Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Five-0, Legends, Lucifer, Supernatural, NCIS, S.W.A.T., Nashville Finale and More
By Matt Webb Mitovich / July 26 2018, 1:31 PM PDT
https://tvline.com/2018/07/26/hawaii-five-0-season-9-spoilers-steve-danny-expendables/

Do you have any information on Iris’ handwritten vows from last year’s Arrowverse crossover? Will The Flash‘s Nora use that to somehow prove her identity to Barry and Iris? —Kendra
Ah, a fan of my Pinned Tweet from eight months ago. Well, after the Flash team’s visit to out Comic-Con suite, I remembered to ask showrunner Todd Helbing if, in fact, we will see those vows again. Perhaps in Nora’s possession. And his answer was… nope. [Sigh]
Can Legends of Tomorrow fans look forward to any new romances this season? –Dee
There’s sort of “new” one — in that EP Phil Klemmer told me there is a plan to establish a romance of Constantine’s that presumably took place between the end of his eponymous NBC series and the character’s arrival in the Arrowverse. That relationship, with a man, will have had tragic overtones, and as such still haunts John.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

So apparently The Flash's S5 theme is legacy... Hmm, Arrow's S5 theme was legacy...

FLASH SEASON 5: Updated Powers, New Big Bad & Nora’s Secret From the Future
Published on Jul 26, 2018, by DC

One moment you're married, and the next you have a kid! A fully grown time-traveling kid from the future...with speed powers. Yes, in The Flash's fifth season, things for Barry get no less complicated, so we spoke with the cast of the hit #DCTV series to help us unravel it all. Who is Nora Allen? What's the deal with the heavy breathing new villain? Will Cecile keep her powers? How will Ralph Dibny handle being back from the dead? And perhaps most important...will we be getting another Wells?

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 26/07/2018 at 7:17 PM, lemotomato said:

That makes me wonder if the shady tweets/IG stories CP has been posting since the spring have been about DP directing an episode. IIRC, that’s when shows start lining up directors for the next season.

Er... DP's been shading CP for years. In the AJK era, she consistently "promoted" show episodes by sharing promo photos that don't have Candice in it. She somehow managed to promote an Iris-centric episode "Run, Iris, Run" with a photo that had every member of the cast in it but Candice.  She's liked tweets that dissed Iris/Candice/Westallen, and recently gave an interview in SDCC where in answer to a question about how her character's and Iris's friendship will further in season 5, she said that it didn't make sense for Iris to be in Star Labs and she needed her own identity outside the Flash. Which makes sense considering that in season 2, she said she missed being the only girl in Star Labs. Meanwhile, CP has for years been advocating for stronger female friendships and richer female interactions in the show. 

Edited by Katsullivan
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Katsullivan said:

Er... DP's been shading CP for years. She consistently "promotes" show episodes by sharing promo photos that don't have Candice in it. She somehow managed to promote an Iris-centric episode "Run, Iris, Run" with a photo that had every member of the cast in it but Candice.  She's liked tweets that dissed Iris/Candice/Westallen, and recently gave an interview in SDCC where in answer to a question about how her character's and Iris's friendship will further in season 5, she said that it didn't make sense for Iris to be in Star Labs and she needed her own identity outside the Flash. Which makes sense considering that in season 2, she said she missed being the only girl in Star Labs. Meanwhile, CP has for years been advocating for stronger female friendships and richer female interactions in the show. 

I just quickly checked her insta and I found 3 photos with CP in them for flash promo. So I don't think it's right when you wrote she constantly leaves out CP while promoting the show on her own insta.

I just quickly looked. There are probably more.

CP posted the Flash school photo from 2018 SDCC and the last time she posted a photo of DP was in July 22, 2017 SDCC cast photo of all of them.

Edited by olicityfan25
7 hours ago, olicityfan25 said:

I just quickly checked her insta and I found 3 photos with CP in them for flash promo. So I don't think it's right when you wrote she constantly leaves out CP while promoting the show on her own insta.

I just quickly looked. There are probably more.

