Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, NumberCruncher said:

Agreed re: Thor. I don't think I have belly-laughed that much in the movie theater in a very long time.  Taika Waititi is pure genius. I can't believe I'm saying this about a Thor movie but it's now in my top 3 MCU movies of all time list.

ME TOO!

What's your top 5 list now?

I also feel Black Panther is going to be in my top 5 list as well

19 minutes ago, WindofChange said:

ME TOO!

What's your top 5 list now?

I also feel Black Panther is going to be in my top 5 list as well

I would say my rankings are:

1.  The Avengers

2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

3. Thor: Ragnarok

4.  Guardians of the Galaxy

5.  Captain America: Civil War

As of right now 

1 - Captain America The Winter Soldier (I don't think any movie will top it).

2 - Guardians of the Galaxy

3 - Iron Man (may drop if I ever do a rewatch)

4 - Thor Ragnorok

5 - The Avengers.

Edited by Morrigan2575

1 Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (lovely movie and Marvel finally licked their villain problem)

2 Spider-man: Homecoming (great villain again and they finally got Spider-man right)

3 Captain America: The Winter Soldier (just a good spy/super-hero/action movie)

4 Captain America: Civil War (I like them finally coming to grips with the costs to everyone of superheroes)

5 Iron Man (It had flaws but it was the first, it set the mold and it was a damned fine mold)

I considered Avengers 2: Age of Ultron and Doctor Strange, but couldn't see it.  The best thing about Avengers 2 was that they couldn't ruin James Spader's voice and Doctor Strange, trippy and cool as it is, is still basically Iron Man learns magick.  I know a lot of people picked the first Avengers, but I the only thing it really had was everybody in the same movie.  Loki as the villain was kind of weak and there's a point in the movie after he's captured and Thor comes on board where literally nothing of consequence happens for a good 20 minutes.  The movie just coasts on the stars' charisma and bantering while nothing else happens.  If I can leave a movie for a mini-lunch break and miss nothing of real importance, that's not a good movie to me.

Based on what I've heard, I suspect that Thor: Ragnorak will end up at least displacing Iron Man on my top 5 list.

Kevin Smith will donate the residuals from his films produced by Harvey Weinstein to a nonprofit that supports female filmmakers

Apparently, this Kevin Smith story has been out for a few weeks, I just haven't caught it. I feel like I haven't said this in a good long while, but good for you, Kevin Smith.

“My entire career is tied up with the man,” Smith said on the Hollywood Babble-On podcast. “I just wanted to make some f---ing movies, that’s it. And no f---ing movie is worth all this. Like, my entire career, f--- it, take it. It’s wrapped up in something really f---ing horrible.”

Smith said that he was not aware of Weinstein's behavior. “I know it’s not my fault, but I didn’t f---ing help. Because I sat out there talking about this man like he was a hero, like he was my friend. I didn’t know the man that they keep talking about in the press. Clearly he exists, but that man never showed himself to me.”

When the allegations first broke out in The New York Times, Smith wrote on Twitter that he felt "ashamed" that he was profiting from Weinstein while others were suffering. 

• Love 8

FYI...

Fan Expo Vancouver, November 10-12, 2017 (Canada)
From Arrow: Stephen Amell, David Ramsey, Paul Blackthorne and Neal McDonough 
From Flash: Grant Gustin, Candice Patton, Tom Cavanagh, Carlos Valdes and Danielle Panabaker
From LoT: Brandon Routh and Caity Lotz
http://fanexpovancouver.com/guests/
Show Program
-Sat., 11/11, at 11:30am - Q&A Panel with Flash Cast (GG, CP, TC, CV, DP)
-Sat., 11/11, at 1:00pm - Q&A Panel with Arrow Star SA
-Sat., 11/11, at 4:00pm - Q&A Panel with Arrow Cast (DR, PB, NM)
-Sun., 11/12, at 11:30am - Q&A Panel with LoT Stars (BR, CL)

