Type keyword(s) to search

Continuity, Nitpicks, Unanswered Questions and Timeline Headaches: When Did That Honeycrisp Apple Come From

• Start Topic

No, Tinkerbell was in Storybrooke in 3B. She was taken with the second curse. Everyone who went the first time was taken including those select few from other lands like Whale and then those in the curse's path including those previously protected by the Coradome like Robin & the Merry Men came too.

Oh right. That's what happens when I try to forget about season 3b. I suppose the answer could be because magic that's why. But it could still be that the caster(s) bring who they want, hence why Mulan and others aren't there. It doesn't explain why Snow wanted to bring Monkey-Philip and Aurora unless they wanted to help them. But they brought Robin and the merry men to help in the battle.

From the interview with the actress who plays Cruella de Vil:

Helga [ungurait, one of the show's producers, who is on set] is literally 'Once Upon a Time' Google. She's incredible. She knows everything about everybody's relationship and all the characters, way back to the pilot, because you get a script through and if you haven't watched all of them or read all of them, you get to go, 'Helga! Helga! How did this character relate to this character, and how do they know this about that?' And she would be able to just -- out of her Google mind -- talk you through something from three series ago because she's pretty extraordinary.

So is this Helga person the closest they have to a continuity person?  Or is the actress just overstating the case, since she's new and someone was able to give her some info on what has happened in the past?  

From the interview with the actress who plays Cruella de Vil:

So is this Helga person the closest they have to a continuity person?  Or is the actress just overstating the case, since she's new and someone was able to give her some info on what has happened in the past?  

Think it's not that hard to keep track on the relationships on OUaT, they are rather flat and simple. It's not even hard to keep track who is related to who in what way, it's just crazy to tell it. Don't need a Google mind for that IMHO, particular not if the show is your daily bread and butter.

• Love 1
(edited)

So how, with this deep dark secret that makes them EVILER THAN EVIL, were Snowing able to get through Glinda's "pure of heart" door?

Magic? Aka writers' handwave. We're just not writer and smart enough to understand the logic of it all and let go of such pesky, circumstantial details.

Edited by katusch

So how, with this deep dark secret that makes them EVILER THAN EVIL, were Snowing able to get through Glinda's "pure of heart" door?

She forgave herself? Regina I Regret Nothing Imma Gonna Punch Pan's Heart From His Chest couldn't also go through the door because she didn't have Henry to make it worthwhile and lost hope of getting to him, meaning that she almost had to do some thinking about what her Dark Curse was worth.

Apparently, Baby Snowflake doesn't have the problem of being a child of True Love and having the potential for great darkness. Or maybe the door just isn't as discerning as the tree. Oh I know, Emma being bad is a red herring and it's really Snowflake we all need to watch out for. Season 5 Snowflake = Damien

• Love 1

Just a random thought I had: Do they actually have last names in the Enchanted Forest? The only character from that world I can think of who actually seems to have a conventional last name is Killian Jones. Are "Hood" and "Scarlet" real last names or descriptors of the sort that would have gone on to become last names? In the Robin Hood stories, he's actually Robin of Locksley, but he gets called "hood" because of his attire. I don't know the origin for Will's name, but he's often shown as wearing red. Then there's the way people call Rumpelstiltskin "Rumple," but is that because his name is Rumple and his last name is Stiltskin, or is it just a nickname, like shortening "William" to "Will" or "Robert" to "Bob"?

At any rate, I just found that kind of odd. Do the Jones brothers come from a place where they have different naming conventions? Did people in different parts of the world ask Killian why he had two names? Or do we just not know the last names of the other characters?

(edited)

I'm pretty sure everyone's last name is Stupid, Dumb or Idiot.

Seriously speaking though...

I don't know the origin for Will's name, but he's often shown as wearing red.

That's probably because he was the Knave of Hearts.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1
That's probably because he was the Knave of Hearts.

I meant the character Will Scarlet in the Robin Hood mythology, but I guess it was rather clever to make him also be the Knave of Hearts. That's one of the fairy tale crossovers that's worked pretty well.

