Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

2 minutes ago, leopardprint said:

Aren't the arrows all CGI? ?

Okay rephrase Stephen (and David) dont need cgi to look believable at snapping someone in half unlike all those other heroes.

Better? :)

Edited by LeighAn
  • Love 1

Honestly, if they want to treat the 4 crossover hours as an extended Dr. Who Christmas special - one entity, all four cast and crew working on the entire miniseries - I'm all for it. I don't need each show to feel like a normal episode of itself; in fact, I think it would be better if the crossovers had their own tone that remained consistent throughout all the series.

On a different note altogether: if they were to incorporate Black Lightning into the Arrowverse, it makes the most sense to me to inaugurate it by having Oliver end up in BL's world somehow. Oliver is the most grounded of the heroes and the best fit to what seems to be BL's grittier, more realistic tone. I also think his maturity would best understand BL's world and the struggles he faces. And as a father himself Oliver can bond with BL that way as well.

Edited by Miss Dee
Spelling
  • Love 8

Spoiler Room: Scoop on Game of Thrones, The Flash, Supergirl, and more
NATALIE ABRAMS AUGUST 3, 2017 
http://ew.com/tv/2017/08/03/spoiler-room-game-thrones-flash-supergirl/

What do you have on Barry’s return to The Flash? — Lyle
Apparently, not everyone will be on board with how to go about getting Barry back. “I wish I could say that the team unanimously agrees that things are not the same when the season starts, but not everybody feels that way,” Carlos Valdes tells me. “Most of the energy on the team is toward getting Barry back, and Cisco may or may not have some things up his sleeve with regards with how to make that happen, but there is a member of the team that’s not on board, and that ultimately makes the mission to get Barry back a lot more difficult. But the thing about Cisco is if he wants to get his friends back, he will do whatever it takes the get his friends back — and that’s not just Barry.” Hmmm…

With Floriana Lima not sticking around as a regular, is there any hope you can give for Sanvers on Supergirl? — Cheryl
Yes, Floriana Lima won’t be a series regular next season, but the Supergirl bosses hope to keep her around as much as possible. So in the plus column, it really does sound like her character won’t meet a grim fate. “Maggie is welcome to come back any time she’s free,” EP Jessica Queller says. “We love Sanvers and we’re very sad that Floriana is not available full time this season.” EP Robert Rovner adds: “We love this relationship we’ve created. With that, we’re going to be telling a modern day love story that really honors their relationship that hopefully will resonate and I think will be very satisfying. Hopefully, she will come join us [again]. The door is always open for Floriana Lima.”
Love that Grodd is coming to Legends of Tomorrow. Any scoop? — Marcus
As teased at TCA, Gorilla Grodd will be part of a group of villains terrorizing the Legends — which also include Kuasa and Damien Darhk — that are organized much like the Legion of Doom, but TPTB are keeping further details under wraps. “I have a name for them that I would love to see referenced on the show,” EP Marc Guggenheim says. “But like the Legion of Doom, we have to figure out a way to get it in there.”

'Legends of Tomorrow': Maisie Richardson-Sellers Real-Life Mom to Play Mysterious Woman From Vixen's Past
Damian Holbrook August 03, 2017 10:51 am
https://www.tvinsider.com/325149/legends-of-tomorrow-vixen-maisie-richardson-sellers-joy-richardson/

Vixen fans are going to find out that badassery runs in the family on DC's Legends of Tomorrow when Amaya (Maisie Richardson-Sellers) comes face-to-face with a woman from her past. Even cooler? The unnamed role is being played by Richardson-Sellers' own mom, actress Joy Richardson.
The ladies are set to share the screen in an early episode of Season 3 when Amaya heads off on on a vision quest after the mystical totem that allows her to channel animal spirits begins to go haywire. On this journey, she encounters an unnamed ancestor (Richardson), who shares with Amaya both the ancient wisdom of all those who have gone before her and an unsettling tidbit about her future: turns out her totem isn’t malfunctioning, it's growing more powerful as a response to an equally powerful evil on the rise.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Yesterday's EW Superhero Insider podcast with Kyle Anderson and Natalie Abrams (from TCA Summer Press Tour) - nothing new that hasn't been reported previously, except for Kyle's interview with the cast of Black Lightning...

