Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

David is Moira MacTaggert's son, he's a super powerful mutant and, responsible for the Age of Apocalypse storyline.

I'm also curious to see how FOX butchers this show but, I'd rather just stay the frack away from the X-Mess they create

(edited)

I hate that they change stuff like that. I remember coming back to X-Men right around the reveal that Mephisto was Nightcrawler's dad and, i was massively confused since i distinctly remembered Sabertooth as his dad (AoA reveal).

Same with Vulcan, I remembered Adam X being the lost Summers brother. Then I come back to comics any it's this Vulcan/Gabriel Summers.

Edited by Morrigan2575
(edited)

That new show seems interesting. But I'm still actively resisting/avoiding any project with Dan Stevens in it. I still have not forgiven him for leaving Downton Abbey.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, kismet said:

That new show seems interesting. But I'm still actively resisting/avoiding any project with Dan Stevens in it. I still have not forgiven him for leaving Downton Abbey.

OH MY GOD SAME. I saw Dan Stevens and I'm just.... meh. He left Downton to pursue bigger things... Then proceeded to do nothing buzzworthy  -_- 

Poor Matthew :(

• Love 3
1 minute ago, wonderwall said:

OH MY GOD SAME. I saw Dan Stevens and I'm just.... meh. He left Downton to pursue bigger things... Then proceeded to do nothing buzzworthy  -_- 

Poor Matthew :(

It also irritated my when then both Sophie McShera & Hugh Bonneville were able to to Galavant & DA the next year. There was a way to stay on DA and pursue other opportunities. But meh... he just had to go. Good to see he landed in such bigger projects.

4 minutes ago, kismet said:

It also irritated my when then both Sophie McShera & Hugh Bonneville were able to to Galavant & DA the next year. There was a way to stay on DA and pursue other opportunities. But meh... he just had to go. Good to see he landed in such bigger projects.

I'm still bitter haha That's why I'm gonna avoid Beauty and the Beast for the longest time because I'm a petty asshole :p And tbh Emma Watson isn't enough to make me watch it... She's awesome... But she's not that great of an actress

6 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

I'm still bitter haha That's why I'm gonna avoid Beauty and the Beast for the longest time because I'm a petty asshole :p And tbh Emma Watson isn't enough to make me watch it... She's awesome... But she's not that great of an actress

Thanks for the heads up, I completely forgot he was in that :( I was so looking fwd to that after the teaser trailers were released recently.

12 hours ago, Delphi said:

I mean,  she's not wrong.   DC pretty much had the chance to catch up with what Marvel was doing with their cinematic universe but kinda missed the entire point of what Marvel was doing.   Like the bratty kid you played with as a kid who took all their toys home because the game wasn't going the way they wanted.   Dc had this huge chance for this huge universe and they squandered it.

I see the appeal of having the movies and TV shows connected, but I don't think DC needs to do the same thing as Marvel, though. Plus, they've got the whole 'multiverse' concept that allows for different versions of characters. I don't mind that the mind that the shows aren't required to be tied in to the movies and vice versa.

On the other hand, I agree that restricting certain characters (especially when they're C-list, at best) from the TV shows is shortsighted and unnecessary.

• Love 8

I certainly didn't like that there was no more Matthew on DA, but I don't blame Dan Stephens for deciding to do something else. It's his right to do so. Maybe it's also because it started to lose its charm for me in season 3 and didn't really get it back afterwards, so much so that I just stopped watching at one point.

What caught my eye is that the listed cast members are him and three women. Which are pretty unusual odds for this type of show, so good for them.

• Love 3
(edited)
9 hours ago, kismet said:

Ugh I'm the same, I was so annoyed he bailed on DA, I mean yeah it's his right but he totally left the show in the lurch. (I was actually more devastated over Sybil's actress leaving but didn't blame her as much because her character was given so little to do, whereas he was the lead.) I'll watch Beauty and the Beast only because Belle was my absolute favourite Disney Princess, otherwise I've avoided Dan Stevens. 

