Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

I didn't care for DD but I loved JJ. Although I think it had too graphic sex scenes (for my enjoyment). I loved the friendships and relationships. Especially with the women. I'm only looking forward to LC because the actor is nice to look at. 

Edited by tarotx
  • Love 1

I'll be happy to see more of JJ either way - even if it's on Defenders.  It doesn't look like they are going to develop Trish's alter ego for the first Defenders airing - but I suppose she might have time to join them if they do another one.  While I really need DD to win a few more of his fights and cry/get beat up a little less to enjoy another season of that show - I am enjoying what Marvel is doing with their Netflix shows.  I wonder if/when DC will move into that arena.

• Love 1

First, Barry is an adult, not a boy, so that's a curious perspective from WM. Second, he confirms that even the LoT actors understand that there could be a cast change next season. Third, he seems to be hinting at some connection between Snart and Sara.

In this article they pretty much say cast changes won't be as dramatic as some have speculated:

http://www.tvinsider.com/article/64843/dcs-legends-of-tomorrow-has-the-most-dysfuntional-family-you-could-imagine/

The producers also explained that Legends' time-traveling rules will be established as the show progresses and that there will be "real consequences" instead of convenient reset buttons to undo plot twists. That means if someone dies, they die. So does that also mean a revolving door of new heroes and villains? Berlanti confirmed that we "could see a different [cast] panel in a few years," while fellow EP Andrew Kreisberg made sure to state that, for right now, the cast doesn't need to worry about Tomorrow.

"This is our secret wish list," he said at the panel's close. "This is our dream cast."

Edited by Proteus
  • Love 1

Just read this IGN interview with Wentworth Miller and a few of his comments struck me...

LEGENDS OF TOMORROW: WENTWORTH MILLER ON WHETHER CAPTAIN COLD IS A HERO

BY TERRI SCHWARTZ  16 JAN 2016

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/01/16/legends-of-tomorrow-wentworth-miller-on-whether-captain-cold-is-a-hero

First, Barry is an adult, not a boy, so that's a curious perspective from WM. Second, he confirms that even the LoT actors understand that there could be a cast change next season.  Third, he seems to be hinting at some connection between Snart and Sara.

I think Miller and his bud from Prison Break are the most likely to go just because they have a potential other job that could get in the way.  So it makes sense to me that he'd treat this as possibly short term.  Even if he survives the season, he might not be available next season.  (Though people don't sound too pumped about the Prison Break reboot, mostly since it seems too farfetched)  

And yeah, I have a hard time not thinking of Barry as a boy.  A man-child at the best.  I mean, he lives with his dad and sister. 

• Love 2

Dominic Purcell said this in an article about PB:

"Wentworth and I have a very unique chemistry. I can't recall two actors who are so synonymous together working on another show like Legends. Wentworth and I are like brothers. Regarding Prison Break shooting soon, he says "I probably won't stop working for the next seven years in a row, which is daunting."

That doesn't sound to me like he plans on leaving LOT anytime soon.

Dominic Purcell said this in an article about PB:

"Wentworth and I have a very unique chemistry. I can't recall two actors who are so synonymous together working on another show like Legends. Wentworth and I are like brothers. Regarding Prison Break shooting soon, he says "I probably won't stop working for the next seven years in a row, which is daunting."

That doesn't sound to me like he plans on leaving LOT anytime soon.

Do you mean it sounds like he'd be holding down two jobs?  My first read, it sounded like he thought Prison Break was going to be a huge hit so for a moment I thought it MORE likely he'd be off LoT. 

He's said before that PB will be filmed between seasons of LOT, so yes, I think he is fully saying he believes he'll be on LOT for at least seven years which is the sometimes standard contract length actors sign and PB would be something done in between.

I think Purcell is overly optimistic whichever show he's talking about. It's not that I want either to fail, but one still hasn't come on air and the other has not started filming.

Hush.  Don't you know LoT is going to score higher ratings than The Flash?!

Joking aside, nothing is guaranteed.  LoT could be the biggest show on The CW or flop harder than Crazy Ex Girlfriend...personally I'm guessing somewhere in between.  I fully expect some sort of cast shakeup for S2, they'll probably use the opportunity to trim the fat and refocus on what aspects of the show work best.  I also expect that the characters that require the most CGI will be high on the chopping block list because of money and time.

