Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

I disagree immensely. I think it'll be great and successful. I really think MOS was solid to great.

I thought Man of Steel was awful. Possibly the worst Superman movie I've ever watched, and that includes the one with Richard Pryor in it. Just a load of emo nonsense from Cardboard Cavill (who Snyder at least had the smarts to keep silent for most of the movie) and then lots of blurry, badly done CGI effects while Michael Shannon gargled rocks.

But just look at the lineups. DC have always been stronger on teams than individual heroes (other than their big three), and that list shows why. Aquaman? Cyborg? How low rent do they want to go? Another crack at Green Lantern? They'd be better off with the Teen Titans, for starters.

Teen Titans coming to TNT and I read somewhere that Dick Greyson/Nightwing is lined up to be the lead character.

this was posted here a while ago :P Like on page 5/6.

Edit: Oh never-mind I think you were responding to Danny Franks lol . Ignore me. 

Edited by ban1o

Cardboard Cavill

But he's so pretty to look at! Watching Henry Cavill flex and look cute is the only saving grace of that movie for me. Seriously, though, I hated how MoS tried to ruin who Superman is. That was not the same superhero that I grew up reading about or watching in the animated universe. As much as I know that Batman vs. Superman will suck (it's Snyder and Goyer--that movie will probably make me angry a lot), I'm still very likely going to watch it. If only to see how Gal Gadot manages Wonder Woman.

I'm kind of impressed with the DC movie-verse line-up, though. A female-led movie and 2 POC-driven ones, with a possible third if they focus on John Stewart as the GL. Nice diversity. I just hope the scripts are great. Can Gail Simone write the WW movie, please? That would be a dream.

• Love 1

I'm not too sure if DC will follow through with all of those films. We'll have to wait and see. But it is impressive diversity-wise compared to Marvel's straight, white, male Chris's. 

And yeah after MOS I'm only seeing BVS for Henry Cavill's pretty face and to see Gal as WW lol. 

Edited by ban1o

I guess I'm the only one who liked MOS...I LOVED Amy Adams' Lois (though I love her in general).

As for whether all the movies happen...well hopefully they make enough..especially WW.

I love Amy Adams in general but I don't think she had much to do in MOS tbh. 

Man of steel was the most boring super hero movie I've seen yet. Green lantern was the dumbest.

DC has not impressed me much with their movies. I think the last movie of theirs I saw in the theater was batman with Val kilmer. The rest I waited until they were on dvd.

However I saw cap 2 and the avengers twice and guardians of the galaxy three times in the theater. When a new Marvel movie is out I'll be getting tickets and that includes Big Hero 6.

• Love 2

I didn't mind the Green Lantern movie. It was dumb but Blake Lively's laughing fit was something I hadn't seen in a superhero movie before. I like Lively a lot in general though. I don't actually plan on watching it again but at least I didn't spend half of the running time wondering if Superman and Zod would ever stop fighting. I just can't get excited for a Zach Snyder movie, and, honestly, I'd be shocked if half of those DC movies get made.

I love Amy Adams in general but I don't think she had much to do in MOS tbh.

I really liked her investigating and finding out who Superman was.

Also her scene with Jor-El.

Even though nothing beats the outfits she wore with Christian Bale and ...oh wait.

Wrong movie ;)

• Love 1

So in the next 6  years we are getting A LOT of comic book movies 

CA_Supermovies2.jpg

If all of these actually get made...That's comic-book movie overload. 7 for 2016!! But I'm guessing some of these won't make it out of preproduction. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Love 1

But he's so pretty to look at! Watching Henry Cavill flex and look cute is the only saving grace of that movie for me. Seriously, though, I hated how MoS tried to ruin who Superman is. That was not the same superhero that I grew up reading about or watching in the animated universe

After watching Smallville for ten years though, I have to say I very much recognized Supes in MoS.  He used to be this optimistic, boy scout that saw the best in everyone, but then came Smallville.  Never has there been any versions that moped more than Clark Kent in Smallville  Not just moped but wallowed in his pain and buried his head against the consequences of his actions only to blame, blame, blame those around him.  And though an hour long fight to the death with Zod sounds grim, I'll still take it over spending year nine with Dark Clark who thinks a black trench coat is the right look and is big into lifting powerless men and women up by their throats.  By comparison, MoS was positively upbeat and refreshing. 

