Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08: Viral Video

After a Cloud 9 employee posts a controversial video online, Dina enlists Cheyenne to help police the rest of the staff's social media accounts. Meanwhile, Amy learns something about Jonah that drives her to desperately pursue Instagram views, and Glenn suspects Mateo of rewards card fraud.

Jonah's line about his "Audrey II" voice slayed me. Jeff's earrings were also perfect. 

The Amy plot was cringe inducing. Very well done but I hate watching people embarrass themselves like that. 

• Love 4

I thought Kelly's videos were really boring, too, though. I was with Amy on that, and really didn't think it was just because she was jealous of Kelly's relationship with Jonah. Also, I thought it would get Kelly in trouble that she was (1) making fun of customers, and (2) posting videos she made while on the clock (when you'd think she would be expected to actually be working).

The kitchen over run with rats was really upsetting. I mean *shudder*-- they were running around the place during the day when people were in the room!

I didn't see the Baptism coming. I also didn't see Glenn using the lunch as a set up to expose Mateo's lies. I liked that, actually. And Garrett being truly shocked by the fake customer loophole and that he'd never thought of it himself.

Also never would have seen it coming that Dina and Cheyenne could have fun together and really hit it off-- and that Dina looked really happy about it when Cheyenne decided to stay with her on break, and confide her role in the cup farting. That was very enjoyable. But I absolutely DID see it coming that Dina would write Cheyenne up for the infraction, even if she thought it was hilarious.

I think the "Amy humiliates herself" theme this season is wearing on me and bringing the rest of the show down, though. They need to spread the joys and the humiliations more evenly, and not just make her always the drag.

• Love 21

Kelly's videos were not funny, so I was with Amy on that. Glenn is my least favorite character but I was proud of him for being one up on Mateo. Dina and Cheyenne was sweet but I knew she'd write Cheyenne up anyway. That's Dina. 

The beginning was so funny with the farting in the cups and everyone giving Jeff shit for the earring. Then Mateo said something about "Google, what are the ingredients in farts?" and I was dying.

Also, how is there ever even an employee of the month to hang on the wall. These people never do their jobs!

• Love 7
50 minutes ago, festivus said:

Also, how is there ever even an employee of the month to hang on the wall. These people never do their jobs!

Was there more to those segments that I missed? They were like the short, funny customer segments but they weren't funny as far as I could tell. I must have missed something.

No, I just thought it was funny. I think the cup farter was hanging on the wall and his picture was taken down and then Amy's was after she did the rat video. I'm pretty sure that's what happened but I can't go back and watch again to be sure.

• Love 4

I laughed so freaking hard when the guy who does the "celebrities I`d bone"podcast started doing a Blue Apron commercial. I listen to a few podcasts, and I swear Blue Apron sponsors every single one

It was sweet watching Dina and Cheyenne bond, even though I knew that Dina would end up writing her up for something she confessed during girl talk. Dina gonna Dina. 

Jeff's ongoing midlife crisis in the background is one of my favorite new running gags. The earrings were just filling me with glee. "I didn't think I needed to mention that you shouldn't film the rats in the storage room..."

Nice to see Glenn actually on the ball, and get one up on Mateo. Glenn does have a bit of a surprisingly sneaky side sometimes, and its always fun to see it come out. 

• Love 13

I laughed so freaking hard when the guy who does the "celebrities I`d bone"podcast started doing a Blue Apron commercial. I listen to a few podcasts, and I swear Blue Apron sponsors every single one. 

Same! Like anyone would sponsor Marcus's podcast. This could be a running gag. Next week his sponsor could be Stamps.com, then Audible.com, then Zip Recruiter. 

I also still enjoy the running gag of Amy wearing a different name tag every week. This week she was Caroline. I wonder if anyone is keeping track to see if she ever wears the same name twice.

• Love 7

Regarding Kelly's videos, I thought the fact that they were more odd than funny was part of the joke.

I do love the whole weird gang at Cloud Nine. How many other shows would have a plot that revolved around cup farting?!