• Love 1

More from Mark Pedowitz on the future of The CW...

The CW President Confident The Network Will Be Around ‘A Long Time’
By Kevin Yeoman  16 hours ago
http://screenrant.com/the-cw-president-mark-pedowitz-tca-arrow-the-flash/

The second broadcast network at bat was The CW. Earlier this year, at the winter TCAs, the younger-skewing, DC Comics-fueled network was one of few to hold an executive session, essentially putting the person in charge in the hot seat. Earlier in the week, a line of questions faced by CBS execs Kelly Kahl and Thom Sherman offered a pretty good example of why some networks may have avoided the Q&A sessions in the previous tour, as the two were grilled with questions concerning the lack of diversity in their network’s programming.

But executive sessions can also offer up intriguing insight into the state of the industry, as seen by those who are essentially on the front lines. That much was made clear by TBS and TNT president Kevin Reilly, when he offered those in attendance something to chew on, intimating a contraction of television through greater consolidation of media outlets and fewer channels. During his Q&A session, Pedowitz was asked about Reilly’s comments, and as far as The CW boss is concerned, his network is not in any danger of going anywhere.
“Well, all I can tell you is for many years since I’ve been in the industry, from a broadcasting point of view, they’ve been saying broadcasting is dead. It’s far from dead.

I think cable is going through whatever contraction. We’ve seen this before Kevin [Reilly] came out and spoke about it. You saw Viacom announcing they were looking at what their priority services were going to be. We’ve seen Discovery discuss it. There will be contraction. It’s just the nature of the beast.

But the one thing I am confident of is that the way The CW is situated today as a multi‑platform player, it’s going to be around for a hell of a long time.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

‘Titans’: Teagan Croft Cast As Raven In Live-Action Series For DC Digital Service
by Nellie Andreeva • August 3, 2017 2:27pm
http://deadline.com/2017/08/titans-teagan-croft-cast-raven-greg-berlanti-dc-digital-series-1202142006/

EXCLUSIVE: Australian newcomer Teagan Croft has landed one of the leads, the series regular role of Raven, in the new live-action series Titans, from Greg Berlanti, Akiva Goldsman, Geoff Johns, Sarah Schechter and Warner Bros TV. The series is slated to premiere in 2018 as one of the first series that will launch a DC-branded direct-to-consumer digital service.

Written by Goldsman (Star Trek: Discovery), DC Entertainment president and chief creative officer Johns (The Flash, Arrow) and Berlanti (Arrow, DC’s Legends Of Tomorrow, The Flash, Supergirl), Titans follows a group of young soon-to-be superheroes recruited from every corner of the DC Universe. In the action-adventure series, Dick Grayson emerges from the shadows to become the leader of a fearless band of new heroes that includes Starfire, Raven and others.

Croft’s Raven, described as the daughter of a demon, is a powerful empath who must keep her emotions in check or risk unleashing her demonic side.
The 13-year-old Croft stars in the upcoming Australian film The Osiris Child. Titans will mark her U.S. debut. She’s repped by UTA, Circle of Confusion and Meissner Management.

teagan-croft-raven-character.jpg?w=446&h

Edited by tv echo

Ha, yeah it was. And I do get why they're making these choices in theory (differentiate from the other superhero shows, couples bring more buzz, etc.), it's just that those choices are way more polarizing than anything I've seen on the other shows (not matter what is said, I can't really believe that Iris or Felicity are actually as polarizing as Mon-el), so I feel like the show thinks it has to double down on its new identity now even though it might turn away viewers. I get that all shows have to make that decision, but it seems more evident here, with purposefully pushed political themes that usually turn people from both sides away and a character that even someone at the TCAs openly condemned.

• Love 3

I actually wonder if them keeping Mon-el around has something to do with Melissa and Chris's real life relationship. That was the reason her ex-husband guest starred, right? If they broke up, would they suddenly send Mon-el away?

I bet they would.

