Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

Didn't mind the pilot but glad Constantine got rid of the girl in the Pilot.

I think it needs to be a big damn hero to succeed on a more ruthless tv network.

Love Constantine, really bummed that it's probably gone
  • Love 1

Batman v Superman's leaked trailer mocked for being too dark

"The Dawn of Justice trailer, which appeared online shortly after Star Wars, has elicited a poor reaction from fans criticising dark visuals and being too bleak"

By Kat Brown10:05AM BST 17 Apr 2015

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/film-news/11544209/Batman-v-Supermans-leaked-trailer-mocked-for-being-too-dark.html

That was my first thought too...it was way too dark.  Superman is not dark, people!!!  I sincereously hope this grim superhero movie trend dies a painful death soon.

• Love 5

That was my first thought too...it was way too dark.  Superman is not dark, people!!!  I sincereously hope this grim superhero movie trend dies a painful death soon.

This. It's so completely dumb. I was just talking to a friend about the trailer, and she pointed out the irony that "the dude RUNS on freaking sunshine". So of course you make Superman bleak and shrouded in darkness, that makes total sense. Uh-huh.

• Love 5

DC really knows how to take the joy out of everything. They took the symbol of HOPE in Superman and are comparing him to Hitler or something. Then we have growly Batman again. 

This is my favorite Batman Vs. Superman pairing. 

• Love 4

Funny thing is, I'm a person who hates Superman because he's too much of an escapist character and way too idealistic and optimistic... But even with this supposed "dark" version, I would still not want to watch him, because in the end, he's still freaking Superman, and there's only so much real darkness he can take. PG or PG-13 darkness still looks pretty tame to me, so what's the point? Just do a feel-good movie that the fans of the character want. You won't convince people like me who are skeptical in the first place.

(Well, I may still watch this movie, but only for Wonder Woman, and only if I hear good reviews).

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 2

I must be a total fangirl because I think the promo looks awesome and I love the direction they seem to be going with it.  The idea that Superman wouldn't be immediately loved and adored works for me.  He is a super powerful alien who can decimate armies and humans have no reason to instantly trust that he is THE good guy.  The fact that people like Luther are trying to influence him to look bad also makes a lot of sense.

For Batman to investigate Superman is great and I want to see their journey to becoming allies.  I am also very curious how the world's heroes are going to "come out of the closet" during this movie and form the Justice League.  I think adding a bit of realism and appropriate amounts of skepticism from the public toward these characters will improve their hero stories, not diminish them.

Finally, I do get that going too dark and morose can get boring, so I hope there are some comedic moments. My only criticisms of Man of Steel were that it was a little too long (and I like long movies so for me to say that is saying something) and that the kiss felt completely out of place. I may be one of the only people around who didn't love the Nolan movies, but that wasn't because he went too dark (all though a little more sarcastic comedy would have been nice) but because we never got to see Batman BE Batman.  I much preferred Keaton's movies where he was already an urban legend and we got to see him be Batman, not learn that he stopped fighting crime for several years to just make one last grand stand and then run away with Catwoman. 

But anyway, my point is that while I love the Marvel setup with comedy in the middle of the drama, I don't mind the grittier DC movies as long as they are well done and the heroes get to be heroes.  I just hope someone keeps the editing tight on this next movie because the fight scenes in MoS really did go on too long there at the end.

• Love 2
I don't mind the grittier DC movies as long as they are well done and the heroes get to be heroes.

Thing is, they aren't really gritty. At least for me. The Dark Knight was the closest, with killing Rachel and Harvey Dent's whole arc, but even it had the perfunctorily idealistic outcome with the boats. I don't mind grittiness. Hell, I LOVE grittiness. I just feel like if you decide to go into this direction, you should go all the way, not just add some people dying in the background and lots of darkness.

• Love 2

Thing is, they aren't really gritty. At least for me. The Dark Knight was the closest, with killing Rachel and Harvey Dent's whole arc, but even it had the perfunctorily idealistic outcome with the boats. I don't mind grittiness. Hell, I LOVE grittiness. I just feel like if you decide to go into this direction, you should go all the way, not just add some people dying in the background and lots of darkness.

I just meant gritty compared to Marvel - and I mean that mostly in terms of comedy being woven into the storyline.  I just finished episode 6 of Daredevil last night and that is definitely gritty side to Marvel. They have some one-off lines that turn out to be funny, but nothing like the Avengers movie.  Though it does seem that with the Civil War story, Marvel might be headed down a slightly darker storytelling path as well.