CP posted the Flash school photo from 2018 SDCC and the last time she posted a photo of DP was in July 22, 2017 SDCC cast photo of all of them.

You're wrong about three things: First, the last photo with DP in it is January 18 2018, with Caity Lotz. Second, that's not the last time she posted a picture of DP, that's the last photo of DP that CP did not delete when she scrubbed her Instagram this year of all their "duo" pictures (as themselves and as their characters). CP had a bunch of CP/DP and Iris/Caitlin pictures that she took down after whatever it was that DP did to make her make such a blatant statement of their relationship. Third, DP's instagram photos of CP look very different now from how they looked in the AJK-era. AJK was a personal friend of DP and gave her the role, which was meant for an older woman, without an audition. I imagine that the power play and politics while he was there and after he was gone, are very different.

All that aside, if my co-worker was liking offensive tweets about me, I won't have been following her on social media. 

If my co-worker was implying that I was invading her "turf" (only girl in Star Labs), I won't have friendly photos of us together to take down in the first place. 

If my co-worker was giving interviews where her answer to the question was "can we see more of your characters's friendship?" was "errr... I don't understand what she's doing in my territory", then I think CP definitely gave DP too many chances to be less shady.

• Love 4

In a reverse parallel to the DP/CP dynamic:

Minka Kelly defends Anna Diop from the racist backlash from her Titans' casting (for perspective Anna Diop is playing an orange alien character)

Here's her instagram post:

"I would like to take a moment to acknowledge how proud and excited I am to be working alongside @The_AnnaDiop. In my humble opinion, @DCUTitans, @theDCuniverse and all of their fans are lucky to have her talent, her grace and her beauty on board," Kelly, who plays Dove, wrote alongside a series of photos of Diop in character. "While the abhorrent racism in this country seems to be going nowhere anytime soon (#NiaWilson), the dignity, strength and couth my friend continues to exemplify in the face of it humbles and inspires me."

"That so many racist cowards would take the time to attack her Instagram so that she has to shut off comments after having already shut down her entire account once before over this bullshit makes me feel rage. Though I also feel a small relief knowing how strong and thick-skinned Anna is. I know she is and will be OK," she continued. "It takes zero courage to sit in your dark lonely room spewing your venom online while protected by your anonymous faceless accounts."

"I cannot begin to fathom the courage it requires everyday just to exist as a black woman in this country (#ChikesiaClemons) let alone to also have the audacity to fight for and follow your dreams. I bow to you, Anna. I can’t wait for everyone to see the brilliant work you’ve done," Kelly concluded. "Shine on, my love. You are a queen and all the people who matter know it. #IStandWithAnnaDiop ?✨."

• Love 8

Is it fair to imply DP is racist for being ambitious or trying to protect her role?  Not saying DP is doing a great job answering questions about character friendships but as awkward as it may be, DP is not wrong about Iris invading her turf.  Caitlin used to do a lot more exposition and now Iris gets the majority of that since she’s now team leader.  Caitlin also gets to do a lot more now with Killer Frost but DP’s role in the show did change IMO the most when they brought Iris in and of course Caitlin has about zero heart to hearts with Barry now.  Maybe he’ll be the one she talks to if upset but she no longer gets to be Barry’s counselor at Star Labs.  Which is completely reasonable characterwise but as an actor perhaps counting their lines and wondering about job security, I can see where she might feel threatened.

Even if DP did have hopes for Snowbarry to be a thing or was pulling shady stuff to encourage it to happen, does not mean it’s racially motivated.  Competitive and maybe overly ambitious or even unfriendly but assigning other motives seems unfair. People can be asses without it being about race.  Some women don’t get along with other women.  

• Love 18
(edited)

Among a lot of other things, Kyle, Shirley and Chance discussed the Aquaman SDCC trailer and found it disappointing (bad sfx, bad dialogue). They liked the Arrow trailer and made comparisons to The Punisher, Daredevil and Eastern Promises. They were perplexed by the Titans trailer and who was the target audience (Suicide Squad version of Teen Titans, "strangely violent," "forced edginess")...