• Love 1

Apparently it's rumored that Maggie will be deported.... which is......... not great considering the character has been white washed. Add to that the rumors that Kara will kiss Lena at some point in the first 3 episodes which won't help because that's just major queerbaiting). 

Hope none of that is true but if it is shame on Kreisberg/Supergirl/CW/DC

Edited by wonderwall
4 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

Apparently it's rumored that Maggie will be deported.... which is......... not great considering the character has been white washed. Add to that the rumors that Kara will kiss Lena at some point in the first 3 episodes which won't help because that's just major queerbaiting). 

Woah, where did you see those rumors?

Ha, yeah it was. And I do get why they're making these choices in theory (differentiate from the other superhero shows, couples bring more buzz, etc.), it's just that those choices are way more polarizing than anything I've seen on the other shows (not matter what is said, I can't really believe that Iris or Felicity are actually as polarizing as Mon-el), so I feel like the show thinks it has to double down on its new identity now even though it might turn away viewers. I get that all shows have to make that decision

I get why they aren't getting get rid of Mon-el but I hope they don't think there was no issues with how they used the character last year. Even many tv critics complained about his excessive screentime and the writing for his relationship with Kara. 

I agree about the political stuff. It was poorly done and subtle as a sledgehammer. And Trump isn't even president in this universe so some of those references make no sense and take me out of the show. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, wonderwall said:

Kara kissing Lena is from a fake TVLine article complete with spelling mistakes. 

I actually wonder if them keeping Mon-el around has something to do with Melissa and Chris's real life relationship. That was the reason her ex-husband guest starred, right? If they broke up, would they suddenly send Mon-el away?

I bet they would.

It has nothing to do with that. He was hired before he and Melissa met and back in November 2016, he spoke of his character's arc into Season 3. So it's always been a long planned arc and they aren't going to fire their actor just because some people on the internet don't like what was written for him.

Edited by Xander
  • Love 1

My issue with Mon-El is it became the Mon-El show guest starring Supergirl. So seeing the EP's patting themselves on the backs about their girl power show is annoying. They had a show about a woman and turned it into another white male hero redemption story. 

• Love 3

Mon-El had a lot of screen time but he still had far less screen time than Kara and less than Alex.  Here are stats according to one source. So it was never the Mon-El show. However, with CADMUS being dropped as the big bad and Mon-El's mother becoming it in the final third of the season, I can understand why some people may think that. 

Regardless, he's in a wormhole and we'll just have to see how it plays out this season. Reign is the big bad so from what we know so far, he won't be as tied to the A plot. 

Edited by Xander
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, ruby24 said:

I bet they would.

I doubt it, if they think the relationship is popular and bringing them buzz (regardless of the backlash).  They didn't end Delena on TVD when Nina and Ian broke up.  

23 hours ago, lemotomato said:

This makes me want to take back any criticism I had of the Arrow stunts team. 

My favorite exchange in the comments:

Ha! I just saw this come up on twitter: 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, way2interested said:

Ha, yeah it was. And I do get why they're making these choices in theory (differentiate from the other superhero shows, couples bring more buzz, etc.), it's just that those choices are way more polarizing than anything I've seen on the other shows (not matter what is said, I can't really believe that Iris or Felicity are actually as polarizing as Mon-el), so I feel like the show thinks it has to double down on its new identity now even though it might turn away viewers. I get that all shows have to make that decision, but it seems more evident here, with purposefully pushed political themes that usually turn people from both sides away and a character that even someone at the TCAs openly condemned.

I read recently,  it might have been on here or not,  I read toomuch online to actually be sure, that many of the more liberal of Hollywood (of which Greg undoubtedly is) find that they can't help themselves but to continue to be political in light of current situations.   They consider themselves blessed to be in a position where they can reach thousands of people and consider it morally bankrupt and socially irresponsible to stay silent and to try to normalize current situations.   I don't see political themes leaving anytime soon. 

In regards to Titans,  I worry that the lack of mention of Babs means she's been pulled from the show due to the Batgirl movie,  and I'll be hugely disappointed if that's the case and probably won't tune into the show without her. 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Xander said:

It has nothing to do with that. He was hired before he and Melissa met and back in November 2016, he spoke of his character's arc into Season 3. So it's always been a long planned arc and they aren't going to fire their actor just because some people on the internet don't like what was written for him.

