Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

So she was in one episode? I thought she had a longer arc and I didn't remember her, regardless of her state of dress, because I'd never seen her on the show. I don't think I watched it past S1.

That was her part she played a girl trying out to be in a harem. From that article about Kriesburg it sounds like they were talking about her. I wouldn't be surprised if he was the same way around the female actresses on his shows too. 

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, strikera0 said:

I didn't check Twitter. What are they saying?

Basically how this explains why KC  was cast and how she's stayed on the show for so long and if she hooked up with him. And coming after Chris Wood for not doing anything about this whole AK situation. 

Edited by Primal Slayer
  • Love 2

Basically how this explains why KC  was cast and how she's stayed on the show for so long and if she hooked up with him.

But none of what was said for far pertains to actresses (other than that one bit of looking at the topless scene of one actress), but rather how he behaved with the writing staff. Was Kreisberg even in charge of casting at the beginning of Arrow? I though that KC was pretty much a CW staple, so I don't see why anybody would find it unusual that she was cast. 

Edited by tofutan

Well,  Bryan isn't hard to track down.  He is pretty active on Twitter, but not up to much.  I'm glad he stopped working with the show because I couldn't handle his name being tarnished. 

I'm also not sure how aware Greg is, well he's obviously aware now, he has so many shows and he's not exactly Overwatch.  He probably hires people and expects them to be, you know,  not horrible and goes off to make his next show.   But it kinda squicks that these are the people he trusts. 

• Love 2

Kreisberg was there from the start though. It's not like he was just some guy Berlanti hired when he already had 50 shows going on and he needed somebody to help out. They share writing credits on several episodes, so they must have worked together in the same writing room. 

A good chunk of early Flash and early Arrow has Story by : Greg Berlanti & Andrew Kreisberg, at least according to wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Flash_episodes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Arrow_episodes

I do hope that Berlanti will make a statement, but I'm not counting on it. 

Edited by tofutan
  • Love 1

The reports did say that GB wasn't made aware of anything and there are no reports of this happening on Arrow but mainly Flash which by the time GB was already spreading himself thin.

As somebody pointed out, in the Variety interview it says: 

This male colleague has known Kreisberg for some time, and about six years ago, he says he also wrote Kreisberg an email to try to get him to change. After these attempts, he says, Kreisberg often would not speak to him for days, or he would ignore what was said.

That would have to be before Flash existed. 

• Love 2

In other DC news - some media reaction after advance screenings of Justice League (warning: spoilers in two articles below) - one reviewer said that it looks like a Zack Snyder film but sounds like a Joss Whedon film...

Justice League Reviews: Read The First Reactions From Critics
Last updated by Chris E. Hayner on November 10, 2017 at 11:52AM
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/justice-league-reviews-read-the-first-reactions-fr/1100-6454852/ 

The first reviews to the upcoming Justice League are in! The social media embargo on the film expired Friday and, though full reviews won't be out until closer to release, critics have plenty of say about the film on Twitter.

The general consensus of critics seems to be that the film isn't perfect, by any means. However, it is a vast improvement over Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and Suicide Squad. Following in the steps of Wonder Woman, critics say the film has found its humor and lightened up the tone from what's been seen thus far in the DC cinematic universe.

The Justice League Twitter reviews are in: 'It's fine'
Christopher Hooten   November 10, 2017
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/justice-league-twitter-review-critics-wonder-woman-aquaman-a8048716.html

Advance screenings of Justice League have begun and film journalists are giving their verdicts on Twitter ahead of the reviews, with the response being mixed.

The general consensus seems to be that it is the best DC Extended Universe movie so far, but that that is not really saying much given the poor reaction to Batman v. Superman and Suicide Squad. Most agreed that the film is fun, but this came with a lot of caveats.

I wasn't sure if this spoilery tweet was a genuine reaction or a joke...

ETA: Also, Superman apparently now has a mustache.

Edited by tv echo
1 hour ago, Primal Slayer said:

Oh wow. I was not expecting to wake up to this news. And of course twitter is already being disgusting about it.

Yeah, I've seen people expressing hope that Guggenheim is the next person that gets accused, based on nothing except for the fact that they hate him. People are indeed gross.

