Type keyword(s) to search

O.J. Simpson: The Lost Confession? (Fox)

• Start Topic

Well, it wasn't lost. It was supposed to be aired in a network special 10 years ago until it was pulled. 

This "special" will feature Judith Regan, the odious editor who green-lighted the book and even found a way to create some back channel way to pay O.J. for his participation so that the money wouldn't given to the Goldman family (since it was post civil lawsuit). 

I'l be watching but I'll hate myself the morning after. 

Airs tomorrow (March 11) at 8:00 PM on Fox.

I'm probably going to watch this too. I wonder how many (if any) of the "O.J. is innocent" believers will change their minds after listening to him confess? 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, GaT said:

I'm probably going to watch this too. I wonder how many (if any) of the "O.J. is innocent" believers will change their minds after listening to him confess? 

They've believed the conspiracy theory bullshit for years. I doubt anything will change their minds now.

Join me in the party of those that watch it (and hate myself afterward.)

• Love 2

Good lord, it's worse than I thought. I have had it up to here of watching ANYONE playing the victim to justify horrible behavior. And the way he trashed Nicole, calling her "too affectionate" toward the kids and acting like she was the one obsessed with him...it's enough to make you vomit. But then, it's not like OJ is the only one telling flat-out lies in the face of concrete evidence to the contrary. We get plenty of that from certain people.

At least Chris Darden, Nicole's friend, and the other commentators were there to call out his bullshit.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 6

He really did confess for all intents and purposes. Blew me away and did my heart a tiny bit of good to hear it. And no, even hearing it from him won’t change the “he’s innocent” believers. He really loves himself doesn’t he?

• Love 10

Some media.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/true-stories/let-him-hang-himself-oj-simpson-opens-up-on-the-night-nicole-was-murdered/news-story/6c7183b38418902abc093a0e58a49177

Simpson then alleged that outside the home, he was confronted by Goldman and Nicole.

“As things got heated, Nicole fell and hurt herself,” he said.

He added Goldman “kind of got into a karate thing,” which prompted him to say, “Well, you think you can kick my ass?”

Simpson then claimed, “At that time, I think Charlie had followed this guy in, to make sure there was no problem, and he brought in the knife. I took the knife from Charlie, and to be honest, after that, I don’t remember, except I’m standing there and there’s all kinda stuff around. Blood and stuff.”

When pressed, Simpson said, “It’s hard for me to describe it. I didn’t think anybody could be murdered the way they were without everybody covered in blood. We’ve all seen the grisly pictures after. Everything was covered, would have been covered in blood … It was horrible. It was absolutely horrible.”

http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/oj-simpson-fox-lost-confession-judith-regan-1202723695/

Regan was also part of the panel. She maintained she did not challenge Simpson on his statements because she wanted to keep him talking about the murders. She said Simpson told her that he agreed to speak in hypothetical terms “to maintain deniability with the children.” Regan told the panel that the interview “absolutely” convinced her that he was the murder. “There’s no doubt in my mind,” she said.

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

“As things got heated, Nicole fell and hurt herself,” he said.

She must've fallen right into his knife.  

No one in their right mind who had been accused of the murders would have been recorded or interviewed saying "if I had done it, this is how it happened".  No logical person.  He still thinks he's the super jock who can get away with anything.   And he had a friend named 'Charlie'?  Yeah maybe that's what he calls his alter ego.  

He's a moron who couldn't keep his big mouth shut.  I really think he'll do something else stupid, and end up back in prison again.

• Love 16
12 minutes ago, hoosier80 said:

No one in their right mind who had been accused of the murders would have been recorded or interviewed saying "if I had done it, this is how it happened".  

accused is the operative word here. and you're right. however, this interview took place more than a decade after he had been ACQUITTED of the murders. and since double jeopardy meant he couldn't be tried again, this interview was just a big "fuck you!" 

• Love 7

Well, according to O.J., the only person in this whole story who was a victim was...O.J. /eyeroll

Did he ever say what he "hypothetically" did with his "hypothetical" bloody clothes? Because I'm still convinced that's what was in the large luggage bag his good pal Robert Kardashian was photographed with leaving his O.J.'s house with one day

Shame on the show for not pointing out the Judith Regan (who was wearing a horrifying pair of Frankenstein boots and a jacket that made it appear like she was having a dandruff storm from her scalp) got O.J. paid for this book in a manner that prevented the funds from going to the Goldman family. (Which, they had the last laugh -- they got the rights to the book and changed the title to I Did It.) 