Do you have the reference for Woods talking about s3 in November?  That was very early to decide that Mon El was a keeper.  His redemption hadn't started yet, he was still the boozy frat boy avoiding responsibility.  (I think of Chris Woods like KC - for some reason I can't fathom, the network/EPs love them and hang on to them.)  I agree with @way2interested that Mon El is far more polarizing than Felicity because Felicity polarizes primarily the comic book readers while Mon El polarizes all the viewers.

Looking at the Mon El arc, it's clear that Mon El was meant to be the big arc of s2 but it was written in a way that Mon El would leave forever and stay in whatever place he went to if they didn't like him.  It even looked like they were keeping James in the background if Mon El didn't work as Kara's love interest -- everyone got a love interest by Valentine's Day except for James.  The news that James will get a love interest in s3 is the nail in the Kara/James coffin.

Speaking of James, it's interesting that in terms of screentime in s2, he got half of what he had in s1, only slightly more than Maggie and Lena, both of whom were recurring characters. They really mucked up that character.

15 hours ago, Delphi said:

I read recently,  it might have been on here or not,  I read toomuch online to actually be sure, that many of the more liberal of Hollywood (of which Greg undoubtedly is) find that they can't help themselves but to continue to be political in light of current situations.   They consider themselves blessed to be in a position where they can reach thousands of people and consider it morally bankrupt and socially irresponsible to stay silent and to try to normalize current situations.   I don't see political themes leaving anytime soon.

You can see the frustration in the tweets of the EPs so it's not surprising they're taking advantage of the platform.

I'm old, I can remember when TV shows took a political stand instead of being afraid of offending the complacent.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 3

My problem with Supergirl and the "political" storylines isn't so much that they exist, because I understand the writers feel they have a platform and it's certainly not a new thing for TV shows to do this. My problem is the writers act like kids who've just taken their first social studies course and just discovered all these issues exist and were running around, jumping up and down yelling about Big Important Stuff. Sometimes as in the case of the global warming episode, they completely stop the plot just to make sure you've got the message. But it's written in such a way that I can't imagine it changing anyone's mind and it ends up annoying people who *do* agree with them. It also doesn't help (for me personally) that they had an interesting storyline last year about how the media shapes perceptions of people, with Cat literally feeling she created Supergirl and could destroy her if she wanted to. I know they lost Cat but it's a much more topical storyline for James than running around as a wannabe 3rd rate Oliver Queen

Likewise with the Arrow gun control PSA. Arrow was probably the wrong show for it in the first place, but the characters sat around debating it, not bringing any of their character's experiences from the show into it ala Felicity in a way that might be interesting and showcase their characters as more than mouth pieces spouting the same old arguments someone copied and pasted from blandtalkingpointsrus.org. Then they write the most meaningless piece of legislation that satisfies and helps no one. The End. And it's never brought up again. It's how they tend to write these things that's the problem.

• Love 21
4 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Do you have the reference for Woods talking about s3 in November?  That was very early to decide that Mon El was a keeper.  His redemption hadn't started yet, he was still the boozy frat boy avoiding responsibility.  (I think of Chris Woods like KC - for some reason I can't fathom, the network/EPs love them and hang on to them.)  I agree with @way2interested that Mon El is far more polarizing than Felicity because Felicity polarizes primarily the comic book readers while Mon El polarizes all the viewers.

Looking at the Mon El arc, it's clear that Mon El was meant to be the big arc of s2 but it was written in a way that Mon El would leave forever and stay in whatever place he went to if they didn't like him.  It even looked like they were keeping James in the background if Mon El didn't work as Kara's love interest -- everyone got a love interest by Valentine's Day except for James.  The news that James will get a love interest in s3 is the nail in the Kara/James coffin.

Speaking of James, it's interesting that in terms of screentime in s2, he got half of what he had in s1, only slightly more than Maggie and Lena, both of whom were recurring characters. They really mucked up that character.