• Love 17
2 minutes ago, tofutan said:

As somebody pointed out, in the Variety interview it says: 

That would have to be before Flash existed. 

I don't doubt that he hasn't been this way since before The Flash, but Im not surprised that is isn't something that GB would be made aware of. 

• Love 1

I think it's very important that people finally speak up about this things and the higher ups who knew and didn't do anything should get called to the carpet too, but the way "twitter justice" behaves isn't really acceptable either. Let the police or at least the official reporters investigate it if you don't trust the WB to make a fair inquiry. 

I wonder, is stuff like this a relevant topic for the writers' guild as well? 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, tofutan said:

They share writing credits on several episodes, so they must have worked together in the same writing room. 

If Berlanti knew - he needs to be held accountable.  Full stop.  But the fact that they worked together on scripts doesn't mean he witness this behavior.  This is, in part, about power and usually people know not to do this shit in front of the boss.  AK prayed on young, mostly powerless people.  It's how they continue to get a way with it for so long.   And writing together doesn't mean they spent copious amounts of time together physically. 

It is not implausible that GB didn't know.  HR departments exist to protect the company. I have no problem believing someone (or many someones) tried to keep him insulated from this.  If he knew - I doubt it will remain hidden for long - and if he knew he needs to be held accountable.  Even if he did not know there are clearly issues within his organization that need to be addressed - and whether he takes real steps to do so will be telling. 

1 hour ago, Primal Slayer said:

And of course twitter is already being disgusting about it.

It is not just about KC.  There is plenty of gross being said about people across these shows with no evidence or support.  And then there are the people hoping that MG is next.  How broken do you have to be that you hope people suffered harassment because it maybe, might get you the story line you want? 

• Love 10
Just now, Mrs. de Winter said:

It is not just about KC.  There is plenty of gross being said about people across these shows with no evidence or support.  And then there are the people hoping that MG is next.  How broken do you have to be that you hope people suffered harassment because it maybe, might get you the story line you want? 

Trust me, I know it isn't just about KC. She was the first example I saw before seeing people go after other people on the shows. 

It is not implausible that GB didn't know.  HR departments exist to protect the company. I have no problem believing someone (or many someones) tried to keep him insulated from this.  If he knew - I doubt it will remain hidden for long - and if he knew he needs to be held accountable.  Even if he did not know there are clearly issues within his organization that need to be addressed - and whether he takes real steps to do so will be telling. 

Well, it's the weekend, so I don't think we'll get too many statements before monday. 

13 minutes ago, Mrs. de Winter said:

For sure, I agree with this. I do get the feeling that we may see a lot of people on social media, the "trolls" and the such, attacking not just Greg and Marc, but also the women leads of all four shows, because people are gross and looking for people to blame. I can see why Katie is an unfortunate target, which shouldn't be the case at all, and nobody should be attacked like this. I totally predict we'll see similar tweets that were targeted at Katie also toward Emily, Candice, Danielle, Caity, and even Melissa. 

The first person to be held accountable is Andrew. Then, if evidence piles up about various people knowing, then they need to be held accountable too. But for now, the attention should stay on Andrew. I choose to ignore the social media trolls who think it's cool to also attack the other women on the show and the showrunners. They're gross but also irrelevant. Just because they have loud voices, it doesn't mean they're the majority of what people think, which is a very good thing.

I just feel bad for the women who are the victims. I now get why The Flash has had such issues with their women characters and the apparent inability for the show to utilize their women instead of putting them into the background or just there to prop the male characters. 

• Love 23

the apparent inability for the show to utilize their women instead of putting them into the background or just there to prop the male characters. 

Well, Flash is hardly the first show to have that problem and not all shows like that have showrunners that get accused of sexual misconduct. Not to mention, it happens even on shows with female showrunners. 

So sad to hear about the crazy people on twitter. 

Edited by tofutan
1 minute ago, tofutan said:

Well, Flash is hardly the first show to have that problem and not all shows like that have showrunners that get accused of sexual misconduct. Not to mention, it happens even on shows with female showrunners. 