If anyone can find it, there was also an A&E special from last year (or maybe the year prior) called the Lost Tapes -- which showcased all of O.J.'s civil trial depositions. He's a complete psychopath.

4 hours ago, GaT said:

I don't know how anyone could watch this & still think he's innocent.

Seriously, do the "true believers" ever stop to wonder what kind of person does a "hypothetical confession" a decade after they're acquitted for murder? Of course, there is no end to the amount of mental gymnastic people will do just to keep from admitting they were wrong.

• Love 7

I watched it but it made me sick remembering the whole sordid affair. I felt frustrated, however, by the editting b/c I couldn't help but notice how short the panel discussions were and how little they actually discussed.  I had to wonder why some of them were there b/c they had so little to say and were more or less twiddling their thumbs. I am probably going to goto Hell for this, but Nicole's friend needs to lay off on the botox.

I found the part where OJ "hypothetically" described what happened to be bone-chilling. That man is a pyschopath! 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

If anyone can find it, there was also an A&E special from last year (or maybe the year prior) called the Lost Tapes -- which showcased all of O.J.'s civil trial depositions. He's a complete psychopath.

I think it was last year--all of that stuff came out in different specials around the same time that FX was airing the OJ Simpson murder trial. And I had to wake up to the radio station playing that part of the tape--him laughing like finding all the "blood and stuff" around the bodies as one big fucking joke.

• Love 4

Hearing OJ "hypothetically" expound about how the murder went down was probably the most bizarre thing I have ever witnessed. Especially the part about his (once again) "hypothetical" partner in crime, Charlie.

All of this said with that smirk that seriously needs to be wiped off his pathetic, has-been face. 

That said, I doubt those few who believe OJ is innocent had their minds changed. 

It reminds me a joke about JFK conspiracy theorists. 

A JFK conspiracist dies and goes to heaven. Upon entering the pearly gates, he is greeted by God, who tells him that he can ask any question about any topic, and he will be given the absolute truth. Of course the conspiracy theorist asks "Who killed JFK?", to which God calmly and quickly answers, "Lee Harvey Oswald". 

The conspiracy theoriest takes in the information, ponders it for a moment, and then says to himself "This thing goes up even higher than I thought!" 

• Love 14

I think the one takeaway that could actually be considering enlightening from this mess was the tidbit that OJ had been seen (numerous times) at Nicole's gravesite yelling at her tombstone. One of the panelists, it might have been Regan, suggested that it was because he was mad that even though he killed her -- he couldn't help himself for being angry at her still

And whomever was in charge of the lighting on that original Fox set I sure hope is no longer working at the job they were clearly bad at. OJ's face is super shiny and Judith Regan was flop-sweating through the entire thing. Not a good look for either one.

Maybe someone can answer this for me: how does Regan have any credibility, when she was working to make sure that neither the Brown or Goldman families would get the money IF that book had been released? Or is the story that she was a scapegoat for that?

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

Well, according to O.J., the only person in this whole story who was a victim was...O.J. /eyeroll

Did he ever say what he "hypothetically" did with his "hypothetical" bloody clothes? Because I'm still convinced that's what was in the large luggage bag his good pal Robert Kardashian was photographed with leaving his O.J.'s house with one day

Shame on the show for not pointing out the Judith Regan (who was wearing a horrifying pair of Frankenstein boots and a jacket that made it appear like she was having a dandruff storm from her scalp) got O.J. paid for this book in a manner that prevented the funds from going to the Goldman family. (Which, they had the last laugh -- they got the rights to the book and changed the title to I Did It.) 

He said something like "obviously someone had to dispose of the bloody clothes."  Yeah, I read through every single deposition out there, there is not doubt he's at least a sociopath.

It's bothering me how choppy this thing is though, because I probably know the entire timeline and it's not flowing.  WHY didn't the interviewer say "who?"  I don't think that would have blown his rambling much, ditto with the glove "Obviously I dropped it, didn't even know I took it off."  Thurman thanks you OJ.