It may have seemed that way to you but that wasn't the plan for the character since he has this Phantom Zone/lead poisoning arc in his comic backstory. During an SDCC interview, Chris said he knew the arc for his character from the start and that he would leave but he'd still be involved the following season. It'll be harder for me to find this since it's video and would require more than a Google search. But I'll post it if I come across it in the near future. 

As for article, here's a scan. He says, "by the end of the season and into the next season."  The cover art for that issue was posted in February (2/13/2017). The interview would obviously have been conducted earlier and some detectives traced it back to the interviews he'd conducted in November (or possibly December). 

9 hours ago, Delphi said:

In regards to Titans,  I worry that the lack of mention of Babs means she's been pulled from the show due to the Batgirl movie,  and I'll be hugely disappointed if that's the case and probably won't tune into the show without her. 

I suspect (based on nothing) that the reason has to do with Gotham. They may be saving that character for that show. Maybe Jim Gordon finds out that he has a daughter from a past relationship. Alternatively, Gotham has Barbara Kean returning next season, after being electrocuted last season, as a different, transformed version of her character. Barbara has been evil, but maybe her new version will be good, with an edge, so that she'll become romantically involved with Jim again.

Edited by tv echo

The Arrowverse EPs love to cast Spartacus actors...

Legends of Tomorrow Casts Spartacus Actor as Julius Caesar
August 4, 2017  by Lauren Gallaway
http://www.cbr.com/legends-of-tomorrow-simon-merrells-julius-caesar/

CBR has confirmed that Julius Caesar will be played by actor Simon Merrells. Speaking with the press at Comic-Con International, Legends of Tomorrow executive producer Phil Klemmer shared this exciting casting news. “We start out in 2017, obviously,” said Klemmer, “but we’re going to take a trip back to Ancient Rome. We’re going to have Simon Merrells — he played Julius Ceaser’s [patron Crassus] on Spartacus — who’s going to be playing Julius Ceasar on our show.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Featherhat said:

My problem with Supergirl and the "political" storylines isn't so much that they exist, because I understand the writers feel they have a platform and it's certainly not a new thing for TV shows to do this. My problem is the writers act like kids who've just taken their first social studies course and just discovered all these issues exist and were running around, jumping up and down yelling about Big Important Stuff. Sometimes as in the case of the global warming episode, they completely stop the plot just to make sure you've got the message. But it's written in such a way that I can't imagine it changing anyone's mind and it ends up annoying people who *do* agree with them. It also doesn't help (for me personally) that they had an interesting storyline last year about how the media shapes perceptions of people, with Cat literally feeling she created Supergirl and could destroy her if she wanted to. I know they lost Cat but it's a much more topical storyline for James than running around as a wannabe 3rd rate Oliver Queen

Likewise with the Arrow gun control PSA. Arrow was probably the wrong show for it in the first place, but the characters sat around debating it, not bringing any of their character's experiences from the show into it ala Felicity in a way that might be interesting and showcase their characters as more than mouth pieces spouting the same old arguments someone copied and pasted from blandtalkingpointsrus.org. Then they write the most meaningless piece of legislation that satisfies and helps no one. The End. And it's never brought up again. It's how they tend to write these things that's the problem.

I agree with what you've written here. It applies to more than just politics - put in any ideas you want, just do it adroitly.

That said, I think the brouhaha over Zari being Muslim due to the creators' politics is maybe a smidge premature. All G said, from what I can piece together, is that the current political climate has caused some concerns for his Muslim SIL, which hit home for him, and that played a role in creating this character insofar as they made her a Muslim. She might not mouth a single word of politics on the show. Identifying as a Muslim who can kick ass and hang with the Waverider crew is statement enough, and maybe that's all the statement the show wants.

If they put her together with Ray (as I suspect they will), having a Jewish man and Muslim woman in a relationship is also a political statement, and not one word of politics needs to be spoken to bring it about.

So TLDR: I guess I'm taking a wait and see approach on Legends and politics.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Miss Dee said:

I agree with what you've written here. It applies to more than just politics - put in any ideas you want, just do it adroitly.

