Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E16: Breadcrumbs

• Start Topic

Well, first off in the shallow end of the pool...  WHook / Rodgers was looking very very nice this episode. When he was talking about how pirates collected rings.... ok.

I enjoyed Tilly and Margot.  They have chemistry. I actually believe they could have a relationship. I also really like the Rodgers/Tilly relationship, they also have chemistry. 

Where to begin with Henry.... first off, he is an idiot.  He has ZERO chemistry with Jacinda. Actually Jacinda has no chemistry with anyone. As someone said earlier, No Henry.. the most brave and strong woman you know is your MOTHER and/or Grandmother! Jacinda/Ella doesn’t even compare with their bravery.

I don’t know why they had that actress play Cinderella. Maybe I would connect with a different actress but I really don’t care what happens to either Jacinda or Henry.  Or Lucy.

• Love 9
(edited)

* How would a dragon plunder loot and wine? That was a very narrow cave. How small was that dragon? Why would it migrate from its hoard? I thought they were quite protective of it.
* I love WHook's apprehension over Henry trying to prove himself. He represents us.
* Does anyone remember The Black Cauldron? How the protagonist was whiny and wanted to be a hero? Who knew OUAT would adapt that through Henry. Seriously - shut the frick up, Henry. There are children starving in China and you're worried that you're not the main character in a book that doesn't exist.
* Jacinda continues to let her child stay at a bar for who knows how long. I see she's still on top of things.
* Could Jacinda be more indifferent about Henry's career opportunity? This is supposed to be angsty for their relationship, and she's just like "oh okay."
* Henry having to move to New York for his new podcast gig seems a little odd. I'm sure there's reasons why he wouldn't be able to stay in Seattle, but it's a strange choice to make him move for a mostly online job. I don't get why you would give his character something as transient as podcast-producing, then do this. What happened to the book he was supposedly writing?
* So Tiana is now perfectly okay with having less-experienced helpers? I guess her "I work alone" trait disappeared.
* How can Geppetto's parents be in Weaver's storage? Did the curse bring objects from Storybrooke or Wish Dark Castle too?
* "Prince Henry of Storybrooke"... the criiinge.
* Oh, Blackbeard. I've missed you. You're a lot of fun.
* Where the heck was Roni? She wouldn't let Henry leave in a million years.
* Henry is so stupid for telling Nick all about the Hansel serial killer. You don't go around sharing police investigation info like that. He barely knows the guy.
* Lucy is suddenly okay with Henry dying in order to break the curse? Say what now?
* Henry got a major career opportunity and decided to pursue it within the span of a day. Who does that? Did he just give up on Jacinda et al? Last week they were making googly eyes at an arcade.
* Kelly's last name is West. Lol.
* They tried to make putting Davy Jones' ring back into the whirlpool so epic and cinematic, but pleeease. It's just Henry sitting on a ship bow, wishing it was what it looked like. (Very indicative of his "manly" pride in this episode.)
* Bonus points for the Alice/Robyn stuff, which was easily the best part of the episode.

It's not the actor per se, but he's portraying all the negative attributes of Henry in adult form. This episode made me really dislike Adult!Henry, just as much as I despise the younger version. He's incredibly stupid and self-absorbed.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 5
(edited)
9 minutes ago, KingOfHearts said:

* How can Geppetto's parents be in Weaver's storage? Did the curse bring objects from Storybrooke or Wish Dark Castle too?

I totally forgot about that.  Don't tell me Rumple carries that thing around with him.  

* Where the heck was Roni? She wouldn't let Henry leave in a million years.

Collecting moss to save him or something.  I'm surprised that didn't require an epic quest.  Where exactly do you find magic moss in Seattle?

* Henry got a major career opportunity and decided to pursue it within the span of a day. Who does that? Did he just give up on Jacinda et al?

No, he was waiting for Jacinda to stop him from going.  Because everyone loves a possessive girlfriend who stops you from chasing your dreams.

* They tried to make putting Davy Jones' ring back into the whirlpool so epic and cinematic, but pleeease. It's just Henry sitting on a ship bow, wishing it was what it looked like. (Very indicative of his "manly" pride in this episode.)