Edited by TimetravellingBW
  • Love 1

One of the best things about Gotham is seeing the villains meet each other. I loved seeing BabyCat meet the Riddler. Most of the main character villains are somewhat interesting. Gordon is pretty much the only character I don't like since they managed to turn Barbara around by making her batshit crazy. 

• Love 2

I don't watch Gotham regularly, but every episode I happen to catch, I really enjoy the teenage Batman parts, and find the cop parts immensely boring. Which I guess is watching it wrong, but there you go.

• Love 2

I've been thinking about this Flashpoint thing and have come to the conclusion that they used it at the wrong moment. It would have been a great starting point for the massive crossover next year. It could impact all shows, be a massive event and then things could be restored to normal by the end of LOT, the time travelling show, so they could all chug along as planned.

• Love 5

About Willa's comments...even if they wanted to bring Grant on (as there won't be Green Arrow in the JL movies) it's logistically hard with filming times.

Also...Marvel movies are in the same universe as AoS etc...but they don't even hint at any them..nor Daredevil etc. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, wingster55 said:

Also...Marvel movies are in the same universe as AoS etc...but they don't even hint at any them..nor Daredevil etc. 

That's why I kind of cringe every time someone brings up how DC should be connected like Marvel, when Marvel's even barely connected to each other concerning the movies and tv. At this point, AoS is being purposefully ignored by Marvel completely (Marvel's not even promoting "It's all connected" anymore), because of TV/movie drama, not too far from how Flash and Arrow are being treated by the DC movies. The difference is that Marvel allows AoS to do its own thing because it still promotes the movies, whereas DC is actually preventing the tv shows from executing their own stories. On the other hand, since AoS can't just do anything that it wants, it more seems like AoS is in the same boat as Arrow, except that Arrow actually had to drop storylines and character because of the movies, rather than the idea that any of the Arrowverse shows should actually be jealous of the "connected" MCU.

• Love 2

Marvel isn't actively preventing AoS from doing storylines. They can mention the bigger connected universe while still doing their own thing. While, yes the movies don't mention AoS at all, we know they have a small connection through Coulson who was in the movies as well as Agent Carter. 

DC wants their universes separate so I don't see why the Flarrowverse can't have or mention their own DC characters? In this separate universe, the Flarrowverse should be able to have their own Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, etc.... I'll understand Batman and a lesser extent Superman. Everyone else should be allowed, which includes the members of the Suicide Squad. 

Right, Proteus was Moira's son. Legion is Professor X's son. I don't know if Marvel's Fox properties are connected with the movies and tv shows, like the Marvel Disney ones. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, dtissagirl said:

I don't watch Gotham regularly, but every episode I happen to catch, I really enjoy the teenage Batman parts, and find the cop parts immensely boring. Which I guess is watching it wrong, but there you go.

if that's wrong I don't want to be right. Bruce/Alfred/Selina is the strongest part of the show. Young David Mazouz is the heart of the show, not Ben McKenzie. Every episode, Bruce gets more compelling, and taller ;)

• Love 4

I like that about Gotham too. I can see this teenage Bruce Wayne turning into Batman. Young Selina is great too, she'll do good things while still being morally questionable, like helping the Riddler escape to get info she needs. This show is making me want to see what the Gotham characters will be like when they are established in their roles. Except for Jim, I don't care what happens to him. I want to see how this version of Batman and Catwoman interact as adults having grown up together. Or what Poison Ivy and Catwoman's relationship is like, same for The Penguin and the Riddler. I'm okay with Batman knowing his villains, none of them really hid their names from the public. 

• Love 3
On May 25, 2016 at 2:55 PM, arjumand said:

SPOILERS FOR FLASHPOINT PARADOX

This season ender finally made me watch Flashpoint Paradox, and I'm so disappointed. Not because of the Barry fuck-up, that seems par for the course nowadays (but hey, let's make an action figure* out of him and name coffee after him). But because of the reason for the world-ending war between Aquaman and Wonder Woman.

