Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

It's weird because Mon El annoyed me so much when he first started out. Actually the combination of Mon El and Kara annoyed me early on. Nate I was meh about. He didn't offend me but I didn't care about him.

By the end of the season I found myself quite liking Mon El and resenting Nate for splitting up the Mick/Ray bromance and for sometimes being a VERY VERY poor man's version of my darling Ray. 

• Love 3

I think Nate had all the signs of a network pet at the beginning but by the end of the season he was no longer the Golden Boy of the show. 

He didn't give me a network vibe at all, most like somebody the writers/at least one writer loves. Respectively as what does an EP count in this context? 

If Klemmer says: "I loved having Nate Heywood’s discovery in Season 2. I always related to a more coming-of-age, Spider-Man type story. I guess I’m still into somebody who’s just trying to understand what their purpose is with these powers. To me, that’s juicy."

That sounds like very personal fondness for the character. 

I also didn't think that he became more or less golden. He always was a bit of a screwup character and once he started dating Amaya that became a fairly significant part of the finale. 

At the most the ancient Japan episode where he goes all Captain Kirk on the character of the week gave me a larger vibe, but then again, other Legends characters have had episodes like this. 

To me the beginning of the season was more like his tryout phase, where they were introducing him and his powers, but him dating Amaya was them settling as "okay, this is where the character is going, this is his status within the show". 

Titans’: Anna Diop Cast As Starfire

Interesting, she is 29, but not super baby faced. By comparison the actress who plays Raven is apparently 13? I wonder if the rest of the Titans will fall close to Starfire or to Raven in actor range. (if it is more that Raven will be the "baby" of the group or Starfire will be one of the "parents" or whether she will play vastly below her age).

Edited by tofutan

Glenn Ficarra and John Requa, best known for the 2011 romantic comedy Crazy Stupid Love — starring eventual La La Land leads Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling — will be directing a Suicide Squad spin-off about the love story between the Joker and Harley Quinn.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the film is being described internally as “a criminal love story,” “an insane and twisted love story,” and “When Harry Met Sally on benzedrine.” The third statement is particularly interesting, given that When Harry Met Sally is a movie about a pair of platonic friends facing the ups and downs of life in New York in the 1980s together and eventually forging a romantic connection based on 10 years of emotional intimacy. Is that canon for the Joker and Harley Quinn love story? Wouldn’t it be kind of fun if it was? Is it possible that whoever said that has not actually seen When Harry Met Sally?

In any case, the movie is untitled and will be released after the upcoming Suicide Squad sequel, which does not yet have a director attached. Jared Leto and Margot Robbie will reprise their roles and the film will be part of DC’s cinematic universe, but so will another Joker spin-off, directed by The Hangover’s Todd Phillips and starring a so-far-unknown actor.

I think the next Marvel show should have Elektra as lead. She's too big of a character to be on Daredevil and honestly the further away she is from Matt, the better for me. She tends to make Matt incredibly insufferable for me...

But I also love Misty so that'd be great too!

1 hour ago, Velocity23 said:

Glenn Ficarra and John Requa, best known for the 2011 romantic comedy Crazy Stupid Love — starring eventual La La Land leads Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling — will be directing a Suicide Squad spin-off about the love story between the Joker and Harley Quinn.

I thought Crazy Stupid Love was a smart and funny movie so I'm interested in this.  Give me more than fights and bad plotting.

Interesting that they're only going to release it after the next Suicide Squad movie which doesn't even have a director attached  yet. I didn't think the first Suicide Squad movie did well enough to justify a sequal.

• Love 1

Really hoping Marvel gives Misty Knight  her own show or at least does "Daughters of the Dragon". I enjoy Elektra but i agree with JJ928, i don't think she needs her own show since she pretty much got her origins told on DD and TD and it's best to keep using her as a char that pops up here and there outside of DD. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, JJ928 said:

I'm crossing my fingers that new Marvel show has Misty Knight as the lead.

I don't see any of the characters on the Netflix shows getting their own show on ABC. They'll remain in the Netflix universe IMO.

• Love 2

Spoilers for Supergirl and FLash

Do you have more scoop on The Flash‘s girls night out? — Peach
That episode won’t be the only girl power we’ll be seeing this year. “We’re definitely going to see Iris’ relationship with Caitlin especially developed this season, which we haven’t seen before, which will be really nice for fans,” Candice Patton tells me. “Fans have been wanting to see more female dynamic on the show, and there will definitely be that. They’re working closely together. Caitlin has been through so much herself in relationships, and I think if anyone can offer advice, it would be her, so she’s there quite often to give Iris advice on her relationship with Barry and how to move forward.”