Entertainment Weekly - Superhero Insider: Comic-Con Recap
July 27, 2018   Kyle Anderson, Shirley Li and Chance Agard

Here's the Aquaman SDCC trailer...

(FilmIsNow Movie Trailers)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, BkWurm1 said:

Caitlin has about zero heart to hearts with Barry now.  Maybe he’ll be the one she talks to if upset but she no longer gets to be Barry’s counselor at Star Labs.

If we're talking purely professional ambition, then DP should have pushed for Killervibe as the Flash's Fitzsimmons, instead of shutting it down every time it's come up in an interview. The show's consistently written that relationship as important to both characters and given them a lot of heart-to-heart moments. It would have been a two-fer by not just securing her position but saving production the cost of bringing in another actress to play Cisco's LI. It certainly would have made more long-term professional sense then demanding for a storyline that was always intended to be temporary, and ended in s1 when Iris discovered Barry's identity and reclaimed her role as his most important confidante. 

1 hour ago, BkWurm1 said:

Which is completely reasonable characterwise but as an actor perhaps counting their lines and wondering about job security, I can see where she might feel threatened.

Well by that logic, CP should have been the one shading the other actor and being threatened since until recently (season 3), DP was consistently having more lines than any other female actor on the show, except the occasional guest star like MB. Rather, CP advocated for more interaction between the women, no doubt because of her feminist values but also because she didn't think it necessarily had to be a zero-sum game.

And as we can see from Minka Kelly's statement, not every white actress in DC thinks her black co-star is a rival to take down. 

If DP thinks it is a zero-sum-game and she's willing to use racist sentiment to get rid of her "competition", then she should anticipate the backlash that comes with that behaviour. It might have been acceptable in the past (and when she had the showrunner in her backpocket), but nothing stays the same forever. As can be seen with CP's and EBR's recent social media actions --- that kind of behaviour tends to, as the saying goes, come back to "bite you in the a$$."

If anything, I think her blatant statements in SDCC indicate that the chickens have come home to roost, and DP has nothing left to lose on this show. Time will tell. 

Edited by Katsullivan
  • Love 4
(edited)

Video of this SDCC panel was previously posted upthread...

SDCC 2018: Musical Anatomy Of A Superhero Panel Review
JULY 27TH, 2018 BY NICHOLAS GRAFF
http://sciencefiction.com/2018/07/27/sdcc-2018-musical-anatomy-superhero-panel/

Again this year I was able to attend one of my favorite panels at San Diego Comic-Con, titled ‘Musical Anatomy of A Superhero,’ where they gather composers currently working on superhero movies and television shows and put them on a panel to discuss their craft and the work they are currently doing. This year they managed to gather Blake Neely (Arrow,’ ‘The Flash,’ ‘Supergirl,’ ‘Legends Of Tomorrow‘), Kurt Farquhar (‘Black Lightning’), Tyler Bates (‘Guardians Of The Galaxy’ Vol 1 and 2), Mark Isham (‘Cloak And Dagger‘) and Christophe Becke (‘Ant-Man And The Wasp‘), who were all more than happy to share their experiences and stories with the audiences, as well as some clips from their shows and movies that highlighted some of their work.

Most interesting to me was to learn from Tyler Bates that James Gunn was the only director he ever worked with that had him write music ahead of time and then play it for the actors on set to help set the tone of the scene with the actors often wearing earbuds listening to the music while delivering their lines, buds that the post-production team then paints out later. Blake Neely spoke on how important it was for his work to make sure every show in the Arrowverse has a very distinct sound and theme, so that when he really gets in the thick of it, and is exhausted, he does not accidentally write a great piece of music for ‘Supergirl’ and realize it actually had ‘The Flash’ theme in it. It was also interesting to hear Kurt Farquhar talk about the dance between music and dialogue, how a composer has to make sure that they do not step on each other, but rather enhance and highlight one-another. And most interesting, Christophe Beck talked about how one of the coolest pieces of music from ‘Ant-Man And The Wasp,’ the dark version of the theme that is heard during the post-credits scene

Spoiler

when the Pym family disappears due to Thanos’s snap,

was something that he NEVER thought would make it into the movie, as it was a piece of music he almost wrote by accident and did not think it would fit anywhere in the film as it the movie was so light-hearted and fun.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

And as we can see from Minka Kelly's statement, not every white actress in DC thinks her black co-star is a rival to take down. 