I just think the idea that people might actually be freaked out by Superman rather than seeing him as the All-American BoyScout right from the start makes a lot of sense - he isn't a war hero like Steve Rogers (his Marvel counterpart).  So while I grew up with repeated stories about a bright, shiny Superman - I think this current story is a cool take on it.  And we know the end result will be Justice League and should be a Superman that everyone loves - they are just getting there a little more realistically.  Now if they don't take it to that positive place by Justice League where all the heroes are seen as heroes and they are just fighting one big bad colossal bad guy - I might side eye it.  But for now, I can weigh and let them build the world.

Speaking of Daredevil - I rather enjoyed how they kind of made fun of the "no killing rule" for vigilantes in this episode with the "you threw him off a roof and put him in a coma" "But he was still breathing" and "you can't kill me yourself, but you can stand there and watch me die" lines.  It has always seemed an odd way to draw the line between good guys and bad guys as the good guys don't kill.  It never bothered me in season one when Oliver was killing because he seemed to only do it when he had to.  Sure, it would be great if he could web them up and drop them off at the police ala Spiderman, but sometimes that might not be possible.  Which brings us to Merlyn and the lack of justice on Arrow in regards to that character.  It seems as if he is never going to pay for his crimes all because not only will Oliver not kill anymore but he won't even allow Thea to be indirectly responsible for Merlyn's death. The message is very conflicting - we fight for justice, but not if it means killing.  If it means killing, we will let a murderer and madman go free.  Ok then.

• Love 2

I think it's actually a good story idea that the world doesn't instantly fall in love with Superman. For the general public, who didn't get the insight of Lois and the soldiers who survived, he's an alien with unbelievable powers who's been hiding on Earth for years, and whose mere presence brought more super powered aliens who in turn tried to destroy the world. And for a paranoid nutjob like Bruce Wayne (nothing against the character, Batman is my DC favorite but let's face it he's not got all his ducks in a row) somebody with laser eye vision who can bring down buildings is a threat, period.

• Love 6

Hmm... who could this Marvel superhero be?

Marvel teaming with John Ridley for mysterious superhero project -- exclusive
BY JAMES HIBBERD   Posted April 17 2015 — 1:16 PM EDT
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/04/17/marvel-john-ridley

Let the speculation begin: EW has learned that Oscar-winning writer-producer John Ridley (12 Years a Slave) is teaming up with Marvel to develop a mysterious new TV series.

We hear the deal involves reinventing an existing Marvel superhero character or property for ABC—but all sides are staying quiet on exactly which title Ridley is adapting.

This comes on the heels of EW breaking the news that Marvel and ABC are also developing a spinoff series to The Avengers tie-in Agents of SHIELD.
Marvel’s aggressive expansion into television now includes four current series (ABC’s SHIELD, Agent Carter—which is on the bubble for a pickup—and Netflix’s Daredevil), plus several confirmed upcoming titles (Netflix’s A.K.A. Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist, followed by the Netflix character mash-up The Defenders). Neither Marvel nor ABC would comment on the Ridley project.

Edited by tv echo

This group of EPs certainly have a knack for creating polarizing women characters.  People complain about the way that Laurel discussion dominates all of the threads here, but guess what?  The same exact thing plays out over in The Flash forum.  Episode discussions are dominated by talk of Iris, the relationship thread is dominated by talk of Iris, and you'll never guess which thread has the most replies.  That's right, the Iris West thread.  I think that they've fucked this up...again.  I might have to bail fairly soon.  I don't enjoy self-torture.

• Love 2

The best thing about that trailer was seeing my city. I'm happy to see Chicago as Gotham again.   

Was that the skyline behind the opening shot with the statue?  I think it was supposed to be Metropolis.  (The best bit I heard at the start of production is that the part of Metropolis would be played by Chicago, while the part of Gotham City would be played by Detroit.)

I just think the idea that people might actually be freaked out by Superman rather than seeing him as the All-American BoyScout right from the start makes a lot of sense - he isn't a war hero like Steve Rogers (his Marvel counterpart).