That was certainly very awkward.

Edited by Camera One
1 minute ago, Camera One said:

No, he was waiting for Jacinda to stop him from going.  Because everyone loves a possessive girlfriend who stops you from chasing your dreams.

Obviously, they were attempting to emulate the Kathryn going to law school/David moving to Boston dilemma. In S1, Mary Margaret had every reason to tell David not to let the door hit him on the way out. But here, Jacinda had no reason to be so nonchalant about it. She could have shown a sign that she wanted him to stay, even if she didn't throw herself into his arms and confess her passionate love for him. What was the point of last week when she threw the coin in the glass? Wasn't that meant to be a turning point for her?

If this show had continued, Alice & Robin would have really become my favorite new ship. Those girls are just great together.

I don't understand anything about Wish Hook. Are all these pirates he interacts with like Smitty & Blackbeard the wish world versions like him or are they from the new reality that Henry went to?

I thought Nick was Jack from Jack & The Beanstalk? So confusing.

7 hours ago, KingOfHearts said:

How can Geppetto's parents be in Weaver's storage?

7 hours ago, Camera One said:

Don't tell me Rumple carries that thing around with him.

Yeah, what the heck was that?? Maybe redeemed Rumple is on a quest to right his wrongs. (Yeah, right...)

7 hours ago, KingOfHearts said:

OMG. I totally missed that. It makes Henry look even more stupid!

3 hours ago, Proteus said:

Are all these pirates he interacts with like Smitty & Blackbeard the wish world versions like him or are they from the new reality that Henry went to?

I think they must be Wish Verse copies, as the Disenchanted Forest doesn't have copies of the original characters. 

3 hours ago, Proteus said:

I was confused in the beginning too. Wasn't there a reference to giants in the episode he was introduced? But he's apparently Hansel now.

9 hours ago, Camera One said:

It's going to be awkward when Jacinda races to the airport to stop him and then has to make the desperation move of buying a last-minute plane ticket to anywhere so she can get through security and run to his gate so she can pour out her real feelings and beg him to stay (the way this kind of scenario usually ends up playing out in movies), but he's not there because Hansel has him tied up.

6 hours ago, Proteus said:

From what Gretel said in the previous episode, it sounds like in the aftermath of the gingerbread incident, Hansel changed his name and identity. He must have started going by Jack and had adventures involving giants and listening to Henry drone on about Star Wars. So he's both Hansel and Jack because this show loves its mash-ups.

10 hours ago, KingOfHearts said:

Does anyone remember The Black Cauldron? How the protagonist was whiny and wanted to be a hero? Who knew OUAT would adapt that through Henry. Seriously - shut the frick up, Henry. There are children starving in China and you're worried that you're not the main character in a book that doesn't exist.

Yesterday, someone posted this quote on Facebook that reminded me of Henry's whining:

“Good men don't become legends," he said quietly.
"Good men don't need to become legends." She opened her eyes, looking up at him. "They just do what's right anyway.”
― Brandon Sanderson, The Well of Ascension

I'd be a lot more sympathetic to Henry if he wanted to make a difference in the world. But when you say you want to be a "hero," that to me means you want glory. Maybe I've seen too many old war movies, in which the eager young recruit wants to be a hero and the grizzled old sergeant says something like "I don't want any heroes in my squad. Heroes just get themselves and everyone else killed. Just focus on the mission and doing what needs to be done."

And I still find it hilarious that they've supposedly been in the middle of a resistance movement against an evil king, and yet Henry's still not managed to do anything that matters, so they have to make up something for him to do.

• Love 5

Actual heroes don’t feel comfortable referring to themselves as heroes in real life and correct others by saying they just did what needed to be done. 

• Love 4
43 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

From what Gretel said in the previous episode, it sounds like in the aftermath of the gingerbread incident, Hansel changed his name and identity. He must have started going by Jack and had adventures involving giants and listening to Henry drone on about Star Wars. So he's both Hansel and Jack because this show loves its mash-ups.