It's a love triangle. No, really. No, really. Aquaman and Wonder Woman bang (the whole thing played in silent-movie format in Barry's head, so I honestly thought they were entering a marriage of convenience for alliance purposes - I had no idea Bikini Queen was supposed to be his wife), his wife gets jealous, tries to kill Wonder Woman, who seriously goes apeshit psycho killer on her, and that's it, the world is done.

I think I've just found the critical mass of sexist storylines. Holy shit. It's like we're ticking off a checklist - women are too emotional, can't think of the consequences of their actions, etc.

END SPOILERS FOR FLASHPOINT PARADOX

I'm desperately hoping this is true, because I don't want it. It seems like we're stuck in a time loop too, because weren't we saying all this last year? Now he's gone and done it, and you'd better not have fucked up Arrow, Barry.

You've lasted longer than I have, I quit 5 minutes into the movie.

17 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

Yet another superhero show joins the ranks. This time on FX. It's from Marvel and in the comics David Haller is Professor X's son. 

I have a soft spot for Legion with him being an Israeli, so while like Stevens I am unsure about this show because he doesn't look Israeli; and while I'm all in favor of not always sticking to comics it sounds like they are giving Legion a different origin story.

i'm on the fence I will watch a few episodes but honestly I really wanted them to introduce Legion into the movies, he is a great example of villain turned anti-hero, they could have created a great trilogy around him.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, FurryFury said:

AoS also had Nick Fury and Maria Hill, so it's already way ahead of the DC shows.

But the point is, that nothing on any Marvel show impacts the movies even if they're in the same universe. So do they really have a leg up?

Nope.

The only leg up I see, and it's debatable whether it matters, is that DC isn't really keeping the TV and DCU separate, as was articulated above.  If they were, TV Deadshot would be alive as would every other character killed off because the DCU was using them.  

At least I can be fairly confident that Skye's not going to be killed off so they can use the character in the MCU. There's only one Phil Coulson. Jessica Jones exists in the same world of Steve Rogers even if her existence is never acknowledged in a movie. Again, I don't mind the different approaches, but I do like consistency. 

• Love 6

I understand when Marvel says No to a character appearing on tv or getting a tv show because they want to use the character in the movies. I don't understand when DC does it. 

• Love 6

Completed S2 of Daredevil. I think i get why people said it wasn't as good as S1. It seems like they were almost telling two different stories. One was the story the setup/planned in S1 which was Stick/Hand/Black Sky/Elektra. The other story was a Soft Pilot for The Punisher.

Personally,  I loved the Punisher story.  The problem comes from the fact that Daredevil/Matt really wasn't part of that story after 204.  Conversely, I didn't care that much about the Daredevil/Elektra stuff and just wanted to get back to The Punisher.

• Love 3
(edited)

Parts of season one of Daredevil was a bit slow for me, took me nearly two weeks to finish. Season two might've been less straightforward narratively, but I enjoyed it a lot more and finished watching in over a few nights. 

8 hours ago, dtissagirl said:

Little Bats is stealing the show right from out under Gordon. The writers seem to be aware of that fact, given how much more material they've been giving him. He's practically a co-lead. 

Edited by driedfruit
2 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Completed S2 of Daredevil. I think i get why people said it wasn't as good as S1. It seems like they were almost telling two different stories. One was the story the setup/planned in S1 which was Stick/Hand/Black Sky/Elektra. The other story was a Soft Pilot for The Punisher.

Personally,  I loved the Punisher story.  The problem comes from the fact that Daredevil/Matt really wasn't part of that story after 204.  Conversely, I didn't care that much about the Daredevil/Elektra stuff and just wanted to get back to The Punisher.

That's how I felt for the episodes I did watch. I actually was fast forwarding through DD/Electra but I still couldn't stick with it. I might watch a Punisher show though if they did a spinoff. I just don't like this DD or this Electra. The Electra movie Jennifer Gardner did was awful, but I still like it better than what I saw of Electra in season two.