8 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Seriously, do the "true believers" ever stop to wonder what kind of person does a "hypothetical confession" a decade after they're acquitted for murder? Of course, there is no end to the amount of mental gymnastic people will do just to keep from admitting they were wrong.

I don't think very many really believe he didn't do it.  I'm pretty sure we cited articles in the Crime Story OJ forum from former jurors admitting as much.  What they believe is that if white cops get off, so should black OJ.

5 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I think it was last year--all of that stuff came out in different specials around the same time that FX was airing the OJ Simpson murder trial. And I had to wake up to the radio station playing that part of the tape--him laughing like finding all the "blood and stuff" around the bodies as one big fucking joke.

All what stuff?  Darden didn't even watch that show, though I wish he did, and perhaps his daughter did finally convince him to watch it.  I know she watched and commented all the way through. 

1 hour ago, Giant Misfit said:

I think the one takeaway that could actually be considering enlightening from this mess was the tidbit that OJ had been seen (numerous times) at Nicole's gravesite yelling at her tombstone. One of the panelists, it might have been Regan, suggested that it was because he was mad that even though he killed her -- he couldn't help himself for being angry at her still

And whomever was in charge of the lighting on that original Fox set I sure hope is no longer working at the job they were clearly bad at. OJ's face is super shiny and Judith Regan was flop-sweating through the entire thing. Not a good look for either one.

One of the valuable comments from the "panel" was that OJ still blaming Nicole was typical behavior from abusers, watching him blame her for her own murder was chilling.

Other thoughts.

I think the "conspiracy" folks will think that OJ's son was the "Charlie" guy or whatever name it was that OJ used.  Many still believe the son did it, and saint OJ covered for him. 

I loved that she did let him keep talking, that's always how OJ hung himself.  This time, no lawyers there to TRY to keep him to a script.  He's so confident he can convince anyone of anything.  Because she let him keep talking he kept slipping up and saying "I" and apparently stopped bothering with "hypothetical" although we are obviously seeing heavily edited material here.

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

All what stuff?  Darden didn't even watch that show, though I wish he did, and perhaps his daughter did finally convince him to watch it.  I know she watched and commented all the way through. 

I don't know. It was Simpson saying that he didn't remember getting the knife, and next thing he knows, he's surrounded by "blood and stuff." That's what he actually said while laughing. Or was I dreaming it? I'm pretty sure the NY Times article posted above said the same thing?

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/03/oj-simpson-the-lost-confession-reviews-exploitative-ratings?mbid=nl_CH_5aa6c1dbaffa80574bdbb0c1&CNDID=29505557&spMailingID=13104203&spUserID=MTMzMTgyNjM3NTk0S0&spJobID=1361143780&spReportId=MTM2MTE0Mzc4MAS2

But to voices like E.W.’s Kristen Baldwin, the damage outweighed whatever attempts Fox made to turn this interview into anything but naked profiteering. To Baldwin, the presence of a panel that viewed Simpson critically simply did not make up for the fact that Fox “gave O.J. Simpson a platform to paint Nicole Brown as a ‘confrontational’ woman who instigated drama with him and ‘had been in her share of fights’; as a drug user who slept around and hosted sex parties; as a woman who wore an ‘inappropriate’ outfit to her daughter’s dance recital.”

• Love 3
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I don't know. It was Simpson saying that he didn't remember getting the knife, and next thing he knows, he's surrounded by "blood and stuff." That's what he actually said while laughing. Or was I dreaming it? I'm pretty sure the NY Times article posted above said the same thing?

You didn't dream it.

On that note, OJ couldn't get enough pancreatic cancer to satisfy me.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Umbelina said:

[quoting VF article]To Baldwin, the presence of a panel that viewed Simpson critically simply did not make up for the fact that Fox “gave O.J. Simpson a platform to paint Nicole Brown as a ‘confrontational’ woman who instigated drama with him and ‘had been in her share of fights’; as a drug user who slept around and hosted sex parties; as a woman who wore an ‘inappropriate’ outfit to her daughter’s dance recital.”

I agree and disagree with this author. OJ does not need another platform with which he can further drag the woman he murdered. That said, no one at this point believes this nonsense and sees it for what it is -- the words of a narcissistic wife abuser/killer whose last shred of decency died back in the 70s.  

