Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E10: Wayward Sisters

• Start Topic

8 minutes ago, Commando Cody said:

Is that going to happen? Because they should probably just cancel the show now. 

If Dabb is Exec Producer of both shows Buck/Lemming will most likely take over SPN.  They are already the head writers so that would be the natural progression.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Commando Cody said:

Berens will run Wayward(it's his baby),  Dabb will stay show runner at mothership almost certainly.

1 hour ago, Commando Cody said:

I'd be surprised.  To be blunt, it's too much work.  They are taken around and fetted in interviews but they don't do the day-to-day grind.  I imagine it was going to be Yockey but instead they'll go to Perez who has been titled "executive story editor" for the last 20 episodes.  

21 minutes ago, SueB said:

I'd be surprised.  To be blunt, it's too much work.  They are taken around and fetted in interviews but they don't do the day-to-day grind.  I imagine it was going to be Yockey but instead they'll go to Perez who has been titled "executive story editor" for the last 20 episodes.  

I'd rather have anyone but Perez, even the dreaded Duo. He is my least favorite writer on the show by a country mile. And he has already had too much interaction with fans, only responding to those who kiss his butt. No thank you.

• Love 6
(edited)
Guess it's all moot now. I'm surprised. 

I'm sorry for the actors, but i can't say I'm sorry for Dabb. Maybe he can focus on his actual job on Supernatural now. #sorrynotsorry for that.

ETA I am genuinely sorry for the fans who wanted this. 

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Love 9

I'm not that surprised, as the real heart of the fanbase of Supernatural has always been Sam and Dean, Jensen and Jared. And Misha/Cas also has many devoted fans, of course. While Wayward Sisters didn't have the backlash that I saw against Bloodlines, I don't think there was ever a big appetite for it. If they'd tried the idea 3-4 years ago, maybe, but a lot of the show's fanbase has ebbed.

I do feel sad for the cast and crew, and I'm sorry I won't get to see more of Jodie, or of the wonderful Kim Rhodes, which was my main reason to watch.

At least they can say they tried. And considering some of the trash the CW is peddling, like Riverdale, I'm glad I won't have to watch any more of this channel than I already do.

• Love 1

I wonder if they will pursue the Kaia story on the Mothership. I'm sure Donna and Jody will be back and I don't see how they can do that and fail to mention the girls. It will be interesting to see what happens.

I think they went in the wrong direction, if they had made the show about Jody and Donna, it might have had a chance. Instead they made it all about a whiny teenager. Also, I thought that the cast was too crowded. They were trying to cushion it with people the viewing audience didn't know. I don't know why they keep doing these back-door pilots. If they want to have a spin-off, they should just try for a spin-off. 

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, Commando Cody said:

I think they went in the wrong direction, if they had made the show about Jody and Donna, it might have had a chance. Instead they made it all about a whiny teenager. Also, I thought that the cast was too crowded. They were trying to cushion it with people the viewing audience didn't know. I don't know why they keep doing these back-door pilots. If they want to have a spin-off, they should just try for a spin-off. 

I personally agree with you. Sadly, I think with the CW the opposite might be true. Too many 'old' people, not enough teen romangst.

• Love 7
55 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I wonder if they will pursue the Kaia story on the Mothership. I'm sure Donna and Jody will be back and I don't see how they can do that and fail to mention the girls. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Also the open rift that was left in Sioux Falls.  I wonder if that is going to be explained.

(edited)
1 hour ago, gonzosgirrl said:
Guess it's all moot now. I'm surprised. 

I'm sorry for the actors, but i can't say I'm sorry for Dabb. Maybe he can focus on his actual job on Supernatural now. #sorrynotsorry for that.

ETA I am genuinely sorry for the fans who wanted this. 

Yeah, it's such a weird feeling. The fans wanted this, and they deserve nice things. And words can't express how much I adore Kim and Bri, so I ache for them. At the same time, it was clear the show would be shit, and the people I care about would be plot pawns in an AU Riverdale, so I'm grateful not to have to suffer through what would doubtless be quite the disaster. I think we've all been spared here, even if thousands of fans don't feel that way.