So your dad died from a way over abundance of caution, that's still better than dying because Clark at 16 decides to become a bank robber and live it up in the city after causing his mother's miscarriage which forces said dad to make a deal with Bio dad to take on equal powers so he can get his misbehaving son under control only for that to ruin his heart and eventually kill him. 

As for Lois, I do love Amy Adams but after the low bar Smallville set, Jenny Olsen (or whatever her name was in the movie) would have impressed me with her investigative reporter skills.  

Man of Steel had some problems but the grey world that Superman inhabited still left him a more hopeful and inspiring Superman than the one I'd been subjected to for the prior decade. 

• Love 1

No spoilers (all speculation)...

After Arrow & The Flash - The CW's THIRD Superhero Show Will Be...?

by Jashan Boparai ⋅ Posted on October 19th, 2014

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2014/10/19/after-arrow-the-flash-the-cw-s-third-superhero-show-will-be-2360552?lt_source=external,manual

How about neither of the names mentioned in the article?

*I'll just sit here and continue to wait until a Batwoman movie or TV show is made. There is such great potential in her story, she's the only character who's book i am considering reading. I've seen some pics and scans online and i'm intrigued, she has a very interesting background.

Writers can barely imagine any woman in a position of power unless she's just there for the real hero to flail up against (General Beckman in Chuck) or evil (Regina in OUAT)

I'm wracking my brain trying to come up with shows where the female lead is actually the one in the position of power and so far I have the current Madame Secretary followed by memories of a rapidly canceled show where there was  a female president (cant remember name of show but stared Gina Davis) then there was Political Animals staring Sigourney Weaver that is now being called a mini series rather than didn't get picked up for a full season. 

Beyond those three and (and another one coming up with another female Secretary of State) I can't think of any.  Maybe Scandal but that is such an over the top soap does it count?? 

The saddest thing I've noted is all four other shows I mentioned are all loosely based on Hillary Clinton.  I'm not disparaging her but rather the lack of imagination on the writer's part.  Even The Good Wife (which I didn't include as female lead in the highest position of power since the estranged husband is the Governor) has it's roots in Hillary and Bill. 

Please tell me I'm forgetting some recently successful show where the female lead got to be in charge or had the most power! 

Off the top of my head: Game of Thrones, Veep, Defiance, How to Get Away with Murder, Bones.

I don't watch GoT so thanks for that one but I would argue Veep only pretends to have a woman in power since most of the comedy seems to revolve around her not getting respect or having real power.  Bones doesn't have the lead female in charge, Brennan has to bow to Camile and she while she's now pretty much an equal with Booth, they've played up her "dumb scientist" persona enough to put a dent in the equal part of the partnership.  Bones does have a female in charge of the Jeffersonian but again, her power is undercut quit a lot so she can fill the capacity of "boss to work around so they underlings can do things the right way."

Is How to Get Away with Murder any good?  I heard dramatically mixed reviews. 

Defiance has some strong female characters but the lead slot I think goes to the Law Keeper.  Otherwise we have the wayward daughter that needs to be saved, the mayor turned Madame, and the evil (ish) manipulator.  (I actually really like the show and love the father/daughter relationship and even our evil manipulator but I don't think I can use the show  as an example of writing a female lead with the most power on a show)

On Mysteries of Laura where she's supposed to be the tough top cop, she still has to answer to her douche of an ex husband at work who she continually has these "nice" moments with that imply the show would like her to eventually forgive and forget the cheating bastard. 

On OUAT Emma is the lead and referred to as the "savior" but she's not even doing police work any more, that's fallen to her dad.  I guess Mary-Margaret is stepping it up as a leader (she can read a manual and figure out how to run a city wide generator - actually that was a little too impressive) but at the same time, the show is ripping away the power and confidence from down Queen Elsa. 

Revenge has fallen apart into a glorified cat fight. 

Even kick ass female characters like Sydney Bristow on Alias had to answer to a boss that both she and the audience knew was an evil twisted monster.

Do we have to go back to Buffy?  Even she had Giles keeping her on mission.