• Love 2
11 hours ago, possibilities said:

I thought Kelly's videos were really boring, too, though. I was with Amy on that, and really didn't think it was just because she was jealous of Kelly's relationship with Jonah. Also, I thought it would get Kelly in trouble that she was (1) making fun of customers, and (2) posting videos she made while on the clock (when you'd think she would be expected to actually be working).

The kitchen over run with rats was really upsetting. I mean *shudder*-- they were running around the place during the day when people were in the room!

Yeah, Kelly’s videos were not funny. I wonder why everyone else but Amy thought they were. Do people really like Kelly so much that they adore everything she does? Not this girl. And I don’t like her with Jonah, either. She doesn’t seem very smart—her thoughts don’t go deeper than the superficial. And that’s not necessarily a bad thing, but it does make me wonder why Jonah likes her.

In contrast, I know many people don’t want Jonah and Amy together, but I like their chemistry. On the episodes where they worked together, like the election episode, the “serial killer Cloud 9 guy” episode, and the Black Friday episode, they had great rapport and intelligent banter. I just like them together. They both have a weird sense of humor and think they’re smarter than everyone else in the room. Which is annoying but cute because neither one of them is.

I wish the writers would make Amy likeable again.  She used to be smart, good at her job, and got along well with her co-workers. Now, she’s none of those three. Her co-workers don’t even like her anymore.  I did like some of Amy’s videos, pathetic though they were. America Ferrera is a good dancer. 

And why did no one in corporate address the actual rats that were running rampant through the kitchen!! Ewww. I would never eat there again! I know the store has rat traps, but they obviously aren’t working. Unfortunately, I’ve heard that rodent problems are real in big stores like Wal-Mart.

• Love 6

Yeah, Kelly’s videos were not funny. I wonder why everyone else but Amy thought they were. 

You'd be amazed at the mundane things that get massive views on YouTube or Instagram. People become social media "celebrities" for the dumbest things. 

I have to ask . . . how does a bird masturbate?

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

You'd be amazed at the mundane things that get massive views on YouTube or Instagram. People become social media "celebrities" for the dumbest things. 

I think that's what they were making fun of. YouTube is full of cute women doing the most mundane things in life. Guys watch them because for a few minutes there is a cute woman on their screen. But I don't do this. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
51 minutes ago, janie jones said:

I missed the beginning of the episode.  What were Kelly's videos about, and what was Mateo doing with the fake customers?

Her videos were basically about nothing. "Here I am at Cloud9. That guy is buying a lot of balloons. What is he going to a birthday party?" and then Amy's like, "yes, that's exactly what he was doing". That was part of the joke: the videos were not remotely funny, cute or interesting. Everyone else was acting like they were. Amy was befuddled. Then they accused her of being jealous, which, she probably also was (after seeing the one video of Jonah clearly in PJs in Kelly's kitchen, which was also a boring state the obvious video). Essentially, even though Amy's reactions to the videos were totally reasonable to us, the audience, way before the jealousy angle came in, everyone in show for reasons inexplicable to Amy thought both that the videos were great and that her only possible reason for disliking them was jealousy.

Glenn mentioned the staff get bonuses for signing people up for loyalty cards. Garret didn't previously know that. Mateo had been signing up hundreds of fake people to get extra bonuses.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I laughed so freaking hard when the guy who does the "celebrities I`d bone"podcast started doing a Blue Apron commercial. I listen to a few podcasts, and I swear Blue Apron sponsors every single one

So true! I'm grateful they do it, because it pays for podcasts I like, but I laughed really hard about the mention on Superstore.

6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I have to ask . . . how does a bird masturbate?

I put "How do birds masturbate?" into my search engine and decided not to pursue the links. But apparently there are lots of videos as well as descriptions readily available.

• Love 4
On 1/5/2018 at 10:58 AM, ae2 said:

Was there more to those segments that I missed? They were like the short, funny customer segments but they weren't funny as far as I could tell. I must have missed something.

The cup farter was EOTM but got revoked after the video. Amy was then EOTM but got revoked after her video. It was more subtle humor than in your face humor.

23 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I want to find out more about Dina's "how much $ would it take to sleep with someone" list. 

