Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

16 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I wonder if he'll fare any better in the Dune sequel, since I finally saw the first one and it was similar. Paul Atreides is supposed to be this great leader, but Chalamet doesn't do much to make it believable.

I don't think he's supposed to be a great leader yet in Dune Part I. 

6 hours ago, Fool to cry said:

Young girls have always gone for the soft, non threatening, pretty types:  Beatles, David Cassidy, Justin Bieber. There's this funny term online called "twink death" when a male celebrity gets old and loses their youthful male beauty.

That doesn't mean they stop being popular though.  The Beatles are still revered.   Leo Dicaprio keeps working even though he's out of his glowy phase.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Fool to cry said:

Young girls have always gone for the soft, non threatening, pretty types

Yeah, but for me, Timothee isn’t attractive enough to be even in that category. But all taste is subjective.

• Like 4
20 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Paul Atreides is supposed to be this great leader, but Chalamet doesn't do much to make it believable.

Say what you will about the David Lynch film, but Kyle MacLachlan at least had presence.  Although he was no Sting in a leather bikini.

• LOL 5
(edited)

Caution: Unmarked spoilers ahead.

Classic Hollywood UO :

I adore Barbara Stanwyck to bits, but I hate Stella Dallas. I can handle some melodrama, I can live with old-fashioned plot contrivances, I can even shrug off questionable character choices, but I find the penultimate climax of Stella Dallas is just too egregiously absurd and frustrating. Stella doesn't come off as noble and self-sacrificing by pretending to reject her daughter, she comes off as stupid and selfish. And, even taking old-school class divides into consideration, just how necessary was this?

While we're on the subject, I love that fabulous legend Bette Davis, but I never liked Dark Victory, even though it's considered one of her definitive roles. Again, the melodrama is laid on way too thick, and our protagonist comes off more like a solipsistic martyr than a noble heroine (to me, anyway).

It's also just too damned long. I felt like Elaine from Seinfeld watching The English Patient: "Just DIE already!"

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Like 1
  • LOL 7
On 2/18/2024 at 12:11 PM, Shannon L. said:

I don't think Marvel's problem is "superhero fatigue ". I think that if Marvel had maintained the same quality of writing and world building that they were doing in the first 10 years, they'd still be going strong.  I know I'd be still buying advanced tickets to see the latest movie on opening weekend if that were the case.

You can blame woke ESG and DIE policies for that. 😡

On 2/27/2024 at 11:36 AM, Fool to cry said:

Young girls have always gone for the soft, non threatening, pretty types:  Beatles, David Cassidy, Justin Bieber. There's this funny term online called "twink death" when a male celebrity gets old and loses their youthful male beauty.

I cannot find it at the moment, but there's a clip form Family Guy in which Lois in a flashback says she wants to see Scott Baio in Zapped because he's handsome in a "non-threatening" way.

• Like 2
On 2/18/2024 at 9:11 AM, Shannon L. said:

I don't think Marvel's problem is "superhero fatigue ". I think that if Marvel had maintained the same quality of writing and world building that they were doing in the first 10 years, they'd still be going strong.  I know I'd be still buying advanced tickets to see the latest movie on opening weekend if that were the case.

5 hours ago, Gharlane said:

You can blame woke ESG and DIE policies for that. 😡

The policies where the women keep getting killed off or turned into villains while the guys skate? I don't believe 'woke' means what you think it means.

• Like 10
  • Applause 8
On 3/2/2024 at 12:19 PM, Wiendish Fitch said:

Caution: Unmarked spoilers ahead.

Classic Hollywood UO :

I adore Barbara Stanwyck to bits, but I hate Stella Dallas. I can handle some melodrama, I can live with old-fashioned plot contrivances, I can even shrug off questionable character choices, but I find the penultimate climax of Stella Dallas is just too egregiously absurd and frustrating. Stella doesn't come off as noble and self-sacrificing by pretending to reject her daughter, she comes off as stupid and selfish. And, even taking old-school class divides into consideration, just how necessary was this?

While we're on the subject, I love that fabulous legend Bette Davis, but I never liked Dark Victory, even though it's considered one of her definitive roles. Again, the melodrama is laid on way too thick, and our protagonist comes off more like a solipsistic martyr than a noble heroine (to me, anyway).