Edited by BkWurm1

TV does a great job of creating awesome, tough, smart, well rounded, noble, brave female characters ...but they invariably are either there to help the male lead or are first and foremost are directed and aimed or kept in check by some wiser source.  

Edited by BkWurm1

Off the top of my head: Game of Thrones, Veep, Defiance, How to Get Away with Murder, Bones

I'd add Sleepy Hollow with the main character being both female and a cop and typically end up saving the other lead, so the power is pretty much in her favor..  

• Love 1

There's always Damages with the amazing Glenn Close in the central role. Her character Patty Hewes has her own law firm, is widely respected, intelligent, highly competent, pretty ruthless and damn fun to watch, and the most important relationship on the whole show is between two women. Glenn Close and Rose Byrne were dynamite together. Just typing that up makes me want to watch them together again.

Also have to say that I'm looking forward to State of Affairs. Mostly because I'm a Heigl fan, but Alfre Woodard as the president should be a lot of fun and I'm excited to see those two actresses working together.

Hopefully Supergirl goes to series though. I'd kill for a Batgirl show too.

I'm loving this season of Agents of Shield a lot. Certainly my favourite superhero show on the air at the minute considering that Gotham is a mess and Arrow, while still fun, has been underwhelming for me this season so far. I like The Flash fine, too, and I'm warming up to it more and more, but currently I don't think it's much better than your typical CW show, and arguably, my least favourite of the shows I do watch on the network.

Edited by manbearpig

I'd add Sleepy Hollow with the main character being both female and a cop and typically end up saving the other lead, so the power is pretty much in her favor..  

But he gets to be the savior sent from the past so he's extra special and she's following his agenda, not him following hers.  So while I think the show is reaching for a partnership, it still has had a way of marking who REALLY is in charge, even if he's not the best fighter.

It's a bit like Caste, where Detective Kate Beckett has all the skills and actually knows what's she's doing but super special mystery writer Richard Castle gets to play and help and be her partner (cause he's friends with the Mayor) and so while she's the one usually saving him, he's the special snowflake (again, I really like this show).

They do have a partnership (and later a relationship) and I think both work, but the power dynamic starts with Kate being forced to accept this nutty guy following her around - he set the agenda.

It's like on X-Fies, great, great partnership but we all knew who's quest it really was.  Scully was there to work with Mulder, not the other way around.

As much as I disliked the character, Starbuck fits the description as well. Actually BSG had women in power and a great range of powerful women.

There's also Reign where both Mary and Catherine are women of Power. Mary is st definitely the lead character and i'd argue that Starbuck was clearly the lead character in BSG (even if it tried to pretend otherwise).

• Love 1

Off the top of my head...President Laura Roslin from Battlestar Galactica comes to mind.

Smacks my forehead!  How could I forget her?  Loved the character.   She was on an ensemble show but I'd still say she was a major lead.  She also had a partnership of a kind with Adama but yeah, she held the ultimate power...it was at times a struggle but she earned her position 10x over. 

As much as I disliked the character, Starbuck fits the description as well. Actually BSG had women in power and a great range of powerful women.

There's also Reign where both Mary and Catherine are women of Power. Mary is st definitely the lead character and i'd argue that Starbuck was clearly the lead character in BSG (even if it tried to pretend otherwise).

So we either have to hope for another Battlestar Gillactica (excluding the last episode) or hope for more of history to serve as the ultimate canon. 

On a total change of topics, I'm really looking forward to the next episode of The Flash.  FELICITY!!!

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2

Agreed that Starbuck really was the de-facto lead of BSG--she even held the ultimate key to everyone's survival (even if the execution of her arc left a lot to be desired).  I loved how much that show portrayed women in power and even had the men referring to them as "Sir".

• Love 1

Despite it's faults BSG had an extensive cast of strong women and not just physically. I hate that now a days shows and the audience (to a certain extent) believe the only strong female is one who is physically tough. Female characters like Roslin, Mary & Catherine (Reign) and Moira (among others) are just as strong without lifting a finger.

• Love 4

Despite it's faults BSG had an extensive cast of strong women and not just physically.

Even thought BSG was a show very much aimed at a male demographic, I can see a strong argument saying that the show as a whole was actually female driven.

