Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

4 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

How much more mileage will they Armen get out of the [character models of the] Dominators?

Fixed it! ?

But seriously, I'm expecting King Shark and White Martians to show up on Legends at some point.

• Love 3

My God, that Lord Mesa picture is pretty much Legends in a nutshell. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Tonight's episode of Supergirl was one of the best I've seen in a long time. Between J'onn and Maggie, I don't know whose story hurt me more. Thank God - and I mean this in all sincerity - thank God for Britney Spears.

• Love 1

Legends Of Tomorrow films cross over episode scenes with lots of stunt people and The Flash stars Grant Gustin and Tom Cavanagh
October 22, 2017
http://canadagraphs.weebly.com/other-celebrity-blogs-part-iii/legends-of-tomorrow-films-cross-over-episode-scenes-with-lots-of-stunt-people-and-the-flash-stars-grant-gustin-and-tom-cavanagh

While lots of stunt people were on hand while I was there for characters like Green Arrow, Black Canary, Wild Dog, Mr. Terrific, White Canary and others from Arrow, The Flash and Legends Of Tomorrow, in the earlier scene I saw they did have two actual cast out there. Grant Gustin as Barry Allen aka The Flash and Tom Cavanagh, who may be playing any variation of Harrison Wells/Eobard Thawne since he frequently plays variants of himself & with the slight change to the Reverse Flash outfit hes worn on The Flash in the past, its safe to assume this is the Earth X version of him.

The Grant & Tom scene sees The Flash grab Toms character and throw him up against a wall.... after a moment or two of dialogue between the two, Barry lets the Tom Cavanagh character go. What does Toms character say to convince The Flash to let him go?

Throughout the day, various stunt scenes were being practiced, and executed at the set. While I was there a Black Canary and Mister Terrific VS Nazis scene took place.

I will have another blog post with photos of other stunt scenes including the Green Arrow, Wild Dog, and White Canary later, along with action scenes including Dominic Purcell & the much anticipated return of Wentworth Miller as Captain Cold.

10-17-2017-lot-x-over-9.jpg 10-17-2017-lot-x-over-205.jpg

10-17-2017-lot-x-over-207.jpg  10-17-2017-lot-x-over-219.jpg
10-17-2017-lot-x-over-62.jpg

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Marc Guggenheim on Whether 'Legends of Tomorrow' Could Revisit Connor Hawke
by Craig Byrne | October 23, 2017
http://comicbook.com/dc/2017/10/23/marc-guggenheim-on-whether-legends-of-tomorrow-could-revisit-con/

DC's Legends of Tomorrow travel to the future of the year 2042 and pick up a new team member in this week's new episode of the series which is titled "Zari" -- but with a character coming from 2042, and John Diggle having taken on the mantle of Green Arrow in Arrow Season 6, could this all lead to a return of Connor Hawke, as played by Joseph David-Jones in the well-received Legends Season 1 episode "Star City 2046?"

Following a press screening of the Legends of Tomorrow episode "Zari," we asked Executive Producer Marc Guggenheim that very question.

"It would be awesome," Guggenheim admits. "That's totally a bucket list item for us. We've talked about eventually going back there and seeing it. There are still a couple of different ideas that we have related to that time period, but nothing [solid is planned]."

Part of the reason that such an episode is not currently planned is that there are so many other things on the Legends' agenda -- though it does leave the door open for the future.

"We say this on Arrow where we do 23 episodes, but it's especially true on Legends where we are only doing 18: you run through the real estate really, really fast, so we always end every year with stories that we didn't get a chance to do," Guggenheim said.

After "Zari," the Legends will see themselves in an Spielberg-inspired 1980's setting in which, like E.T.'s Elliot, a young Ray Palmer befriends an alien that happens to be a baby Dominator. The episode will include a dance number and "a Billy Joel album is used as a weapon."