And my point was that the rivalry very likely is only about a rivalry and I've not seen where she was using "racist sentiment to get rid of her competition."

Well by that logic, CP should have been the one shading the other actor and being threatened since until recently (season 3), DP was consistently having more lines than any other female actor on the show, except the occasional guest star like MB. 

But DP having something and losing it was what I was pointing out that she seemed to be pointing out by her comment about her turf.  CP had gained something in the move to Star Labs and we do know that she's had to fight for a storyline for Iris over the years.  Chances are pretty good that The Flash set was not a great environment for any female character development for a long time.  Caitlin certain was stuck as the doomed, rinse and repeat, love interest.  The only strength of character she had was in her Star Labs contributions.  Hopefully, it will continue to get better for all women written for on the show now.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, olicityfan25 said:

Why do people bring up EBR? Can't you just keep the convocation about CP and DP? LOL

EBR ghosted DP on social media - unfriending, deleting shared pictures, untagging.

• Love 3
Just now, Katsullivan said:

EBR ghosted DP on social media - unfriending, deleting shared pictures, untagging.

And since she seems very friendly with Candice, I assume this had something to do with whatever went down btw her and DP. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, tv echo said:

So Beebo has already made a cameo in The Flash and will be making a cameo in Supergirl next season (see papp/fan filming tweets posted upthread). Now Beebo just needs to make a cameo in Arrow - not sure how, though.

The next time Diggle has a scene with baby Sara JJ, he could be playing with a Beebo doll. Because as far as I can remember JJ is still young enough to own stuffed animals.

• Love 4
(edited)
9 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

Is it fair to imply DP is racist for being ambitious or trying to protect her role?  

I mean, unless something blatant comes out we won’t know for sure... but imo she is. Back during season 1, I followed her (just like I did GG), and she rtd a highly problematic article about race. I wish I could remember what it was, if you’re brave enough I’m sure twitter has receipts. But I remember being shocked and mad, I quickly unfollowed. She got DRAGGED and deleted it, make some stupid excuse and went on. Danielle’s answer about Iris this year isn’t surprising. In the past she has been totally dismissive of Iris/CP, and I mean way back before Iris was in star labs. In a lot of ways, she’s been way shadier about Iris/CP than KC has been about Felicity/EBR and that’s a feat imo.

also just to add I am not a WA shipper. I love Iris she deserves better and hotter than Barry lol. Because I know a lot of times ppl think only WA shippers have issues with DP.

Edited by JJ928
  • Love 7
(edited)
2 hours ago, calliope1975 said:

Perhaps CL should rethink this Shethority thing. 

I'm not sure what you're implying here but Shethority was founded by CL & CP. After seasons of being isolated, I'm just glad that CP has the female support that she's always wanted. 

25 minutes ago, JJ928 said:

In the past she has been totally dismissive of Iris/CP, and I mean way back before Iris was in star labs. In a lot of ways, she’s been way shadier about Iris/CP than KC has been about Felicity/EBR and that’s a feat imo.

Yeah, I remember an interview she did mid-season 1 where she pitched Snowbarry in response to the interviewer's question about Caitlin/Ronnie. For all the claims of being professionally ambitious, she seemed to have no concept of her character - Caitlin's priorities, desires, general arc. 

