Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

I liked the Sara/Stein scenes, but I don't know whether I love or hate the way Sara keeps bragging about all the ways she can kill someone.

Kendra is growing on me. Jax not so much :/ Crump's teeth and the way he speaks in general are soo distracting.

• Love 1

Nice to know Vandal Savage at least isn't racist. Neither was his wife.  Unless Tuna Casserole is passive aggressive for get out of my neighborhood. 

Why should he be? He's technically from Ancient Egypt. He shouldn't even be white, and definitely shouldn't be racist.

• Love 5

Did the introduce Sara's 50s love interest?

Yes, Lindsey something, a nurse. She was cute and relatable (despite being straight, I really feel for closeted characters in historical settings), but nothing special. She was pretty much there for Sara to start healing from her death PTSD. 

Yes, Lindsey something, a nurse. She was cute and relatable (despite being straight, I really feel for closeted characters in historical settings), but nothing special. She was pretty much there for Sara to start healing from her death PTSD. 

Yes. I suggest you watch those scenes if you don't want to watch the whole episode. It was a nice insight into Sara's character.

Thanks. I'll check whether they're on Youtube.

I thought the scene with Stein, Sara and Jax with Stein reminiscing about what an idyllic time it was came over really badly. It was like Sara was trying to say she has it so much worse than Jax, being a bisexual woman. I couldn't work out whether she was ignorant or she has to have suffered more than everyone else.

It was like Sara was trying to say she has it so much worse than Jax, being a bisexual woman

I can't agree with that. She simply added a few more minorities after he argued that being black in the 50s was not that awesome. It made sense and fit her established character.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 4

I see what you're saying, but it's not as of being gay in the 50s was all that great. Easier, sure because you can hide your gay, but interracial marriage in some places was at least a concept (one that was frowned upon) but there is absolutely no way Sara and Nyssa could have played house the way Kendra and Ray were.

I see what you're saying, but it's not as of being gay in the 50s was all that great. Easier, sure because you can hide your gay, but interracial marriage in some places was at least a concept (one that was frowned upon) but there is absolutely no way Sara and Nyssa could have played house the way Kendra and Ray were.

Sara and Nyssa probably could, they would get away with being 'spinsters' who shared a house. Two men, not a chance.

I think the interracial couple dynamic would've been more interesting if they'd chosen Jax and Sara, mostly because a white man may get some shit but he's still a white man. A black man with a white woman in the 50s, it may have been better in the north but I think they would've still had much more crap to deal with. Obviously though there's no larger story to tie into with Jax and Sara, like there is with Ray and Kendra. 

Did Sara have any scenes with the nurse after their drinks in the cafeteria? That's the last one I found and after seeing demonic vampire birds (???) I don't know that I want to watch the rest of the episode.  Sara's hair when she arrived at the hospital was really off. I'm not saying nobody wore it like that in 1958, but that's not how you would walk in trying to blend in as a nurse in that town in that era.

I will say that Jax has perfect skin. There isn't a pore to be seen.

This is the problem with spinning off a show from 2 other shows. It limits total potential viewers to people who watch both shows. The Flash only succeeded because that hero is the more popular hero of the bunch and LoT doesn't have a character of that calibre to bring in new viewers. 

• Love 1

This is the problem with spinning off a show from 2 other shows. It limits total potential viewers to people who watch both shows. The Flash only succeeded because that hero is the more popular hero of the bunch and LoT doesn't have a character of that calibre to bring in new viewers. 

I don't think you need to watch either of the other shows, but I don't think they've communicated that to the viewing public. 

• Love 1

That's exactly what I was thinking once they greeenlit this show. They are obviously putting a lot of effort into production and promotion, but I honestly wonder how successful it was going to be? It's a fine show, but did they think it was going to get Flash's ratings?

It's still better ratings-wise than TVD for that night, but I kind of cringe at the idea that they may have been expecting more. Hopefully it levels back up to Arrow's ratings by the end of the season, but I'm now wondering if we're going to get a Barry sighting real quick for the season finale.

• Love 1

Did Sara have any scenes with the nurse after their drinks in the cafeteria? That's the last one I found and after seeing demonic vampire birds (???) I don't know that I want to watch the rest of the episode.  Sara's hair when she arrived at the hospital was really off. I'm not saying nobody wore it like that in 1958, but that's not how you would walk in trying to blend in as a nurse in that town in that era.

I will say that Jax has perfect skin. There isn't a pore to be seen.

Yes, there are. I say hang on, and ignore the demonic birds - it's what I did :)

I'm thinking the way they introduced LoT by using the two mother shows also penalized it, because some people seem to be really resenting it. 

That's bad.  Reaching Arrow lows now.

If that isn't adjusted this afternoon, that's dipped below Arrow's lowest number for total viewers.  On the other hand, it's still better than how The Vampire Diaries was performing in that same time spot back in the fall, and even after a controversial episode, The 100 also still managed to outperform The Originals. And of course Thursday is Shonda Night. I know all of us on this board have been skeptical about the actual impact of Shonda Night on CW shows, but Reign's producers complained about the effect.

That's so disappointing :(

And of course Thursday is Shonda Night. I know all of us on this board have been skeptical about the actual impact of Shonda Night on CW shows, but Reign's producers complained about the effect.

Shonda shows are really dropping this year (except for Grey's which is unsinkable or something). It's something like 1.6 and 1.4 now, not that big of a competition. And really, Reign is a soap, while LoT and The 100 are action/sci-fi. Two very different demos.

Edited by FurryFury

That's so disappointing :(

Shonda shows are really dropping this year (except for Grey's which is unsinkable or something). It's something like 1.6 and 1.4 now, not that big of a competition. And really, Reign is a soap, while LoT and The 100 are action/sci-fi. Two very different demos.