After that, upcoming episodes include a ghostly Victorian London story, a Coen Brothers-like "Golden Age of Hollywood" romp, Helen of Troy... and even Vikings in an episode now filming, titled "Beebo, The God of War." Legends will also be approaching a "no-time-period episode" which is something the series has not been done before.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

18 episodes is soon much, it allows them plenty of story to tell. It's one thing to try to get that actor back and it not working out scheduling wise this putting it in your bucket list but either your interested in doing it or your not. They've spent the last 3 years saying the same about Helena but they don't seem to actually be trying to make it a reality. 

• Love 1

I thought the guy who played J'onn's father on Supergirl was really good. I thought the guy who played Maggie's father was fairly wooden which brought down that plot for me. It seems really odd to give Maggie that big a backstory that gives a lot of additional insight into her personality when she's leaving 2 episodes from now. 

I'd like to see more of Supergirl jumping around on other planets if possible. While this episode wasn't perfect on account of being too exposition heavy, to me it was a good example of how it is just easier to have higher stakes if you have it set on a different planet with aliens and such. 

• Love 2

"Prison break ... I'm in."  LoT still has the best sense of humor of the Arrowverse*, although a lot of that is Purcell's delivery.

Why are Sara and Ray on the metahuman register?  They have no powers.  I don't think Mick does either. Is it because they consort with metahumans?

*except for the joke about Felicity running PT into the ground

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

"Prison break ... I'm in."  LoT still has the best sense of humor of the Arrowverse*, although a lot of that is Purcell's delivery.

Why are Sara and Ray on the metahuman register?  They have no powers.  I don't think Mick does either. Is it because they consort with metahumans?

*except for the joke about Felicity running PT into the ground

I'm going to blame Barry for the reason meta humans are outlawed. Since half the Legends aren't metas he's the one that fucks everything up all the time. 

Although I don't know why they would be on list, unless they are mean super heroes and are just using the term meta human. Maybe they consider Sara coming back from the dead a couple times a meta/magical power? Then with Ray they probably consider is suit a power. With Mick I don't know. I also suppose they would consider the ability to time travel a power. 

• Love 2

ARGUS huh?  Interesting.  Looks good - I think I'm going to like Zari.

25 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I wondered that myself.  And I completely thought Sara was about to take those guards on - wonder why she wants them to surrender?

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Miss Dee said:

My God, that Lord Mesa picture is pretty much Legends in a nutshell. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Tonight's episode of Supergirl was one of the best I've seen in a long time. Between J'onn and Maggie, I don't know whose story hurt me more. Thank God - and I mean this in all sincerity - thank God for Britney Spears.

Did they play a song by Queen Britney on the show?

1 hour ago, Velocity23 said:

Looks like bad times for metahumans after the year 2021 according to  Zaris timeline

New Flash poster

I love that poster. They need to do more like those, and give us some Arrow ones in general. 

• Love 3
On 10/23/2017 at 4:23 PM, Delphi said:

Because lord knows that even after keeping track of numerous television shows and the entire continuity of Arrowverse, Gotham and Lucifer, I would never ever be able to process the idea of three iterations of one character.

In this age of instant access to every version past and present of any show or movie, worrying about people being able to keep everything separate is even sillier. 

On 10/23/2017 at 5:23 PM, Delphi said:

Because lord knows that even after keeping track of numerous television shows and the entire continuity of Arrowverse, Gotham and Lucifer, I would never ever be able to process the idea of three iterations of one character.

It may be less about that, and more about DC not wanting to "dilute" the Batman brand. Especially in two current shows that are targeting a similar audience. I'm sure they've got other reasons, too.

Edited by Trini

So Joe's going to be a dad again? Wouldn't it be hilarious if they gave Joe another speedster son? Maybe Bart Allen or even the Tornado Twins? ???

Bart Allen West (because you know Joe would totally name his son after Barry)

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 8
52 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

Lets hope Barry won't be too jealous that his daddy will love the new baby more then him. 

