Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E09: The Fugees

• Start Topic

Frank's business takes a turn for the worse, sending him on the run through the Great White North. Ian's run-in with a minister brings about some unexpected allies. Meanwhile, Fiona tries (and fails) to fit in with Ford's group of friends, Carl's new girlfriend suffers separation anxiety and Lip must decide whether to tell Sierra about Charlie's past.

Promo:

Clip:

Why can't Ford just not be interested in Fiona sexually? Why?

Didn't you know that all Gallaghers are sexually irresistible???

So Fiona didn't bother to hire licensed & bonded contractors? Color me shocked. You'd think her experience running Patsy's & the laundromat would've taught her that.

• Love 12

In my experience, male doms are often assholes. Also, the dynamic is yucky. I've always liked the character of Svetlana, and tonight I did again because it wasn't her succumbing to Kevin's BS domming, it was the actions of a broken person who realizes she has no choice but to comply. That was just painful to watch, even before the reveal. And Kevin's BS at breakfast is just .. it's just stupid and unworthy of any of the characters. Also, in Svetlana's workplace context and it being non-consensual, pretty gross, especially in a national context of harassment. They're making Kev and Vee act like 13-year-olds with a new toy, and none of it is close to funny. Or sentimental. It's just abusive. That's a tough place fo the show to go with Svet, who is duplicitous and abusive herself. Maybe they're making a rather stupid and arbitrary comment about power in general, but it's all yucky and tone deaf. I just wish they'd go back to the throuple if they've got to have all this in play (and remember, what ended the throu-ple this time was Kev's insecurity. Maybe they're working a longer game with this scenario than I thought). 

Debbie is 16. Pretty sure Fabio is older than that. That could cause real problems for him later. 

Fiona does not get a mortgage without insurance. So I at least hope they come up with a work around for that. 

Lip's storyline is all right. I firmly believe that fuck buddies do not actually exist in the world, so the fact that both he and Eddie are wanting a bit more rings true. He does need to be thinking of getting back to school, though. 

I hope the upcoming cliffhanger disaster is real, and not as contrived as I fear it will be. 

• Love 4

I was surprised when Ian wasn't asking someone to call 911 when he was giving CPR to the church guy. 

Deb was actually honest when she appealed to the college bursar re: allowing her to get a payment plan and accept her $200 to get her spot held in the advanced arc welding class. Not sure how I feel about her and Toto the drug sniffing dog. It was very Gallagher of her to go back to procuring drugs via the dog for resale but I'm waiting for her to get popped doing so and again ruin her chances of a normal-ish life for her and Franny. You know she won't stop when she sees an easy way to make money. Funny how the dog was after Frank at the end. He only had a towel on so he didn't have drugs on him. 

The eyes Carl made when she thought it was a marriage proposal said it all. That girl is trouble. 

Fiona is enamored because the thrill is in the chase. Sadly there's no chase for Ford (who I believe is more complicated with all those babies and former girlfriends hanging about.

i think that Svetlana's new out will be to find herself a rich man as she's sick of the dom game. Good. I'm sick of the storyline. Bring back sexy loving Vee and Kevin. 

• Love 3

Are we supposed to feel sorry for Svetlana now? Sorry, not buying it. I know the show probably likes the actress and wanted to find a way to keep her around after Mickey left, but IMO she just doesn't fit on the show anymore. 

Forget about everyone seemingly wanting Fiona - I want to know why Fiona wants Ford. He's not all that and he's sure as hell not worth chasing after. It seems like he's got more baggage than she does. 

Still so sick of the Frank shenanigans.

• Love 5

He is better than the last guy (Dermot Mulroney's character) to me.

I am new to this board, so I am not sure how other's felt about Jimmy/Steve, but I liked him and Fiona together.

Back to Fiona. It is not that I think Ford would be the catch in this relationship, but it just seems as if men lose their minds over wanting Fiona upon meeting her. I would just have rather have a male heterosexual character that just wasn't into Fiona like that. What more, Fiona sort of expects every dude she is into to be into her.

• Love 3

I would just have rather have a male heterosexual character that just wasn't into Fiona like that.

That's fine, but he seems to be playing head games with her, asking her to come with him and showing her all these buildings then going "Oh, no, I don't like you like that, this wasn't a date or anything," then basically asking her out to meet all his friends then ignoring her. WTF? He's such a cypher, it seems like he's messing with her. I'm glad she just put her foot down and gave him an ultimatum.

Sure, it can be annoying she seems to attract all those guys but that's the writing. She's the lead character, she's female, they're always going to give her a love interest. So as far as that goes, this guy seems like kind of a dud to me. I'm not sure why she's into him. He's got a life more complicated than hers, he's not all that great looking, and he's giving her weird mixed signals. 

• Love 4

Being Canadian, I started to giggle when I saw the Mounties in their formal red uniforms.  Particularly since Frank would be entering Ontario, which doesn't have Mounties, it has the Ontario Provincial Police.  I'm enjoying Ian's storyline and Lip's as well.   This season is not the best, but not the worst, either.   Always fun to watch, though.

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

^^ Very weird mixed signals. I wonder where the writers are going with that. 

The writers seem to have a weird fixation on humbling Fiona this season. From having her pour her heart out to Sean about how she still loves him but he can't just buy his way back in to her life, only to have Sean look at her incredulously as though it's so hard to imagine that one might have lingering feelings for someone they almost married, even a year later, to all the shit with Ian, to everyone in her building calling her some version of the C word, to now making a play for Ford only to be pretty swiftly rejected (and again, Ford acting like she way misread him when I think anyone watching would have assumed he was interested)- it just seems like the humiliation network for Fiona lately. Not sure why.