Cheyenne: $75

Elias: $435,000

Glenn: not enough money in the world

Garrett: Persumbly Free

22 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

America Ferrera (Amy) is pregnant in real life, I wonder if this is going to affect the 22-episode third season? We are only on episode 8.

Lots of ways to handle it. Hide it, include it in the story, have her off screen, etc.

2 hours ago, Skyfall said:

The cup farter was EOTM but got revoked after the video. Amy was then EOTM but got revoked after her video. It was more subtle humor than in your face humor.

Ahh I figured it had to be something like that, but I didn't recognize the first guy so it threw me off. Thanks!

17 hours ago, possibilities said:

I put "How do birds masturbate?" into my search engine and decided not to pursue the links.

I want to Google "fart ingredients" just to see what comes up, but I'm afraid if I do my name will go on some kind of list.

• Love 3

Most things I enjoyed about this episode have been covered, but one thing that was missed that had me absolutely dying was when they showed an extended Amy Instagram where she was rapping that had the "self-check yourself before you wreck yourself" and unlike most of the others it showed the whole Instagram post where Amy included that the "New Track Just Dropped! #BOOM" and it was followed by a reply by emmadub03 that said "Mom please stop." Perfect!

• Love 9
On 1/5/2018 at 11:14 AM, topanga said:

And why did no one in corporate address the actual rats that were running rampant through the kitchen!! Ewww. I would never eat there again! I know the store has rat traps, but they obviously aren’t working. Unfortunately, I’ve heard that rodent problems are real in big stores like Wal-Mart.

This was my biggest question while watching.  I mean, sure, Jeff, employees probably shouldn't be highlighting (or ... lowlighting) rats in the kitchen, but also, rats shouldn't be in the kitchen?  But maybe now that the traps are clean they'll actually catch some rats.

Kelly's videos are clearly wack, which is why they didn't show anyone like Garrett, Dina, or Cheyenne actually reacting to them; Dina especially would've kept it too real.  Kelly's fine, but I don't like the way the show is setting her up as a foil to Amy, because in the process it changes too much about their characters.  They haven't convinced me that, for instance, Jonah would really like Kelly's inane videos if he didn't like her.

Although I loved everything about the fake phone call with Martin Nestle, including Jonah's Audrey II voice and Glenn's face when Mateo popped up, my favorite parts were Garrett's reactions to Glenn telling him to trace the call.

• Love 3

Apparently an unpopular opinion, but I am really not enjoying this season at all.   Seasons 1/2 were fun.  This season is not.  This episode was not.   It's the opposite of fun.   And I *hate* Kelly.   With or without pairing her with Jonah I find her completely annoying.  I didn't like her in her first episode, she gets worse as the episodes go on.  The cutesy squeaky little girly crap - just no.   The baptism scene was stupid.  I miss Amy being smart and capable.  I miss Amy and Jonah being friends.

This episode is sad and mean and depressing.  The whole season is so far. 

Mateo's expressions when he was first caught out and was lying to Glenn in the office was well done.   Garrett's face when he realized that he could have been scamming all along was great.  The break room scene where Jeff (?) has no control and the crazy things they say is never not funny.  And the earrings as the latest outward display of his midlife crisis is (?) are (?) perfect.  Dina's "how much would it take" answers (and the fact that she had already costed out everyone) and Cheyenne's response to $75 was perfect for both their characters.  So a few good minutes.  Out of 22.  

• Love 4
On 1/10/2018 at 1:09 AM, WhirledPeas said:

Apparently an unpopular opinion, but I am really not enjoying this season at all.   Seasons 1/2 were fun.  This season is not.  This episode was not.   It's the opposite of fun.

I tend to agree with you for the most part. There were definitely some LOL moments for me in this episode, like the end of the open when Marcus was like "He was farting in these cups?" as he takes a sip but I think my issue is that everyone is heading down that sitcom trap of becoming caricatures and not very likable. It happens too often now on shows and I don't like it. I want to like Amy, but she is making a fool of herself. Surprisingly Dina (who I think has been especially heinous this season) was pretty nice for the most part. I don't mind a few wacky characters around, but the core group needs to be stable and well-rounded and they aren't succeeding right now. Sorry for the rant!

• Love 1