Type keyword(s) to search

Shetland - General Discussion

whatsatool
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Wow, this was a grim season. The ending didn't work for me. If Kieran was going to kill anyone, it should have been Bobby, not Ellen. She couldn't help her parentage.

They wanted it to be a crime of "passion" (I don't think that's the right word.)  She was berating him for not knowing and he just wanted to shut her up and ended up killing her.  I don't think people die by suffocation that easily but alas...

One thing I didn't get is how Bobby knew that he was her father?  And I have a hard time believing Emma wouldn't have confronted her mother right away with the weird ish her uncle was saying.

I didn't love the resolution either.  It's not that I hate incest plots but it just seemed too convenient.  It'd be one thing if these two had been super isolated from the rest of the world but it doesn't sound like that was the case.  He had gone away and she was already dating Kieran.  I did guess it has to be either Kieran or Stella since they were the least likely.  

Overall, I did like the season, though.  I'd love for Jimmy to guest star again but I was impressed with how they developed the dynamic between Ruth and Tosh.  They had disagreements and butted heads and yet they weren't enemies.  They respected one another's skills and even when Tosh was pulling Ruth off the case, there was a tinge of regret that she felt she had to do it.  If there's another season, I'd like to see these two continue to work together. 

Ashley said she only signed for one season so it remains to be seen.  

On 1/4/2024 at 2:33 PM, kimaken said:

Yes, and she didn't want to do that because she'd either have to leave her family in Shetland while she worked elsewhere for a year or two; or her family would have to move with her, and I don't think her hubby/significant other (are they married?) wants to put his career aside or seek work elsewhere.

From what I recall, he works in IT and helped with a case.  This is how Tosh met him.  And based on how he has taken on caregiving duties, I suspect he works from home and has a lot of flexibility.  The next season could be Tosh returning from working elsewhere for a few years. I think what's holding her back is that there's no guarantee the job would be there for her if she wants to return.  

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

So are we to believe that Cal really did just have a DUI accident and Bobby really hadn't done anything to his van? I wasn't sure on that but would like to take it at face value.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, mledawn said:

So are we to believe that Cal really did just have a DUI accident and Bobby really hadn't done anything to his van?

Tosh said she had the accident team check the results twice to be absolutely sure, so I think we're to take that at face value.

Can Bobby be charged with anything? Do they have good enough evidence for a drug arrest? Another loose end. 

• Like 4
28 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Can Bobby be charged with anything? Do they have good enough evidence for a drug arrest? Another loose end. 

I think if the kid starts throwing money around town, it'll make Tosh want to know where he got it. And since Bobby knows it was stolen money to begin with, that's not great for Bobby. So they could charge him with that, but I think they wouldn't.

42 minutes ago, Milburn Stone said:

I think if the kid starts throwing money around town

Yet another loose end, as I doubt the kid using cash for everything won't have someone wondering what's up.

Although there was problematic elements to the plot/story this season, I am definitely going to miss the breathtakingly beautiful opening photography that graces the beginning of each episode. What a glorious place! Hoping for a next season with both Tosh and Ruth.

• Like 8
14 hours ago, isalicat said:

Although there was problematic elements to the plot/story this season, I am definitely going to miss the breathtakingly beautiful opening photography that graces the beginning of each episode. What a glorious place! Hoping for a next season with both Tosh and Ruth.

Agree. It's one of the openings I never skip (along with CB Strike and Slow Horses).

• Like 3