It's also just too damned long. I felt like Elaine from Seinfeld watching The English Patient: "Just DIE already!"

You'd really hate The Great Man's Lady (1942) which had Miss Stanwyck play a woman who not only spent the better part of a century hiding a politician's early bigamous marriage with herself but never even uttered a peep to him about their tragically drowned twin babies! I mean, COME ON! She made Stella Dallas look like Lady Macbeth!

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

Megan The Stallion's recent lawsuit made me think of this movie: Horrible Bosses.  In reference to Jennifer Aniston's character in the film.  Most Youtube comments and what not thought Charlie Day's character was an idiot for having her throw herself at him and he felt he was being harassed.  

Yeah Jennifer was gorgeous and sexy watching the movie.  But in real life situations the dude is there to do a job and not deal with bull shit.  And he also was getting married so he's trying to stay faithful to his wife.

It does not make him any less of man he doesn't want any part of stuff like that while he's trying to work.  

• Like 4

Not sure where to put this question, but what happened to Number 4 in Short Circuit? The last time we see Number 4 is at the party when they realize Number 5 is missing because only the first four arrive. We see Number 1 twice later once when Crosby and Ben take with them to help find Number 5 and later when it attacks Number 5 with Number 2 and 3. But Number 4 wasn't there. Why take three and not all four of the robots? Not that the three did that good anyways. Maybe Number 4 took off while everyone was busy looking Number 5? 

I don't like any of the Brat Pack movies. Nope, none of 'em*. In fact, here's my personal rule regarding teen comedies from the 1980s: If they don't have John Cusack, then I just don't care. **

*I haven't seen St. Elmo's Fire, because I simply cannot be bothered.

**I realize he was in Sixteen Candles, but just barely. 

• LOL 2

"HE'S SKIING ON ONE SKI!" My roommate was from France in grad school so we always asked him if he liked FRAUNCH dressing. 

I didn't find St Elmo's Fire much anyway so you didn't miss much. 

I can't say I'm a fan of those movies either. I was just too young when they came out, and when I finally got around to watching them, I think I was a little too old. I can appreciate that the acting was good, and you really had about 10 or so really great actors all contemporaries; that never happened before, but the plots were all cloying. 

Even The Big Chill. I watched it a few years ago because it's a "classic" and it was all 60s music and Jeff Goldblum not quite at his Goldblumness yet. And they drank a lot of coffee. Great SNL skit though. 

I'll give a UO on the movies themselves - Fresh Horses was far far far superior to Sixteen Candles and Eric Stoltz was the best actor out of all of them. 

There's two movies that are *the* 80s, if you didn't live through it and really want to know - Less Than Zero and Wall Street. That's all you need. 

• Like 4
16 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

"HE'S SKIING ON ONE SKI!" My roommate was from France in grad school so we always asked him if he liked FRAUNCH dressing. 

I always call it FRAUNCH bread, and FRAUNCH fries, and to drink, Peru!  Maybe not an unpopular opinion, but I love that movie.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I always call it FRAUNCH bread, and FRAUNCH fries, and to drink, Peru!  Maybe not an unpopular opinion, but I love that movie.

Me, too.

Don't know if this is an unpopular opinion, but I love Sixteen Candles despite its obvious problems.  It's actually my favorite of John Hughes' teen movies.

• Like 6

I enjoyed most of John Hughes' films when they came out, but looking back now, I'm not interested in watching any of them again, although, there are certain scenes and/or quotes from them that I still find funny.  But, overall, I don't enjoy them like I used to when I was younger.  Except.....

She's Having a Baby.  Imo, it's the best of the John Hughes movies that I've seen and I can still watch it today. 

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

"TWO DOLLARS!!! I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!!!"

• Fire 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I like John Hughes movies. But I don't love them. There's a lot other movies from the time period I love. 

I was too young to see the classic John Hughes films in a theatre.  Ditto for any other 80s comedy.  But, we had HBO so I did see my fair share.  I don't recall HBO having any of John's movies in their catalog back then.  They did have One Crazy Summer, Better Off Dead, Real Genius, and Top Secret! in heavy rotation.  

• Like 2

Forrest Gump was I thought great watching it as a kid.  Today, something about it doesn't hold up all that well to me.  Even for nostalgic sake.  