Reign is also not very good. Still, the argument was made last season, so it might be made again this season.

Yes, there are. I say hang on, and ignore the demonic birds - it's what I did :)

I'm just looking for Youtube clips, I'm not really interested in the full episode. But I read the recap here and can someone riddle me this: why did no one think of Sara and Kendra switching parts? Kendra would have raised less attention as a nurse than part of an interracial couple. The nurse could have been a repressed neighbor instead, and Kendra's big scene with Savage was in the hospital anyhow. Is it simple laziness due to the fact that Kendra and Ray are a couple now?

I wondered what would happen with the ratings this week what with the advertising of 1950's monster movie and of course with Heatwave's potentially being killed off.  Oh well I'm still really enjoying the show though something needs to be done with Savage.

But I read the recap here and can someone riddle me this: why did no one think of Sara and Kendra switching parts? Kendra would have raised less attention as a nurse than part of an interracial couple.

I had the same idea. They really should have incorporated Sara's science skills (mentioned on s2 of Arrow) to explain why they've decided for her to play the nurse.

. Is it simple laziness due to the fact that Kendra and Ray are a couple now?

Yeah, this is what I'm thinking.

• Love 1

I had the same idea. They really should have incorporated Sara's science skills (mentioned on s2 of Arrow) to explain why they've decided for her to play the nurse.

Yeah, Sara's training with Ivo being helpful would have made sense, but from what I saw, she was there to pull files.

Reign is also not very good. Still, the argument was made last season, so it might be made again this season.

IMO, LOT isn't very good either. I watch it because I am a Sara fan, but the show as a whole is very frustating.

Edited by strikera0
  • Love 2

I seriously tried with LoT but I just couldn't do it. I was never a huge fan of any of the spinoff characters in the first place but the few episodes I tried to watch bored me to death. I'm not surprised the viewership is waning, TBH.

• Love 3

Is that the only reason?

All renewed, how about that.

There are more scenes of Sara and the nurse after the drinks. The other 2 are when they kiss. 

There is a nice one with Sara and Stein were Sara talks about what's like for her since coming back from the dead as well. 

I didn't mind Sara mentioning all the other things that make the 50's not so nice for anyone other than straight white men. She wasn't comparing herself to Jax or Kendra, she was listing off all the other people that would not find 50's so great. 

• Love 2

I think The Flash has the strongest cast, the only weak link is Danielle Panabaker. Arrow and LoT really only have 2 or 3 strong actors. Arrow's weakest actor is the title character.

I didn't mind Sara mentioning all the other things that make the 50's not so nice for anyone other than straight white men. She wasn't comparing herself to Jax or Kendra, she was listing off all the other people that would not find 50's so great.

Then why just talk about herself, she pretty much ignored how tough it would be for Jax.

I'd say Jax was lucky he was in a time that black men could be kidnapped and forced to do what white men want, but I guess on this show that time is 2016.

For the sustained success? Decent writing a good portion of the time, and fully embracing the comic book of it all.

I'm not really talking about sustained success, I'm talking about success on arrival. 

Flash's premier had how many viewers over 4.5m? And its ratings were probably the best the network has ever had for a premier? That success was because Flash was a better known hero, and one more people knew about. 

LoT had what... Half of that? Flash had a higher jumping off point. 

• Love 2

Flash is broadly successful because it's a live action Saturday morning cartoon. And who doesn't like cartoons? (Besides me)

Agreed. I don't care about a single one of the characters, Barry is a moron, and a lot of it is completely nonsensical/ridiculous, but it is fun to watch.

• Love 7

Telepathic Gorilla. Also daylight. Cisco?

To expand on this:

1) it embraces the fantastical elements from its comic book origins; 2) it's lighter in tone - literally; 3) and it has more relatable characters, with Cisco in particular being an audience surrogate.

Also, there's that dude on Big Bang Theory wearing a Flash t-shirt one week, and a full Flash costume the next week, rinse repeat. It's an incredibly beloved character that's more ingrained into non-geek popular culture than every other character on the 3 shows put together.

• Love 11

I think that The Flash has the advantage that they are only in their second season.  Arrow's first two seasons were pretty decent, if I remember correctly.  Season 3 is where I recall everything turning to shit.  Also, The Flash hasn't reached the point where they are focusing more on Barry in a relationship with whomever his endgame partner is going to be.  I imagine that's coming next season.  It's a happy, fun show now, but oh, once the relationship happens, something tells me that we'll all be hearing about how romance is absolutely ruining! The Flash. The show is no longer fun anymore, there's too much angst, Barry's girlfriend is awful, blah, blah, blah.  

• Love 7

LOT is gonna get their budget cut massively.

Ooh, maybe no Cane Toad/BR next season!

Although he's not the only reason I'm not watching now...I find the Jax and Kendra actors to be terrible. Yes, I know some people are fine with them or think they're improving; I think they're terrible, and I will hate the Cane Toad until the day I die.

• Love 2

The Flash hasn't reached the point where they are focusing more on Barry in a relationship with whomever his endgame partner is going to be.  I imagine that's coming next season.  It's a happy, fun show now, but oh, once the relationship happens, something tells me that we'll all be hearing about how romance is absolutely ruining! The Flash. The show is no longer fun anymore, there's too much angst, Barry's girlfriend is awful, blah, blah, blah.  

Something tells me that that will be Arrow's fault, too. And Arrow's shippers'.

Edited by looptab
  • Love 2
Then why just talk about herself, she pretty much ignored how tough it would be for Jax.

She wasn't talking just about herself. She was talking about LGBT community and women in general. Sara has always been about not wanting women to be controlled by men. How was she ignoring Jax? He pointed that out because Stein was reminiscing about how great the time was. They both talked about how it wasn't. No one was ignoring anyone's plight. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 4