Type keyword(s) to search

Farewell Community

(edited)

I'll miss it a bit and feel really badly for those who still love the show, but overall this news hits me far, FAR less hard than it would have a couple of seasons ago. Some weird part of me is even kind of relieved; I didn't want my annoyance with recent seasons to start eroding my love for the earlier ones.

Things I'll always miss, in no particular order:

The witty dialogue; the genuine bonds among the study group members (and especially the Troy/Abed friendship); the show's ability to blend all different types of humor and surprising poignancy; how sharply and lovingly defined the main characters are (well...were!); how smart and insightful it could be; the fact that this group of dysfunctional misfits often felt like a genuine family to me, as corny as I realize that sounds! I even enjoyed Pierce and missed him more than I'd have expected. 

Things I won't miss:

The way the show tried to mock and 'shippy tropes while still resorting to said 'shippy tropes to a tiresome and exasperating degree, simultaneously making fun of and pandering to "'shippers" of various couples and just generally making me wish the show banned itself from ever even hinting at intra-group romance.

How often the show crossed that thin line from 'creative' to just being self-indulgently, obnoxiously weird for the sake of being weird, as if their primary aspiration was to be 'edgy' rather than funny and effective. Similarly, how the show's compulsion to do increasingly obscure 'high concept' episodes seemed to trump basic characterization and storytelling. 

Chang and the Dean. I get why people liked them, but they bug the hell out of me.

Edited by mstaken
  • Love 7

I think the loss of Pierce and Troy in the same season kinda crippled the show. If they had just lost Pierce this season and kept Troy, I think the show would have kept some of its magic this past season.

I'll miss it a bit and feel really badly for those who still love the show, but overall this news hits me far, FAR less hard than it would have a couple of seasons ago

I agree. I had almost no reaction to this news at all. I guess that means TPTB managed to recently drain most of what I enjoyed about the show? Oh well. I still have my dvds...

Thanks to the cast. May they be courted with great projects in the future.

• Love 4

I actually just watched one episode this season...I was getting a little tired of the self-indulgently weird stuff, and I was sad about losing my favorite character Troy, though I know there were definitely moments of greatness throughout the whole series, even the Harmon-less season.

I wish they had gotten their six seasons and a movie, but I thank them for a good run and some absolutely fantastic episodes that will live on.

Even though the past two seasons have been pretty uneven, I'm still sad to see it go.  I'm guessing everyone was preparing for this possibility, but I had hoped that we would have been able to see some of the minor characters one last time before it was over.  

• Love 1

To me, every episode since Season 2 was a miracle, a triumph over the laws of network television. I can't believe it lasted this long. It is better to have seen and lost, than never to have seen at all...

• Love 4

I can't say I'm surprised. Most of the cast before season 5 aired even said it themselves so it didn't really seem like a big deal when I read the news today.

Currently my favourites seasons are in order 1 - 5, I don't feel like Harmon was the saviour of the show after season 4 that he claimed to be. Season 5 was a huge disappointment for me and really I just wish it had ended in season 3. I guess my concerns were right and Community just didn't work without Troy. And you know, maybe if they didn't have animated episode that served no purpose..

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't know, Community is like the TV show version of a zombie, I will not be surprised if it staggers back to life again. But I agree with every word MsTaken said, plus the catch phrases was getting on my last nerve.

Edited by random chance
  • Love 1

It's been a long time, since it was at its best, but I loved Community. I'll miss terribly the greatness that was its first 3 seasons. I kept waiting for that brilliance to be back in S5, but it never quite managed it, although there were some glimpses of it. All in all, this was a memorable show. Clever and very funny. RIP Community.

• Love 6

Eh, it could be as localized as an asteroid hit wiping out GCC, or at most the city of Greendale... I suppose an asteroid hit that large would probably be disastrous on a global scale anyways.

I'm fine with the show ending, but I would watch a 6th season. I don't really have many shows left to watch other than on Sunday night. I'll watch the end of Parks and Rec, just because I like to finish things. I'm glad that Harmon was back this past season--the gas leak season was just painful for me. 

Even at it's worst, Community was a far wittier show than most of them out there.

I will miss it.

My teen boys are currently watching reruns at night & are hooked!

Funniest line ever- "wash your dupa".

• Love 2
(edited)

I would rather not have a sixth season. I really disliked Season 5- enough that I only watched a couple episodes. Maybe it got better but nothing I heard made me want to watch, specifically whatever that stuff was around a proposal. I think as others have mentioned the loss of both Pierce and Troy was too much, Jeff coming back as an instructor- I don't know the quality wasn't there. I hated the GI Joe episode and I typically like the different formats, but it just felt pointless. The eps before it, which I apparently have blocked out, I disliked even more. I wish TPTB would let a show go when it's time. The slow decline into mediocrity and worse is painful. I know sometimes it's successful when these secondary pickups happen (ie. Cougar Town for a while, FNL) but those arguably were in a better state, and hadn't just ended sucky seasons.

Anyways just my 2 c. I just hate seeing shows I love dying sloooow painful deaths.   

Topic: RIP Community, I loved Seasons 1-3 and parts of season 4. I am savouring the few early eps I haven't yet seen. I'm really looking forward to rewatches, and I will also obsessively read all the reviews and commentary for the eps as I rewatch as I came on the scene partway through season 3 I think. 

Edited by cleo
  • Love 3

I do hope that Season 6 happens. If for nothing but that the fans who want it back get their wish. After all, I can always choose not to watch if it becomes Season 3/4 terrible, or worse. But I think it's still cleverer than a lot of the shows that did make it - seriously how is 2.5 men and 2 broke girls still on - so with them on air, I feel no shame in wanting a return of Community

• Love 1

With the exception of maybe 2 episodes and a scene here or there, I did not care for the last season. So it feels like time to me. My only wish right now is that they make the series available either on Netflix or Amazon.