I am wondering if when he first appeared he really was simply Jack of Jack and the  Beanstalk.  I suspect this serial killer story line was not developed when he was introduced and the idea to make him Hansel came later.  It seems like most of 7B were ideas that came up after they had already aired the first episodes.  A lot of what we saw at the beginning of the season ended up being inconsequential.  

4 minutes ago, CCTC said:

I am wondering if when he first appeared he really was simply Jack of Jack and the  Beanstalk.  I suspect this serial killer story line was not developed when he was introduced and the idea to make him Hansel came later.  It seems like most of 7B were ideas that came up after they had already aired the first episodes.  A lot of what we saw at the beginning of the season ended up being inconsequential.  

A lot of what they did in the first half didn’t work for the audience either. I think they concentrated on the fairy tale part when they hadn’t made us care about the characters first.  The second half has  been much much better.  Except for Jacinda who they are stuck with and who no one likes in either HH or fairytale mode. 

I think Nick is both Jack and Hansel because TPTB liked the actor and wanted to use him more but needed a Hansel to pin the nurses on and needed to quash any chance of Nick getting ‘back’ together with Jacinda. 

13 hours ago, CinAZ said:

Well, first off in the shallow end of the pool...  WHook / Rodgers was looking very very nice this episode. When he was talking about how pirates collected rings.... ok.

I enjoyed Tilly and Margot.  They have chemistry. I actually believe they could have a relationship. I also really like the Rodgers/Tilly relationship, they also have chemistry. 

Where to begin with Henry.... first off, he is an idiot.  He has ZERO chemistry with Jacinda. Actually Jacinda has no chemistry with anyone. As someone said earlier, No Henry.. the most brave and strong woman you know is your MOTHER and/or Grandmother! Jacinda/Ella doesn’t even compare with their bravery.

I don’t know why they had that actress play Cinderella. Maybe I would connect with a different actress but I really don’t care what happens to either Jacinda or Henry.  Or Lucy.

I agree with all of this. I loved all of the interactions between these characters. The actress who plays Jacinda was the weak link. I like Henry, so I’m interested in his story, but the casting for Cinderella is horrible. 

Speaking of Henry, I liked his interactions with Weaver. You could tell that Weaver wanted to tell him everything. The lack of Weaver and Henry scenes is one of the ways this season went wrong. Adult Henry and his paternal grandfather would have been an interesting dynamic since he seems more bonded with the Charmings and Hook. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't know why he doesn't just kill Henry.  Is it because he has genuine feelings for him?

Henry isn't a witch. Hansel has his own moral code. He's a hero in his own story because he is ridding the world of witches. He can't kill an innocent person or he isn't the hero anymore. He may eventually justify it for the greater good.

I thought Weaver might be trying to have Henry wake up by making him focus on the book. 

They should have made one of the mutant beignets look like Mickeys. The Mickey beignets at Disneyland are divine. 

Edit: Corrected Roger to Weaver - thanks Rumsy4

Edited by kili
  • Love 2
49 minutes ago, kili said:

I thought Rogers might be trying to have Henry wake up by making him focus on the book. 

You mean Weaver right? I thought so too. This episode was the first time I found Weaver interesting this season. Wish!Imp Rumple was also awesome in the Knight Fall episode. 

• Love 1

Weaver seemed like he didn't want Henry to go to New York either.  But the characterization is just all over the place, so who the hell knows what his actual motivations were.  If you think about it, why does Weaver even care about the Candy killer?  Is it because he's trying to earn brownie points to get to Belle, as he said in the Drizella episode where he couldn't care less that he was losing Anastasia The Apparent Guardian, forever?  It's too little too late to make us think he's a good grandfather with that whole "Henry was my favorite character" BS.  

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Camera One said:

It's too little too late to make us think he's a good grandfather with that whole "Henry was my favorite character" BS.  

Was that some meta message from A&E reminding us we're supposed to have liked Henry this whole time? Because, let's face it, they live to tell, not show. 

• Love 6

So if Henry goes missing, won't they be able to track it back to Nick because of the camera in the troll statue?

5 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Adult Henry doesn’t seem like he’s changed much from kid Henry standing in the middle of New York screaming at strangers to believe in magic and throw coins into a fountain. 