Edited by sarthaz
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I wonder if they will pursue the Kaia story on the Mothership.

WCW Saturday Night hasn't been around in a long time, so I don't think they'll wrap up the Kaia story on the Mothership.

Sorry, had to do it.

I do feel bad for the actors, but I can't say that I'm going to miss watching the show.  And as gonzosgirrl pointed out, maybe they can now shift their focus back to the main show and start writing some better episodes.  And if the boys want time off, which we know they do, then by all means use that cast more frequently.  I love Jody and Donna, and I even enjoy Claire's relationship with the boys, so I'd be more than happy to see more of them.  

I really do wonder what turned them off on the show, though.  It certainly was no worse than most of what's currently on the CW.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, catrox14 said:

I think they made the mistake of making it  too Claire centric. I wonder if it could be picked up by CW seed. It its just a dead duck now.

Unfortunately KN was the ''A" lister.  If she wasn't the star I don't think she would have done the series.  Dabb, Singer and Berens for some reason thought she was a fan favorite.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

Dabb, Singer and Berens for some reason thought she was a fan favorite.

Apparently, from what I heard, she is very popular on Tumblr. Did I get that right? Tumblr? I don't think they looked anywhere else. If they had, they may found that she's very polarizing. 

• Love 1

I'm seriously bummed.  I wanted that show and the stories they had to tell.  I hope the Mothership picks up the characters.  They are all worthwhile IMO. I will admit I thought Claire was the least watchable but I had hoped that Berens would buff off those issues over time.  

I am surprised.  I hope we hear more about the "why".  I just feel cheated out of good storytelling. 

• Love 3

I'm so very glad the show didn't get the go ahead. 

I cannot stand that Claire character and I hope they don't even bring her back to the show.  

I'm embarrassed for fans of the show since a segment of  "fandom" demanded the show be picked up and are now sort of threatening the CW.   I think the people that demanded the show are a small segment of fandom. Like the squeaky wheel gets the grease and all that. (Sort of like why Cas continues to be on the show. He has a loud but probably small segment of fans). 

i wonder if the J's  had anything to do with the CW's decision. 

(edited)

And here I thought I was gonna be rid of Berens. Daaaamn. 

Damn, I'm kind of bummed about this. Would have much preferred WS to a dumb Roswell or Charmed reboot.

Those pick-ups were no-brainers for the network. They had much Pilot buzz. No way would Wayward have gotten the nod over them.

IMO it was down to Wayward and the Legacies spin-off from Originals. Now that pick-up truly surprised me. I thought it was a dim possibility at best. Seeing as things are pretty equal between those, with slight favour to Wayward, I believe it came down to showrunner clout. Julie Plec has easily more pull at the CW than Dabb or Berens, despite her misfirings. 

The network would love to have a spin-off to SPN and they would greenlight one immediately if the likes of Berlanti or Plec pitched one to them. Yup, not happening but theoretically. SPN seems to run itself, no matter who is technically in charge so ironically, beyond Kripke as the creator, it doesn`t build up your name as a showrunner as other properties do. 

Edited by Aeryn13
  • Love 3

CW are dumbasses. They knew what they signed up for when they ordered the backdoor pilot, it gets good reception and traction considering the context (of course not everyone was going to love a spinoff with Claire), but nope, let's pass on that.

In the end we wasted three episodes on season 13, Kaia which was the best thing about WS can't come back on SPN and a bunch of people end up extremely disappointed. Thanks for nothing, assholes.

That awful The Originals spinoff though, that's a swell idea, with the extremely mediocre ratings the main show has been pulling for the last couple of years, I'm sure that'll do great !