Very, very true, but this is one of the first shows I think about when someone mentions poor female character development. There are still too many shows, especially in the superhero genre, that favour men to women, despite which gender is writing the episodes. 

• Love 1
Just now, Lady Calypso said:

Very, very true, but this is one of the first shows I think about when someone mentions poor female character development. There are still too many shows, especially in the superhero genre, that favour men to women, despite which gender is writing the episodes. 

Well, there's a reason why the term Women in Refridgerators came out of the superhero genre. It was always very boys' club on the creator side I think. 

I've seen horribly misogynist writing from female written shows as well, often in the more soap opera style genre. 

10 hours ago, tofutan said:

I know Berlanti is the original creator, but is Guggenheim on top of Kreisberg in the hierarchy? (what is the hierarchy anyway? I thought Berlanti was doing a lot of non Flarrowverse projects recently, do they (normally Berlanti and Sarah Schechter get named as the heads of the production company) decide who gets to do a new job or is that the decision of the networks/Warnerbros?) If Kreisberg was doing shady stuff 6 years ago already it's a pretty big fail that they kept giving him more and more projects. I know it's kinda too much to expect different behavior just because he's gay, but it's still pretty disappointing if Berlanti was aware. 

I assumed that Guggenheim and Kreisberg were fairly equal, below Berlanti although Kreisberg may have had somewhat more power than Guggie.  But they must have worked closely together and they're of fairly equal status.  If that Arrow writer knew six years ago that what Kreisberg was doing was wrong, then Guggenheim must have known to.  The writer got no support when he went to Kreisberg; I wonder what would have happened if Guggenheim had supported him and told AK to shut it down.

I don't know if Berlanti knew or if he suspected and just turned a blind eye to it.  I could believe that the executive that that female producer went to didn't tell Berlanti beause he/she didn't want to "bother" him.

I curious why all these sexual harassment stories are coming out now when a year ago the country elected as president a man who openly admits to sexually harassing women. I wonder if that's one of the reasons -- that women, both powerful women and those with lower status, are realizing that if they don't do something about it themselves, no one will.

re Riverdale set:  One of the articles that came out when the accident first happened said that the actors are given an option to be driven back and forth to the set when they work long hours.  KJ Apa chose to drive himself. (From others statements by him, he sounds like a 20 year old guy (which he is).  Few 20 year old men have the uderstanding that they are not invincible.

10 hours ago, Velocity23 said:

This was the latest report about KJ APA from 1 week ago

http://deadline.com/2017/11/riverdale-kj-apa-car-crash-production-practice-1202201813/

Edited by statsgirl

I can see why stories are coming out now since nothing has happened to Trump even after the video and they continue to get away with calling the women liars. But Weinstein toppling showed that other Hollywood men can also be taken down and they aren't as afraid of losing their jobs now.

• Love 5

I always thought Kreisberg on the hierarchy level since Berlanti and Kreisberg went into the Flash journey together. And MG was taking over Arrow more at the time. So if anything happen on the Flash they could not exactly go to Guggenheim. Now i am also wondering if Wendy Mericle becoming a EP has something to do allegations regarding Kreisberg (she became an EP just as Kreisberg was no longer an active part of Arrow). 

Edited by Velocity23

I curious why all these sexual harassment stories are coming out now when a year ago the country elected as president a man who openly admits to sexually harassing women. I wonder if that's one of the reasons -- that women, both powerful women and those with lower status, are realizing that if they don't do something about it themselves, no one will.

It's pretty disturbing that when you come across deranged Trump fans on the internet, they also book that as a victory for them, that this is the draining of the swamp (because people like Weinstein were known to be democrat supporters). 

If that Arrow writer knew six years ago that what Kreisberg was doing was wrong, then Guggenheim must have known to.  The writer got no support when he went to Kreisberg; I wonder what would have happened if Guggenheim had supported him and told AK to shut it down.

I don't know if Berlanti knew or if he suspected and just turned a blind eye to it.  I could believe that the executive that that female producer went to didn't tell Berlanti beause he/she didn't want to "bother" him.

That seems like a lot of conjecture on things we don't really know much about. 