I've never bought that Cap = Superman, even though they are both optimistic heroes.  I totally agreed with the pairing of Cap and Batman in the DC Versus Marvel series from the 90s. (Also, by that time I also agreed that Superman and Hulk were a more even match too, especially as the Hulk wasn't mindless by that point.) The Big Blue Boy Scout nickname came after Superman's repeated doing good. He earned it, no doubt as his movie counterpart will. So did Cap, but! After Steve was thawed out, people who thought he was just a legend or whatever needed to have Cap prove that he was worthy of the respect of the current world. Even Tony Stark needed a come to Cap moment and realize that Steve was the real effing deal.

I like sunny heroes mixed with my more dour ones, so while I can agree with this...

I think adding a bit of realism and appropriate amounts of skepticism from the public toward these characters will improve their hero stories, not diminish them.

I did not get that feel from the trailer. It felt very God Loves, Man Kills, especially with the graphitti  on the statue of Supes.  IA that skeptical Earthlings being skeptical is a good place after the wreck-n-ruin of MoS, but just going by the trailer? Not trusting them.  I will say Affleck looks good with a bit of gray! 

followed by the Netflix character mash-up The Defenders).

I guess some reporters just want to vary their word usage, but The Defenders is a team-up. Not a mash-up, not a cross-over (per se), not an imaginary story.  They are the non-team team; that's their tag.  Very minor nit, but it's out of my system now.

• Love 1

I just hope that this movie turns out to really be the Superman sequel they promised.  This needs to be told mostly IMO from Superman's POV.  I didn't hate MoS, I mostly liked it but I did extend some good faith because I assumed all the character development I felt was missing would be addressed in the promised sequel.  And then suddenly DC is racing toward a Justice League movie and are jumpstarting it by pulling in Batman (and Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and ...) in Superman's movie. 

I like the idea of it taking some time for Superman to prove himself to the public and Batman is a great detective to take on the task of investigating him, but we still need the character development missing from MoS.  We still need to get to know the open and sunny guy that just wants to help.  Sure, let there be skeptics, but I really hope the movie doesn't further compromise who Superman is supposed to be character wise just to push forward their plans for future movies. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2

I don't think it's a MoS sequel and I don't think it has been for a very long time. When it was first announced a lot of people got upset because we had been told it was going to be a sequel to MoS and all of a sudden they were cramming Batman into it. Ever since they added Wonder Woman (and every other character they can get their hands on) it seems to have pretty much become a Justice League litmus test, to gauge audience interest. If the movie has a singular POV it will almost certainly be Batman's because he is 1) The Normal in comparison to Superman and 2) Their biggest gun. There is a reason it is called Batman vs Superman and not Superman vs Batman or Justice or World's Greatest or anything like that. I will not be surprised if the majority of the focus is on Batman, his reaction to Superman and how other people are interacting with him.

• Love 4

Back to the TV-verse...

If Marvel ends up with four TV shows on the air next season (AOS, AOS spinoff, AC, new superhero), I hope they aren't scheduled directly against Arrow, The Flash, the Spinoff, and Supergirl.  That would be a nightmare of Marvel vs. DC, and all the shows would lose ratings.

Edited by tv echo

Back to the TV-verse...

If Marvel ends up with four TV shows on the air next season (AOS, AOS spinoff, AC, new superhero), I hope they aren't scheduled directly against Arrow, The Flash, the Spinoff, and Supergirl.  That would be a nightmare of Marvel vs. DC, and all the shows would lose ratings.

Not to sound pessimistic, but that seems likely exactly what the networks would do. And personally I hate it when they put the shows that interest the same audience on at the same time. But I guess they are all fighting for ratings, so in their mind its a sound business decision. In my mind, I would not put then all on in direct competition with each other, so that you don't lose viewers. Then again, with all the ways to see shows now, I'm not sure standard TV/Neilson ratings are always what drives TV scheduling.

• Love 1

Not to sound pessimistic, but that seems likely exactly what the networks would do. And personally I hate it when they put the shows that interest the same audience on at the same time. But I guess they are all fighting for ratings, so in their mind its a sound business decision. In my mind, I would not put then all on in direct competition with each other, so that you don't lose viewers. Then again, with all the ways to see shows now, I'm not sure standard TV/Neilson ratings are always what drives TV scheduling.