• Love 4

Joking aside, nothing is guaranteed.  LoT could be the biggest show on The CW or flop harder than Crazy Ex Girlfriend...personally I'm guessing somewhere in between.  I fully expect some sort of cast shakeup for S2, they'll probably use the opportunity to trim the fat and refocus on what aspects of the show work best.  I also expect that the characters that require the most CGI will be high on the chopping block list because of money and time.

Aww that's not fair to Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, who's co-creator/star Rachel Bloom has just won a Golden Globe and a TCA and frankly I would prefer a 2nd season of that over LoT.

Of all the non-Arrow comic shows returning I'm most excited for Agent Carter. Specifically for Marvel I'm so behind on AoS (and I don't really care) and while I liked JJ I'm sick of most of Marvel's TV being so grim. Agent Carter S1 was so enjoyable for me and I hope S2 will be the same. 

• Love 1

Aww that's not fair to Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, who's co-creator/star Rachel Bloom has just won a Golden Globe and a TCA and frankly I would prefer a 2nd season of that over LoT.

Of all the non-Arrow comic shows returning I'm most excited for Agent Carter. Specifically for Marvel I'm so behind on AoS (and I don't really care) and while I liked JJ I'm sick of most of Marvel's TV being so grim. Agent Carter S1 was so enjoyable for me and I hope S2 will be the same. 

I have nothing against Crazy Ex-Girlfriend but it IS the lowest rated show on the network.  It's pulling in (on a weekly basis) the same demo as Reign is on Friday nights and it's season average is just very slightly below Reign (0.29 vs 0.3).

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2016/01/12/the-cw-renewcancel-standings-week-16-izombie-is-on-track-for-a-third-season/ 

I think Flop is the appropriate term for the show.

Wouldn't pretty much any star of an upcoming show believe (or at least say) it's going to be a big hit and they're going to be doing it for a long time? At the very least they're going to be expected to speak positively about it, especially if they really do want to remain onboard. 

That said, if I were to guess I'd say the only non-expendable team members of LoT are Rip and the Hawks. In so much as Rip is the reason they are together and the Hawks are the reason Savage is even around. Without them the story doesn't work. 

That said, if I were to guess I'd say the only non-expendable team members of LoT are Rip and the Hawks. In so much as Rip is the reason they are together and the Hawks are the reason Savage is even around. Without them the story doesn't work.

Well,

Since PK said Savage is a one season villain, I'd say after this season the Hawks can be expendable.

I think at least 1 Hawk will stay. With Prison Break coming back though, I think Heatwave/Cold will leave for sure.

That's why I said I think. They could be contracted for multiple seasons of LoT which could require negotiations regardless, but I don't think they will be back full time if there is a season 2 that becomes a full blown season and filming in Aug. 

That's why I said I think. They could be contracted for multiple seasons of LoT which could require negotiations regardless, but I don't think they will be back full time if there is a season 2 that becomes a full blown season and filming in Aug. 

Not necessarily. LOT may be too expensive/its effects too time consuming to have a full season, so they may decide to keep it as a shorter show for season two, too. Like Agent Carter, for example. There's been a trend towards shorter seasons lately.

• Love 2

Arrow and Flash have worked out pretty well for them but some of the CW execs must be a little nervous about slotting in another superhero show, so they'll probably do a limited run and see if it does well. Then they can commit to a full season. Actually, I'm a bit surprised they didn't start with a mini-series to gauge the audience reaction first.

I hope LoT is wildly successful, purely because I don't want Ray Palmer, or Sara for that matter, coming back to Arrow in any sort of regular or frequently recurring character capacity.

Sorry Sara, it's not you, it's your last name that makes me say that...and Ray, it's just you.

• Love 10

Eh. Assuming Laurel is the one in the grave (a big assumption, I know), I wouldn't mind Sara coming back next season and re-taking up the Black Canary mantle.

Not that I think there's a snowball's chance in hell of that happening, other than in my dreams. She's better off having her own show, but assuming that's only a one-season gig for whatever reasons, I'd rather see her back on Arrow than not see her at all.