But which came first for the character in the Robin Hood stories, the name or the attire? Are they being too literal in the depiction, based on his name, or was he named after his clothes?

More retconning in tonight's episode:

In season 2 we had this:

Mulan: How did you end up here in your cursed state?
Princess Aurora: You're not the only one who knows about sacrifice.

And in 1.21 Regina said the curse had to be taken willingly. But tonight Aurora was forced into it.

Would it have been so hard to make Aurora choose to take the curse in exchange of her parents/Phillip's safety like Snow did? SMH.

• Love 6

So Aurora had been asleep even before Snow was kicked out of the castle, and up until after the Dark Curse broke and Emma and Mary Margaret were sucked into the hat portal? So Mulan and Philip had been searching for her for 30+ years? Was she supposed to be still in her bedroom in a crumbled castle or was she moved? Either way, 30 years to get to her? I know time stood still in the EF for those 28 years, but it's not like people were frozen in place.

Phillip didn't wake Aurora until right before Emma and Mary Margaret came through the portal, so why did Regina taunt Maleficent that "some princess" got the best of her when she went to get the Dark Curse back? Even if Regina was referring to Briar Rose, Aurora was still asleep, so Mal should still have had her "victory".

I'm so confused.

I think Regina was referring to Briar Rose, since that was Mal's first loss.  But you're right... she still had partial victory with Aurora, though now we know, not without Amazing Villain Regina's help.

In 2x01 Aurora told Philip something along the lines of "I told you not to come after me!" which absolutely does not fit here. 

More retconning in tonight's episode:

In season 2 we had this:

Mulan: How did you end up here in your cursed state?
Princess Aurora: You're not the only one who knows about sacrifice.

And in 1.21 Regina said the curse had to be taken willingly. But tonight Aurora was forced into it.

Would it have been so hard to make Aurora choose to take the curse in exchange of her parents/Phillip's safety like Snow did? SMH.

Maybe they could have made Maleficent depressed in "Enter the Dragon" because she wasn't able to find Aurora for 18 years, after she had cursed her as a baby.  The Fairies could have hidden her in the woods.  At least this would have fit with the mythology of Sleeping Beauty a bit better.  

They could also have shown scenes with Aurora telling Philip about the threat from Maleficent and making him promise not to come after her.  They could also have used King Stefan and the Queen more, as they anticipated/worried about Aurora's upcoming birthday.  Then they could still have had Regina sweeping in and getting Maleficent's groove back, and maybe even help Maleficent to find Aurora in the forest.  

It would have been more "fun" if Regina was beginning to be The Evil Queen and she helps Maleficent to get something from her.  Meanwhile, Maleficent teaches her how to make a grand entrance and be all showy.  Regina would have learned how Maleficent psychologically tortured the King and Queen for 18 years without killing anyone, and how satisfying that was.  For the viewers, there would have been some genuine emotion for us seeing the King and Queen, Aurora and Philip getting their lives destroyed.  

And what about Aurora, Philip or King Stefan & Queen in the present-day?  So Maleficent was depressed not caring about revenge anymore, and then suddenly, she was all about revenge again, and now, she's so focused on the horrible Snow and Charming, that she doesn't care about the Briar Roses anymore?  I would have loved to see their reactions to finding out Maleficent was back.  

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1
And what about Aurora, Philip or King Stefan & Queen in the present-day?  So Maleficent was depressed not caring about revenge anymore, and then suddenly, she was all about revenge again, and now, she's so focused on the horrible Snow and Charming, that she doesn't care about the Briar Roses anymore?

And we are supposed to feel sorry for Mal because Snow was so EVIL that she did something to Mal's baby (what has not been revealed), but Mal cursed a woman and when that failed, she cursed that woman's child for 30 years and turned her future SIL into a hunted beast? Sounds like Snow delivered some karmic payback to me.

Strangely, I seem to be expected to cheer Mal and boo Snow, but I'm all picky nits and kind of feeling the opposite.