That said, I think the brouhaha over Zari being Muslim due to the creators' politics is maybe a smidge premature. All G said, from what I can piece together, is that the current political climate has caused some concerns for his Muslim SIL, which hit home for him, and that played a role in creating this character insofar as they made her a Muslim. She might not mouth a single word of politics on the show. Identifying as a Muslim who can kick ass and hang with the Waverider crew is statement enough, and maybe that's all the statement the show wants.

If they put her together with Ray (as I suspect they will), having a Jewish man and Muslim woman in a relationship is also a political statement, and not one word of politics needs to be spoken to bring it about.

So TLDR: I guess I'm taking a wait and see approach on Legends and politics.

If Zari's religion is treated as any other aspect of a character's background/worldview/personality informing their interactions and reactions then it should be fine. IF they try to make it a big deal like some of the above plots I can see it potentially being problematic. I don't think it will though, the show is even less set up to handle that than the others. . LOT completely glossed over the religious/social etc implications of the Spear and the Blood of Christ (thankfully). Even Martin the Rabbi didn't bat an eyelid.  I guess they could have the Arabic, semi Arabic culture knowledgeable Sara play a part in it if it does become a storyline. Zari being from the future and a hacktivist should also be a large part of her character, especially in contrast to the from the past Amaya who may be trying to change her destiny and will be dealing with finding out her legacy. One of the most interesting things about Thawne was the to him none of their lives really mattered because they'd already been dead over nearly 200 years, I wonder if that will have any impact on her.

Are we sure Ray is Jewish? I know he was in the comics but they haven't said anything on the shows, except maybe for him finding himself completely unable to Heil Hitler.

6 hours ago, Xander said:

It may have seemed that way to you but that wasn't the plan for the character since he has this Phantom Zone/lead poisoning arc in his comic backstory. During an SDCC interview, Chris said he knew the arc for his character from the start and that he would leave but he'd still be involved the following season. It'll be harder for me to find this since it's video and would require more than a Google search. But I'll post it if I come across it in the near future. 

As for article, here's a scan. He says, "by the end of the season and into the next season."  The cover art for that issue was posted in February (2/13/2017). The interview would obviously have been conducted earlier and some detectives traced it back to the interviews he'd conducted in November (or possibly December). 

Sure, but if he didn't work out I'm sure they'd have found a way to replace him or have him leave Earth for good due to the poisoning. You can get told your arc for as many years as you like and sign a contract saying the same but be dumped at any point. But clearly that didn't happen. Chris Wood has been a CW actor for a while now so I'm sure they were eager to find him a regular role. His character is a bit polarising but he has enough fan support and network support for them to keep going with him.

Edited by Featherhat
  • Love 1
29 minutes ago, Featherhat said:

Sure, but if he didn't work out I'm sure they'd have found a way to replace him or have him leave Earth for good due to the poisoning. You can get told your arc for as many years as you like and sign a contract saying the same but be dumped at any point. But clearly that didn't happen. Chris Wood has been a CW actor for a while now so I'm sure they were eager to find him a regular role. His character is a bit polarising but he has enough fan support and network support for them to keep going with him.

I'm not disagreeing with that as it's very common for plans to change.  I think the character of Tommy is a good example of that, and he even had fan support, if I recall. I'm just saying that there were long term plans for the character that have nothing to do with his relationship with Melissa. Anyway, I'll gladly move on from this topic. 

On 7/29/2017 at 11:20 AM, SmallScreenDiva said:

Love how Felicity's work as Overwatch is easily dismissed as just manning the computers and telling people where to go. Apparently, it doesn't involve any strategic thinking, or technical skills to get past secure servers, locks, etc., ability to see the big picture, etc. 

Having stepped away from the show and fandom for awhile, depending upon the episode it does seem like it's easy to dismiss FS's work behind the computer screens. It especially got worse after they expanded the team a few seasons ago, and completely discarded OTA. Personally, I think FS has an enormous & undervalued role on Team Arrow. But I can see how non-invested Arrow viewers could easily dismiss the work FS does. It really does look like she is just punching some keys and acting as glorified GPS. I know she is more than that, but the show doesn't always go out of its way to show that or give her her proper due.