I was listening to a talk radio show disecting some of his statements and they suggested that his imaginary friend "Charlie" was code for whatever drug he was on at the time.

I can't believe I watched the whole thing especially after hearing him giggle like a schoolgirl.  Disgusting is too good of a word to describe him.

• Love 5

I couldn’t believe the part where Nicole’s friend said that he went to Nicole’s grave to yell at her.  He’s sick.  I really hope he lands back in jail, which is too good for him.  I know he’s their father, but I don’t know how any of his kids could support him in any way.

From watching the documentaries, the jurors said his acquittal (aside from mistakes by the prosecution) were payback for Rodney King and other injustices by law enforcement, but I can’t forgive that.  That didn’t make things right or equal.  I was in college at the time, and I could not take part in the cheers because it made no sense to me.

The “Charlie” thing was really strange.

• Love 10

Mr. Kicotan asked me just now how long it will be before his bizarre behavior is blamed on the concussions he suffered during his football career.  Y'know, since he's such a victim and all, I'm a little surprised he hasn't used that excuse himself.

• Love 2

OJ's smiling and laughing during the whole interview were very unsettling. The guy basically confessed to the murders of Ron and Nicole and yet there will still be people who consider him to be innocent. There could be video footage of him committing the murders and the naysayers would still believe in his innocence. 

What bothered me as well was how he complained about Nicole being too affectionate with the children. He obviously hated that she didn't pay more attention to him.

It's also crazy how even after death, he still can't leave her alone. Going to her gravesite and yelling at her speaks volumes of how deranged he is. It's like he's angry at her for "making" him kill her because she wasn't allowing him to control her life anymore. 

At the end of the day, it's very sad how things turned out. Two kids were left without a mom and I doubt OJ has a loving relationship with them. I feel for Nicole and Ron's families who have to live with the pain everyday of losing their loved ones in such a horrible way and have to deal with the fact that OJ got away with it.

• Love 11

I live in the Buffalo area, and the special has apparently triggered some discussion of whether his name should be taken down from the Bills' Hall of Fame.

News Article

You can clink another link to see Facebook comments, and they seem very split, with the usual Facebook drama.  There seems to be a fairly even split, but with the usual inability of people on Facebook to understand anything related to the law. One caught my eye, because the poster started with "While I'm no fan of his crime..."  I couldn't believe that.  

10 hours ago, Steph619 said:

OJ's smiling and laughing during the whole interview were very unsettling. The guy basically confessed to the murders of Ron and Nicole and yet there will still be people who consider him to be innocent. There could be video footage of him committing the murders and the naysayers would still believe in his innocence. 

There may be a handful of people that actually believe he’s truly innocent, but it seems that for most part, those naysayers don’t even care.  The jurors sure as hell didn’t. For those types, it was all about getting even with white people. It had nothing to do with 2 innocent people being butchered to death, that was incidental and completely irrelevant. It was about “righting” some wrongs in their eyes. I wonder how those same people would feel if 12 people used that same thought process if their loved one was murdered. 

• Love 13
8 hours ago, NinaH said:

There may be a handful of people that actually believe he’s truly innocent, but it seems that for most part, those naysayers don’t even care.  The jurors sure as hell didn’t. For those types, it was all about getting even with white people. It had nothing to do with 2 innocent people being butchered to death, that was incidental and completely irrelevant. It was about “righting” some wrongs in their eyes. I wonder how those same people would feel if 12 people used that same thought process if their loved one was murdered. 

I think it was about getting even with the LAPD more than white people. Furman's reputation certainly didn't help.

He was a habitual abuser who escalated and sadly that happens every day. So tragic that she really knew that she might be killed at any time. I can't imagine living like that. I think he might not be done doing bad things.

When I moved to Los Angeles in 1999 I was with my husband and we are entering a video store. There's a man walking towards me and we do that dance where each person tries to move out of the others way and as we are doing that, I look up and realize it's OJ. He gets into a black Bronco with another guy and drove away. He was a really big guy.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Soobs said:

I think it was about getting even with the LAPD more than white people. Furman's reputation certainly didn't help.

He was a habitual abuser who escalated and sadly that happens every day. So tragic that she really knew that she might be killed at any time. I can't imagine living like that. I think he might not be done doing bad things.