Honestly, I have zero worries about that happening.  There will never be a reason for him to be jealous since Joe will always love Barry the most.  When Cecile told him he was going to be a dad and he just froze, freaked out, I could just imagine Joe saying in his head, "But it won't be Barry!"

Wally left after no one noticed he was gone all episode and when Cecile suggested Joe sell the house, only Barry got consulted about losing his childhood home.  Sorry Iris. But was anyone surprised?  

1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

So Joe's going to be a dad again? Wouldn't it be hilarious if they gave Joe another speedster son? Maybe Bart Allen or even the Tornado Twins? ???

Bart Allen West (because you know Joe would totally name his son after Barry)

This could really work.  Then they wouldn't need to burden Iris with the fake belly or force her constantly offscreen to be taking care of the kids.  They could even do something to age the kids or something and or would only need to use them when a storyline called for it and then send them offscreen where we don't have to worry about them. 

• Love 4

It's interesting. While I was watching Flash last week and last night, I noticed new names in the opening credits, Jonathan Butler & Gabriel Garza, as producers and they also wrote 402. Checking their previous stuff it looks like they mostly did kids' stuff and cartoons and now they made the jump to Flash, but as staff writers and producers immediately instead of just new staff writers. I was wondering if that might be part of Flash's intent to bring back the humor, but then couldn't remember if the other shows also added new people as well. I know LoT and Arrow both got at least one new writer (just blanking on if either of them also came out of the gate as a producer) but couldn't remember anything for Supergirl. Although I do remember Arrow added Speed Weed as producer and staff writer back in s4 IIRC. 

I didn't mind Flash's foray into goofiness, but they really need to be less hamfisted about it. That church scene...yowza. It was so out of character for Barry and Iris, and it was more cringy than funny in parts.

It made me realize that for all we laugh at how entertainly stupid the show is, the Legends writers really are pretty adroit for the most part with how they inject humour and goofiness into the show.

• Love 4

Last night's The Flash:

1) Poor Wally. Seriously. The guy went to ANOTHER EARTH and no one realized he was gone. I kept wondering throughout the episode where he was and why no one was asking him for help (especially, say, when Barry cuffed himself and ended up pinned beneath a sign) and no one even thought about him.

2) I can totally understand why Joe and Wally aren't at the crossover wedding for Barry and Iris after everything's over since Iris didn't even think to invite them or Barry to run and get them when they were going to get married at the church. 

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, way2interested said:

It's interesting. While I was watching Flash last week and last night, I noticed new names in the opening credits, Jonathan Butler & Gabriel Garza, as producers and they also wrote 402. Checking their previous stuff it looks like they mostly did kids' stuff and cartoons and now they made the jump to Flash, but as staff writers and producers immediately instead of just new staff writers. I was wondering if that might be part of Flash's intent to bring back the humor, but then couldn't remember if the other shows also added new people as well. I know LoT and Arrow both got at least one new writer (just blanking on if either of them also came out of the gate as a producer) but couldn't remember anything for Supergirl. Although I do remember Arrow added Speed Weed as producer and staff writer back in s4 IIRC. 

The Flash fired about 1/3 of its writing staff last season. Generally speaking, all in house writers on the Arrowverse shows double as producers - the only exceptions are people who write episodes on spec outside the writer's room.

The other shows seem to have pretty much kept their writing staffs, though I'm assuming they'll keep the practice of having one or two episodes per season written on spec.  If Arrow actually does go ahead with this misguided idea for a Black Lives Matter episode (I'm hoping not), that episode will supposedly be written by a new, outsider writer, for instance. 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, quarks said:

The Flash fired about 1/3 of its writing staff last season.

Ouch, didn't know that.

1 minute ago, quarks said:

Generally speaking, all in house writers on the Arrowverse shows double as producers - the only exceptions are people who write episodes on spec outside the writer's room.