It just feels like it is a continuity error that very similar acts are protrayed as being kind of cool if the villains do it, but unforigivably evil if done by a hero. Heck, when villains do bad, it seems that the worse crime is to remind them of their evil deeds than it was for them to do it.

Edited by kili
  • Love 5

And we are supposed to feel sorry for Mal because Snow was so EVIL that she did something to Mal's baby (what has not been revealed), but Mal cursed a woman and when that failed, she cursed that woman's child for 30 years and turned her future SIL into a hunted beast? Sounds like Snow delivered some karmic payback to me.

Exactly! And we are supposed to feel sorry for whiny Regina in the present when they show us a flashback of whiny Regina being petty over young Snow's medals. I mean, what?? They're scraping the bottom of the barrel with Regina or Snowing flashbacks these days. Each flashback adds to the continuity problems.  

Edited by Rumsy4
  • Love 2

Found this:

http://themattress.tumblr.com/image/113810243184

It seems to me that the timeline is pretty solid when it comes to the ORDER of events, so they're definitely keeping continuity tabs there. The problem is that nobody is keeping continuity tabs for the events themselves; what was said, what was done, etc. So that's why there is constant accidental retconning and misremembering, such as the recent fiasco of showing Aurora being cursed in a completely different way than was said in "Broken".

Adam admitted on Twitter that they messed up with Cinderella's baby:

The baby should've been Alexandra.  And going forward we intend to make it Alexandra.

yes, we got the wrong aged baby and wrong sex.  It was a mistake, baby shoulda been around 1 1/2

That's admirable to own up to a mistake.  His explanation: 

There was a miscommunication between production and writers.

I'm glad he's responding to that guy, who's asking actual questions we want answers to.

Not sure what Adam is saying with his answer to this one:

Kyle Gillespie ‏@Magnusxxn  8 hours ago
@AdamHorowitzLA @rapid_rar and magic. Trains that shouldn't be there, magic working in and out of town cuz of magic pockets, inconsistency

Adam Horowitz ‏@AdamHorowitzLA
@Magnusxxn @rapid_rar sometmes answers are readily apparent, sometimes they come later.sometimes we think we're explaining and its not clear

Edited by Camera One

"Moving forward, it will be Alexandra". Sounds like this definitely means more Cinderella to come. Given the recent movie's success, that's no surprise. If this means we get Anastasia (the Red Queen) on the show and thus giving Will Scarlet some purpose for being here, I'm all for it!

that was a mistake and I'll cop to it. There was a miscommunication between production and writers

I'm sorry, but that's not a good enough excuse. While I'm glad Adam can own up to his mistakes, he's kind of throwing his own production team under the bus for "miscommunicating," even though he himself is an executive producer. Many of us on this board have assumed the show doesn't have enough people designated for keeping track of continuity details, and this kind of proves it. I know there's that one person (is her name Helga?) who has been described as a walking Once Upon a Time Google search for the actors, but is that it? Maybe it's just because I'm super OCD about my own creative projects where I know every minute detail that goes into my work, but shouldn't it be the job of the writers to know that detail as well, not just production? How does a writing team of approximately 8 people all miss details so often where it has now become a running joke that something gets retconned every other episode?

Edited by Curio
  • Love 4

I had a good laugh at Adam's "I don't have the timeline in front of me" regarding how old Cinderella's child would actually be.  Maybe that's because it doesn't exist?

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 3

I had a good laugh at Adam's "I don't have the timeline in front of me" regarding how old Cinderella's child would actually be.  Maybe that's because it doesn't exist?

Or it's a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey stuff?

Emphasis on the "stuff".

• Love 1

@Magnusxxn @rapid_rar sometmes answers are readily apparent, sometimes they come later.sometimes we think we're explaining and its not clear

Eh? So is he saying that we will get an explanation for the train one day? Okay, FT trains....Polar Express or the "I Think I Can" Train? And what world did that come from?

