Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Street Meat

While Lena gets ready to go out on a first date with a handsome man whose sexual chemistry is undeniable, Martin finishes his dance lessons with Charlotte and attempts to try to fix things with Lena on what would have been their 16th wedding anniversary. Meanwhile, Mason is being teased by his friends for not being as sexually active as they claim to be; and to prove that she would be a good mom, Maya attempts to watch over Lena and Martin's kids, with questionable results.

1 hour ago, Armchair Critic said:

Aw that was sad when Martin was waiting out in the rain for her

Still not clear on why there was no physical contact for 2 years without explanation if he cares for her so much.  If it's because she's too controlling (which I could see), then why would he want her back?

• Love 8
13 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Still not clear on why there was no physical contact for 2 years without explanation if he cares for her so much.  If it's because she's too controlling (which I could see), then why would he want her back?

That's exactly it. 2 years is way, way too long. If it had been over a year, then I could see it. However, at this point, outside not able to live on their own (yet can go to dance lessons, field trips, ect.). The premise is having problems staying to the rest of the episodes. Also, that's how you "scrub" a house? I didn't see her pushing in her finger tips or anything her proper cleaning was like how fast you clean a table at steak and shake. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

Aw that was sad when Martin was waiting out in the rain for her

I didn't find it sad because there is absolutely no context for their relationship problems and I don't find surprise grand gestures a good way to overcome issues that were deep enough for two people to give up on 16 years of marriage with three children productive. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 15
2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I didn't find it sad because there is absolutely no context for their relationship problems and I don't find surprise grand gestures a good way to overcome issues that were deep enough for two people to give up on 16 years of marriage with three children productive. 

Yes. I think it was a natural reaction to having some space from his wife's nagging but it doesn't seem like they should be together at this point.  

Street meat guy is HOT.   But I have a feeling he is going to smash her little heart to bits.

The  actor who plays the son is really good. Really natural.  

• Love 7

This is typically not my kind of show at all, but I gave it a look because of Jenna.  I definitely was not prepared to like the kid actors, but all three of them are really good.  Kudos to the casting department!

• Love 4
11 hours ago, BooBear said:

Yes. I think it was a natural reaction to having some space from his wife's nagging but it doesn't seem like they should be together at this point.  

Street meat guy is HOT.   But I have a feeling he is going to smash her little heart to bits.

The  actor who plays the son is really good. Really natural.  

My problem is, their "problems" stem from Martin just not wanting to do anything and just like "not trying" for things. He was comfortable, and I mean as he enjoyed Lena doing everything, he stayed the fun dad and just worked and paid the bills. Even went out with his friends. What the hell possessed him for 2 years to not only not have sex with his wife but apparently avoid seeing her undressing or naked for 2 years doesn't make sense. Same goes with Lena, she is controlling, but really she couldn't go: "Why the hell aren't we having sex?" "Why do you try to not see me getting dressed or naked in any shape or form." We know from these few episodes they had their single years and then got together, married, had kids, ect. Apparently though Martin got it in his head: "Lena likes to do things her way or the high way, so I won't do anything." I mean he acts like outside getting dress, he doesn't know how to clean, he is oblivious to obvious things and if he was left in an apartment by himself, he might be eaten by bugs because he only knows how to make sandwiches or a can of soup. Meanwhile, Lena is: "We aren't having sex, he expects me to do everything, he even avoids seeing me naked, ect." tells her friends and everyone, but won't confront Martin at all until it's 2 years later? Doesn't work. 

• Love 8
16 hours ago, readster said:

My problem is, their "problems" stem from Martin just not wanting to do anything and just like "not trying" for things. He was comfortable, and I mean as he enjoyed Lena doing everything, he stayed the fun dad and just worked and paid the bills. Even went out with his friends. What the hell possessed him for 2 years to not only not have sex with his wife but apparently avoid seeing her undressing or naked for 2 years doesn't make sense. Same goes with Lena, she is controlling, but really she couldn't go: "Why the hell aren't we having sex?" "Why do you try to not see me getting dressed or naked in any shape or form." We know from these few episodes they had their single years and then got together, married, had kids, ect. Apparently though Martin got it in his head: "Lena likes to do things her way or the high way, so I won't do anything." I mean he acts like outside getting dress, he doesn't know how to clean, he is oblivious to obvious things and if he was left in an apartment by himself, he might be eaten by bugs because he only knows how to make sandwiches or a can of soup. Meanwhile, Lena is: "We aren't having sex, he expects me to do everything, he even avoids seeing me naked, ect." tells her friends and everyone, but won't confront Martin at all until it's 2 years later? Doesn't work. 