When I moved to Los Angeles in 1999 I was with my husband and we are entering a video store. There's a man walking towards me and we do that dance where each person tries to move out of the others way and as we are doing that, I look up and realize it's OJ. He gets into a black Bronco with another guy and drove away. He was a really big guy.

Yeah, Fuhrman was probably what cinched it for sure, but IMO even without him, that jury wouldn’t have convicted him anyway. And I have to admit, I get it with the LAPD being corrupt and then hearing Fuhrman.

When you had the encounter with OJ, did he laugh it off or was he annoyed?  Or did you get any kind of read off him?  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, NinaH said:

Yeah, Fuhrman was probably what cinched it for sure, but IMO even without him, that jury wouldn’t have convicted him anyway. And I have to admit, I get it with the LAPD being corrupt and then hearing Fuhrman.

When you had the encounter with OJ, did he laugh it off or was he annoyed?  Or did you get any kind of read off him?  

I often wonder what would have happened if the trial had been in the Santa Monica courthouse like it was supposed to be. You probably remember his trial only moved because the Northridge earthquake had damaged the SM courthouse and it was closed for repairs. Although his celebrity status probably would have protected him like it did Robert Blake a few years later.

When I had my OJ run in he definitely was not amused. He was very stone faced, not mad really, but he looked prepared to take on negative attention. In the 06 interview he says how much the public loved him but this video store was near Nicole's house and I doubt people who lived around there were positive towards him. My husband said that I looked shocked and scared when I recognized him. As someone who was used to being recognized and adored, he must have had to get used to the shocked/ scared looks too. That couldn't have been easy for him as especially after watching the interview you could see that he likes to think of himself as a nice guy.

Couple of thing that struck me. One is how much Los Angeles has changed since the trial. The neighborhood near the downtown courthouse is the most gentrified neighborhood in the US since 2000 and LAPD underwent a lot of leadership changes too. Although domestic violence is taken more seriously, it's been a slower fight. When the murders happened it seemed like his defenders had a dismissive attitude towards his abusive ways. I remember having a lot of conversations where defenders would say that it takes two to tango and that she had an equal role in it.

The other is that after the murders there was a theory floating around that he had done it but he had disassociated and actually wasn't aware he had done it. After watching this there is no way you could make that argument. He knows he did it and got away with it and he still blames her for making him do it to her. I hope he finds himself totally ostracized. 

• Love 7

Dear Mr. Simpson, When you were acquitted and released, you promised you would spend every dime you had to find Nicole’s murderer. May I ask, all these years later, how much you have actually spent to date? should i close my eyes and see what I see? 

• Love 6
On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 1:19 PM, Giant Misfit said:

I'm sure in his head its her fault she died *massive, neverending, seeing the inside of my head eyeroll*

This came up as a “suggestion” on TV queue...I heard about it, but couldn’t imagine how much more O.J. could say about the murders other than deny, deny, deny...I really didn’t imagine how much closer he could get to a confession outside of flat out saying “I did it.” His entire attitude toward Nicole was textbook classic abuser behavior. Too attentive to their kids and not enough to him, dressing too provactively, she was “combative” so clearly she had it coming, etc. That description of the details of the murders, him constantly slipping out of the “hypothetical” position, it gave me chills. I was 14 when the whole trial happened, so I didn’t feel any type of way about it, but now rewatching all of the coverage about it again...I understand WHY he was found not guilty, but is clearly guilty and has absolutely no remorse about it.

Without veering too far off topic, I watched the Made in America doc about him when it was on Hulu, and I just have so many questions. His football career was before my time, and I just barely remember him from the Naked Gun movies. I had no idea he was such a big celebrity, and I wonder how someone who built such a great life for himself and someone who was so focused and driven would do something so awful and throw it all away. At what point did he veer off course? I also wonder where he would be if he hadn’t done it and the trial of the century didn’t happen. What kind of life would he have now? The whole thing is just sad.

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 4:03 PM, Happy Belly said:

Dear Mr. Simpson, When you were acquitted and released, you promised you would spend every dime you had to find Nicole’s murderer. May I ask, all these years later, how much you have actually spent to date? should i close my eyes and see what I see? 

MADtv did a GREAT segment about OJ looking for her murderer at various golf courses. I think he gave chase a couple times but was outrun. ha ha I searched for it but wasn't successful.

• Love 3