• Love 2
(edited)

That awful The Originals spinoff though, that's a swell idea, with the extremely mediocre ratings the main show has been pulling 

To be fair, right now it is pulling the Friday equivalent to what SPN is currently getting in terms of ratings. So those things were roughly even. And the character has gotte good responses so far.

I`m still very surprised by the series order but not completely shocked. Back when Dabb first tried the Bloodlines Pilot, the network went with the Originals spin-off (in theme very similar) as well. And while she didn`t have showrunning duties on TO until now she was the creator, so far the network has given Plec pick-ups on The Tomorrow People, The Originals, Containment and now Legacies. 

They have given Dabb exactly zero on two tries. 

She has way more clout than he does. 

And Kathryn Newton`s career seems to be taken off right now. It`s quite possible she would have had reduced presence and the network didn`t want to go through with that. 

I think Wayward had a honest shot at being picked up but there were several factors combining against it.  

Overall, I think this year`s CW series orders are more sensible than last year`s. Valor? Never gonna fly on a network like this. But apparently a passion project for Pedowitz. 

I could even see the network postponing the Wayward idea and giving it another shot next Season but then actor availability would be even more iffy.   

Edited by Aeryn13
12 minutes ago, Commando Cody said:

It seems to me, that KN isn't a big enough star to turn down a starring role in a TV show. Unless her goals are different and she just doesn't want to be in Supernatural anymore. She might not want to be pigeonholed as the sulky teenager.  Starring in a spin-off from a successful TV show is the dream that few achieve. It would probably give her career a boost. 

The network may have numbers that say that Wayward Sisters was popular with a few rabid fans, who make a lot of noise to look like a lot of rabid fans.  I'm sure the networks take social media into account, but they can't base a TV show on who is getting the most attention on one website. 

KN has started to get some notice in movies, and I'd guess she was advised to pursue that instead of locking herself into television (PBS is more of a gateway to movies than a "normal" TV show).  It's very rare for someone, even with a starring role in TV, to go on to star in big-budget movies (Tom Hanks is the only one I can think of who was entirely successful at it, and many more crashed and burned or just did a few movies and then returned to TV).

About the popularity of WS...I'm guessing that the CW was hoping for total enthusiasm from the fans, and one or two sites just weren't enough.  Even here, fans were pretty evenly divided between those who were eager to see it, those who "might" watch but weren't particularly excited, those who thought it was a good idea but weren't interested in watching, and those who didn't like the idea at all.  That's not good odds, especially among the audience they were hoping would be "built in."  

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Aeryn13 said:

To be fair, right now it is pulling the Friday equivalent to what SPN is currently getting in terms of ratings. So those things were roughly even. And the character has gotte good responses so far.

It's pulling 0.3-0.4 in the demo what, four episodes in ? And for it's announced last season.

The spring slump may have been hard on SPN mostly because of pre-emptions, but it is miles above that in normal circumstances. TO is not a viable platform to launch a spinoff.

I have no doubt Hope is a cool character (I'm yet to start season 5), but they're just throwing Plec a bone and she's trying to go full circle by getting a new TVD. And I don't know about you, but I started TO and came to love it specifically because it was an adult take on the vampire genre, not a teen drama. And I really don't think I'm the only one.

The new CW shows all look like crap to me. And I used to be a fierce defender of the network not too long ago (back when Arrow was still good). Thank God for iZombie and The 100.

Edited by BoxManLocke

Yes, but  TO is on Fridays. There is this weird equation where softer numbers are allowed on Friday compared to other weekdays. So a 0.4 there is like a 0.6 on other days. Grimm for example never pulled in big numbers for NBC but the network loved it as a Friday performer. 

Like you, I do like the "adultishness" of the show but am interested enough in the spin-off of the spin-off.  :)  

I do like the CW for giving little genre shows a chance that would not be picked up or immediately cancelled on other networks. Will probably give the reboots a spin through Charmed might be annoying for being too in-your-face "we`re so woke, we swear" and Roswell, well, it goes more with the books but upgrades the characters to adults so completely different than the original. 