That said, speaking of the extended Superhero universe, keep expecting something concrete on Bryan Singer, I feel like there've been rumors about him for years. It is said that he was supposed to be named in the Open Secret documentary but they removed him at the last minute. 

But Weinstein toppling showed that other Hollywood men can also be taken down and they aren't as afraid of losing their jobs now.

I kinda feel like it started with Cosby. Let's just hope that more people actually make it to trial just like Cosby. 

Edited by tofutan
  • Love 5
15 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

I always thought Kreisberg on the hierarchy level since Berlanti and Kreisberg went into the Flash journey together. And MG was taking over Arrow more at the time. So if anything happen on the Flash they could not exactly go to Guggenheim.

That's true but the sexual harassment and toxic working conditions pre-dated The Flash.  From the Variety article by Mo Ryan:

This male colleague has known Kreisberg for some time, and about six years ago, he says he also wrote Kreisberg an email to try to get him to change. After these attempts, he says, Kreisberg often would not speak to him for days, or he would ignore what was said.

Six years ago Kreisberg was working on Arrow. I don't see how Guggenheim could have failed to be aware of it, working so closely with Kreisburg. I'm not saying that Guggenheim did it too but as far as we know, he didn't try to get Kreisberg to stop it, unlike the unnamed male colleague.

• Love 1

But if Kreisberg and Berlanti worked on getting Flash off the ground and started Arrow together, how plausible is it that they weren't working together closely too? The variety article makes it sound like he wasn't exactly being super secretive about it and was Berlanti really THE big uber producer back then when Arrow and Flash weren't big successes yet? At the very least he must have noticed all those producers that quit. 

I don't see why the evidence for "Guggenheim must have known" is that much stronger than for any "Berlanti must have known". The article also mentions that apparently the behavior got worse over time as he accumulated more power. So maybe his behavior on Arrow was comparatively tamer by comparison. Not tame enough that it wasn't noticed by that other writer but maybe tame enough that others might have missed it or brushed it off as not that important. 

Look, I have no problem believing that Guggenheim knew and ignored him, but I just don't see why the evidence is supposed to be stronger for him than for Berlanti. In the end it seems to be that Berlanti/Schechter are very much in the responsibility too since they are the bosses right? And Schechter must have worked with Kreisberg on Supergirl. 

Edited by tofutan
  • Love 3

Berlanti is the Big Boss so it's plausible to me that Kreisberg toed the line when he was around Berlanti and people lower down would have been less likely to take their problems to Berlanti.  Kresiberg really seems to have targeted the people with less power and didn't care if they quit, or at least didn't care enough to change his behaviour. 

I don't know if Berlanti was working in the same building as the Arrow crew back then; in 2012-2014 he was also working on Political Animals, Golden Boy, Haunted, and The Tomorrow People so it's likely that his primary offices were elsewhere and he just dropped in to the Arrow set for specific reasons rather than being around all the time. as a hands-on writer/EP would have been.

But maybe he knew and didn't do anything about it, in which case boo on him.

5 hours ago, tofutan said:

Look, I have no problem believing that Guggenheim knew and ignored him, but I just don't see why the evidence is supposed to be stronger for him than for Berlanti

Based on the story - which does not name either of them specifically - there is no evidence against either one right now.  Only speculation based on assumptions of relationships, status, workload etc. 

I mean the person who challenged AK is credited as a writer in the story - which technically is a classification that covers MG as well (if you say co-producer you might as well just say his name so perhaps writer was used).  I am not saying I believe that is the case - and there are other writers who fit the description - but it is possible.  Which is why I don't think we can know until more people share their stories - which I hope they feel safe enough to do now. 

I have no problem believing others are going to have to - and should have to - answer for this.  But at this point we don't know who those people should be. 

All of that said - I also would like to say thank you to those men who clearly did try to do something and help those who were in less powerful positions.  In the midst of all of this grossness I feel like we also need to take a minute to appreciate that some people did step-up and try to help so we don't all lose our minds.   Kudos to them - along with - of course - the women who came forward.  Here's hoping it is not in vain and positive change is the result. 

Edited by Mrs. de Winter
because spelling counts
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Mrs. de Winter said:

This is, in part, about power and usually people know not to do this shit in front of the boss.  AK prayed on young, mostly powerless people.  It's how they continue to get a way with it for so long. 