3 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Yup... I also felt like S2 failed Matt in the sense that I completely disliked him towards the end. And S3 might be in trouble for me because if Punisher isn't there to make up for my lack of interest for the Black Sky/Elektra story, then I don't think S3 is going to fare well. While I like Elektra, the whole ninjas/Black Sky thing was utterly boring. 

7 minutes ago, nksarmi said:

That's how I felt for the episodes I did watch. I actually was fast forwarding through DD/Electra but I still couldn't stick with it. I might watch a Punisher show though if they did a spinoff. I just don't like this DD or this Electra. The Electra movie Jennifer Gardner did was awful, but I still like it better than what I saw of Electra in season two.

I believe Netflix announced a Punisher series? I'm not 100% sure

• Love 1

It took me a year to finish s1 of Daredevil and I forgot to watch past 201 so that probably tells you how I feel about Daredevil. LOL. I found the villain more compelling than Matt tbh. 

• Love 2
Just now, Angel12d said:

It took me a year to finish s1 of Daredevil and I forgot to watch past 201 so that probably tells you how I feel about Daredevil. LOL. I found the villain more compelling than Matt tbh. 

Also yup :p 

I think Daredevil does such a fantastic job developing its villains. It takes its time to give them motivation etc. But because of this, the show forgets to develop Matt. That was so frustrating to me because villains come and go but Matt is the one who sticks around. And not developing him is just incredibly stupid and makes it harder to root for the hero. This show is called 'Daredevil' yet I don't know a lot about why Matt does what he does, what motivates him to save Hell's Kitchen... Not only that but we haven't even seen Matt grow as a character the past 2 seasons which is also frustrating. 

Also, where in the world did Karen/Matt come from? That relationship gave me whiplash at the beginning of season 2. It was weird...

• Love 1
(edited)

Agreed. I found Wilson Fisk more compelling and watchable than Matt pretty much the whole time. They really explored why/how he became the man he was. Matt, not so much. Aside from how he became blind and the brief training with Stick, I never really got a sense of his character. In general I found him a bit bland and lacking personality. IDK.

Karen/Matt is because comics. I'm guessing they just explored it way too soon. 

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 1

I found season 1 of DD pretty boring. I barely remember it now, but from what I remember, I just didn't love it. I liked Wilson Fisk enough and I liked Matt, Foggy and Karen, but the first season didn't interest me. Season 2 was a lot better. I loved the Punisher, liked Elektra, and although I did not root for Karen/Matt (they don't have the chemistry that, say, Matt/Claire had in season 1), I liked Karen with Frank/Punisher. Matt got on my nerves. I was also disappointed in the lack of Foggy, and I found that I am not as impressed with Fisk as I was in season 1. Punisher is a much more interesting character, so I'm looking forward to his spinoff show.

Jessica Jones is a good show, but for me, I felt like it went on three episodes too long.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

I like that about Gotham too. I can see this teenage Bruce Wayne turning into Batman. Young Selina is great too, she'll do good things while still being morally questionable, like helping the Riddler escape to get info she needs. This show is making me want to see what the Gotham characters will be like when they are established in their roles. Except for Jim, I don't care what happens to him. I want to see how this version of Batman and Catwoman interact as adults having grown up together. Or what Poison Ivy and Catwoman's relationship is like, same for The Penguin and the Riddler. I'm okay with Batman knowing his villains, none of them really hid their names from the public. 

8 hours ago, driedfruit said:

Little Bats is stealing the show right from out under Gordon. The writers seem to be aware of that fact, given how much more material they've been giving him. He's practically a co-lead. 

I've never thought the actor that plays Gordon was anything but serviceable (I loved the O.C. but Seth was always more interesting to watch) but I do find the storylines and the characters he is involved with interesting and I have hopes for Gordon's character to become more likable next season.  I'm ok with his grunts and brooding but then that was pretty much the character he played on the O.C. lol. 

