that have jobs.  I do not believe she has a job.

Edited by 5678Pixie
  • Love 4
20 minutes ago, RedDelicious said:

I didn't interpret it as referencing DCC as a whole at all.  @Lolfordays used the terms those outside the bubble looking at the actions of a hypothetical one within the bubble, of the DCC world.

The thing that resonated most with me is I am not sure Jesus keeps a tally of instagram likes.  Pray for peace.  Pray for those in need.  Praying on social media for the strength and resilience to withstand nightly cheerleading practices, weigh-ins and no pony tails! with the end goal of short shorts?  A bit tone deaf, imo.

Yup. 

• Love 3
(edited)
42 minutes ago, RedDelicious said:

To each their own. I personally don't believe that these girls can't win. They post a couple pretty non-offensive Bible verses, and they are vapid and don't care about human rights.  I just feel like that is a mighty big assumption. Hypothetical bubble or not. Anyways, hope everyone has a great day!

Edited by dccfan321
  • Love 12
3 minutes ago, dccfan321 said:

To each their own. I personally don't believe that these girls can win. They post a couple pretty non-offensive Bible verses, and they are vapid and don't care about human rights.  I just feel like that is a mighty big assumption. Hypothetical bubble or not. Anyways, hope everyone has a great day!

I personally don't believe that these girls can win --> I definitely agree with you there!

They post a couple pretty non-offensive Bible verses, and they are vapid and don't care about human rights. --> I don't think not caring about human rights is really accurate in reference to the OP, rather the issue is the lack of awareness (self-awareness?) regarding how one's praying for a cheerleading squad on social media might appear to the general public in light of the situation along the border of Texas. The merit of boots and stars is hardly comparable to humanitarian crises, but I guess I should check myself regardless. They can post what they want. But if I think it's tone deaf, I'm confident I'm not the only one who feels that way and questions the degree of awareness or lack thereof by those who choose to engage with their followers in that manner.

• Love 6
(edited)

Are they even allowed to post anything that may be even narrowly construed as critical of Trump or his administration (whether it should be considered political or not, and I certainly don’t think the current humanitarian crisis regarding children should be, but that’s not the Fox News position). Trump and Jerry Jones are friends after all. I’m not suggesting that there’s a written rule, but I wonder if political posts of any kind are highly discouraged. I’m genuinely curious. I may be wrong, but It seems the DCCs are an environment where religious posts/bible quotes = ok; political/policy posts = not ok. 

Edited by Jess14
  • Love 7
4 minutes ago, Jess14 said:

Are they even allowed to post anything that may be critical of Trump or his administration (whether it should be considered political or not, and I certainly don’t think the current humanitarian crisis regarding children should be, but that’s not the Fox News position). Trump and Jerry Jones are friends after all. I’m not suggesting that there’s a written rule, but I wonder if political posts of any kind are highly discouraged. I’m genuinely curious. I may be wrong, but It seems the DCCs are an environment where religious posts/bible quotes = ok; political/policy posts = not ok. 

Same. Honestly, politics is one of the "touchy" subjects people are often encouraged to avoid..like abortion. Texas is a Bible-belt red state, so I'm guessing it is assumed that they're all "America First!" and that they "stand by the President" whether they truly are critical of him or not. I'm sure they are discouraged.

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, LadyMsJay said:

Same. Honestly, politics is one of the "touchy" subjects people are often encouraged to avoid..like abortion. Texas is a Bible-belt red state, so I'm guessing it is assumed that they're all "America First!" and that they "stand by the President" whether they truly are critical of him or not. I'm sure they are discouraged.

The cities are blue!  I think last time I checked, Texas as a whole was 60% red and 40% blue, so there's a good mix.  That said, Tarrant County (AT&T Stadium) and Collin County (The Star) are both very conservative.

There's plenty of room in one's life to be strong in your faith and have progressive beliefs, though...I've got plenty of girlfriends that will post a pic of themselves in a pink pussy hat at a march followed up with family pics at Sunday school.  Generally speaking, belief in God is so common in the US and is likely viewed as benign, whereas political beliefs of any kind would be more polarizing.  If I was their social media manager (and clearly I'm not because OMG I would be so strict) I wouldn't mind prayers and blessings for self or friends and I would discourage any overt politicizing with or without it wrapped in faith.  I still think Caila's political posts hurt her position on the squad, especially since they came back to haunt her during the interviews.  She put herself out there and wasn't prepared to diplomatically defend her position. 

And if you're a public figure of ANY kind, it's best to just step away from anything that might reflect poorly on you or the organization you're closely aligned with and represent.

• Love 3