That's my initial thinking. My abuser was a community leader. As we're seeing, this behavior is rampant in Hollywood and has been ignored for decades. (See that Maureen O'Hara interview from 1945 where she calls about harassment and abuse.) I want to see what happens now. Regardless of who knew what when, what are they going to do about it now. 

• Love 17

But precisely because of it being so rampant often means that the people who do is are shockingly obvious and not ashamed about it. Like that story Ellen Page told about how Brett Ratner said it in front of the whole group. Or Kevin Spacey also seems to have done his groping/massage stuff unabashedly in plain sight. 

I don't know if Berlanti was working in the same building as the Arrow crew back then; in 2012-2014 he was also working on Political Animals, Golden Boy, Haunted, and The Tomorrow People so it's likely that his primary offices were elsewhere and he just dropped in to the Arrow set for specific reasons rather than being around all the time. as a hands-on writer/EP would have been.

I think he talked about the Flash writers room a bunch of times. And based on the deadline story it seems the two most exessive incidents were a season 1 Flash writer and a director on both Arrow and Flash. (based on the wikipedia list, my guess would be Wendey Stanzler, because she's the only one I could see at quick glance who did work on Flash and Arrow, but not on Supergirl or Legends)

• Love 2

No industry is immune to this behavior, it's about power dynamics. Hollywood is just flashy and sells more stories than say sexual harassment in Big Law or something. I completely believe that it is just as bad in politics or banking or real estate. 

As someone said above HR departments are there to protect the company so it is plausible that GB didn't know but that's not really an excuse if this kind of systemic harassment is going on at the company with your name on it, it kind of speaks to the environment there. This calls back to that photo of the meeting about the crossover that was like 90% middle aged white dudes. 

Edited by leopardprint
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, leopardprint said:

No industry is immune to this behavior, it's about power dynamics. Hollywood is just flashy and sells more stories than say sexual harassment in Big Law or something. I completely believe that it is just as bad in politics or banking or real estate. 

Yeah a lot of commentators mention it, that it probably won't change much for let's say the little factory worker in the production line who gets groped by the shift boss. IMO that's why you need unions or make mandatory for companies to have a proper HR department. 

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, leopardprint said:

It most likely exists across the board but I think Hollywood would be more susceptible to it because decisions are more likely to be made on difficult-to-measure criteria such as physical attractiveness rather than billable hours.

55 minutes ago, Mrs. de Winter said:

I mean the person who challenged AK is credited as a writer in the story - which technically is a classification that covers MG as well (if you say co-producer you might as well just say his name so perhaps writer was used).  I am not saying I believe that is the case - and there are other writers who fit the description - but it is possible.  Which is why I don't think we can know until more people share their stories - which I hope they feel safe enough to do now.

I agree it would be a way to hide MG's identity. But MG would have had the clout to go to Berlanti to shut it down.  It seems like the writer in the article didn't.

I'm just trying to put together the pieces.  Hopefully we'll get the whole story sometime.  It also sheds interesting light on those women directors who didn't want to work on the Arrowverse shows.

57 minutes ago, Mrs. de Winter said:

All of that said - I also would like to say thank you to those men who clearly did try to do something and help those who were in less powerful positions.  In the midst of all of this grossness I feel like we also need to take a minute to appreciate that some people did step-up and try to help so we don't all lose our minds. 

This.

And hopefully there will be repercussions for those who didn't but I'm not sanguine about that.

• Love 1

It also sheds interesting light on those women directors who didn't want to work on the Arrowverse shows.

Is that an older story or somebody from these current articles?  

And hopefully there will be repercussions for those who didn't but I'm not sanguine about that.

I think people are just good at brushing those things off and working their way around it. Especially when they think it's just a one off incident that is maybe squicky but you don't go "okay, cost sombody his job or pick a public fight over it". I recently watched the Hitchcock movie about him being obsessed with Tippi Hendren during the shooting of The Birds and read some of the interviews around it and Tippi said something along the lines that yeah, everything from the movie happened, but not as condensed. Like there would be one incident and then there wouldn't be anything for months. If it had been as constant as it seemed in the movie, she would have walked. 