• Love 4

I like the shorter seasons... I honestly wouldn't mind it for ARROW. It would eliminate a lot of those filler episodes that the writers struggle to write. And I have to often white knuckle through.

I feel like the CW would be smart to consider smaller seasons, rather than get rid of shows because of limited space on their time schedule. If LoT is expensive (which it looks like it is on multiple fronts) then I can see how they would be inclined even next season to keep it in the teens.

• Love 3

I kind of hope LoT keeps to a shorter season.  Like kismet, I wonder if Arrow and Flash would benefit from it as well.  In fact - despite being one of the people who enjoys the cross-overs - I think they should consider shortening the regular shows seasons and then dedicating themselves to large cross over events that they don't feel the need to tie into the regular seasons.  For example, no matter what we think about the Hawks episode - I think it was weakened by trying to tie each episode into what was going on in each shows regular season.

I, for one, would have enjoyed the Hawks episodes a heck of a lot more - no matter how lame the Egypt flashbacks were - if I didn't have to suffer through the secret son stuff with Oliver.

Edited by nksarmi
  • Love 1

I found kendra a nice girl but boring, and Carter an obnoxious low IQ jerk. I hope that their time on LoT will be at a minimum and most of the show will be about the more interesting characters.  Not too thrilled with Jay Jackson from what I've seen of him either..

• Love 1

Here's Alan Sepinwall's review of the LoT premiere (also mentions Arrow and Flash - for example, he mentions the "early bumps" and "huge growth curve" that Arrow went through in its S1) - warning: a little spoilery...

Review: Too many capes? Atom, Firestorm & more team up in 'Legends of Tomorrow'
By Alan Sepinwall  | Monday, Jan 18, 2016 11:32 AM
http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/review-too-many-capes-atom-firestorm-more-team-up-in-legends-of-tomorrow

And here's a positive perspective on all The CW's superhero shows (Arrow, Flash and LoT)...

The CW Is Proving That DC Has More To Offer Than Just Batman And Superman
By Jason Serafino, Tech Times | January 19, 8:40 AM

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/125379/20160119/cw-proves-dc-comics-more-offer-batman-superman.htm

As the company looks to make up for decades of misfires with one swing of the bat, the DC Universe is actually thriving, just in the one place no one expected it to be: The CW. Once a destination for paltry comedies and undercooked teen dramas, the network (which is owned by both Warner Bros. and CBS) decided to try its hand at the new trend of connected superhero universes in 2012, beginning with Arrow. Now, a mere three and a half years later, it has created the most unlikely success story of the recent comic book craze, and it did it all without a Batcave or spit curl in sight.

Both Flash and Arrow have been huge hits with critics and audiences, and by staying true to the source material and having faith in these second and third-tier characters, producers Greg Berlanti, Andrew Kreisberg and Marc Guggenheim found a way to make these offbeat properties work where so many other would-be adaptations have failed. Now, the producing trio is bringing to life its most over-the-top, and riskiest, project yet, DC’s Legends of Tomorrow.
Legends sports a diverse crew with different races, genders and sexual preferences being represented, and together, the team forms a unit that resembles the company's wide-ranging fanbase better than any other DC project in development. The thought is that, despite the obscure character choices, people will have enough faith in the station's overarching superhero universe to give this group of oddballs a shot — no matter how absurd the idea of a sub-atomic Brandon Routh doing battle with a time-traveling caveman may sound.
After a decade of Christopher Nolan’s strict realism and the fairly humorless malaise that was Man of Steel, moving the brand out of the shadow of Batman and Superman was necessary if DC wanted to keep growing and attracting new audiences. And with a renewed focus on its vast library of characters, and a network that understands their potential, The CW is turning a group of heroes that nobody wanted into one of the biggest franchises on television.

Edited by tv echo

Who's the character between Aquaman and Batman?

Also that Flash is definitely beefier than CW's BA. I can see why they couldn't cast GG in the movie if that was the look they were going for...

Yep, he is and his build isn't that much different than GG's. Maybe he's beefing up as I type. 

Or they just enhanced him in the poster like they do with actresses. The one that instantly comes to mind is Keira Knightley on the Pirates of the Caribbean poster.

• Love 3