And undoubtedly, SPN will try to get another spin-off going next Season. They might even retool the idea of Wayward a bit. The backdoor Pilot obviously centered on Claire and she was gonna be the star of the show. If they can`t have KN, they might want to put someone else in the spotlight.   

Unfortunately, that is something I can`t see for the CW. There was a reason they tried to populate the show with teenagers.

Some CW shows do have non-teenager casts but still the main characters do not exceed a certain age bracket (unless they are supernatural creatures of course) and even them men are allowed to be significantly older. Supporting characters are the only ones allowed to be a bit more on the mature side for the network. 

I think initially they might have kicked around the idea of a Jodi/Donna-based spin-off but knew the network wanted something more like "Claire and friends". 

They might think something along "the adventures of Jack" next. He could go dimension-hopping and be your cute friendly neighbourhood nephilim. You could have first kisses, first sex and all that jazz. The network would probably be overjoyed at such a pitch. 

Perhaps @Morrigan2575 would know better but I'm pretty sure when you sign for a Pilot, they have a 5 or 7 year contract they have you sign as well.  And Kim Rhodes indicated that ALL the women had signed "lead" contracts.  Perhaps KN's manager (who clearely kicks ass at getting KN in show biz-buzz projects) negotiated some "off time", but I'd be surprised if they filmed a Pilot with her without her lead contract firmly in place.

As for fan support,  Wayward kicked ass on the Neilson relevant Social Media scale and the ratings were good.  The "actually paid to write" critics were very very positive.  Its possible they look at other websites but that's just random data points.  They had more than enough indication of a CW-sufficient fandom.

Which leaves me with production cost.  We've know for YEARS that Supernatural doesn't get sufficient money from the CW to pay it's $2M/episode cost.  Think about it, advertising is at $33,287 for a 30 sec spot*.  I imagine it's possibly discounted if you buy a full minute, but presuming it's not, Supernatural generates $1,198,392 for the CW.  And I suspect that $2M may be a bit rounded down.  Which puts the WB in the position of bringing probably at least $800K to EVERY EPISODE.  That's $18.4M every season.  So, do they get $20M in Netflix, DVD/BluRay, iTunes?  My guess is you bet for the Mothership.

But what are Wayward Sister's prospects?  It usually takes a bit to build a following and for those monies to come in.  And now let's factor in the International Sales?  Sadly, while Wonder Woman kicked ass in the US but did not have the same ratio of International Sales/Domestic Sales (usually International dominates).  With MORE movies, series, etc... this may change, but that international market may still be soft for female-led shows.  IMO, at the end of the day, it's the accountants and sales forecasters who probably drove this decision.  If, like most cost estimators, they use models for predictions, then I would be surprised if those models those models weren't skewed towards less income for female-led action shows.  It's hard to make reliable cost estimates, and "history" is the safest too they have.  

Which comes back to the "deal".  What was Warner Brothers prepared to subsize for the series?  What was the CW willing to pay?

Bottom Line: If the math didn't wor for both parties, it wouldn't get picked up.  I suspect that CW chose MORE shows at lesser costs than putting Wayward into the lineup and having to drop not just one but possibly two more cheaply produced shows.  CW's focus this year was to add MORE content.  Bad timing for Wayward IMO. 

*Nov 17 Ad Prices per Variety

• Love 2

It might have come down to that the CW simply thought that the pilot was terrible. 

Although, you can't put a lot of stock into pilots. I watched the pilot to Elementary and I thought it was terrible. I deleted it from my dvr after that. People who watched the show told me that the pilot was terrible, but it got better. I did end up watching the series. It was still kind of mixed for me. 

Community had a terrible pilot as well. I hung in with that one. It was worth it just for the first Christmas episode - which I watched numerous times. Community was one of my favorite shows. 

I personally thought the wayward sisters pilot was terrible. If it had made it to a series, maybe they would have worked out some of the stupid stuff. 