Yep. Exactly to all of this. And instead of sitting down and having a conversation about what went wrong and where they can try to fix things, he's going to go for a big gesture like dance lessons that he's doing in secret so it looks like he's moved on and has a girlfriend. Hey, buddy, it's not the dance at the wedding that caused problems - IT'S YOUR INABILITY TO TALK TO EACH OTHER!

• Love 8
17 hours ago, readster said:

What the hell possessed him for 2 years to not only not have sex with his wife but apparently avoid seeing her undressing or naked for 2 years doesn't make sense. Same goes with Lena, she is controlling, but really she couldn't go: "Why the hell aren't we having sex?"

I suspect the 2 years thing was a creeping issue.  Like neither actually realized how long it had been until Lena sat down and thought about it and by then it was already too late. 

I think I'm done with this show.  Ultimately it's premise is too sad for me. I don't want to them pine for each other or get jealous about how they're treating the new boyfriend/girlfriend.  I think if the show started at the place where they already went through all that and this is how they make it work I would be okay, but divorce is mostly sad (or at least for these two it clearly will be).  

• Love 4

I wasn't crazy about Lena and hot guy having sex in the front seat of the car in the driveway.  I thought they took it more than a little too far.  Same impact could have been had with them just making out.  But, anyone could be walking by, kids could be looking out the window (hearing a car come up the drive), etc., and while I know the whole point is Lena is supposed to be doing things outside her comfort zone, this just seems about a million steps too far.  Is that really the way she would have sex after 2 years of nothing?

On the other hand, what was Martin expecting to do?  Be at the front door in a suit with flowers, put on music and dance with her, and then everything would be all right?  Almost better for him to be shot down the way it happened then face the "hell no" that would have been the response if his plan played out.

I guess my problem is, I generally like the overall make up of the show - I like the actors, I like the kids, I like the dynamics between the characters.  But I don't like the basic premise of a separated couple living together but apart.  I don't think that has legs to fill even one season, let alone get renewed for a second.

• Love 13

She has sex with a guy in the driveway of her home. What is she 17 years old?  Even a 17 year would go someplace else.  Martin stands outside waiting for her to come home from a date to try and start a reconciliation seemed silly, even if it were their anniversary.  So now we know where he stands but this will just be one episode after another of them not communicating, misunderstandings and not working out their problems which we don't really even know what they were as mentioned above.  

• Love 7
15 minutes ago, LucyEth said:

She has sex with a guy in the driveway of her home. What is she 17 years old?  Even a 17 year would go someplace else.  Martin stands outside waiting for her to come home from a date to try and start a reconciliation seemed silly, even if it were their anniversary.  So now we know where he stands but this will just be one episode after another of them not communicating, misunderstandings and not working out their problems which we don't really even know what they were as mentioned above.  

Sad to say, school I use to work for caught two 17 year olds getting it on in the car around before everyone was at the school because the VP came in early and was wondering why he saw a student tagged car off next to the baseball field by his parking spot. Even worst, one of them was NHS. But I agree, Lena is not 17 and just because it's been 2 years, doesn't mean get it going on. The problem is, this just paints that neither one of them talk to each other. There is why their marriage went to hell, they didn't talk to each other from Lean telling Martin: "Why the hell are you avoiding seeing me naked all the time." To Martin just saying: "Do you need help with stuff?" Instead they act like Martin is some brainless and inept 20 year old and Lena is: "It's my way or the high way and if I don't like it, well... you know what you did wrong." It doesn't come across as funny, it comes across as not only sad, but proving these two need to go their separate ways because they don't know how to communicate. It's a great cast from the kids to the adults, but the plot and stories are too juvenile and full of holes. 

• Love 3
On 4/11/2018 at 4:11 AM, biakbiak said:

Right.  Plus, as @EdnasEdibles points out below:

On 4/12/2018 at 10:16 AM, EdnasEdibles said:

Yep. Exactly to all of this. And instead of sitting down and having a conversation about what went wrong and where they can try to fix things, he's going to go for a big gesture like dance lessons that he's doing in secret so it looks like he's moved on and has a girlfriend. Hey, buddy, it's not the dance at the wedding that caused problems - IT'S YOUR INABILITY TO TALK TO EACH OTHER!

He's really not very bright if it didn't even cross his mind that Lena might see the hot dance teacher coming into the house/garage multiple times and think he was dating her (of course, apparently, it also didn't cross his mind that it was inappropriate to open the door in his underwear, either, or that the dance teacher might be attracted to him, so...)

On 4/13/2018 at 9:39 AM, LucyEth said:

She not only has sex in the car in the driveway, she reaches behind her to put her hand on the window like she was Rose in Titanic.  I couldn't help thinking how awkward and uncomfortable that must have been, so the only reason for it in-show was to make sure Martin knew she was getting busy in that car.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Nessie said:

Right.  Plus, as @EdnasEdibles points out below:

He's really not very bright if it didn't even cross his mind that Lena might see the hot dance teacher coming into the house/garage multiple times and think he was dating her (of course, apparently, it also didn't cross his mind that it was inappropriate to open the door in his underwear, either, or that the dance teacher might be attracted to him, so...)