They should have had the "bad girls" drive over a cliff Thelma and Louise style. Storybrooke's deep canyons are well documented. Same perilous situation - less need for retcon.

I didn't have a problem with the train because I figure it's like the road. If you don't have the magic to see the town, it just looks like a road through the woods and presumably people drive down that road without realizing there's anything odd going on. A train could work the same way, where the train just passes through.

The trick is whether it exists in the same plane. Would it have hit the car or just gone through it? Because the people on the train surely would have had to have seen/felt/noticed something if the train hit a car, and would that require them to see the car?

And if the Storybrooke people can see the train, does that mean they see the people driving through town who don't see them? Or is the road out of town some other road that maybe does a loop or bypass and isn't also the town's main street?

• Love 4

Continuity question: Was there ever anything established to indicate that it was safe to cross the town line prior to Ingrid somehow re-cursing it? The whole idea of Ingrid cursing the town line seems like such an unnecessary thing since the town line had the memory wipe built into it (that would presumably still be in effect after Regina broke Zelena's memory spell) and Rumple's shielding magic.

Was there ever anything established to indicate that it was safe to cross the town line prior to Ingrid somehow re-cursing it?

No, because the Winged Monkeys apparently captured anyone who got anywhere close to the Town Line.  And then, within a day or so, Elsa put up the Ice Wall.  Rumple, Marion, Robin, etc. didn't lose their memories when they left Storybrooke, so I assume Snow's Curse did not have Memory Wipe included, because there were no Cursed Personalities included either.  But there should have been some sort of fear about what would happen when Marion and Robin walked through, since no one had tried it under the New Snow Curse.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1

I found it odd that Hook needed to get Squid Ink from Poseidon to defeat the Dark One, and that it was apparently the only chance for him to get his revenge (eye roll). How was paralyzing Rumple going to destroy him, unless Hook found the Dagger and stabbed him with it while he was paralyzed? Apparently, one could trap squids and harvest their ink (as Neal did in Neverland). Don't tell me pirates don't know how to fish. And if Rumple and Blue Boobs had Squid Ink lying around, Poseidon's supply can't have been the last of the lot. The writers need to stop overstating things. The Last Bean. The Last Enchanted Wood. There are no more portals. No one can ever come back. It's all pretty much a joke. No threat or obstacle is serious enough to make the viewer anxious, and it makes the characters look like idiots. lol 

• Love 2
Apparently, one could trap squids and harvest their ink (as Neal did in Neverland

I wonder if Neal got that information from Hook? It is interesting that they were both in Neverland and were both in possession of that information at one point. It seems that Hook quickly forgot that factoid or he would have been squid inking Pan every chance he got. Maybe the squids aren't so easy to harvest. Didn't Rumple have to help with the Squid?

How was paralyzing Rumple going to destroy him, unless Hook found the Dagger and stabbed him with it while he was paralyzed?

Didn't it also neutralize their ability to do magic? If they are neutralized, they can't heal themselves after getting stabbed. I still don't know why Neal didn't get some more squid ink. Always helpful to have around when battling Pan for the life of your child.  Another plot point that just fell off the back of the truck.

It is kind of nice they remembered the ink for this plot though.

Edited by kili

I found it odd that Hook needed to get Squid Ink from Poseidon to defeat the Dark One, and that it was apparently the only chance for him to get his revenge (eye roll).

I find it odd that the Dark One can be felled by a hamburger that McDonald's sold in Hong Kong (The black burger, bun made with squid ink).  Had I known this when writing a one shot about Hook's feelings towards McDonaldland, I would have totally put that in.

Frankly, I'm quite disappointed in August for not bringing a happy meal back with him to take out Rumpel.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 3

That was the first Dark Curse. So, people who crossed over could still come back as long as they knew where Storybrooke was. Emma merely stepped across the Town Line with Panry. Emma didn't have a cursed personality, so she wouldn't forget who she was once she crossed over. Besides, Rumple removed the cloaking spell when they all returned from Neverland on the Jolly Roger. The spell Ingrid cast was a barrier spell (which also cloaks the town I presume). That's why people who leave can't reenter (unless apparently, they have Ingrid's Scroll). They also don't lose their identities because the second Curse did not grant cursed personas to the people. Too many Dark Curses to keep track of...