• Love 2

Uhura on the original Star Trek was little more than a glorified switchboard operator and yet the character still empowered many girls, Whoop Goldberg among them.

I'll see how Zari turns out but I'm worried that she's going to be taking away from Felicity's role in the Arrowverse just as Cisco and Curtis did.

5 hours ago, Miss Dee said:

If she's a Muslim woman who can kick ass and hang with the Waverider crew as an equal to the men, she may offend extreme Muslims as much as she offends white extremists.

• Love 3

I can rest comfortably in the thoughts of every extremist group having their world uncomfortably shattered by the mere presence of a character that gives the lie to their prejudices by her very existence.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Featherhat said:

Are we sure Ray is Jewish? I know he was in the comics but they haven't said anything on the shows, except maybe for him finding himself completely unable to Heil Hitler.

This is my question, also.

• Love 1

Legends of Tomorrow season 3 is a different Damien Darhk than the one you saw last year....We pick up after he's been killed..

Lol.  So he kills the "beloved" Laurel and doesn't even stay dead.  Maybe he can take out BS eventually.  And then Oliver's tattoo will finish him off again. 

On 8/3/2017 at 9:14 AM, Cleanqueen said:

The LOT portion of the crossover last year was my favorite part from start to finish. In previous years I've always preferred the flash portion of it. I just like the crossovers to be fun and have characters that normally don't interact actually interact.

I do think there is at least a wedding in the crossover. And tbh I think it will probably be the WA wedding, I don't think it is a coincidence that the save the date matches the actual date the flash episode airs in the crossover.

I am pretty sure we will probably get at least one pregnancy announcement, maybe Lyla is pregnant again?

A proposal, perhaps olicity if they're not engaged by then

And Mon El and Kara reuniting. 

There's maybe several "good" events but there bound to be at least one bad one.  

On 8/4/2017 at 1:22 PM, wonderwall said:

Given how strongly the cast stated that Lena and Kara were just friends, I doubt the kiss rumor and given the spoilers on Maggie's status with Alex, they wouldn't be able to deport her even if she was not born in the US.  

On 8/4/2017 at 1:55 PM, yellowfred said:

Yeah, I'm also pretty doubtful about Maggie being deported.  On top of everything else, she's a cop, which is not a super logical job to have for someone who's in the country illegally.

And this, lol.  

Lexi Alexander directed Arrow 404 (Beyond Redemption) and Supergirl 114 (Truth, Justice and the American Way). This is a great, behind-the-scenes look at the difficulties facing women directors of action shows and films (I only quoted portions, so you may wish to read the entire, lengthy article)...

VIRTUOSO ACTION DIRECTOR LEXI ALEXANDER FIGHTS BACK AGAINST HOLLYWOOD
BRIAN RAFTERY  08.01.17
https://www.wired.com/story/lexi-alexander-fights-back-against-hollywood/

Lexi Alexander is easy enough to spot on a set: She’s the one in the middle of the huddle, surrounded on all sides by men—cameramen, stuntmen, sound guys, lighting guys, even a Guy Holding a Fake But Very Real-Looking Gun—and throwing punches around. Alexander is a film and television director, and on this sun-singed fall afternoon she’s taken over a corner in Toronto to work out the choreography for a street-scuffle scene on the NBC series Taken. Before she broke into Hollywood, Alexander was a martial arts champion; she not only knows how it looks when a fist connects with its target but how it feels. So with her crew looking on, Alexander pulls the fake-gun-toting colleague into the circle and carefully delivers a series of swift, demonstrative, thankfully fake jabs to the side of his head.
As Alexander explains her ideas, some of her collaborators nod eagerly while others respond with silent, stony expressions. Creative conflicts are all but required on any deadline-driven production, yet throughout the day it’s been impossible not to notice these low-frequency moments of resistance toward the director. You can see it when a colleague explains an obvious point to her, or when another tries to smoothly deflect one of her instructions.
“I cannot explain why it is always so hostile, because when I do make an adjustment to a fight scene, I’ll go out of my way to do it in a nice way,” Alexander says a few months later, sounding at once bemused and exasperated. ... “In martial arts, for every attack there is a counter you can throw,” she says. “Somebody traps you, you can throw a hook. But there is no counter for bias” in the entertainment business. “You cannot be super nice. You cannot be super badass. You cannot even be super good at your job. It simply doesn’t count in Hollywood.” On most sets, Alexander says, “there’s some people thinking, ‘Yeah, she’s coming up with something great.’ And there’s some people probably thinking I was just pretending, because how can a girl know better?”
After the success of Patty Jenkins’ Wonder Woman earlier this summer, it wasn’t unusual to see articles predicting, or even proclaiming, that the film’s massive box office would force studio executives to deviate from their go-for-bro business strategy and give more female directors a crack at mega-budgeted summer movies (or any movies, really). But a closer examination of Alexander’s experiences—as well as her career-resuscitating Twitter feed—shows that change in Hollywood doesn’t happen overnight. She may have been the first woman to direct a Marvel adaptation [Punisher: War Zone], but nine years later she’s still the only woman to direct a Marvel adaptation.