The other shows seem to have pretty much kept their writing staffs, though I'm assuming they'll keep the practice of having one or two episodes per season written on spec.

Good for getting the double credit, didn't know that either. Although writing on spec usually comes to 1-2 episodes of normal shows in general, so yeah I'm assuming that as well. I guess it was the fact that unfamiliar writers popped up as the writers of the episode and popped up as producers as well. Like, at first I thought they were just freelancers but then seeing them as producers too threw me off like "wow, Flash is repopulating its writer's room."

13 minutes ago, quarks said:

The Flash fired about 1/3 of its writing staff last season.

About how many people is that? 3? 4? Fewer? Why fire the writers, wouldn't it be on the show runner if the season had sucked/failed? Were there any firings on Arrow after Season 4? 

I think MG said on Twitter they were bringing somebody in for BLM. 

Last nights Flash was probably the worst episode of that show. I felt like I was watching a cartoon. I guess run, Spot Barry, run is the better show. All the characters felt off too. I'm not surprised everyone forgot about Wally, he doesn't get do much, last episode Barry shot him and he was knocked out the whole fight. Maybe he should join the Legends, they know how utilize their team where everyone gets do something. Now they are giving Joe another kid, why? Of course Joe doesn't talk to Iris about selling the house, she only was there since her birth while Barry moved in as a 11 year old. Barry's opinion is always more important. 

Legends was great, Zari was the correct way to introduce a new character. Kuasa also seems like a formidable villain. 

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, way2interested said:

Good for getting the double credit, didn't know that either. Although writing on spec usually comes to 1-2 episodes of normal shows in general, so yeah I'm assuming that as well. I guess it was the fact that unfamiliar writers popped up as the writers of the episode and popped up as producers as well. Like, at first I thought they were just freelancers but then seeing them as producers too threw me off like "wow, Flash is repopulating its writer's room."

The writer/producer doubling seems to be another budget/cost saving thing - they have the writers working with the production/set/scheduling people to get a sense of what actually can be in the episode.  AK was talking about a season one episode where their set guys looked at the script and said, well, we can't do that, but maybe we could do this.

1 minute ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

About how many people is that? 3? 4? Fewer? Why fire the writers, wouldn't it be on the show runner if the season had sucked/failed? Were there any firings on Arrow after Season 4? 

I think MG said on Twitter they were bringing somebody in for BLM. 

Nobody on Arrow was fired after season 4. Well, KC was fired during the season before getting brought back, and presumably some crew/minor cast people either quit or were terminated.  Arrow did lose a couple of the camera guys after season five, but not the writers.

There's multiple reasons for this. One, the writers weren't responsible for the big thing that triggered the drop in the live numbers for season four: the Oliver/Felicity breakup. They just wrote the dialogue. (Badly, in my opinion, but that's a separate topic.) Two, they also weren't responsible for the other issue that plagued season four: the need to spend a good part of the first third of the season setting up another spinoff.  Three, overall, Arrow's season 4 numbers didn't look bad until the Oliver/Felicity breakup, and even then, as late as April, MG could still claim (and did on his Tumblr) that Arrow was one of only two shows that season across all networks that hadn't dropped in the demo. There were hints - as with the episode where the bee girl popped over to Arrow - that the numbers would recover. 

Meanwhile, the indications seem to be that Arrow viewers are still around - they're just choosing to watch through streaming, instead of live. That's an issue for the affiliates, but presumably not for WB, which is focused on overall revenue.

• Love 10

I don't keep up with Flash spoiler beyond what is mentioned here so I don't know what the plan for Joe and his SO but my reaction was that Joe was not happy at the pregnancy news and my thought was that  Joe had a vasectomy and thus he couldn't be the father hence his stunned face. Am I way off base with that?

I'm not surprised LoT for some reason started out with 2 really weak episodes. They should've started with last night's ep. 