But baby Bats really blew me away this year.  He has gotten seriously good in his role.  I totally buy into this kid growing up to be Batman, not the Nolanverse or the current BvS one but a better Batman, one closer to the ideal.  And oh, he so looks the part too.  Love Alfred (I credit Pertwee for showing the kid what consistently good acting looks like) have always loved Selina.  I desperately want Gotham to stick around for a solid number of years because I want the kid to grow up and have a chance at really playing the character or at least a proto version before he'd go off for years perfecting his skills. 

I love how the show has incorporated moments that you can clearly see impact Bruce when it comes to things like his moral code and even his coming taste in capes and masks. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, wonderwall said:

I believe Netflix announced a Punisher series? I'm not 100% sure

Yeah, they did. Also, Daredevil s3 will be delayed by a year (presumably because of The Defenders).

I do concur with the consensus regarding Matt - I really started to dislike him over s2, but really, for me not caring for/disliking the male lead is basically par for the course (I think Limitless was the only show this season where I liked the male lead the best of all characters). So I didn't mind. I fell in love with Frank, however, and that was enough for me to adore season 2, even if the Elektra/Hand stuff was pretty boring (I did like Elektra, but aside from her relationship with Stick, which really wasn't explored enough, she never clicked for me).

• Love 3

i was bored by the Elektra/Matt/Hand stuff ans FF a lot of scenes so i could get back to The Punisher stuff.  I actually loved the court scenes, wish that had lasted a bit longer.

I agreed on growing to dislike Matt as the season went on. Mostly because of the Matt/Elektra vs Matt/Karen stuff.  I don't ship anyone but, was really put off by the way Matt seemed to string Karen along. 

I'm really looking forward to The Punisher series and, I'm going to start Jessica Jones this week. Luke Cage looks fun (trailer aired after Daredevil) but, i think I'll get a better sense of him after watching JJ.

• Love 1
(edited)

i don't really know anything about him from the trailer except that he's bullet proof and kind of snarky. 

Comic wise, Luke Cage and Iron Fist popped up in a couple of Deadpool comics in the last 2 years but, it's hard to get a feel since they were written as the "straight men" to Pool's wackiness 

Edited by Morrigan2575

I guess I'm in the minority because I liked Elektra. I didn't like the Hand storyline, it seems like every show has trouble making faceless ninjas interesting. I would've like to see more of Elektra and Stick's relationship as well as more on the Punisher (which we are getting). I agree on the Matt front, he became annoying and I didn't like him stringing Karen along while running around with Elektra. He also did seem to become the secondary focus on his own show. 

I loved Jessica Jones for being willing to tell a disturbing and dark storyline the way they did. They also showed a true female friendship. For me the fact that Jessica was unlikable is why I liked her. As for Luke Cage I didn't hate him or anything. He was just kind of there. I'll check out his show to see if he gets more of a personality. 

• Love 3

The only Netflix show I'm not looking forward to is Luke Cage. I just didn't like him at all on Jessica Jones. He's boring, he has a pretty boring and predictable power, and the premise of his show sounds kind of dull too. I'm just not sure about his show; I'll still give it a chance, but if he's anything like he was on JJ, I don't think I'll make it past the second episode. 

• Love 1
(edited)

To be fair, JJ's power is also pretty meh. But I knew the basic gist of the Kilgrave plot, and it did seem really unusual and interesting. Can't say I hear anything interesting about Luke Cage's story and villains.

BTW am I the only one who is really afraid that JJ is going to have one hell of a sophomore slump? It just really felt like a lot of the story was Kilgrave/Jessica, in its heart. I mean, I like Trish, hell, I'm the minority who didn't even dislike Nuke, but I just struggle to imagine they could create anything approaching Kilgrave's arc in quality and intensity again.

Also, no David Tennant (although I'm sure he'll make a cameo as JJ's hallucination/dream). I love him so much I had really mixed emotions when she killed Kilgrave. I mean, great that she did it, no question (I'm so over Matt's no kill rule). But he was such a great villain that the idea of losing him for good really hurt. Why do Malcolm Merlyns continue to live while actually awesome villains die or go away?