• Love 1

I could care less about Ford's stupid mind games and his lesbian fertility cult. He's not all that either. I wish Fiona would just focus for a minute on improving her life instead of wasting her time on him. Leave him to his woodwork or whatever.

Still not buying Ian's burning love for Trevor. Not as bored with it as Lip trying to micromanage everyone around him. I wish he would see Lea DeLaria daily I cant get enough of her. She's like a much needed breath of fresh air for this played out show.

I want Frank to have a massive redemption arc before the whole series ends.

The Svetlana/Kev/V thing is really problematic for reasons others here have described better than I could.

I have a feeling Carl is going to deal with his crazy little girlfriend/fiancee in a really funny but awful way.

• Love 4

Decent episode but with a few flaws.

The chick that Lip's banging has obviously fallen in love with him and it's only a matter of time before she's pregnant which makes me wonder how on all the previous seasons, the girls he effed with never showed up with a child of his. It's entirely possible that some never bothered taking precautions and had his child, or gave him/her away.

Speaking of him/her, Ian calling God as a "non-binary" was so cringy but Ian Season 8 has always felt so weird that I just don't really care much. Ian S8 is so OoC.

I loved seeing Svetlana standing up for herself after taking so much crap from the dumb as bricks Kevin. Though, I'll admit she looked sexy with the Catholic uniform. :P

Now, the Asian chick that Fiona was speaking to at the bowling alley asked her if she was Chinese and she got offended without showing much of it, I'd say. America was a country colonized by the British (European) and the first also reported to set foot on US were of European heritage so it throws away the whole 'Native-American' (native Indian) thing away. My point being, anyone can call him/herself American but originated from another country.

America is a country of immigrants around the world and said people are of the following descents.

• Europeans
  • Africans
  • Asians
  • Jews
  • Native Indians (also falls under 'Asians' as they're from Asia)
  • Latin Americans (or "Latinos" like the generalized term)
  • Arabs (also falls under 'Asians' as they're from Asia)

It really seems like a non-issue but people take it as offense that they're asked where they're from. I've been asked myself and I don't mind it.

Let's say, it's perfectly fine for anyone to be American but Japanese? Nope. If you're not a native Japanese-born citizen you'll always be a gaijin. But this isn't to say anyone can't have a Japanese passport but the native population wouldn't consider you Japanese, that's really it.

By the way, Latin Americans aren't just brown or dark-skinned people like usually assumed by most Americans (regardless of race) as Latin American people are either white, black, brown or mixed. There are also the different shades of white Latin Americans who get darker than other whites due to being tanned by the sun.

Bleh. End of rant.

• Love 1
On 1/8/2018 at 0:31 PM, Enigma X said:

He is better than the last guy (Dermot Mulroney's character) to me.

I am new to this board, so I am not sure how other's felt about Jimmy/Steve, but I liked him and Fiona together.

Back to Fiona. It is not that I think Ford would be the catch in this relationship, but it just seems as if men lose their minds over wanting Fiona upon meeting her. I would just have rather have a male heterosexual character that just wasn't into Fiona like that. What more, Fiona sort of expects every dude she is into to be into her.

Ummm... Hello! Fiona is fuckable as fuck! I would be disappointed if every man who met her didn't want to fuck her. 

Edited to add: Notice all the Gallagher children chose partners who are like their parents? The girls look for men who are Frank-like. Always. and the boys find all the Monica like women. hot messes.

Edited by taanja
reasons
  • Love 5

Fiona is most definitely hot. But, there is a long trend with all of them, filthy or not, having their junk serviced with almost no questions. Then handed a bunch of cash, then squandering it.. Etc.. Wash, rinse, repeat. 

10 hours ago, Philip said:

Speaking of him/her, Ian calling God as a "non-binary" was so cringy

I actually really appreciated that. The rest of his overnight bible expertise was massively contrived but for him to pull some apophatic theology out of his hat was unexpected. But then again I study that stuff in my spare time so I doubt that's exactly what they were shooting for.

• Love 1
On 08/01/2018 at 2:32 PM, Ava said:

Being Canadian, I started to giggle when I saw the Mounties in their formal red uniforms.  Particularly since Frank would be entering Ontario, which doesn't have Mounties, it has the Ontario Provincial Police.  I'm enjoying Ian's storyline and Lip's as well.   This season is not the best, but not the worst, either.   Always fun to watch, though.

Seriously,  there was every cliché in the book. When they had the accident,  I said "Dear God, please not a moose." And there it was.

I do think that the RCMP are sometimes involved with border work, but not in full dress uniform,  lol.

• Love 3

I should like Ian’s storyline but I don’t cause I hate Ian. The character is an arrogant prick. His haircut is idiotic too. Looks like a little boys haircut. Hate Trevor too so that doesn’t help.

Enough with Sierra and Lip. Don’t care and it’s making me hate Lip now.

All the stupid Canadian stereotypes made me roll my eyes. Come on show.

• Love 1
On 1/8/2018 at 3:32 PM, Ava said:

Frank could not have crossed to Canada to Ontario.

The U.S. - Canada border in Ontario always involves a rather obvious body of water. Therefore he would not have to walk in the woods while wondering whether he was in Canada. As well, considering the 16-hour drive, he would have crossed to Manitoba.

As well, a bit of correction, the RCMP does operate in Ontario as a national police, just like in all other provinces and territories of Canada. RCMP does not operate in Ontario (and Quebec) as provincial police as those two provinces have their own provincial police.