Edited by Rumsy4

Nitpick, why was Colin spinning the ship's wheel towards starboard when the ship was turning to port?  Must have lost something in translation when the footage went to the special effects department. 

• Love 1

Nitpick, why was Colin spinning the ship's wheel towards starboard when the ship was turning to port?

I noticed that too, and it really bugged me. I wonder if the CGI was done before they filmed the scene, and then no one thought to tell Colin which way to turn the wheel.

• Love 1

Besides, Rumple removed the cloaking spell when they all returned from Neverland on the Jolly Roger.

I don't remember this.

The spell Ingrid cast was a barrier spell (which also cloaks the town I presume). That's why people who leave can't reenter (unless apparently, they have Ingrid's Scroll).

This is confusing. So there are cloaking spells, barrier spells, and protection spells? Cloaking merely hides it, but barrier spells keep people from entering at all, and protection spells zap people back when they try to enter? This worldbuilding, though...

This is confusing. So there are cloaking spells, barrier spells, and protection spells? Cloaking merely hides it, but barrier spells keep people from entering at all, and protection spells zap people back when they try to enter? This worldbuilding, though...

I don't know about protection spells, but I do think that cloaking spells and barrier spells are different. The Cloaking Spell existed during the First Curse, and hid Storybrooke from the Real World. People from outside could occasionally enter (like August, Henry and Emma before the Curse broke, and Gregmara, Neal, and the Darlings after the Curse broke). Hook, Rumple, Emma, and Henry could also travel in and out of town. Not sure if the cloaking spell Rumple put on the town when Team Hero left for Neverland would also have prevented people from entering Storybrooke, or only kept them from finding it. Ingrid's spell both cloaks the town, and prevents people from entering it (unless they have her scroll). I probably put more thought into this than the writers did. 

Edited by Rumsy4

I don't think Rumple left town until season two, after the curse broke, and he was only able to do so because of the spell on Bae's shawl that allowed him to retain his memories. Emma and Henry were immune to the curse, so they could come and go with no memory problems, as could Hook, since he wasn't brought by the curse. Belle was brought by the curse but not given a cursed identity, so when she crossed the town line, she was wiped blank until Regina gave her a cursed identity.

I don't think it was ever truly tested whether Emma could have left town before the curse fully broke. The one time she tried, at the very beginning, she had the car wreck, but we don't know for sure if that was the curse. She didn't try again afterward. I'm not sure about whether anyone could enter at that point because only August could. We don't know if anyone else tried.

It seems like the phases of the town status were:

Full-on curse: Time not moving (except for Henry), cursed identities, little free will, no one but Regina and Henry can leave, no one but Regina, Henry, Emma, and someone with the right magic can enter.

Weakened curse (after Emma's arrival): Time moving normally, cursed identities weakening (and in Rumple's case, breaking), free will starting to return (people can make decisions Regina doesn't like), people still can't leave, only August arrived, no magic except for objects that already have magic

Broken curse: Time moving normally, memories and identities restored, people from outside can enter, anyone brought by the curse will lose their real identity for their cursed identity if they leave town, magic works within the town

Barrier spell: No outsider can enter the town

Curse 2: People kept their identities but lost memories of the past year. Outsiders can enter (at least Emma, Henry and Hook), but flying monkeys kept people from leaving town (no idea if anything else would happen)

Post Zelena: missing year memories restored, no idea what happened if people came or went because no one did

Ice wall: No way in or out

Post Ingrid: If you leave, you can't find the town again without the scroll, but apparently anyone with the scroll (or mermaids and other sea creatures coming from other worlds) can enter. You retain your memories and identity when leaving town.