Edited by tv echo

Thor: Ragnarok electrifies box office with $121 million opening weekend
OLIVER GETTELL NOVEMBER 5, 2017
http://ew.com/movies/2017/11/05/thor-ragnarok-box-office-bad-moms-christmas/

Thor: Ragnarok may spell trouble for the realm of Asgard, but it brings good news for the box office. Disney and Marvel’s third solo movie starring Chris Hemsworth as the god of thunder is on track to gross an estimated $121 million in the U.S. and Canada over its first weekend, easily conquering the competition while heralding Hollywood’s first big opening in several weeks.

Ragnarok‘s haul represents the fourth-largest debut of 2017, behind Beauty and the Beast ($174.8 million), Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 ($146.5 million), and It ($123.4 million). It also crushes the openings of 2011’s Thor ($65.7 million) and 2013’s Thor: The Dark World ($85.7 million), and edges out the most recent installment of the Marvel cinematic universe, Spider-Man: Homecoming ($117 million).

Directed by with a distinctly humorous tone by Taika Waititi and boasting a powerhouse cast — including Cate Blanchett, Mark Ruffalo, Tom Hiddeslton, and Tessa Thompson — Ragnarok received glowing reviews and garnered an A CinemaScore, indicating good word of mouth. The threequel, which reportedly cost $180 million to make, has likewise fared well overseas, tallying about $306 million since it began rolling out last week.

Weekend Box Office: 'Thor: Ragnarok' Outwits Sequel Curse With $121M Debut
11/5/2017 by Pamela McClintock
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/weekend-box-office-thor-ragnarok-outwits-sequel-curse-121m-debut-1055030

Thor: Ragnarok — with Chris Hemsworth returning in the titular role and Cate Blanchett introduced as Hela, the Asgardian goddess of death — helped restored luster to the domestic box office after a miserable October, posting the fourth-best opening of the year to date and besting every other 2017 superhero tentpole outside of fellow Marvel title Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, which earned $146.5 million. (Spider-Man: Homecoming debuted to $117 million, while Wonder Woman launched to $103.3 million.)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

TV THIS WEEK: INHUMANS FINALE, STAR TREK MIDSEASON BREAK, NEW WALKING DEAD AND MORE
Trent Moore   November 6, 2017
http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/tv-this-week-inhumans-finale-star-trek-midseason-break-new-walking-dead-and-more

Highlights

Arrow (The CW), Thursday 9PM - "Deathstroke Returns"
NEW
: Joe is taken hostage by mercenaries and the mission to rescue him gets complicated by a terrible revelation that could shatter Slade's hopes of reunion forever. Meanwhile, Vigilante reappears in Star City.
Marvel's Inhumans (ABC), Friday 9PM - "... And Finally: Black Bolt"
SEASON FINALE:
The final showdown occurs between Black Bolt and Maximus, and it takes an unexpected turn, resulting in lasting consequences for all of Inhumanity.
Monday
Supergirl (The CW), Monday 8PM - "Damage"
NEW
: Multiple children get sick from lead poisoning and Morgan Edge blames Lena for creating the lead bomb she made to save National City from the Daxamites. Meanwhile, Alex and Maggie make a crucial decision about the future of their relationship.
The Gifted (Fox), Monday 9PM - "got your siX"
NEW: Determined to find out more about what Sentinel Services did to an old friend of his, Thunderbird spearheads a mission to get answers. Meanwhile, Lauren encounters a new friend with useful powers; and Blink makes a big decision regarding her future.
Tuesday

The Flash (The CW), Tuesday 8PM - "Girls Night Out"
NEW: Caitlin receives an ominous threat from her old boss, Amunet, and fears her past time as Killer Frost may be back to haunt her. Meanwhile, Felicity comes to Central City to help the girls celebrate Iris' bachelorette party; and Cisco, Joe and the guys take Barry out for a night on the town.
DC's Legends of Tomorrow (The CW), Tuesday 9PM - "Return of the Mack"
NEW
: The Legends journey to London in 1897 to hunt down a time-traveling vampire. Once there, they run into Rip, but not everyone welcomes him back so quickly. Meanwhile, Stein discovers what Ray and Jax are up to and is not pleased.
Thursday