Would love some SuperCorp scoop for Supergirl. — Jay
Here’s some good news and some bad news: “Lena and Kara’s friendship will continue to grow,” EP Andrew Kreisberg says. “There’s a lot of Lena-Kara adventures early on in this season. The most interesting thing about Lena is that she is so good, and so moral, and believes in second chances, but she comes from this family of truly evil people. As people are going to realize over the course of this season, it doesn’t take much to make you bad. People don’t just turn evil. They do one small bad thing and then that leads to another, and then to another, and so any time you’re watching Lena, you’re always wondering, ‘Is this the moment when she does the one small thing?'”

http://ew.com/tv/2017/08/24/spoiler-room-greys-anatomy-supernatural-flash/

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

Caitlin has been through so much herself in relationships, and I think if anyone can offer advice, it would be her, so she’s there quite often to give Iris advice on her relationship with Barry and how to move forward.”

Wow, the only tease they have about this ~friendship is Barry. Amazing.

• Love 16

Why do I feel like we're only going to see Caitlin and Iris' friendship until Barry returns? And then it'll go back to how it's been in the past? So maybe one or two scenes in the premiere so they can point to those scenes when they decide to have Caitlin as Iris' maid of honor? And then they'll use that - that Caitlin is Iris' maid of honor - to go "see, female friendship!" 

• Love 2

TV Guide Spoilers (editing several times as my browser will erase what I've written if I don't save between going back and forth):

Arrow

Premieres: Thursday, Oct. 12 at 9/8c

Where We Left Off: After forcing Oliver (Stephen Amell) into a Sophie's Choicesituation on Lian Yu -- save his son or the rest of his friends and loved ones -- Adrian Chase (Josh Segarra) killed himself and triggered hundreds of explosives on the island, thus leaving the fates of most of the characters up in the air.

The Scoop: Unfortunately, fans will have to wait a little while to find out who lived and who died from Chase's explosions. "It's a slow reveal," teases executive producer Marc Guggenheim. "We're going to intercut between the present, which is five months after the finale, and flashbacks that take us to the minutes right before and right after the finale."

Although we'll have to wait to find out the fates of several beloved characters, including Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) and Thea (Willa Holland), Manu Bennett is confirmed to return as Slade Wilson, aka Deathstroke, who reprised the role late last season. He'll be joined by two new actors who have signed on to the series for Season 6: Fringe star Kirk Acevedo and Lost and Person of Interest alum Michael Emerson. Acevedo will play the villainous Ricardo Diaz -- whose name comics fans will recognize as an alias for Richard Dragon, one of the Green Arrow's villains -- while Emerson's role is being kept under wraps.

Elsewhere on Arrow, we'll see a bit of a role reversal between Oliver and Diggle, as the latter deals with some real secrets of his own, and Dinah (Juliana Harkavy) will embrace her role as the new Black Canary, as she and Black Siren (Katie Cassidy) hash out their differences.

DC's Legends of Tomorrow (The CW)

Premieres: Tuesday, Oct. 10 at 8/7c

Where We Left Off: The legends broke the cardinal rule that forbade them from interacting with their past selves. That created a time storm, which now has dinosaurs stomping around futuristic buildings in 2017. 

The Scoop: Season 3 will find them desperately trying to clean up one complicated mess. As they deal with that time hiccup, the team will also have to worry about a new villain, Kuasa (Tracy Ifeachor), who's appeared in The CW Seed's animated series Vixen. She is Mari McCabe's (Megalyn Echikunwoke) sister as well as the former guardian of the totem, which bestows animal powers upon its owner. Plus, she can do some serious damage with water. "She's a water witch, so she's a bad, badass witch," Caity Lotz says.

"Kuasa has the power of water, so she can kind of just evaporate herself in a way," adds Brandon Routh. "[She can] become water and then form right beside you, so it's a very hard target to kind of hit."

The Flash (The CW)

Premieres: Tuesday, Oct. 10 at 8/7c

Where We Left Off: Savitar, who was revealed to be a Barry Allen (Grant Gustin) from the future, was stopped, while present timeline Barry Allen volunteered to take Jay Garrick's (John Wesley Shipp) place in the Speed Force. Meanwhile, after an entire season spent focused on Iris' (Candice Patton) impending death, Barry's lady love didn't die because H.R. (Tom Cavanagh) died in her place after a face switcheroo.

The Scoop: After a six-month time jump, The Flash will return with a "hardened" Iris leading Team Flash in Barry's absence and its first non-speedster villain in the Thinker, played by Neil Sandilands. But fans should not expect more of the same doom and gloom of the previous season. "The first couple scripts we have [for Season 4] are really funny," says executive producer Todd Helbing, who notes Season 3 is as dark as they ever want to take the show. "It's a conscious effort to dial it back a little bit on the darkness and have everybody embrace the lightness and the fun of The Flash."