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 7

Yeah, but Krysten Ritter still made JJ interesting enough to have me care for her. I feel somewhat bad for Mike Colter, but he didn't make me care for Luke on JJ. Hopefully, he can for his own show. 

I'm absolutely afraid that JJ will hit a sophomore slump. I don't think there's any way they can make season 2 as good as season 1, because David Tennant really made the season a positive. I did not like Will Simpson by the end of the season, and I have a feeling he'll be a major arc of season 2....which I am not looking forward to. I'm just worried about the direction season 2 will take. Jessica needed to kill Kilgrave, no doubt about it. But I guess part of me was hoping that he wouldn't go down easily. It made perfect sense, but David Tennant is going to be missed, even with him probably making a cameo or two.

• Love 1
(edited)

I liked that she killed him. I will miss David Tennant but I'm glad he's gone. He was someone that needed to go, she couldn't let someone with that kind of power keep living. I would've been pissed if she didn't kill him.

I don't know what JJ Season 2 can offer. I never read her comics but from what I did hear Killgrave wasn't that a big part in them. I suppose that means they do have other stories to tell for her. Plus turning Trish into Hellcat. 

I'm not really looking forward to Luke Cage or Iron Fist, I am however looking forward to The Defenders to see them all team up. I wish we got more meetings between them before that show airs. I wanted to see Matt, Foggy and Karen meet Jessica.

In other superhero news, Brie Larson reportedly is the front runner to play Captain Marvel. 

http://deadline.com/2016/06/captain-marvel-brie-larson-1201765976/

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 2

I may be in the minority but I loved both seasons of Daredevil.  I won't deny their were some problems with Season 2.  The Black Sky stuff was confusing and they had no true villain (Fisk was awesome in the episodes he showed up in).  I felt Matt often got lost on his own show and wasn't even the most interesting character last season.  Matt's martyr complex annoyed the shit out of me on both the show and the comics.  I understand why he was the way he was in Season 2 but I don't want another season of Matt being like that to everyone around him.

I liked Jessica Jones a lot.  The cast was great and I was impressed that they told such a small story in the grand scheme of things and made it work for a full season.  I think they need a bigger story for Season 2. 

• Love 1
(edited)

That TV Line "2016 Fall TV Scoop" article (posted in the Spoilers thread by @dtissagirl) also included spoilers for LoT:

Savage has been vanquished, but the team's legendary journeys shall continue,

Spoiler

as steered by the season-ending arrival of Hourman (played by Suits' Patrick J. Adams). With the DC Comics hero presenting "a fork in the road" for the Waverider crew, Season 2 will boast both "new characters" (including a ">powered Han Solo type and a female soldier from the 1940s) and "a new dramatic engine," says showrunner Marc Guggenheim. And whereas Season 1 only dabbled with an ill-fated Ray/Kendra fling and simmering Sara/Snart sparks, the EP says, "There are seeds that we're going to start planting in Season 2" for other romantic developments.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

I appreciated the darkness of season one of Jessica, but what little I've looked up about her makes it seem like she actually has some happiness in her life so I wouldn't mind season two letting her be a little happier. I'd also watch just to see her and Trish's relationship develop and maybe see Trish turn into Hellcat. I wouldn't even need the show to have an on-going villain. I'd be perfectly happy to see her and Trish solve regular old murders and stuff.  I certainly wouldn't mind them tackling something dark - like a human trafficking story though.

In regards to Luke, their relationship (which is comic canon) was so sad but I did like how they understood each other. I'd like to see him again in relation to her, but I'm not sure I'd be able to watch his show week in and week out. I certainly don't think DD can get me back and I really wanted to like that show.

(edited)

I'm actually a bit wary about the Defenders miniseries because I didn't care for Daredevil. If I remember correctly, the Jessica Jones producers are not involved in the team up series, so I'm just a little concerned about how a different team will write Jessica...As of now Jessica Jones is the only Marvel Netflix show I'm invested in but I'll check out Luke Cage and the other one when they air. Have no interest in finishing Daredevil season one.

Edited by manbearpig
  • Love 1