Edited by Katsullivan
  • Love 5
(edited)

‘Supergirl’: Rhona Mitra To Play Mercy Graves On The CW Series, Robert Baker Also Cast
by Nellie Andreeva • July 27, 2018
https://deadline.com/2018/07/supergirl-rhona-mitra-mercy-graves-on-the-cw-series-robert-baker-also-cast-1202435472/

EXCLUSIVE: A new villain is rising in National City. Rhona Mitra has been tapped for a recurring role on the CW’s series Supergirl as Mercy Graves, Lex Luthor’s longtime bodyguard. Also cast in a recurring role on the DC series is Robert Baker, who will play Mercy’s brother, Otis Graves.

Based on the iconic DC character, Mercy Graves (Mitra) is an ex-CADMUS agent who  has always believed in human exceptionalism. But with both Lex and Lillian in prison, Mercy is stepping out of the Luthor shadow and running her own show. With her biting wit and lethal brawn, Mercy steadily becomes a key figure in National City’s growing “human-first” movement.

Baker’s Otis Graves is Mercy’s defacto right hand man. What he lacks in brains, he makes up for with his savant-like abilities to assassinate aliens. Otis is a character from the Superman movies with Christopher Reeve and has not been featured in comic books.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4
(edited)

This July 19th SDCC panel was hilarious (video below)...

SDCC 2018: SYFY’s The Great Debate Panel Review
JULY 27TH, 2018 BY NICHOLAS GRAFF
http://sciencefiction.com/2018/07/27/sdcc-syfys-great-debate-panel-2018/

One of the most fun events at San Diego Comic-Con 2018, was SYFY’s ‘The Great Debate,’ where panelists John Barrowman, Orlando Jones, Joe Manganiello, Janet Varney, Felicia Day and Adam Savage, with Aisha Tyler as the moderator, debated all the big fan questions of the day, with hilarious results.

The highlights of the panel had to be Orlando Jones and John Barrowman, the latter of which was not amused when he was asked to defend Captain Kirk due to an ongoing Twitter war with William Shatner, but admitted that Kirk the character was pretty great, ending by saying “…but you Shatner, I’m tired of!” Jones also had a great comment when the discussion turned to whether they would rather live in King’s Landing or Marvel’s New York, and Jones pointed out that King’s Landing has “no black people and white walkers… no way.” I also enjoyed the panel completely trashing the Green Lantern rings, especially Adam Savage who called the Rings completely “lame” when compared to an Infinity Stone or a Wizard Wand.
TOPIC 1: George Lucas VS Stan Lee – Stan Lee was clear winner

TOPIC 2: Would You Rather Be A Citizen In King’s Landing (‘Game Of Thrones’) or A Citizen In New York In Marvel Comics – Came out to be about a tie

TOPIC 3: Who Is The Best Chris? Hemsworth, Pratt, Evans, or Pine? – I believe after MUCH debate Hemsworth was the winner.

TOPIC 4: Who Is The Greatest Captain Between Captain America, Han Solo, Captain Kirk, Captain Planet, Cap’N Crunch, Malcolm Reynolds, or Jack Harkness? – Captain Mal Reynolds Winner!

TOPIC 5: Who Wins In A Fight: X-Men, Avengers, Or Justice League? – Justice League was the pretty clear winner.

TOPIC 6: Would You Rather Have a Green Lantern Ring, ONE Infinity Stone, or a Wizard Wand? – Wizard Wand is the winner

SDCC 2018: SYFY The Great Debate - Full Panel
Published on Jul 24, 2018, by Malice Corp

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

SDCC 2018: Arrow - James Bamford (Director)
Published on Jul 24, 2018, by haydenclaireheroes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGFm56KzmlI

-- When fan asked about the possibility of Felicity and Iris having a nice friendship scene in order to "mend fandoms" (due to the double wedding), JBamford replied: "I had a lot of scenes in last year's crossover with Emily and Candice, and we just had the greatest time ever. And it's like, afterwards, everybody's texting each other, 'Hey, did you have any pictures of when we were on set?' ... There's no ill will whatsoever, so the fans should know that, you know. Everybody... we're all a big family and, um, no amount of, you know, 'this, this, hate each other, bleh, bleh.' That's not going to change it, so - everybody loves each other." 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Ha!  I agreed with them on their winners.  Lol.  