33 minutes ago, Aeryn13 said:

Yes, but  TO is on Fridays. There is this weird equation where softer numbers are allowed on Friday compared to other weekdays. So a 0.4 there is like a 0.6 on other days. Grimm for example never pulled in big numbers for NBC but the network loved it as a Friday performer. 

Like you, I do like the "adultishness" of the show but am interested enough in the spin-off of the spin-off.  :)  

I do like the CW for giving little genre shows a chance that would not be picked up or immediately cancelled on other networks. Will probably give the reboots a spin through Charmed might be annoying for being too in-your-face "we`re so woke, we swear" and Roswell, well, it goes more with the books but upgrades the characters to adults so completely different than the original. 

And undoubtedly, SPN will try to get another spin-off going next Season. They might even retool the idea of Wayward a bit. The backdoor Pilot obviously centered on Claire and she was gonna be the star of the show. If they can`t have KN, they might want to put someone else in the spotlight.   

Yes, TO is pulling good numbers for fridays, but this isn't a Supernatural season 7 situation where there's all this untapped potential and you could increase the ratings by putting TO on another day. As TO's numbers go, what you see is what you get, no matter the context.

I was singling TO out, but as far as I'm concerned, outside of SPN and The Flash, there isn't a single show on the CW that pulls good enough numbers to try a spinoff.

Considering four years passed between Bloodlines and WS, I'm really not as confident as you are when talking about an attempt next season. I wouldn't be surprised if the CW calls it quits after two failed attempts. Besides they don't seem to know wtf they want so they'd probably pass on a third spinoff.

• Love 1

Considering four years passed between Bloodlines and WS, I'm really not as confident as you are when talking about an attempt next season. I wouldn't be surprised if the CW calls it quits after two failed attempts. Besides they don't seem to know wtf they want so they'd probably pass on a third spinoff.

Unless all the new shows are taking off like gangbusters, I believe the network is very interested to have a spin-off that at first runs concurently with SPN (at least one or two Seasons) and then takes over the slot (metaphorically speaking). And the window of opportunity for that is shrinking because SPN won`t run another 10 Seasons. 

They just need to find the right pitch. Bloodline really was nothing like the mothership - and too much like Originals which came with build-in fanbases for these characters. Wayward could have worked, just had bad timing this year. 

SPN is a difficult show to spin-off anyway. You can`t easily recreate the template like NCIS or Star Trek (same formula, different setting, different cast). Other than Cas you don`t have a big enough supporting character to spin-off. It needs to be something that keeps the vibe familiar but isn`t a total clone. And then you need to overcome the problem that a lot of SPN`s longevity is build on its two core characters and their performers.

Wayward came closest to it all. Maybe they will pitch a new combined Jack-and-Wayward spin-off next Season, with Jack in place of Claire. You could have a (tragic) romance or will they won`t they with one of the girls, heck, you could have what so many audience members love (sarcasm): a love triangle. 

3 hours ago, Aeryn13 said:

Huh? The Originals airs on Wednesdays and it's pulling less than SPN. Granted 0.4 seems to be a good rating for The CW (Arrow, LoT, Riverdale, The Originals).

I just dont grasp your Friday comment, since The Originals isn't airing on Fridays this season, which means there's no offset. 

Ah, you`re right, it`s got a Wednesday slot. I must still be living in the past (Season). :)  Still decent numbers for the CW. If it wasn`t the final Season already, it probably would have nabbed a renewal. 

SPN is the way more dependable performer of course but that is the mothership. I don`t believe female-led was the problem, otherwise they wouldn`t have gone so heavily after Charmed and promoted the hell out of how feminist this reboot is gonna be compared to the original. I`m a woman and I found that overkill.  

22 hours ago, Commando Cody said:

Agreed. I wasn't that interested in the younger cast including Claire (those long curls were ridiculous in this universe). But I love Jodi & Donna and was really looking forward to seeing more of them. Hopefully they will still make the occasional appearance on SPN. 