Hmm... I think the networks might actually try to be smart about this. They have been, so far. They know all these superhero shows more than likely share audiences so they probably will try to avoid scheduling against each other. The Flash is on at 8pm and S.H.I.E.L.D. immediately follows it at 9pm on Tuesdays, albeit on different networks. Gotham airs on Mondays at 8pm and Arrow airs on Wednesdays at 8pm, both against no other comic show at the moment. Constantine used to air on Fridays at 9 then moved to 8pm. Agent Carter airs as a mid-season series in the same timeslot as AOS. All the Marvel series (Daredevil and those still in development/shooting) are/will be available anytime on Netflix. No conflicts. (The only one that does conflict is iZombie, which is on at the same time as AOS, but, although they're both comic book shows, they are of entirely different genres and probably appeals to different audiences, though there may be some overlap.)

I think that CBS and TNT will likely try to find slots in their schedule for Supergirl and Titans that won't directly compete with any of the already established superhero shows. Same with the CW and ABC for the Flash/Arrow spinoff and the AOS spinoff, respectively. However, if any of the shows do end up scheduled at the same time, I'm just glad that there's always DVR, On Demand and, uh, alternative ways online. :)

• Love 1

Hmm... I think the networks might actually try to be smart about this. They have been, so far. They know all these superhero shows more than likely share audiences so they probably will try to avoid scheduling against each other. The Flash is on at 8pm and S.H.I.E.L.D. immediately follows it at 9pm on Tuesdays, albeit on different networks. Gotham airs on Mondays at 8pm and Arrow airs on Wednesdays at 8pm, both against no other comic show at the moment. Constantine used to air on Fridays at 9 then moved to 8pm. Agent Carter airs as a mid-season series in the same timeslot as AOS. All the Marvel series (Daredevil and those still in development/shooting) are/will be available anytime on Netflix. No conflicts. (The only one that does conflict is iZombie, which is on at the same time as AOS, but, although they're both comic book shows, they are of entirely different genres and probably appeals to different audiences, though there may be some overlap.)

I think that CBS and TNT will likely try to find slots in their schedule for Supergirl and Titans that won't directly compete with any of the already established superhero shows. Same with the CW and ABC for the Flash/Arrow spinoff and the AOS spinoff, respectively. However, if any of the shows do end up scheduled at the same time, I'm just glad that there's always DVR, On Demand and, uh, alternative ways online. :)

Maybe its a comic book exception. All the better for the audiences if they can avoid scheduling at the same time. :) I don't particularly watch a lot of comic book shows, so I've never really tracked this genre. But some of the other genres, have not been as fortunate with advertisers & networks trying to steal audiences. I generally prefer the comic movies over the comic TV shows. I like to suspend my belief in the rules realism for few hours every few months, not so much every week. That was one of the reasons, I was surprised I loved Arrow. But it was the gritty, realness to the show and emphasis on character development/relationships/growth that I drew me in, more so than the catch a new villain every week. I also appreciated the lack of an overabundance of CGI or reliance on razzle/dazzle superpowers. Perhaps, that is why arrow is my first comic book show I've watched consistently in a long while. Flash I try to watch live, and catch up when I can't, but honestly their plots I feel are more hit or miss than Arrow in terms of keeping my attention. Because so much revolves around the villain of the week, it can be entertaining or not depending on the villain. I loved the Trickster episode and whatever they having up their sleeves about Wells. But this week's was kinda predictable and run-of-the mill, even with the all-star crossover.

Supergirl seems worth a watch though with Berlanti behind it and I did enjoy the actors playing supergirl & jimmy olsen in other projects so I'll tune in for them. The Spinoff seem interesting, love that Victor Garber will be in it & CL will be back, so it will be watching. But staying invested in it, might come down to what the premise of the show is all about. As of now, we only really know casting and that has been promising. I do binge Gotham in batches, find it works better that way. It becomes hard to remember who the bad guys and the good guys are on that show, since everyone is working an angle, so the binging helps. Plus the kid origin stories are just nicely woven in & those kids can act. Agent of shields lost me in the first season, thought I might return in s2, but then they made one of the guys I'd enjoyed bad and just haven't found interest to go back & even figure out why they did that. My enjoyment of Coulson can only go so far. Plus it conflicted with show I watch @ 930, and after s1 I know only watching half of AoS is just too confusing. I'm still looking for time to stream Agent Carter, since everyone is raving about it, hope they renew it. Maybe it can go into ABC's sunday line-up since that is looking like it might have some slots.

