Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E15: Bettie Jo & Susan LIVE CHAT

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, Lizz said:

I’m late tonight, but somebody please tell me where these people live.  I can’t wait to re-watch and read all the comments.

Betty Jo is in Missouri, I think.

• Love 2
Just now, CircusPeanuts said:

Dr. paradise!!! Yes!

“I don’t eat breakfast and lunch because I have an infant.” Wait— didn’t she just say she can’t even pick him up??

She can only pick up one meal a day. 

• Love 21
4 minutes ago, fonfereksglen said:

Interesting.  The phrase I am familiar with is institutional memory.  The big problem back in the day was these people refused to share the expertise and refused to train anyone, ever. 

A good leader wouldn't let that happen. You either train somebody or you get a new job. I hate to sound like 'the man,' but the organization is more important than the individual when it comes to maintaining organizational memory (we use that term, but it's not the same as KM. One part of KM is managing the info that's in the memory) so that the org survives.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, ams1001 said:

I'm late tonight, but somebody please tell me where these people live.  I can’t wait to re-watch and read all the comments.

Susan from Eddy, TX

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, aliya said:

My research is in social aspects of knowledge management, with a number of articles on what happens in organizations when experienced workers leave and take their knowledge with them. Very few orgs think ahead and plan for this - even orgs with a number of baby boomers like myself who are on the way out of the door. It's stupid and short-sighted not to have plans in place to address this, because they don't want to spend the money on things like SOPs, shadowing senior workers, etc., 

Ack, I typed a whole response to this and I lost it. I'm slightly exaggerating when I say he's the one who knows everything, but he definitely has the broadest knowledge base of our group. I'm just expecting some chaos and I'm one of those people who probably knows more than I think I do, but I get anxious. I'm worried now that people will start asking me for things and I won't know what to tell them.

Hey, it's not cancer!

Big baby smile!

2 minutes ago, aliya said:

A good leader wouldn't let that happen. You either train somebody or you get a new job. I hate to sound like 'the man,' but the organization is more important than the individual when it comes to maintaining organizational memory (we use that term, but it's not the same as KM. One part of KM is managing the info that's in the memory) so that the org survives.

I would love to continue this discussion.

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, aliya said:

It's more a lack of time and organization than a lack of willingness to train. My boss is actually big on cross training. We do have a lot of 'how-to' documentation for our regular stuff, but he's not always been the best at writing those up. I told him today that when he gets back from vacation he's got two weeks to make sure whatever I really need is written up!

Gnite, y'all!

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

Not only is she scared, but this baby could kill her! In case anyone missed that. 

Josh and me...Mom and me....gah!

She killed me in her 1st episode during the Hamburger Helper dinner scene- "Really Josh-wa?"

• Love 4