That Henry had more hope than this one, at least. This one is just constantly pessimistic.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, KingOfHearts said:

So if Henry goes missing, won't they be able to track it back to Nick because of the camera in the troll statue?

I'm going to laugh so hard if they completely forgot that plot point.

• Love 4

I wasn't going to watch online to see the beginning I missed because I didn't want to see Henry whining, but I'm glad I did because WHook's facial expressions in response to Henry's whining as they went into the dragon's den were absolutely priceless.

• Love 2

I assumed the troll camera only caught images of Tilly because, well, she basically conjured up the troll with her magic sadness. Knowing this police department they probably took the camera out once they got the tape that conveniently saved Tilly from jail. 

(edited)

I suppose maybe they are hunting the dragon because it was terrorizing villages.  But then again, didn't he learn anything from his mom's BFF Lily and Maleficent and The Dragon?  Dragons have feelings too.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 2

The car will probably be towed without anyone even wondering about Henry.   They arent going to call Weaver and Rogers about an abandoned car, and who else would know any of Henry’s friends - who all think he is in New York anyway. 

(edited)

Next episode will be about someone tampering with the batter that Sabine uses to make beignets.  In the flashback, a giant Gingerbread Man inspires Tiana's interest in cooking but her obligations as Queen prevents her from pursuing her new dream.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1

Re Bangor, Maine Police Department: I love their tag-line -- "Keep your hands to yourself, leave other people's things alone, and be kind to one another."

On 4/6/2018 at 6:29 PM, hockeycat400 said:

And shouldn't his session with Weaver be considered confidential?    "Oh, I will just tell anyone who's interested, all about my interview with the police!  Sure why not?!"

On 4/6/2018 at 6:37 PM, Rumsy4 said:

Henry definitely ought not to have told Nick about the investigation. He's not very bright, it he?

Henry's version  of nonchalant is about as good as everything else he does.

3 hours ago, Camera One said:

It's too little too late to make us think he's a good grandfather with that whole "Henry was my favorite character" BS.  

"You were my favorite!  I only tried to kill you, and your family a half-dozen times!"

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Camera One said:

How did Weaver get a hold of Nick's annotated storybook again?  

I'm thinking that's what Weaver found in the parking garage when we saw him reacting to finding something that we didn't see, and then in the next scene he's going to Henry. Nick must have dropped it when Ivy fought back and escaped.

I noticed that it was the pages with "The Mouse, the Bird, and the Sausage" that Henry was pointing to when referring to the Hansel and Gretel part of his book. It was only when they zoomed in so tight that you could only see a couple of lines that the text actually referred to Hansel and Gretel.

3 hours ago, KingOfHearts said:

I noticed that there was what looked like a light in one of the troll's eyes, and it was there in a couple of the shots. So maybe they didn't forget.

9 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

I'm thinking that's what Weaver found in the parking garage when we saw him reacting to finding something that we didn't see, and then in the next scene he's going to Henry. Nick must have dropped it when Ivy fought back and escaped.

I suppose that must have been it.  Though I don't remember him holding a book, or any book dropping on the floor, and I don't see why he would be attacking someone with the book in his pocket to begin with or why he wouldn't have just picked it up after Drizella ran away.  It wasn't like he was chasing her all around the parkade or anything.  

I just rewatched parts of this episode to freeze-frame on the book.  I didn't even notice it was "The Mouse, The Bird and The Sausage".  The first page they showed was "Mother Holle".  Why was Henry saying is book is his version of the stories?  He copied it from the Grimm Brothers, LOL.

The red writing on the prop make no sense.  It includes words like "Incubus", "The President made a speech about this story.  Does NO ONE but me remember it?"  

So Weaver found the book in a random storage locker (presumably, because he was looking in one, when he smiled and then it cut away).  Nick had a storage locker in the same building as Victoria's office?  And he just left the book sitting there?   Riiiight...

• Love 1

So Nick is awake then. Hansel has kind of gone full on generic serial killer then.

Henry was repeatedly stupid throughout this episode, even for him. Didn't much care for his flashbacks this week either.