• Like 3
22 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

Forrest Gump was I thought great watching it as a kid.  Today, something about it doesn't hold up all that well to me.  Even for nostalgic sake.  

I think it's one of the dumbest movies ever.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
(edited)

Twice now I've been to a movie where some of the audience cheers when they see the trailer for Beetlejuice 2.  Am I the only one who really didn't like the first movie?

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Like 5
53 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

Twice now I've been to a movie where some of the audience cheers when they see the trailer for Beetlejuice 2.  Am I the only one who really didn't like the first movie?

I liked the first one.  But the nostalgia of it isn’t really making me crave watching the second one.  Yet anyway.  

• Like 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Shannon L. said:

I loved it as a kid but as an adult I don't like it.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Like 2
55 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

Dr. Zhivago:  Looonnnnggg and, frankly, boring.  Also, playing Lara's Theme throughout the movie just drove me crazy.

I hate that movie too, for the reasons you stated. I also hate how Yuri treated poor Tanya, and I frankly don't get Lara's (or Julie Christie's) appeal. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 4
4 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

I tried watching the first one a couple of months ago. Didn't like it. Killed any interest I had in the sequel.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I hate that movie too, for the reasons you stated. I also hate how Yuri treated poor Tanya, and I frankly don't get Lara's (or Julie Christie's) appeal. 

As much as I love a sad, sweeping historical drama, I just cannot with Julie Christie in that movie. Her makeup is too distracting. She's orange when the rest of the cast gets more natural makeup. 

• Like 4
9 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

I've never seen the first movie, even though I'm old enough to have either seen it in the theaters or on TV. 

And I don't have any particular desire to see it even though I'm a fan of Michael Keaton.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

"Kent? This is God."

"Because all of my filth is arranged in alphabetical order. This, for instance, is under 'H' for "toy.""

• LOL 2
On 6/17/2024 at 12:05 PM, Shannon L. said:

I enjoyed it at the time and have fond memories although I haven't seen it in years.  But I see absolutely no need for a sequel, ever.

• Like 3

I respect people that like Ghostbusters but outside of liking the theme song the movies have done very little for me.

Even that Roy Parker Jr. is an underrated singer with a lot of other songs better than Who You Gonna Call 

• Like 1
(edited)

My unpopular take is Bobby Brown's song (however you feel about him as a person) for Ghostbusters 2, On Our Own, is a better song than Who You Gonna Call. Maybe not a better theme song for a movie, but a better song overall.

Edited by Palimelon
  • Like 4
11 hours ago, Palimelon said:

My unpopular take is Bobby Brown's song (however you feel about him as a person) for Ghostbusters 2, On Our Own, is a better song than Who You Gonna Call. Maybe not a better theme song for a movie, but a better song overall.

Hard to mess with a LaFace production, while "Ghostbusters" is not even in Ray Parker's top 5. (Although he likes those royalty checks, I'm sure. Even if he has to split them with Huey Lewis.)

• Like 4

Some of Will Ferrell's comedy bits were funny on SNL but to me his movies were largely unfunny.

The really unfunny one that comes to mind for me was Anchorman.  I mean perhaps today I would feel differently but I thought it was like the stupidest thing I ever watched.  And I like Christina Applegate as well.   I saw the film had like a 20th anniversary thing lately.  The only remotely funny scene I recall is when he literally starts eating shit.  

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, BlueSkies said:

Some of Will Ferrell's comedy bits were funny on SNL but to me his movies were largely unfunny.

The really unfunny one that comes to mind for me was Anchorman.  I mean perhaps today I would feel differently but I thought it was like the stupidest thing I ever watched.  And I like Christina Applegate as well.   I saw the film had like a 20th anniversary thing lately.  The only remotely funny scene I recall is when he literally starts eating shit.  

I found Anchorman appallingly unfunny. I watched maybe half an hour of it, and I swear I could feel my brain leaking out of my ears.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
Damn near negated my own point.
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
On 7/27/2024 at 12:30 PM, Wiendish Fitch said:

I found Anchorman appallingly unfunny. I watched maybe half an hour of it, and I swear I could feel my brain leaking out of my ears.

I agree and I've also wondered what Bill Kurtis was thinking in agreeing to narrate that movie and its sequel. I hope he donated his salary to fund struggling journalists and/or a news archive.

• LOL 1