She not only has sex in the car in the driveway, she reaches behind her to put her hand on the window like she was Rose in Titanic.  I couldn't help thinking how awkward and uncomfortable that must have been, so the only reason for it in-show was to make sure Martin knew she was getting busy in that car.

But that's the point, Martin isn't bright at all. The kids run out of clean clothes, and HE DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO DO LAUNDRY! He's a man!!!!! Then he realizes that 16 years ago, he and Lena didn't dance at ALL at their OWN Wedding!. So, doing these secret dance lessons will win her back.  I really want to know how the hell he didn't see his own wife naked for almost 2 years and didn't realize it or the fact that it took that long for Lena to realize she hasn't had neither sex or had Martin see her naked at all. Yet, he can tell his daughter has hit puberty and has boobs now, but see his wife naked or even getting dress? Nah... he was busy being oblivious and heading out to the game with his friends. 

• Love 5

I laughed a few times. So there's that.

When this show was first announced, I thought that the premise was flimsy and unsustainable. I haven't seen anything in the first three episodes to convince me otherwise.

So what's the over/under on episodes before Lena dumps Street Meat guy, only to discover that Martin has moved on with the dance instructor chick? Lather, rinse, repeat, until end of series.

• Love 4

I watched this because Jenna is adorable but this show is not good.  The children are more mature than their parents.  I know that Jenna's character wanted to have a fling, but having sex in the driveway of your house where your kids can walk in on you is NOT a good idea. 

7 hours ago, msrachelj said:

i'm out. this show is bad. hope the 2 leads find better projects.

Agreed.  I hope they find better projects, this one is a mess.

• Love 5
On 4/12/2018 at 12:49 PM, chaifan said:

I wasn't crazy about Lena and hot guy having sex in the front seat of the car in the driveway.  I thought they took it more than a little too far.  Same impact could have been had with them just making out.  But, anyone could be walking by, kids could be looking out the window (hearing a car come up the drive), etc., and while I know the whole point is Lena is supposed to be doing things outside her comfort zone, this just seems about a million steps too far.  

This!! I was watching this in utter disbelief...for one, that it would be considered appropriate for a sitcom, but for another, for all the reasons you mentioned. Or, in today's world, a neighbor walking by and getting you on the sex offender list. SO many reasons why this was a horrible idea! I found it hard to fathom the normally rational Lena would ever consent to this.

• Love 5

Yeah I don't know how far they went in the car, but I would be more worried about her kids seeing her than her husband.  How traumatizing would that be for everyone, your mom having sex in a car in the driveway and getting caught!? 

Street Meat guy is kind of a hipster douche anyway

• Love 5

I may be too prudish for this show. Not only Lena having sex in a car parked in her driveway where her kids could have easily seen, but 14-year-olds being teased because they are not sexually active? The same 14-year-old whose piano lesson song last week was about abortion? Not to mention the classmates with syphilis and tattoos. I'm seriously questioning the judgment of the writers & show runners who evidently think this is OK.  Maybe they should have made the family a few years older. 

On the plus side, I love that Mason's friend was named Hazel, however unrealistic for a 14-year-old. It's definitely gaining popularity today - my 13-month-old niece & my 15-month-old neighbor are both named Hazel - but in 2004 it was firmly in the 'old lady name' category. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I may be too prudish for this show. Not only Lena having sex in a car parked in her driveway where her kids could have easily seen, but 14-year-olds being teased because they are not sexually active? The same 14-year-old whose piano lesson song last week was about abortion? Not to mention the classmates with syphilis and tattoos. I'm seriously questioning the judgment of the writers & show runners who evidently think this is OK.  Maybe they should have made the family a few years older. 

On the plus side, I love that Mason's friend was named Hazel, however unrealistic for a 14-year-old. It's definitely gaining popularity today - my 13-month-old niece & my 15-month-old neighbor are both named Hazel - but in 2004 it was firmly in the 'old lady name' category. 

Yes, the son should have been aged up to late freshman or sophomore age in high school. The talk would have made more sense for teens who are driving or heading into upper class man status. The show runners are way out of touch of what high school or middle school is like today. Most kids can go to Snapchat and get information or make things up, they wouldn't be making "small talk" like this. Plus, most middle schoolers these days might be wearing revealing outfits, but they hear sex and they go: "no, I'll get someone or myself pregnant." Get to high school, it's another story. 

• Love 1
On 4/23/2018 at 3:26 AM, Toothbrush said:

Hazel was #681 on the social security administration's baby name list in 2004 (In between Sydnee and Mariam - for boys, #681 was Muhammad, #680 was Glenn and #682 was Draven).