Edited by Shanna Marie

I don't think Rumple left town until season two, after the curse broke, and he was only able to do so because of the spell on Bae's shawl that allowed him to retain his memories. Emma and Henry were immune to the curse, so they could come and go with no memory problems, as could Hook, since he wasn't brought by the curse. Belle was brought by the curse but not given a cursed identity, so when she crossed the town line, she was wiped blank until Regina gave her a cursed identity.

Aren't you conflating two different things here? The identity/memory wipe has nothing to do with cloaking or barrier spells. It came into effect once Rumple had brought magic into Storybrooke. After the first Dark Curse broke, anyone could have left town and reentered (like Sneezy, Belle, Rumple, Emma, Hook, and Henry). However, the people with Cursed Memories would have lost their true identity/original memories. So, there was nothing keeping people from finding and entering Storybrooke until Belle cast the Cloaking Spell over Storybrooke after Team Nevengers left on the Jolly Roger.

Full-on curse: Time not moving (except for Henry), cursed identities, little free will, no one but Regina and Henry can leave, no one but Regina, Henry, Emma, and someone with the right magic can enter.

I think it was a little more fluid than that. Otherwise, I agree. Owen was able to leave Storybrooke, which was probably because he wasn't originally from there. Henry was able to leave and enter Storybrooke even though he was not born there, nor had magic. However, each time Henry entered Storybrooke, he was with either Regina (as a baby) or with Emma. Ingrid of course, was able to get in because of the Scroll.

Aren't you conflating two different things here? The identity/memory wipe has nothing to do with cloaking or barrier spells.

I don't think I said it did. I was just listing the various things affecting people's ability to enter and/or leave the town. After the curse broke, people were physically able to leave the town, but they risked losing their memories if they did so, so it still worked like a barrier keeping everyone in -- that's why they painted the town line on the road. There didn't seem to be anything keeping people out during that phase until they put up the barrier spell. Even now, anyone who wanted to could leave. They just wouldn't be able to be sure of getting back without the scroll or other magical help, so it still counts as a barrier. Regina's treating it like a barrier, since she's acting like she's separated from Robin forever.

I don't think I said it did. I was just listing the various things affecting people's ability to enter and/or leave the town. 

When you stated "I don't think Rumple left town until season two, after the curse broke, and he was only able to do so because of the spell on Bae's shawl that allowed him to retain his memories.", it seemed like conflation. ;-)

They just wouldn't be able to be sure of getting back without the scroll or other magical help, so it still counts as a barrier.

I mentioned that Ingrid's spell acted as both a cloaking device and a barrier spell to the outside world two posts above. At the end of the day, the ability to find and enter Storybrooke will be dictated by the plot of the moment. I seriously doubt A&E have set rules on the subject. 

Edited by Rumsy4
When you stated "I don't think Rumple left town until season two, after the curse broke, and he was only able to do so because of the spell on Bae's shawl that allowed him to retain his memories.", it seemed like conflation. ;-)

Well, I suppose that he would have been physically able to walk across that town line at any time after the curse broke, but he would then have become "Mr. Gold" with no memory of having a son he needed to track down, so it was as good as a physical barrier, and he behaved as though he couldn't leave town until he developed the spell to work around it. So, in a sense Rumple was unable to leave without Bae's shawl because the person who left town would have been Gold, not Rumple.

When we were discussing barrier spells upthread, it was in the context of spells that prevented people from entering Storybrooke. The First Dark Curse was baked with something that kept the Cursed townfolk from wanting to leave/leaving, and also cloaked the town from the outside world. People losing their memories when they crossed the town line was a curse that was the side effect of bringing magic into town after the Dark Curse broke. So that wasn't an actual barrier spell. People could physically enter and leave Storybrooke until Rumple's Cloaking Spell that hid Storybrooke from view. We don't know whether that spell also prevented people from leaving and entering the Town. Once the Nevengers came back (and presumably Rumple lifted the Cloaking Spell), people like Emma and Pan!Henry were able to step out and re-enter. Ingrid's barrier spell also doesn't keep people from leaving town, only from reentering. JMO. And now I'm restating things. So, I'll stop. :-p

Edited by Rumsy4