The Kevin Spacey situation, both at netflix and at the Old Vic theater also sound pretty similar. People find coping mechanisms. 

4 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I'm just trying to put together the pieces.  Hopefully we'll get the whole story sometime.  It also sheds interesting light on those women directors who didn't want to work on the Arrowverse shows.

That is totally fair and it was not my intent to say otherwise or tell people they should not try.  I too have been speculating - its human nature and I think we all want to try and figure out how this type of thing could happen and how we make sure it doesn't happen again.  I was reacting more to the idea of evidence that one or the other was more or less guilty than the other as I don't think we have evidence that says either MG or GB did anything wrong.  I think there are scenarios where one, both, or neither are guilty (and all with varying degrees) and we can't, with what we know now, know which of those is correct.   I would guess there are a fair number of people in the arrowverse who are likely not sleeping as well as they did a few nights ago.

7 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I agree it would be a way to hide MG's identity. But MG would have had the clout to go to Berlanti to shut it down.  It seems like the writer in the article didn't.

True - although I would assume everyone would have his email at least (which again, might be managed by an assistant so it didn't get to him).  Perhaps they went to HR and, having been blocked, believed it would do no good to go further  Or HR told them they went to Berlanti and he dismissed it - when in fact the HR person, in an effort to protect the company, never took it to GB.  Or may be it was MG and he did go to GB personally and GB did nothing.   I can move the pieces in a lot of ways and certainly have versions I think are more correct than others - but all of them have a lot of crucial missing information. 

12 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Unfortunately, most days, neither am I.  I keep telling myself hope is necessary - even in the face of a world that does not currently inspire much of it.  

• Love 1

It really boggles the mind that last week we were all complaining about the cross overs and this week we're discussing how the producers are sexist perverts and Chloe Sullivan is running a sex cult. 

• Love 12

Prince MojoTM posted video clips of the Flash panel (GG, CP, TC, CV, DP) at Fan Expo Vancouver yesterday. Here's the link to his videos....
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fan+expo+vancouver+flash&sp=CAJQFA%3D%3D

In this one, GG talked about the physical demands of being The Flash ("not like Stephen as the Arrow," he didn't have to get "shredded")...
FanExpo Vancouver. 2017 Team Flash Part 2

In this one, GG talked about The Flash being spun off from Arrow...
FanExpo Vancouver. 2017 Team Flash part 3

Edited by tv echo

You know how some fans complained about "too much drama" involving Olicity on Arrow in past seasons? Well, I came across this review of this season's Flash premiere and the following excerpt caught my eye...

‘The Flash’ Seems to be Missing a Step
By ANUM SHAFQAT   November 11, 2017
http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2017/11/11/the-flash-season-four/

With significant former characters absent—Harrison, Julian, various others, and briefly Barry—the episode feels incomplete. Additionally, Barry and Iris’s relationship becomes too clear-cut and perfect. They lack the usual relationship conflict that offers a realistic romance. Instead, it seems that Iris’ only purpose is to act as bait for Barry. And I sense that the writers are going to rely on the superhero saves the girl dynamic repeatedly, as they did in this episode. It is a tiring, played-out trope.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4
24 minutes ago, tv echo said:

You know how some fans complained about "too much drama" involving Olicity on Arrow in past seasons? Well, I came across this review of this season's Flash premiere and the following excerpt caught my eye...

‘The Flash’ Seems to be Missing a Step
By ANUM SHAFQAT   November 11, 2017
http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2017/11/11/the-flash-season-four/

Pretty much describing them as boring and dull. Truer words never spoken. 

• Love 5

Give them some time till the Saturngirl/Mon-El/Kara/Brainiac 5 quadrangle from hell starts on Supergirl, I bet they'll make "boring" Westallen look like heaven by comparison. 

BTW there's a tumblr that claims to know somebody who knows people behind the scenes and that the actors knew and various actors did speak out about it and were punished by Kreisberg and Berlanti for it. Claims Berlanti was absolutely in the know. No idea if they are credible. 

Edited by tofutan
  • Love 2