Gotham (Fox), Thursday 8PM - "A Dark Knight: Stop Hitting Yourself"
NEW: Grundy and Nygma become main attractions at Cherry's Place in the Narrows; Penguin wants revenge when he hears Nygma is mocking him on stage and enlists the Sirens for help; and Gordon is offered the position of GCPD captain, putting him at odds with Bullock.
Arrow (The CW), Thursday 9PM - "Deathstroke Returns"
See more in our Highlights section above.
Friday
Marvel's Inhumans (ABC), Friday 9PM - "... And Finally: Black Bolt"
See more in our Highlights section above.

Edited by tv echo
5 hours ago, way2interested said:

So temp love interests for Mon-el and Kara then?

I hope Brainaic 5 replaces Mon-el permanently as Kara's love interest/endgame just to tick off the people that are so sure Douche-el is her endgame. Brainaic 5 was end game for her in some of the comics 

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, SleepDeprived said:

Man, I can't believe I'm more excited about The Flash (a show I quit watching a while back) than Arrow this week. Bring on the #feminism episode! lol.

I was excited for 2 episodes this season the premiere which was Iris centric and 405 the #feminism episode... 

I was wrong to be excited for the premiere considering imo they did Iris a disservice by making her mission to lead the team about Barry and making her look illogical and inconsequential in the same episode (because Iris wasn't really the one who ended up saving Barry or the day)... 

But I'm still excited about the #feminism episode. I may have lost most hope for Iris' potential overall on Flash but at least she'll have this episode where she can actually be the hero!

Edited by WindofChange
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Is Mon El a Comic!Canon! love interest?

For Kara?  No, I don't think so.  I'm not sure Kara has one major comic canon love interest (will have to read up on her again) although I do see Brainiac 5 mentioned a lot.  I know in Justice League Unlimited she decided to stay in the future with him.  

I think a character called Shadow Lass is Mon-El's comic canon love interest

• Love 1

I've never read Supergirl comics but Brainiac 5 is one of her "canonical" love interests. I don't think Mon-El is but that doesn't mean anything except if they've exchanged Shadow Lass for Saturn Girl as his LI we might be in for a back half of a love quadrangle, because whilst I would be okay with it, I don't see them giving up on Karamel so soon. 

48 minutes ago, WindofChange said:

But I'm still excited about the #feminism episode. I may have lost most hope for Iris' potential overall on Flash but at least she'll have this episode where she can actually be the hero!

Should be good, especially if the bachelor party is in the drunk tank whilst the ladies save the day. I have enjoyed a slightly more prominent place for Iris this season but it does slightly annoy me that so much of it is around wedding planning.

Thanks - I thought it probably was, but the hair looked a bit too pale so I was second-guessing.

That's probably the blue dress from the pics on the church steps.

36 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

She's wearing the same dress in that pic of the group standing in the STAR Labs meta prison.

Oh interesting - I don't remember that pic.... *starts clicking through back pages*

ETA: Ah!  This one.  I forgot about this one.

IMG_0598.JPG

Yeah I think that's the same dress from the church.  It just looks black here (and in the trailer).

Edited by Starfish35

Yeah not much there.  Bad guys, Oliver voiceover, group shot in hall, Oliver drawing an arrow, Supergirl clenching her fist, Sara kicking a guy in the head. Credits.  Wonder when they'll put out a longer one.

Edited by Starfish35

I just posted this trailer for next week over in the Supergirl forum.

Whoa! I haven't been watching this season, but I would not have recognized Erica Durance.  *blinks* And the recasting of young!Kara and young!Alex is throwing me too - I keep expecting to see the former actors (although I understand why they recast).