Giaus had Six leading him about

Lee was always running after Kara

Sharon and Athena were the ones that shaped the destiny's of the Chief and Helo

Adama was in command but it was Madame President that was in charge and again, leading the way.

Well, with Veep nobody in that group has power, and everyone except for the receptionist/secretary is completely incompetent, and the Veep outranks everyone who appears on that show. It also frequently lampshades/targets feminist issues. In rechecking Defiance I see that my memory is off: I thought Julie Benz/Amanda was listed as the co lead, not Stephanie Leondas/Irisa, There is, however, the mayor, and the old mayor, and Stahma, and a distinct hint that Irisa will become the main lead at some point. 

I'd call How to Get Away with Murder decidedly, um, mixed, and I think your tolerance for the show depends upon just how much you are willing to suspend your disbelief and how much popcorn you have handy.

Anyway, this all leads to my conclusion that we need a Supergirl show.  Also a Spider-Woman show and a She-Hulk show and a Wonder Woman show and yes, a Birds of Prey show. 

Edited by quarks
  • Love 2

I'm going to give Agent Carter a try, I didn't like AoS (after multiple attempts) bit I liked Agent Carter in both Capt. America movies

I'm in the exact same boat.  I'm generally more of a Marvel girl but I've struggled so much with getting into AoS.  Hopefully Agent Carter keeps my interest.

I'm hoping that the Netflix Marvel series can fill the void that some Marvel fans feel AoS lacks in. I'm much happier with the show now than I was last season, but it still doesn't scream "Marvel Comics" as loudly as it could.

Though there was a mention last night of an obscure and absurd character whom I absolutely adore, so at least the Easter Eggs are fun.

• Love 1

I'm hoping that the Netflix Marvel series can fill the void that some Marvel fans feel AoS lacks in. I'm much happier with the show now than I was last season, but it still doesn't scream "Marvel Comics" as loudly as it could.

Though there was a mention last night of an obscure and absurd character whom I absolutely adore, so at least the Easter Eggs are fun.

Really, who?

I'm a huge Marvel girl, mostly X-Men and New Warriors but I've picked up Avengers titles here and there, mostly in the 90s.

Ironically, my mother absolutely loves AoS.

Really, who?

I don't know how to spoiler tag on my phone so if it counts as a spoiler, I'm sorry. Simmons made a Hellcow reference. Regular cow fed on by Dracula, turned into a regular vampire cow who wears a Dracula cape. One of my favorite weird Marvel characters, right up there with Devil Dinosaur.
  • Love 1

I'm sorry. Simmons made a Hellcow reference. Regular cow fed on by Dracula, turned into a regular vampire cow who wears a Dracula cape. One of my favorite weird Marvel characters, right up there with Devil Dinosaur.

That's what she was saying! I even rewound that part and I had no clue, I know nothing about Marvel. Thanks :)

One female character that I have always liked was Diane Lockhart of Good Wife. She was the boss, the other managing partner would usually bow to her. She was clear headed, not emotional, had a killer wardrobe and then she married a man that no one expected her to because she felt like it and did not take social pressures into consideration like the title character of Alicia Florrick did.

Yups, Diane Lockhart has been my fav femae character in position of authority.

• Love 4

Orphan Black comes to mind for me.

Also looking forward to Agent Carter!

Orphan Black is great, and Tatiana Maslany is absolutely the boss of that show, in every respect. She's the protagonist (and antagonists, and sidekicks, and comedic characters), and genuinely the centre of the show. There's no creeping, 'men need to save her' aspect to it, and the one alpha male type character ended up being a creep with sketchy loyalties.

I don't think there has been a dearth of likeable female characters, of late, though. I've said it before, but this is a pretty good period of TV for them. You've got Felicity Smoak, you've got Abbie Mills, you've got Jemma Simmons, you've got Amy Santiago. All absolutely great characters. It's just a shame that two of the four are on shows I no longer give a crap about.

And it's 'funny' that both of those shows I've given up on feature a boring, bland, irritating, anti-presence character who just makes me want to fast forward. Thanks, Laurel and Coulson. At least on Arrow, you might get episodes where Laurel only appears for a few minutes. AoS feature Coulson's single facial expression (smirk) for a minimum of half its run time, each week.