The Zelena/Lucy and Zelena/Robyn scenes were pretty good. I did like Alice and Robyn's brief conversation as well.

Good use for Tiana this week, not too much Jacinda/Lucy but did miss Regina a little, 7/10

• Love 1
On 4/7/2018 at 2:06 PM, Rumsy4 said:

Someone on tumblr posted screenshots of Nick's copy of Henry's book (XX). There were handwritten notes and annotations in the margin saying "it didn't happen like that" or "does no one remember but me?" and stuff like that.

"Laces out."

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Camera One said:

Why was Henry saying is book is his version of the stories?  He copied it from the Grimm Brothers, LOL.

Or at least the props people bought and marked up a copy of the Grimms' stories to use as a stand-in for Henry's epic masterpiece.

Come to think of it, that looked a lot like the edition of Grimms' Fairy Tales they have in my library that's a Barnes & Noble publication. That book is a paperback and is about that size and shape. I bet they stuck a fake cover on top of that book's cover and marked it up as a prop, then just created a few lines to zoom in on tight, where it didn't need to look like it was in a book, to show those particular lines without them having to write/print an entire book.

35 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

Or at least the props people bought and marked up a copy of the Grimms' stories to use as a stand-in for Henry's epic masterpiece.

Come to think of it, that looked a lot like the edition of Grimms' Fairy Tales they have in my library that's a Barnes & Noble publication. That book is a paperback and is about that size and shape. I bet they stuck a fake cover on top of that book's cover and marked it up as a prop, then just created a few lines to zoom in on tight, where it didn't need to look like it was in a book, to show those particular lines without them having to write/print an entire book.

Yeah, they were very careful to show very little of it.  The part with comments in red pen about Gretel, they only showed the word Gretel.  

2 hours ago, rogvortex58 said:

The moment you realise Nook basically took Henry LARPing. lol

And Henry was so pathetic that Blackbeard willingly played along to help humor Henry and make him feel like a big boy.

But wasn't WHook doing shore patrols in an earlier episode? Wouldn't he have used the Jolly Roger for that? So shouldn't Henry have known that Blackbeard didn't have custody of the ship?

And was this happening in the Disenchanted Forest or in the Wishverse?

I finally watched this yesterday.  I tried to watch it earlier, but was so bored a few minutes in, despite there being plenty of Rogers/Whook, that I just couldn't. 

I will say this: Just when I thought the Really Bad CGI was a thing of the past, the storm scene shows up!  Good grief, I think this was worse than any that came before.  Season 7 should really be proud!  lol.  Ah well, too bad Henry didn't fall into the vortex.  I know I'm not the only one who was hoping for that.  I liked Andrew well enough at the beginning of the season, but now, adult Henry annoys me even more than adolescent Henry ever did.  Words I never thought I'd write on this forum: I miss Jared. 

And show: don't try to make Rumple all grandfatherly toward Henry now when we all know he didn't give a hoot about him while living at the End of the Universe with Belle and Gideon. 

Eh, Robyn wasn't bad.  Ditto for Tilly and Kelly.  Even Lucy was pretty un-annoying.  It was a pleasure to see Tianna again.  I swear I think she's flirting with Rogers.  Best part was getting to see Whook being all pirate-y again. 

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, Runswithscissors said:

And show: don't try to make Rumple all grandfatherly toward Henry now when we all know he didn't give a hoot about him while living at the End of the Universe with Belle and Gideon.

Rumple didn't give a hoot about Henry in StoryBooke, other thanplanning killing him due to the "prophecy" (yet another thing that went nowhere) or letting him work in the shop when PLOT!!!! demanded.

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, jhlipton said:

Rumple didn't give a hoot about Henry in StoryBooke, other thanplanning killing him due to the "prophecy" (yet another thing that went nowhere) or letting him work in the shop when PLOT!!!! demanded.

Or when he did not seem concerned about Henry's mother getting killed and then sitting down for dinner with them about an hour later at the "last supper".  I cannot wait to see what religious painting is copied in the series finale.