If at all possible, I don't think CBS would schedule Supergirl against Flash or Arrow, if only because they're all from the same producer, and want to stay on good terms.

• Love 4

I'm finding the fight scenes on Daredevil super incredibly boring. Some of them feel stretched to me, lasting way past what they should. Maybe just so the episodes can clock the 58-60 minute mark? Idk, I keep getting distracted during the fights, and end up fast forwarding them. There's only so much patience I have for dudebros doing stage choreography without music. Especially if I see no narrative purpose on the fights being this long.

I've been avoiding the Daredevil discussion until I finished it, but dear lord - yes they find a way to make fight scenes so dull!  The funny thing is that Daredevil made me appreciate Arrow so. much. more!  Look, nonsense plots and weird character development be damned - I love Oliver and Felicity and Diggle and Roy.  I connect with these characters.  I have also enjoyed almost every villain Arrow has given us.

On Daredevil - I admired the performance of the actor playing Kingpin - but I couldn't help sit there thinking - I liked the movie version better.  With Matt himself - same damn thing.  I liked Ben's version better and people use THAT role as the reason why he shouldn't play Batman.  I liked Foggy and Jessica - I mean Karen, but that's about all I got.  I don't know - I like a little man pain, but I don't want to see guys cry this freaking much.  I also don't want to see my hero get the crap beat out of him each and every freaking episode.  When we got to the point where

the "slow" tailor was beating him up - I was just done. Done I tell you. I liked the idea of the Daredevil suit having some armor in it. But why the hell did I have to watch my hero get thrown around by the freaking tailor????

I am a person who usually wants a little more exposition and character development and Daredevil might have convinced me I need to be careful what I wish for in this regards.  One scene with the priest for the whole series would have been enough.  And despite the fact that a lot of things got said - almost too much! - there were still things that needed to be said that are secrets.  I honestly don't know how the heck a show that made me wish they were talking less still managed to have characters keep secrets for next season, but there you go.

As far as the fight scenes themselves were concerned - I actually got so bored during some of them that I was really watching the movement and there were times when you could see one person stop and wait for the other person to do their choreographed move.  I honestly think they need to work on keeping the audience engaged in the fight scenes because I think they failed miserably.  After a few episodes, you know the formula and it isn't a fun formula to watch.  My fiancé and I were dissecting the episodes in the middle of the fight scenes because they were so uninteresting. 

Frankly, I would rather watch Daredevil and Electra spar on the playground from the movie than any of those fight scenes.  Sometimes realistic reactions like humans freaking out about an alien that can't be stopped by armies or guns (Superman) is a cool thing to explore.  Or people freaking out about and being prejudiced toward humans born with mutant genes that let them do really weird things (X-men).  But other times, realism (Daredevil fight scenes) isn't what you should go for in the comicbook/Superhero series. 

I hope the EPs from Arrow get this lesson right because honestly, I think they need to just fast forward Laurel and make her competent - no more realism on her hero journey - just get her there. Retcon her a little if you can (say she was a gymnast in high school so Nyssa teaches her how to use those flips as fight moves or something) but otherwise, just get her there.  Have her save children from burning buildings - save women from getting raped - save an old lady from getting mugged - and let her do with well. 

Edited by nksarmi
  • Love 1

If the actor playing Howard Stark will be on another show, this is a bad sign for Agent Carter's renewal, isn't it?

Dominic Cooper to play the title character on AMC’s Preacher

By Kayla Kumari Upadhyaya  Apr 17, 2015 3:08 PM

http://www.avclub.com/article/dominic-cooper-play-title-character-amcs-preacher-218207

It doesn't have to be. Agent Carter can do the same thing it did, limiting Stark's presence. But also, both Agent Carter and Preacher have limited episodes. So depending on the scheduling, Cooper can still very much appear on AC if it's renewed (hoping it does get renewed).

Dominic Cooper was only in a few episodes of Agent Carter so I'm sure they can find a way to get him on for a similar amount of time if they get a season two. I'm much more interested in Peggy's relationships with Jarvis, Angie and Dottie, anyway. In any case I just want a second season to happen!

