Type keyword(s) to search

Queer Eye in the Media

• Start Topic

On 11/16/2023 at 9:23 PM, buttersister said:

Too bad. I could lose a cast member, but I wouldn’t have chosen Bobby.

I'd choose Jonathan to leave.  Not even a difficult choice.

I am curious as to what went down between Bobby and Tan.  Also, I do think it's kinda messed up that Bobby is saying that they'd all agreed not to renew their contracts and then he's the only one that didn't.  This is why I've never vibed as much with this cast as with the original.  With the original, they came off as if they'd all been friends forever and hung out outside of work.  I was shocked when I found out that they'd all been cast independently because they had such an easy rapport with one another.  With this new cast, they are very much co-workers.   

https://www.thecut.com/2024/01/bobby-berk-finally-explains-why-he-left-netflixs-queer-eye.html

• Like 2
(edited)

Bobby and Tan are my personal all-stars in this cast.  They both do their jobs well, and it shows they know what they're talking about.  I could easily do without Jonathan or Antoni, I would welcome a re-cast.  But it's Karamo who I would love to see booted.  I don't need to hear any more mushy platitudes or dime store psychodrama.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • LOL 1
On 2/7/2024 at 2:12 PM, sugarbaker design said:

But it's Karamo who I would love to see booted.  I don't need to hear any more mushy platitudes or dime store psychodrama.

They would just replace him with someone else who would do the same thing. The "culture" guru is always the weak link. It was the same with Jai in the original version. The food guru is second to last in impact too. Hair, home reno and clothes are the biggest visual impact on the show. 

Bobby says he left because they were only signed on for seven seasons and he had already mentally moved on so . . . why did he agree to do an 8th season? He was definitely one my favorites. I remember how emotional he got about the whole church thing and it really got me choked up. He's overcome a lot in his life. I'll miss him. I'd definitely watch another show if he gets one. The others, not so much. 

• Like 1

‘They Play Nice’: Inside the Tensions and Tumult at ‘Queer Eye’

Berk was breaking up the beloved band, who had always publicly presented themselves as a familial, tight-knit unit. But after eight long seasons, 10 Queer Eye production members and well-placed sources tell Rolling Stone, that notion was beginning to shatter. Petty disputes and competition over who is considered the show’s top star were increasingly spilling out into the public. Even making the show was difficult, four production sources say, due, in part, to Van Ness’ behind-the-scenes behavior. Three more sources who worked with the reality star described Van Ness as emotionally “abusive” and having “rage issues.”

As Queer Eye got bigger, the quintet grew increasingly competitive over screen time and who had the best sound bites, production sources say, as each jockeyed to be the show’s biggest star. Still, it was clear hairstylist Van Ness was the breakout personality.

That, however, brought another set of issues. Four Queer Eye production sources and three sources who worked with Van Ness said the reality star was terrible to work with, using words like “monster,” “nightmare,” and “demeaning” to describe them. Three people labeled Van Ness as emotionally “abusive” and having “rage issues,” and all seven sources said the star would lash out at crew members and people who worked closely with Van Ness. 

“[There’s] a real emotion of fear around them when they get angry. It’s almost like a cartoon where it oozes out of them,” one source who worked with Van Ness explains. “It’s intense and scary.” During filming, one production source estimated that Van Ness would explode at least once a week. “He was a yeller,” they said. (Van Ness did not reply to multiple requests for comment.) 

It’s a stark contrast to Van Ness’ public personality. While there is genuine connection between Van Ness and the heroes, six sources say, they also describe the star’s public persona as largely a charade. “Jonathan’s a person who contains multitudes and who has the capacity to be very warm, very charismatic, and has the capacity to make you feel really special that they are paying attention to you,” one source who worked with Van Ness explains. “But at least once a day, they would need to yell at somebody. It might be something small, but there’s always going to be somebody to point out and blame and make the villain of the day.” 

Van Ness’ behavior allegedly contributed to the rift within the Fab Five, with two sources saying it led to certain members of the group — including Berk — reluctant to shoot scenes with Van Ness. “There was absolutely tension between everybody else, especially from Jonathan Van Ness,” says one production member. “He didn’t want to ever share the spotlight with anyone. There were times when we couldn’t even shoot scenes with certain members of the Fab Five together because it got so bad.” 

Ugh, a toxic narcissist - and the show clearly rewarded him for that behavor by awarding him the most camera time instead of curtailing it in favor of the others.

• Like 1

Taking pains to reinforce that the hero interactions are legit and meaningful, eh? 

Jeremiah will get a lot more screen time than Bobby did. Wonder whose time he’ll be claiming? 😉

• Like 1