Hemsworth, obviously!  Malcolm Reynold, by a mile!

AndI mean, I love the Marvel movies so much more but the Justice League would pound the Avengers before they stopped snarking or emoting.  At least the animated version would, lol.  

1 minute ago, tv echo said:

SDCC 2018: Arrow - James Bamford (Director)
Published on Jul 24, 2018, by haydenclaireheroes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGFm56KzmlI

-- On the possibility of Felicity and Iris having a nice friendship scene in order to "mend fandoms" (due to the double wedding), JBamford: "I had a lot of scenes in last year's crossover with Emily and Candice, and we just had the greatest time ever. And it's like, afterwards, everybody's texting each other, 'Hey, did you have any pictures of when we were on set?' ... There's no ill will whatsoever, so the fans should know that, you know. Everybody... we're all a big family and, um, no amount of, you know, 'this, this, hate each other, bleh, bleh.' That's not going to change it, so - everybody loves each other." 

Did it annoy anyone else that Bamford was giving interviews?  I know he's a director and has a producer's title but even in his interviews, he admitted to having no sway over the storylines.  I just found it really odd to bring a director or a stunt coordinator to SDCC to represent the show.  

• Love 5
On 28/07/2018 at 3:08 PM, Katsullivan said:

I don't know why but I was thinking since DP is so close with MG and his wife then this has something to do with what went down when EBR decided to speak up. I could totally be wrong though. So, just gonna say this is what I think. 

(edited)
10 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

Did it annoy anyone else that Bamford was giving interviews?  I know he's a director and has a producer's title but even in his interviews, he admitted to having no sway over the storylines.  I just found it really odd to bring a director or a stunt coordinator to SDCC to represent the show.  

I find everything about Bamford's rise to power odd.  And then I remember the Old Boys Club.

Going by what he said in the interviews posted in the spoiler thread, I don't think should be giving interviews about the show.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, TwistedandBored said:

I don't know why but I was thinking since DP is so close with MG and his wife then this has something to do with what went down when EBR decided to speak up. I could totally be wrong though. So, just gonna say this is what I think. 

I've never seen any mention of MG or his wife having anything to do with DP (unless I missed something) - I think you're thinking of AK. 

• Love 1

I can not believe someone actually asked Bamford about whether the show was going to do something to "mend fandoms" over the wedding. How embarrassing. Move on people and find better things to think about.

• Love 4
(edited)

You really think the LoT writers had any choice in writing the wedding. That was a was given to them and would've been given to whoever had the last episode. The Arrow writers were well aware it was happening and could've said something if they really wantes too.

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 2
(edited)

If the LoT writers "had no choice", then what makes you think whatever the Arrow writers said could've changed anything?

The script for the crossover got approved by every EP of every show involved. If anyone had a problem with it-- including the Flash EPs and Berlanti-- they should've said something. They didn't. That's certainly not the responsibility that falls on the Arrow writers.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 18

It was already confirmed the wedding was Berlanti’s choice, and it was one of the first things he decided on when breaking the crossover. I don’t think anyone can override GB, and I don’t think the EPs from the shows cared enough to try. Imo the only reason olicity had a ceremony on Arrow, is because MG knew fans would rage otherwise. There was nothing stopping Flash from doing the same for WA. As for LOT, by now Klemmer knows it’s the red headed step child. The crossover before this one ended with Barry and Oliver together instead of the shows cast (if I’m  remembering this correctly). At the end of the day, Barry and Oliver are always going to be given priority over other characters (including SG these ppl love their dudes).

• Love 8

The only reason though I can't fully be sympathetic to LoT as the red-headed step child of the Arrowverse is because it used so much time, effort, and money from Arrow and Flash specifically, so LoT giving some time back to Flash and Arrow doesn't seem that outrageous to me, even though I can sympathize with fans who want to see more of the characters they love over characters from another show. 