• Love 2

I hope the EPs from Arrow get this lesson right because honestly, I think they need to just fast forward Laurel and make her competent - no more realism on her hero journey - just get her there. Retcon her a little if you can (say she was a gymnast in high school so Nyssa teaches her how to use those flips as fight moves or something) but otherwise, just get her there. Have her save children from burning buildings - save women from getting raped - save an old lady from getting mugged - and let her do with well.

Put Laurel and Nyasa on the deserted island, let them train for x number of years, then Barry brings them back in time to the present! Presto, instant SORAS!

• Love 3
Dominic Cooper was only in a few episodes of Agent Carter so I'm sure they can find a way to get him on for a similar amount of time if they get a season two.

Yeah, but I really, really wanted to see them found SHIELD together. There was an in-story reason for him to only be in a half of AC's episodes, too, so it made sense - and even then, he was featured a lot in the finale.

I'm much more interested in Peggy's relationships with Jarvis, Angie and Dottie, anyway.

TBH, I find Angie horribly overrated. She's OK, but not nearly as great as some fans make her out to be. I'm all for female friendships and appreciate her existence and love the actress from Nikita (she played my favorite character), but nope. Dottie's kinda awesome though, Jarvis is also fun, but once again when it comes to comic book shows (Flarrow also has some examples), my favorite relationship is one that got little attention among the fans, Peggy/Howard. I'll still want a season 2, though, because Peggy can do no wrong, as far as I'm concerned, but I really wanted Howard too.

Re: Daredevil - I loved action scenes (they were one of the best things about the show), but I agree on Kingpin and even Matt, to an extent. However, he's still better than Oliver. At least he's not a hypocrite. Granted, I didn't hate Oliver in season 1 of Arrow too, it came later, so who knows.

Edited by FurryFury

FurryFury - I would love to hear why you don't like Oliver in his thread.  I'm asking because I have some issues with the character - the biggest reason I don't ship Oliver and Felicity is because I actually think he was right in the Flash when he said he wasn't emotionally well adjusted. But I tend to overlook his issues because he is the hero of the show - though that has been largely thrown into question this season in my opinion due to his refusal to bring Merlyn to justice (or even try and then his repeatedly stop others efforts to do so).  Anyway, if you wouldn't mind responding to me in the other thread - I'd love to read your reasons.

Yeah, but I really, really wanted to see them found SHIELD together. There was an in-story reason for him to only be in a half of AC's episodes, too, so it made sense - and even then, he was featured a lot in the finale.

TBH, I find Angie horribly overrated. She's OK, but not nearly as great as some fans make her out to be. I'm all for female friendships and appreciate her existence and love the actress from Nikita (she played my favorite character), but nope. Dottie's kinda awesome though, Jarvis is also fun, but once again when it comes to comic book shows (Flarrow also has some examples), my favorite relationship is one that got little attention among the fans, Peggy/Howard. I'll still want a season 2, though, because Peggy can do no wrong, as far as I'm concerned, but I really wanted Howard too.

Re: Daredevil - I loved action scenes (they were one of the best things about the show), but I agree on Kingpin and even Matt, to an extent. However, he's still better than Oliver. At least he's not a hypocrite. Granted, I didn't hate Oliver in season 1 of Arrow too, it came later, so who knows.

SA and the Arrow EPs keep saying how great James Bamford and the stunt crew is.  I guess they know what they're talking about.

Howard Stark was a major motivator in this season's Agent Carter but if the actor has limited availability, they can write around that. If the show does get renewed, there will probably be a different season arc anyway.  I didn't watch Nikita but I spent a lot of AC wondering what all the fuss about Angie was coming from.

If at all possible, I don't think CBS would schedule Supergirl against Flash or Arrow, if only because they're all from the same producer, and want to stay on good terms.

NBC scheduled Mysteries of Laura against Arrow.  For a while, I wondered if this season's mess was Berlanti's way of getting me to watch Laura instead.

FurryFury - I would love to hear why you don't like Oliver in his thread

Answered in his thread. Not really looking forward to the discussion because many of the reasons are subjective, though.

For a while, I wondered if this season's mess was Berlanti's way of getting me to watch Laura instead

I suspect Berlanti has had very little involvement with this season of Arrow.

Edited by FurryFury

Peggy/Angie shippers.

I don't ship them and I hated Fonseca on Nikita. I just think Angie is funny and works well as a friend for Peggy. I wouldn't miss her if she left the show but I enjoy the character because she's usually free from the spy action, which is why I enjoyed Will and Francie on Alias.