I don't keep up with Flash spoiler beyond what is mentioned here so I don't know what the plan for Joe and his SO but my reaction was that Joe was not happy at the pregnancy news and my thought was that  Joe had a vasectomy and thus he couldn't be the father hence his stunned face. Am I way off base with that?

Joe was speechless when Cecile told him about the pregnancy, then it went to black. So I couldn't really get a read on what he thought. He's got three grown kids already, I just don't think he wants to be raising a baby again. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

Legends seem to have hit a low in viewers, Flash rises to a 1.0 

Fast-Demo-2017-Oct-24.TUE_.png

I'm curious to see what this week's unrounded numbers turn out to be, given the low viewers I wonder if it will be a very, very week 0.5?  

Unrounded Ep2 numbers (From Starfish in Arrow Ratings Thread)

The Flash 0.919

Supernatural 0.662

Riverdale 0.635

Arrow 0.539

Legends 0.488

Supergirl 0.486

I know I saw the unrounded numbers for Ep1 but, now I can't find them, my be they were posted in MYS instead of Arrow Ratings. I'll keep looking.

I'm now curious to see if Supergirl or LoT will hit 0.4 at some point this season.

8 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

When you say Flash gets a 1.0 which number are you looking at? The 3 sales demo rating numbers confuse me! 

The middle one, 18-49 demo.

I thought Flash and LOT have pretty much the same tone and that more people would stick around but LOT loses more than a million Flash viewers. 

@quarks, so how many writers did Flash fire last season? I don't know how many they have in the writers room so I wasn't sure what you meant about 1/3. And thanks for the Arrow insight. So, why did Flash fire its writers? And again, why fire the writers and not the show runner? As you mentioned in your reply about Arrow, they just write the dialogue.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I'm now curious to see if Supergirl or LoT will hit 0.4 at some point this season.

The DCTV shows all tend to lose at least 0.1 during the season, so I think a 0.4 is inevitable for LoT, Supergirl, and Arrow this year. I think the only question is who will get there first.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

The DCTV shows all tend to lose at least 0.1 during the season, so I think a 0.4 is inevitable for LoT, Supergirl, and Arrow this year. I think the only question is who will get there first.

Yeah, actually that is probably the key point, who hits that 0.4 first.

11 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

The half hours for LOT were 0.5/0.4. That means LOT went under 0.450 at half time

I wonder if that is a result of viewers clicking over for the World Series. It was a close game.

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

, so how many writers did Flash fire last season? I don't know how many they have in the writers room so I wasn't sure what you meant about 1/3. And thanks for the Arrow insight. So, why did Flash fire its writers? And again, why fire the writers and not the show runner? As you mentioned in your reply about Arrow, they just write the dialogue.

Either seven or eight.

With Flash, the issue seems to have been that Flash genuinely lost viewers last season - not just live viewers, but overall viewers.  Meanwhile, their live numbers dipped below the season-to-season comparison with Arrow - after two years of consistently beating Arrow in a season to season comparison. And although the CW and WB keep chatting about STREAMING STREAMING OH YEAH BABY WE ARE STREAMING, they have notably not made this same statement about Flash. That situation hasn't improved yet - I just checked again, and more viewers bought Amazon season streaming passes for Arrow, Riverdale and Supernatural than for Flash - even though all three of those shows have lower live numbers. It's not all bad news - season three of Flash is currently outselling season five of Arrow on Amazon on both DVD and Blu-Ray, for instance, and Flash moves merchandise (T-shirts, mugs etc).  But it's not great news either - Flash lost overall revenue. Arrow seemingly didn't. Thus the different fates. 

There's also another factor - with Arrow, it's very easy to pinpoint just when the live numbers took the plunge and stayed plunged: the Oliver/Felicity breakup. With Flash, there doesn't seem to have been any specific trigger/episode.

And Arrow sent more writers off to Legends of Tomorrow than Flash did, so they'd already sorta had the staff writer turnover that often happens after season 3 of any TV show, regardless of numbers.

• Love 14