Unfortunately, Team Flash will be down a member in Season 4, as Tom Felton, who played Julian Albert, is not returning as a series regular. However, fans might not even notice (no offense to Tom!) because there are several new faces joining the cast. In addition to Sandilands, the new class includes Danny Trejo as Breacher, the father of Cisco's (Carlos Valdes) girlfriend Gypsy (Jessica Camacho); Kim Engelbrecht as the Mechanic; and Hartley Sawyer as Ralph Dibny, aka the Elongated Man.

Supergirl

Premieres: Monday, Oct. 9 at 8/7c.

Where We Left Off: Kara (Melissa Benoist) was able to stop the Daxamite attack on Earth, but she had to sacrifice Mon-El (Chris Wood) to do it. Last we saw, the former prince of Daxam was leaving Earth only to get swallowed into a vortex leading to places unknown. Romance wasn't dead everywhere though, since Season 2 ended with Alex (Chyler Leigh) proposing to Maggie (Floriana Lima).

The Scoop: A new villain, Reign (Odette Annable), will be making a splash in National City when Season 3 premieres, and she won't just be your typical black and white villain. It sounds like we should plan to invest some serious emotion into her, which frankly, is the best kind of villain. Other scoop includes the news that Cat Grant (Calista Flockhart) will stick around for the Season 3 premiere, and Alura, Kara's mother, has been recast with Smallville alum Erica Durance.

Last one, thank God. This iPad is a piece of shit. No joking, the TV Guide site where Ingot this crashed on me literally over 100 times before I managed to get these posted. From now on I'm leaving the posting of stories to @tv echo.

Edited by Miss Dee
My iPad is a piece of shit.
  • Love 12
21 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

broadcast? Do they have enough material for broadcast?  I thought each season altogether was like 30 minutes.

Not even just broadcast, but that premiere special is TWO HOURS. Are they talking to the show runners for 1:45 or what?

2 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

I didn't watch the video - I'm not able to right now.  But they said they were going to a two hour special with Vixen? 

They said, "Tiffany Smith hosts the team behind the CW's most super shows for the CW's two-hour broadcast premiere." It doesn't say exactly how long the Vixen part of it is.

• Love 1

There isn't new footage. Both "seasons" of Vixen were about a half hour. So I figure the 2 hours will be about 60 minutes for Vixen, and about 40 minutes of commercials, leaving 20 minutes for the producers. Five minutes per show? It'll probably be closer to 3 minutes or less for actual info.

Here's hoping we at least get some new promos.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Friendship scenes of Caitlin giving Iris advice about her relationship with Barry = major Bechdel fail.  As usual.

I think what they're trying to do is shove an Iris/Caitlin friendship in there fast so that it's at least somewhat more believable for Caitlin to be the maid-of-honor at the wedding, otherwise Iris won't have one. And that would be awkward because it would be admitting the show hasn't ever bothered to make their only two female regulars even interact enough for that to be the case.

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 5
43 minutes ago, Trini said:

Here's hoping we at least get some new promos.

There was a newish promo during Arrow last night of all of the DC shows. It had new shots from all of the shows (Oliver jumping off of the bridge, Iris being in charge, Supergirl having her "Supergirl" day, and part of a scene with Wally taking down some thugs and Nate berating him about it, so I guess there's going to be some small crossover for LoT?). It was only like 30s long and for all of the shows, so I'm hoping for a new one per show as well.

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, way2interested said:

There was a newish promo during Arrow last night of all of the DC shows. It had new shots from all of the shows (Oliver jumping off of the bridge, Iris being in charge, Supergirl having her "Supergirl" day, and part of a scene with Wally taking down some thugs and Nate berating him about it, so I guess there's going to be some small crossover for LoT?). It was only like 30s long and for all of the shows, so I'm hoping for a new one per show as well.

Interesting! I'm guessing it's Nate briefly crossing over to Flash; because so far, Flash characters rarely show up on the Guggenheim shows.

5 minutes ago, Trini said:

I'm guessing it's Nate briefly crossing over to Flash; because so far, Flash characters rarely show up on the Guggenheim shows.

I was more thinking Wally was going to cameo on LoT. Cisco (in a hallucination), Barry (future Barry's voice, which ended up being a slight plot point), Thawne, the Black Flash, and characters that originated on Flash are all from Flash, plus I would think they would take a character from a more popular show to a less popular show rather than the other way around and has there been a time where a LoT character actually crossed over to another show (besides WM and JB who had those "multi-show contracts") rather than the other way around?

24 minutes ago, way2interested said:

I was more thinking Wally was going to cameo on LoT. Cisco (in a hallucination), Barry (future Barry's voice, which ended up being a slight plot point), Thawne, the Black Flash, and characters that originated on Flash are all from Flash, plus I would think they would take a character from a more popular show to a less popular show rather than the other way around and has there been a time where a LoT character actually crossed over to another show (besides WM and JB who had those "multi-show contracts") rather than the other way around?