Edited by Starfish35

So the L.A. premiere of Justice League is a week away, any chance some of the actors from the DCTV shows get to attend? Earlier this year some of the CW ladies got to go to the Wonder Woman premiere.

Also, I hoping DC takes advantage of the cross-marketing opportunity with the movie and the TV shows. Like the Supergirl/Wonder Woman promo they did, or the "Who will win" videos with BvsS.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

Thanks - I thought it probably was, but the hair looked a bit too pale so I was second-guessing.

Watched the clip in slow mo and while I'm sure it's supposed to be Sara, the stunt double is wearing the worst wig.  

• Love 1

There's more, but I only quoted the Felicity paragraph...

The Flash cast previews disastrous bachelor(ette) parties
Grant Gustin, Candice Patton, and ‘Arrow’ star Emily Bett Rickards and more tease the hilarious hour
NATALIE ABRAMS NOVEMBER 6, 2017
http://ew.com/tv/2017/11/06/flash-bachelor-bachelorette-party-spoilers/ 

The episode also marks a mini-crossover as Arrow‘s Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) comes to town to celebrate Iris but finds the emergence of Killer Frost to be far more exciting. “She’s stoked to see Killer Frost because she’s never seen her before,” Rickards says. “Obviously she didn’t know Killer Frost was as dire as she is. Felicity’s a huge nerd and loves that stuff.” Panabaker adds: “Felicity brings a lot of levity to any scene she’s in, and it’s nice to have her enthusiasm on the show.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

This is hilarious (warning: spoilery) - honestly, I thought of Galaxy Quest at the end - lol...

Thor: Ragnarok 4D w/ the 'Thor' Cast
(Chris Hemsworth, Tom Hiddleston, Cate Blanchett, Mark Ruffalo, Tessa Thompson, Jeff Goldblum)
Published on Nov 2, 2017, by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

That's probably the blue dress from the pics on the church steps.

Oh interesting - I don't remember that pic.... *starts clicking through back pages*

ETA: Ah!  This one.  I forgot about this one.

IMG_0598.JPG

Yeah I think that's the same dress from the church.  It just looks black here (and in the trailer).

Man Sara looks sexy in that dress 

Killer Frost makes me cringe tbh.  I really hope Iris gets focus tonight. Seems like a bad episode to focus on KF, seeing as it's a bachlorette party for Iris.

Also the: "I thought touching without permission is what you wanted," line give me second had embarrassment... Just like Dinahs: "Don't touch a woman without permission," line in season 5. 

Edited by JJ928
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, JJ928 said:

Killer Frost makes me cringe tbh.  I really hope Iris gets focus tonight. Seems like a bad episode to focus on KF, seeing as it's a bachlorette party for Iris.

Agreed. 

Also, someone please explain to me how the whole Killer Frost thing works - is she just not Caitlin at all anymore? 

(ETA: watched that clip right after I asked the question so I guess she is still Caitlin, at least a little).

Edited by apinknightmare
18 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

Agreed. 

Also, someone please explain to me how the whole Killer Frost thing works - is she just not Caitlin at all anymore? 

I honestly don’t even think the show knows. I keep reading about how hard it is for Caitlin to control killer Frost, but in that sneak peek killer Frost seems a lot like Caitlin.  Think they’re trying to sell it as a split personality thing, but Killer Frost didn’t seem too different  from CS  in the promo.

Edited by JJ928
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, JJ928 said:

Also the: "I thought touching without permission is what you wanted," line give me second had embarrassment... Just like Dinahs: "Don't touch a woman without permission," line in season 5. 

She actually said that? We're they trying to copy Sara's "No woman should ever suffer at the hands of men" line. 

With Killer Frost, I don't think the show knows what they are doing with that character. Since Caitlin being the only meta that changes personalities to use her power, they never even explained why that happens. They make it seem like she's two different people, kind of like the Hulk. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1