• Love 1

Aww, this sucks. My wife and I were REALLY looking forward to this show! I loved all the characters and thought it could be great; much better than that crappy "Bloodlines" backdoor pilot.

• Love 2

Well, that's too bad for the cast and the fans who worked so hard on getting this going, but I'm not surprised it didn't get picked up. Pedowitz was nothing short of lukewarm when he talked about Wayard. Plus, I'm of the belief that fandom wouldn't have supported the show long-term. I agree with @Aeryn13, Supernatural is just a hard show to spin off and I personally wish they'd just let it go and stop trying. Sometimes a good thing is just a good thing and trying to make a copy of it just doesn't work.

• Love 3

I think they'll have better luck doing a reboot of SPN than a spin-off.  Once Jensen and Jared hang it up, then the network could start over with two new young faces and the hopes that they'll find that magic in a bottle again.  As long as Jensen and Jared are onboard for SPN, I don't see a spin-off working.  While other characters on the show are certainly popular, I firmly believe most people watch for the brothers.

• Love 3

I think they'll have better luck doing a reboot of SPN than a spin-off. 

But there would need to be a good few years between the show ending and a possible reboot. 

1 hour ago, Aeryn13 said:

But there would need to be a good few years between the show ending and a possible reboot. 

I agree, but I think their chances would be better of having a success.  And it might only take a year or two with no SPN for people to welcome back a new cast.  

(edited)
2 hours ago, MysteryGuest said:

I think they'll have better luck doing a reboot of SPN than a spin-off.  Once Jensen and Jared hang it up, then the network could start over with two new young faces and the hopes that they'll find that magic in a bottle again.  As long as Jensen and Jared are onboard for SPN, I don't see a spin-off working.  While other characters on the show are certainly popular, I firmly believe most people watch for the brothers.

I would hate this so much.  I want SPN to be iconic with Jensen, Jared and Misha finishing out their stories.  Wrap it up with a fantastic ending and let it be. 

If Dabb etc want to make a new show with younger faces then do it but call it something else.  I want Supernatural to maintain it's uniqueness.  X Files has the same issue.  It was always about Mulder and Scully, and Skinner.  That's why it didn't do that well with Robert Patrick and Annabeth Gish.  They aren't David and Gillian. 

42 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Seriously though, what else is she going to say? "They thought Claire was annoying AF and Kim and I are too old to lead a CW show."?

Do you mean the CW thinks Kim and Brianna are too old?

I also wonder if Kathryn Newton was the problem here. That maybe her agent was pushing for her to be the lead but Claire was way more divisive than some want to believe?

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 4

Genuinely sorry for the cast and fans who were looking forward to WS — I was ambivalent, since I liked the dynamic of Jody and Donna but found Claire grating as a main character, but I feel for those who really wanted a series pickup. Hopefully we’ll see more of these characters and their stories in Supernatural.

11 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

It is kind of the CWs M.O., but I was using a bit of hyperbole regarding Briana's comment. Of course she's going to say it was a financial/power decision and not about the content.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

They might be too old for the CW demographic. They would probably work on almost any other channel. It's probably why they turned it into the Claire program. Along with readings from her diary(ah).

(edited)

To headline a show on the CW? Yes. That might sound mean but the network is basically known as the "young people network". 

And yes, some male performers are older than twens or even mid-thirty, like Jensen or Daniel Gillies or previously Ian Somerhalder but those actors, respectively their characters, still could bring in fans from the younger demographics. SPN is skewing older but you still see ample twitter pics with teenage girls who met "the boys" somewhere and squee. 

Supporting characters, okay, but headliners - they skew younger.  

That`s the entire shtick on how the CW differentiates from the other networks. They are not going to change that. Even the old WB was the same.

I agree, but I think their chances would be better of having a success.  And it might only take a year or two with no SPN for people to welcome back a new cast.  

Two years is way too short IMO. At least 5, better 10-15. 

Edited by Aeryn13
  • Love 1