Of course, it could be the other way around. Sorry, I meant the Flash regulars. So far only Cisco has appeared briefly as a hallucination on Legends. From Arrow, Oliver, Laurel, and Felicity have had more significant appearances on Legends.

There haven't been any statements indicating that LoT's time aberrations will affect Arrow and The Flash, have there? Considering that the Flashpoint had to affect Arrow, I find it funny that dinosaurs roaming modern day metropolis doesn't affect other shows on the same Earth.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Miss Dee said:

TV Guide Spoilers (editing several times as my browser will erase what I've written if I don't save between going back and forth):

Last one, thank God. This iPad is a piece of shit. No joking, the TV Guide site where Ingot this crashed on me literally over 100 times before I managed to get these posted. From now on I'm leaving the posting of stories to @tv echo.

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to post all that. I don't know how you managed to do it on an iPad! I use a laptop and still sometimes want to throw it at the wall.  Here's the individual links (for anyone who's interested)...

Arrow - http://www.tvguide.com/galleries/2017-returning-fall-shows/2/
LoT - http://www.tvguide.com/galleries/2017-returning-fall-shows/16/
Flash - http://www.tvguide.com/galleries/2017-returning-fall-shows/21/
Supergirl - http://www.tvguide.com/galleries/2017-returning-fall-shows/56/

• Love 1

This article was too long to quote much...

15 Alternate Arrowverse Costumes The CW Doesn’t Want You To See
August 24, 2017  Brian Cronin
http://www.cbr.com/arrowverse-costumes-cw-does-not-want-you-to-see/

The process of creating the awesome costumes that we get to see every week on the “Arrowverse” series of TV shows (Arrow, Flash, Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow) is a complicated one. It starts with a designer coming up with the idea of the costume and then a concept design artists drawing that design into an official concept design. That concept design is then adapted into the actual costume that they use on the show. Academy Award-winning costume designer Colleen Atwood famously designed the main costumes for Arrow, Flash and Supergirl, but for the day-to-day costume design work, Maya Mani is the costume designer on Arrow, Flash and Legends of Tomorrow while Kiersten Ronning is the costume designer on Supergirl. Andy Poon is the main concept illustrator for Arrow, Flash and Legends of Tomorrow, but John Gallagher also does some concept illustrations for Flash. Meanwhile, Alan Villanueva does concept illustrations for Supergirl.

Generally speaking, you would be amazed at just how on point these concept designs are. They seem like they are practically photographs, that’s how perfectly they are typically translated from the concept design to the actual TV costumes. However, sometimes there are changes along the way (some more major than others). Here are 15 Arrowverse costume designs that did not make it into the actual TV series.

15. SUPERGIRL
14. CAPTAIN COLD
13. CANARY
12. JESSE QUICK
11. REVERSE FLASH
10. NYSSA AL GHUL
9. ZOOM
8. LIVEWIRE
7. MULTIPLEX
6. GIRDER
5. ARSENAL
4. REVERSE FLASH II
3. ALCHEMY
2. BLACK SIREN
1. RIVAL

Changes to Leggings:
supergirl-2.jpg?auto=format&cs=tinysrgb&

No Mask vs. Mask (also, changes to jacket):
canary.jpg?auto=format&cs=tinysrgb&q=20&

Extra Accoutrements:
nyssa-al-ghul.jpg?auto=format&cs=tinysrg

Mask vs. No Mask (also, changes to bustier):
black-siren.jpg?auto=format&cs=tinysrgb&

Edited by tv echo

I maintain every major crossover needs at least 15 straight minutes of Our Heroes doing nothing but hanging out and bonding over stupid shit and teasing each other. Whole group, small groups, tete-a-tetes - whatever, just as long as they're not segregated by show. Oh, and Mick interacts with Kara at least once.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, tv echo said:

This article was too long to quote much...

15 Alternate Arrowverse Costumes The CW Doesn’t Want You To See
August 24, 2017  Brian Cronin
http://www.cbr.com/arrowverse-costumes-cw-does-not-want-you-to-see/

15. SUPERGIRL
14. CAPTAIN COLD
13. CANARY
12. JESSE QUICK
11. REVERSE FLASH
10. NYSSA AL GHUL
9. ZOOM
8. LIVEWIRE
7. MULTIPLEX
6. GIRDER
5. ARSENAL
4. REVERSE FLASH II
3. ALCHEMY
2. BLACK SIREN
1. RIVAL

Changes to Leggings:
supergirl-2.jpg?auto=format&cs=tinysrgb&

Mask vs. No Mask (also, changes to bustier):
black-siren.jpg?auto=format&cs=tinysrgb&

I like both those changes.  Supergirl doesn't look like a naughty cheerleader any more.  And it's interesting that they canned the mask on Black Siren, wanting everyone to know right away that this is another Laurel.