• Love 10
(edited)

Bex Taylor-Klaus Wants to Be the Lesbian Batwoman We Need Right Now 
Jack DeVries  July 28, 2018
http://fandom.wikia.com/articles/bex-taylor-klaus-kate-kane-batwoman

Bex Taylor-Klaus has stolen our hearts numerous times over. For many fans they’re known for playing the fearless and badass Sin on Arrow. Horror fans will remember Taylor-Klaus as the bisexual bestie Audrey on the MTV series Scream (honestly, the best part of that show, let’s be real). And who can forget their portrayal of Pidge the genius, gender nonbinary Paladin in Voltron: Legendary Defender?

But Taylor-Klaus has their sight set on another role, that of the heroic caped crusader, Batwoman.
With the recent announcement that Batwoman is coming to the CW family of shows, it’s the perfect time to talk about this. While chatting with FANDOM at Comic-Con, Taylor-Klaus expressed interest in playing Batwoman, X-23, or other “queer or … gender nonbinary heroines” (check the video above for their full quote).

Beyond the fact that they’d be awesome in a full on superhero role, Taylor-Klaus brings up another important reason the role is a perfect fit. In the comics, the current iteration of Batwoman, Kate Kane, is an out and proud lesbian with a Jewish heritage. Hey, that sounds like someone we know!

Edited by tv echo

I don't believe it's the writers' responsibility to "mend fandoms," but it might have helped if the Flash writers didn't add fuel to the fire by having Iris snark on Oliver and Felicity. Then again, I think the shows are perfectly fine with fandom being messy and having ship wars. It seems to me the whole outrage over the double wedding was the only time the WestAllens got any real buzz for their ship. 

• Love 12

Writers definitely don’t wanna mend fandoms lol. You’re 100% right the infighting helps with social media buzz. I mean, if the shows cared even a tiny bit they would have done something about the abuse the actors get, but that works for them too. As long as people are engaged and talking (no matter what or why) CW is happy. I will never understand why olicity and WA fans fight so much (they did before the wedding too), because both fandom imo are very similar. I guess that could be why, still doesn’t make sense to me.

• Love 4

Seeing the bitterness still surrounding that wedding, I think the only way to mend anything for the people who are upset about it would be for Oliver and Felicity to get hit by a truck, LOL. I see more anger at O/F for interrupting vomit-adjacent vows in a dog park than at actual Nazis for interrupting what was shaping up to be a really nice ceremony. There's no fixing that, even if anyone wanted to (and they likely don't care). 

• Love 14
(edited)

Sometimes I think fans ignore the fact that both Arrow/Flash follow similar patterns. I know fans from both sides like to think that their show is the outlier, but the truth is Berlanti does not stray too far from his tropes. They may be implemented differently, but it's the same shit at the end of the day: Interrupted/canceled wedding, jail, parent killed in front of you & one already dead at the start, season 1 love triangle with odd man out dying, etc... Hell, these aren't even exclusive to his comic shows, he uses a lot of these on his reg tv shows too. 

Edited by JJ928
  • Love 9

The Flash writers have the chance to fix their fandom's bruised feelings-- because let's face it, only one side is still angry and complaining about the double wedding 9 months later-- by making the Flash 100th episode all about WA. Have everyone line up and call them "the gold standard" a couple times at an elaborate vow renewal ceremony.

• Love 6
42 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

I don't believe it's the writers' responsibility to "mend fandoms," but it might have helped if the Flash writers didn't add fuel to the fire by having Iris snark on Oliver and Felicity. 

Yeah. To the extent fandoms need to be "mended," it certainly doesn't fall to the Arrow writers. They may have had their hands tied by the double wedding, but instead of choosing to be bitter about it, they responded by giving Olicity (and the fans) a beautiful celebration (that would have lasted the entire episode if Beth had her way, LOL). The Flash writers could've given the same gift to their fandom by celebrating the joy of WestAllen's marriage, but for whatever reason, they chose not to. They're the ones who engendered bad feelings on both sides; if it needs fixing, it's on them. But, honestly, at this point, they can't "fix" anything. No one's going to forget how Iris reacted. They might as well just own it in future crossovers.

• Love 11