“Someone once said to me, ‘What’s great about you is you’re a woman and you can do action,’ ” Alexander says. “And part of me is thinking, ‘Fuck, yeah! Keep thinking that!’ Meanwhile, the other part is thinking, ‘Fuck this sexist shit.’”
... “There’s a million of these interviews,” she says of the hiring process. “You go in there, you read the script, you talk to the writers. And the shortlist was always me against two or three guys.” In the end, she’d never get the gig. “And this is why discrimination is so hard to prove: It’s not like I had a million credits and the guy who gets the job had zero credits. But I was considered to be the hot director, and they’ll give it to somebody who may have had one more movie than me.”
... But it’s hard to discount Alexander’s claims that her extended stay in “director’s jail” may have something to do with her being a woman, especially when you consider the similar cases of directors Mimi Leder and Karyn Kusama (both of whom have said they attribute their previous, post-bomb career freeze-outs to their gender); or the study by the Annenberg Foundation that found that, of the 100 top movies of 2016, a mere 4 percent were directed by women; or the multitudes of patronizing, patriarchal tales on the Shit People Say to Women Directors tumblr. As it turns out, Alexander had a few tales of her own to share.
It’s hard to pinpoint the exact moment when Lexi Alexander, struggling filmmaker, became @Lexialex, accidental empowerment enabler, but it likely began in early 2014. At the time, Alexander was being approached by journalists about Hollywood’s lack of female directors, and she responded with a pointed essay for her personal blog. “There is no lack of female directors,” she wrote. “But there is a huge lack of people willing to give female directors opportunities. I swear, if anyone near me even so much as whispers the sentence ‘Women probably don’t want to direct,’ my fist will fly as a reflex action.” She added: “By letter of the law, all female directors must fall in one of two categories: Difficult or Indecisive. Bitch or Ditz. Hello, my name is Lexi Alexander, Difficult Bitch. Nice to meet you!”
“In Hollywood, like in comics, you get the idea that there are certain things you shouldn’t talk about in a certain way if you want to get more gigs,” says G. Willow Wilson, the Eisner-­nominated writer of Marvel’s hit Ms. Marvel. “But Lexi’s willing to go to the mat for what she believes in rather than staying quiet in hopes of currying favor.”

... Andrew Kreisberg, who executive produces Arrow and Supergirl, hired Alexander to direct episodes of both CW shows, in part because “War Zone wasn’t one of these $150 million movies” that had a lot of money to stage expensive action sequences, he says. “It had a level of ingenuity that we require on our shows.” ...
“The fight’s over before it begins,” she explains to the crew. “Kind of like the way I fight.”

“I don’t think so,” one of them chuckles under his breath, out of earshot. Maybe it was a jibe; maybe it was a failed attempt at levity. Either way, it’s hard to imagine anyone saying that within 100 feet of Michael Bay.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 9

I get the sense Lexi may never to a DCTV show. She's tweeted some stuff which I took as obliquely referencing a dude-bro culture at Arrow, including an anecdote with one of the stunt crew apparently trying to demonstrate what a proper kick was or something like that. 

• Love 4