• Love 4
NBC scheduled Mysteries of Laura against Arrow.  For a while, I wondered if this season's mess was Berlanti's way of getting me to watch Laura instead.

Heh. True, but those two shows aren't that similar; I don't think they're aiming for the same audience.

• Love 1

Interesting speculation about casting for Captain Marvel movie...

‘Captain Marvel’ Cast, Plot Updates: Angelina Jolie to direct the movie? Female writing duo completes script
April 17 10:19 AM 2015   by Staff Writer
http://www.vcpost.com/articles/58767/20150417/captain-marvel-cast-plot-updates-angelina-jolie-direct-movie-female-writing-duo-completes-script.htm

Several Captain Marvel actresses are rumored to be potentially casted as Carol Danvers in the upcoming film. The long list includes Jennifer Lawrence, Claire Holt, Melissa Benoit, Katie Cassidy and Emily Bett Rickards. The plot of the film on the other hand will most likely focus on the origin of Carol Danvers powers. Carol Danvers leads a troop of elite jet fighters in the comic series.
Edited by tv echo

OK, wait Melissa Benoit was just cast as Supergirl.  Hell Claire Holt was also up for the role of Supergirl.  I could see Claire Holt or even EBR in the role although I think it's highly unlikely.  Then again, Robbie Amell just keeps getting movie roles, so who knows...

Yeah...there's no way any of those women are being seriously considered for Captain Marvel. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure if Marvel could get Jennifer Lawrence they absolutely would, but I don't see her tying herself to another franchise so soon after Hunger Games and X-Men. As much as I like the rest of those actresses, particularly Holt and the Arrow ladies, there's just no way any of them are even being considered IMO. I do hope Cassidy and Rickards book some good roles outside of Arrow soon though.

• Love 5

I liked Ben's version better and people use THAT role as the reason why he shouldn't play Batman.

That was my first thought while watching the pilot. I'll keep going with the show. I don't love or hate it yet.

Thoughts on the Batman v Superman trailer:

- A gritty and serious movie where a dark, brooding Superman comes to blows with a dark, brooding Batman. Yawn.

The who appeal of Batman and Superman coming together is their differences. Superman is an icon, a symbol of hope, optimism, and safety. (Which Man of Steel didn't bother showing) Seeing Superman's idealism coming face to face with Batman's darkness would be an event for the ages. But having them both be dark and angsty makes the meeting much less special.

I'm sure the movie will get Batman right, but Superman is screwed. DC/WB just doesn't get Superman. And that is just sad.

Thoughts on the Fantastic Four trailer:

- A moody and serious Fantastic Four movie. Seriously, who asked for this? The fact that Dr. Doom is going to be an anti-social blogger only makes things worse,

Captain Marvel writers officially set:

Nicole Perlman (co-writer of Guardians of the Galaxy) and Meg LeFauve (Pixar's Inside Out) will write the Captain Marvel screenplay.

This one is in good hands.

Thoughts on the rumored Captain Marvel lead:

*Jennifer Lawrence - I don't see Marvel signing anyone who refuses to sign a 9-picture deal. And given that Jennifer is abandoning the X-Men franchise after the next movie, I just don't see it happening.

*Claire Holt - I've only seen her in VD, and she was good there. I'd keep an open mind.

*Melissa Benoit - Supergirl won't be Captain Marvel.

*Emily Bett Rickards - Felicity won't be Captain Marvel.

*Katie Cassidy - Kill me now. Katie can't even carry a tv show, let alone a major film.

Edited by Lord Kira
  • Love 3

Not sure if this is the place for it and it's probably already been talked about, but what are your guys' thoughts on Arrow!Oliver against Smaillville!Oliver? And for that matter Oliver/Felicity and Oliver/Chloe? Neither of those shows stayed with canon on the whole Black Canary/Green Arrow romance.

I just read in the Agents of SHIELD forum that the AOS spinoff is going to star Adrienne Palicki and Nick Blood as Bobbi (Mockingbird) and Hunter.  Not sure how I feel about that.

On Gotham, they're starting to salvage the Barbara character.   When she was part of a couple with Jim Gordon, she was a whiny rich girl who had zero chemistry with Gordon.  Then they separated.  Now she's paired up with a serial killer and is showing a dark side.  The Arrow EPs could take a lesson from this...

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1