After The Fault in Our Stars was published in January 2012, Hazel went from #211 in 2011, to #172. #157 in 2013, #105 in 2014 (Fault in Our Stars movie), #63 in 2015, and #52 in 2016.

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/

8 hours ago, bros402 said:

Hazel was #681 on the social security administration's baby name list in 2004 (In between Sydnee and Mariam - for boys, #681 was Muhammad, #680 was Glenn and #682 was Draven).

After The Fault in Our Stars was published in January 2012, Hazel went from #211 in 2011, to #172. #157 in 2013, #105 in 2014 (Fault in Our Stars movie), #63 in 2015, and #52 in 2016.

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/

My neighbors' 15-month-old Hazel is named for the character in The Fault In Our Stars, and my 13-month-old niece Hazel is named for her great-great aunt. If not for the book/movie, my niece would definitely have a unique name for her age. And I also think that if not for the movie/book, the character of Mason's friend would not have been named Hazel; too bad the TV show character was born 8 years earlier. I also remember a couple of 30-something characters named Bella after Twilight. Not 100% impossible, but highly improbable. I deal with statistics all day long, so these kinds of things stick out to me when most people probably don't even notice. 

• Love 2

The name did exist so I t doesn’t bother me.

I also don’t mind the two years or the premise.   I’ve gone much longer in that situation.  I imagine they’re going for a long Sam & Diane thing, though, which I’m not a fan of.  People really aren’t lobsters and I’m tired of tv and movies portraying that.  Serial monogamy is the norm, not lifelong soulmates.  

I also balk at all the hot single people pining after these newly separated two so soon.  And the wisdom of dirty dancing lessons in underwear alone in a man’s apartment, from Charlotte’s perspective.    Plus cost.  Go to a Fred Astaire studio. 

My sister has a detached garage converted to living quarters that looks just like their’s from the outside.  On the inside it’s about 1/4 that size.  

On 4/19/2018 at 1:30 PM, SnarkySheep said:

This!! I was watching this in utter disbelief...for one, that it would be considered appropriate for a sitcom, but for another, for all the reasons you mentioned. Or, in today's world, a neighbor walking by and getting you on the sex offender list. SO many reasons why this was a horrible idea! I found it hard to fathom the normally rational Lena would ever consent to this.

Now, that the season is over and after the finale, I know why I dislike Lena as much as Martin. She kept expecting Martin to change, when she knew he never was going to and instead of bringing it up. She just let it go on and on until she couldn't take it anymore. I think back to the pilot when she went over what she was doing and after mentioning that she was then going to make dinner. Martin replies: "What is for dinner?" She looks at him with the dirtiest of looks then we find out in the following two episodes. He doesn't know how to clean, do laundry and has made sandwiches most of his life. You are really expecting the audience to believe in that 18 years. Lena, with her micro managing (and often times dumb managing) didn't go: "Martin, I know you feel you want the woman to do all the work, but I can teach you and it will take like barely a day." Instead it was constantly: "Martin doesn't want to see me naked or do anything, because he has to be the fun dad." Then you add in the fact that their two oldest kids are teens and you have them acting like 17 year olds in high school and it takes the "precious" daughter to go to a professional and say: "My parents are traumatizing us with their dumb ideas." Then to have Lena go have sex in a car because a guy wanted to sleep with her. Then find out in the finale that Lena and Martin didn't officially move out of the house was not because it was under water. Or the fact Lena just has a small micro business that just covers the bills and nothing else. They did it because they  didn't want to leave each other. It just rings as crap. 

• Love 1

Yeah, I made it through three episodes because I saw the two leads on THE $100,000 PYRAMID. I had no idea this was a show. 

I'm out. More, "Man dumb, but mean well. Wife naggy," sitcom mess. And I don't care for the kid's characters. The actors are fine, but the characters are meh.

I love some Jenna Fischer, but there should be a better project for her. 

6 hours ago, WAnglais1 said:

Yeah, I made it through three episodes because I saw the two leads on THE $100,000 PYRAMID. I had no idea this was a show. 

I'm out. More, "Man dumb, but mean well. Wife naggy," sitcom mess. And I don't care for the kid's characters. The actors are fine, but the characters are meh.

I love some Jenna Fischer, but there should be a better project for her. 

That's the problem, I've seen the previews for the new season and they are apparently keeping Lisa's pregnancy going and having Martin still be: "Umm... me pick nose now, oh wait shoe unties, me go drives for 2 hours now." Followed by Lena: "You never do it the right, way, I'm going to complain and then show how awesome of a parent I am and then everyone else look at me and wonder why I haven't been committed!" Because that's all it is, this is where ABC really need to go: "Yeah, this isn't worth it because we we have to keep as many old shows on TV."