Unless there was some plot point that required them to interact, you never got the impression that Gold cared about Henry and at best was indifferent to him at worst he seemed not to care for him or like him.  A little odd, when you think he would have been a bit obsessed with Bae's son, esp. after he died.

Edited by CCTC
  • Love 3
20 minutes ago, CCTC said:

I cannot wait to see what religious painting is copied in the series finale.

It will be the "Creation of Adam", with A&E giving life to Regina.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, CCTC said:

I cannot wait to see what religious painting is copied in the series finale.

Let's be real -- we all know who A&E's Christ figure is:

5ad0ebbc3f105_lapietaOUAT2.jpg.db9a031797af144ea1b1ef706b95895a.jpg

(Not that they would EVER kill Regina!)

The Adoration of St Regina

5ad0ec24dc84f_adorationouat1.thumb.jpg.5811b3b8c16de7a3c4089f487e3ab82d.jpg

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, jhlipton said:

Let's be real -- we all know who A&E's Christ figure is:

5ad0ebbc3f105_lapietaOUAT2.jpg.db9a031797af144ea1b1ef706b95895a.jpg

They kind of already did that in the season 4 finale, with St. Regina dying as the Light Savior whose blood saved them all, while Emma knelt tearfully by her side.

• Love 4

Welp, another boring episode, which makes me think what was the point and what the authors tried to show me as a viewer? Adult Henry in flashbacks has an emotional maturity of a twelve year old, and Henry in the present is just boring and/or every episode has different stuff to do, which does not fall in anywhere. Weaver is essentially reduced to nothingness, Rogers wants to be a competent cop, but, let's face it, HH police is like Simpsons Springfield police, and Jack... well... he's projecting his inner Dexter Morgan. He may be interesting as a serial killer, but, um, this is not the kind the show or a format.

P.S. If Zelina wanted to appease her daugther's questions, she could have simply lied and thought up something on a spot. I mean, Robyn was traveling in Kadmandu (or whereever) for years, as I've gathered, the hell she really knows what's up with her mom's life at this point, lol.

Edited by Rushmoras
  • Love 1

I have so many questions about the flashback storyline:

1. Did they forget that WHook was de-aged 28 years, so Smee and Blackbeard should be older now? They looked like they were the same age relative to WHook as the Prime versions looked compared to Hook Prime.
  2. In season 6, Emma sent WHook back to the Jolly Roger. Early this season, they talked about him patrolling the shore, which implied he had a ship. He's in an entirely different universe from WBlackbeard. So how did Blackbeard get the Jolly Roger? Did WHook have a different ship all this time? If not, didn't Henry wonder about what happened to the Jolly Roger?
  3. How did WHook set all this up with WBlackbeard? Did he travel to the Wishverse to set it up, then go back to the Disenchanted Forest and then travel with Henry? Does the fact that WBlackbeard was willing to go along with it mean that he and WHook buried the hatchet somewhere along the way? I guess it would be in character for WHook to go around making friends instead of enemies, since he is such a cinnamon roll. And WBlackbeard might have taken pity on Old, Drunk WHook during his drunk days. They must have stayed in touch because WBlackbeard didn't notice that WHook was dramatically younger. Hey, maybe WHook was able to get WBlackbeard de-aged, and that's how they became friends.
  4. Henry's all worried about getting an engagement ring with a dramatic, heroic story so he can fit in with his family, but Charming just gave Snow his mother's ring, and it looks like Hook Prime just went to a jewelry store to get a ring for Emma.
  5. When did this take place? Lucy seems to have been born around the time Tiana took the throne, so this must have been during the rebellion. But they were able to take time to go LARPing in another universe? And with them in the middle of a revolution, they have to make up something for Henry to have something to make him feel like a hero? Did he do nothing in the revolution?

Meanwhile, there's the silliness of Henry's big podcasting job opportunity, based on the success of his hyper-local podcast about his friends and some theories about real estate deals.

There's a delightful moment near the beginning when Henry's going on about wanting to be a hero, and WHook just rolls his eyes and tosses his sword back to rest it on his shoulder. I like to think that this is WHook's real attitude toward Henry as well as Colin's editorial comment about the writing.